The Hesher | Teen Ink

The Hesher

By Salvador Diaz, San Diego, California
Salvador Diaz, San Diego, California

It was the first day of high school, “finally a senior!” austin said. “I’m tired of school cant wait to graduate” he said in his mind. “Well I guess I have to go to first period now hope I have some chill teachers” he was thinking. He met John on his way to first period, they chatted as they walked together to class, “where are you from?” Austin asked.
  “I’m from here San Diego”, John replied and asked the same question to Austin.
Austin replied “I‘m from san diego too I just moved schools”. While they were talking Austin bumped into a guy named Justin by accident.
John told him “stay away from Justin if you don’t want to have problems he’s like the school bully that you don’t want to mess with”.
“I took boxing most of my life so I think I can protect my self” Austin replied.
“I don’t know Justin is pretty big and fat he has advantages”, John replied
“Well I have to go later”, Austin said.
“okay see you during lunch” he replied.
The first 3 classes went by fast until he got to math class and did nothing but look at the clock waiting for the class to end. “I hate math” he kept repeating in his mind. “forget math I’m going to sleep” he said. As soon as he woke up his teacher was staring at him with an angry face and said, “why are you sleeping in my class you need to pass this class if you want to graduate if I were you I’d listen because you’re going to need it in your future”.
“yes mr. S” he replied. finally lunch I'm starving”, he said. Austin saw John in the cafeteria so he went to go talk to him. “Hey whats up John how are your first couple of classes?” he asked.

“They’re pretty good, but so boring”,he said. “how are your classes going Austin”.
“same here”, he replied. Austin looked around and saw Justin staring at him with an angry face. “do you think Justin has a problem with me?”, Austin asked John 
“Im not sure but he might because you bumped into him by accident”, John answered.
“My first day of school and someone hates me already”, he reflected. “Well see you later John see you after school” Austin said as he was walking away. His last classes went by fast he was just thinking about getting out of class most of the time. At the end of the day he grabbed his skateboard and went off to skate, while Austin was skating justin threw a rock on the floor and Austin flew off his board and hit the ground pretty hard he scraped up his right elbow and knee. Justin was just laughing as he saw him fly off the board. “God damn why did you do that?” Austin asked justin.
“Because you bumped into me” Justin replied. Austin decided to walk away from justin so that he doesn’t make the problem bigger.
“I’m just gonna go to the skatepark” he was thinking. He skated and got to the park at 3:30 as soon as he got there he dropped his stuff and started skating grinding all over the park repeating in his mind, “thank god im not in school for the rest of the day and thank god for skateboarding”. After he got out of the skatepark he went to buy some pizza.

chapter 2

“Waking up for school early is not my thing”. Why doesn’t school start at a later time? Eh, “I might as well just be on my way”. As soon as he got to school, he saw justin and was thinking he should just stay away from and he did later that day he justin saw him and started annoying Austin making fun of him for falling the day before. Austin kept ignoring him like if nothing was going on.
Justin was getting frustrated that Austin wasn’t listening to him so he started pushing Austin. Austin was getting mad but he knew he couldn’t do nothing about it he just ran off and got away from justin, he was thinking about moving schools but he decided to just stay away from his problems in his mind he was thinking it might not do any difference but it will help a little.
When he got home he did his homework, he hated to have to do math homework he thinks hes never going to need to use it his life or in the future for nothing but his math classes and nothing else ever again. He called John and asked him if he wanted to skate john replied, “yeah sure, but I don’t have skateboard”.
“Ill let you borrow one of my old boards,” Austin said    
“Okay I’ll meet you at your house”, john replied. After 10 minutes john got to my house I gave him the board and we went off to skate around the neighborhood, 2 hours later john had to leave he gave the board back to me, but I told him he could keep it. “Im gonna go play some video games see you tomorrow at school”, I told john.
I just layed down on my bed, relaxed, and played some games and watched tv right after out of no where I took a short nap. When I woke up I started watching a movie about skateboarding it was pretty cool, “now time for me to go skate” he said looking at his reflection in the mirror.
As soon as he got out of his house he went to hesh park a skate park not to far from his house. On his way there he had a little bit of problems he saw justin at the park and thought Justin might do something to make him fall, but then he noticed Justin was just sitting down looking at the people skate. He assumed that justin didn’t do tricks he just cruised around he just skated to get to places when he needed to some place near him.
Austin was thinking what if he makes me fall again, “well whatever I’m  just going to skate if I fall then I fall who cares” he stated to himself. Justin ended up leaving he didn’t notice that Austin was there skating. “Thank god he didn’t see me he would’ve made me fall so many times” he whispered to himself.
“Well guess its time to go hesh some skate spots” he stated. He went to an 8 stair and decided to try it a soon as he got there, he fell 3 times trying to ollie jump them. in his fourth try he landed it he felt happy going skating a four and skipping to an 8 stair. He was surprised he actually landed although he had his doubts when he tried it the first time.
On his way home home he was shocked, “I can’t believe I did that I usually get scared and dont even try these kind of things I guess it might be the people around me that affect the way I think of skating”, he explained to himself. “Well I better go to sleep school tomorrow” he stated. “Time to go to lousy school again”, he stated. He had no problems with no one at school the whole, “I guess justin isn’t here today” Austin told john.
“That sounds like good news no problems for you today”, John stated.
“It does sound good, very good to me” Austin replied, “well see you after school john”.
“For sure”, John replied. “I can’t believe time is going by fast this year”, Austin commented. after school he saw john and asked him if he wanted to skate, John said he couldn’t so Austin left alone. “I need to make new friends”, he reflected, “some that skate everyday after school and would skate whenever they can and want to”.
He went to go skate some ledges near his house he learned a couple of new grinds, he met some guy skating in the same ledges as him he was tall, big nose, bushy eyebrows, ponytail,and a bushy mustache “Austin thought maybe he can be a friend that I want” he reflected. “Hey sir wanna skate together sometime”, he asked the man.
“Sure little dude”, he replied.
“Cool bro do you live around here?” he asked.
  “Yeah I live right across the street my name Jacob”, he responded.
“Okay well I have to go later bro” he replied.
“Alright later little dude” he responded.
“Finally a new friend that skates”, he reflected on his way home”. when he got home he decided to take a nap because he was tired of skating for the whole day. “Ill do my homework when and if I wake up” he stated.

