Election Day | Teen Ink

Election Day

August 27, 2014
By theNinjaxD SILVER, Jacksonville, Georgia
More by this author
theNinjaxD SILVER, Jacksonville, Georgia
9 articles 20 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered."
-Tom Stoppard


Author's note:

I wrote this as a submission to the Gordon State College writing competition. I didn't win anything, but I worked extremely hard to put it together so I thought I'd share it.

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

He stood backstage and listened to the murmurs of the crowd as he wiped the beads of sweat from his brow. His heart pounded; he took a deep breath as his name was called and walked as evenly as possible up to the podium. His hesitant smile was greeted by many cheers; the crowd was filled with rapture at this unprecedented demonstration. He began his speech with his stomach at his feet, but managed to maintain a steady tone and to captivate the crowd with his notions. This was the first stop in his campaign, the first baby step in realizing his dream of becoming president. It would be a very rough road to walk; he, being a man, was defying an entire society where women had always been in power and their male counterparts were oppressed. He was making a statement; and they liked that.

He moved on from the small towns like Cicero, Indiana, where he had made his first campaign speech, to larger cities like Atlanta, Detroit, and Los Angeles. Within months his name was known across the nation; he was even briefly mentioned in newscasts around the globe in countries like China, Great Britain, many in South America, and some in Africa. The whole world was gradually becoming aware of the turning of tides in the greatest nation on Earth. Meanwhile, the influence of Brian Samson Franklin swept across the land like wildfire. His very presence in a room or his voice on the radio or television radiated his charismatic persona. People in all corners of America would gather at his rallies and listen to his speeches about how he would reform the government, bring them out of war and poverty, strengthen the economy, and, most importantly, end the oppressive treatment of men.

 Campaign Speech of Indiana State Senator Brian Franklin, Fox News Channel broadcast, 7:00 P.M. May 9th, 2006 live from Times Square, New York City, New York:

“My fellow Americans, I greet you today as part of a country in the midst of oppression, riddled with injustice. A country where women and men are not treated equally; where our sons cannot go to the best schools and get the highest quality education possible; where a man convicted of the same crime as a woman gets punished more harshly. And on top of all of the sexism, our economy is in shambles and if we don’t do something about it now, while we can, our whole country will be in ruins-- the country that has been on top of the whole world for over half a century and has witnessed a Golden Age twice as long as that of any other country in known history. The majority of this financial decline is due to the impending war. Since 9/11, our search for Osama bin Laden has caused much tension in the Middle East in countries like Afghanistan and Iraq. The government’s had to make budget cuts in many areas to pay for military expenses and the tightening of Homeland Security over the last five years. If I’m elected, I will personally work night and day to resolve each and every one of these problems. I will work on devising a strategy, both diplomatic and martial if necessary, to settle the growing conflict overseas. I will strive every day that I’m in office to concentrate on not just these foreign affairs, but on the social injustices that are allowed to occur right here in the heart of America, the “brave,” and the “free.” I will also work with Congress to get a bill put on the table to fix our budget issues. Now, Rome wasn’t built in a day; nor can our country be reconstructed in four short years. But if I am elected, I promise to do everything in my power to at the very least attempt to fulfill these goals. Some of you look at me and see a man, nothing more. But I hope that you can look past this simple-minded preconception and see what great things we, together, as a country could accomplish. All I ask for is four years to attempt to prove my point. Thank you. Good night!”

End of broadcast.

As the days turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months, the election slowly drew closer and with its approach Brian’s speeches became more intense. His ideas of equality didn’t appeal to everyone, and pretty soon several minorities band together supporting his opposition. This sudden upheaval of the normal order had provoked many political debates.

Article from the New York Times, “America: A Nation of Change?” by Melani Lorady, published Sunday, September 16, 2006:

“America, a country built on the backs of strong women and sustained by their dedication, has witnessed what could possibly be the start of a cultural revolution- the rise of mankind. Since our nation’s humble beginnings, man has known his rightful place in society. The women that fought and won the Revolution built the foundations of this country and its government. The men in their lives supported them, as was their duty, but did not interfere in these matters which did not concern them.

Over time, men gained a bit more influence in the world of business and politics, but they always knew when to stop before overstepping their boundaries. But as we enter the 21st century, it seems the world has been changing imperceptively. The rise of Brian S. Franklin, 36, from senator to presidential candidate so soon after the start of his political career is proof alone of the public’s drastic change of perspective.

