Death and His Companion | Teen Ink

Death and His Companion

By M.Boecher BRONZE, Gulf-Shores, Alabama
M.Boecher BRONZE, Gulf-Shores, Alabama

"We all want progress but if you're on the wrong road progress means doing an about turn and walking back to the right road in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." C.S. Lewis

Dear People,

Here I am, the most dreaded thing in the world. People do not know who I am, but the thought of me drives them insane. I should have my feelings hurt being the top fear and most hated thing in the world. Ahh... don’t feel sorry for me you hate me too. You quiver at the thought of me. Even the bravest man fears me. For I am death, the transporter between worlds, I take the living into the land of the dead.

I’ve always been intrigued by you people. Always the ones that go down fighting, the soldiers especially they die for a cause. So sweet.. haha I used to think they were foolish knocking on my door knowing their fate before I even answered, they dreaded me. Then, I realized those foolish humans knew they were going to die so why not die for something. I also like your naming system. When I cradle your body in my arms as I take you to THE DESTINATION, you whisper me your names and of those you loved, so beautiful. While I travel back from THE DESTINATION I whisper those names and the sound of them fill me with hope. I can’t say what kind of hope. Not because I’m hiding it, but because I don’t even know. I probably never will. The people that I am still fascinated by to the day, are the suicidal ones. I laugh at their feeble attempts to gain control. They can’t get control over their life so they think maybe they can over death. But hah are they wrong. I don’t even know what happens once I deliver you to THE DESTINATION, but you live your whole life waiting to get there.

Sometimes I wish that I could live amongst the humans one day. I would love to laugh at your jokes. I would cry until my throat ached and my face dripped with remnants of salt and water. Everyone asks me what I look like or how old I am. I have never answered anyone, but I look like everything, yet I am nothing. I am as old as the oldest person, but as young as the youngest. I can’t be measured or comprehended by your mortal minds.

You people try to understand things that even the smartest mind can’t. You hate to not know the next step after your life, I like to think life is the prologue to death. You live once for a couple decades sometimes shorter. But you stay dead for eternity. You are born mortal, but become Immortal. You think of death as a curse, but maybe life is.

As soon as I cradle you in my arms I breathe into you immortality. You hate me,yet, I give the one thing you long for, IMMORTALITY.

When people meet me they ask if I am god. I laugh at them, ha, if I am god then I would offer you no hope I can’t save you from me. I AM emotionless. I AM not good nor evil. I AM DEATH. I fill your homes and hospitals and this thing called dread follows me. It fills the living while I fill only the dead. Am I god? No.. I am DEATH, nothing else and nothing more.

People ask me what happens after life, but I don’t know. I have never experienced death nor life.
Death is not a black space it’s the knowledge of everything. It sounds awful, but I have heard it’s quite nice. But it’s not like your mortal life on earth. You feel no emotions. I know it’s hard to understand for your simpleton minds. But that’s all death is, it’s understanding.  It can’t be called good or bad, because it’s neither. It’s everything yet nothing.

All I can say is you will one day see my glorious face and understand everything. You will know what everything feels like yet how nothing feels. So bye until then.

Your ENEMY,
     Death.

P.S If you decided to read this letter to feel consoled. Ha.. This will not console you because I confirmed to you your fears. Death is different to everyone and even I don’t know what it is. Only the IMMORTALS know.

Dear Death,
Well, I happened to come across this letter while I was on my daily walk. It’s probably just someone’s paper for some high school philosophy class. But here I am writing a letter to Death ha... I have a genetic disorder the doctors are surprised that I still am alive. I have felt your warm embrace and your hot sticky breath on the back of my neck before. I have always welcomed you. But you never take me.  I don’t fear you anymore. I do fear that I am writing this letter to you because I am lonely and I pity you. Imagine that I pity you! I PITY DEATH.. Ha. Well, I don’t know how to send a letter to death do I burn it?.. That sounds very stereotypical doesn’t it ha.. but we humans are. I think maybe I shall leave the letter where I found the first one.

