Little Ophelia | Teen Ink

Little Ophelia

By VM709 DIAMOND, ormond beach, Florida
VM709 DIAMOND, Ormond Beach, Florida

" I will never be what you want from me "

October 31st 2000 . A beautiful baby girl is born in a nice clean hospital room. Though just born at 8 pounds and 5 ounces she has short blonde hair and deep green eyes that look like fresh dewed grass with a since of belonging. Her mother and father gaze at her admiribly as they wrap her in a blue blanket and hand her over to her mother. Her mother is beautiful. She has long , striaght blonde hair and crystal blue eyes. Shes thin despite having been pregnant for 9 months and holds a part time job as a supermodel and the other part time working at the local super market. Her father is a chemist who works from home doing dangerous and sometimes stupid experiments due to his sense of adventure which has always gotten him into trouble. When her father was 16 years old hed decided to mix a compound of sulfric acid and vingear and liquid nitrogen in attempts to create a cure for cancer. The compound had exploded and gotten into his right eye leaving him leagally blind and making it where he would never be able to drive his entire life. Ophelia , the baby's name, had one older brother whose name was Hannibal. He was everything. He was 16 years old , as Ophelia had been a middle aged late in life baby , and wason to do great things. However Hannibal had past away a week before in a hazing incident making Ophelias birth both a celebration and a tragedy. Hannibal had been a mothers boy so when shed asked him to try out for ice skating he couldnt not refuse. He made the team discovering a natural born talent and nothing had made him happier. He danced around on the ice like he belonged there. However not everyone was to thrilled with his choices. His former football teammates were quite upset that hed chosen his mothers path instead of the one they hoped for him , and having lost their best quarter back they had nothing to lose. That night they tricked Hannibal into believeing they were having an early Halloween party and to come with them. Once he was there they gave him mountain dew spiked with vodka and managed to get him drunk to the point where he was hallucinating. Ever drugging him they dumped him in the creek with weights tied to his feet and left him there for dead. Hannibal had been discovered by the cops after one of the members , who had not been at the part, reported the incident but it had been to late. Hannibal had been declared dead on scene. However one life for another Ophelia had come into this world and her mother was determined to make the best of it but she couldnt. When she looked into Ophelias eyes all she saw was Hannibal and the handsome son she'd once had. 

hree months had gone by. Ophelia's hair was now a crimsion black and her eyes a deeper green . She was begging to crawl across the house and everything was well except for her mother. Every day Ophelia began to look more like her older brother Hannibal and every day her mother fell into a deeper black abyss. At this time shed gained about 50 pounds – something she had never done before. Her entire life she had been slim and fit but she simply gave up. Shed been fired from her job as a supermodel after the first 30 pounds and things had gotten worse from there. The house was filled with cookies and icecream and little debbies and everything else that could possibly make a person gain weight. She walked around in her same clothes with her belly hanging out and the buttons popping and landing in peoples eyes constantly. All the pictures of Hannibal had been covered by table cloths and everything was going badly. Ophelias father had tried to counsle her but she would no longer listen. She slept on the couch all day and watched tv all night and occasionally went to her part time job at the supermarket when she was not to busy being sick from binging. She would make herself throw up after eating tons of food and when Ophelias father wasnt home she would yell at poor Ophelia for how much she looked like Hannibal.
“ How dare you ever be born! Your ruining my life ! You made you brother die! You stole his soul” , she would say. She had convinced herself that Ophelias birth had caused Hannibals death and nothing would change her mind.
Ophelia was eight months old. Her mother was now 200 plus pounds and gaining weight rapidly. Her father himself had put on a beer belly after starting drinking two months ago. Hed never drank before in his life. Ophelias first words had been no. So young she already knew that what her father and mother were doing was wrong. She was now walking , occasionally falling , but mostly walking. Her clothes were the ones she had at birth and had gotten to small. Her father and mother had been neglecting her more than ever. Her mother had reached he rfinal stand point and one day when Ophelias father went out of town she went into there medicine cabneinet and pulled out 3 bottles of antidepressents and a bottle of codine medication along with some cough syruo. She put the medication on the kitchen table and picked Ophelia up in her arms she smiled gently and she said
“ Oh dear child. You see the pills on this table ? I'm going to take them and im going to die. Your never going to see me again. I'm never going to have to see your evil grinning face ever again . “ 
She dropped Ophelia to the ground and Ophelias skull shattered and as Ophelia cried she overdosed on the medication.
Ophelias father had come home to find his wife laying on the ground dead and his daughter bleeding rapidly crying her lungs out. His wife was already dead there was nothing he could do to save her but he could save his baby girl. He scooped her up and put her in the car and rushed her to the hospital and ran through the room screaming “ a doctor please I need a doctor! “ The doctors told him Ophelia had cracked her skull in three places and that she would need immediate , life risking surgery. The chances of her survival at such a young age were slim to none but he had nbo choice. She had the surgery and she survived . To come home to her dead mothers body. 

