The Best Chance I Gave Someone | Teen Ink

The Best Chance I Gave Someone

By Emily Clark, Hampton, New Hampshire
Emily Clark, Hampton, New Hampshire

It was happening.  It was real. It was tonight.  Prom, the most important night of every girls Junior and Senior year.  Everything was going to be perfect, or at least I thought so.  My name’s Kylie, I’m a junior at Forest Hill High School in Trevas California.  Since I’m a junior prom is planned out to be the best night ever, but sadly I can’t tell the future and didn’t see what was ahead of me.
I’m not your average blonde Barbie most popular-yet b****y to every girl in high school.  Everyone knows me yet the main popular girls don’t like me (not sure why).  So I’m, I guess you could say, “2nd in line” on popularity.  I don’t have the jock c***y boyfriend either.  Boys at my school are overrated anyway.  All they do is use girls, especially the girls in the “popular clique”.  Actually for the narration of this story why I don’t just call them “PQ” from now on.  So anyway back to prom, this whole thing started probably about a month before prom.
I was just sitting in my chemistry class minding my own business when the student advisory board president came into my classroom and said, “This year for prom we are going to actually vote for a prom king and queen and not pick it out of a hat like we usually do! So couples, get ready to campaign!” That was when every girl in my class started to squeal out of excitement.  I just simply rolled my eyes and went back to doing my work.

After class I met my two best friends, Taylor and Emma.  We were walking through the hallway when we saw the queen b**** Lauren putting up posters of her and her boyfriend in the hallway and was shouting out “vote for me and Jake for prom!! Do it!!”  Jake was with all his jock lacrosse friends.  Oh Jake, Jake Barns that is. Jake had light brown hair with bright blue eyes and tan complexion, basically every girls dream boy.  Jake and I grew up neighbors and were good friends up until high school.  Once we both got to high school he changed.  He started to play football and lacrosse and became a total douche, and to top it all off he started to date Lauren.  Jake and I haven’t talked in maybe 2 years.  The last time he talked to me was to ask me what the geometry homework was, and since then nothing. The day dragged on and I couldn’t wait to just get out of school, especially since Taylor, Emma, and I were going to find our prom dresses.  I needed THE perfect dress, to upstage Lauren at prom, so maybe Jake will actually notice me again. 
After school Taylor, Emma, and I went to Madeline’s Event Central to find prom dresses.  I tried on probably 6 dresses that didn’t fit right or look right.  I was still on the search for my dream dress, when suddenly I saw it tucked away in one of the corners of the old dressing rooms.  It was a coral dress with a V-neck and had sparkles on the neckline and stomach.  I had been dreaming of this dress all year and I had finally found it!! I went and immediately tried it on and it was a little long but that could be fixed easily.  The only problem was that it was $350.  I called my mom and BEGGED her to help me pay for it.  She told me she would since she knew that prom was such a big thing to me.  I asked the woman who owned the business why the dress was in the dressing rooms. 
She said, “oh someone from your school came in and tried it on but didn’t like it, her name was Lauren I think”. My eyes got so big when she said that because I knew that it was Lauren Piper who had that dress, the one girl in the school who dreaded my presence and would be more than pissed off that I got the prom dress that she tried on.  This only pursued me more to get the dress.

