A Nerd's Guide to Middle School: 6th Grade | Teen Ink

A Nerd's Guide to Middle School: 6th Grade

September 29, 2016
By NEndicott BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
More by this author
NEndicott BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstien
"Sometimes what is right is not popular, and whats is popular is not right"
-Albert Einstien


There is always that one kid who is the school nerd, well that’s me. My name is Nathan Edwards and I’m the kid who loves science and gets straight A’s, this is my story. Welcome to A Nerd’s Guide to Middle School: 6th grade. It’s halfway through the 1st quarter and I’m walking to my first period, math, which means I’m in the class of Mr. Couch, the most strict 6th grade teacher, well to everybody else. I grab my binder and go to his classroom, the closest to the 6th grade wing door. I get to the classroom and sit down, first again. “Ah, Nathan I’m glad to see you” Mr. Couch says.
“Thanks you, sir” I say, “It’s good to see you too”. At that point Justin Eagle walks in, he’s the school bully, as the other kids walk in Justin starts to pick on the other kids in class, “Justin!” I yell to him.
“Well, well, well, look who we have here, the nerd what are you going to do hurt me with facts, lame” he gloats to me.
“Justin, do I need to send you up to Mrs. Shake, again” Mr. Couch says.
“I’d like to see you try, old man” Justin says, because of this Mr. Couch sends Justin up to the office.
“Now, let’s continue class” Mr. Couch says. The period was about an hour long, an hour of pure ratios and algebra, just how I like it. The bell rings 5 times marking passing period is about to begin. “Ok everyone we have a quiz tomorrow, so study and get to bed early” Mr. Couch says. The class leaves to their lockers, but because I have my binder I go straight to my second period, Social Studies, my social studies teacher is Mrs. Sanvitch. When I walked in to the classroom, I instantly went to the teacher’s desk and started to get everything ready. When Mrs. Sanvitch walked in she smiled and said, “Oh, good you’re here”
“I’m always here” I replied. When everyone else was in the room, Mrs. Sanvitch took attendance, to do so she called everyone’s names out except one girl’s. “Savanna” she said “Savanna Lowlight, does anyone know where Savanna Lowlight is”, she continued the class, 5 minutes later Savanna Shows up to class, before Mrs. Sanvitch can ask why she’s late, Savanna leaves for the bathroom. About 10 minutes later savanna isn’t back so at this point she told me to dial up the office on the phone, so I did, when the office picked up the lady said “Jenson Middle School, how may I help you?” Mrs. Sanvitch replied with “This is Mrs. Sanvitch”.
“Hi Mrs. Sanvitch, what’s the reason for your call?”

“Savanna Lowlight has been out of class for 10 minutes now” Mrs. Sanvitch says
“We will send someone to find her” the lady says. After class I walk to the band room and get my saxophone ready to play. That class is another class I have Justin with. When I finish putting it together, Justin decides to trip me, because of this I fall on my saxophone straight into a drum set and it dents so bad I can’ play it. Mr. Soy the band director, lets me borrow one of his so he can get mine fixed. After 3rd Period we go to lunch, my personal most difficult part of the day. I walk in the cafeteria and walk to a table after I get my lunch and the kids there say they are saving a spot, in fact everyone does this but the few friends I have. I walk over to the “nerd” table and sit down. Because we are the only ones at this table, we have created a group devoted to tutoring and homework help, we call ourselves “The Nerd Squad“, in the group is myself, Jason Skeggs, a gaming geek, I know what you are thinking, but he’s a geek not a nerd, well we count geeks as nerds too, we have a great girl gamer named Aubrey Johnson and science enthusiast like myself, and last but not least we have Cameron Smite a dubstep artist, in fact while writing this I’m listen to his music. Anyways, we were sitting at the small round table, Aubrey was studying the periodic table, Jason was playing his phone, and Cameron was using his dubstep DJ booth the “Double Ultra Bass Speaker Transdisc Electronic Player, or DUBSTEP, for short” to work on a song. “How’s the song going cam?” I asked. He had his head phones on so he could not hear me, so I shook him. “What” he yelled.
“How is your song” I asked. At that point he unplugged the headphone jack and loud dubstep blasted through the whole cafeteria. The whole cafeteria ended up just dancing. Cameron plugged it into the light systems and had a laser light show. The principals ended up running in and told Cameron to turn off the music, of course the music was too loud for him to hear them, so they unplugged DUBSTEP. All went quiet. Jason thought this was outrageous, so he yelled “You can’t stop the DUBSTEP from coming back, it will always come back!” he yells.