Ophelia was one year old. She had been taken from her father and was now under the care of a nice foster family. Her foster mothers name was Desmond. She was beautiful and thin just as Ophelias mother had been . Ophelias father was in rehab just as Desmond's father had been so long ago. That is why Desmond had taken her in. Desmond had always wanted to be a mother and this was her chance but she knew if she wanted to keep Ophelia she would have to court Ophelias father – and that was something she was willing to do. Ophelias father was a handsome man besides his beer belly. He was 6 foot 4 with long blond locks and a gorgeous face with deep blue eyes. He was everything a woman could want ; intellegent and all in all hot . He would be no easy man to get under her arms though after the recent loss of his wife but it was a battle she was willing to fight. She took care of ophelia like her own daughter. Every day they went to the local park and would swing together. She even bought Ophelia a dog which they named Carcus.  Ophelia had a perfect life with Desmond but she missed her father terribly. Later that year when Ophelia was a year and three months old her father returned a new , skinner , man from rehab. He was healthy , his face was less flushed and the coloer had returned to his eyes. He had falling instantly in love with Desmond and by April of the next year they had been married . And thats when Ophelias father had broken the news. He'd told Desmond he was capable of having children but the truth is hed had surger after his first wife had gotten pregnant with Ophelia. He was after all 56 years old. Desmond was dissapoineted and shocked and from that day on no longer loved him or little Ophelia. She than began to treat Ophelia like a slave in her own home. From the age of three on making her go to daycare 12 hours a day and sleep the other tweleve. Hardly feeding Ophelia so that when she did get food she would gorge herself causing her to be slightly overweight. Ophelia was terrifed of her step mother. She would abuse her father, one night they had gotten into an especially bad ateraction .
“ What is this? “ Desmond had said
“ Its a red cup dear” Harold ( Ophelias father) had said.
“ What was in this red cup ? “ Desmond replied
“ Water, I only drink water now you put me on a diet. “ Harold replied
“ Youve been drinking again”
“ No I havent “ he said
“ Yes ! Yes you have I put you through rehab I took care of your daughter while your fat and lazy butt was off in rehab so that she would have a mother again since you killed your wife and now your drinking again!”  she said
“ I did not kill my wife!” he said
“ Yes you did if youd simply not let your son try out for such a gay sport you wouldnt be in this mess!” she said “ You not only killed your wife but you killed your son and ill be killed if I let you kill OUR daughter to. You are not going to start drinking again!” shed said knocking him into Ophelia and Ophelia falling banging her head on the table. Ophelia had begun crying and her father screamed.
“ her head her head”
“ what about her head” shed said
“ When she was 8 months old her mother dropped her and broke her skull the doctor said if she ever hit her head again the screws would come out , we need to get her to a hospital!”  he said picking her up.
Desmond grabbed her from his arms and screamed “ your not taking this poor child anywhere your the one who did this to her . I'm taking her. “
Ophelia was five years old. She was starting elementary school that day. Her father walked her to the bus stop . Desmond was off working or in some sort of buissness meeting as far as Harold knew. Ophelia walked onto the bus to find only one seat avaliable. That started a world of problems.
“ Hi my names Ophelia” shed said.
“ The names Jessica” shed replied.
“ Nice to meet you. I love your outfit. “ Ophelia had said
“ Yeah it cost 500 dollars . Thats porbably as much as your house . “ Jessica had said.
“ I dont own a house” Ophelia had replied “ We rent . “
“ Of course you do . You OBVIOUSLY can afford food. “ Jessica said .
“ Actually I'm not really allowed to eat at home my mother isnt really into meals. “ Ophelia had replied.
“ Good you need to lose a few extra pounds. “ Jessica had replied.
They parked in the school parking lot. The school was dirty , filled with trash and Jessica sighed.
“ I knew I should have gone to private school .”
They greet their teacher at the front gate. She is maybe 23 years old with bright orange hair and deep green eyes. She immeditly sees Ophelia and introduces herself.
“ You look like a nice girl , whats your name, I'm Mrs. Armond”  she had said .
“ Ophelia Grace Ostrich” . Shed replied
“ Ha ostrich. She sure looks like one as hairy as those legs are” Jessica had laughed and turned towards another girl she had just met. Ophelia hung her head down and walked towards the classroom picking the nearest cubby to the bathroom. Ophelia had never been very good at controlling her bladder and knew shed need the closest cubby and the closest desk but Jessica intervendened.
“ Thats my cubby” she said.  “ and thats my desk”
“ I need those Jessie!” Ophelia had cried with tears glimmering in her eyes.
“ to bad “ jessica had said pushing Ophelias stuff to the ground and placing her own there and sitting down on her throne. With all the other chairs taken ophelia was forced to the very back row . Halfway into class with the introduction of the alphabet Ophelia had raised her hand.
“ One minute Ophelia. “ Mrs . Armond had said.
Ophelia sat there bouncing like a kangroo and you could hear Jessica from across the room .
“ look at the baby about to pee herself. “
Ophelia knew she couldnt pee herself so she had two options sit here and hold it or run for her life and get in trouble on her first day., She knew she couldnt hold in any longer, why had she ever had to grow out of diapers. She stood up from her seat , apolgized, and made a v line to the bathroom but it had been to late. Pee trailed her all the way there and by the time she reachehed the bathroom all she heard was the laughs of her class mates.
“ Oh I guess the dog didnt get potty trained yet” Jessica had laughed.
By recess that day Ophelia was miserable. Shed had to change and the only clothing theyd had in the office was a boys pair of shorts. The croutch fit her weirdly and so she kept adjusting them .
“Stop playing with your shorts Ophelia. “ Jessica had cold pushing her from behind.
“ they dont fit right “ ophelia had said
“ Well than maybe you shouldnt have peed on them !”  jessica had said
“ I … “ .
“ I guess you got your fathers bladder” Jessica had said “ or was it your mother.
Ophelia had only a vague memory of her real mother. All she had known was that her mother had died when she was very young in a car accident and that she had a brother whod died with her.
“ I dont know my mother . “ Ophelia had said
“ Ah so your a daddys girl so am I” jessica said, and for a second it felt as if the two girls had bonded but than jessica made a dare
“ I bet you cant cross the monkey bars “ . Ophelia knew she couldnt she had never had much upper body strength . But she wasnt one to back down from a challenge. She went to grab onto the monkey bars and instantly plopped down , hitting her head. She instantly passed out and the teacher ran to her. Next thing Ophelia knew she woke up in the hospital. Desmond was there waiting for her and ready with words.
“ You idiot! Do you know how much it costs to pay for hospital bills! We dont have the money for your foolishness ! We can barley afford the rent !”
“ I'm sowwie “ ophelia had said giving Desmond the pity lip.
Desmond had slapped her across the face leaving a pink hand print on her face.
“ Dang it child here let me cover that” she said pulling out her cover up and putting it over the print.
Ophelia was starting first grade that morning . She'd been praying for weeks that Jessica wouldnt be in her class but her worst fears had been realized that morning. Shed had Desmond drive her to school complaning about the weight of her books but when she walked in Mr. Thomas's classroom she found Jessica waiting there for her on the sticker covered desk.
“ Hey Ophie!” shed said .
“ Hey Jessie ! “ shed said wondering if things were going to go better this time. Before anything else could happen Mr. Thomas had interupted.
“ Children take your seats. Today what were going to do is get to know each other and how id like to do this is through art projects if you all dont mind. So heres some paper and we have colered pencils and markers. “
Jessica raised her hand .
“ Yes Jessica? “ Mr Thomas had said.
“ Ophelia cant use markers. Shell eat them .” Jessica had said
“ Ophelia will you eat the markers. “ Mr Thomas had said jestering towards the shy Ophelia.
“ No sir” she said her voice shaking.
“ Alright than lets begin. “
The students spent the next hour working on their masterpieces. Ophelia had always been an incredible artist for her age and her favorite thing to draw were families, big happy families. She hoped she would have one some day . One away from Desmond and with her and her daddy and a nice lady. When it was Ophelias turn to present she stod up and quietly walked to the front of the classroom.
“ this is a picture of a family. Its one that I want one day. “
Jessica raised her hand and Mr. Thomas called on her.
“ Yes Jessica” he said
“ Mr Thomas you told us to draw a picture technically this isnt a picture its an impossible daydream. Noone will ever have a family with chubby.”
“ Thank you Jessica. “
Ophelia had gone home that day in tears. She walked in the door to her mother and father in an intense argument.
“ I know youve been drinking” Desmond had screamed.
“ I have not been drinking . You always accuse me of drinking but I never actually drink! “ Harold screamed
“ I found an empty beer bottle!”
“ that was my friends Dessy” Harold scremaed.
Barrling a glass bowl towards his head with only an inch difference as it shattered on the wall she screamed .
“ Dont call me Dessy anymore. Go to the dog house. “
She wasnt kidding. There was a dog house in the back of the house. Ophelia walked in crying and Desmond turned to her
“ You go to the dog house to. “ she said
“ No mommy. Not tonight. “ Ophelia had said. This was Ophelias first act of rebellion towards her step mother. 

