Betraying friend | Teen Ink

Betraying friend

December 10, 2016
By djdahvie13, lafayette, Colorado
More by this author
djdahvie13, Lafayette, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dustin was working on his math homework when he saw his best friend Ryan hanging out  with her cheerleading squad. Dustin and Ryan had been best friends way before high school. They practically considered each other siblings since they had been living next to each other and hanging out since they were 2 years old. Even though they were both from different sides of the social pyramid. Dustin was more into comics , math , and video games. While, Ryan was more a total girly girl. She loved shopping, was the captain of the cheerleading team, and had endless guys dreaming about her. One thing they both had in common was their love for music, and going to shows.
The monday at school started out like any other, everyone complaining about how much they despised waking up early , going to school etc. Mounts of students rushing to class so they won’t be late. Dustin was already sitting down in his usual sit where him and Ryan would usually wait for eachother. Lately Ryan had been getting to school late and smelling of booze and marijuana. A lot of his fellow classmates had been saying that they seen Ryan at parties drinking heavily and messing with drugs. He always wanted to ask Ryan about the subject but every time he would bring it up , she would come up with an excuse and walk away.
“Hey Ryan!” Dustin waved as he saw his best friend walk in the door to the room.
Ryan looked over at Dustin and completely ignored him. He immediately started freaking out , and thinking what he did wrong for his best friend of all this years to ignore him. ‘I'm going to confront her after class because we have this concert tonight’ he thought to himself. The class when on and he tried to text her but she would just leave them on read and would not reply. Ring ring , the class bell alerted them that class was over. Ryan grabbed her things and started pacing out of class she knew Dustin was going to say something to her. Dustin noticed and quickly got her and stopped her before she was able to get out of the classroom.
“ What the hell is your problem? You haven’t replied to me and you completely ignored me when I was saying hi to you.” Dustin started smelling the liquor, “ Are you drunk right now?”
“Shut up Dustin , are you dumb or something ? I didn’t say hi because I don’t want to be your friend. You're a nerd, and I can’t be seen with you anymore, And by the way find someone else to go to the show with. I made plans with other people!’ Ryan said at Dustin leaving with a mean smirk and the faint smell of fireball.
Dustin could not believe what he just went through. Ryan and him had fights before but nothing serious. He couldn’t get over the fact that she was so mean and said all those hateful things to him. The rest of the day in school was horrible, he kept feeling sick to his stomach. Once school was over he started driving over to the venue , when he just broke down and started crying. At first he was so mad that Ryan had been such a horrible person to him but now he felt worried about what was going to happen to Ryan if she continued down this path. She was such a smart girl, she just couldn’t let her throw herself into that black hole so young.
Hours passed and the show had begun , Dustin was so excited to see his favorite band despite everything that happened that morning at school.Through the whole show he got to stand barricade and sing his heart out. When the band play Ryan and his song he begun tearing up when he saw her crowdsurfing. Maybe this was a sign that he could not give up on their friendship but when he try to hug her over the barricade she ran. Dustin could help but notice the drinking bracelet she had on her right arm. How did she get that , if she wasn’t twenty one he thought to himself. The show ended and he was glad that this day was almost over. Suddenly in the parking lot of the venue he saw Ryan on floor covered in vomit. He rushed over to find out she was unconscious. He began furious on the thought of someone just leaving her there to die. He rushed her into the car and drove to the hospital. His mind became flooded with different thoughts, why is he helping her after all that she said to him earlier, why can’t I just be just as mean and leave her. Dustin immediately snapped out of it and remember all of the laughs , the shows , the memories , the sleepovers. He could never do that to her.
As soon as he got the hospital, he rushed her into the emergency area where the doctors took her in and told him to please wait outside. During the process he called Ryan’s mom and his own mom to tell him what was going on. A few hours passed and the anxiety was killing Dustin. The doctor came out and let them know that Ryan had reigned conscience and wanted to see Dustin before anyone else. Dustin shocked by the request followed the doctor to the room where Ryan layed in bed with ivs and different types of medical equipment connected to her.
“I’ll leave you two to talk.” The doctor grinned and left the room.
“I’m so sorry I made you go through this Dustin, I don’t deserve you as a friend at all.” Ryan said as she started sobbing.
“You don’t have to apologize, I am your best friend and that’s why I am here.” Dustin leaned in for a hug. Ryan continued crying , feeling like the worst person in the world , she thought how could Dustin still be there for her even though she had been the worst to him.
“I am so sorry , I told you all those horrible things this morning. I always want you to be my friend and if you ever see me doing stupid stuff don’t be afraid to sit me down and talk to me.” Ryan said cleaning the tears in her eyes.
“Let’s start fresh , like that never happened.” Dustin smiled.
“Deal.” Ryan said.
“Hi, I am Dustin and best friend is Ryan.” They both giggled and hugged it out , as the moms walked into the room.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.