Texas Road Trip | Teen Ink

Texas Road Trip

By kaylinsoccer7, kings mounatin, North Carolina
kaylinsoccer7, Kings Mounatin, North Carolina

You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option

Author's note: This story is based on a true story (mine). All the event that occur in the story has occurred to me. This story was really hard for me to write, but it helped me get out all of my emotions.

Texas Road Trip
It was July 4, and my family and I were on our way to Texas to visit my grandpa John, his daughter Sadie, and her son Ethan for the week. It was a long ride and I was so excited to finally get there. My cousin Candace and I immediately jumped out of the car and ran to the horse pasture to look at all the horses while my dad, step mom Wanda, Aunt Jessica, and Uncle James unloaded the car.

When we finally got settled and chose which guest room we would each stay in, we all went horseback riding. I rode with my cousin because she was experienced and has horses of her own and I was scared. I thought to myself, “This can’t get any better.” We rode for hours and after riding in the car all day I was tired, so tired that I fell asleep on my cousin as we rode because it was so relaxing. When we finally arrived at the house, they woke me up to help get the saddles and reins off the horses.

I guess I got a sudden boost of energy because I raced my cousin back to the house. When we got to the house, we had to wait on the others to unlock the door, or so we thought, but we found out that in Texas people don’t lock their doors and cars because everyone knows better than to steal anything, because people in Texas always have firearms. We walked in to find my Aunt Sadie and our cousin Ethan. They already had supper ready for us, so we ate, and then my cousins and I all ran outside to play in the yard.

It was starting to get dark, and we were all called in to get ready for bed because we had a big day tomorrow, and we needed to get some sleep. I asked what we were doing tomorrow, and my dad said, “It’s a surprise now go get in the shower, brush your teeth, and get in the bed.” I immediately started preparing for bed, but I had to hurry so my cousins could get ready for bed too. Our parents let us sleep in sleeping bags in the living room to watch TV while we fell asleep.

The next morning we woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs cooking. We got up and went to the kitchen to wait for breakfast to get done. It was kind of a slow morning because everyone was moving so slow. My step mom was making coffee, my dad, Ethan, and Uncle James were still in the bed, Aunt Sadie and Aunt Jessica was in the kitchen cooking, Grandpa John was feeding the horses, and Candace and I were at the table waiting for breakfast. When Grandpa John got in from feeding the horses, he rounded everyone up into the kitchen for breakfast. We all sat at the table and ate while we talked. Aunt Jessica asked my cousins and I if we slept well.
“I did” said Ethan and I and Candace just nodded.
“Do we have any livermush?” said Candace.
“Not in Texas.” said Aunt Sadie.
Candace just nodded and continued to eat.

We got finished with breakfast, and washed dishes and cleaned up the house, and then my Aunt Sadie reminded us of our surprise. After we loaded up into the car, Candace asked where we were going, but they wouldn’t tell us. It felt like forever before we got there. we left at about nine o’clock and arrived there at ten o’clock. My cousins and I jumped out of the car and looked around, but we still didn’t know where we were.
“Where are we?” I asked.
“Kelly, we are at the biggest rodeo in town!” I was so happy because I always wanted to go to a rodeo.
“Guess what, Kelly,” said Aunt Jessica.
“What?” I said.
“Candace is riding one of Grandpa John’s horses in the rodeo today. That’s why Grandpa, Aunt Sadie, and Ethan drove the truck to pull the horse trailer to bring one of Grandpa’s best horses for her to ride.” said Aunt Jessica.
“Whoa, I didn’t sign up for this.” said Candace.
“So you don’t want to?” said Aunt Jessica.
“Well, what if I don’t win I don’t want to disappoint you.” said Candace.
“You don’t have to ever worry about disappointing me. I will always be proud of you no matter what.” said Aunt Jessica.
“Thanks mom; I’ll do it.” said Candace.
“You don’t have to do it if you don’t want to.” said Aunt Jessica.
“No I want to; the small rodeos back home are fun, so this should be fun too just bigger.” said Candace.
“Okay.” said Aunt Jessica.
“Let’s go then!” said Wanda.

We all went to help get the horse off the trailer to prepare him for the rodeo. We finally got everything done to prepare the horse for riding, and we just tied him up to the side of the horse trailer and went to look around the rodeo. Before we walked through the gates, we had to register our horse into the rodeo; then we went in. As we walked through the gates, my eyes widened with amazement at the sight of all the rides and cotton candy I saw. It was like a mini carnival I thought to myself. We all went to ride some rides and get some cotton candy. Then my dad, Wanda, Aunt Sadie, Ethan, Uncle James, and I took our seats to watch the rodeo while Aunt Jessica, Grandpa John, and Candace went to get ready to barrel race.