Ophelia was going into the third grade. The bus smelt of kids to young to wear deoderent and preteend syusing excess perfume and cologne to try to impress their not quite puberty ready peers. Ophelia was walking on to the prison cell after her usual breakfast of pancakes and eggs topped with bacon. Her father had stayed around just long enough to hear
“ Hey Chubby whats the haps ?”
He had run onto the bus and said to the driver
“ Arent you going to do anything about this”
The driver twilred a 100 dollar bill around in his hand and shrugged. Harold had marched straight up to Jessica and said
“ Dont you know thats my daughter your talking to? “
“ Yes I do sir I also know she smells like rotton eggs . “
Suddenly rage too khim over . He had Jessica on the ground with Ophelia screaming no daddy no and the bus driver on the phone with the sherrif. The next day Jessica was in the hospital with three cracked ribs and a broken leg and Ophelias father was awaiting trial in prison.
It was 5th grade graduation. Desmond drove Ophelia to school in her purple and shredded dress. It had been Desmonds dress for her fitdth grade graduation. It had been torn apart by the family dog. They hadn't had the money to buy a new dress. When Ophelia wals in the first person she sees in Jessica in a long gold gown which was sewn with actual gold pieces. She sighed and she walked up to her .
“ I love your dress Jessica. “ Ophelia said
“ Thanks .. Your dress is... well I won't lie its a train wreck. “ Jessica said.
“ Thank you Jessica you always know how to make me feel better. “
Ophelia hung her head and walked back to Desmond.
“ Is that the girl your father beat up ? “ Desmond said
“ Yes Mother. “
“ Shes beautiful . I wish you could be like that. “ Desmond said.
“ Thank you Mother. “
“ Really sweety if we just put you on a diet everything would be fine. Youd be one of her friends. “ Desmond said.
“ You already starve me I dont want to go on a diet. “
“ Oh its starting its starting get up there! “
Ophelia was the valdictorian of the 5th grade class. She shaking walked up to give her speech.
“ It has been a great year with my former classmates.. I mean current classmates. It has been a great year full of fun and laughs and adventure and a bunch of.. I mean a lot . I mean tons of” Suddenly Ophelias throat filled up and she was kpuking across the stage and the front row. They stood up in shock and Jessica saw her chance standing up and pushing Ophelia down .
“ That was just a joke ladies and gentlemen. I'm going to be the one delivering the speech while Ms. Puke pants over here continues her episode. What she was meaning to say was that this has been a great experience for all of us and we are OVERJOYED to have participated in this school and to be apart of this class and are hoping to go on to do great things in middle school. “
“ Thank you Jessica” the orincibal said. “ Now please go to the cafetorium for refreshments. “
Ophelia didnt move. She stayed on the stage drowning in her own vomit and shame. She didn't want to live anymore. She just wanted everything to end. She didnt want to face Demond's shame , she didn't want to face middle school , she didn't want to do anything . She just wanted eveerything to end. Ophelia had fallen into the black abyss.
6th grade came and Ophelias look had changed completely. She had begunto straighten her hair and wear blue contacts so that her eyes looked like her fathers. She carried a picture of him in her back pocket. She had gotten hear ears and nose piereced and she tried to look rock solid. Things would change this year she thought as she arrived at school that morning. But than she ran straight into a girl and dropped all her books. “ I'm so sorry she said”  “ Its fine.. oh hey Ophie youve decided to go goth . “ Jessica said. Ophelia cringed and said “ Yes now you cant mess with me anymore Jessica. In fact I have something to ask you. “ “ What is it” Ophelia had sighed and thought  for a second. This is when you were supposed to be finding your identy and asking people out , dating. Desmond had told her to follow her heart. “ Will you go out with me “ Ophelia had said in a sigh . Jessica let out a laugh and said “ Did you just ask me out. “ “ I would never date you in a million years. One I'm not a lesbian and two I dont go for fat chubby poor girls who wear hand me downs that were bought at the local dollar general. “ Jessica said. She grabbed her by her collar and held her against the locker. “ Listen fatty your in the big leaugues now and there is nothing stopping me from ruining your life , you got it. ? “ “ I got it” “ Now if you ever tell anyone you asked me out I will end you . “ 
Ophelia made that mistake. She told her bestfriend at the time Jarod that she had asked Jessica out. He had rumored it around the whole school . Suddenly Ophelia was the laughing stock of the entire school , but Jessica was mocked by all the boys. That year was the worst year of Ophelias life. Jessica beat her to a pulp making sure to not leave any area unbruised.
Summer of 6th grade. Ophelia's friend Jared had invited her to his 11th birthday party. She went over excited only to find the place covered in people from school . Sighing she said
“ Jared wh yare they here ! Why is Jessica here!”
“ Theyre the ones that provided the dope sweety and the sugar after. If you get what I mean. “ Jared said.
“ Jared I'm not getting this are you saying that you and Jessica are an item! “ Ophelia said.
“ Precisily” he said walking over to her and grabbing her arm .
“ And did you say dope Jared” Ophelia said.
“ Yeah I did “ he said pulling out a blunt and a can of beer.
“ Jared we promised never to do that stuff! “ Ophelia said.
“ Were almost in 7th grade Ophelia grow up ! “ Jared said
“ Forget her Jarry shes never going to amount to anything anyway” . Jessica laughed. Ophelia had walked the 10 miles home that day . She never wanted to speak to Jarad again. She walked into her house to find it deserted. She didnt know what to do so she grabbed a knife and went onto the internet. She was afraid and alone and so she typed in talk to people on the internet. What she found was a chat room . It was all people her age , going through similar things she was. She learned from them that the best way to cope was cutting. She hadnt known what cutting was till they explained it to her. You take the knife and stab it so hard into your arm until you see blood and than you pull it across your arm. Ophelia enjoyed watching the blood as it rose from her arm. Sure she couldnt go swimming anymore but it was worth the pain. She found her only friends on this chat room. She even found a boyfriend. His name was R7X5 . He was 28 years old but it didnt matter because as far as he knew she was 27 . Until one day it did matter. He asked to meet up with her. She knew she couldnt do that. So she had to do the only thing she could think of – tell the truth. If only he hadnt turned out to be Jessica's brother. She got a message on her IM the next day.
“so you lied to my brother”
“ no I didnt lie I just exaggerated”
“ You let my brother fall in love with someone who dosent exist!”
“ She does exist shes just not that age!”
“ No she dosent you idiot! All youre ever going to be is a fat ugly nobody. You are nothing , you were nothing, you will never be anything . Noone hurts my brother do you not get this. “
“ Your brother is 28 I think he can handle his own battles! “
“ You dont get it Ms Smart Pants my brother has assburgers no girls ever shown any intrest in him till you and you broke his heart. He tried to hang himself. “
“ that isnt my fault. “
“ My brother was going to propose to you ! And you revealed you wernt even real! You tried to muirder my brother! I should had your butt behind bars right with your father. Your lucky your a child, Ophie . See you Monday. “
Monday came and went Jessica had missed school and for a day Ophelia was safe. Tuesday came and went and Jessica was still missing. A week went by and Jessica hadnt shown up . Ophelias heart was pounding, what was she planning. The next Monday came and Jessica walked through the hall and slammed Ophelias locker.
“ You and me back of the school 4 pm. If you dont show up I tell the whole school you got knocked up . “ Ophelia fell to the ground in fear and spent the rest of the day shaking as Jessica sent her glarring looks. At 4 aclock Ophelia walked to the back of the school and waited for her punishmed. Jessicas thin body had her against the wall in seconds.
“ You killed my brother. “
“ No”
“ Save it “ Jessica said putting a staple in Ophelias lips. Ophelia screamed as the pain surged through her and than quited as Jessica kicked her in the groin.
“ You killed my brother and I will kill you. Maybe not today , maybe not tommrow – but I'm going to kill you. “ and that was it . Jessica walked away leaving Ophelia there to pull the staple from her mouth and walk home with the blood trailing from her mouth. 