Franklin was born raised and has lived in the small town of Marion, Indiana all his life. He graduated high school with a 3.98 GPA and applied to Harvard, which turned him down. He instead graduated from Ball State University in Muncie, IN with a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science and Government and Economics. After his graduation, he returned to his hometown where he served as mayor (the first man to do so in that region in over fifty years) for two terms. Franklin possessed a natural talent for public speaking, which got him far in his political career. After his eight years in local government, he decided to run in the state election for senator. He served one term as senator and decided to run for president after gaining good standing with the citizens of his state through his genuine consideration of their wants and needs.

What would happen to the country if a man were to take charge? How much different would it be? Could he lead us out of the hole of poverty and war that we’ve been slowly digging? Many people are utterly against the possibility. But others say that America is a country of innovation- that we shouldn’t shy away from the new but embrace it with open arms. The election is in a little more than two years’ time and if you’re all like me, I know you too will be counting down the days.”

 

End of Article.

Late November 2006, mock elections were held to determine the possible outcome of the approaching election. Senator Brian Franklin had an average lead of 19%. Radical groups began to rebel openly, and the tension rose until riots began to break out in early 2007. Many people were wounded in these uprisings, and a total of 8 people died from the injuries they sustained. On March 15, Senator Franklin’s seven year old sister never arrived home from school. The following Tuesday after a five day search effort, they found her body; they assumed she was a victim of the violence caused by the election.

Excerpt from the obituary of Rachel Franklin, the Marion Chronicle-Tribune written by Angelica Ascall published Sunday, April 1, 2007:

“Today, we lament a loss so great that has touched each and every one of our hearts very deeply. The passing of young Rachel Adelphe Franklin will never be forgotten by her loving friends and family. Rachel had big dreams for her future; she wanted to be a scientist and discover new things and new places no one had ever been before. She wanted to travel and see the world and make every day an adventure. But one accident took all that away from her before she could even begin her journey to the wonderful places she was bound to go. Though we will grieve losing her, we will always remember the time that we had with her while she was still here.”

Her relatives and closest companions gathered at Raven-Choate Funeral Home for the services. They buried her in the Estates of Serenity cemetery on South Lincoln Boulevard in Marion that Wednesday. The whole family was distraught. His sister’s death took quite a toll on Brian, diminishing his stamina a fair bit; but still he pressed on with his campaign, determined to see it through to the end.

Interview with Senator Brian Franklin, ABC News 6:00 April 27, 2007 hosted by Charles Gibson:

“’Good evening, America. I’m Charles Gibson and I’m here tonight with Indiana State Senator Brian Franklin. Now Brian, I’ve been following your campaign since the beginning and I must say it’s been quite a ride. You’ve become extremely popular among the majority of men and even some women, though this has not come without a price.’

Brian: ‘No, it hasn’t.’

Gibson: ‘I believe you recently lost your sister, am I correct?’

Brian: ‘Yes, her name was Rachel and she was only seven. We believe she fell victim to the violence of the riots caused by the approach of the election.’

Gibson: ‘Oh, that’s just horrible. My greatest condolences to you and your family.’

Brian: ‘Thank you, thank you.’

Gibson: ‘So, on the matter of your campaign: are you still planning on running or are you going to drop out? The results of the Mock Election showed you had a 19% lead which was far greater than expected. The numbers could possibly stay in your favor from now until next November and you could find yourself as chief executive of this country, the first male to ever in living history accomplish this status.’

Brian: ‘Yes, I still plan on seeing this through to the end. Though we never expected the numbers to be that high, it was a nice bonus. Right now, our main concern is putting an end to the riots and preventing more people from getting hurt in the future. No one should have to get the call saying their loved one died in a political disturbance. It’s not a very worthy reason to die.’

Gibson: ‘I agree completely. The price people are paying for these demonstrations is not worth the cause they are trying to promote. Well Brian, we thank you for joining us this evening and wish you good luck in your running. This is Charles Gibson. We’ll be back in a moment on ABC News.’”

End of Interview.

Working with law enforcement agencies, Brian was able to get the rioting generally leveled out, though it still existed in some areas of the country. Polls everywhere began to turn in his favor after the start of the riots and his sister’s death. People felt pity for him, but moreover, they began to see the wrong being done and harm being caused over the irrational belief that a man should not head the government. By the day, the number of women who supported him grew exponentially. The number of men who rejected his views shrunk as well. The group that started the chain of riots that broke out like a rash on the face of the nation was yet to be caught. Days passed and, biding their time, they waited for the opportune moment to strike back.