“Contestant number seven on deck,” announced the rodeo narrator.
“Thats Candace!” I said before I was interrupted by the voice of the rodeo narrator “What a run! That was contestant number six with a 15.8 second run.” Next thing you know, the narrator announced that Candace was up next.
“Here she comes!” said Dad.
Candace bolted through the gates and around the first barrel then around the second, but going around the third barrel, she bumped it and it wobbled, but she continued on but the barrel was still wobbling after she left the arena. Finally, it maintained to stay up and the crowd cheer when the rodeo narrator announced that Candace ran a standing 13.4 second run.
No one else that barrel raced beat Candace’s time, and she won first place. We went home after the rodeo was over, and since rodeos last all day, by the time we got home, it was time to get ready for bed. I asked if we could sleep in the living room again, but our parents made us sleep in the rooms except Ethan, he was allowed to sleep on the couch because Aunt Sadie was going to wake him up later on to go home.
It was about an hour later before we were all woke up to the sound of screaming and arguing. I didn’t know what was going on, so I jumped out of bed and ran to the living room to see what was going on. I turned the corner to find Wanda, Aunt Sadie, and Aunt Jessica arguing. I was so scared that I blanked; I didn’t know what to do so all I did was sit there and watch. Grandpa John came and got all of us and sat us on the couch while he went over there to find out what happened. I sat there and listened; that’s all I could do was sit there. The yelling seemed to go on for ever; I just couldn’t believe that a trip that was going so well could turn into my worst nightmare. As I was thinking to myself, I was interrupted by Ethan telling me to come because they were heading outside to fight. I got up and ran to the door to see what was going on when my dad come running by me trying to put his coat on. He jumped in front of Wanda and told Aunt Jessica and Aunt Sadie to calm down and quit fussing.
“Well she assumed that Sadie and I were talking about her, but we never did and she said if we wanted to fight bring it on, so we came out here.” said Aunt Jessica.
I looked around, but I couldn’t find Grandpa John and I didn’t see his truck. I was just hoping he was doing something that was going to help this situation, because he was a wise man and he usually had the solutions to problems. It was about five minutes later when we arrived, and I just felt a sudden feel of relief. He got out of the truck and just went right past everyone and straight to bed.
“What was that?” I thought to myself.
“Why didn’t he help dad stop them from fighting?” Dad was still standing out there trying to calmed everyone down. They calm down a little bit, and Wanda realized that she shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions. Aunt Sadie grabbed Ethan’s stuff and they left. My dad, Wanda, and Aunt Jessica went to bed mad, and Candace, Uncle James, and I just sat there on the couch for a little while before we went to bed. The next morning everyone was quiet. The only sound was the sounds of the chirping birds. I didn’t think today was going to be a good day. There was no sign of Aunt Sadie and Ethan, but we ate breakfast without them. The whole time during breakfast, there was not a sound come from Aunt Jessica or Wanda. I wish they would just forget what happened and move on. Finally, Aunt Jessica decided to be the bigger person and apologize to Wanda, and after a few seconds Wanda accepted her apology and apologized also.
“Let’s all get on with our lives and have a good day. There is no reason to ruin a perfectly good day. I also must apologize for not stepping in and stopping y’all. I don’t know why I left, I just did.” said Grandpa John.

“It’s fine; we understand,” said Dad.

“I’m a lover, not a fighter,” joked Grandpa John.

