The storm | Teen Ink

The storm

March 8, 2017
By Fluffyzoom, Marysville, Washington
More by this author
Fluffyzoom, Marysville, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

a game called: Life is strange
and a moment from my life

I was sitting on the light-brown window bench looking out the window. I saw a light in the distance flickering, making the cold night more interesting. As roaring winds and piercing rain were blowing from the sky, I saw my faint reflection in the glass; green eyes, black hair, blurred by the rain droplets sliding down the pane. I was jolted by the yelling voice from outside. I could feel their emotions. They were very worried and frightened.

“I can’t find her! Should we call 911?” Barking over the rain was a figure with a girl’s voice, that I could barely make out. However I do know that they were wearing a huge jacket.

“Yes, and send the ambulance, just in case if we find her and she is hurt,” another person calmly exchanged over the howling winds. His voice was booming.
       
        Then at that moment a big rock about two or three meters away from me, shot through the window, shattering it into millions of pieces. A huge gust of wind pushed me back so hard that I fell to the ground off of the window bench, the weight of gravity was crushing. I fell on the sharp glass pieces and they dug into my skin, sending sharp channels of pain through my left side, and a dark pool of blood were gathering under me. I could smell the metallic scent arising from the freshly cut wounds. I clenched my body into a ball absorbing the pain to heal, I could still hear the voices outside speaking.

“Oh no… Our window is broken! How are we going to fix it? It will cost so much money,” exclaimed the worrisome lass.

“We can’t worry about that right now! We need to find her!” his voice echoed a hint of resonant anger.

“Fine fine fine, but don’t be so over-protective. She’s sixteen, I bet she’s fine”

“Well, I bet not! Let’s go!”

I have to find that girl for them! I thought.

        I stood up to oppose the pain in my side, but I fell over clumsily like a rag-doll. The second time I tried, I could just barely stand up straight, so I walked slowly wincing at every step, as glass dug deeper into my flesh. I turned around behind me, and saw a big puddle of my dark blood. The stench turned rotten. My face contorted with disgust at the foul aroma.

        I’ve lost too much blood, I need to hurry. I thought to myself. I ran outside, ignoring the agonizing pain that kept stabbing at me. I was also freezing, my body temperature was going way below than it should've been, and the winds kept knocking my fragile body over. After a while of running trying to find the girl. Finally I saw her. The child was hanging for her life on a thick brittle branch, screaming for help. Under her was a rush of water roaring quickly through the trees. She was crying with despair so pure, it hurt to even think about. She had a cut on her flustered cheek, and light translucent blood was slowly dripping down. Above her were two male figures standing and laughing hysterically, voices drowned out by the weather.

“Ohhh?? Is the little baby going to cry? Well, screw you, that’s what you get for messing with us” the man who said it, made me furious with his words.

“Yeah! Actually mate, she wants to act like she is all grown and mature, but, grown and mature adults don’t cry when a little water gets on them! Come on, don’t you want to swim?” the other one rudely exclaimed.

        I felt action was needed, so I decided to imitate the sound I heard from many others, I screeched like a female wolf warning them to go away before I would attack.

“Did you hear that, dude? We should go…”

“Yeah, I don’t wanna die, at least not today!” And with that they ran away leaving the child to die. I tried to run over to save the child,

I don’t know if I can do it, but I know I can try!

        One by one my paws were hitting the cold moist ground, feeling them slowly sink in and pushing back up to start another cycle. The mud squished into my claws. I felt the dirt dig itself into the crevices of my toes, I shivered in disgust but I kept running. My gashes were sore and seemingly numb now, but as I ran they began to peel open. I almost stopped at the pain, but realized if I hesitated to help myself, I wouldn’t make it in time. A mix of fear and mold permeated my senses.
I glanced over to the girl. The damp tree was giving way to the weight of the innocent child. I watched in terror as the branch leaned down as if to pluck me from the earth. The whole tree shuddered as a furious gust of wind penetrated it’s habitat. The tree bent one way, then the other as it tried to rebound from it’s unnatural state.
SNAP.
       

The piercing horrified scream from the girl almost shattered my eardrums, as she began her descent. She crashed into the water, and was swept away through the monstrous dark waves of fury.
I looked up, the pain in my side was gone but, the memory still remained of the girl falling. A horde raindrops splashed onto my face. Then I saw her with a group of other girls talking, with the same boys who let her die. They seemed to be arguing and I could hear and see them clearly, from a hidden bush.

Was this all just a dream? I thought.

“Hey, can you be more mature? I know my friends are being stupid-” The girl who died, last time was cut off, she had brown hair, a little poofy, and green-hazel eyes.

“Jeez Max ya don’t gotta blame us.” one of the girls said next to her jokingly. She was too far away for me to see her features. She nudged Max, playfully and Max looked over annoyed.

“I know my friends are being stupid, but seriously, grow up, and ignore them. You are older than us, so I don’t understand why you’re getting so mad.” Max said with a stern voice. But then the older boys faces all got scrunched up as if they had an intent of murder. I flinched.

“Come on Max, let’s go” said Max’s friend, worried. As her friends ran, forgetting about Max, she stood there, with a cold look in her eyes at the boys.

        And then, I knew what was going to happen. They were going to push her down, and I  realized that I had traveled back in time. So I ran right in front of max and yowled as loud as I could. To scare away the two boys who were going to destroy her life. They ran away just like in the other timeline, but this time, the girl was in no danger because I saved her. I turned around to face the pale faced child, she was shocked to see an animal saving her, but she pet me on the head and said...

“Thanks, Pandora... Thank you so much.” she started to cry. Tears were flowing down her cheeks onto me, mixed with the water from the rain and Max’s tears. I tasted the smell of salt, and she picked me up. I was shocked at first, but then I rested in my owner’s arms as we walked home together in the pouring rain.

Thanks Max.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.