Over Again | Teen Ink

Over Again

By TheDoctor2000, Waddell, Arizona
TheDoctor2000, Waddell, Arizona

"900 years of time and space, and I've never met anyone who wasn't important."
-The Doctor

“She’s abominable…” said Katherine, Cassandra's mother. “I don’t even think I could even… Oh! This is such a plight!”
Katherine looked up towards her husband and saw that he looked downcast just at the sight of poor baby Cassandra, his gaze appeared taut with a worried tension, and he could barely even look at her.
“But she is only a child.” said the father to his wife, “We can only hope that someday she will be unimpeachable when she is fully grown.”
The father left the two alone to go to bed. Katherine was left with her newborn, whom looked up at her inquisitively. Even with her looks, she was as adorable as a newborn could be. But the mother wanted a prettier child not an abomination such as Cassandra. But the baby couldn’t even defend herself, so she completely relied on her mother to love her and nurture her until she could.
Later that evening Katherine had put Cassandra to bed, and had entered her room to only find herself a dying man on the bed. Her husband lay dying with a bottle in his hand with only a little bit of the potent poison left in it. The husband lay gasping for air, with a slight look of regret in his eyes. Which was only covered with an empty, and non-meaningful smile on his face. The wife ran to the bedside and grasped his hand. By now it felt luke-warm and clammy. She suppressed the tears that now threatened to roll down the wife’s cheeks.
“Why…w-why w-would you d-do th-this-s.” sobbed the poor woman.
The husband looked towards his wife and spat at her, it never reached her because he was weak. Katherine was revolted, she threw down his hand and began to scour the room for some antidote to the poison. She found none, it was already too late she had taken to long searching for a remedy that he had died anyway. Katherine fell to her knees as she sobbed her poor little heart out. Before she whispered:
“Why?” she said it in a normal voice. “Why?” Then she screamed “Why?!?!”
It has been 19 years since my father's’ death. My mother’s shouts still haunt me. Why? She thinks that I don’t remember because I was only a year old, but I do. I was getting ready for my daily walk through the forest, I usually walk to my father’s grave. But today I had other plans.
“Mother!” I shouted up the stairs. My mother’s bedroom was at the top of the stairway.
“Yes?!” Katherine answered, opening her bedroom door, to reveal the fact that she was lopping of what was left of her long, beautiful, brown hair.
“I’m going on my walk, see you in a while. Okay?” I said anxious to get going.
Her mother thought about it for a moment and then said “Alright. I want you home in time for dinner, alright?”
I nodded. “Okay mom, I promise I will be home in time for dinner.”
“Good.” said Katherine going back into her room in one nimble and smooth move.
Cassandra walked towards the door and just before she left she picked up the axe that was waiting for her at the front door for her. She trudged along the outer side of the forest and finally picked a tree to hack down. Cassandra was getting ready for the first swing when she heard a car coming down the road. Stealthily she hid behind the tree she was going to chop down. Cassandra had known the perils of coming this far into the woods alone could get her hurt…or maybe even worse. Once the car had passed she snuck out from behind the tree and began to hack at the tree. She was proud of what she was doing, she loved swinging an ax. Not that she loved the destruction it caused, she just liked the motion. The strength it took to be able to take a single swing, the emotion that came with it.  She continued to swing the ax repeatedly, until she had felt the tree teetered ominously on its stump.
“That should do it…” Cassandra whispered under her breath. “Timber!” she warned to no one.
The tree fell in the opposite way Cassandra was standing, the tree seemed to fall in slow motion onto the newly fallen snow. As it fell Cassandra could feel  all of the sadness, hatred and any other feeling leave her body and mind. The tree seemed to symbolize her emotions, a tall strong tree can be fallen by 43 swings of an ax. The fallen tree looked helpless on the snow ridden floor, but it was beautiful in a elegant kind of way. Cassandra looked at her watch and sighed.
“I guess I should head home,” mumbled Cassandra, who began to walk towards the direction of her house “ or else the people coming down the road will think I’m a vagabond or something.”
Cassandra was almost to her home when she had heard a car approaching, did she begin to skulk around behind a tree. She strained her ears to hear when the car passed, when it did she could hear a couple squabbling inside the vehicle. Cassandra relaxed as the car passed and began foundering up the hill to her home. As Cassandra approached the house she threw the ax into the snow knowing that she would get it later. Then she went inside, shook out her boots and jacket, after that she went to the kitchen. Katherine was already in the middle of making dinner for the two of them.
“Oh! Good!” said Katherine as she saw Cassandra enter the kitchen “I need a little help with chopping up those veggies please.”
Katherine poured eggs into a frying pan, and began to scramble them.
“ What are we having breakfast for dinner?” queried Cassandra, as she began to chop up some onions.
Katherine took the onions and spread them on the bottom of a glass pan and spread the eggs on top. Then spread bread crumbs and cheese.
“Oh” said Cassandra under her breath when she saw her mother doing this, “That looks great.”
“Thank you! I learned the recipe from Grandma Sterlin ” replied Katherine as the first shot rang out.