Your Sympathizer,
  Lana

Dear Lana,
Wow, I never thought someone would ever actually receive my letter. You are right Lana, I have held you many times, and every time I held you, you pleaded for death, but you were so sweet and full of life and emotions it would be wrong to pluck them from you. The first time I held you, you were a baby and even then you whispered to me not the secret of life, for I behold that, but the meaning of life. The second time I held you you were ten and you whispered me your name, LANA. Such a gorgeous name probably one of my favorites. The third time I visited you, you were ready to be taken you cried and pleaded with me, but I never did. I still remember the warmth of your body and your long black hair flowing over your white hospital gown. Your eyes are what got me the most they were big and blue and filled with love.

I cradled you many times after that and each time you pleaded for me to take your life. I soon grew mad, if I can even feel anger. You hated life, yet it was a dream of mine.

Don’t pity me.. Ha.. I find it funny that even a human can pity a thing like me. I am lonesome, but it’s my job. It’s my sole purpose in the world. I can’t change who I am. I have pitied you sometimes because I knew you wouldn’t live long and I would be the one to take you away. I would DESTROY your life. Maybe that’s what I am THE DESTROYER. I take away your life, but maybe I am a nice DESTROYER I in return give you IMMORTALITY. What more could you ask for.

THE DESTROYER,
  Death

Dear Death,
Oh, how I hate you!! I remember all those times. Why couldn’t you have listened. Why didn’t you take me! Anything could be better than this! Oh, how ironic this is I HATE DEATH not for taking away things, but because you won’t!

I lost my grandmother to you. Everyone loved her and she never pleaded with you, yet you took her. I pleaded. I cried. Why didn’t you ever take me! Are you deaf? My grandmother was a great person. I on the other hand am not. Yet, you took her, you... you... STUPID DEATH! I hate you!

Your HATER,
               Lana

Dear Lana,
You think I like you PUNY humans!!? Well, I don’t. You all are liars. You lie to help people. You lie to help yourself, and sometimes you lie to make it look like you care about people, but you sure as hell don’t, but you PEOPLE like that FAKE-CARING thing. Even the people you lie to know you are lying, but it’s a game they know how to play just as well... Then you go about preaching that lying is bad!! You are ALL hippocrates!! You either hate yourself or are in love with yourself. You are SO unpredictable. You are happy one second and then depressed the other.

Lana, oh Dearie, you think I judge people by if they’re “good” haha. No people are good! Your Grandmother had her secrets like the rest of you... NONE of you guys are “good”. You are HUMAN. You make mistakes. You LIE, CHEAT, STEAL, and are PLAIN STUPID.

You would think because you guys are all in life together, like a team.. LIFE vs. DEATH. You would help each other out and stop being so JUDGEY all the time, but HAH.. You guys hate each other as much as I hate you!!  ALL I CAN SAY IS YOU HAVE AWFUL TEAMWORK AND MAYBE THAT’S WHY I WIN EVERY TIME.. haha. You guys are just losers!!!

THE WINNER,
      Death

~3 Months Later~

Dear Death,
Hey.. Are you still there? I guess you don’t have anywhere to go.. haha I’m sorry about the last letter I wrote to you. It was pretty harsh. How’s it going?? I’m pretty lonesome. I’ve been pretty sick for awhile. I’m going to the doctor Friday... So we’ll see..

The bored apologizer,
                             Lana

Dear Lana,
I’m still here.. I don’t have any where else to go.. haha. It’s fine, I replied to you just as harsh. I don’t hate the human race.. I am just in awe of you, kind of jealous I guess.. It’s going... I’ve just been doing my job. Been busier than normal. Have fun at the doctor I guess... I’ve never been to the doctor or experienced fun so..

The busy apologizer,
     Death

Dear Death,
You’re jealous of US?? HAHA.. You can do my Lit. homework any time you want. I’m in the doctor’s office writing this to you.. We’ve been in here like 5 Billion hours, yay. If my mom saw who this was addressed to she would totally call up the family shrink saying I was depressed. I feel bad for you not knowing what fun feels like.. That must be awful!! What do you look like?

