Camila's American Dream | Teen Ink

Camila's American Dream

By Ak261, Cypress, California
Ak261, Cypress, California

Summary:

“Mija, now that you are here with us, you know you are going to have to try to go back to normal life, right?”, My Tia Ines said on our way to the playground. “Next week I will enroll you into one of the schools and you will need to adapt to your new surroundings. Your family may not be here with you anymore mija, but you always have me and your Tio Sebastian.”
I nodded my head and sighed as I continued to walk with my Tia. I was too tired, mentally and physically, to even complain. Once we arrived to the playground, my Tia sat at the bench and watched me play on the swings. I ran into a boy with crystal blue eyes, hair lighter than the sun, and porcelain like skin. I stood in awe with how beautiful he was. The boy was speaking to me in English, and I stood there confused out of my mind. I didn’t know any English therefore I appeared to be a complete idiot in front of him. I managed to smile, point at myself and mumbe, “Camila!” The boy smiled and said, “Daniel!”. He placed his hand on my shoulder, smiled, and then walked away. I wish I knew the language, but more importantly, I wish I was back in Cuba, where I did know the language and where I felt at home.

Ak261

Camila's American Dream