What They Think: Part 1 | Teen Ink

What They Think: Part 1

By Deena B BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
Deena B BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Another day of my life. Come home from school tired of the whole day having that popular group bully you about  your differences. Because you're smarter than them, because you always have a book in your hand, because your look ugly. Because they think you're a nerd, a geek, a smart alec, The weird person who doesn't have a life. Well, all they care about is you know, the popular girl things, don't really know what they are, guess I  judge them, but isn't that what they do to me? Well anyway, after school, I get to come home, look out the window, get  a snack and keep on reading my novels. I admit it. I am different. I just like to read a lot?Why does that bother them though? Why does it bother me about what they think? Why do I care? Well thats just me. My life. Not much. Sky Aurora Manerfest. 12 years old. 6th grade. 1 Best friend. Adoptive Family. School Geek. Living in Seattle, Washington.

Since I was little I have not been able to stand up for my self. Too scared I guess, I like others to think Im nice. Obviously that didn't work out for me. I thought I had to be nice, I wanted people to have faith in themselves, have people know that they have faith for them. My whole life I've wanted to be treated the way I treated others. Although it never happened to me, and still hasn't. I wanted to teach people that. I gave up on life, I sit and dream I could be like the other people I guess. Even though I know inside, I don't want to be anyone else, other than me.

My real mother was named Aurora, I never found out who my father was because my adoptive house, said my mother never mentioned or wrote down his name. Its always been a mystery to me. Another mystery in my life is what happened to my mom. One week after she dropped me in the adoptive home, they reported a woman named Aurora Manerfest had been reported missing, after 13 years they still have not found her. I feel hope that there will be a day will meet her. I would ask her why she left me. I would ask her what her job was, or if she was smart like me. I would ask her about my father. All I know is I was left in the adoptive home 3 months after I was born.

My Adoptive father died when I was 7 years old. My father, I loved him. He treated me like I was his real kid, My mother, she would always put me last. She cared about her kids more than anyone. Still does. Me? I'm a piece of trash to her. Although, shes kind of my only hope now. The only one i can rely on. So I give most of my love to her. I mean she does still feed me, and will be there for me when she wants too. The rest of my life is given to my older sisters Crystal, and Avangelene, and my youngest sister Yasmine. My older sisters care about me and help me out all the time. I know i can count on them. They give me advice on  being “popular” but i tell them I want to be me. I love them alot. My younger sister Yasmine, were like best friends. We do homework together, walk from and to school together, and were always there for each other. Were only 1 year apart.  I love her alot aswell, This is my family. I shouldn't be complaining too much because my siblings are pretty great, and i'm very lucky. My mom might not be a charm, but i also still love her too.

The one question I've always asked myself  is what I'm going to be when I grow up. I've always studied wanting to be a heart surgeon. Growing up though, I've been wanting my self to grow up and become a detective, So i can find my mom, and help others who are in my situation. I dont know if thats a smart move, take all my education and become a, auh, a detective?!?  Thats why I wonder, can I become a 13 year old detective? Is it even possible?! I am almost 14… A 14 year old detective?! Would my mom and siblings even allow me to leave home at night to go look for my mom?

Other than my education, and my eagerness to look for my mother. I have a crazy imagination, I read books about everything, When I read those books, I think in my mind if I was the character. What if I was Tarzan? I imagine swinging from one vine to the other, being friends with jungle creatures. Or what if I was able to talk to the creatures coming from the comic books, having them come out of the book, being able to magically make them fly out in a tunnel from my book, having them in my room, alive, talking. Telling me even though people don't like me, they do? Or what if I was Alice going into that wonderland? It would be a dream come true! I imagine, but i do believe its possible, isn't anything possible? Yeah, I might sound crazy but I really do believe that ANYTHING is possible.

