Why Did You Go? | Teen Ink

Why Did You Go?

By angelaa_robinn, Mt. Airy, Maryland
angelaa_robinn, Mt. Airy, Maryland

Maybe it's not about the happy ending, maybe it's about the story.

Author's note: My inspiration for this piece is how important friendship is. Friendship is something people choose to develop unlike family relationships, and it extends much deeper than any romantic relationships.

It’s strange how you think you know someone, but then they do something so incredibly bizarre, leaving you stunned, pondering whether you ever knew them at all. That’s how I feel about India Lovette. We were as close as two girls could be: going to each other’s houses on a nearly daily basis, telling each other exactly how we were feeling right when we were feeling it, sharing secrets we thought we’d never let another soul on earth now about. But clearly I didn’t know her at all, because she ran away the night of her sixteenth birthday. All she left behind was a brief note. I’m sorry everyone, but I’ve had enough and I’m leaving. You don’t understand the hell I’ve been put through and I can’t stay here anymore. Don’t come after me, you won’t find me; I’m going to make sure of that. Goodbye, India. Her parents sent out searches on a daily basis; they tried her cell every few minutes, hoping that eventually she’s give in and pick up; they used every system of trying to track her down that existed, but she was gone. Years passed. I never knew why. I knew no more than the people that didn’t know anything about India except her name. And that hurt, because that meant I was no more important than any of them, and wasn’t worthy enough to know anything more.
I tried to move on, to live my life without her, but it was impossible to go on without her by my side. Going to the mall was never the same without her criticism of my love for girly stores and strong perfumes. Checking out the boys at the pool was never the same without her little groan of pleasure in my ear when a boy had rock-hard abs. Football games were never the same without India marching up to people we didn’t know and meeting new friends. School was never the same without India texting me during second period, reminding me not to look at Mr. Wilson’s nose hair. Saturday nights were never the same without her throwing popcorn at me while we watched scary movies and snuck out to parties. Talking about my feelings was never the same without her because without India, nobody understood. I lost myself without India there. Without her, there was no one to push me outside of my comfort zone. Without her, I became once again, the lonely wallflower. Nothing was the same without India Lovette there.
I grieved over India’s disappearance for a long while, but then the grief turned to anger and hatred towards her for abandoning me when I never did a single thing to wrong her. I hated her for lying to me about everything she ever felt. I hated her for not explaining to me why she had to leave. I hated her for leaving me alone in the world, because she was the only person whom I felt connected to. I hated her for making me feel like I was a terrible person, causing her to run away when I didn’t do anything. I hated her for not inviting me to run away with her; I would’ve loved to run away from everything with her by my side. And above all I hated India Lovette because I loved her and she was gone.
It’s been two and a half years since her disappearance. Everything has changed in her absence: I surround myself with girly girls who never do anything risky, I hardly ever go out, and I have stopped sharing my deepest feelings with anyone, not even my boyfriend, Silas, who is India’s ex that she broke up with by running away. It seems like a b**** move, stealing her boyfriend, but she obviously didn’t care about him since she ran away from him, just like she didn’t care about me. We were in the same boat, affected in the same way by her running away. We were the only people who understood each other. We didn’t mean to fall in love, but it happened, and in the depression I developed from her running away, he was the only happiness in my life. And after all the sadness and anger India caused me by running away, I felt I deserved the happiness Silas brought me. After so much hurt and grief, to allow oneself happiness is one of the most gratifying feelings in the world.
Tomorrow was graduation day. The day I’ve spent four years preparing for, actually the day I’ve spent my whole life preparing for, it was finally here. Growing up has been the big goal of life since I was born. To be an adult has been the mission since I could walk, and at long last, it was here, right in front of my face. Adulthood was a day away from me and I could hardly believe it. I felt as though my entire life has gone by far too quickly and I was barely given any time at all to enjoy my childhood. My life seemed to be divided by three sections: the first part full of loneliness and suffering, the second full of excitement and joy, and the third consisting primarily of loss and abandonment. Each one had a lengthy reign, and each one changed me as a person completely.
Throughout my entire life, I had to deal with watching my parents get into very loud and very violent fights on a fairly regular basis. This started when I was around five or six and continued until seventh grade when they got a divorce. Watching the two people I loved more than anything fighting over the dumbest things hurt in that way where the only way to make yourself feel better is to ignore it, live in your own world, block it out, and move on from it. This fighting forced me to develop emotional strength of someone much older than the kindergartner that I was at the time. In addition to the hardships I faced at home, I dealt with a looming sense of loneliness wherever I was. I didn’t have any friends at school, only the teachers seemed to like me. I hated going to swim team because there were two girls that always made fun of how skinny I was, so I made up excuses for not going. My youth group for church was a safe place at first until my father told me about how God didn’t care about our family, that’s why it was so messed up, and so I lost my faith in addition to everything else in my life.
