Mortem | Teen Ink

Mortem

“But... why can’t you go?” Lily asked.
Samuel replied, “You know my parents. They would say no. They’re very protective of me.”
“Yeah your right. I guess a week in the Bahamas is a little bit too much to ask for.”
“Ha ha ha.” Samuel chuckled. He turned and smiled at his best friend, the friend he cared for the most, the person he loved was Lily. ‘Lily I..” he started to say, but a shattering cry interrupted his words. All of a sudden, a loud crack, like that of a gun, filled the silence that had entered their school hallway. In front of them appeared a man with a gun in one hand and what looked like a grenade in the other. “RUN”, someone behind them screamed. All hell seemed to break loose as people tried to run away from the shooter. Samuel and Lily fled as the man fired at them missing them but still injuring others at their side. “In here!” Lily shouted. She led Samuel into an older classroom. They ran through the doorway, just as the others who were in the classroom slammed it shut behind them. But they were not out of danger yet. The man slammed against the door which made everyone in the room jump with fear. “WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?” someone screamed. Samuel looked in the direction of the voice. It was Zachery, the kid who had pushed him down the stairs. “Barricade the door!” Lily yelled. Everybody looked around for anything they could use for a barricade between them and the shooter. Luckily,  the room was filled with lots of tables and chairs. Samuel ran toward the furniture, reaching for a table. As he grabbed it, another force tugged at the other end of it. John looked up expecting to see Lily on the other side, but was suprised to see Zachery. The two looked at each other, eyes full of hatred. They stared for a few more seconds as an understanding washed between them; they would settle their argument later. The two picked up the table and dragged it to the door, pushing it as close as they could. Other kids behind them started to hand them both chairs and desks. The two placed them underneath and on top of the table.
They did this for a good 3 minutes before they were satisfied with their work. Zachary and Samuel carefully crawled out of the wall they had just built from chairs and desks. “That oughta hold him.” Lily said.
“Don't say that! You'll jinx us!” Simon yelled.
“Oh come on!” Lily replied, “That's a bunch of mumbo jumbo.”
Just as she finished her sentence the doorway exploded, flinging chairs and desks everywhere. Several hit the student's, crushing their bodies. A girl screamed then stopped as abruptly as she had started as a the table that had been against the door crushed her. Samuel and Zachary were flung across a wall on the opposite side of the room, due to their proximity to the explosion. Just as Samuel tried to stand another explosion shook the room, flinging shrapnel into the screaming crowd of teenagers. As Samuel attempted to stand again he screamed, “LIly where are you?”. Samuel got to his feet and waited for a reply, but all he could here were the screams of the kids around him. “Lillian!” he screamed again. Samuel scanned the room for any sign of her but saw nothing. Just as if bad couldn’t get any worse, the man he had seen in the hall stepped through the doorway, gun in hand. “Everyone out!” he screamed as he shot a bullet into the air. “Into the hallway, NOW!” Everyone moved at once. It was as if they had been put into some kind of trance. “No.” he heard a girl say. Everyone, including the man, turned at once in the direction of the voice. It was Lily! Samuel moved towards her. “What are you doing?” he exclaimed in a whisper. “He’s just gonna kill us no matter what we do.” she replied.
“Quiet!” the man screamed. “Come here!” he ordered her.
“No.” she said again. The man seemed so infuriated at this. He took two big strides and arrived right beside her. He stared at her for a few seconds then said, “Didn't you hear me? I said come here!” He grabbed a fistful of her hair. “AH!” Lily screamed in pain.
“Let her go!” Samuel yelled and kicked the man in the shin.
The man winced and backhanded Samuel. “Lookie here! It seems like we’ve got a love story. It would be a real shame if something were to happen to it!” he said as he pointed the gun at her head. A deathly silence filled the room.
“WAIT!” Everyone jumped at the sound of the loud voice. “We will make an example out of them.” said another man in the doorway.
“That’s exactly what I was about to do!” the man pointing the gun at Lily said.
“Not here Shamus. In front of the hole school.”
“Don’t make me shoot you too, Leonard!” the one named Shamus replied. “Don’t forget, your not in charge of me.”
“You’re absolutely right” said a cold voice. “But I can order you both” Shamus and Leonard straightened as another man stepped through the doorway. His voice had a slight British accent to it. He was much taller than the other two and had two large scars on each cheek. In between the scars was a face that would make the devil himself tremble with fear. His left eye was red like blood while the other was as black as the soul of Saten. “BRING THEM!” he bellowed. “ALL OF THEM!”
“Yes, Lord Blackwell!” they both said in unison. Leonard who was closest to the door motioned to someone outside and three men, all with guns, stepped inside. The one called Shamus grabbed Lily reached over and grabbed Samuel by the arm and pulled him close. “I’m gonna enjoy watching you die.” he whispered into his ear. Samuels face was filled with fear as he contemplated what he said.