Chapter 3

He didn’t wake up till the next day, so he never did his homework or anything he was suppose to do the day before, he wasn’t feeling good, but that didn’t stop him from going to school. He started to feel better throughout the day, he saw Justin staring at him and he oh no something bad is going to happen I just know it by the way he staring at me.
He decided to stay as far away as possible from Justin, he went with John and told him about how Justin was staring at him during 4th period. John agreed with Austin and thought it would be smart to stay away from Justin. “Well I’ll talk to you later”, Austin declared.
Alright I’ll see you later, john replied. After lunch he went directly to class, his final classes went by slowly because he couldn’t stop thinking about what Justin was up to, he knew it was something bad he was thinking about the possibilities of what Justin was gonna do to him. After school he saw justin and before Justin noticed he was there he Austin left fast. “Skateing will get my mind off things I’m gonna go skate some stairs or ledges or something”, he reflected. He thought about calling John to skate but he knew john can’t skate the stuff he skates, he thought john would just hold him back from skating bigger stuff when john wouldn’t be able to.
  “Well I guess i’m just gonna skate alone for today maybe next time I’ll call John and ask him if he wants go”, he reflected. Grind after grind he thought he was getting more comfortable to skateing, he thinks he can be able to get sponsored by a local skate shop where he buys all of his skate gear he decided to start telling John to record him so he can start make a sponsor me tape, he thought he was good enough but he wasn’t 100 percent sure he would get sponsored.
John went to Austin’s house with a camera that Austin told him to bring, Austin told John about why he wanted him to bring the camera, John thought it would be a good idea to try and make the video to help a friend out, after they were done talking about it they left to get some footage for the video they were thinking about recording on one day then editing the next day as soon as it got dark they left to their houses.
Austin felt good about the footage he got that day he thought with some good editing it would be even better, john started to edit most of the footage. “I believe I will get sponsored by a local shop the tricks I do are difficult and it takes a lot of time to learn them Austin was very confident with himself.
“Well time to go shower and off to bed tomorrow better be ready for tomorrow we have to edit” he said in his mind. “Hey mom I’m gonna go to my friends house after school today alright”, he stated
“Ok baby call me after school to tell me how long you’re gonna be there”, she responded.
“Alright bye mom I love you”, he said.
“love you to honey, have a good day”, she responded.
“Off to school now”, he reflected as he walked out the door with his backpack and skateboard. He was feeling happy about editing the video until he saw Justin in the front entrance of the school but he thought “whatever today must a good day I get to edit all of my footage and record more tomorrow I just hope Justin doesn’t ruin my day or get my legs injured”, he saw john and decided to talk to him about the footage they agreed that they would edit it after school together at Johns house unless they still wanted to film more, John didn’t really care what they did one way or another he still had to help Austin.
Austin thought he should invite jacob to do a little skate sesh instead of editing for the day, they went to Jacobs house and found him there they asked if he wanted to go skate, he said yeah as long as it’s not to big or crazy kind of stuff that pro skaters do but then again not to small.
“You know I used to be sponsored little dude’s”, Jacob stated.
“Was it hard to get sponsored?” Austin inquired.
“It was somewhat easy as long as you did crazy stuff”, Jacob responded.
“Great thats exactly what I’m trying to do and exactly what I’m doing”, Austin responded with a smile on his face, so they just left and started skating john filmed both of them when he was only suppose to film Austin, Austin didn’t care but he wanted to have more footage of himself for the sponsor me tape he was making.
Jacob was skating better than Austin, Austin thought that he wouldn’t look like if he skates good if he skates with someone that is better than him. Austin thought maybe Jacob would get the sponsor instead of him. John stopped recording Jacob because he knew that the footage was mainly suppose to be about Austin, so he just started recording Austin more than Jacob.
When it got dark Jacob left them and went home, Austin went with john to his house to edit the video, Austin didn’t know much about editing footage but he knew that john was, so he just saw and helped john do some stuff to the footage. When it got late Austin left and went to his house to get some rest, he was feeling a little tired, so he laid down and went to sleep.
He was thinking about doing bigger stuff, but he didn’t know if it would be safe for him he thought maybe he would get injured and never skate again.He thought that if he were to get sponsored he would have to try harder and do stuff he wouldn’t normally do.
he decided to stop thinking about it and went to sleep. The next day he got up early it was saturday so he decided to go out and have an early skate sesh he was thinking about calling John and telling him to record but he felt like if John would be sleeping at this time. You know skateing really can be difficult especially when you feel insecure about trying gnarly stuff like the pros.

