The lady violinist | Teen Ink

The lady violinist

Author's note:

I originally wrote this peice for an english assighnment on short narratives. However mine turned out to be very long and I didnt very much enjoy the plot of my story. However I ended up actually liking the topic of my story and now I hope to makie it into my first published peice.

Cascading notes and shifting melodies drift in the air. A young girl of seventeen sits on the small stage of a tavern playing the lilting notes of a violin concerto. Normally a girl would be restricted from playing an instrument of any kind as it was considered a man’s occupation. And not just an occupation for the common man but for the upper class aristocrats. However she is unable to be identified due to a cowl hiding her features and a heavy cloak hiding the curves of her body. She lets the last chords of the solo slip out from under her fingers and ring out into the space of the tavern. Her playing is met at first by silence and then by an eruption of applause from the tavern's patrons. As the crowd continues to clap the girl rises from her seat, packs away her violin and slips into the crowd. Soon she notices a group of men and women trailing behind her. Fearing a confrontation the girl attempts to maneuver around them and make her way towards the door but one of the women breaks from the group and stops her.
“Please before you leave I just have to tell you thank you. For playing. It's not too often that a musician of your talents comes down to a place like this and plays for common people like us,” The woman says. “You’re playing is something else. It's almost as if you play for the soul and the spirit and it's just…,” Here she wipes away tears gathering in her eyes and the girl digs in her pocket. She offers a tissue to the woman. “Thank you just thank you for everything,” she sobs. Now the crowd has begun to notice the mysterious cloaked musician and a crowd starts to gather around and voices start mixing together.
“Yes thank you.”
“You’re music is beautiful.”
“Astounding”
Too much attention. I need to get out of here now. She mumbles a thanks to the woman and darts through the mass of people, once again attempting to leave. As she leaves, a drunken customer sees the fleeing musician. In an attempt at unmasking the mysterious character he pulls back her hood and out flows the girl’s honey brown locks. The once rowdy and jolly crowd of revelers suddenly goes silent. Shocked into silence of the musicians gender. Damn it! time to go. The girl frantically thinks. She runs out the front door and attempts to flee down the dark streets of the city. She had just turned a corner when something catches the back of her cloak. Tensing for a fight, she twists her body around and throws back her fist preparing to sucker punch her attacker in the gut. At the last second she stops and gazes up into the face of a patrolman.
“What do you think you’re doing? And where do you think you’re going with that case?” The patrolman gives a pointed look at the case in the girl's left hand.
“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m just delivering this violin to my uncle,” The girl replies sweetly. Adding a smile in for extra insurance
“Is that so?” the man gives her a skeptical look
“Yes in fact it is,” The girl's replies confidently.
“Well then escort me to this uncle then. He must be a great and tolerable man to have such a little girl carry around an aristocrats instrument. If you didn’t steal it that is ” The patrolmen replies with a triumphant look.
The girl leads the patrolman from the dirtiest streets of downtown to the more manicured neighborhoods of the richer districts and up to the door of a large white mansion. The girl walks up the polished marbles steps and stops in front of two giant ornate doors. She raps her knuckles heavily against the wood. Once, twice. Three times. At the third knock a portly woman dressed in a handmaiden uniform swings open the heavy doors.
“Lady Kainoa” the woman intones.
“Good to see ya Mauve” Kainoa replies stepping past the woman. The patrolman looks somewhat taken aback that the girl is from a rich family. He coughs somewhat nervously on the steps.
“Now you can run along now back to the streets of downtown,” Kainoa says over her shoulder. “Where the real criminals are running about” The patrolman leaves somewhat hastily. Upon his leave Kainoa turns to Mauve who raises a bushy eyebrow at her and asks, “How much trouble do you think you’ve earned yourself by pulling off this little nighttime crusade?” 
“Most likely a month's worth of isolation within the household,” The girls replies casually, “but it was worth it.”

“Do you have any idea of the situation you have put me in?” My uncle whispers savagely. He sits across from me supporting his chin with clasped hands and his ankle resting on his knee. His manner is characteristic to that of a wild animal, silent, still and deadly, waiting to pounce upon its prey and devour it whole. I just so happen to be the prey tonight.
“I am sorry for any undesirable attention I may have caused you sir.” I reply with my head down. I’m sitting in his study on a wooden chair. Stacks of bookcases line the walls lending the room a scent of parchment. Light softly enters the room through the stained glass windows on the walls, illuminating tiny specks of dust hovering in the still air.
“Do you now?” He says quietly, “Do you really understand?” His face remains impassive yet I can practically feel the barely contained anger behind his voice. I try once again to appease him.
“Yes. I understand the reason why you are angry-”
“NO YOU DON’T” He jumps from his chair and lunges to where I’m sitting. I jump to my feet at his sudden outburst and prepare to fight.. He grabs my wrist and twists hard. I sink down to my knees but I grit my teeth and keep my voice silent. I won't let him have the satisfaction of  making me weak I think. I turn my face up to his and boldly hold his gaze. Finally he releases me and I step back rubbing my sore wrists. I glare at him with as much anger I can muster from within my soul.
“Ungrateful wretch,” my uncle spits out, “When your mother and father died I graciously took you into my household. I clothed you, Bathed you. Fed you. I even tried to culture you and make you into a proper and civil young lady.  However I can still see the island barbarism that originates from your mother's...humble family. I can hardly understand why my mother would marry such an unsophisticated woman.”
I bite my my lip to keep my rage from surging out. My uncle walks over to where I’m standing and then grasps my chin in between his thumb and forefinger.
“You will listen to me. No more music. It is not a woman's place to conduct such high class activities. You're mother may have been a famous island musician and garnered some fans here in the City but she was only a woman. Those Islanders allow for woman to play music and become warriors. It’s barbaric. She was a low class uncivilized woman unfit to marry into a family such as ours.” Here he leans in close to my ear. “A woman does not have the mind to understand such things. You are weak creatures and are always in need of constant guidance. You’re place is to behave like a lady and not draw any negative attention that will tarnish our family name. Do you understand what that means?”
I reluctantly nod my head and he lets go of my face.
“ Good,” He clasps his hand behind his back, “I expect you to prepare yourself for tonight's gala and make yourself presentable,” He says before walking out the room. I stand there clenching my fists hard enough to draw blood and then bring the bloody palms to my face. The scarlet drops evoke a passion from deep within me. No I will not bend to the will of others. I will not not consent to anyone’s expectations but my own. My mother had once told me I had a warrior's spirit. Unpredictable, Strong. And above all else passionate. As I think of these qualities a plan begins to formulate in my head. The gala tonight is going to be one of the biggest gatherings of aristocrats. A crowd like that would definitely need a performance to fit such an elegant occasion, A performance of music fit for a queen. My mother once said my ambition and passion would get me into trouble one day and today may be that day. However I am not afraid.

