good people bad decisions | Teen Ink

good people bad decisions

By Lewis Sutherland, Houston, Texas
Lewis Sutherland, Houston, Texas

Author's note:

This was for a school assignment and if i put it on this web site i get extra credit 

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

CLICK CLACK BANG BANG !
He awoke on the cold hard concrete floor bleeding through his white shirt soaked with blood, but Mateo did not notice yet the only thing that he noticed was that there was his Beretta M9 Pistol on his waist between is pants with the handle barley sticking out and 10once of dope in his left pocket with no money nor his wallet it was missing.  He stood up feeling dizzy and try to walk it off then he felt something he felt his mouth water the sign that you are about the throw up hoping that it will not happen and then he collapse on the ground fell to his hands and knees throwing up for a straight 5 min drying to breath between the dry heaves wishing that it will just stop. Right after it was done he was feeling weak, tired , hungry and angry for some random reason the feeling that he wanted to use his Beretta M9 but did not know what to do next  he try to get a hold of his crew but no answer so what he did was he got up and walked to his mother’s house but the thing that he still have not noticed was the blood on his shirt and his beat up face looking like a bruised peach black and bruised. He walked in to his mother’s apartment where he lived and went inside straight to his room trying not to be noticed nor awake his mother Miranda. Mateo made is successfully to his room and locked his door and immediately took off all his clothes and shower and look to look clean again. Mateo looked at himself in the mirror and saw he faced messed up and a a hole in his chest looking like a gunshot he screamed  “S***” he suddenly felt the pain because he finally noticed it. He panic he was only 16 and did not know what to do so he got some of his Smirnoff vodka and poured it on him Mateo was in such pain that could not be put in words. After a while the pain wore off and wanted to get the bullet out but did not want to do. Mateo had a idea but did not how to go through with it. So he went under his bed and took out his needle he shot up heroin in his leg so his full body can be stoned and numb from the pain. He took out his Swiss army knife and cut open the skin and remove the bullet but thankfully it was not deep at all so it was easier. After he was done he was left with an open wound on his chest but had no idea what to do so he asked his mother to stich it up. Mateo gets dressed and enters his mother’s room and asks “mom can you give me a favor please”
She responded “yes sure what do you need”
Mateo asks nervously “can you stich up cut on my chest Me and one of my buddy’s where messing around with the bee bee guns
So she continues with a sigh and stiches it up and tells Mateo “you need to be more careful one day you are going to really hurt yourself.”
“I know I know it won’t happen again.”  After he enters his own room cleaning the blood in the sink and everything in his room. While cleaning his room he thought will sobering up
He said to himself “how did this all happen” Mateo was very puzzled why and what and how this all happened and I am not aware of it.
RING RING Mateo reaches in to his pocket to get his phone he answer’s it