My life didn’t turn around until seventh grade. At the beginning of that school year, my parents got a divorce, which hurt a lot at first, but after a few months I realized how much safer my home life was without them fighting all the time. And though this helped immensely, my life didn’t finish its complete 180 until the second semester began and India Lovette moved to Bakerfield, Pennsylvania. Meeting India was the one thing that started giving purpose and happiness to my life. She was my first best friend, and she was the best best friend. The next few years with her in my life brought me more happiness than I could have ever imagined experiencing. I was at the peak of my character, myself as a person, and most importantly, my life. I was high off of our friendship, and I felt like I was never coming down. But then, like everything good in life, it had to come to an end. India ran away, and I felt the overwhelming loss of her in my life. Her absence changed me, and I haven’t yet decided for better or for worse. It made me stronger, but it also hurt me, in a way that can never be repaired. It was the same kind of hurt I felt when I was younger and watched my parents fighting. The pain never goes away. Overtime, you come to find a sense of acceptance of the pain and you get used to it, making it hurt a little less, but the emotional toll it left on you will always remain. The scars in your soul never disappear completely; they can only fade, just like scars on your body.
It was as if I was a flower. At first I was a small little seedling, closed up, unwelcoming and unbeautiful. For the longest time I stayed like that, but then sunshine came to me in the form of India Lovette, and I opened up to let myself see the light. I blossomed when I had India there. She showed me how much better life was when you opened up a little bit, and let yourself see the good in the world. I became the most beautiful blossom when I had India around. But when my sunshine disappeared, it was cold and dark once again. I closed myself off to the world; it was as if winter had come to my life. I had gone from a beautiful flower to a shriveled up, dying bud. But, out of nowhere, then Silas showed up and seemed to be the water, giving me life. He showed me that even though life was hard without the sunshine there, it was still possible to make it through. He helped me bloom a little bit again. While I didn’t open up like I did when India was in my life, he did help me share some of my feelings. The impact losing the sunshine had on me kept me from ever opening up to blossom the same way again, but Silas was able to assist me in making my life bearable even with the loss of the sunshine. He held my hand and we went through the dark together, giving each other our own little light. While the sun may have been gone, we were still able to survive.
I know that I never would have opened up to Silas if I hadn’t known for a fact that he felt the exact same way that I did. I had a hard time trusting people that would say “I’m so sorry, that must be hard, but I’m here for you.” I felt that if people didn’t understand where I was coming from, then they wouldn’t understand how I really feel, and they just wouldn’t get it. I didn’t want people around me that would pretend to understand me. I wanted people who were real. Silas was as real as can be. We cried together over India being gone. We both could talk about how much it hurt that she left us. We understood how the other felt about the whole ordeal because we knew that we were impacted in the same way. At the beginning, we were each other’s best friends, each other’s shoulder to cry on, and each other’s place to let out all of our emotions. But at some point, the strong friendship and emotional connection turned into love. The deep talks turned into flirting, the crying turned into kissing, and the sadness turned into a hatred of her. It was this hatred that kept us from feeling guilty about being together. She ran away; she obviously didn’t care about us. So why should we worry about moving on from our grief alone when we could be together and finally be happy again?
India’s running away ended up being the thing that forced me to be incredibly mature so young. To deal with the loss of the only person in the world that you trust is something that you can’t handle through the eyes of a typical fifteen year old. This applied to Silas as well. Our maturity led us to keep to ourselves because we couldn’t handle the ignorance and the lack of understanding that our peers possessed. We took on the world together, and I think we did a damn good job. We didn’t need anyone else. Having each other was enough. And that’s what love is: needing no one else, because nothing could ever measure up to the bond we shared.
In preparation for graduation tomorrow, I had to write my valedictorian speech. Needless to say, it caused a lot of internal debate. For the longest time, I couldn’t decide if I wanted to give the typical inspiration spiel or if I wanted to be real. The me before I met India would never have even considered taking the risk of showing her true colors. The me when India was in my life would have jumped at the chance to show what it was like to be real, and would have loved to jump out of her shell. But neither of those girls were the person I was now. This new Aspen had been hurt too many times to bare her soul without hesitation. But she also knew that keeping to herself and putting on a fake identity only caused self-disgust and regrets. I had written both speeches, knowing that I wouldn’t have been able to make a decision until right at that moment up there at the podium, with the eyes of all the students in the class of 2014 and their parents on me. I had a feeling that no matter how much I would want to let it all out in front of everyone, and tell my story, at the last second I would chicken out and use my unoriginal speech about “how far we’ve come in the past four years,” and “even though we’re parting ways and friendships may fade, the memories we’ve made will always stay.”
