Rise and Fall of Earl Simmons (DMX) | Teen Ink

Rise and Fall of Earl Simmons (DMX)

By Branden Tillery, New Castle, Delaware
Branden Tillery, New Castle, Delaware

Author's note:

That this is my first time actually publishing a piece of literature,but I've worked extremely hard on this.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

Dooot Dooot Dooot, as little Earl Simmons tries to get some rest on the couch for school tomorrow. He twists and turns and squirrels around on the couch trying to block out the noise.
      “You f*ing bastard I know you’ve been with her and she’s a tramp anyway,” yells Earl’s mom,talking to his father.
       “You just shut the hell up. I haven’t done anything but trying to get a job and take care of your punk ass and this punk ass boy.” screams Earl’s father,trying to hold his peace.

It’s the next morning and Earl Simmons has to wake up knowing that he barely got any rest because of all the constant gunshots and his parents arguing all night long.
         “Yo Earl wake the hell up you got school in 2 hours and you need as much schoolin as you can get” screamed his mom’s. Earl is scratching and covering his ears trying not to listen.
          “Ard mom I’m up” mumbles Earl. He hopped up off the couch and ran into the bathroom to wash up. Earl brushes  his teeth in a hurry and quickly gets  breakfast and like a breeze he left the house. He was on his way to his high school,stepping over bullets, bottles and loads of trash,when his homie Chris walked up to him.
         “What’s good bruh and yo are you going to that funkmaster flex concert this Saturday,” said Chris
          “Naww man I don’t think I’m going,” sighed Earl.
           “Bruh why not the concert goin be jumpin bruh and all the ladies gon be there and plus in the middle of the concert there’s gon be a rap battle and anyone can enter that and I know you got the bars”
As Chris stares at Earl with this excited look on his face.
            “That sound good,but I’m gonna have to pass”,said Earl, with his head down.
            “WHAT!!!!!” yelled Chris.”You got the hottest bars in this whole neighborhood,so why u acting like a b****”, Looking at Earl with his mouth dropped.
             “Look Negro I don’t like performing in front of a lot of people and plus what am I gonna gain from this anyway.”  
             Chris said excitingly, “dude it’s a 500 dollar prize for the MC that wins.” Earl turns to Chris with his eyes brightening up and gave him this crazed stare.
“Oh word,well then let’s go then cause I need me some money.”shouts Earl.After that Chris and Earl dapped up and they went on to school.

It’s Saturday night at the Funkmaster Flex concert,everyone is dancing recklessly,the girls are walking around with their short skirts on and their weaves and all the fella’s are decked out with their gold watches and baggy clothes. Earl and Chris are chilling with the boy’s and they spot a couple ladies and they bout to go spit that game to them.
   Chris says to Earl, “Yo bro you better go ham in this rap battle yo. I put 20 bucks on you so you better!”
“Bro chill” raising his voice at Chris.”I got this man,these bitches ain’t ready for my flow,” say’s Earl in a confident voice.
    Earl walks up to the stand and pumps up for the battle. His opponent walks up to the stand and gave Earl this intense stare.Their eyes locks like a old western standoff.Then a short,dark,troll looking girl came in between them,pulling them away from each other.She was introducing the both of them.The girl flipped a coin to see which one of them would go first. It was the other opponent who got to go first and his rap  name was MC Steelo.She gave the mic to MC Steelo and the Dj then drops the beat. MC Steelo started boppin his head up and down and then turns and looks Earl right in his eyes. He starts rapping and as his hot breath was pressing against Earl’s face,he starts dissing Earl and he starts speeding up in his raps and steps on Earl’s foot.
Now it’s Earl’s turn to rap and he’s mad as hell, he has this little smirk on his face as he snatches the mic from his opponent. He turns to the Dj and yell’s “drop that beat”and yells out “where my dogs at,” he begins rapping and get’s all up in MC Steelos face and grips his shirt and starts rapping in his face.Earl get’s the crowd welded up and everyone is jumping and vibing with him.
     At the end of his rap he yells “I’m like a T Rex and now you know don’t f*** with DMX.”
      After that bar the whole crowd goes crazy and starts jumping up and down and starts chanting “DMX,DMX,DMX,DMX,DMX”
      The announcer came and declares Earl the winner and as soon as the announcer said that all his boy’s and the crowd ran on stage and seizes him and they were dappin him up and patting him on his back and yelling in his ear.As he was walking off stage a man dressed in a three piece suit and sunglasses stopped Earl and started talking to him.