It was Ophelias 13th birthday. She was wearing her brand new dress and walking into the school bathroom to freshen up her makeup when she heard two girls speak she hid in a stall.
“ Did you hear what Jessicas planning”
Ophelia cringed but relaxed she knew it couldnt be about her.
“ Yeah Ophelias going to be dead. “
Ophelia knew this was about her now she cringed and suddenly fell from the toilet. Hearing the bang the girls looked and found Ophelia on the ground. Leaning down to her level the girl smiled and said you heard nothing.
Ophelia went through the day terrifed. In the locker room she put on her clothes and thought maybe the girls had been wrong . It was the last class of the day and nothing had happened. She was walking out to the pe field when suddenly a cold hand was on her. They were pulling her to the ground chocking her . She could see her life flash before her eyes and she was blacking out when the hands suddenly let go. Another girl had grabbed Jessica and screamed at Ophelia
“ Run!” Ophelia had run faster than she ever had before. She ran back to the locker room and had locked herself in the stalls praying to God that one day things would change – that she would be in control.
Jessica met her after class and smiled.
“ I know somethoing that will kill you inside atleast. “ “ Your mother had an affair thats why your father was so mad that morning he beat me.  “
Ophelia couldnt believe it , but at the same time she could. The world was out to get her today.
phelia had just had the worst day of her life. She was lost and alone and confused but most of all she was mad. She madder than she had ever been . Nothing wouldve made the day worse except when she walked in the door and her mother ran up to her and pulled up her sleeve. Her mother slapped her across the face hard and screamed.
“ Ophelia Grace! What were you thinking ! We have to take you to the hospital right this instance! This is absolutely disgusting! I'm .. I cant even take you to the hospital theyll accuse me of abusing you . What am I supposed to do ? Why didnt you think about how I would feel Ophelia!” Desmond said.
“ What was I thinking. WHAT WAS I THINKING ! MOTHER WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! “ Ophelia said
“ Sweety what are you talking about. It isnt my fault you cut yourself open like a piece of meat. “ Desmond said.
“ Mother. Just awnser me . Why did you treat daddy so badly? “ Ophelia said
“ I didn't do  a thing to your father Ophelia.” Desmond said
“ Yes you did. You cheated on him... you made him so mad he exploded. You sent him to prison. “ Ophelia replied.
“ Listen girl .” she said slapping her across the room. “ I didnt do a thing to your father . Your father promised me a son and I was going to get one. He never told me he couldnt have kids. He never told me he was 46 years old. He lied to me. He was a lier and a deciever and so are you. “ Desmond said.
Suddenly Ophelia couldnt take it anymore. She stood up on the dining room table and smashed the dishes set for dinner with her feet. Desmond grabbed her but she bit her arm till it was gushing blood. Desmond pulled back shocked and stood against the wall. Ophelia walked to the kitchen counter and pulled out a kitchen knife. She held it against Desmond's throat and started speaking
“ Listen to me . Your going to listen to me for once in my life. You ruined my fathers life and I will ruin yours. From now on I'm in charge. “
Everything at home had changed. Ophelia was suddenly large and in charge but there was still something she had to fix. Jarod. She knew Jessica would always be better than her but she was going to do her best to change it.
She was going to win Jarod's heart this time around. She woke up that morning after her birthday and everything was different. She woke up at 3 in the morning to go run 10 miles and came back and curled her frizzy hair and put makeup on her acne covered face. She had spent all her money buying new clothing  - in Jarods favorite color. She walked into school that day and everyones eyes dropped. Ophelia walked straight up to Jared and Jessica and said
“ Hi Jared”
“ Hi.. hi Ophelia. “ Jared said looking at her almost droowling and with wide eyes.
“ Jared” Jessica said punching him in the arm . “ Stop looking at her. It dosent matter what she looks like shes still fat. “
Knocked out of his state of shock he sighed and replied
“ True . Good bye Ophelia. “
Jared walked away and Ophelia ran to the bathroom stall. She didn't know what to do but than she heard two girls talking.
“ So I heard about this amazing new diet. “
“ Really what is it ? “
“ You don't eat and than you throw up whenever you do eat. “
“ Isnt that dangerous.? “
“ No all the models are doing it!”
The girls walked out of the bathroom leaving Ophelia there alone she sighed . She didn't know exactly how to make herself throw up but she'd heard people do it before. From what her dad said her mother had been bullimic in her younger years. But this wasnt bullimia Ophelia thought this was a diet. She leaned down with her knees on the cold tile and stuck her fingers down her throat. She started gagging and pulled them back out. She couldnt do this she thought. Was Jared worth this ? What would Desmond think .. but than again Desmond had always wanted her to lose weight . Maybe this was the awnser they'd been searching for. 