I wake up from bed, heading to the kitchen to say good morning, as usual, I find my mom rushing to make us breakfast. Flipping bacon, scrambling eggs and making fresh squeezed orange juice. While Avangelene helps with cutting the bread and making Yasmine and I lunches.  Avangelene is like the good girl at our house. She wakes up 2 hours before all of us, she showers, then blow dries and straightens her hair. Then she does her nails, and she put on all her moisturizers, brushes her hair and teeth, then lastly she does her makeup. My sister is the popular girl at her school. She's also smart, but pretty and she wears the cutest outfits! Crystal is also popular at her school, but not in the same way Avangelene is. Shes popular in a lazy way. Yasmin, shes kind of falling into another Crystal. I guess I just don't really fall in anyone at this house. After I said good morning to everyone I head back to my room. I go to the restroom, take a shower, dry my hair, moisturize,  put on a blue big sweatshirt, blue and white striped baggy pants, put on small white bow earrings and wore Avangelenes old blue tennis shoes. . I get my backpack, knock on Yasmines door, she comes out and we head to school. Our walk to school is about 10 minutes. We get there quick, we find our lockers. I wave and give Yasmine a hug. I was heading to my locker until I see the popular girls coming, I run into the bathroom and hide in one of the stalls. Until the popular girls come in. I began to shiver, “Did they see me?” I peek through I  little hole in the stall. There they are. Kaylee putting on her mascara. Lilly fixing her hair. Mya putting on lip gloss. Nicky brushing her teeth, and Samantha fixing her necklace. Of Course all of them had cute outfits, but it kind of had looked like what I was wearing. I listen to them talking. Kaylee was telling them she was having a slumber party for all the girls in 8th grade. It hit me, was Kaylee Mckoy going to ask me to go to her party? She did say all the girls in 8tth grade didn't she? I wake up from day dreaming, I laugh and tell myself shes Kaylee Mckoy, I wouldn't even want to go to a party of hers. She would never invite me anyway.
I hear the first bell ring, the populars had left so I ran out going as fast as I can to my locker. Meeting my best friend Lexi, she also loves to read! Maybe thats why we get along so well. She asks me why I'm so late. I quickly say the word long story, then I pick up my binder and we ran to class. We had got to our seats the minute the bell rang, I breathed with relief. Got out my homework, Then told Lexi about the bathroom story. Lexi was once friend with the populars, She told me about the time she got invited to Nicky's slumber party and how they got in a fight. “ If you want my advice, Even if Kaylee Mckoy invited you, You should say you can't.” Lexi said. I told her I wasn't even interested in a million years and we both ended up laughing. After 3 long hours of learning, Lexi and I got our books and headed to lunch. We go sit at our table until I see the popular come. I put my eyes in the book acting like I didn't notice them. They come to our table and sit down. I was very confused… There is Nicky and the rest of the girls glaring at Lexi. She glares back. I am looking and Kaylee says “Hey, Your the book worm huh? I like your outfit. Haha.  Here.” I am bouncing with excitement in my head but I dont show it. I slowly take the envelope say and thanks. She nods. They all laugh and leave. When they leave our site. Lexi yells a quiet yell, “ They didn't even invite me! Now for sure you're not going Sky! Haha.” I laugh back, acting like I was totally not interested even though I really was! I see Yasmin staring at me, she smiles and puts a thumbs up, I smile back. 
When I got home all I could think of Kaylee Mckoys party and what Lexi said. Inside I knew I really, really wanted to go, but I couldn't stop thinking what if Lexi gets mad at me?! What should I do.. Im sure Lexi would understand. Wouldnt she? I called her to tell her I was going to the party, but she never answered the phone. So I decided to go to the party, and just tell her tomorrow how it turned out.
The party was at 6:00 that night so I started getting ready at 4:30. I went to Avangelene’s room and asked her if maybe she could do my makeup. She jumped with excitement, got out her makeup kit, pushed me in a chair and began the magic. After she finished, I looked in the mirror and my jaw dropped. Is this what  it feels like to be popular? I hugged Avangelene, and said thanks. She pushed me back in the chair and said that she has to finish up her magic. She got out the straightener and her highlight markers. She spent  1 hour on my hair, I was surprised, after my hair was beautiful and straight, up to my hips! She began to give me blonde tips at the bottom of my long light brown hair. I looked in the mirror and I never thought it was possible for little book nerd Sky Aurora Manerfest to ever look so beautiful! Avangelene grabbed me a cute little brown and blue floral dress that came with a belt and a small brown leather jacket, she gave me small brown ankle boots, and told me to got try the outfit on. The minute I came out of the closet I fell in love with my self. I looked beautiful! I ran and began to hug Avangelene, only repeating the word thank you, thank you, thank you!!! She kissed me on the cheek and told me I look gorgeous. She handed me he cute pair of PJ’s and my sleeping bag and she drove me to Kaylee’s house. When she dropped me off it was exactly 6:00. She gave me another hug, and said have fun. I got out of the car, and she drove away.