He say’s excitingly to Earl, “Yo brother that was f*ing hot,you got major talent man”
        Earl say’s generously “Thank you sir,I put a lot of work in this rap”
        “Well let me introduce myself,my name is Clifford Harris and I represent Columbia Records and I always go to different concerts and rap battles looking for the best talent to sign to my label Ruffhouse and I think we just found another great MC to sign.”
       Earl gives him this amazed look, his mouth dropping as he just stands there shocked.Mr Clifford  gives him his card and tells him to give him a call when he has made his decision.

Earl arrives home at 1:30 am in the morning and he tries to tip toe in the door and tries to be quiet as a mouse,but he bump’s his foot on the couch and screams, “Ahhh f*** my toe.”
   His mother yells out “Earl why the hell are you coming in so late,you know damn well we got church tomorrow”
    He says defensively “My bad momma,it won’t happen again”
    His mom says in a calm voice “Okay and good night,” but Earl  jumps in front of his Mom and say’s in a exciting voice, “Mom some dude named Clifford Harris from Columbia Records gave me his card and he want’s to sign me to his label.”
     His mom says in a attitude “Earl you know damn well you need to concentrate on school because you’ve been acting like a real dumbass lately”
    “But mom it’s a huge opportunity for me,and think about how much I’ll get paid for this and I could help pay the bills and you won’t be stressed out anymore.”
      His mom started thinking about it and thinks about what her son says.She looks back at Earl and says “I’ll think about it,we’ll talk in morning,but get your rest for tomorrow.” A little smile breaks out on his face and then flops on the couch on goes right to sleep.
      It’s sunday night and Earl and his mom are sitting at the table eating some popeyes chicken and drinking some sweet tea.His mom then looks at Earl and says “I’ve been thinking about what you said and about your record deal,I’ve decided to let you do it because I think your a great rapper and you have the potential,but I want you to maintain your integrity and stay focused.”
     Earl yells, “Yess,yess,yess,” he kisses his mom on the cheek and gives her a hug.He dashes into his room to get the manager’s card and he grabs the phone and dials the number.As the phone is ringing Earl starts shaking and he has this big nervous look on his face as he’s waiting for the call to come through.After 7 rings theres a voice that comes to the phone and say’s “hello.”
     “Hello Mr.Harris it’s Earl Simmons from the concert I’ve thought about your offer and I would love to sign with you on your label.”
      All of sudden Mr.Harris raises his voice in excitement and says “That’s good bruh and I was waiting on you but come to the studio on Franklin boulevard tomorrow  and we’ll get to work”.
     Earl says confidently, “Ard I gotchu sir”
     He hangs up the phone and gives out this big war cry “Yesssss,let’s go tho” as he’s flexing his muscles.He goes to the bathroom and washes up and hops on the couch so he can get rest for tomorrow.

It’s Monday morning and Earl jumps out of bed and goes straight to the bathroom and washes up  for his first day at the studio.He goes in the kitchen and get’s some cereal,but he rushes through the cereal and gulps down his orange juice and goes toward the front door and stops in the mirror to check himself and yells out “Wish me luck ma.”
He’s on his way to the studio with the biggest grin on his face, he walks a couple blocks until he reached Franklin boulevard and goes into this big apartment looking building and walks up to the third floor. He then presses the intercom and someone buzzes him in. As soon as he goes in he looks around in amazement at all the expensive equipment.Mr Harris comes out of nowhere and say’s “How ya doin young blood,I’m glad to see you man I’ve been waiting on you and I know your going to be big in this rap game.’’
Mr Harris then directs him to into the sound room so he can meet the rest of the producers,Earl walks with him and he’s highly nervous and his hand is shaking vigorously as he’s shaking the other producers hand.The producer then ask Earl “What ideas do you have on songs,because we already set a concert for you in 2 weeks, your going to be opening up for Ja Rule”
Earl then says “Are u f*in serious,ard well let me put in this work then”

Then Mr Harris says, “That’s great in all but what will ya stage name be because Earl Simmons as a stage name sounds wack.”
Earl say’s quickly “How bout DMX,just like the crowd was chanting at the concert.” Mr Harris shakes his head in approval.Then Earl runs straight in the recording booth and tell’s the producer to throw on the beat and he randomly starts rapping.

