The Abyss | Teen Ink

The Abyss

By lovelypoet751, Elk Grove, California
lovelypoet751, Elk Grove, California

Author's note:

I was inspired to write this piece from the movie "The Babysitter".

DRIP! DRIP! DRIP! A young girl who lays curled with her knees tucked to her chin on the cold dusty cement floor awakens. As she gains her bearings she wipes the crust from the cracks of her eyes. Confused and scared she realizes that she does not have the slightest clue where she is. Through the dark, damp, and cold, she sticks her hands out to feel for things that may appear in front of her and drags her feet so she doesn’t get tripped by anything lying in her path. As time passes, her eyes slowly adjust to the pitched black which filled every corner of the mysterious room. She can now faintly see the things that fill the area. “Hello?” The young girls yells. “HELLO? ANYONE?” she shrieks, her voice shakey she continuously yells in desperation. Taking short steps in attempt to find her way out, she feels for the wall. Her hand traces a design that was carved into the rock wall which she assumed the whole room was made out of. Her fingers continuing to trace the print doesn't recognize any of the symbols or letters. Her foot struck something laying in the dirt on the ground. Startled she bends down and picks the item up. She dusts it off to realize it was a cell phone. She presses the buttons on it to see if it has any power… it does. Its battery life was 100%, as if someone had recently been down there to check on her and dropped it in the process. “Ring” Ring” The young girl drops the phone to the ground, she slowly turns her head to check her surroundings then proceeds to pick the phone back up. The phone read “ 1 New Text Message: Unknown”, she unlocks the phone and reads the text. “You're now belong to us”

The young girl quickly looked over her shoulders back and forth repeatedly. She looks down. With hands that trembled with fear she turns on the flashlight. She uses the light to get a clear look at the area she woke up in. Her gasps echoed in the room for she had just realized where she is. Shaken, she tries to remember how she got here. With a racing mind she came to the conclusion she was drugged by the man at the coffee shop. He’d sparked a conversation with the girl. She engaged because she was infatuated with his luxurious blond locks, smooth milky skin, muscular physique and glowing white smile. He was charming, in the short period of time they conversed. The man made her feel very special as though she could trust him. The girl has now came to the obvious conclusion that was a mistake. She’d told the young man at the coffee shop about an old church house she frequently passed on her daily jogs. She’d never been inside but put two and two together when she saw the extra church benches in the room. Now she was trapped in the basement. Thinking to herself as the text message replayed over and over in her head, she wondered who the other people involved may be? The girl continued to explore the room, as she took steps forward she sees a door. She runs quickly, sets the phone to the side as she violently presses her body against the door to open it. She struggles helplessly at the locked door. Desperately she flings her body into the wooden door mightly over and over until it finally slams open. She picks the phone backup and continues her search. In the distance she sees light coming from the cracks of a door. She sprints as fast as her feet can carry her. She reaches the door and turns the knob. She is blinded by bright light. Her vision distorted, she slowly steps forward. Gathering herself she notices silhouettes of people standing in front of her. She called out to them, “HELP! HELP! I’M BEING HELD HOSTAGE!”. The silhouettes start to walk towards the girl, as they get closer she recognizes one of the faces… It was the man from the coffee shop. In a panic the girl turns the opposite direction to run but she was cornered. “This is the end”, she thought to herself as they form a circle around the her. She begs them not to hurt her. “I’m innocent!” I have done no wrong to anyone”. They look at her and laugh, “That's exactly why we need you miss… You are pure”, One of them says. “What do you need me for?”, the young girl begins to cry. “We need your virgin blood miss.” We made a deal with the devil and we need your blood to honor it”. They walk closer to the girl. The man from the coffee shop is holding a knife. “NO PLEASE! PLEASE NO! GOD HELP ME PLEASE!”. The man presses the sharp knife against her skin and slowly makes a slit. Blood rushes to the surface of her skin causing the young girl to pass out. The man collects her blood in a dusty mason jar. Her blood filled all the way to the rim of the cup. Each of them takes a sip of her blood and soon darkness fills the room. They’ve just completed the last task needed to honor their deal. All the evil trapped in the bodies of the mysterious people vanished. One by one, they fell to the floor. Moments later, they wake up dazed and confused. They all look up at the man from the coffee shop and see he was holding the knife and the blood filled mason jar. They tie him up and call the police before fleeing the scene. Once the police arrive, they find the young girl lifeless on the ground with the man nowhere in sight. After a thorough search of the area the man was nowhere to be found.