Silas was the one who gave me the idea of telling my story to everyone. He said he thought everyone should know how I dealt with so much and was still able to keep my s*** together enough to be named valedictorian. It was a very tempting offer, even though I was never the type to toot my own horn. The idea of revealing some realism in a community of fake people was infectious. It got into my head, and so I wrote a speech in which everything was revealed. Whether or not I was actually going to read it aloud was still to be determined. That evening before graduation, after I finally finished the two final drafts of my speeches, I phoned Silas, demanding he come over and read them both. The fact that it was 1:30 in the morning had escaped me since I had been so focused on perfecting the papers, and he was obviously irritated with my forgetfulness.
“Aspen? The f*** are you doing? It’s one in the morning.”
“S***, it is?” I exclaimed, shooting to sit up straight in bed, my eyes darting to glance at the clock. It was indeed, 1:34 a.m. I winced, bracing myself for the expected lecture and possible yelling that was about to come from my boyfriend.
It didn’t come. Instead he sighed, “Yes, it is. And while I am bothered that you decided to call me this late, I’m assuming it’s important. What do you need?” I felt guilty that the request I was about to present to him was so petty and I interrupted his sleep on the night before such an important day.
“Nevermind, it’s really stupid. I didn’t realize it was so late—if I had, there was no way I would’ve woken you up, I’m really sor-” My anxious and rushed apology was cut off by Silas chuckling.
“You can’t wake me up and then decide not to tell me!” He laughed, and even though I couldn’t see him, I knew that he was smiling that ‘Silas Taylor’ smile, his dimples popping out and his eyes sparkling.
Relieved he wasn’t too upset, I responded, “I just wanted you to come over and read the final copies of my speeches; I know it’s really stupid. I just could’ve sworn it wasn’t even ten o’clock yet.”
“Aspen,” Silas’s tone was dead serious.
“Yeah?”
“You’re fucking adorable, and I’d love to come over and read your speeches, but it’s really late, and I think I can hold on until you give it tomorrow. I mean unless you really want me to come over, I think it can wait,” This was his way of telling me, ‘okay, this was a waste of time, but I love you anyway’ in a nice way. I smiled at his effort to be the sweetest boyfriend in the world, even at ungodly hours.
“No, it can wait. Goodnight, Silas.”
“Goodnight, beautiful,” he whispered before hanging up.
I was far too alert to get to sleep immediately, my mind filled with thoughts of the coming day. There were so many things about tomorrow that I was nervous about. The speech, for one was causing all kinds of stomach churning. But not only that, it was the first time that my mother and father would be forced to be in the same vicinity for more than an hour or two since they divorced six years ago. That alone was enough for me to need a double dose of my anxiety medication. Then, after we went out to our “family luncheon” I was off to my “friend’s” house to get ready for the graduation party being thrown by Hunter Malcom, the rich, popular boy that the entire school had been obsessed with since sixth grade. I hadn’t been to a big blowout party since India had run away. That kind of social situation was one I only ever enjoyed when India was by my side. However, it was one Silas had always loved, and he had given up so much for me in our relationship, so I knew I had to give him one night to be a boy that didn’t get home until dawn, drink until he passes out, and skinny dip in a $500,000 pool.
All of the stress about tomorrow had been building up for years. I had ignored the weight the pressure and anxiety had put on me, but suddenly it seemed to all pile up to a point where I couldn’t ignore it anymore because it was right in front of my face. Graduation Day was here. In a little less than twelve hours, I would no longer be a high school student. This thought scared me more than I ever thought it would. It made me nauseous to think about how college was a mere summer away. Three months left of being a carefree teenager seemed like a long time, but summer had always passed far too quickly. It didn’t take a detective to deduce that this coming summer wasn’t going to be any different. Silas and I had so many plans for our final summer as children: we were going to take a road trip all over America, stopping at the best beaches for me, and amusement parks for him. We were going to an indie movie festival, a few concerts, and then at the end of August, we were going to spend a week in Hawaii together. It was sure to be a wonderful distraction from the impending adulthood, but it was also sure to pass in an instant.
I was going to go to Princeton in the fall to major in psychology, and Silas was headed to Penn State on a football scholarship. We were a little over three hours away from each other, so we could visit each other every other weekend or so. Even so, the distance seemed too far, especially considering how in high school, we’d see each other for hours after school almost every day. The sudden shift from seeing him nonstop to barely getting to be with him at all was sure to hurt immensely. It even hurt to picture going back to the antisocial girl who spent her free time locked up in her bedroom with only books and the internet for company.