It is 2 weeks later and Earl is getting ready for his first concert and the concert is turn’t up and it’s packed with all the girls screaming and the crowd chanting “Ja Rule,Ja Rule,Ja Rule.” Earl’s in the back stage praying and pumping his chest trying to get hype and confident.It was his time to go on and he runs out on stage with his hat cocked to the side and his baggy clothes and yell’s out “where my nig**s at” and he get’s the crowd hyped up. The crowd gave him a standing ovation as he was leaving the stage.From then on DMX went on to have his own personal concert and he goes on to be a #1 selling rapper and sells over 12.2 record. Also he’s one of the richest rappers out right now.

It’s saturday night at Roxfords club in California and it’s late. Earl is at this after party for Will Smith.He’s sitting at the bar ordering drinks,when he had to go use bathroom and he pops out his seat and sprint’s to the bathroom.As soon as he get’s in there he dashes to the stall and doe’s his business.He walks out the stall with a sigh of relief and he see’s this guy with his face all up in his hands and he walks up conciously and tap’s on his back.
The guy then turns and said in kinda a strange voice “Yo man back the f*** off me bruh”
Earl steps back with his hands up and says “My bad man,I was just making sure if you good”
The guy then gave Earl  this smirk and looked away from him.But Earl notices something white and powdery in his hands and turns and asks the man “what’s that bruh”
“It’s that good,good bro you wanna try some for yourself.” Earl get’s some and sniffs it and has a grin on his face.
“Yoo this that good s***,can I get some bro to take home with me”
“Sure bro go ahead man” says the guy with the smirk still on his face. Earl walks out the bathroom and tucks the cocaine in his pocket and heads back to the bar. Later on he left the club, got into his car and drove away to his hotel,while there he brought out the cocaine and started snorting a lot of it and he eventually got high off it.
DMX now is a full time cocaine addict and because of this,he started slacking with his music and he’s invested the money he has into buying crack off the streets.As he was in the studio one of the fellow producers started looking at him in a skeptive way,so he pulled Earl to the side and asked him “What’s wrong with u my nigg”.
“Bruh what you talking about man I couldn’t be better,” says Earl, the producer could tell he wasn’t right and kept looking into Earl’s eyes and he glances at Earl’s lips and notices they were white as snow. But the producer just lets him go ahead and let’s him finish recording his new single.Mr Harris walks in the studio and watches Earl in the sound room,and he glances over at Earl’s jacket and notices a little packet full of white stuff and he walks over to DMX’s jacket and grabs the little packet and starts feeling on it and opens it and starts smelling and touching on the powder.He then waits until Earl is done recording and as soon as he gets out the sound room Mr.Harris confronts Earl.
“Yoo Earl what the hell is this” yelling at Earl with his hand with the cocaine behind his back.
   “What are you talking about--”
  “I’m talkin bout this,” showing his hand with the cocaine.
“Yoo what the f*** yo where you get that s*** from,” as Earl raises his voice at Mr. Harris
   “It really doesn’t matter how I got it,you are not aloud to have any drugs of any kind in this studio and you know what I’m not gonna risk this,cause you might do it again so you know what your fired motherf*er.” The whole room gets silent and Earl just stands there with his jaw dropped and he’s standing there getting angrier and angrier.

“You know what f*** you and this label and I reinvented this label and I made all yall famous and this is how you do me”.Earl then shoves Mr.Harris and he flips the equipment and storms out the studio with his crack and heads off.

It’s a year later Earl is now in rehab and he’s trying to better himself and he’s trying to get back in the rap game.But he get’s out later and he reads this letter and  finds out that Columbia Records is suing him for 2.2 million worth of  damaged equipment. He immediately passes out with the letter still in his hands.

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences