Finally A Better Life | Teen Ink

Finally A Better Life

By Ashley Arnoult, Jonesboro, Arkansas
Ashley Arnoult, Jonesboro, Arkansas

Author's note:

I am a senior attending Jonesboro High School. I am involved in an elective, creative writing. This was an assisgment for the class, and I really enjoyed writing this short story. 

I wake up this morning and open my eyes. I’m in the same, boring, small bedroom again.  I always thought a master bedroom should be bigger, like fancier.  This is just so normal.  I really wish it was more elaborate.  At least it has two closets, one for me, one for my wife. I’ve been married to Shelly for eight years now.  This is our first house. It’s way too small, but it will do for now.  At least the bed is big enough for my six year old daughter, Kinley, to stay with us if she wants to.
“Dan! Come and eat your cereal! You still have to shower before work and you don’t need to be late again,” screamed Shelly. She’s calling me from the kitchen.  I sit at the table and she pours my cereal and milk. 
“Shelly, enough milk. Are you trying to drown me,” I ask?
“Sorry, dear. Kinley, come and get your oatmeal.”
Kinley sits down and starts eating.
“Dad,  are you going to come watch me in the ballet recital tonight,?” She asked.
“Oh. I may have to work late,  Kinley.”
“But Dad, we have practiced so much and I even get to wear a pink tutu! PLEASE,” she pleads.
“Dan, you can’t miss this.  She’s worked so hard,” says Shelly.
“Oh well, all right. I’ll be home by six,” I answer.
“YAY,” screams Kinley as she jumps up and runs outside to catch the bus.  Shelly walks up to the table. 
“Now Dan, don’t buy any lottery tickets on your way to work. You’ve never won before and you’re not going to win now. You’re wasting money and we can’t afford all this,” she insists.
“Whatever you say, honey. You’re the boss.” I said back.
She rolls her eyes and walks off. 
I take a quick shower and jump in the van.  There’s the convenient store. I have to stop. I run in and buy five quick pick tickets and take back off for work.  Maybe this will be the day my life will change.  Maybe all my dreams will come true.  I can move out of my small white house into a mansion.  I can dump this old beat up van for a sports car.  I can quit fishing in a creek and start deep sea fishing in Mexico.  Maybe I can have enough money to become a WINNER!”  I make it to my lousy bread delivery job, a few minutes late, and hear another lecture.
“Dan, I told you that if you were late again, I would fire you.  Luckily, I’m not quite ready to let you go yet,” yelled my boss.
“Oh, Mike. I had a family emergency,” I reply.
“Right, just deliver over on Johnson first, then go on to Hanover next.”
“Fine,” I reply and I drive a few hours, eat a light lunch, and drive a few more hours.  I deliver bread for a living. It’s so boring.  I need a different job, or better yet, no job.  I don’t want to work.  It’s such a waste of time.  Finally, I pull up right before six and put up the truck. As usual, I’m the last person to leave. I’m always Mr. Dependable and Mr. Reliable. It’s getting on my freaking nerves.  I get home, grab a sandwich, and it’s off to the recital.  Great, I’m sitting right beside Charles Walker, one of the richest men in town.  His daughter and Kinley are in the same dance class.  I wish I had his money.  Then I’d have his respect.  I’d do anything to have his lifestyle.  Lobster, cavier, non stop vacations, what a life. 
“BRAVO,  BRAVO,” yelled Shelly after Kinley took her final bow.  “Now Dan, aren’t you glad you came?  I know you are.”
“Oh, sure I am.  I’m so……….. glad,” I answer.
We run and get ice cream and arrive back at the house just in time for the 10 o’clock  news.  I grab my tickets and sit on the couch.  “DAN! What are you doing? Are those lottery tickets? I told you this morning that you need to put a stop to this nonsense.”
“All I need to do is win one time,  Shelly. What don’t you get? I could be rich forever,” “Whatever Dan!!!” and she storms back into the kitchen.  Just then, Kinley comes running in.
