The Summer | Teen Ink

The Summer

By sarahh12, Round Hill, Virginia
sarahh12, Round Hill, Virginia

The Summer

The first day of school is a day of fun, happiness, dread, and surprises. They are two types of surprises: good and bad. The first day of my senior year I got a surprise, and I still haven’t figured out if it was a good surprise or not.
You may be thinking oh great another suspenseful story about a teenager learning about her past, but you’re wrong. This is a story of remembering the past, leaving old memories behind, and starting over.

Finally it was the last day of my senior year. I made it through all the hard work, tears, and drama that lays within the walls of high school. I couldn’t wait to move out of the stupid town I called home. I wanted to go to UCSD (University of California San Diego), but my parents wanted me to go to the University of Maine. I wanted to go to college as far away from here as possible, and my sister, Marley, went to UCSD and Marley meant the world to me. I’m guessing you are confused about a lot of things, so let me start from the beginning and introduce myself. My name is Summer Shores I live in Stonington, Maine. It’s a small town where everyone knows everyone. It’s the type of town you would see in movies, cute stores downtown, beach houses up and down the harbor. Everyone always asks why I want to leave this beautiful place. I want to leave because I have never left this place, and I want to go somewhere where not everyone knows who I am, and I can make mistakes without everyone in town knowing. I’m 17 years old and I go to Hayden High School.  My two best friends are Merliah Summers and Brooke Rivers. I have known Merliah since we were two years old. Brooke moved to town in 6th grade and we have been best friends ever since. Brooke moved from New York when her parents split up. Her dad skipped town, and her mom was a relapsing drug addict, so she moved here to live with her grandparents. We all live walking distance from each other, and from the beach. I love them both so much I have no idea what I would do without them. Both Merliah and I hate living in a small town, so both of us applied to UCSD because we couldn’t imagine being apart from each other that long. Brooke loves living in a small town after growing up in such a big city she applied to the community college 50 miles outside of Stonington.

It was the last day of school, and I was in my room picking out my outfit when I got a call from Merliah.
“Hey hey hey what are you wearing today” she said and I could hear her smile through the phone.
“Jean shorts, my pink crop top, and sandals.” I replied grabbing my shirt from the closet.
“Adorable! If you were curious I am wearing my white tank top and short teal boho skirt.” she said with a hint of laughter.
“Of course I wanted to know”, I said, “When will you get here we have to meet Brooke in 10 minutes.”
“Look out your window” she said as I walked over to my window.
“Hey Summer” she said hanging up the phone.
“Hey Mer” I said smiling.
“Hurry up or we are going to be late” she said as she put her phone into her bag. I threw on my shoes as I grabbed a pin to hold back my extra hair. I grabbed my backpack and ran down the stairs.
“Good Morning mom” I said as I grabbed my protein shake from the fridge.
“Hey sweetie, ready for tryouts today?” she asked while she cut up watermelon.
“I’m a little nervous, but definitely ready.” I said as took the last sip from my breakfast.
“That's great sweetie, where is Merliah, I thought you girls had to meet Brooke at 8:30?” she asked looking up at me.
“She's waiting for me outside, so I’ll just grab lunch at school love you see you after tryouts!” I yelled as I ran out the door.
“Bye sweetie love you more!” she said turning back to finish cutting the watermelon.
“Hey we got to run Brooke is making us meet her at our spot.” Merliah said as she pulled down her skirt.
“Why that's the opposite way to get to school?” I asked confused.
“I don't know she said she had to tell us something.” she said rolling her eyes.
“Do you wanna take my bike it will be faster?” I asked gravitating toward the garage.
“Yeah sure that's a good idea” she said walking toward the garage door. I opened the door using the keypad on the side.  For my 16th birthday my parents bought me a baby blue scooter bike and told me that when I moved for college I could sell the bike and use the money to buy myself a car. I got a scooter bike instead of a car because nobody really uses cars around here. I walked into my garage and lifted up the seat pulling out two helmets. I gave the smaller one to Merliah, and grabbed my keys on the hook by my dads work table. As I got on the bike and put the keys in the ignition my phone started to vibrate. I pulled it out of pocket, and saw that Brooke was calling.
“Hey is everything ok?” I asked.
“Yeah um are you guys almost here?” she replied.
“Um well we are on our way now, but we are taking my bike so we should be there in about two minutes.
“Ok, well then I will see you in a few” she said.
“Ok kisses bye.” I said as she hung up the phone.
“What was that about?” Merliah asked.
“She was asking how far away we were. She seemed upset and worried” I said as I turned the keys in the ignition.
‘“Oh well then we better hurry.” Merliah said as she swung her leg over the seat. When she was comfortable I kicked up the kickstand, and sped off in the direction of Brooke.