6 months have gone by and its the begging of 8th grade. Ophelia has lost 60 pounds and is once again ready to try and win Jareds heart. She walks up to him in Jessicas arms and smiles.
“ Hi Jared.”
Once again he goes wide eyed and he pulls from Jessica and kisses Ophelia on the cheek .
“ I'm sorry Jessie but I always knew Ophelia was the one I wanted. I was just waiting for her to look the way I wanted. “
Jessica smiled and said
“ I was always to good for you anyway Jared. “
Later that day Jessica met Ophelia in the locker room.
“ I always knew there was a reason I hated you “ Jessica said.
“ What are you talking about … Messy “ Ophelia replied
“ Where did you learn that nickname!” Jessica said
“ Jared told me “ Ophelia replied
Picking her up off the ground Jessica held Ophelia against the locker.
“ Look Chubby you may have gotten my boyfriend but you are still nothing and you will never be anything. No matter how much weight you lose you will always be fat. No matter how much makeup you put on you will never be beautiful .. and no matter what you will always be dead broke. I could win Jared's love back if I wanted it bad enough but I'd rather not use a false image to buy love.. unlike you. “
Jessica let her go and Ophelia sat there silent. She stood and wiped the dripping mascara off her face and met with Jared.
“ Go back to Jessica. “ Ophelia said
“ But Ophie “ Jared said
“ Dont you Ophie me . You only love me because you think  this is who I am but the truth is .. I'm not doing to well. Now I need you to go.” Ophelia said
“ Well if thats how you feel.. Hey Jessica wait up!”
------------------------------It had been three months since Ophelia had broken up with Jared and her world had come crashing down. She'd gone from boyfriend to boyfriend in hopes to feel anything but the pain and the emptiness that she felt inside. That day as she was leaving for school her mother pulled her aside.
" Ophelia we need to talk. " Desmond said.
" No no we don't we dont need to talk about anything I have nothing to talk to you about. " Ophelia replied.
Suddenly Desmond pulled out an empty box of laxatives and Ophelia was all ears. " Tell me what these were for Ohelia " Desmond said
" Nothing mom nothing I didn't, "
" Save it you obviously are trying t o lose weight. im not stupid yo haven't been eating , ive heard you throwing up and I know you aren't sick when you so and your dangerously thin this needs to stop " Desmond said
" No no it dosent all you've done my whole life is complain how fat I am and your not going to stop me before I get to look like you . "and with that Ophelia walked out the door.