We continued to eat, but now it wasn’t so awkward. Aunt Jessica got up from the table, went to her room, and come back out with a large bottle of liquor and said, “If anyone wants some, it’s up here in the cabinet; I brung it for us adults in case y'all wanted some. That means Candace and Kelly you are not allowed to have any, and make sure Ethan knows when we see then.”
“Okay,” I said.
“yes okay,” said Candace.
“I’m going to call Sadie to see where she is,” said Aunt Jessica
She picked up her phone and dialed Aunt Sadie, then she walked off into the other room. She came back and told us that Aunt Sadie was on her way, and that they just woke up.
“When she gets, here we are going to go ride the horses,” said Grandpa John.
“Okay that sounds fun,” said Wanda.
Aunt Sadie pulled up, and everyone went to there rooms to get ready to go. I went to my suitcase and got my clothes went to the bathroom changed and brushed my teeth. I sat on the couch and waited on everyone else to get done. I was accompanied by Ethan, Aunt Sadie, Uncle James, Grandpa John, Aunt Jessica, Candace, and after a few more minutes Dad and Wanda. We all went outside, and saddled up the horses, and went for a ride.
I love to ride the horses; it was always so relaxing and fun. When we arrived back home, we all got in the car and went to one of Grandpa John's friends. It was about five o'clock when we got back, and we grilled out steak and fries; it was so good. Candace, Ethan, and I played games in the yard like tag and hide and go seek. Everyone laughed at us as we ran and fell. We were so dirty that we went in early to take showers. By the time we got done it was time for bed; I slept in the floor of my dad and Wanda's room, Candace slept in her moms room, and Ethan and Aunt Sadie went home.
I guess my dad and Wanda thought I was asleep because they started talking, so I listened.
"I better not catch you drinking any liquor because it's not healthy, and you know how you get when you get a hold of that stuff," said Wanda
"I know, but Jessica bought it to get drunk, not wasted, and it's just sitting there, I'm just gonna try it," said Dad.
"You better not I'm not putting up with it you understand," whispered Wanda.
"Whatever Wanda just go to bed," said Dad.
"Whatever," said Wanda.
Then they each turned over and went to bed and so did I.
The next morning when we woke up we ate leftovers and cleaned up because by this time, the house was messy. We didn't have anything planned today, so we just hung around the house today. We were all outside and I had to use the bathroom, so I went in. I heard something moving in the kitchen, so I looked around the corner to find my dad. I couldn't tell what he was doing, so I snuck up a little closer to get a better look. I saw that he was messing in the cabinet and then he pulled out the bottle of liquor and poured him a big glass of the clear colored liquor. He was about to turn around, and I bolted around the corner to the bathroom and locked the door. I used the bathroom and thought to myself "I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut." I left the bathroom and went outside and acted like everything was fine. I was playing hide and go seek with my cousins, so I hid behind the tree next to the adults, but I overheard a conversation.
“What is that?” said Wanda.
“Water,” said Dad.
“You never drink water,” said Wanda.
“Why are you worried about it,” said Dad.
“It just better not be what I think it is,” said Wanda.
“Do you not trust me?” said Dad.
“I do, just not around alcohol,” said Wanda.
“Well for one, it’s not alcohol, and for two if you don’t trust me, what kind of relationship do we have here?” said Dad.
“Let’s settle this just let me drink some of your so-called water, and we’ll see if I should trust you or not,” said Wanda.
“No, you should trust me no matter what and you shouldn’t be making my decisions for me, I will drink what I want to when I want to. I am a grown adult,” Dad said progressively getting louder.
Wanda reached for the drink to take it of his hand to exam what exactly was in the cup, but before she could he gulped down the last little bit of liquor in the cup. Wanda was furious she stomped off into the house and dad just sat there and watched. I gave up my game of hide and go seek and followed Wanda into the house. I heard her in the bedroom and I went in to see what she was doing. She was messing in the closet and pulled out a small suitcase.
“What are you doing?” I said.
“I am just going to stay at the nearest hotel room,” said Wanda.
“Why?” I said.
“Well your dad is being very rude and mean to me, so I am just going to stay the night somewhere else tonight,” exclaimed Wanda.
“But this is a family vacation” I said.
“I’ll be back tomorrow” said Wanda.
“Is all this because he is drinking liquor?” I said wishing I hadn’t said that.
“So he was drinking the liquor?” Said Wanda interestingly.
“Yeah, but why does it matter? He is old enough to drink,” I said
“He just gets kind of abusive when he gets drunk and since liquor is stronger than regular beer, I’m not sticking around for that,” said Wanda as she continued to pack an overnight bag.
“Okay, well I can’t stop you,” I said as I walked out of the room.