“ Dad, did you like my dance recital?”
“Hush Kinley! Daddy is doing something very important right now. Go and talk to your mother or go to bed or something.” 
“But Dad, I just……..”
“Now, Kinley. I’ve already wasted enough time tonight,  go.”
“ Oh, well………all right,” and she walks back to the kitchen.
“Now it’s time for tonights drawing. Here are the lucky numbers:  2, 3, 16, 24, 38 and the power ball is 7. I stare at the tickets. 2, 5, not that one.  What about this one?  2, 3, 16, wait……… what is…….. it really happening.  24, 38 and what is the powerball?  Could it be?  It is!  It’s 7. “I can’t believe it. It’s happening. I’m rich. I’m rich. I’ve been waiting all my freaking life for this. I’m rich!!!” I yell.  Shelly comes back in the room.  “Dan what are you yelling about?”
“Shelly I won! I’m rich!”  She grabs the tickets and looks up. 
“I can’t believe it, Dan.  You won. You won.
“Give me back my ticket!! Its mine! I’m rich. I won 300 million dollars.  If I would have listened to you, I would have never won!!”  
The next day , I collect my 300 million., and quit my job. I sell the house within a week and buy  a mansion on six acres in Greenvalley Hills. It just happens to be the same subdivision that Charles Walker lives in.  I bet he’ll be surprised to see me living here.  As the movers arrive to take what little, descent furniture we do have, Shelly starts crying.
“Dan, I don’t want to move. I’ll miss the neighbors. I’ll miss my garden.”
“Your garden?  Are you serious?  Don’t be ridiculous.  You don’t need a garden.  We can buy any food we want now.  Don’t keep wasting your time out in the yard.  We will have yard keepers, house keepers, personal shoppers and whatever else I want”.
“Dan, I like to garden.”
“For Pete’s sakes, Shelly, just stop it.  Find another hobby,” I state.
“Go find some new interest, make some better friends, go shop or whatever.  You need new clothes anyway.  We have a membership at the country club now.  Go and mingle with those women, like Charles Walker’s wife.  Maybe she can give you a clue about how to life this new lifestyle.
” Dan. I don’t even know if I know who are you anymore.”
“Well, I’ll tell you who I am. I’m the man you married who is now one of the richest men in America. You need to learn to keep up. “
With the help of an interior designer, and quite a bit or cash, we settle in quite nicely.  I sell the van and buy a Lamborghini. I get Shelly a Mercedes convertible and Kinley  a  white tea cup poodle.  The next day, Kinley walks up to me while I am  watching television.  “Dad, where’s the leash?  I want to walk the dog,” she ask?  “Kinley, we have helpers who can walk the dog. You don’t need to do that. Now, go find something else to do,” I say.   Kinley looks disappointed as she goes upstairs.  Oh well, she’ll be fine.  Days go by and everything seems to be going smoothly until I got an itch one day. “Shelly, I’ve made arrangement to take a long fishing trip with a few of my buddies in Mexico. We all deserve it.  I’ve chartered a boat and I’ll be gone for three months.”
“What? Are you serious? You can’t leave us for three months. Are we not invited,” she ask?
“Shelly, of course not.  This is my dream.  This is a bro trip. You stay here with Kinley and do girl things.”
“This money has changed you. I don’t know you, Dan. I don’t understand why you have become so selfish.”
“ Of course I’m selfish. It’s fine to be selfish.  I’ve changed for the better.  I have everything I’ve ever wanted and now I’m taking the trip of a lifetime.”
I leave the next day and head straight to the boat.   My friends from the club meet me there, along with the Captain and a few other sailors. For three months, we eat, drink, fish, sing, and entertain ourselves all day and all night long.  When I finally get home and pull up in the drive way, I notice that Shelly’s car is not there. Maybe she parked it in the garage,” I thought.  I look in the garage, but it’s not there either.  I open the door and notice that the giant house is completely quiet. There is a note on the fireplace”