Ophelia arrived at school to see Jared and Jessica making out in the parking lot. She notied everyone giggling and wondered if it was just because of the way they leaned into each other like they were giant elephants. She opened the glass doors of her middle school and as she walked to her locker the giggling got louder and than she noticed something on herlocker. She went up to ee what it was and it was huge papers with pictures of her saying slut and whore. She didn't know what had happened until Jessica walked up to her locker. 
" Hi Ophie !"
" Hi Jessica. "
" So hows our little slut doing today? "
" I'm not a slut!"
" Really um how about you tell thst to this "
she said pulling out her phone and showing her a picture Brandon had sent her. Ophelia slammed her locker shut and walked out. She walked out of the shool building and before she knew it she woke up in the hospital.
Ophelia woke up to voices in the local hospital. she felt tubes all over her. There were tubes in her throat, tubes in her mouth, tubes in her arms - everywhere you could feel tubes there were tubes. There was a tube going into her arm giving her blood. She didn't know where she was or why she was there or even how long she had been there but she knew she wanted to get out and she wanted to get out now. She sat up and started pulling the tubes out one by one and nurses came running holding her down to the bed while they reiserted the tubes. Ophelia managed to let out a quiet cr of  just want to go home but the nurses wernt listening. Ophelias father walked in - he hadn't seen her since she was in 3rd grade, He walked in and held her in his arms and she turned to him and  said " Father? How did you get here. "  " They were already going to let me out early from my 7 year sentence and when I heard what was happening with you they let me out right away . " " dad don't seem so freake dout I'm not dying . "  " but sweety that's just the thing you are. Yor severly malnourished. " " I'm not malnourished! " " Yes you are sweety your severly malnourished and tou got hi by a car and broke your left vertabre . " " Dad your crazy " " No sweety I'm not " Ophelia had been in the hospital for three days, theyd been pumping nutrtition into her 24/7 and already shed gone from 67 pounds to almost 78 . She was disgusted with herself but she knew there was nothing she could do about it till she got home. She was in therapy to be able to walk gain and slowly but surley she was becoming more stable/ She wanted to go home but she also knew going home meant going back to school but at this rate shed be going to summer school not normal school so maybe things wouldn't be as bad. All she knew though was she wanted to go back home where she could control her eating. Her father hadn't been around as much as he should. According to Desmond hed been out drinking with friends - though Ophelia couldn't believe after just being released from prision he'd go back to old habits.
However one day about a month into her hospital visit her father walked in. He was walking crooked and his mouth was wide open. He walked in and he had a smile on his face . 
" Hi daughter " he said grabbing at Ophelia 
" Hi dad" shed said moving away. He'd sat down on the bed next to Ophelia and placed his hand on her side .
 " How.. How .. How are you ? " He had said stuttering. 
" I'm okay dad . How are you ? " 
" Me? I'm .. I'm .. I'm drunk !" He said reacheding his hand a little over to the left. 
" Dad .. what are you doing. " 
" Nothing honey bun nothing " he said moving his hand up . 
" Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not Desmond " Ophelia said. 
" Don't be ridiculous " he said squeezing her brest . 
" Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 
suddenly a nurse rushed in and saw what was happening. 
" We need a cop pronto . " She said
" No! No we dont ! " Ophelia screamed getting up and weatching her dad pass out on the bed. She walked over to her dad to feel his pulse and she couldnt feel it . 
" We need a nurse! We need a doctor ! He dosent have a pulse!!!!" 
" Get out of my eay " Said a lady waling in .
" Who are you ? " Ophelia said 
" Dr Delisia now let me see him. Yup .. yup .. he has no pulse.. hmm yeah he's dead. " 
" what ! Do something do cpr the shocky stuff something! " Ophelia said 
" Sweety hes dead. " 
Ophelia sat back down on the bed and closed her eyes. she hugged his lifeless body in her arms and cried herself to sleep. 