It’s now Quarter 2, Cameron still hasn’t gotten DUBSTEP back, I was walking to school when I see him sitting on a curb looking lost and confused, I almost forgot what he looked like, mainly because I haven’t seen him after the incident of what is now called “The Lunch of DUBSTEP”, I sit down next to him, “What’s wrong Cam?” I ask.
“I feel so… empty and… lost… ever since DUBSTEP was taken” he replies. We talk until the bell rings. “Well, see you later” he says before I leave. After school I walk home and remember he gave me the schematics for DUBSTEP. I bolt home and get the blueprint out and bring it to the garage where the tools are and start working.
The following morning, I did not fall asleep, I only completed half of DUBSTEP but it is so large I put it in the third car garage for later. I walk to school to find the school had been broken into, the news says the only thing that was stolen was a large Double Ultra Bass Speaker Transdisc Electronic Player. Cameron found out first and was devastated, at that moment a spark inside me told me I must complete DUBSTEP, but this time I’m calling it DUBSTEP R, or Double Ultra Bass Speaker Transdisc Electronic Player Remastered. After school I sprinted home, into the garage and started working on DUBSTEP R. At about 8 Pm, I finished it, DUBSTEP R has 4 speakers, 2 turn tables, 50 switches, 47 dials, 57 sliders, and 10 Bass Cannons! The Next day, I bring in DUBSTEP R and plug it in, put in Cam’s favorite song and blast in through the intercom systems, but the trick is, that it’s not at the school, it’s at home! Throughout the day there is dubstep playing and school is great. A few weeks later, Cameron get dubstep privileges back. There is only 2 weeks left of 2nd quarter, and Jason was right about DUBSTEP coming back.

It’s now quarter 3, and I have gym with Aubrey and Cameron. We walk in and look around to see who’s there, and we see Justin Hawk! “Oh, no!” I yell.
“What?” Cameron and Aubrey ask.
“It’s Justin” I say.
“Don’t worry I’ve got your back” Aubrey says. Justin walks over and says
“Well, well, well, looks like the nerds.”
“Watch what you say Justin” Aubrey says.
“What are you going to do, hurt me with homework” Justin said. During class I was talking to Cameron, “Cameron I want to write a book” I say.
“A book, that’s impressive, he says “How are you going to do that”
“You know the website Teen ink, that’s what I’m going to use to publish it”
“Good luck, Nathan” Cameron says. The next few weeks of the year are pretty boring, just homework, tutoring, and writing my book.

Its 4th quarter now and I’ve recently tried an escape room, I had so much fun, though we didn’t make it out. My parents have grown attached to these games, they have been wanting to do more escape rooms, and decide to open an escape room, Locked In, when we had bought a space for the business we had to go through a long time period of no work whatsoever, when the walls were built we had to make the rooms. A couple of months later, the rooms were complete, but when we had our shirts, logo, and marketing, another escape room opened with the same name as ours! We were forced to change our name so we chose Escaped in Time, back at school, everything was great, I was getting more of my book done, Justin decided to leave me alone, and people are starting to accept me. I just got one of my newest articles for Teen ink published.
The end of the school year was near, that means no more 6th grade, and into 7th grade, that also means, no more Mr. Couch, Mrs. Sanvitch, Mr. Uberhat, and no more Mrs. Drummer or science. This is the end of my story, and the beginning of the 7th grade year.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.