Your bored Earthly friend,
   Lana

Dear Lana,
I don’t know what “Lit. Homework” is but I’m pretty occupied with death.. Like I said... don’t feel bad for me.. It stinks not being able to be happy or not being able to have fun, but I never feel disappointed or sad. I don’t know what I look like, for each person it’s different. I guess it depends on how you see me... Just so you know Lana I can’t have friends.. It’s a mere coincidence that you ever got my letter. I should have destroyed it. You aren’t my FRIEND! I AM DEATH! I CAN’T HAVE FRIENDS.  It’s the downside of the job. How I would love to have a companion. How I would love to be able to love someone to care so deeply for someone. I have never experienced that feeling before, but I crave it. I want to love someone. I want to laugh with someone.

The Craver,
             Death

~6 Months Later~
Dear Lana,
Hello? Are you OK? I know you aren’t dead!! I miss you writing to me...

The Forgotten one,
  Death

Dear Death,
I.. have.. cancer. The doctors have given me six months. I have been on chemo and various treatments. Nothing has been working.. I’m dying. I have decided to leave the hospital in my final months. I have missed writing to you too.. I know you said you can’t have friends, but there’s not a rule that says I can’t call you my friend. You might not be able to feel anything for me, but you are my companion.

I find it funny how you signed your letter the “Forgotten One”. You are anything but forgotten. I think about how I will meet you and what it will be like. Most of all I think of how you will look. And how much I crave to feel your warm breath on my neck.

Your Dying Companion,
         Lana

Dear Lana,
Thanks for being my friend and if I could have a friend you would be my first choice. How do you think I will look?

Your Wonderer,
        Death

Dear Death,
I picture you as a guy, about 5”11. You have dark brown hair that slightly brushes your brows and hangs over your ears slightly. Your jawline is perfect and dotted with stubble. Your lips are always pursed in a smile and your eyebrows drawn in a question. You are muscular, but thin. You wear a tight-fitting black shirt and a pair of blue jeans. You’re caucasian, but not pale. I picture you early 20’s.

I’m happy we are friends. :) I’m happy for once.. even though I’m on my death bed.
Death’s Companion,
      Lana

Dear Lana,
          We haven’t talked in two months. Is everything okay??

Your concerned companion,
         Death

Dear Death,
I’m sorry. I haven’t written to you recently. I’m so tired. I miss your letters though. It’s so hard to write even this letter. All I can say is I’m looking forward to seeing you. The doctors are saying any day now.
I’m Tired,
           Lana

~Lana died later that night~

As soon as I came upon the body. I knew it was her. I saw her face and knew it was my Lana. She was dead. I picked up her body and she whispered in my ear, “My Death you have found me,” she smiled with tears in her eyes. I had never felt this way for one of my bodies before. She wiped away something at my face and said, “Why are you crying, my Death?” I looked in her eyes and said, “I love you Lana” and my salt-filled tears dripped on her face. Then everything went black.

I awoke to see Lana. The voice said, “Death, you did the impossible you fell in love with a human and now I will let you become one. Well, since you are human now you should pick a name”  I walked to Lana and held her face in my hands and saw her blue eyes filled with light and hope, and the light and hope that filled her eyes filled me. I whispered into her neck my name, Day. Meaning light and hope because I wanted to remember this moment in my life when all I had were her eyes.

I took her hand in mine and walked into this world without death. A new life for us, a new life for everybody. Everything that death had instilled in the world was gone, fear, anger, sadness. The religious called it Heaven and the rest called initium novum Initium. Meaning a new beginning in Latin. Because that’s what everybody had was a new beginning, every one could start over. It was nice. I could be life instead of death. I could bring joy instead of damnation. The world was changed for the better all because of love, and love will ALWAYS change the world. Because you humans even though with all your faults, you still cling to love in the midst of it all. I will always be inspired by your love, but now I have been given the gift of humanity and with it I will inspire others.