Dear Dan,
     You are not the person I married. I am filing for a divorce.  Kinley and I are moving to Texas to start a new life.  I hope you had fun on your trip.  -Shelly

I stare at the letter and then throw it in the trash.  This is totally her loss.  I guess I’ll have to give her half of my fortune, but there’s nothing I can do about that.  I don’t want to have a wife anyway. I want to live alone in my dream house.  I’ll go to bed in my giant master bedroom that I deserve and wake up with people serving me breakfast in bed.  I’ve waited for this moment for my whole life.  I don’t need a family. I don’t need to be around my daughter. I have plenty of people who work for me if I want to be around someone.  I certainly don’t need a wife.  I have all the company in the world now.  I have the finest that money can buy.  This is the life.  I have everything I need.  I don’t need anything else, especially………….love.

l
“Hello, hello Shelly? Shelly are you there?  Hello?”
“Dan, I have nothing to say to you. I told you, you’re not the person I thought you were. It’s over. I mean it, Dan,” she says.
“Shelley honey, listen, I’ve changed. I’m not the same man.” I stuttered.
“Dan, the money has ruined you.  I mean, you may have  been a jerk all along. I’m not really sure. Actually, I don’t know if I ever knew you.  You’re just not very nice, Dan. I don’t even want Kinley to be around you anymore.  I don’t know if you ever really cared about us,” she said.
“Shelly, you’re just judging me because I’m rich.  You’re rich, too. You got half my money. You’re rich because of me. I mean…”
“Good bye, Dan,”she snapped back. CLICK
I sit and stare at the phone. Is she really worth all this?  I can have any woman I want. I should at least have one who appreciates me. Sure, she has Kinley, my only child.  Now they both live in Texas.  I can’t see my daughter now.  Alright, so I was poor and I had a family. Now I’m rich and I don’t see them anymore.  Am I sorry about it. I mean, Am I?  No, no I’m not sorry. If Shelly is that ignorant and she wants to break up the family over money, then I guess she can do that. 
Seriously, who does she think she is?  I’m finally rich and now she leaves me, all because I went to Mexico on my dream trip.  She doesn’t care if I enjoy myself, all she cares about is herself.  I’m not wasting any more of my day thinking about her. I guess Kinley can just grow up without a father.  It will be her loss. It’s all Shelley’s fault.  I’m beginning to think she was happier when we were poor.  How ridiculous.  I’m starting to get hungry. Time to take the Lamborghini for a ride to the finest restaurant in Beverly Hills. I’m having the biggest steak they have
I pull up and the valot comes to the car.
“Nice ride, man,” he said.
“Thanks, I know. Wipe your feet off before you get in. Park it around the back,” I replied.
“Oh, yea sure,” he hesitated.
I walk in and have a sit in the private area in the back. Finally, time to order.
“I’ll have the finest bottle of burgundy wine you have and a huge, juicy steak.  Go on and bring me a few crab claws right now” I demand to the waiter.
“Yes, sir,” he replied.
I can’t believe Shelly is not sitting here with me, enjoying this moment.  She’s such a fool.  They don’t have any food this great in Texas.  Kinley won’t even know what a steak is if she stays there.  I pay the tab and start to get up.  I notice a man and woman sitting at a table. He yells at her and gets up. She yells back at him and he storms out.  She turns and looks at me. A smile is suddenly on her face. She walks over to me.
“Well, hello there. I don’t believe I’ve seen you here before. I’m Elaine, Elaine Holloman.”
“Oh, well I’m Dan. I  don’t come in here much.  Actually, I’ve only just started coming here,” I said.
“Did you say your name is Dan? I think I remember seeing you on television a few months ago. It was something big! Oh yes, did you win the lottery?” She asked. Why yes, yes I did. My wife didn’t want me to even buy the tickets, but I didn’t listen. I said back.
You’re wife, so you’re married? She asked.
Oh, well my ex wife, the divorce just became final.  She moved to Texas with my daugher. I told her.
“Oh, so you have no one here?” “Not necessarily.” I say.
“Oh, do you mind if I have a seat?  I noticed you haven’t had dessert.  Maybe we could order something. Something really rich. HA, HA, HA!” She jokes.
“Oh, well fine with me. I was thinking about dessert anyway.”
We both eat a delicious chocolate mousse and creme brulet.  She’s actually attractive, very attractive. She’s much better looking than Shelly.  I know it wouldn’t take long before someone appreciated me.  Shelly will be so sorry she lost me. I know she will.
“So, Dan. Where do you live?  I was thinking you could give me a tour and possibly a nightcap.” She insisted,
