Expecting the Unexpected | Teen Ink

Expecting the Unexpected

By turnage.amaya, Amherst, New York
turnage.amaya, Amherst, New York

-Success isn't given, it's earned. On the track, on the field, in the gym. With blood, sweat, and the occasional tear.

- Your body can stand almost anything. It's you mind that you have to convince.

Author's note:

2

Jake Nelson one of the popular boys at my school throws these “ oh so badass parties” every year that everyone wants to go to, but don’t get the chance to be invited. Only people that are popular or athletic could get into them. I wasn't really trying to go to his party. Hell I wasn't even allowed to go to his party or get out of the boarding school after curfew unless I wanted to get expelled. Unfortunately, my best friend Emily Lewis has her ways of getting everything she wants. Emily moved frantically towards me loudly screaming my name.
“ Brooklyn… Brook!”
I stopped my conversation with this boy in my class Ryan Miller, I turned around quickly making my hair hit Ryan in the face.
“ What Emily.” I powerfully screamed back in her direction.
“ I have good news!” Emily mumbles, as she tries to catch her breath.
“ What is the problem?” I questioned
“ We are invited.” She screeched
“ invited?” I asked still confused on the situation
“ We are invited to Jake Nelson's party.” Emily bragged.
“ Emily you know I can't even go, there's no way.” I whined
“ Come on, you can sneak out, you done it before remember.” Emily sighed
“ I'm going to get caught you know me I'm so clumsy.” I giggled
“ Please.. Please… Please for me just go, you need to let loose.” Emily replied, while hugging me tight, squeezing the living daylights out of me.
“ Okay, okay I will go.” I said, knowing I made a bad choice, but what would go wrong.

The party starts at 11:00pm so I had a lot of time to get ready. But I was still having second thoughts about going, it's not easy getting out of this school. Emily told me to FaceTime her, she just knew that I was stressing. Answering the call quickly making me drop my phone on the floor.
“ Hey Emily. “ I say with a sigh in my voice, picking up my phone and plopping hard, heavy on my bed.
“ Stop I know you're stressing, I really want you to go to the party with me.” Emily whined.
I stuffed my head into my pillow, letting out a loud screech, “Emily okay  I will go but we are not staying long.”
“ Yes we don't have to, Omg yes you are going,” Emily shouted.
“ I will text you when I'm ready, be ready so I don't have to wait for you.” I demanded
“ okay okay I got you I will.” Emily pleaded
“ Bye.” I calmly hanged up the phone, slowly getting up out of my bed, headed towards my closet to see what I could wear.
After hours went by clothes scattered everywhere on my floor. I soon found a cute decent outfit to wear to the party. A body fitted black dress cut of by the knees and high boots, It wasn't all that of an outfit but I really wasn't trying to look nice, so hair in a ponytail it is. I texted Emily telling her I was ready and hoping that she was too, frantically waiting for her reply made me even more nervous. After insanely stressing myself out she finally texted me back 20 minutes late.
Emily - “ okay I'm ready “
Me - “ you took that long to reply”
Emily- “ sorry, so am I coming to get you or are you getting me”
Me - “ what would be better I don't want to get caught so I feel as if you should come get me”
Emily- “ okay I'm coming”
Me- “ okay see you in a little”
After the conversation ended I started to think how I was going to sneak out with no one seeing my. I thought for awhile, and figured out a plan I was just going to make a ran for it. I know it's was a stupid idea but I don't have really no other choice it worked out last time. I climbed out the window, making my feet dangle to the ground, making my body collapse towards it, hitting the ground lightly but not to hard. After getting up from the blow I heard a voice in the distance, I quickly got up and started running, I ran faster and faster, as the voices got louder and louder. Next thing you know Emily calls me and say
“ Brook stop why are you running it's me yelling.” laughing uncontrollable.
“ Emily I hate you, you scared me so much, I'm so happy it was you thought. “ I say back with a sigh of relief.
“ Well run back to the car, Jake said hurry up.” Emily laughed.
“ Wait Jake is with you?” I questioned.
“ Yeah he's driving and Ryan's in the car too so hurry up.” Emily hissed
“ Okay I'm coming.” I said
Running to the car was hard cause my dress kept riding up, but after the long run to it, I had to sit in   the front because Ryan and Emily were in the back of the car. Jake started the car up and passed me a bottle of Sorock. I mean I drunk before but it got out of hand and it seem like everyone else was on their high point. So I open the bottle and chugged it down, right when it hit my throat it tingled, with a fresh breath feeling. After taking a couple of sips of the bottle, I felt as if the car was moving in slow motion, the music sounded scratchy like the singers were singing in a different language. Getting closer and closer to Jake’s house, Emily decide that she was really hunger so Jake said that we can stop at a fast food place before we get to his house.
“ What fast food place do you want to go to Emily?” Jake says
“ I'm kinda in the mood for some tacos.” Emily mumbles back at Jakes question.
“ Well than let's just go to Mighty Taco.” I demanded
After deciding that we would go to Mighty Taco, we all notice a series of flashing red and blue lights coming up behind us at a whiplash speed. Jake pulls over, expecting an officer to leave a squat car and ask him if he's been drinking tonight. But that doesn't happen the trio of police cars rush ahead and shortly after an ambulance follows, with a sigh of relief on all our faces.
“ I will just get on the highway cause if there's an accident I don't want to wait hours to get through it.” Jake says
“ I wonder what happened, “ Emily acknowledge, as her eyebrows furrowing slightly
I shrug my shoulders “ I have no idea.”
Still driving on the highway, it felt like we were on the highway forever. Jake started to speed up a little kinda going pass the speed limit. It didn't really affect me because it made me feel as if we were going to get there faster. Jake started to go faster and faster, all of a sudden a truck came out of nowhere. The truck swerved, and rammed into the side of the car, the heavy blow against the car propelled it over, flipping it upside down. The loud sounds of crushing metal and glass cut through the heavy April air. The silence was deafening, until it was broken with screams of strangers, getting out their cars to look at the tragedy. Feeling tight and squashed in a small area, hard to breath like the air was being sucked up from my life. Opening my eyes just a little and the only thing I could see was the familiar flashing red and blue light coming towards me.