I went outside and just continued to play with my cousins. We decided to go to the horse pasture and brush the horses. We were at the barn when we heard a door slam. We gave a worried look to each other and ran up the hill to the house. Wanda and dad were fussing at one another, and everyone else was just sitting there because there was nothing they could do. Within seconds Wanda pulled her arm loose from dad’s grip and got in the car and left. Everyone just continued on with the relaxing evening.
The next day Wanda came back, but neither her nor dad spoke to each other. It was almost noon and they were still not talking. Finally dad pulled her aside to talk to her, and I listened closely.
“Why did you leave?” said Dad.
“Because you were drinking liquor,” said Wanda.
“How do you know that for sure?” asked Dad.
“Kelly told me,” Wanda exclaimed as I became tense with fear.
“How does she know?” said Dad.
“I don’t really know actually, but that’s what she told me yesterday as I packed to leave.” said Wanda.
Dad left Wanda and headed towards me with an angry look on his face. With every step he took, my body flinched. His body was bowed up as he walked. I didn’t want him to come to me. He got to me and I stood up from my chair and looked at him in the eyes as he began to talk to me.
“How did you know I was drinking yesterday?” he said.
“I saw you pour it,” I stuttered.
“When?” he said.
“I came in from yesterday and heard something moving in the kitchen so I peaked around the corner and you were pouring the liquor Aunt Jessica had brought,” I explained.
“Why did you come in?” asked Dad.
“Because I had to use the bathroom,” I said.
“Why did you tell Wanda?” asked Dad.
“I didn’t mean to; it slipped when I was talking to her,” I said.
“Okay,” said dad and walked off.
He went back over to Wanda and they started talking.
“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have drank the liquor,” dad said apologizing,
“Well, if you ask me ,your sister bought it to tempt you on purpose; just to get something started, she is nothing but drama,” said Wanda.
“Yeah okay,” said dad and they walked off.
I was furious with Wanda and dad. Dad should have stuck up for Aunt Jessica, and it’s not Wanda’s place to say anything about my family, especially not my Aunt. I went and told Aunt Jessica what had happened I felt guilty like was starting drama, but she was the one who said something. I ran outside to find Aunt Jessica. Uncle James and her were sitting on the front porch sing relaxing. I told her what had just happen and they were mad. I asked them not to say that they heard it from me, and they told me that they would try not to mention me When they confronted them about it.
I went down to the horse pasture to get away from all the mess and just think. All of this stuff reminded me of the time we were all over at Aunt Jessica’s house, and we were hanging out having a good time. Then on the way home, Wanda had the nerve to tell me that she won’t sit down on the toilets at my Aunt’s house. I asked her why, and she explained that the toilets were always nasty looking. I agreed with her mainly because I didn’t know what to say. It really offended me because basically she was calling my Aunt nasty, and I know for a fact that she’s not. Candace cleans the house every week for money and I know she cleans the toilets. I told Aunt Jessica the next time I saw her and explained what Wanda had told me, but Aunt Jessica didn’t confront her about she just let it go.
I went back up to the house after a while and found Aunt Jessica and Wanda arguing behind the house. I ran over to see what it was about and try to stop them, but they didn’t pay me no mind.
“No I wouldn’t do that and you know it,” said Aunt Jessica.
“Knowing you, you would,” said Wanda.
“Why would I?” said Aunt Jessica.
“You obviously bought the liquor and acted like you put it in the cabinet, and when I wasn’t looking you would go behind my back and give it to him to get him drunk to start stuff,” said Wanda.
“What no, I bought it so if anyone wanted some they could have I never went behind your back. I always liked you, but now I realize you are nothing but drama and a liar and I don’t like people like that!” yelled Aunt Jessica as she stormed off.
I ran after Aunt Jessica and followed her to the house. She went in and Uncle James asked her what happened and she told him. Uncle James told her to forget about drop it, and just don’t socialize with her for the rest of the trip. When he told her, that I realized that we had to leave tomorrow and it was almost already dark. Everyone tried to get along and put what happened aside, so we could enjoy our last dinner together in Texas before we headed home.
By now, Dad won’t talk to Aunt Jessica because Wanda has convinced him that his family is awful and trying to split them up, so Wanda and him are mad. Aunt Jessica and Uncle James are mad at them, and the tension is growing by the minute.
We all performed our “getting ready for bed” routine after dinner. Ethan got to stay the night with us, and my cousins and I all laid down in front of the TV to enjoy our last night together in Texas.
