From a Cocoon to a Butterfly | Teen Ink

From a Cocoon to a Butterfly

By sasunaru BRONZE, Rancho Cucamonga, California
sasunaru BRONZE, Rancho Cucamonga, California

Author's note: This inspired me, because I have many gay friends and unfortunately there own parents don't accept them sadly.

My eyes slowly opened and I felt someone squeeze my hand. I turned to look and saw soft coal black eyes staring at me lovingly.
“We’re here.” He said. I looked out the window and sure enough the streets were busy with people. I gave a smile and turned around.
“Together we’ll start our life together, no one will ever hurt you?” He said.
“Promise.”
“I promise.” And he bent down taking my lips in a promise.
5 months earlier
My life has been what you would call…..a big pile of confusing s***. My parents are constantly fighting, I guess you can say my life began to go all over the place when I entered the seventh grade. I noticed that when my friends were crushing on girls with large boobs and nice asses, I couldn’t keep my eyes off the most popular guy in school. Johnny Glass. When my friends were talking about making out with the girls and I quote “Massage their breasts till they were red” I was too busy imagining Johnny’s pale pink lips massaging my own. That was the moment my head bolted up and I immediately knew there was something wrong with me, I mean when he would talk to us I would blush like a freaking school girl for Pete’s sake!
As this feeling for Johnny intensified I began to panic. I mean this wasn’t normal. Right? As the year passed by, I merely kept these feelings inside me. I freaking bought porn for the love of God to see if it was just a stage. But even if I watched it nothing happened. Zero, the little me didn’t even bother! As I entered my freshman year, Johnny and I began to talk frequently, and even though I wanted this forbidden feeling to go away, I couldn’t. Just hearing his musky voice sent violent, beautiful shivers down my body. It was then I knew that no matter what I tried to do, I was falling in love with Johnny. Hard. Once I knew what I felt I went to my very good friend and explained the situation. I was afraid to tell him and quite frankly I was ashamed. I felt that if I told him he would get the look of utter disgust on his face and push me away, calling me those words I never would want to hear. But, Jack proved me wrong, he merely laughed and told me it took me long enough to come out of the closet. At this my mouth fell open. MY FREAKING BEST FIRNED KNEW THAT WAS GAY BEFORE I DID! He told me that practically our whole group knew that I was gay, but they didn’t want to ask or pry, for they thought that I was uncomfortable, and they wanted me to come out on my own time.
“W-what do I tell my mom? “ I asked him. Jack looked at me his ice blue eyes softening and put a hand on my shoulder.
“It’s your choice buddy, you can tell her or not, but that’s your choice David.” He said. I gave a nod and bid good-bye. This is what I dreaded most. One telling my parents that I preferred men instead of woman, and possibly If I have enough courage to tell Johnny how I felt about him. The whole walk home, my body shook both in fear and nervousness, but what was troubling me most was how exactly I was going to tell them. It’s safe to say that when I got home I acted like if nothing was wrong. I know I’m a coward.

The day passed by and when it was only my mother and I, I asked her a question.
“Mom, w-what do you think about gays, and lesbians?” I asked her. My mother looked up from her book and looked at me sharply, her stormy gray eyes looking at me.
“What did you say.” She said softly.
“W-what do you think about gay’s and lesbian’s.” I repeated lowly, my body shaking as I looked at her.
“They are a disgrace, nothing but filthy creatures. God put Adam and Eve on this earth for a reason, gay’s and lesbian’s are nothing but disgusting fags!” She spat as she looked at me. I flinched and resisted the tears that welled up in my eyes to go away.
“Why do you ask?” She questioned her eyes narrowing.
“N-no reason just curious.” I said. My mother reached out grabbing a fierce hold on my chin forcing me to look up. Her stormy gray eyes searched mine.
“That better be the truth.” She growled. I nodded and bid her good night. I went up the stairs and threw myself on my bed. Great I guess telling my mother that I’m gay is way out of the question.