Ophelia  got out of the hospital a month later. She was meet at her house with Jared and Jessica welcoming her home with a cake that said welcome home and a banner in her favorite colors – pink and black. This was the last thing Ophelia wanted though was to see Jessica in her home. Desmond walked up and said
“ She said she was worried about you and wanted to welcome you home please be polite. “
There was no way Ophelia was being polite to the people who sat in front of her they had ruined her life and if Jessica wanted pay back for her brothers death she had certanily got it.
“ You killed my father Jessica “ Ophelia said holding back tears
“ no I didnt you being a slut killed your father . “ Jessica said.
Suddenly Jared was holding back Ophelia as Desmond pulled Jessica aside. Jared pulled her outside.
“ What are you doing !” he said
“ I'm getting her back for killing my father. “ She replied
“ She didnt kill your father Ophelia... you did. “ Jared said
“ What are you talking about ? “ She said
“ You well.. he was drinking because he was stressed because you were in the hospital.. if you hadnt ..” Jared said
“ Dont you blame me for this! Jessicas the one who bullied me for years until I had to ! “ Ophelia said
“  That dosent matter Ophelia your still the one who decided to starve yourself.. that wasn't Jessicas choice. “ Jared said. “ Now lets just go back inside.
“ No you go inside I'm going to stay out here. “ She replied.
Ophelia sat outside and starred at the traffic passing by. She didnt know what to do or where to go but she knew she couldnt stay here . Jessica was the daughter Desmond had always wanted not stupid little Ophelia. Ophelia never did go back inside. She walked out into traffic and sat there waiting for the cars to not pass by her until the sherrif pulled up and took her back to the hospital.
This time however she wasnt in the hospital because she was dying – this time it was because she was a “ risk to ehrself and others” . Ophelia woke up in a white paddded room . She was chained to the wall and had nowhere to go. She screamed and cried out for help and a nurse walked in .
“ So our little sleeping beautys awake . “ She said
“ Where am I . “ Ophelia said attempting to pull out of the chains.
“ Your in the hospital. “ She said
“ This isnt a hospital . This is a fricking prison cell.  “ Ophelia replied.
“ Now listen young lady. One don't use this kind of language . “ she said
Ophelia began to rage inside her chains. She pulled and pulled and behind her you could hear the wall crack just a bit . A man ran in the room and stabbed Ophelia in the side and soon she was in a deep sleep.
She woke up in a bedroom with a nurse beside her taking notes.
“ Why am I here. “ Ophelia said
The nurse looked at her calmly and said “ You tried to kill yourself. “
Ophelia looked at her deep in the eye and said “ Thats my right . This is my life and I'm an American citzen. I have the right to life liberty and the oursuit of happiness and if I have the right to live I have the right to die. “
The nurse took a deep breath and sighed.
“ Look girl your 13 years old and your mother put you in here . Your right to “ die” isnt yours until you turn 18 and right now all you are is a little brat . “
“ Why are you treating me like this! I have rights! “ Ophelia said
“ Until you leave this place you dont have any rights except the right to your safety and the safety of others. “ “ Now give me your arm . “
Ophelia held out her arm and watched as she tied a green rubber band around the upper part of it. She flicked her thumb twice against Ophelias cold , pale skin . And as the needle went into Ophelias arm you could see something clic in her eyes. She was completely alone . There was nothing she could do and no way she could escape. And thats when Ophelia gave up.
The hospital stay came and went and more followed through that summer her 8th grade year. She stayed in the hospital a week at a time every other week. She was a regular and all the nurses knew her name. She was almost expected. She was working on catching up on the work shed missed all the time she was in the hospital during the school year and she did catch up – in fact she was able to do extra work to prepare for highschool. Ophelia proved to be an intellegent and cunning young girl when provided with the correct enviorment and removed from her stressors but whenever she was returned to her origanl setting everything went back to how it was. She wouldnt talk to anyone anymore- she felt isolated and alone. That day her 9th grade year started and everything returned to the way it had always been, everyone already knew who she was before she even walked into the school.
“ Theres the slut who almost starved herself to death . “
“ Theres the girl whose father beat up the richest girl in school.
“ Theres the girl whose father raped her  . “
Ophelia couldnt handle their words any longer. She couldnt handle anything anymore. She went into the bathroom and sat on the cold tile . She pulled herself around and kneed on the tile until she was hanging her head over it and slowly she slipped her fingers down her throat and the world diseapered.
While all this was going on at school Ophelia began to bully her mother at home. Whatever moved she had been in that day was the mood shed reflect back onto her mother until the middle of her 9th grade year.
Ophelia had been sitting in her English class when a young man had walked in.  He had bright blue eyes and deep black hair. He was tall and slim . He reminded Ophelia of the pictures she'd seen of her brother Hannibal and she was attracte to him immeditly. Shy Ophelia walked up to him at lunch that day.
“ Where are you from ? “ Ophelia asked
“ I'm from Alaska my dad was a researcher there .” he said
“ Oh cool so youve seen the northern lights ?” Ophelia said
“ Yeah I have a picture on my phone. “ he said pulling out an Iphone 5 and scrolling his finger across the screne until he got to the picture. He flashed the picture at Ophelia.
“ May I see your phone for a second? “ She asked
“ Sure” he replied
Ophelia took his phone and dialed a few numbers until finally she handed him his phone back  .
“ What did you do “ he asked
“ I put my number in. The names Ophelia . You ? “
“ Nooone really needs to know my name “ he replied and walked away.
Through the weeks the two kids got to know each other better and better. They talked all day and all night it seemed and for once everything was going okay for little Ophelia. He made sure Jessica left her alone and there was nothing Jessica could do to take him away from her . Everything was as it should be . By a month they were considered an offical couple. There last date was at Olive Garden there 10th grade year  but something just wasnt quite right.  He had looked her in the eyes that night and said
“ What would you do if you lost me ? “
She had smiled big and took a sigh and said “ Your not... “
“ You dont need to know what I am or am not planning on doing I just want to know what you would do if you lost me. “ he said in a snippy voice
“ Look .. you cant keep hiding things from me , I dont even know your name ! Weve been dating for a year now and you wont even tell me your name , you wont let me meet your parents , you wont let me go to your house!” She said
“ You dont understand Ophelia! “
“ No , no I dont “ she said “ please explain it to me.”
“ You want to know why I wont let you in. I dont have any fricking parents! I dont have a home ! My home is that little bench under the local bridge ! The only parents I have are the two homeless men that live with me and rape me in my sleep while I pretend not to notice. Are you happy now Ophelia! “ he said flipping over the table and walking out with Ophelia running behind him. That was the last she ever heard from him . The next day she discovered he'd hung himself off the bridge and the only thing he'd left was a purple flower.
Hed passed away and everything went to Hell. She started to remember all these horrible things that had happened in her life and it was all she could wrap her head around. And so she went on a downward spiral. She made a friend - his name was Jazkick and than he had  girlfriend whose name was Annabella. They introducded her to a world beyond her imagination. That morning after had passed away shed been sitting in the corner with a ox of tissues crying her eyes out when Jazkick had walked up. Hed put his arm around her and rubbed her hair and told her everything was going to be okay. Hed taken her to meet Annabella and they hit it off instantly - in more ways than one. Annabella introducded her to a new world. they smocked pot , they shot heroin , they did bars, and eventook some extesie. Within months she was smocking a pack a day and she was begging to question her sexuality. Slowly her and Annabella got closer and closer until one day something happened. Theyd been smocking in Jazkicks truck while he was at work and both the girls were drunk out of there minds. Annabella had leaned over to Ophelia and given her a quick kiss on the cheek and within an instant things had gotten out of control. And that's when Jazkicks walkedup... and suddenly thr world was black and blue. Ophelia had woken up in the arms of Jazkick with Annabella laying bleeding on the ground. She hd gotten up and screamed and realized she was chained to the bed. There was nowhere for her to go. She was trapped in his arms and powerless to do anything but watch her friend and secret lover die on the floor while she was kissed by her exboyfriend/ She spent three months with Jazkick starring at Annabellas dead body on the floor. The cops searching for her and Desmond cursing at every passing car.Than one day he went to the store after finally having run out of supplies and she knew she needed to make a break for it now or never. She went to the back window and gently tugged on the panel until it came lose. She squeezed her body though the open panal and ran but than she stopped dead in her tracks. She realized shed left Annabellas rotting body in the house- and she knew she had to go back. She sneaked back through the window to find Jazkicks standing there with a shot gun and before she knew it she was out cold. She woke up in the hospital. She never thought being shot would've have been her ticket out. Jazkicks had pretended to be her father but to no avail- hed been charged and arrested within minutes of taking her to the hospital. The cops had come around to interegate Ophelia but all she could think about was getting him charged for Annabellas murder and dismissed any alligations of rape or attempted murder toward her. She didn't want this young teenager going to prison for life  - just simply long enough to become a better person. 