“hello”
“hey its your boy Jaden…you won a go out tonight 
Aye sure I’ll meet you in Holland village
Mateo leaves his home to Holland village walking casually and arrives he greats all of his friends and explains what happened when he woke up today. Everyone was surprised what he said
He asks “where you guys apart of this or something
“nooooo” they said awkwardly
Mateo walks away to get a drink from 711 thinking if they were involved, but they would not do something that extreme like that. They would not of shot e and leave me like that they are my friends, my best friends. Mateo was very confused about everything so he comes back with a pack of marble gold’s cigarettes. Just took take the edge on and forget about it because he had more important things to worry about instead. He had to worry about his mother, the money, and the house that they were going to be evicted from their house if they did not pay the rent at the end of this month. So he had to prepare and think of how they can get the money fast, but puts it aside so he doesn’t stress too much.
Mateo walks away from his friends without letting them know. He walks around because he is feeling sick “I’ll just walk it off “he thinks what he has ate today and remembers just had a smoke and a beer back at Holland village and it hit him “Jayden bought me a drink and now I am feeling sick” says to himself. He runs back to Holland village extremely angry his hart ponding so hard he can feel hit his chest. Mateo was about to drop Jayden. When Mateo saw him and ran full speed and tackled him to the ground screaming “you try to kill me back in the alley way and spike my beer. It was all you wasn’t it right” said with such anger while he was attacking Jayden all of his friends pulled Mateo back to calm him down but the thing is Mateo has anger problems so it was very hard to calm him down. Eventually they restrained Mateo to the ground and clean up Jayden’s blood and dirt’s of him.
Jayden shouts “what you said and did was a horrible idea; you will regret it and your mother will as well”.
This only made Mateo angrier when he brought his mother in to it but Mateo wanted to break out and destroy the man but he thought about his mother then he clicked. The second the boys let him go he pulled out his gun in his waist and said “get down and the ground or ill will blow your  #@#!ing brains out so Jayden drop to the floor scared and his hands up with his head looking down. Mateo said “ if any of your boys come near my mother or me ill will kill you all one by one. No one jumped in to save Jayden. What went in Mateo head was to kill him or fire the gun next to him. Mateo was in such an anger mode he had tears his face was red he had no control over his emotions so he made the decision.
Bang he shot next to him; Jayden flinch after the bullet was fired then. Mateo cocked the gun back aimed it to Jayden’s head and whispered to him “ come with me “ so Jayden got up and followed him Mateo screams “If any one follows Your boy is dead and also all of you. Mateo took Jayden to the ally way where Mateo woke up this morning and said “do you remember this place
Jayden response “nononoooo I I I don’t know what t t you are talking g about
Mateo kicks down Jayden to the floor and shoots him BANG without hesitation at all Mateo walks away not caring and goes back home to forget about this long day. Mateo Enders him home and drops to the floor. His mother comes rushing and tries to wake up him. Maranda his mother drops down and cries and tries to wake him up but it doesn’t work so she calls 911 to get him rushed to the emergency room
2days after Mateo fell to the ground he just awoke from his little coma. When Mateo woke up he had a horrible headache like a swarm of bees in his brain string it at the same time. His mother came in looking depressed like something horrible just happened she told me “ I love you Mateo”.
The doctor came in and explained to Mateo what the doctor said to his mother and this was “you are diagnostic of cancer in your body” said the doctor
Mateo replayed “how long do I have?” with no emotion
“I am not sure but you need a monthly checkup”