It was never that I was bad at making friends; no, people liked me well enough, and I probably could be a social butterfly if I wanted to. The thing was: I didn’t want to. I had trouble connecting to people and trusting them. It’s easier to be alone; then you know nobody can hurt you because the only person you have is yourself. My entire life made it so trusting people and letting them in was so difficult. To reveal everything about myself, giving someone access to see my worst flaws, insecurities, and secrets…that was something I could never do all too often. Someone had to prove I could trust them for me to even consider tearing down the walls I’ve built so high. But once I saw how the world looked through more open eyes, I never wanted to go back. India’s abandonment did force me back into my own personal exile for a while, but I was quickly put back into the social atmosphere with Silas. While nothing could ever truly be as great as life with India, life with Silas came pretty close. Being social was a distraction from all the emotions thinking alone in your room brought up. A distraction from all of the pain I’ve gone through was precisely what I needed. Time spent with other people for the sheer purpose of having fun and enjoying myself was far better than I thought it would be. I was afraid to return to my state of being withdrawn from the world and I feared college would be the perfect trigger to lead me down that road.
After a while of tossing, turning, and thinking, I threw the covers off and wandered to my desk. On it were papers strewn all about. The top pages were the speeches I had prepared for the coming day, full of scratches and notes that I included to perfect them. Each word was chosen specifically to give the precise impact I wished to have on the audience. One would make them cheer; the other would most likely cause tears. The decision still seemed impossible of which one would be the one I felt was right. Underneath the stapled papers were old homework assignments, birthday cards from elementary school, and at the very bottom was the letter I had drafted to India two years ago, the one I would never get to deliver. I opened the envelope that had teardrops smudging the pen ink I had used to write her name on it. My stomach dropped twenty feet and I slowly lifted the envelope and looked at it for a good five minutes before I gained the courage to open it with shaky hands.
I swallowed hard and managed to get the enveloped opened within a somewhat timely fashion. I removed the notebook paper and unfolded it before sitting on the stiff wooden chair and letting myself get lost in the words I wished that India could somehow see one day.
Dear India,
Well for starters, I hate you. You’re a b**** and a coward. You are fucking selfish and a liar. You abandoned me and have ruined the chances of me ever opening up to anyone else. You’ve proved that everyone will hurt me if I give them my trust. I can’t trust anybody else ever again because of the way you’ve hurt me. I will never forgive you for this.
That being said, I miss you. I miss you more than I’ve ever missed anyone or anything in my entire life. You meant…no you mean the world to me. You are literally the only person I’ve shared anything remotely personal with. You are the one soul in the universe that knows about how my parents’ fights affected me—really you’re the only person who knows any of my secrets. You are the only person I’ve ever loved. No not like that. I’m straighter than a white girl’s hair. But my parents…I always wanted to love them but it was always difficult for me to open my heart up to them. You of all people know that. With you, opening up was easy, and even a good thing. You are the person that turned my life around and I never really told you that. I just sort of hoped you would somehow know. It’s pretty embarrassing to actually admit. But you are. I don’t think I can ever really love again if you’re not there. Nevertheless, thank you for giving me the chance to do so, if only once.
Life without you seems impossible. I really wish that it was the same way for you, but I understand if it’s not. More than anything else in the world, I wish I could see you in person just one more time, get one more hug. Because if I had known that would be my last chance to ever see you, I would’ve squeezed you so much tighter.
You are now, and will always be my best friend,
Aspen
I reread it about five times before finally placing the piece of notebook paper back onto the table. Maybe the letter could’ve been written better, but it stated exactly how I felt. The longing I had felt at the time for her to be able to read this letter returned, stronger than ever. I didn’t know if she ever really even thought about me after running away from here, but I still wanted her to somehow know the effect she had on me, and how much she meant to me. When the longing subsided, it was replaced with the sadness that she was gone; she’d never read it. I felt the tears pool into my eyes. Tomorrow was the day India and I had planned to get away to Ocean City together and sneak into clubs. We had planned it the first time we had a sleepover in which I vented to her about my life, well my life beneath the surface. How had I lived two years without her by my side?
For about a minute, I sat there reminiscing over all of the memories—good and bad—that the letter had stirred inside of me. India was the only person who had made me feel so much. The best and worst times of my life were all because of India Lovette. Suddenly, I jerked myself out of that emotional head space and climbed into bed, instantly so mentally and emotionally tired from investing thoughts into India. She tired me out, when she was with me, physically, and since she’s been gone, mentally. It only took a few minutes to fall asleep due to the sudden exhaustion, and even though it was the last thing I wanted to do, I dreamed of good times of the past with India.