“A nightcap?  Oh, you want to come to my place.  Well, I don’t have a problem with that.” I agreed.
“Great, my date left me here, so we can just go in your car.”
“Fine with me. Whatever you say.”
We walk outside and wait for the valet to bring the car back around
“Dan, you drive a Lamborghini?  That’s so hot. I love it!” She exclaimed. “Well, thanks. I’m glad you like it.” I said with a smile.
“I love it.  I absolutely love it.  I wish I had it!”
“Oh, everyone wishes they had it, but they don’t.  I’m the one who won the lottery. It’s all mine.”
“Oh, well  I love it Dan.”
“Thanks sweets.” I reply.
We pull up the mansion and I park the car.
“Wow, babe. You live here, like all alone?  No one else lives here?” She asks.
“Oh, well I have a few housekeepers and yard men.  They don’t live here, though.”
“Well, you have the whole place to yourself. Don’t you get lonely?”
“ Me lonely?  I have people around me all the time.  No, I don’t get lonely. I never get lonely.”  I cut her off.
We both walk in and I show her around. We walk around all three levels and end up in the back yard.
“Oh, Dan. I’d love to live here. You are so lucky.  I love the master suite and the jacuzzi bath the most. This pool is to die for and I absolutely love the landscaping out here. Dan, it’s just gorgeous.  I’m obsessed.” She explains.
“Oh, well. Finally, I’m glad to know someone who appreciates my lifestyle. Shelly sure didn’t.”
A few months later, I’m still dating Elaine and she spends most of her time out by the pool on the phone.  I must have gotten her a hundred bikini’s by now, and she looks good in all of them.  I’m really enjoying the two of us, without any kids.  Elaine has a son, but he lives with his father. No worries there.  I’ll probably never even meet him.
“Dan, could you go in and bring me a glass of lemonade?  I’m so thirsty out here.” She pleaded.
“Sure. Whatever you want darling.”
I’m starting to get a little tired of Elaine asking me for something every five or ten minutes. She does look good driving that Mercedes though.
“Thanks, honey. Oh and can you go and get me some of that yummy pineapple I got at the market?  That would be awesome.”
“All right, Elaine.” I mumbled.
I turn to go in and realize that I left my phone on one of the tables.  I see Elaine on her cell phone. I move in closer to over hear her conversation.
“No, Mike. I told you, this guy is a total loser.  He’s got me the car, tons of clothes, jewelry, and I’m sure if I can just stick it out, I can get a major rock here.”  I mean a diamond worth thousands of dollars, maybe even half a million.  HA, HA, HA, he’s just such an idiot.  I can’t believe he thinks I actually care about him. Mike, you’re the only one for me.  As soon as I get the rock, I’m out of here. Believe me, I can’t take much more of…”Oh, Dan?” “Elaine, I just heard”, I said.
“How long have you been standing there?” She cries.
“You were leaving?  Is that what you were doing?  I’m a loser, is that what you said?
“Oh, Dan, I..” “Elaine, you’re the idiot.  You could have had an easy life with me, but this Mike guy that’s who you want.  He probably doesn’t have half the money I have. You are such a fool.  You could have had me, a rich man. Now you have nothing. I’m glad I overheard this conversation. Now I can see you didn’t care anything about me.”
“Care about you?  No, I didn’t care about you. You’re right, I’m with Mike.  I was just using you.”
“Bye, Elaine.”
She gets her things and heads out to her car.
“Oh well, at least I get to keep the car. Bye, idiot.”
She drives off and I go shut the door.

“Hello, hello Shelley, are you there?” I asked.
“Dan, is that you again?  Dan you need to get calling me.  I thought you had a girlfriend or something.”
“Oh, Elaine was here a lot, but she’s gone.” I explained.
“Oh, she’s gone. So now you’re alone again. Oh well, you can have lunch with your housekeepers.” Shelly says back.
“Shelly, come on. I was thinking, maybe I could come see you. I miss Kinley.” I begged.
“Really, you miss your daughter. Well, she doesn’t miss you. She doesn’t even know you. Actually, I’ve starting dating something. He’s very nice and it’s serious.” She said.
“Serious?  It’s serious?  What does that mean, Shelly?”
“I don’t know, Dan. What do you care?  He really likes me and, he helps me outside with my garden.  He likes my garden. He likes Kinley, too.”
Your garden?  You have half my money and you still have a garden?  Shelly, that’s ridiculous.”

“Goodbye, Dan.” She says.
I hang up the phone. She has half my money and she still works out in the yard?  Why in the world would she do that?  How embarrassing.  She’s acting like she’s poor. I guess she’s still having trouble adjusting to a better life after all.