Ever since that day, I never mentioned anything to my mother, but the only bad thing is that my mother has kept a tight eye on me. Well more like she was suspicious of me, she told my father that I was gay and began yelling awful things. My little brother would come running into my room once he heard the dishes flying, and voice escalating. Of course my father didn’t believe it, he only yelled at my mother calling her crazy, and to get on so damn medication. If this was how they acted with mere suspicions I wonder how they would really react when they found out I was. I merely proceeded on with my life, saying nothing and the years passed by, I guess you could say my mother now despised me, letting her suspicions get the best of her, but I would say her suspicions were correct. So everyday my mother harassed me always telling me that same thing, that gay’s and lesbian’s were nothing but filth. So I guess you could say it was the usual, although there was one good thing, my friend is going to throw and party and Johnny is going to be there. On that day my friends went their own way, and I stayed outside enjoying a nice cup of soda in my hand as I looked up at the stars, staring at them in envy. They had no worries, nothing, not like my life.
“Nice night today, right?” Johnny said, I turned to see him, his pale skin looking beautiful in the moonlight.
“It is.” I replied.
“Mind if I sit?”
“Nope not at all.” I replied, Johnny gave a light grunt as he bent. He sat down next to me looking up at the sky. I looked up my face remaining passive, but on the inside I was screaming with joy. I mean not to mention was he sitting next to me, but we were SHOULDER TO SHOULDER! Lord, he smelled so freaking AMAZING, a perfect cologne that was highly intoxicating to my nose. All I wanted to do was snuggle up against him and inhale that great scent.
“David?”
“Hmm?”
“Please don’t freak out about this.”
“Freak out about what?” I asked as I turned around.
“This.” He whispered.
BAM!
I was screaming! I was screaming with joy! Johnny was kissing me. HE WAS KISSING ME! Oh my sweet baby Jesus, he tasted amazing, he freaking tasted like M&M’s! I freaking love M&M’s! I clutched myself closer to him, wanting his heat to spread all throughout my body. Boy did he lose me when his tongue entered my mouth. Man, how long have I earned for this, for this Sex God of a man to notice me, to kiss me. I gave whine when Johnny pulled away, and I gave a blush as I heard his deep, rough, body shaking laugh. He grabbed a hold of my chin, his endless pools of black staring into my hazel ones.
“You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to do that.” He whispered as he gave a kiss to my lips.
“You wanted to kiss me?” I said. Oh god dammit David, what type of question is that? Johnny gave a laugh and shook his head.
“From the very first moment I met you, I’ve wanted to do that, but I never had the courage to come up to you and tell you; but since this was our last year I decided to try. You know the moment you kissed me back was the happiest moment of my life.” He said. I gave a laugh and put a hand to his cheek, my tan skin looking gray in the moonlight.
“So, David, would you like to be my boyfriend?” My heart fluttered and tear welled up in my eyes. MAN I WAS SUCH A FREAKING GIRL!
“Yes.” I whispered. A large, heartwarming smile spread on Johnny’s face. He wiped the tears that fell from my eyes and bent down taking my lips in his. Even though I was nearly crying with joy that the man I loved was kissing me I couldn’t help but feel a terrible feeling that was arising in my stomach. I skipped my way home a wide smile on my face.

“I’m home!” I yelled. I turned around, and my smile fell when I saw my mother. Her arms were crossed, and her eyes shone a great fury, a fury barely contained.
“You disgusting fag!” She yelled, I never saw the punch coming. The only thing I felt was my head snapping to the side crashing against the mirror. My head spun as I crumpled to the floor.
“YOU DISGUSTING FREAK, AFTER EVERYTHING I’VE DONE FOR YOU THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME, BY SHOVING YOUR TONGUE DOWN ANOTHER DISGUSTING BOY’S THROATS? I SAW YOU AND THAT OTHER BOY!” My mother yelled, as she landed hit after hit. I felt blood run down from my nose, temple, and lips.
“STOP! PLEASE STOP!” I yelled. I couldn’t think of what hurt worse, the fact that my body was aching or the fact that my own mother was beating me.
“YOU LITTLE S***! JUST DIE! YOU DAMN QUEER!” She roared, in that moment my father came home, and when he saw my mother and I he rushed forward.
“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU CRAZY?!” My father yelled. My mother thrashed against my father, and I never felt so much fear in my life.
“TELL YOUR FATHER! TELL YOU FATHER WHAT A LITTLE NASTY BOY YOU ARE! WHY DON’T YOU TELL HIM YOU’RE GAY!” My mother screamed. I looked up at my father stunned face; he looked at me with wide eyes.
“Tell me it’s not true.” He said. I looked at my parents, tears fell down my eyes. I did the only thing I could. I bolted for the door. Tears blurred my vision, but I knew my only safe haven. I ran up the darkened street and turned a left. I ran up to the cherry wood door and knocked.
“Please open, please open.” I cried. The door opened to reveal a bare-chested Johnny. If it were a normal day I would drool, but right now I needed him to hold me. I burst into tears and ran into his arms. My body shook, and ached. My mother, my own mother nearly beat me to death. A person who was to protect me, to love me…nearly killed me. Johnny said nothing; he merely tightened his hold on me and kept repeating ‘I’m so sorry’ like a mantra. My heart was breaking, I knew that being gay was forbidden in my family, but my heart was crumbling into pieces. Johnny held me, and I looked up surprised when I felt something wet. My eyes widened when tears ran down Johnny’s pale skin.
“I’m so sorry David, I’m so sorry!” He cried and he pulled me closer burying his face in my neck. That night, Johnny spent a good time holding me, nothing was said, and all that was heard were my broken sobs.