Morning greeted me with my mother bustling in, all cheery and at five in the morning, her perkiness only irritated me. She sat a scone and a frappucino from Starbucks onto my bedside table, merrily announcing. “It’s the big day! My baby is all grown up! Wake up sunshine!” My rude response was a groan as I threw the covers off of me and got up to face the day. Mom didn’t stay for long, running off to complete the next task in preparation for my graduation.

Trudging along to the closet, I picked up my nice black heels from off the floor and stopped by my dresser to grab some undergarments. Since I’ve always been superstitious, I decided that because I was definitely going to need some luck today, I matched my bra and thong. I opened my closet doors to see the elegant, white, lace sundress. It was beautiful, and it made me look as if I had curves when in reality, I had nothing close. I had always been thin and wiry, regardless of how much I ate. I knew I was skinny, and so I never complained about my weight like most girls. My own self-confidence with my appearance had always been decent. I knew I wasn’t ugly, but I was nothing special. As I grabbed the dress and moved into my bathroom I saw myself in the mirror, and as always, felt indifferent towards the plain girl in front of me.

My looks were some that would describe a fairly pretty girl if you just rattle off my traits: green eyes; olive skin; round face with small ears; and long, pale, blond hair. I had nothing to complain about in terms of my physical appearance, but I was also lacking in something striking that made me unique in the way that I looked. I mean, I had always liked how my eyes were a light green, almost the color of the inside of a lime. But apart from that, I was a Plain Jane that made nobody look twice. Not ugly, but not pretty either.

My hair hung in my natural loose waves, and so after I had dressed myself, I booted up the curling iron. After all, it was a special day, and I found it best to look somewhat put together. Since my hair was thin and curled easily, it only took me twenty minutes, and only fifteen to apply my makeup. I took a few more glances into the mirror. I had put on a little more makeup than usual, making my eyes stand out even more so than on an average day. I looked soft and feminine with my hair curled, and the dress really did look nice, cinching at my waist and flowing out, giving the illusion of curves. While I didn’t feel as if I had just gone on an episode of What Not To Wear, making a complete transformation, I felt as if I looked much prettier than usual, as if maybe I could stand out in a crowd for once. Even though looks were superficial, it was nice to feel attractive enough to get positive attention, especially on such an important day.

I made my way over to my bedside table and while the scone looks positively scrumptious, the butterflies in my stomach causing high nerves would not have allowed me to keep it down. So I picked up the frozen drink and took a few pleasant sips before packing my purse for the impending day. I started with the basic necessities like my wallet, keys, phone, gum, a book, a bag of a few makeup items, and band aids. I then added my two speeches that were sitting on my desk and my anxiety meds; I was definitely going to need them for today. I grabbed my drink and trotted downstairs, walking carefully in the five inch pumps.

“Aspen!” my little half-brother, Tyler came running over to me. It was lucky that my mom had married such a great guy like Adam. It made her so happy that I had a good relationship with my stepfather. And what made her even happier was how much I adored his two kids, Vikki and Leo, from his first relationship in addition to Tyler, who was four and a little happy bomb that would go off twice a day. Vikki was one year older than I was, so we were more like friends than sisters. While she was never someone I felt comfortable talking to about anything serious, she was a fun person to be around, with an infectious positive aura. Leo was four years older, and had graduated from college at Stanford the previous week. He was a genius, and since he was almost as purposefully isolated as I was, we had a good rhythm of sitting in the same room, not saying a word, each doing our own thing, and somehow bonded.

“Hey kiddo!” I smiled, grabbing Tyler by the armpits and hoisting him up to give him a kiss on the cheek and spin him around. He instantly erupted into a fit of giggles. When I placed him on the ground, I turned and looked at my mother. She was grinning, and held her hand to her chest as she looked me up and down. I walked over and held her other hand. “What is it mom?”