Excerpt from the diary of Morana Kritanta, dated January 4, 2008:

“We are moving into position now and once we set our plan into motion, no one can stop us. I won’t say much incase this book is found, but we’re planning something- something to make them pay for the atrocities they are attempting to shove down the throat of our Motherland. It’s become apparent that women nowadays know no better than to just stand back and let our workforce and our government be violated by men who think that they are capable of more than they really are. Not one of them could ever equal a woman, and putting that senator into office- handing him the KEYS TO THE KINGDOM!!!- is going to be the worst mistake this country’s ever made. You can mark my words.

-Morana”

In July 2008, an organization that called themselves the Blatant Retort emerged. Whispers of their activity were heard throughout much of the nation. By early August, these whispers had turned into murmurs and gossip was spread about the possibility of a terrorist organization alive and growing right here in the United States. The next three months passed quickly for Brian, and soon Election Day was upon him. On November 4, 2008, Indiana State Senator Brian Samson Franklin received 75% of the Electoral College votes (403/538) and became the 44th president of the United States of America.

Inaugural Address of President Brian S. Franklin, United States Capital, 11:05 a. m. November 5, 2008:

“My fellow Americans:

First today, I would sincerely like to thank every one of you for giving me the opportunity to reform this country for the better. Even if you did not vote in my favor, I would like you to eventually see what good will be done in this country- overseas, socially, and economically. To you women who still believe in the old ways I say, cheer up! In four years if I have not done the job I’ve promised to do and better then nowhere does it say you must re-elect me. If I am proven to be wrong, I will admit defeat; but the chances of this, I believe, are slight. I’m not here to be anyone’s enemy, nor am I here to be your friend. I am simply here to attempt to get this country back in running condition again.

Yes, women built many great things here and formed the government of which I am now the leader. But that does not mean that a man could not have done the same had he been given the opportunity to do so. It was simply not possible two hundred years ago for a man to climb any higher on the social ladder than he already was, and every man was born equal- the servant of his woman. The battle for gender equality has progressed greatly since then; many men are more respected and are almost on the same level as some of the lower class women. It’s not much, but it’s a start that may improve in the years to come.

The economy is one issue that cannot be pushed aside if we intend to avoid a crisis. Now that I’m in office, I will begin figuring a solution to this problem to keep this fiscal weight off of the shoulders of the American people. I will also work up a resolution to the Middle East Conflict while trying as best as is possible to avoid war.

I have dreamed since childhood of this day, and it is a great honor to be able to come before you who have finally helped me to make that dream a reality. It will be my privilege to serve these next four years as your president.”

Brian kept his promises and used his intelligence and his charm to get Congress to begin putting out legislature almost immediately. Reforms of government spending and budget cuts had already been passed and military’s course of action was being planned when, on December 22, President Franklin was assassinated by Morana Kritana, leader of the Blatant Retort, en route to a conference with the Secretary of Defense.

Eulogy of President Brian Samson Franklin by Deacon Ambrose, December 26, 2008:

“Today, the whole nation grieves a tragic loss. I’ve known Brian since college, and I know he would’ve done so much more for this country had he lived long enough to do so. America as a whole should pray for his family that has not only lost him, but not long ago lost their little girl as well. They’ve been through more than most and I admire their strength.

Brian was a good man. He was always optimistic, the life of the party. Even after Rachel died, he insisted on continuing running in the election. I think somewhere deep inside he knew something like this may happen, but the campaign was all he had, all he dreamed about. He never married, never had too many serious relationships- he was too strong-willed. He was all about improving life for us, and I’m not just talking about men. He cared more about common, every-day Americans than he did his own self. That’s why this job- excuse me- this job was perfect for him. It was like it was molded to fit him, or maybe he was just born fit for the part. But some people didn’t think that way, and thought the best thing to do was to get rid of him. And now his parents are less two children and at the moment the woman who committed the assassination was sentenced to life imprisonment. We’re pushing for more, for a man’s punishment, since it was a man she killed and on top of the President of the United States! This is not to be spiteful, but to seek justice for my friend, for Mr. and Mrs. Franklin’s son, your president, the life that was lost not even a week ago. I hope Brian, wherever he is, can look down on this country four, eight, and twelve years from now and be proud of the things that I hope we can accomplish. He started it, and in his honor, we ought to finish it.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.