Chapter 4         
Skateing early in the morning wasnt his thing he thought it might have something to do with him feeling a little bit tired. He was failing to land most of the tricks he already knew how to do and land on, so he went back home and went to sleep for a little while. When he got up he left once more to go skate this time he was landing trick after trick.
He went to the skatepark and met some new friends there, he skated with all of them some of them were better than him. Some of them weren’t, he was just glad that he could skate with a whole crew that skates at the same or at a better level than him. He was thinking about skating with them more often whenever he would be able to.
He thought he could get better at skating if he skated with people that are better than him maybe learning something from them. He started to roam around the whole skatepark. He saw many different people skating all around he started to skate the ramps and he felt good about skating ramps when other people around him looked like if they were uncomfortable.
He saw little kids that were better than him they weren’t scared to try the big pools , Austin thought back from when he was a little he kid he would alway be scared to try anything. He felt proud that those little kids weren’t scared like he used to be. They had protective gear on because there parents cared for them and didn’t want them to get hurt.
He stopped to think “maybe I should get some gear it would help alot when I fall but I dont want to spend money on that so if I fall then I fall whatever”. I’m gonna leave to skate somewhere else he told his friends that he met, soon after he left.
He started looking around for skate spots, he was looking all over eventually he found a ledge he started to skate it, he fell a couple of times, after a little while he got bored again and left to downtown where most of the skater went to skate street. He found stairs and gaps all around it was much easier to find spots around downtown he didn’t get bored at all it was perfect for him almost anywhere he went in downtown.
He kept thinking about calling John but he didn’t want to bother him just to tell him to come all the way to downtown. “Next time I come and skate I will definitely bring john to get some footage”, Austin reflected. After he was done skating he went home and he went straight to the fridge and made a big sandwich and grabbed a cup full of juice, he went to his room where he ate his sandwich while he watched the tv.
He took a short nap after he finished eating, when he woke up he was too lazy to do anything so he just went back to sleep for the rest of the day. the next day he thought about going to skate downtown again but then he stood up and his legs were sore, so he couldn’t do much if he wanted to skate so he decided to stay home and some homework and play video games. The day went by quick, but boring for Austin.
John called him and asked him if he wanted to go recording today, but Austin had to say no because of his sore legs. He felt bad about not being able to skate on sunday he really wanted to get some footage. He took some pain pills so he could start feeling better faster. he was feeling bored and had nothing to do so he just went to sleep. The next day he went to school his leg was still hurting a little but it wasn’t as bad as the day before.
Justin heard Austin talking to John about his injured legs, Justin was just staring at Austin in the morning without letting him notice. Austin was just thinking about the pain he was feeling when he walked, he was just glad that it was getting better every hour. He left to class and sat down as soon as he got there.
He wasn’t feeling good, he was just sitting down and relaxing not using his leg for anything. He was talking to John about the video asking him if he did any editing to it over the weekend, John replied with a yes and told him that he was almost with all of it. Austin was glad to hear that, and thought maybe later this week he can get more footage after his leg healed.
I think I may have to practice a little bit after my leg gets healed I don’t know if I’m gonna be able to do everything first try like how I was able to before my leg got injured. Austin figured it would get healed soon so he wasn’t to worried about his leg.