When we got there I saw Brooke with sitting on the pier her legs dangling off almost touching the icy blue water below.
“Hey girly” I said as Merliah and I walked down the pier.
“Hey guys” she said wiping under her eyes.
“Is everything ok?” I asked as I sat down next to her.
“No, I have something really horrible I need to tell you. It’s about my future” she said as she turned to face us.
“What is it, you know you can tell us anything and everything right?” Merliah asked sitting cross legged on the edge of the pier, next to me.
“I know I know, um this is really hard for me to say, but um i’m moving back to New York.” she said looking down into the water.
“What?” both Merliah and I yelled together.
“I thought your mom was in rehab?” Merliah said putting her arm on my shoulder.
“She's been out for a couple of months, and I have been talking to her through email.” Brooke said looking at both of us.
“Why didn't you tell us?” I asked grabbing her hand.
“ I-I thought you guys would be mad that I was talking to her after what happened” Brooke said stuttering.
“We would never be mad at you, we may not agree with some of your choices, but that doesn't mean we are mad” Merliah said motionting toward her and I.
“Really?” Brooke asked.
“Yes we both love you with all our hearts, we may not have known you for that long, but we love and care about you so much” Merliah said with her sweet smile.
“I love you guys too” Brooke said as tears started to fill her eyes.
“Why do you have to move back to New York?” I asked.
“Since my mom is out of rehab she wants another chance with me to show she has changed and she doesn't need my dad and my grandparents. She wants it to be just us, and she wants me to go to college at NYU because it’s close to her apartment” Brooke said as tears started to run down her face.
“Oh Brookie,” I said as I wiped the tears off her face, “Do you have to move back, I mean why can't you say you don't want to leave, and you didn’t even apply to NYU” I said.
“Well there is some truth in that sentence” Brooke said looking down.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Your right I don't want to leave, but I really did apply to NYU. I also applied to UCSD, and I got in. I was planning on telling you guys today that I got in to both, and I was planning in going to UCSD with you guys” she said.
“Brooke are you serious? Why didn't you tell us sooner?” I asked looking back and forth between Merliah and Brooke.
“I wanted to surprise you with it today, so that this summer we could plan our dorm and what we were going to do in California. I am so sorry I never told you earlier” she said.
“Why did you apply to NYU?” Merliah asked.
“I thought that if I didn't make it into UCSD that I should apply to other big schools, so I had a second choice, and my grandparents mentioned NYU because when I was a little girl I said that I wanted to go there when I was older, and so I applied there not thinking I would have to chose to go there” Brooke said looking at us with a sorry look on her face.
“Oh my gosh I had no idea you would ever apply to UCSD you were set on the idea that you would go to community college here, so you could be near your grandparents” I said.
“When I told my grandparents about my idea they told me that I shouldn't keep myself from getting a good education as well as be with the best friends I have ever had just to take care of them” Brooke said as she splashed her feet in the water.
“Oh Brooke I wish your mom isn't making you move to New York, we would love if you came to UCSD with us. We both were hoping you would change your mind” Merliah said with a faint smile.
“Me too” Brooke said with a sad expression on her face.
“When do you have to move back?” I asked.
“End of the summer” Brooke replied.
“That's good! We have the whole summer to hang out and relive our old memories” I said giving Brooke a playful nudge.
“Yeah I guess so, I mean I still have to pack all of my stuff” Brooke said throwing a rock she found next to her into the water.
“We can help you pack so it will go faster” I offered.
“I don't know” Brooke said shrugging.
“Well think about it” I said
“Ok fine” Brooke said as a single tear fell down her cheek.
“Sorry to change the subject, but we have to go or we are going to be late for school” Merliah said as she stood help.
“Yeah you're right, come on Brooke lets go.” I said as I grabbed her arm to help pull her up.
“Did you bring your bike?” I asked Brooke.
“Yeah it's right here, I’ll meet you guys at school” she said as she hopped on her bike, and rode off.
“Someone has an attitude” Merliah said as she watched Brooke ride off.
“Well I mean she did just find out she has to move back to New York, and live with her ex drug addict mother. I would have an attitude too” I said as I threw my leg over my bike. “Hop on” I said to Merliah smiling.