She smiled sadly. “You’re just so beautiful, honey. I’m so proud of you and I can’t believe my girl is all grown up. You’re going to do amazing today,” Her statements had such a sense of finality and her tone made it so the words she said seemed like facts. I appreciated that way she was able to speak. It made it so when she was comforting me, or reassuring me of something, there was no doubt in my mind that what she was saying was true.

“Thank you Mommy. I love you so much,” I blushed and squeezed my mom’s hand, my voice quiet. She told me she loved me too and stood up and pulled me into a hug. A mother’s hug is something that nothing else in the world can come close to in terms of making someone feel safe and secure.

When we broke apart, Adam came in and asked us when we were planning on leaving. I glanced at the clock and said it would be best if we headed out within the next five minutes. Everybody ran around getting all their ducks in a row, and once everyone had everything in order, we all piled into the minivan. Once we were on the road, Adam turned around and said, “Vikki and Leo are going to meet us there and we’ll all find seats while you go get your cap and gown.”

“Sounds good to me.”

Tyler then spoke up randomly. “Why do you have to wear a gown? You’re already wearing a pretty dress.” Tyler’s innocence of being four was all too precious and made me love him even more. I longed to be in preschool once again, with fewer worries until I remembered that I’d have to go back to watching my parents get into such heated fights and then I pushed all those thoughts away. Today is a happy day, I thought. So be happy, goddammit.

“It’s not like a pretty gown that princesses wear, it’s more like a cloak, or a priest’s robe,” Mom explained, applying her makeup using the mirror in the sun visor expertly. Mom had always been more interested in looking good than I was. Practicality came before fashion for me, but not my mother. She was much more interested in being pretty. This could have had something to do with how when she was with my father, she always looked sad, tired, and overall much older than she actually was. Years seemed to vanish from her appearance when she started dating Adam. Her dark hair lost its grey strands, her green eyes brightened, and she gained weight so she wasn't so thin. Her face became far less sullen and sad. I always seemed to think about how much my parents' fighting had affected me, I often disregarded the toil it put my mother through. The emotional abuse she faced was far greater than mine, and I all too often forgot that. But looking at her in that moment, so happy with her family, so proud of her daughter, so beautiful even without the makeup on, I saw how she had moved on from all of the pain she used to face. I envied her ability to get past all the turmoil she had put up with. After all, I was still holding onto memories from years ago.

For the remainder of the car ride, I tuned out the idle chit-chat between my family members, thinking over everything about the day ahead of me. Now that the day was here, actually occurring, the mental debate over the speech I was going to give was so much more real. I actually had to decide within a few hours. With each passing second, I kept assessing the pros and cons of each speech. If I gave the stereotypical speech everyone wanted to hear, I’d please the entire crowd, and not stand out as a unique valedictorian, I’d maybe make a few people cry, but there would be no harm done. But if I gave that speech, I would know I was lying my way through the entire thing, it would be fake, it wouldn’t be me. I had been fake for my entire life minus when I spent time with India and Silas. I was tired of pretending. However, if I gave the speech I wanted to give, all eyes would be on me, and all ears alert. I would be baring my soul and giving the whole school the ability to see the person I had hidden away, the person no one but two people in the entire world knew, and one of those people wasn’t even around anymore. The idea of doing that was scary. The choice was impossible, but I had limited time to make it.

Pulling into the school parking lot was yet another stomach-jolting reminder of how today was really the day. It was here, and I couldn’t avoid it. Students were hugging their parents for the last time as high school students. Parents were already crying and their kids hadn’t even put on the cap and gown. More cars were there than I’d ever seen, more than dances, more than the football state championship, more than plays, more than even orientation back in freshman year. Now that was a day I had always remembered.

I didn't want to get out of the car. I didn't want to actually do this. I wanted to go back. I longed to relive my entire childhood; the first run had gone so terribly. I had been ready for this day for years, I had wanted to badly to grow up and live a life I had complete control over. And now it was here, and I was no longer ready. I sat there staring at the commotion outside for too long before finally slowly unbuckling my seat-belt and getting out of the car. Mom and Adam called out final “goodbyes” and “good lucks” and “I love yous” while taking Tyler over to the school building. I wanted to get back in the car and sit there until I felt ready to go inside, but unfortunately, a girl who considered me one of her best friends spotted me and squealing, ran over to me and gave me a hug.