The next morning we all loaded our bags up into the van and said our goodbyes and got into the van. Since it was such a long drive, the adults took turns driving. Wanda wouldn’t drive and neither would dad, so Aunt Jessica and Uncle James did all the driving. On our way home Candace and I sat in the very back so we could talk. Dad and Wanda sat in the row of seats in front of us and Uncle James and Aunt Jessica sat in the front.
We were going down the road, and Wanda was being childish and kept putting her knees in Aunt Jessica’s seat while she was trying to rest before it was her turn to drive. Aunt Jessica finally turned around and asked her to stop. When she continued to act childish, an argument broke out.
“What is your deal!” yelled Aunt Jessica.
“What are you talking about?” said Wanda acting as though she hasn’t done anything.
“You keep kicking my seat and I know you have plenty of room because this is a van,” said Aunt Jessica.
“Oh give it a rest Jessica, quit trying to blame me for everything because I’m perfect and I never do anything wrong,” said Wanda smartly.
“Everybody makes mistakes, but you don’t just make mistakes you are a mistake!” said Aunt Jessica.
“Shut up, Jessica. You know I’m a way better wife than you,” said Wanda.
“Really? How?” asked Aunt Jessica.
“I didn’t make Sam get rid of his dog just because it shedded,” said Wanda.
“I didn’t do that if that’s what you’re saying,” said Aunt Jessica.
“Oh Ok,” said Wanda sarcastically.
“I didn’t, we decided that since his ex wife kept bothering us over the dog that we would just let her have him, so she would quit bothering us,” explained Aunt Jessica.
“Whatever I’m still better than you,” said Wanda rudely.
“Yeah or so you think,” said Aunt Jessica.
“What’s that supposed to mean,” said Wanda.
“Well Kelly told me that you wouldn’t sit down on my toilets, because they were nasty and had green streaks in them,” said Aunt Jessica.
My heart stopped. I hoped and prayed that this fight wouldn’t turn on me. Luckily it didn’t.
“Yeah they are,” said Wanda.
“No they aren’t I clean them every week, and the green streaks are just hard to get out because the water pressure is so hard,” said Candace.
“That’s no excuse,” said Wanda.
“Whatever,” said Aunt Jessica and turned back around to rest.
“Some people are just rude,” mumbled Aunt Jessica.
At about the same time Wanda rammed her knee into the back of Aunt Jessica’s seat. I could tell it hurt Aunt Jessica, but I know my Aunt is a strong willed outspoken person. Knowing my Aunt, she wasn’t going to let Wanda she her pain, so she continued on.
“You wanna get out this car!” screamed Aunt Jessica.
“Let’s go!” yelled Wanda.
“No Confrontation! No Confrontation!” yelled Uncle James in a panicked voice.
“We can get out right now. Pull the car over!” yelled Aunt Jessica.
“No now y’all two stop it right now shut up and leave each other alone,” said Uncle James.
“Jessica started it just like she always does,” said Dad.
“Thats not true dad. Quit taking Wanda’s side; she was the one who kept putting her knees in the back of Aunt Jessica’s seat,” I said.
“Hush, Kelly you don’t disrespect me like that,” said Dad.
“Disrespect you? You are disrespecting Aunt Jessica,” I said beginning to yell.
“How?” yelled Dad.
“She raised you ever since you were twelve, and you are taking Wanda’s side. She’s not family. She doesn’t want to be apart of this family because if she did she wouldn’t be trying to fight with your sister. I’m tired of her thinking she is better than our whole family. Her family isn’t our blood and you choose them over us. I think it’s pretty bad when we go to Aunt Jessica’s house for dinner and can wear comfortable clothes. Then we go over to her family dinners and have to dress up because if we don’t, we will stand out. Now don’t tell me you aren’t disrespecting Aunt Jessica because you are and you really should apologize to her, but I know you’re not man enough to do that,” I said in a mad voice.
“We’ll take about this later,” Dad said.
“Why? Why won’t you talk about it now? Embarrassed?” I said.
“Now why would I be embarrassed?” dad said in a smart voice thinking that his question would shut me up because I didn’t know the answer, but I did.
“Because you know you are wrong. You know that I am right. You know you have no control over this situation because everything I’m saying is the truth. That’s why.” I said smartly.
After that no one said anything not even Wanda. The whole car was silent the whole way home. I think mainly because no one expected that from a eleven year old.
When we got to Aunt Jessica’s house we all got out and put our stuff in our cars and headed home. The whole way to our house dad and Wanda was silent and so was I. It was time for me to go home to my mom. She asked me how the trip was and I told her what all happened. She said things would be okay and everything calmed down.
Now three years later Wanda has shut my dad off from his family. Dad won’t talk to Aunt Jessica because Wanda has brainwashed him into thinking the only family that loves him is her family. Wanda is still stuck up as ever. I still disagree with dad and he won’t talk to Candace, but its okay because I still have my family by my side through thick and thin, and that’s something that will never change.