There's always a brighter future | Teen Ink

There's always a brighter future

By Estrellaa BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
Estrellaa BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida

Author's note: Now it’s just me and my brother, we have no place to go, nobody to go to and jobless with absolutely no future. Sure we have more than enough money but we can’t just live off that, there has to be more that we can do. Its day 1 since we left home from our families; yes I mean families we both come from different ones, but were still brothers.

Now it’s just me and my brother, we have no place to go, nobody to go to and jobless with absolutely no future. Sure we have more than enough money but we can’t just live off that, there has to be more that we can do. Its day 1 since we left home from our families; yes I mean families we both come from different ones, but were still brothers.
Not too long ago though, we had no idea that the other one existed, as far as we knew we were all alone, misunderstood. Yeah I had a family and a good one, they loved me very much and I loved them. A brother as well but I always felt so different compared to them, it all makes sense why now. But Anyway the sad part is that we were poor, I know, I know money isn’t everything but to tell you the truth we barley ate 3 meals a day, plus I had to work all day to bring some money home. I’m only 12 and I don’t think 12 year olds should be working, on the contrary, I see many boys of my age go to school every day. Unfortunately we don’t have money for me to go to school and with mom and dad working it’s just not enough, I want to become a doctor, but it seems more like a dream than a goal to me. Many people who live around us don’t get to either, but those in the other community go every day because they are all rich. It disgusts me though because they are given the opportunity to go and they waste it by saying they hate school and would prefer to not go, they obviously don’t know an opportunity when they see it. For example my brother, ok I know it sounds weird but my brother, Robert was rich, just to tell you his last name even sounded rich, Futzperald. And he was one of those kids who didn’t care for school. Before we met his life was different he explained it to me and it went a little like this.

Waking up to eggs and biscuits was my favorite part of waking up every day, but after the excitement came the worse SCHOOL! I’ve never liked school, I don’t get the point of it, having to wake up early and listen to a bunch of adults tell me what makes sense in life and what doesn’t. There’s no need for that, I can perfectly experiment on my own and find out what’s true and what’s not, plus what makes me so sure that they’re not just making something up to brain wash me. I’ve had to go to school since I was 5 and I’m 12 now, I’ve had to deal with school for 7 years! That’s crazy nobody has time for that. A complete waste of my time! All my friends agree with me, life would be easier if we just stayed home from school every day and didn’t have to go. I wish I could but dad won’t let me, he can be a pain sometimes, especially when it comes to school.day after day I would see all the little boys that were in the other community have more fun than I did. They wouldn't have to go to school at all and they got to stay home I wonder what life was like for them, maybe easier. Sure, he said we had it easier because we could have an education and they couldn't have the opportunity, but I didn't care. So since I was one of those kids dad my dad told me to do something and I would do the opposite, I decided to take a little road trip.

One day when I was headed to school I decided that instead going to school I was going to visit the community right next to me, the one with the kids that got to stay home. Dad had no clue about what I was doing and mom was never even around so how would she know. As I was exploring the community I met a boy, his name was Matthew Grote, at first it was weird because we kinda looked alike and then I found out that he was also my age, soon enough we started talking and found out more about each other. Unfortunately I found out that he was poor and he didn't go to school not because didnt want to, but because he couldn't. I don't know if what I felt was pity or sincere anger towards myself, I have never felt like this before, this is when I realized that my dad had a point, I was actually lucky to go to school. As Matthew was telling me his story and his dreams, I was telling him mine as well, he said he wants to be a doctor. while he was saying that I realized that I didn't have a goal in life, how was I going to end up. Then all of a sudden I realized my goal at the moment was to help Matthew out and help him reach his goal and maybe in the process he could help me figure out my final goal. Not only that, but at the same time I was realizing that he is one of the smartest and most responsible boy I've ever met, and he deserves to go to school more than any of the boys that go to my school including me. The fact that he has dreams of becoming a doctor, while being poor taught me that money isn't what it's all about. I have money and I have nothing to look forward to with it, he has everything except money.