“Aspen! Hey! Omigosh you look so cute! Are you excited?” The petite brunette in front of me was grinning, her usually curly hair was straightened and her hazel eyes looked so happy and bright. She was wearing a tribal crop top with a skater skirt, a strip of stomach showing between the two. Her name was Caitlyn Fisher, and she was part of the group of girly friends I made after India left. I was never very close with them, though they believed I was. The other girls were Hannah Loch, Jenna Roberts, and Elise Carson. They were rather dull people to be around, interested in the basic sorts of things girls liked to do. They went to parties every Friday night to bang strangers, to the mall every Saturday to waste their Daddy’s money on petty things, and to church every Sunday to apologize for it all.

I gave her the sweetest smile I could muster. “Of course I am! This is so awesome, we’re finally getting out of this hellhole,” I exclaimed, my voice full of faux enthusiasm. We started moving towards the school building together, and I could feel everyone looking at us. We were the quote unquote “popular girls” of our school, and everyone wanted to live our lives. They were so stupid, determining our lives as blessed based upon the rumors about us, the way guys called us ‘hot,’ and the way we looked. They looked up to us for what we were on the surface. They would never bother to look deeper to find out about how Caitlyn used to be bulimic, or how my parents fought all the time, or how Jenna couldn’t speak until she was six. People’s satisfaction with judging people based off the surface of someone’s existence was part of why it was hard for me to get close to anyone.

“I know right! You’re going to Hunter’s party tonight, right?”

“I was planning on it.”

“Aspen Oliver going to a party? I must be hearing things!” Caitlyn and I turned around to see Hannah standing there, looking unfairly sexy as always. Hannah was the one in the group with the best body. She was tall, with dirty blond hair that was curled loosely so it was much hotter than my tight ringlets. Her skintight floral dress clung in all the right places, showing off her large bust, flat stomach, and round bum. Her legs went on for miles in heels that I would never dare risk putting on.

Caitlyn, being Caitlyn, let out a high-pitched squeak and squeezed Hannah as she did me only a minute ago. Caitlyn had a permanent positive attitude that most people adored. For me, it was cute, but got old fast. The world wasn’t rainbows and sunshine and I could never understand how some people acted as if it was. But being friends with these kinds of girls was part of my façade. I had to act as if my life was in check. It was how I coped. Fake it till you make it, I always told Silas when he asked why I spent my time around girls I really didn’t particularly like. Pretending my life was exactly the way I wanted it made it easier to enjoy to at least some extent.

"Well, believe it or not, she is coming tonight! I bet Silas told her there was no way he could miss the graduation blowout, it’s unacceptable,” Caitlyn laughed as we walked inside the building and headed down the hallway to the dressing rooms near the auditorium where the ceremony was going to take place. Even with all of the rehearsals preceding today, I still didn’t feel ready. As we walked through the halls, people were standing in clusters talking, with their caps and gown already on. My stomach dropped. It was becoming more and more real by the second.

Hannah laughed, “It is unacceptable, I just hope you don’t judge me once you see how I act at parties,” She did a little shimmy as we walked into the storage room to retrieve our own caps and gown. When I got to mine at Oliver, Aspen, I reached out and just held it for a few seconds before gaining the courage to pull it off the rack.

"I already know you're a whore," I joked, walking out of the storage, pulling my gown behind me with a confidence that was faker than Hannah's spray tan. She flipped me off playfully as we ducked into the dressing room.

Suddenly surrounded by girls pulling on the gowns and figuring out which way the tassel goes, I instinctively moved towards a corner, but my friends were headed over to the center of the room where Jenna and Elise were talking, already dressed. Elise's flaming red hair was left naturally curly, but was tamed with product so no frizz was apparent, and Jenna's light brown hair was pulled into an elegant side bun.

They began talking about plans for the party, discussing whose house to meet up at to get ready, what to wear, who was going, what kind of drinks would be there, and other details I didn't particularly care about, but faked an interest in. It was decided we'd get ready at Elise's, we'd all wear high-waisted shorts and tight crop tops of various colors and patterns, that everyone we wanted to talk to would be going, that there would be unbelievable amounts of alcohol, and it would be 'hella fun.'

When all five of us were ready, we went outside into the hallway and I excused myself to look for Silas. I weaved my way through the crowd, looking for a certain dark-haired tall boy. It took a few minutes, and many compliments from people who I barely knew and congratulations on being named valedictorian before I spotted my boyfriend talking to Hunter and their friend Brian. When he spotted me, his face lit up, and I gave him the first genuine smile of mine of the day.