I took a deep breath and walked to her porch. I looked up and I was amazed on how big her house was. I rang the doorbell and Samantha opened the door right away. She smiled, and said “Aww.. Book worm you look so pretty. It might make everyone forget your lameness. Good thinking.” She laughed until Kaylee had came, well you look gorgeous, she smiled at Samantha and they both laughed. Come in, Kaylee said. Then I think to myself, was coming here a good idea? Cant go back now. I walk in and follow them to the living room, Where are the 8th grade girls?! I just find Kayless gang. I feel myself getting red. I sit on the couch until I look at someone coming down the stairs. Wait a second, Is that my BFF Lexi?!? I feel hate in my heart. She asked me not to come, because she wasn't invited but it end up she didn't even call me and tell me she was going!!! Was this a set up or something? I glare at Lexi and she laughs back. What? Whats going on? Until I hear Mya saying my name. “Hey, Sky right? I love your outfit and your hair, you look beautiful!” She then has a weird look on her face. I smile and say thanks. I tell her she looks pretty too. I feel some hatred going away in my heart. Mya seems nice. Kaylee tells everyone the plan for the slumber party. “Hi everyone and welcome to Kaylee Mckoy’s 2015 slumber party! Thank you everyone for coming. The first activity for today is makeup! We should all start on Sky because shes never been to one of our slumber parties.” I ask them if they wanted me to go wash of the makeup I already had on, they all scream no!! I said ok, and they began my makeup.
In the middle of the night I wake up feeling very dizzy, I find myself sleeping on the ground, and everyone else sleeping on the couches. Very carefully I go to to the bathroom. I open the door thinking it was the toilet, It ends up to be the kitchen door,  I was about to close the door and go find the bathroom until I find an empty cup labeled Sky, my name! I walk over to the cup and I found I pack of sleeping pills right next to it. I don't remember drinking this. In fact I don't remember anything about last night. Did they drug me?!? I close the door, in fear.
As mad as I was at Lexi, maybe I should have never come to this party! Or maybe it was all just a set up with all the girls glaring at Lexi at lunch. I head to the bathroom and I want to scream. My hair was cut to my ears and I had lipstick all over my cheeks and eyes. I also had the word loser written on my head and lots of fake eyelashes glued to my face. I begin to feel tears in my eyes. I look down and my dress is all cut up. I don't know hat do but I'm definetly not going to let this slide. These girls are bullies, and I'm going to stop this.
Someone opens the bathroom door. I feel scared, It was Mya. She comes in crying. She says “ Sky, I’m so sorry, I swear. I asked asked them not do it, I really did! They just didn't listen! Im sorry! I should have did something, I should have!” She cries harder and hugs me. She tells me what happened at night “ After you agreed to have them do your makeup, Kaylee gave you a cup of water and Samantha forced you to drink it, but in that cup of water they had drugged it with sleeping pills. You drank it all, then you fell asleep right away. Kaylee and Samantha took scissors they cut your dress and your hair. Lexi and Nicky put permanent lipstick on your cheeks and used permanent glue to glue on fake eyelashes on your chin. They thought it would look like a beard. Lily then used permanent marker and wrote loser on your head, They were all laughing. Monsters. We saw you peeking at us through the bathroom crack two days ago. So Kaylee had made the whole slumber party thing, She said all the eighth grade girls are invited so you'd know to come, she also went and made a plan with Lexi. Lexi was unsure at first, but she then agreed. I'm really sorry, Lets go talk to her parents up stairs before we wake anyone up.” I give her hug and I say thank you. What is my family going to say about this! They ruined me. My first time looking pretty and the ruined me. Tears come again. Mya takes my hand and we go to Kaylee's parents.
When we reach there room, Mya quietly knocks on the door, Kaylee’s  mom opens it and Mya tells her everything. Kaylee’s mom can't stop saying sorry, and she gives me a big hug. She takes me to the bathroom and fixed up. She took everything off my face, which really hurt but I guess now my face looks normal again. She then cut my hair and fixes it, I might now have short hair but it actually looked pretty nice. She sews up my dress then hugs me again. She told Mya that she did the right thing. I went and changed into my PJ’s. Kaylee’s mom said we can call her Taylor or Mrs. Mckoy, She then hands Mya and I lipstick and markers, She gets scissors, Then we all got to give Kaylee a makeover.
After Kaylee looked completely hideous, Mrs. Mckoy whipped her with a belt and spanked her. She told us that Mr. Mckoy was on a business trip. So she slept in Kaylee’s bed and Mya and I got to sleep in her big, comfy bed. As sad as I was. Revenge felt good. Of Course this was not going to settle anything. I think I was mostly mad at Lexi. At least I made a new friend. Someone who isnt a total trader.
When we all woke Mrs. Mccoy got Mya and I breakfast bars and she drove us to my house. The minute we got in Crystal screamed. “SKY WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR HAIR!!!” Mya and I tell her what happened. Immediately Crystal gets up and drives full speed to Kaylee’s house. Mya and I laugh. We go to my room and we give each other REAL makeovers. At 5 pm Maya's mom came and picked her up. I thanked her for everything. She gave me a hug and she left.
The next day I met Mya at school. We were walking to my locker until Kaylee, Lilly, Samantha, Nicky and Lexi were passing by us. We both glared at them and the began to just laugh. Except for Lexi, who was staring at them ground with a frown on her face. Kaylee still had her makeover and her hair was cut. I walked up to her glaring. AS I reached her I laughed and said “nice face” . Mya laughed to and we walked away. We look back and Kaylee was running at me. As she reached me she punched me in my nose. My nose began to bleed. Mya punched Kaylee back and she fell on the ground. Mya and I ran to the bathroom. She gave me a tissue. We both began to cry.
After we calmed to down we walked to class. During class Mya and I got notes to go to the office, As we were walking we saw Mrs. Mckoy, My mom and Mya’s mom. We also saw Nicky, Kaylee, Samantha, Lilly and Lexi. Mya and I look at each other showing we were scared.
We went into the office and discussed what's been happening. After everyone was done talking the principal decided. Mya and I were suspended for 2 days. Kaylee was suspended for 4 days and the rest of the girls were suspended for 1 day.