This is when we decided to take action and do something about our lives, we thought of many different ideas to fix our problem, but nothing seemed right. Then I came up with the idea to bring him home, maybe mom and dad are reasonable and can help Matthew out, I don't think they would mind because we have money lying around the house. Matthew decided that he would tell his parents later but if there was an opportunity to go to school his parent would mind never the less they would be happy, so off we went. As we entered the community Matthew saw many houses he had never dreamed of, he was as surprised as I was when I entered his community. It was like you were walking into a completely different world. Soon we arrived to my house and Matthew almost fainted, he told me that there were times when they would go to bed hungry because they didn't have enough money. As he told me I thought of how, while he was suffering I was enjoying of feast and sometimes even throwing away the food we had just because I didn't like it. But I didn't mention it to a Matthew because I didn't want to seem snobby I had made my first real friend and I didn't want to spoil. I had friends at school but they were all rich and cared about what social class you were in, so pretty much if you had money, and I knew a real friendship wasn't that. Matthew started treating me like a friend as well, he told me about everything, and once we got inside he even joked about him being his long lost brother and to take him in, because that's where he belongs. He has a great sense of humor just like dad, and talking about dad, he wasn't hone. Patiently we waited, Matthew seemed so excited, I was bored though so I told him I could show him around. At that moment, I asked him how his house was and he just dropped his head, he said that the rain would go through the rooftop and the water was never clean, but he mentioned that his parents and brother were all he had and that filled him up. So we continued waking around til dad got home, and when he did he looked at Matthew in a way, I had not recognized at first kind of disgusted by the way Matthew looked, he even made him stand while we were talking with him. We told him about our problem and dad started changing his expression on his face, and he started smiling and he agreed to help Matthew out, I was so happy but more was Matthew. It seemed like everything was gonna turn upside down for the better and Matthew chose to run home and tell his parents so I went with him, I wanted to see their reactions, overfilled with joy. But on the contrary, as we arrived his parents welcom es d us both in, they gave me the same look my dad gave to Matthew when I introduced them. Instead this time Matthew introduced them to me at this moment we started talking to them and Matthew seemed so excited to be telling them that he would finally be able to become a doctor, all thanks to the Futzperald. Then all of a sudden I saw both of their faces drop, as if they had seen a ghost, and that's when they started saying that he couldn't accept the help from my family and that we would expect something in return and thay we were all just a bunch of snobbish rich people thay all they cared about was money. Me and Matthew didn't understand they seemed happy with the idea, until my last name was mentioned. That made me think, sure I'm not the smartest but I can connect the dots., something wasn't right and I could feel it. So while Matthew was talking to his parents, I snuck into their room, I know I shouldn't have and this could've gotten me kicked out for good and never be able to see Matthew again but I had to. I searched through many different papers and that's when I found the golden ticket, Matthews birth certification. And as I had thought something was fishy it had the parents section empty, this meant that either they didn't write it, which is strange why wouldn't they, or they weren't Matthews parents. I came out of the room and they questioned me why I went in their room and yelled at me to leave, but I couldn't with out telling Matthew first. I dropped the bomb on him and told him that they weren't his real parents. All of a sudden I became quiet nobody said a word, it was like this for 5 straight minutes, Matthew burst into tears and started questioning his parents why had the done it. The worst part was that everything was true because they didn't even try to deny it either, they kind of dropped their head in shame, but also tried to explain things. Yes, he was adopted but they had raised him like their own and they loved him very much. Matthew didn't change his face, that didn't change the fact that he had a whole different family, which he belonged to but had no clue about. Matthew was so mad he couldn't stay one more day there, so I invited him to stay the night at my house and then we could fix things the next day. His parents didn't try to stop Matthew, they weren't bad they just wanted to have a child and chose to adopt Matthew, and I get that. But Matthew was hurt and he needed to calm down and being in the same house with his parents wasn't such a good idea. We go home and Matthew goes to bed, he's had a rough day but I'm not tired so I go downstairs and talk to my dad. I told him everything that happened and that Matthew was adopted and about how bad his parents felt. That's when dad told me that he had a story to, and the before I was born mom had, had a baby boy but they gave him up because dad had lost his work and they were basically poor and felt that giving the baby up was the best thing to do. Later they improved their economic situation and 2 years later had me. Sad said they never looked for the baby because he was no longer part of their life and they had me and that's all they needed. Then I went to my room and I realized thinking to myself that everything was so weird, Matthews parents freaked out when they heard my last name and Matthews adopted and my parents gave up a kid around the same time and only left me with one thing, Matthews my brother! I couldn't believe it but that's the only way everything made sense. Now the thing was what was I going to do. I went to bed and the next day I woke up and went straight to mom and dad and I asked them if Matthew could be the boy and they asked me when his birthday was and matched the same day mom was in the hospital and it was true Matthew was my brother and not even half brother but full blood brother. I was happy but sad because Matthews going through the worst part realizing everything but he'll get happy when I tell him he's my brother. But that was when my parents told me not to tell him anything because he's no longer part of our family and when they gave him up they did and the past is the past and having him know that will just mess up the way their family is. I just couldn't believe what my parents were saying they were so cold hearted so instead of listening to them I matched up to my room and told Matthew the truth. Again he burst out in tears but these were of joy, he was happy that he finally had his real family. He ran down excited, I tried to stop him because I knew what my parents thought and it was just going to make him feel worse, so I ran down after him but he had already blurted out what he knew. Both my parents heart less told him it was true but they couldn't keep him and he was no longer part of their family, he had never been. Also they said they wouldn't help him because they didn't want to get involved with him and they wanted to get rid of their past.

Matthew started crying, he was my older brother but I had to protect him from our own family, I got so mad at our parents that I told them they would never see us again, I went to my dad's safe and took a million dollars, it seemed like enough. So I told Matthew to pack his stuff, the little that he had and told him we were leaving for good and going to start a new life together as brothers, the one their parents priced from them. Matthew agreed, we didn't say good bye we just left. We had one day from being away from home and we didn't know what to do. But I did have and Idea and that was enroll my older brother in school once he was in school we stayed In a hotel and we lived there for the most time we just studied and I worked I found a job 3 years later, my brother continues studying there's not much that we've done.

20 years have passed since we left and we haven't seen our families since then, we miss them we also feel bad with what went down. Matthew never got to say goodbye to his family, I wonder how they are they weren't in good shape when we left and I know for sure dad never helped them out. Matthews had it good though he finally became a doctor. And he has a nice family, a wife and a child. I also have a family, me and my wife and my little daughter. We all still visit each other and we're very close, he's the best brother I have. He's my motor and I'm glad we left he accomplished his dream and I accomplished mine by helping him out. We missed out on all the years but he got being a doctor out of that. It came with a price and a big one but I'm proud.
Then one day, I received a call. It was mom and dad. We talked and they told me that they were sorry and they missed us. I told them I wouldn't go back til they accepted my brother which is their son. They said they would and they were sorry, I asked them how Matthews family was, and they told me they had helped them out and now they lived in a better house and food never missed their table. We went to meet them with our families and they cried when they saw us they were overjoyed, they cried seeing their grandchildren and the beautiful wives we had. We all said sorry for leaving, and they had waited so long for us to come back. They accepted that giving up Matthews was the worst thing they ever did accepted nd following that was letting us go. We all ate and spent time together, our kids were so happy to meet them and everyone made up. Life is filled with hard choices and people make mistakes but Matthews dream came true and became a successful doctor.