born on this side | Teen Ink

born on this side

By 4teenliars BRONZE, Greater Manchester, Other
4teenliars BRONZE, Greater Manchester, Other

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Author's note:

it is inspired by the class system of England

i want to get a message across for teens out there like me who feel alone

I will tell some background of Greater Manchester. It is split into Parts-Lancashire, Cheshire, Derbyshire, West Yorkshire and Merseyside. Most people know Lancashire, Cheshire and West Yorkshire. So to every county there is class system. In Cheshire, there are very very very rich areas and not so rich poor, “benefit street” areas. This is just my opinion but this is how the part I live in is like. Anyway every kid has their own daily “struggles” for what part of the world they live in. A rich kid always has it easy than any “poor” kid. I know this I just know this. It is something you learn if you watch the news too much and look at the district you live on a daily basis. There are some districts in Greater Manchester that you wish that was your district but when you wake up you are reminded that is where you live. The district I live is very much like a Village. EVERYONE knows EVERYONE.EVERYONE has a connection to EVERYWHERE. So everyone is just quite close but only a handful of kids will make it out of that district and have a life. I travel an hour to school, to go to a school outside of my district because most of the schools in my district are BAD. Most people in my district have kids at the age of 16 or have left school at 14-16. I have a plan and I want to have a future. I know at the moment I will be the geek and none of the boys will love me but I do not care. Because when I grow up I know I will be the cool one with my dream job. Do not get me wrong I love where I live because it is safe. Moreover, because everyone knows everyone nobody robes anyone.AT 10PM everyone will be inside so you can sleep in peace. Not like London where the city never sleeps. I can never sleep when I go there because of all the sirens. But in the village everyone can sleep. I like my village is really nice. You could call it a Morden Village. I live in a Morden Village of Cheshire of Greater Manchester. So I just described where I live in great detail.
Welcome to part of the city I live in.
x
Chantel

This is most people opinion of me for me going to go to a school outside the district
“what a snob she thinks that she is all about so she cannot go to school in the district. You will do in any school you go to.”
Or
“I am happy for her she is taking her life in hands and doing something about it.”
I leave early for school and I come home later for school. I travel to school on one of 10 school buses provided by the council for children going to school outside the district. But they want to stop all of that and makes us pay for our transport to school. Some councils have already done that or some councils do not even provide transport. So the bus company at certain times of the day stop in front of schools so that it is like a school bus for the kids who do not have school buses going to their areas so they have to use public services. My school bus does not even stop nowhere near where I live because there is only like 3-6 children that live on the part of the district that goes my school so I have to walk 20mins to the bus stop and wait for 5-15 mins for the bus to come. Then travel on the bus for 45-60 mins to school. Now guess what time I have to wake to be able to get to school ON TIME.6AM everyone Monday to Friday. I will be in the next district when all of my primary school friends are just waking up. Now you will ask why do I do this. My reason is I have to make it in life. My parents did not just struggle to get to England for nothing. I have to make it count. You will know what I mean if you’re the children of immigrants.
“the parent's struggle, the children reap the benefits and the grandkids have no clue”
The rules and regulations that stopped them for being the best they could be are what you must take advantage of and become the best you can best you can be. That was pretty dead but oh well. I described I do not know what described you decide
    I was born in London and I moved to Manchester when I was 1.
“Born in London, bred in Manchester and hopefully die on American or Canadian or Australia soil”
That is my saying. It is like Born, bred in (where you live) but I was born somewhere and moved and planning to move again. I might go up top or down low.

Jobs = money. The better the job the more the money. Jobs in a Village tend to be old factories and working in the small business around. So if you want to be like a dentist you make to travel to the “city”. So in my village many people either work in the factories or the small business making very little money. The people with the best paid jobs are the people who work in the new “Morden” factories. What I mean by “Morden” factories are the factories that are not built on the old mill lands.
Or in my district a lot of people “own” their business. Which they basically control how much they want you to cost them. Some people take advantage then there are people who cost right. But then you also have people who know too much people so they have to charge them nothing and they literally earn nothing.
The most popular jobs are check out person, in man, ice cream man, bin cleaner, window cleaner, mechanic, selling cars, shop owner, cleaner, builder, dinner lady, child minder. Or the popular is to have none at all.
But to have a job in the village is good cause once your employed you stayed employed. It just now recently that some of the factories are letting people go. But if anyone has lost their job in the factories it is normally they have been sacked.
Most of the jobs in the village have been there for year. For example, my dad said that where he works some of the men have been there since they were 16. Wow.
Then there are the bad jobs such as Drug dealing. I think that is worst one at the moment because I think it is the only one. But they mostly sell weed and nothing else I think. But there most common thing to sell is weed as there only customer are young naught teenagers (not me) that smoke and cannot afford an e-cigarette they smoke real cigarettes and the weed.
So yeah this is nice.
This is the jobs that are in the part of the city I live in
Chantel
X

Friends are the people that are not family but they feel like they are. You make friends with what you have in common and your interests. This is how I choose my friends.
My friendship groups are music and school and church. When I talk to my friends I can talk and enjoy my time spent with them. But the problems are they all live far away. What I mean by this is friends in a walking distance. This is the things I miss out for going to school ages from home.
Also I do not how to say this. But I am raised a different way from most of my friends. So I am mentally mature than most people in my year so I find it hard to make friends that I enjoy their company. Then when I make friends I am always underrated which just sucks. It gets to me a lot because I did not enjoy primary school for loads and loads of reasons. When you come to a school where you think that people are mature they will not be. So it is so hard to make a friend.
I was in the nursery when I found my friend for life. She went to church with them and was raised similarly to me. But she moved away. It hurts now to know that I do not where she is or how is doing. Because I feel very lonely. Not that I do not have any friends but they are ok. But this one girl we had a lot of things in common. I loved her so so much. I really wished she stayed because I feel that all these problems are caused because I am still looking for her in a way. I am 13 now and the last time I saw her was when I was 6 or 5. So nearly 8 or 7 years now since I saw her. Sometimes I wonder if she ever thinks of me or even remembers me. Sometimes I feel silly for mopping about a girl that probably never remembers me.
All my good friends are older than me. That is because I find it easier to understand them and interact with them. I am mentally older by 3 or 2 years. So it kind of makes sense. My closest friend at the moment is a girl from music who is in the year above me. She has been there for me for a lot of things and she still loves me and we get along like we have known each other for years and years.
Friendship is not forced it has to be natural like a baby
X
Chantel

I am 13 years old and I use public buses a lot. I know there are this and this buses going here where I should get off if I get them. Where the bus station is and stuff like that. If I am walking home places I should not enter alone. How I cross the road. I can walk from school home even though it would take me long I can know what do if I miss the stop or something like that. I do not rely on my parents to take mine everywhere I go. I am a teenager I should be able to things like this on my own.
I know an awful lot of people who are not independent and they are 3-4 years older than me. Independence is a lesson you teach yourself. If you want to have independence, you will have it if you don’t it is not going to come. There are some life lessons only you can teach yourself, independence is one.
Most children in my village are independent because from 6 years we all had to learn that if you want something nobody is going to get it for you but you.
I am glad I grow up on the council estate and not my daddy piggy bank
The quote is basically telling you that the council kids knew how the reality of life and the rich kid only knew the life that was shown to him.
X
Chantel