The writer's tutor: the beginning | Teen Ink

The writer's tutor: the beginning

By NMStories BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia
NMStories BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia

“Imagination is as close as we will ever be to godhead . . . for in imagination, we can create wonders.”
― Chris Wooding, Poison

Author's note:

I always felt I'm like this character: i can think of crazy ideas but I never think they're any good. So I decided to write it and it might make my feel better. I want people to believe that they're writing will actually make a difference and not to lower their self-esteem because they write.

It was an average Monday morning. We were in Spanish class, learning something or other about some man named Francisco Franco. The teacher was teaching, the students were learning (somewhat), and everything seemed to be going great.

That was until a giant tentacle came out of the window and into the classroom and started attacking!! Everyone was panicking, except for the brave man in the corner, who turned around, and with a might heave, he-

My Spanish teacher took the paper I was writing right off my desk and began reading it. Aloud; so the entire class to hear. It was safe to say that I was blushing at all the stares.

It was at the part where the tentacle started attacking that my teacher sighed and gave me back my paper.

“Frederico,” my teacher called me by my Spanish name, “no está escribido en ingles y contesta la pregunta.” My teacher pointed towards the whiteboard, asking a question about Francisco Franco, even though she probably knew I didn’t know it. And she would be correct; I had no idea what it was. So I decided to use comedy to help alleviate my stupidity.

“Umm…Bean burrito?”

I sighed and looked at my detention slip. I wasn’t really expecting a good response to my answer, but seriously, does it have to be so bad that I get a bad grade and a detention slip?

“Hey Nikhil,” I looked to my left to see a tall, Asian kid the same age as me standing next to my desk, “nice try with the dumb joke. Sorry about the detention slip, by the way. We all laughed at it.”

“Don’t worry about it, Mason,” I smiled at my friend. I don’t even remember him and I being friends. All I remember was that we were partners for a short while during Spanish class last year. And now we were pretty good friends. And even then, I had to look around Mason and to her, “did she laugh at all?” Mason’s face got more solemn when he heard what I really wanted to hear.

“Sorry bro,” Mason put his white-faced head down, “Rachel barely noticed what you said. Like always.” I frowned. No matter how much I tried, no matter how hard I tried; I could never make the one person I truly cared about laugh or even smile for that matter. No wonder she stopped being my friend since 11th grade…I could feel Mason reading my thoughts. He was really too good at interpersonal skills.

“Hey, don’t beat yourself up!!,” Mason reassured me, “everyone else thinks your funny!! What’s one person compared to literally the rest of the class? Besides, what happened between you two? Weren’t you and Rachel like best friends since 9th grade?” I looked down at my desk. In front of me was a bunch of scribbles and little writings that I randomly thought of while school started. They just kinda pop into my head when I think of something, and then I scribble them on the paper. They were in essence the perfect little stream of consciousness writing, for they show off the entirety of my dreams. Too bad they were all just that: dreams.

“I know I can make everyone else laugh,” I grabbed all my books and unceremoniously dumped them all in my bag in no particular order. I really didn’t feel like trying to organize it, “I just can’t make the most important one laugh.” I slowly stood up, picked up my bag, and left the classroom for detention. Mason didn’t follow me, and instead looked at the mass of papers around my desk. He picked up a small slip of paper I forgot to bring out (he would also be pretty mad that I kept an eye poking in the room just to know what he was doing), and put it in his pocket. At that point I had to start leaving for detention, since I didn’t feel like getting two detentions in one day really helped my situation with my Spanish teacher.

The next day was like the exact same as yesterday. I went to all my classes, did pretty ok in English and Economics, made pretty bad grades in science and math, and by that time it was time for Spanish.

And the moment I got into the classroom I knew something was off. For one thing, all the students were huddles around my desk, the desk near the corner, for some reason. Even Rachel, the girl that I wish was still my friend, was talking to everyone else, barely noticing I was there. Luckily, no one saw me staring at that 5”8, white-skinned body with long, raven hair. I felt so bad how she wasn’t talking to me for some reason, and I knew that someway or another I would have to figure out why…but first, I was wondering what people were doing around my desk.

After a bit of pushing, shoving, and trying to get to my desk, I reached…what looked like a giant cardboard box right on top of my desk. It almost looked like a voting box, only with a bigger hole to insert voting tickets. Only instead of votes, people seemed to be submitting paper instead.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and sure enough, there was Mason, showing off his pearly whites in front of everyone.

“Hey, Nikhil,” Mason seemed almost proud of himself, “like my little surprise?” I was glad that Mason was here; at least I had one person who could fill me in on whatever’s going on.
“Yo, Mason. What’s going on? Why’s everyone on my desk…actually don’t answer that. Tell me why there’s a freaking poll doing on in my desk!!” Mason chuckled at me.