A month passed ever since the incident and my mother hasn’t said a word to me, nor apologized. My father found me the same day. Ever since I ran from my house Johnny and his parents welcomed me to live with them. My father apologized, but even I could see in his eyes that he was disgusted, but not as much as my mother.
“I’m going to New York.” I told him. He looked at me with wide eyes.
“What?”
“I’m going To New York, Johnny and I got into the same school, so we’re going to school there.” I said.
“Good, honestly it would be better if you left.” He said coolly. My eyes cast down, and resisted the urge to yell.
“Could you do me a favor?”
“What is it?”
“Could you set up a meeting with mom?”
“I don’t th-“
“Please.” I said. My father gave a sigh, but nonetheless nodded
“I’ll call you when she’s there at her usual place.” He said and with that he turned around and began to walk away.
“I love you dad!” I yelled, my father stopped, but he merely balled his fists and walked away without another word.
-xXx-
“You okay?” Johnny asked as I entered the house.
“I’m fine, I’m just going to see my mother late on.” I said. Johnny got up and grabbed me in his arms.
“Do you want me to go with you?”
“No this is something I need to do alone.” I said. Johnny nodded giving me a light peck to my lips.
“Very well, I’m going to go and pack.” He said. I nodded and waiting for the call.

About two hours later the call came in and my mother was at the café we always went to. I took a deep breath and drove on down. When I reached the café, I saw her through the window, a book in her hand and a coffee in the other. With a heavy sigh, I opened my car door and made my way on over to her. When she looked up and saw me sitting across from her, her eyes narrowed in disgust, and she made a move to leave.
“All I ask is for a few minutes that’s all, and then I’m gone.” I said. She gave me a glare, but sat down anyway.
“I’m going to New York, I got accepted into a college there, so I’m going.” I said. “They have this really great art and writing program, they were the one’s that recruited me in the first place.” I told her, but she wasn’t listening, she merely remained quiet and looked anywhere but at me.
“Mom please say something,” I whispered, she snapped her head towards me and gave a menacing growl.
“Want me to say something fine! I hate you! You’ve gone against my wishes to bring yourself a good woman, you’re nothing but an foul human being! You are nothing to me! YOU HEAR ME, NOTHING! YOU ARE NO LONGER MY SON! I CAN’T BELIEVE I GAVE BRITH TO SOMETHING LIKE YOU! YOU’RE NON EXISTENT! YOU ARE NOTHING BUT AN IT!” She spat at me. Tears brimmed my eyes and, before I knew it I snapped and I slammed my hands on the table.
“THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME! I’M A HUMAN BEING, I LIVE, I BREATH, I HURT, I LOVE, I CRY, I HAVE EVERY FEELING A HUMAN BEING HAS! JUST BECAUSE I LOVE SOMEONE FROM THE SAME SEX DOESN’T MEAN ANYTHING! THERE IS NO DEFECT IN ME! I LOVE JUST LIKE A REGULAR HUMAN BEING! I FEEL LIKE A REGULAR HUMAN BEING! WE LOVE LIKE A REGULAR HUMAN BEING AND IT SHOULDN’T MATTER THAT I LOVE THE SAME SEX! IF PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO LOVE WHY THE HELL CAN’T WE? WE DON’T HURT ANYONE! THE ONLY PEOPLE HURTING US ARE SELFISH PEPOLE LIKE YOU!” I yelled, by the time I finished I was breathing heavily and everyone in the café turned to look at us.
“There is nothing wrong with me, I love Johnny just like you love dad.” I whispered.
“Whatever you say won’t change my mind, you are merely a stranger now!” I mother yelled. I looked down watching as my hands felt wet.
“You’re unbelievable; my own mother who gave birth to me treats me like scum.” I whispered to myself.
“Like I said, I never gave birth to something as despicable as you!” She growled. I got up turned around.
“You know what it doesn’t matter, I just want you to know that I love you, and even though you nearly beat the life out of me you will always be my mother whether I like it or not.” I said, and without a single look back I walked away.
Present time
“I promise.” He whispered as he bent down taking my lips in a searing passionate kiss. I pulled away and looked at the sky. A soft smile graced my lips as I saw two butterflies flutter right before my eyes. I had done it, thanks to the love that both Johnny and I had for one another I had come out of the imprisoning cocoon, I had come out of it and turned into a beautiful butterfly, and butterfly that was free and flying around with its soul mate, nothing holding him back.
“I love you.”
“I love you too.”

Willflower.-.-. BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona

This is us. This is who we are. We demand attention.

Interesting subject. I agree with the other comment, but grammatical errors are hindering me from really delving into the story. Imagine the scenery, smells, the feels, the sights, the sounds. That's is just one key of an amazing story. 3.5/5

on Sep. 19 2014 at 11:29 am
AutumnMoon BRONZE, Lebanon, Maine

"We see our better selves in the eyes of those who love us." -Cassandra Clare

I liked the subject of this book a lot. I think it's important for people to realize that being gay is okay and you did a good job of arguing that. One thing that I found you may need to fix is the pace of this novel. I know you wanted to have a short story, but at some parts it seemed kind of rushed. Beides that, I like it a lot. 4/5