I drift through the crowds of lords and ladies walking alongside my uncle. Tonight I’m dressed in a flowing gossamer dress, the color of a clear sky. It compliments my caramel skin and honey colored hair perfectly. Sparkling jewels are weaved into my hair making my head sparkle brilliantly whenever they catch the light. The gala is held in a beautiful hall with a stage located on a round balcony outside. My uncle walks alongside me occasionally engaging in conversation with the other guests. I patiently wait for a chance to escape and enact my plan. Finally I seize an opening and while my uncle's attention is preoccupied I sneak away backstage. I keep to the shadows and avoid the gazes of the other performers. Once I’ve found a relatively isolated place, I throw off the dress and quickly change into the thin cloak I sewed within it’s folds. I throw on the cowl to hide my face and begin making my way over to a group of violinists. Their backs are turned to their instruments so they don't notice when I walk off with one of their violins.. Hmmm not as quality as mine but will fit the occasion. Now I wait. I think as I pluck the strings.
One of the announcers walk on stage after the last acts performance and proclaims, “And now we have a performance from Sir. Isaac Green.” I notice one of the men from the group nervously look around for his missing violin.  That’s my cue.
I step out onto the large stage. The polished wood clicking under my shoes. For the first time I notice the large crowd all staring up at me and I almost my nerve.  Slowly, I begin to weave a thin and delicate melody that flows throughout the outdoor courtyard. The melody ebbs and flows like the waves of the ocean of my island homeland. My surroundings start to fade away leaving only a feeling of peace and serenity. At the end I hold the final note, as if relinquishing a dear friend, and then let it fall echoing into oblivion. My surroundings begin to come back into existence with the sound of applause. The applause doesn't stop and instead grows until the demand for an encore goes up. I oblige and play three more pieces. A lilting folk tune from the islands. A haunting song from the distant mountains and finally a bold warrior ballad. During each peice I can feel the audience becoming more and more entranced. At the conclusion of the final piece I motion for silence from the cheering audience.
“I want to first thank everyone profusely for attending the gala tonight” I state “This event is meant to honor the City's accomplishment of the past year and create hope and goodwill for the future prosperity of the City. I hope my performance was fitting for such a grand occasion.” I take this opportunity to remove my cowl and reveal my face to the crowd. Gasps of shock fill the air and angry murmurs start to break out.
“I am a woman and tonight I have proved that just because I am considered the weaker gender does not mean I nor any other woman am not without any talent.” Out of the corner of my eyes I see my uncle talking to two security guards and pointing at me. Time to go. I step onto the balconies edge and jump into open air.

Kainoa stands on the bow of the ship looking out into the endless expanse of the ocean. She’s an exile. A leader. A criminal. An inspiration. After her daring stunt at the City’s annual gala, she was forced to flee or risk being captured and thrown into prison. She had fled first to her uncle's house to pick up her violin. She had stood on the marble steps contemplating breaking in through a window when, surprisingly, the doors had swung open. There stood the handmaiden, Mauve with Kainoa’s violin case in hand.
“My lady. I knew you would not leave the City without this.” She had held out the violin case towards Kainoa.
“How did you know I was leaving?” Kainoa had asked incredulously while receiving the instrument.
“Oh I had a feeling deep within myself. I knew about your little music excursions and just knew you would do something daring like this. This place is too small to hold someone with such ambitions as yours. So I bought this just in case,” Mauve reached into her pocket and had pulled out a blue rectangular piece of paper. “This should get you to where you need to go. Don’t worry about anything just go. I will tie all the loose ends” She reached out her hand clasped Kainoa’s hand. “It was a pleasure watching over you. Now go”
After that Kainoa had fled to the docks and found a ship that would take her to the Islands. When she offered the ticket to the captain he gladly accepted it. It was a cash voucher after all, worth over $2000.
Now Kainoa was on her way back to her mother’s homeland. Back to her people. She reached down for her violin and began playing a graceful composition. The tune flies across the ocean and over the waves, Passionate and free.