When school was out Merliah came over to my house. I had invited Brooke, but she said she had to get home. Merliah and I walked into my house, and ran up the stairs to my room to get ready to go to the beach. Every year on the last day of school since first grade we would go to the beach and build sand castles, swim, play tag, and throw around a frisbee no matter how old we were. Either my parents or her parents would take us until we were old enough to go by ourselves. When Brooke moved to town we started to invite her along with us. Ever since then all three of us would go down, but this year was the first year Brooke didn't come with.
“I wonder why Brooke had to get home so quickly?” I asked Merliah.
“She probably went home to start packing, I mean if shes leaving at the end of summer that's not a long time to pack all of your things” Merliah said as she put on her bathing suit bottoms.
“Yeah I guess you're right, but I dont get why she wouldn’t just come with us at least for a little while. This is our very last day of doing this, and she's missing it to pack” I said as sat down in front of my vanity.
“Maybe there is something she isn’t telling us” Merliah said as she put her things in the corner of the room.
“Yeah I guess so” I said as I pulled my hair back into a fishtail braid. We grabbed are beach backpacks, and flip flops as we headed downstairs. I ran into the garage to grab my cooler, so that Merliah and I could pack food for the beach. When I opened the door I saw Brooke sitting on my dad’s work bench.
“Brooke!” I said as I jumped off the first step into my garage.
“Hey Sum” Brooke said as she said as she stood up.
“Why are you here?” I asked as I walked over to her.
“I wanted to come tell you why i’m not coming today” she replied.
“I already know, it’s because you have to pack for New York” I said walking over to the shelf where the cooler was.
“No, i’m not coming because I don’t think I can spend time with you guys, and hang out all summer long” she said as she ran her hand along the chair my dad was building.
“What do you mean?” I asked confused.
“I don’t think I can hang out with you guys and relieve all of the memories we made together over the years, it’s just going to make me even more upset then what I am right now, and I want to spend the summer with my grandparents because this may be the last time I will see them both together” she said.
“Why won’t you see your grandparents together again?” I asked
“They are getting older, and my grandpa is getting sick, and he may not be alive by next summer” she said glancing over her shoulder at the warm yellow sun outside the garage door.
“Brooke you can split your time between us, Mer and I weren’t expecting you to spend everyday of summer with us. We just to be able to see you and be with you before we all leave” I said, my eyes filling up with tears.
“Yeah I understand, but like I said me hanging out with you and Merliah will just me make more upset, and make leaving Maine harder than what it would be right now” she said.
“Are you serious Brooke? You don’t want to spend the summer with your two best friends doing everything you want. Did you ever think about how Merliah and I feel about this? We are going to miss you so much more than what we would have because now when we come visit from UCSD we can’t see you because you won’t be here. All you think about is yourself, and how you feel, and what you want and i’m sick of it. I am sick of you being selfish, and not caring more about Mer and I. I have always kept my mouth shut about how you make me feel, and I am tired of not telling you, and letting everything go. All I could think about today was you, and I thought about how were you going to do in a entirely new place with no other friends. I bet you only thought about yourself and how were just going to blow us off, so you could mope around and pack” I yelled.
“That is not true. I am not selfish if anyone here is selfish it would be Merliah!” Brooke yelled back.
“What the heck are you talking about? Merliah is not selfish. She is just a little tougher than others because of what she has been through” I said.
“Exactly!” That’s all I ever hear about how Merliah has had such a tough life, try having a drug addict for a mother, and having to leave everything behind to go live with someone you barely know!” Brooke yelled.
“See this is what i’m talking about. No matter what we are talking about you always find some way to make it about you. The whole world doesn’t revolve around Brooke. It never used to be this bad when we were little. I mean you were a little selfish, but what kid isn’t, but now it’s awful I can barely stand to be around you” I yelled as grabbed the cooler from the shelf.
“What are you talking about Sum?” Brooke said as she walked up closer to me.
“Don’t you dare call me that, you don’t have the right” I said as I started to walk to the door leading back to my house.
