Faith for the Iris | Teen Ink

Faith for the Iris

By MysticMusic ELITE, Waterloo, Other
MysticMusic ELITE, Waterloo, Other

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” -Mae West
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Summary:

An encounter is all it takes to spark a change in someone, as Jean finds out. As far as she's concerned, she has to work hard to make up for her parents, but that speaks nothing for her happiness. Surviving through the loneliness in her life, she meets a boy who claims to be a tree spirit and stole her drawing. For the first time in years, she finds herself having emotions she never had before: anger, irritation, astonishment, and hope.

Mysteries surround him as she tries to prove him wrong, and she discoveres that he is not all that he says he is. Reality blurs as she finds it harder and harder to not believe he is a tree spirit. Everything stands on his side, as the ultimate evidence is proved and she can no longer deny it. He just gets more and more mysterious. This is the story of a girl and a boy in which nothing is certain.

Amy D.

Faith for the Iris

MysticMusic ELITE, Waterloo, Other

Okay, thank you so much for the insightful feedback! I'll be sure to keep those in mind when writing my next story!

Sharkbait SILVER, Grant Park, Illinois

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank

This is a pretty good book. I loved the creativity, how trees have spirits, too. Make sure, though, that you keep one tense. (in the beginning it was present tense but after that it was past tense, a little confusing) The whole 'terrible parent' thing was a little vague. Why didn't they buy groceries? I feel like child services would have come if that was the case. Maybe specify why they were such terrible parents a little more? Mostly it was written how the character was wallowing in self pity instead of bringing the reader to understand the pain she was going through. All in all, this book has a brilliant story behind it, with just a little tweaking here and there could be publish worthy. Good luck and keep writing!