“Don’t worry so much. It’s not a poll in the first place, but a contest!!” Mason pulled out a piece of paper that I wrote on yesterday, an old diary entry from yesterday that he picked up. I looked back at what the guy had in front of me. Sure enough…I learned how much of this was actually my fault.

Dear Diary, I know I have this big crush, but maybe I’ll feel a little better if I can get published. Then I’ll feel a little bit better.

I just stared at the note Mason was smiling about. I literally couldn’t believe it. He took that stupid thing I wrote and made it into this?! Mason put the paper away and grinned at me.

“So you were asking about getting published, so I decided to make your dream a reality!! You see, my friend knows a well-known publishing company that is trying to find a new television show. So I decided to contact him and host a contest here. Basically, you send in a script that you’re working on and he’ll make it a television show!! I know it’s not the same as publishing, but it’s god near close and who wouldn’t want their own story being put on freakin’ television. Plus,” and Mason got really close to me and whispered, “I’m pretty sure this’ll impress a certain lady friend to the point of her loving you again.” Mason gestured to Rachel, who was talking to her other friends about the contest…apparently she really wanted to win badly, which just made me feel a bit worse for participating in this contest.

“Mason,” I reasoned, “I’m happy about what you did, but I doubt I’ll be able to win with all these impressive people all being in this contest.”

“Aww c’mon,” Mason got a bit angry at that, “that’s your problem. You’re funny, but you’re reserved because you just don’t try!! Your writing is amazing; you’re just as good as, if not better, than all these guys, or at least funnier and more epic than they are. You have the eyes to see extraordinary when there are ordinary. That’s something I wish I had, and will give you an extra edge in this contest!! Now go!!” And Mason practically pushed me straight towards the contest box, it’s eerily black hole just taunting me, wishing for me to put something in those gaping jaws. I sighed, just looking at it and clutching my old tentacle story I finished last night.

“Even if I win, and that’s a really if,” I muttered, “do I really deserve it more than anyone else...She would be a lot better if I give it to her. And I bet she would actually notice me if I do that. Alright it’s a plan.” I smiled and wrote down the name and put the story in the box…it actually didn’t seem as bad now that I put something in it, like it’s gaping jaws were smiling at me, telling me that I had satiated its fill of stories now that I put it in.

A young girl with long, waist-level, dark hair was coming over to her dad’s place, a stack of papers in her arms. She wasn’t an eyesore, with no blemish on her face, and brown glasses that just enhanced her large, purple eyes. She had on just some basic attire: a white shirt and purple blouse. She was wearing simple blue jeans and brown shoes. She really didn’t need to get completely dressed up; she was just spending her time at her dad’s office.

“Hey dad.” she called out when she came to her dad’s office. All it really had was a desk and three chairs. Two were in between the desk in true office fashion; the last one was on the left side of the office. Because the big boss loved symmetry, he also had a window on the opposite side of the chair, making sure it was able to see the parks, other buildings, and the ocean. The boss also loved nature.

The boss for his part was looking at some papers in one hand and calling someone on the other hand. He seemed to be a pretty young and energetic man, with rich black hair on his slightly trimmed black glasses. His complete suit consisted of a plain white suit and tie, with khaki pants and large brown dress shoes.

“Marvin, this isn’t a drill. I need you to give me a good idea for a kids show!! All you’ve given me is a stupid lamb that finds love, a farm girl who wants to save the world, and a turtle that fights evil with the help of his pet rat!! That’s not quality TV material for kids and teens!! That might be good for a dog, but not for man!!” And with that, he hung up and sighed, looking sadly at his daughter. All of a sudden, he looked like 50 years older.

“Please, Heather, give me something that I can feel like is going my way. Right now, our television company is screwing up with kid’s television shows. There’s gotta be someone out there that has the vision I’m looking for. Someone who isn’t scared of looking at things through a new light. That’s all I’m asking. What’s all that paper for, Heather?” Heather placed the stack of papers on the boss’s desk. The man looked at the papers, and then back at Rachel.

“What are these for?”

“Don’t you remember,” Heather answered, “you made some dumb contest because of a friend’s request. Although I seriously doubt you’ll be able to find someone who is better than your trained professionals. I mean, what do you think will happen?” The boss just shrugged and read through some of the stories that were on his paper. The first one: The tentacle menace.

“I mean, what do most people look for? Romance, comedy, maybe some action, stupid scenario-“ Heather stopped when she noticed her dad actually smiling and chuckling to himself. She knew how her dad gets when he sees something he really likes. She sighed.
“DAD!!” Heather yelled straight in her dad’s ear, causing temporary deafness but getting his attention.