The thing was that Mateo thought that this kind of treatment is far too much money for them to pay for but he also thought that if I don’t get this treatment I may die and there will be no one to look after my mother. He said to himself “I am getting the money even if it means my life. If I get enough money then my mother can move out and live a comfortable life with or without me”
Mateo left the hospital with his mother while she is crying handling Mateo arm. Mateo can feel those warm depressed tears running down his four arms to his fingers. This only made him want to work harder. Mateo wanted to get the money fast and a lot of it. So he calls his boy Sean and Ari to go meet up at his own house.
When Mateo, Ari and Sean finally regrouped they talked about what was going on and what happened and what he did to Jayden. He also explained that he needs money fast. His friends explain that “we don’t have enough to pay you” Mateo interrupted and said “NO…we all can get paid if you help me. “Alright what you want to do?”
Mateo walks out and said while walking “let’s take a ride” They all got in the car and was quite Mateo was driving and pulled out a Desert Eagle and gave everyone else handguns and said “ we are going to 711 !”
Mateo enters the shop and pulls the gun out and said “Give all the money and cigarettes in the bag. BANG Mateo shot the indecent man. Mateo’s friends where freaking out about what just happened.
Mateo was going crazy he screamed with anger and with tears like a crazy mental man and said “I am going to die anyways I don’t mater”   Mateo pulls out a line of coke and snorts it so he can feel invisible and when it hit his system he kicked out his friends out of the car and drove off in high speed. His friends where worried if something bad happened to him. Mateo came across Jayden’s home and shot up in it and drove away. ERRRRRR BANG CHEEEEE… 5.5 miles away he crashed the car in a pizza Hut. The Police, ambulance and the fire truck came there and took him the emergency room from the car crash nothing was bad just a couple of cuts and broses and was informed that the cancer went away … it was a temporary thing that your body got rid of by its self. Mateo was happy but an  police officer and man in a suite came in to talk to Mateo couple of hours later the doctor talked to him. They talked about the car crash and why and how it happened and why was you speeding down the road where a family recently got shot from. While there where talking they told him that
“You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand?
Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand?
You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. Do you understand?
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. Do you understand?
If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney. Do you understand?
Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?
Mateo was sent to court without lower because he did not have one nor the money for a lower. Mateo pleaded guilty he knew that he was going to prison no matter so he told the truth that he killed and shot up the people in the house, the same night he crashed his car. Mateo thought that he was going to just serve 100 service hours and have a breathalyzer in his car but no he was going to prison because he just turned 18 not long ago so that’s why he and his mother was not worried about it. Then hearing that sentenced 15 years in prison without bail, it shocked him what he heard. This felt like nothing can be worse than this. I will be in prison for 15 years and my mother will die on the streets and he won’t be there to help here.
Mateo was in tears, tears that dripped on the floor running down his face and snot clogging is nose. He mother was just sitting and crying and thinking that her son is a murder. This hurt a lot for Mateo to deal with.
When Mateo entered the prison in to his cell he met a man a big black man who was reading the bible. Mateo says “sup” to the man
He replied “Hey, what your name” in a very low cam voice.
“Mateo…”
“Hi Mateo… what brought you here”
“I shot up a house thinking it was my old friends Jayden house and killed the family living in it” saying it with shame
“Why did you do it? … Oh by the way my name is Michel” he asks
“I assumed my life was already over because I was diagnose of cancer but I don’t have it any more and I regret I mess up my life with one poor diction.
Michel said “at least you learned your less and now you just need to pay the consequence…    let me ask you a question. Do you believe in God?
Mateo said “I have heard of it and went to church once but I don’t know what God is about”
Michel asked “ can I teach you the word of the lord because the first time I went to prison at your age just a bit older then you I was sent for armored robbery and while in prison for 10 years I learned about the bible and it helped me in life and helped me to help others and then I became a priest and it will help you think of a purpose of life”.
Mateo questioned “why are you here now?”
“ I was accused for rape on a woman in the church alone
“Did you do it?”
“Of course not… I was in the lords house and I child of God I would not even think of something like that. I don’t know why she made such a lie about that and about me. But the way I look at this is God did this to me for a reason but I don’t why yet.
Michel and Mateo where like friends. Each day they both talked and learned more about the word of the lord. They prayed every night and Mateo came closer to God each day and started helping preach to other inmates as well and give back. Mateo became a new person, a new person who wants to make a different in the world and help. This made Mateo more motivated to do good. Mateo prayed to say thank you for this eye opting and also pry for his mother being by here self.
Couple years later
Mateo was supposed to have a visitor with his mother but a man came in instead and sat down with Mateo and explained that his mother had passed away. It did not sink just yet it was such a shock. Mateo tiered up and asked “how?”
The man replied “She got sick and could not rest because of work and she was stressed and was not eating cause of money problems.
This made Mateo tear up even more because he felt responsible for this and the man said to Mateo
“There will be light at the end… the world may seem bad but at the end it comes down to you on how you can make your future better then you past because you can’t change your past”
This made Mateo feel better he got up and went back to his cell reading his bible.
After prison
Mateo just got released from the 15 year sentenced. The first thing Mateo did is go sleep and the YMCA and join the Christian service and talked and participating with the people and help. Mateo was homeless and poor but he was happy of that. Mateo had a plan and that was to move to Texas because he visits it as a child and had good and healthy memories and kind of knew the place and starts a new life. He wanted to go to a collage and become a therapist and help children and give back to the world what the world gave him a second chance to do well and live in Christian ways.
Mateo was going to be a knew person and help others and do good things and make his mother proud in heaven…
The End
CLICK CLACK BANG BANG !
“hello”
“nooooo” they said awkwardly
“Mateo…”
“Hi Mateo… what brought you here”
“Did you do it?”
Couple years later
After prison
The End
CLICK CLACK BANG BANG !
“hello”

“nooooo” they said awkwardly
“Mateo…”
“Hi Mateo… what brought you here”
“Did you do it?”
Couple years later
After prison
The End
CLICK CLACK BANG BANG !
“hello”
“nooooo” they said awkwardly
“Mateo…”
“Hi Mateo… what brought you here”
“Did you do it?”
Couple years later
After prison
The End
CLICK CLACK BANG BANG !
“hello”
“nooooo” they said awkwardly
“Mateo…”
“Hi Mateo… what brought you here”
“Did you do it?”
Couple years later
After prison
The End