A week had passed.  Nothing new had happened just the same old boring suburban life.  I thought everything was going to be boring up until April 15th.  It was a Wednesday and I was sitting in chemistry.
Everything was normal, the bell rang and I started to get all my things when my teacher said to me, “Kylie can you stay back for a minute?”  I got nervous thinking I was in trouble.  I got my books together and went to Mrs. Montgomery’s desk. 
I asked her if I was in trouble and she said to me, “No dear! You are the farthest thing from trouble.  In fact I actually need your help”. 
I asked her what she needed help for and she said, “I need you to tutor a classmate of yours, Jake.  He is struggling with the new material and I already talked to him about it and he said he wants a tutor because he needs to keep his grade up for lacrosse”.  I rolled my eyes at this because of course Jake “needs” his grade up for lacrosse, since lacrosse is all that he cares about.  Initially I wanted to say no, but then it clicked in my brain that this would be a chance for me to actually talk to Jake and to hangout with him again.  So of course I told Mrs. Montgomery yes and she told me that I should go to Jake and tell him that I would be his tutor and where we should meet to start.  Ha are you kidding me, ME going up to Jake and telling him “hey Jake I’m your new tutor! See you soon!”  1.  That would be totally humiliating, and 2.  Lauren would absolutely kill me. 
I told myself I would find another way when someone knocked on Mrs. Montgomery’s door.  Guess who it just happened to be.  Yes of course it was Jake. 
He came in and said “Mrs. Montgomery I have that homework I missed from yesterday”.  Jake looked at me with his deep blue amazing eyes.  I couldn’t help but smile and he smiled back.  That smirk with his dimples would break any girls heart. 
Mrs. Montgomery with a giant smile on her face said, “Oh how convenient is this! Jake I would like you to meet your new tutor, Kylie”.
Jake cut her off before she could say any more and said “Mrs. Montgomery I know who Kylie is, we’re neighbors”.  Hold on time out, Jake just told Mrs. Montgomery that he knows who I am, when he’s acted clueless for three years now. 
Wow, okay time in again. “Oh good!! So you guys can set up a time to study, don’t forget we have that huge test right before prom! You don’t want to fail and be kicked off the lacrosse team do you Jake?”
“No ma’am”. 
“Good, well I have a teacher meeting to get to, you two plan a time okay?”
“Sure thing” Jake said. 
Mrs. Montgomery left and it was just Jake and I in the room.  I didn’t really know what to say.  I’m so awkward as it is and I haven’t talked to Jake in 2 years. 
We stood there in silence for about 10 seconds when Jake broke the silence and said, “how have you been? I haven’t talked to you in forever”
“I’m good you know same old”. What was wrong with me?? I asked myself, I sound like an idiot. 
Jake said, “Well this is lucky that we’re neighbors we aren’t far to study with each other”.
“Oh yeah that’s true, it doesn’t matter to me where we study”
“How about you come over around 6 tomorrow?” Jake just invited me over his house, well for a school matter, but still! 
“Sounds good to me”
“Alright cool, and thanks again for agreeing to tutor me”
“No problem Jake”. 
And at that moment things became back to normal when Lauren walked in the room and yelled, “There you are Jake!! I’ve been looking all over for you! We have a lot of prom planning to do to win for prom king and queen!” 
I looked away when she talked about this because I could tell she was staring at me with that nasty look she gives when she was talking to Jake.  Jake looked at me with almost a look of despair.  I’ve never seen him with this look before.  It was as if before Lauren walked into the room Jake had felt like his old self again.  Lauren grabbed Jake’s hand and dragged him out of the room.
Jake yelled “Bye Kylie see you tomorrow!”

The next day had come.  I was at my house after school just waiting to go to Jake’s.  I was so nervous; this was the first time I would hang out with Jake since 8th grade.  Things were different now.  We had both gone through puberty and I can only hope that somehow Jake will see how things used to be and what a great guy he used to be before Lauren came into his life.  It was now 6:05 and I finally acquired the nerve to walk over to his house and ring the doorbell.  His mom answered the door; I haven’t seen her in years.  She was so happy to see me, she told me that she missed hanging out with my mom and I when we would all go into the city for the day.  Jake’s mom told me that Jake was just changing and asked me if I would like anything to eat or drink.  I politely said no, seeing as though I could throw up at any moment from being nervous.  Jake came down to the kitchen wearing sweatpants.  I couldn’t help but smile, I mean c’mon any guy in sweatpants is extremely hot!  Jake asked if I wanted to study outside on the porch. 
I said, “whatever works” way to high and sounded way too excited. 
The studying was fine and surprisingly wasn’t as awkward as I thought it was going to be.  Jake was joking around with me and everything was completely casual.  I actually couldn’t believe it.  Jake told me that he would like to study again in a week, which would be a day before the test and two days before the prom.  Little did I know that that study session would change everything and screw up all my feelings.  Up until this time I never would really talk to boys.  Yeah people know who I am and stuff but I’m not one to be talking to a lot of boys.
I was sitting on the porch at my house with Jake studying as we always do when Jake said to me, “Kylie you’re different, and not a bad different.  It’s a very good different.  When I’m with you I feel like I can be myself, my old self that is.  I’m not pressured to be an ass to people or do go party with everyone all the time”.
I didn’t know what to say to this.  I just kind of stared at him for a couple minutes to be quite honest. 
I didn’t say anything for about 10 seconds and then Jake said, “this is awkward I shouldn’t have said anything”. 
I cut him off, as he was about to say more and said, “No Jake don’t say that! I didn’t really know what to say, not out of dislike of what you said, but out of confusion.  Jake you haven’t even acknowledged my existence for 3 years.  Ever since high school started you’ve completely acted like we weren’t best friends before that, and not to mention the whole Lauren thing”
After that Jake cut me off and said, “Listen Kylie I know I’m not the nicest guy, but being around you makes everything seem right.  Trust me I’ve had confusion ever since we started studying together.  I know this may sound crazy but I think I’m falling for you”
Are you serious? Jake…telling me…he is falling for me…is this real life? THIS time I really didn’t know what to say. I mean how does one react to the guy of your dreams telling you that he is falling for you when he has a girlfriend who happens to HATE you? Yeah try being in my position.  Not to mention that I’m so damn awkward it’s almost comical.
I had to get back to reality, I said to Jake, “Jake you have to idea how much it means to me that you’re saying this to me, and its not that I don’t have feelings for you because trust me I do, its just that you’re dating Lauren and we’re such different people and have such different lives and friends and everything…what I’m trying to say is that things change and the people we are surrounded by right now aren’t going to just go away”
Jake got really quiet and didn’t say anything at first.  I knew that what I said was not what he was looking to hear.  What he said next surprised me.  He looked deep into my eyes and said, “I know things have changed but I want you to know Kylie you make me a better person.  When I’m with you I’m not the asshole I usually am and I’m not pressured to do stuff like all my friends do.  And I know that even though I’m saying this it might not change anything but I want you to know that I care about you and I always will and that I want to be with you and not be the person I once was.”
After Jake said this he got up and got his stuff and started to walk away and said, “let me know if I can have the chance to be with you”, and walked away.
I wanted to start crying when he walked away.  All I wanted to do was run after him and tell him that I wanted to be with him and everything would be okay, but I knew that that’s not how it could work.  Things couldn’t just magically end up being happily ever after when there were so many factors.