“I’m sorry, Heather. But you know how I get once I see something I like. And I really what I’m reading right now. Whoever this Rachel person is, I really want her to be part of my board.” Heather sighed, and shuffled through some of the other papers that were on the stack for, you know, reasons. Until of course she saw another story. Confusingly, she picked it up, and looked at her father.

“Umm dad, apparently whoever this Rachel girl is, she apparently wrote two stories.” And Heather gave her dad the other paper. The old man looked at the paper with curiosity and began reading it. As soon as he began reading it, he looked at Heather with a look just as confused as his daughter’s.

“This seems really weird,” Heather’s father mused, “these stories seem like they were written by completely different people…hmm…something seems weird at this school.”

“Well what are you going to do about it?” Heather didn’t like how her dad had that mischievous grin on his smug face. Whenever he had that face, it always spelled trouble for her.

“What am I going to do? You mean what are you going to do?” Heather looked at him like he was crazy…only problem was that he looked completely sane.

I was already in Spanish, getting ignored by Rachel again, learning about something about subjunctive when I decided to try my hand at another joke…it really didn’t work since I decided to use our teacher as the center of the joke…which only gave me another detention slip even though Mason promised me that it was impossible to get a detention slip for a joke. I just sighed and looked at Rachel, hoping that it would’ve done something to get a reaction…I got another blank expression.

And then the craziness happened. She came into our classroom almost immediately after I got the detention slip (kinda wished she came a little sooner so our teacher would’ve forgotten to hand out the detention slip. But that really didn’t stop me (and like every other boy) to gawk at the girl that came in the classroom. She was about our age, with an awesome shirt and blouse. She kinda made even jeans look great as she walked towards the center of the classroom.

“Which one of you is Nikhil Patel?” I crouched in my desk, while everyone else started pointing towards me. It also didn’t really help that the girl came right in front of me and banged on my desk.

“So you’re the one who won my dad’s contest.” Everyone let up a large gasp. In one second, they remembered everything about the contest that was let up almost one month ago. Mason smiled at me, and he was already standing up and clapping before that gasp silenced.

“Nice job, Nikhil!!” I heard from my back, and heard more clapping, which made no sense. I kinda felt happy, for once something actually went my way. I just had to check and see if she was clapping too, and to see if I did something right…

…And Rachel was the only one not clapping, and just looking at her desk. Apparently also Heather noticed too. She looked back at me.

“This doesn’t make sense,” Everyone stopped clapping after I started talking, “I wasn’t even part of this stupid contest!!” Heather shook her head.

“No, you just put your story in some girl named Rachel’s name.” That got Rachel’s attention, and she looked back at me with a shocked look. I just looked at her with a stupid look.

“I had to do a lot of digging before I figured out that you were the one who wrote it. In fact, I had to go to your English class and ask to see your writing. Let’s just say that those English things I found seemed a lot more similar than what she wrote.” Heather took one step back and seemed to be a lot more regal in that light than before.

“Nikhil Patel,” she began, “you have the ability to become an amazing television writer. My dad first created the contest in order to find a good story for his television. However, once he saw your writing, he brought me, Heather Daniels, to tutor you. My dad wants me to make you into the next great television writer. And because of that, I’ll be with you for as long as necessary. Now, what do you say to that?” I looked at everyone. Mason was still giving me a nice smile, while everyone else seemed a bit encouraging. The only person who didn’t show any emotion was Rachel. I just stared at her for a second, and then looked back at Heather…only problem was when I turned to face Heather, she wasn’t there anymore. Instead, she was looking straight at Rachel’s desk.

“Hey,” Rachel looked back at Heather, “you know, he won’t say yes until you give him at least a thumbs up.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Rachel responded. Heather face-palmed herself.

“I know those eyes that he’s giving you,” Heather shot back, “it’s a pleading look. He wants his best friend to at least look at him and give him the thumbs up to go ahead and go with this awesome opportunity. If you really were his friend, you would give him this chance.” And with that, Heather went back to look at me. I really couldn’t believe someone would do something like that; and apparently, Heather could tell that. She just scoffed.

“Please, I didn’t do that for you. My dad wouldn’t give me the video game I’m looking for unless I give him a new writer. I can’t have you leaving for a stupid reason.” My smile kinda turned into a frown, but I was still happy someone stood up for me.

I looked back at Rachel. She was apparently thinking about what was said to her, but then she looked back at me. I looked at her with a sad look, but then noticed her smile.

And her thumbs up sign. My heart was close to bursting. I looked back at Heather with a smile and a shine in my eyes. It was pretty obvious my answer at this point. Heather just sighed and started walking back towards the door.

Halfway through opening the door, she looked back at me, “be careful. We start tomorrow morning. And be wary. Tomorrow will be the hardest day you’ve ad for a long time. Don’t expect it to be easy. We’ll be ready soon.”