Ophelia sat on the ground of the locker room and thought about what would happen . Jessica would laugh at her breasts while filming them for the local boys so theyd know she had nothing to offer and shed film Ophelia flicking her off at the end but Jessica would edit the video so that part wouldnt show. Theyd go out to play whatever sport they were supposed to play and everyone would run circles around Ophelia and Jessica would hollar insults at her till Ophelia went to the teacher and said she was to frail and she needed to sit down. Than the teacher would give her a worried look and pull her aside and ask if everything was alright at home. Shed smile and say yes everything was fine and the teacher would ask if everything was alright at school . Everybody would be looking at them at this point. Ophelia would reply with yes its fine I just am not getting enough rest and shed sit down.But today it was different. When the teacher pulled her aside she pulled her into her office and sat her down with Desmond in the room .  It was an interegation waiting to happen
“So Ophelia I called your mother in here to talk about the issues that have been going on in your life. “ 
“ I dont have any issues “ Ophelia had replied
“ Yes you do. I see what those kids say to you and beyond that you can barley walk. Desmond do you have anything to say .”
“ No mam”  Desmond said
“ Youre not the least concerned about your daughters health ? “
Desmond chuckled and said “ shes not my daughter “ and walked out of the room.
“ Whatcha gonna do about it Ophie , whatcha gonna do ! “  she said pushing her into the lockers. She sat there her hands covering her face , attempting to hide her tears.
“ Its not like your ever going to amount to anything . Ill make sure you dont I'm going to end you once and for all. “  she said as she slammed Ophelia across the room and walked away. Slowly Ophelia sat up and wiped her arm across her scarlet eyes. She inspects herself for wounds and with shaking legs stands and dusts herself off changing in the empty locker room and walking into the hall. You could hear the voices following her
“ Oh look its the freak Ophelia . “
“ Hey look guys theres the pipsqueak “
“ I could crush her like a bug “
“ She has to be anorexic  “
“ I hear her father went to prison “
She never said a word to these people – she couldnt deny what they said was true. She walks home along the dirt path that leads to the middle of nowehere – but here she was in charge. She slams the front door behing her and pulls a knife out of her back pack .
“ Stand up woman . “  she said gestering the knife up and with shaky legs her mother stands up from the recliner. 
“ I'm home now you little good for nothing so now you do what I say or this knife oes through your heart. “ She said and so her mother did.
It was the next day at school. Ophelia was in a pleasant mood running laps around the track when a hand pulls her down and shes wrestled down into a ditch.
“ Remember me Ophelia? “
of course she remembered her – it was the girl whod bullied her , her entire life .
“ I told you I was going to end you once and for all and by god im going to end you .” she said pulling out a kitchen knife and holding it against Ophelias throat. Ophelia cried out for help but noone was around to hear her please and so she fended for herseld. She grabbed Jessica's wrist and twisted until she heard a snap and than she ran. She ran until she was home – she ran until she was safe. She slammed the door harder than before .
“ I'm in abad mood woman go to the store and get me some  cake “ she said shaking with anger .
“ No “ Desmond replied.
“ No?! “ Ophelia shouted.
“ I will not be your servant any more . “ her mother cried out. Ophelia pinned her mother against the wall and wrapped her hands around her neck and slowly tightned her grip until no more cries could be heard. She left her there in the living room and gathered her supplies- hanging her mother to hid eher final abuse.

Time came and went. Ophelia was turned over to a foster home and became known as the parentless child. By the time she was adopted she was a junior in highschool going on 17. She had started slittling her wrists almost every night. She would carve Desmond in her wrists because of the guilt she felt. It was like Desmond's ghost was haunting her but at the same time Ophelia had felt no guilt because of all the things Desmond had done to her over the years. Her new family however was no better. Here Ophelia was powerless. They had an older son who smoked pot every night in his bedroom and stunk up the whole house and would occasionally come into Ophelias room and try to play with her. Than there was the fact that her adoptive father was a cop and had little tolerence for anyone or anything and than there was the fact that her foster mother was an abusive alcoholic. Her and Ophelia would get into the worst fights possibly beating each other around till one was knocked out cold. Jessica was leaving her alone however for once in her life. It had been almost a year since Jessica had said anything to her but while this was a relief this also made Ophelia quite paranoid. Her new parents however gave little regard to her food consumption. As long as she ate a bannana at breakfast and a thing of snow peas at dinner they were content. They didnt seem to care that she was basically floating away in the wind. Ophelia had gone to school that morning in her long sleeved shirt and loose fitting jeans and Jessica had walked up to her for the first time in a year.
“ How are you doing Ophie “ she said
“ Fine Jessica. How are you . “ Ophelia replied
“ I'm doing just dandy thank you .. I have a present for you . “ Jessica said
“ Oh really .. what is it ? “ Ophelia replied
Jessica pulled out a little orange button and said push it.
“ Jessica I'm no idiot I know whats going to happen. I'm going to press this button and somethings going to drop from the ceiling or splurt out of my locker and i'm going to be all embarresed but the jokes on you I dont care anymore “ Ophelia said pressing the button .Than suddenly a huge ball of flames burst out all around Ophelia.
“ How did you even do this! “ Ophelia had screamed pulling her hair and backing away from the flames.

“ Wouldnt you like to know! When you have money you can do a lot of things ! I had to save up  a years allowence “ Jesscia replied
“ Why why do you do this stuff to me what did I ever do to you! I know I hurt your brother and im sorry but I think were even now you killed everything I had!”  Ophelia said
“ No were not even ! Well be even when you finally get it through your big fat head that the only place you belong is 6 feet under! “ “ Enjoy those 3rd degree burns “ Jessica had said walking away but for once in Ophelias life luck was on her side. The fire alarms rang through the school and water fell from the ceiling allowing Ophelia's burns to be cooled by the water but this water... this water gave her an idea.
Ophelia was home completely alone. She turned the water on in the tub and sat down on the toilet and thought about her life. She looked at the pictures shed brought in their with her and burned them with her lighter. The picture of Hanniabal , the piture of her mother, the picture of her ex boyfriend , the one of Desmond and finally the one of Jessica. Everything was in place. The hit man had been hired and there was no turning back. Jessica would be killed tonight – and so would Ophelia. She looked back and saw the tub overflowing and stopped the water with her cold shaky hands. She undressed herself slowly and sat in the water. She got up and looked out the window and doublechecked to make sure noone was home and than sat back down and slowly she went under. But as she went under she saw the blood , she heard the screams and she knew she couldnt go – not yet. She ran to Jessicas house and pounded on the door.
“ Jessica , Jessica you have to get out!!”
When suddenly there was a cold hand on her neck .
“ Are you Jessica?” the man said
Ophelia with shaking hands turned around and said
“ Yes. “
“ I have something for you Jessica . “ and suddenly ophelia was shot in the head and chopped into pieces. The next day she was floating in the ocean piece by piece and in the weeks after she was found by people.. all cursed with bad luck till the day they died.

This book has 1 comment.

SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
Great job!