The two days Mya and I were suspended we had a 2 night sleepover. So it wasn't that bad. The day we had to return to school we were very happy because we knew that we didn't have to go to school and see Kaylee.
Two days after I returned to school, I woke upon the third day and felt scared. Should I act sick? Today was the day that Kaylee Mckoy returns to school. What will she do to me? Revenge for sure. I just didn't know how to make it stop. I got up and called Mya right away. Every time I would type Mya’s number into the phone, I would remember how I used to run and dial Lexi’s numer. I thought she was my friend, but shes just a rude, untrustful jerk.
Mya is so lucky which is just making me unlucky. Mya woke up sick! Like really, real life, not even joking sick! So now I have to face Kaylee alone. Guess there is nothing to but hide from her. I ran and told Avangelene. She began to laugh. She gave me a hug and told me that if she messed with me, I have permission to bite her. We both began to laugh now. I head to school, terrified. I head and Kaylee smiles at me? She stops me and gives me a hug. She leaves. What? Im done. Done with life, done with school, done with everything. Im going to look for my mom and live with her. No matter what it takes. My birthday was tomorrow. So It will be perfect, Ill go missing on my birthday. i thought of all the times with my fake family. I was cared for, loved but always last.I felt a tear drop. Im, ..leaving.
After school that day I took all my belongings and stuffed them in my suitcase. I took my allowance for taxis and buses. Then walked over to my nightstand and took the picture of mya and I, While taking it out of my frame I found the picture of Lexi and I. Trader. I tore up the picture and threw it away. Then I got up and left my, blinking to not cry. My mom asked “ Where are you going this late Sky, go back to your room, and why are carrying a suitcase?!” Umm..”Well, Mya just sent me a text to go and sleepover. Of Course, if its okay with you..” Hoping She'll say yes.
I was in the bus driving to the first place that came up to my mind, Willow, Oregon. It was a long bus ride and took more money than I expected. I was scared. I never thought, where will I sleep? What will happen to me? Where will I go to look with so little money left? What will my family do? IT was dark and cold and I was all by myself. I hear a little growl behind me.. I turn around and I see a cougar. I breathe in shock. Maybe I truly am done with my life. I start to slowly back away.