He greeted me with a tight hug, "Hey there superstar, you ready?" He whispered, his lips near my ear. I loved him for knowing the right thing to say. I didn't want to hear 'are you excited?' again, that's not what I was thinking about. I was far more wondering whether or not I was ready for this, and Silas just knew that, I didn't have to tell him or anything. He just knew me. That's not something many people could say.

"Maybe, I'll tell you as soon as I figure that out," I replied as we broke apart, and he wrapped his arm around my tiny waist. I liked how much smaller I was than him. It made me feel safe. I gave a friendly smile to his two friends.

Brian turned back to Hunter, "So your party tonight, man, is there gonna be good stuff?" Brian was a hardcore pothead, and everyone knew it. I was firmly opposed to alcohol and drugs since whenever my dad would drink, the fights between him and my mother were far worse, and while I had no personal experiences with drugs, India's older brother had gotten busted with pot back when she was in fifth grade and he was in tenth, and her experience made me hate it just as much as she did.

"I'm hosting it, aren't I? Of course there will be," Hunter commented cockily. He had always had an ego that made him both the most entertaining and the most irritating human being on the planet. He rambled on about all the amazing features his party would have, and how it would be the best one he's ever thrown. Though I wanted to be more excited about going to this party, nothing Hunter or anyone said changed my attitude towards it.

I felt my phone buzz and I looked at it. My jaw clenched: it was from my dad.

Dad: Good luck today, sweetheart. I love you and am so proud to call you my daughter.

It wasn't what I wanted to see. Unlike my mother, my father's new lover was someone I highly disapproved of, and my hatred towards her drove a wedge between my father and I. Once, I got into a screaming match with him over it and ended up leaving the house and calling Leo to come pick me up and take me back to Mom's house. That was sort of my way to get a glimpse into what my mom had to go through for years. I hadn't been with my dad in since that fight which was before India ran away, and my parents hadn't both been in the same room since my eighth grade graduation and that hadn't turned out too well either. It's not like my father never tried to make amends; he did and quite frequently, but I always ignored his calls and texts. Life with my mother was going well, and I didn't want to see him again after the last time. But today, I didn't have a choice in the matter.

My fingers did a little dance over the keyboard while I was trying to figure out what I could say that would be polite, yet distant so he didn't think I was happy he was coming. Silas looked over at my phone and gave my side a squeeze. "Hey, don't worry about that bastard right now. Today is about you."

Putting my phone back into my purse, I gave him a kiss on the cheek. "You're the best."

"I know. So have you decided what speech you're going to give?" He asked.

I shrugged. "I honestly don't think I'm going to decide until I get up to that podium. I can't pick, I just keep going back and forth," I told him honestly. I had my purse held tightly in one hand, knowing I'd have to take the speech out and put it in my locker before the ceremony began. I glanced at the clock to see I had about ten minutes to spare.

"Yeah I know what you mean," Silas said understandingly.

I got onto my tiptoes and whispered in his ear, "So, I need to go put this in my locker before the ceremony starts, it's on the other side of the school so we'll get a minute of privacy," I bit my lip and looked up at him. Grinning mischievously, he moved his hand to hold mine and he started pulling me towards the English wing on the other side of the building.

"You little sneak," he laughed, and when there were only a few people around, he turned and picked me up bridal style towards my locker. I squealed with delight at his action. I wrapped my arms around his neck and when we reached my locker a minute later, he let me down. I started unlocking my locker, and as I did so, Silas wrapped his arms around me from behind and snuck kisses onto my neck.

I secured my purse into my locker and removed the speeches and tucked them into my bra for the moment before turning around and placing my hands on Silas's chest so he was able to kiss me on the mouth. He pushed me gently onto the locker and let his hands graze around my small frame, caressing my face and pulling me close to him. After a few seconds, we were open mouth kissing and within a few more our tongues were wrestling. Being there with him in that moment was the kind of intimacy I loved. Just us, having our moment alone. Other people weren't necessary.

We kissed and kissed for a few minutes before I finally moved my head so all he could do was plant kisses on my neck, and I started to speak, "Okay, we should probably head back downstairs soon." But Silas just groaned as his lips found my sweet spot and began sucking. "Silas, we've got to go," I giggled, trying to ignore the pleasure he was giving me. "Don't you stick me with a hickey before I have to give my speech."

Finally, he stopped, his hands on my waist, mine on his chest. "How else will the world know you're mine?"

"Believe me, they already know," I smiled, "Now let's go. We don't want to be late."