The Art of Letting Go | Teen Ink

The Art of Letting Go

By HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

Summary:

Emilia McLaughlin would have never guessed that the she would have to make the biggest decision of her life after her own death. Emilia and her parents died in a tragic and mysterious house fire, and the only lucky survivor was Adam, her older brother. When Emilia and her parents are brought up to Heaven, Emilia is granted the choice to bring anyone from Earth to join herself and her family in Heaven. The story follows three people; Adam, Zooey, and April, and the journeys on which they embark to try to overcome their own personal challenges, as well as how they master the art of letting go.

HudaZavery

The Art of Letting Go

on Jul. 31 2015 at 9:04 am
TravelerenRoute GOLD, Ribera, New Mexico

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others."
Marianne Williamson

This is incredible writing! I am only on the very first bit now, but I will continue to read it! Thank you.

apoetsmind BRONZE, Toronto, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

She was like the moon, part of her was always hidden

This is amazing, I haven't been on this site for a good while so I read your comment on my story very late and it led me here. But seriously, you're such a talented writer. I love what you wrote about and the way you put words together :)

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

I really like the concept of this story, you take the idea of afterlife and really put a new twist on it. I do agree with some of the points Donna suggested, but at the same time, it all comes down to your vision and how you prefer your readers to see it. I can tell you worked very hard on this, so be proud and keep writing! :)

The_DoctorDonna PLATINUM, Anytown, Iowa

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says 'I'm Possible'"

This is a really great novel, and a very creative concept behind it. However, if you would like to have this published someday, I have some suggestions to improve it just a little. First of all, keep your voice consistent. I like that you have Emilia narrating. However, if this is the case then you are more restricted. Emilia can not possibly know other people's thoughts, or whether someone's hands are cold or hot. In order to keep the descriptive details (which are very good!) you need to either switch POV or else have a saying that mentions something like, "once I was dead, I could hear other people's thoughts, and feel what they were feeling" or something along those lines. Also, in the same token, you switch very quickly back and forth between Adam and April, seeming to follow both of them at the same time. If this is true, how is Emilia in both places at once? This needs to be explained for the readers to comprehend everything. One last suggestion, be sure to keep your characters consistent. Adam goes from being all depressed at his house to suddenly deciding to move away and acting all happy, and then goes back to being sullen. Other than those things, I really enjoyed the storyline. I kept reading on and on because I wanted to know what happened next. Keep writing!