“What I can’t call you that because your sister called you that?” she asked as a smirk grew on her face.  My eyes started to water with the mention of my sister. My sister, Marley, and I were very close. She was eight years older than me but she was still one of my best friends. We did everything together. When I met Mer, Marley would hang out with us and do our hair, makeup, and teach us all about being a teenager. When Marley was old enough to drive she would take us to the beach, or go shopping. When Marley left for college both Mer and I were so upset. We hung onto her and screamed for her to not leave us, but Marley finally pulled us off. Marley always told us she would come visit, but that never happened. It was about two years after Marley left Maine when she was driving back to her dorms from visiting her boyfriend who went to a school about two hours away from UCSD. She was at a red light and was looking at her phone because she had gotten a text message. She didn’t realize the light was green, and a car hit her from the back which flipped the car into oncoming traffic. The rear end was not what killed her. A semi came from the passenger side and didn’t have time to stop, and went straight into her car. The police said she was dead when the semi hit her. My family was devastated when we found out. It took years before our family was whole again. I on the other hand was still healing because the notification she received was a text message from me. If I wouldn't have texted her she would still be alive today. I feel so guilty about what happened to my sister and I have never forgiven myself despite the therapy, and everyone telling me it was not my fault. My sister was one of the only people who understood me, and I killed her. Ever since my sister died everyone stopped calling me Sum because they knew she was the only one allowed to call me that, I wouldn’t even let Mer call me that.
“I hate you with every bone in my body!” I screamed as I got up in her face.
“What is going on in here?” Mer said as she opened the garage door.
“Oh great here comes everything-is-all-about-me” Brooke said as she rolled her eyes.
“What is your problem Brooke?” Mer asked as she came to stand next to me.
“I am so sick of you being so self-centered and always thinking about yourself and never other people it’s always me, me, me” Brooke said as she crossed her arms.
“Woah what the heck. I am not self centered just because I talk about my past sometimes doesn’t make me selfish. If anyone is selfish here it’s you Brooke” Mer said.
“Whatever, you two are just jealous I get to go live in New York, and that I lived somewhere other than this stupid little town” Brooke said with a smirk.
“You are such a brat!” Mer screamed.
“Oh my gosh Brooke I cannot believe you just said that” I said as a single tear ran down my cheek.
“Oh don’t be a baby and cry” Brooke said as she rolled her eyes.
“I am so sick and tired of you always being in a bad mood, or being mean to everyone no matter what we do. There are never any good days with you anymore” Mer said as she walked closer to me.
“Yeah because you guys are so annoying and selfish” Brooke said.
“Are you serious? Why didn’t you tell us you didn’t like us anymore instead of making us go through being upset everyday?” Mer said with a confused expression on her face.
“I didn’t tell you because I wanted you to be upset because you guys always hang out the two of you, and rarely ever invite me, and I am so sick and tired of it” Brooke said.
“You know what Brooke I don’t really care because I am so sick and tired of your attitude, and how you treat people. I can’t speak for Summer, but you and I are not friends anymore” Mer said as she started to walk back to the garage door.
“Fine with me I always hated you anyway” Brooke said as she rolled her eyes. Mer looked at her Brooke, rolled her eyes, and walked into the house shutting the door behind her. Brooke looked over at me to see what I was going to do or say next.
“Get out of my house now, and don’t ever come back” I said as I pointed toward the road. Brooke rolled her eyes, and walked out of my garage. When she left I ran back into my house, and went up to my room to find Mer crying in my bed.
“Oh Mer” I said as I crawled into my bed next to her.
“I-I just can’t believe she did this to us. I trusted her with so much and-and she betrayed me, and my trust” Mer said between sobs.
“Oh baby don’t worry about her she is probably just trying to burn her bridges so she won’t miss us and this place” I said putting my arm around her muscular shoulder. 
“Maybe you’re right” she said as she started to stop crying.
“I know i’m right, now lets go have an awesome summer, and forget about her” I said giving her a squeeze and stepping out of bed on the plush carpet filling my bedroom floor.

That summer Mer and I did some many fun things. We went to visit my grandmother in Kentucky and rode horses, and went swimming, and bike riding everyday. We did all the things we had wanted to do all of our summers before. We were so happy, and we never once saw or ran into Brooke. She was probably in her room packing, and spending time with her grandparents. We started packing for college around late July, early August because our school didn’t start until September. We packed up our car and trailer, said goodbye to our family, and left to start our new life in California. The hardest part about leaving was remembering all the memories we both had here in Maine. I knew I would be back to see my parents, but I couldn’t help thinking to myself I will never live in this town again. I was sad at first when I thought about that, but I knew I had a big, bright future ahead of me and I wouldn’t let anyone come in my way. Mer and I made a promise that we would never speak to Brooke again, and we have kept that promise. Now Mer is married with two little girls, and I am happily engaged with my dream job, and living in Laguna beach. I still miss Brooke, but I know my life wouldn’t be the way it is now if we would have never had that fight.