Two days had passed; Jake wouldn’t even look at me now.  It was the day of prom.  I didn’t even want to go anymore.  Everything had fallen apart with Jake that it would just make me sad and angry to see him with Lauren at the dance, and to be crowned prom king and queen, because c’mon we both know that they’re going to win.  But I had to put in a big smile and act excited since my friends were jumping around in excitement waiting for the night to come. 
The three of us were ready and on our way.  I do have to say I thought I looked really good.  I drove because I like to be in control whenever we go somewhere and drive and I thought I could take my anger out about the situation with Jake when I was driving.  We pulled up to the country club where the prom was taking place and my nerves hit the roof.  I knew that I had to put a brave face on and act like nothing had happened with Jake.  We were walking up the walkway when a limo pulled up with music blasting from it.  My friends and I turned around wondering who could be inside.  And guess who it was of course! No one other than Jake and Lauren and their whole squad.  I saw Lauren get out of the limo, and I had to give it to her she did look pretty good.  Jake got out next and this is when the night started to get interesting.  When Jake got out I immediately looked away. 
Taylor said to me, “hey I forgot my ticket in the car I’m gonna run and get it but don’t go in without me!” 
So I stood to the side so I wouldn’t be in the way to Lauren and Jake.  Jake looked so good it pained me to see him with Lauren.  When Lauren walked by me she gave me an up down look and just glared at me.  I just looked away to try and not get self-conscious and to also not make eye contact with Jake.  I looked up and there he was in his black tux looking at me as he walked by. He smiled at me as he walked by and I couldn’t help but smile back.  All I wanted was to be going to this dance with him but I had to screw it up and tell him that I couldn’t be with him.
The dance was going good so far; I had fun dancing with my friends and had surprisingly and happily not seen Jake or Lauren at all.  That was until it was time to announce prom king and queen.  The principal came onto the stage and had some spiel about how everyone is a winner and that everyone should be proud of winning, yeah yeah now lets get onto the real important stuff, who won.  Jake, Lauren, and two other couples were up there.  Jake looked like he was dreading every moment of it, which I think he partially deserves.
Principal Rivers read the card and said, “and the winner is…Jake Barns and Lauren Martin! Congratulations guys!!!”
When their names were called Lauren started to jump up and down, and Jake looked like he wanted to jump off the roof.  The deans of the school gave them their crowns and asked them if they wanted to say something.  At this moment everything in the night was going to change.
Jake grabbed the microphone and said, “Thanks everybody but I have to make an announcement, and I know that everyone might hate me for doing this now but I’ve finally built up the nerve to do it.  Lauren I’m sorry to do this now but I’m breaking up with you”.
At this time not only did my jaw drop but everyone else’s in the room did and there was a huge gasp of everyone’s combining together.  My heart could not stop racing and I was so overwhelmed that I needed to get out of the place.
Jake continued and said, “I’m really sorry to do this now but I just can’t be with you anymore I’ve fallen for someone else”
I tried to run out of the room at this point but Jake stopped me when he said, “Kylie Montague, I know you’re in here and I know that you said that me being with Lauren would not give us a chance, but look at me now.  And I know that you said that things wouldn’t be easy for us to go magically to being together but I want you to give me that chance.  The past few days without you have been miserable and I want to be with you and have that chance to prove to you that you can count on me”
Mind you that Lauren and the whole Junior and Senior classes are listening to this.  After Jake said this he got off the stage and ran up to me.
He came over to me and said, “all that stuff I said up there is true and you mean so much to me Kylie”
After he said this I grabbed him and kissed him.  I mean he had gone through all of this and told half or more of the school that he wanted to be with me.  I knew that I could give him a chance now.  And I mean look at us now, I’m telling you this story on our 2-year wedding anniversary, and let me tell you I’m very happy that I gave him that chance.