For The Love Of The Money | Teen Ink

For The Love Of The Money

By Malaq Alzoubeir, astoria, New York
Malaq Alzoubeir, Astoria, New York

I ran out of the party when I heard the sudden roar of a police siren. “Crap,” I mumbled to myself. I felt the cold wind hit my face as I ran out the door. I didn't see Tye outside. I started to look for him. But then, I heard the roar of another police siren. I started to run. ‘Even if they catch me I’ll be clean, I didn’t smoke or drink at that party’. Then I remembered that I still have two unsold blunts and about five hundred dollars in my pocket. I slipped my hand into my pocket and threw the remaining two blunts into the street. “Hey! Boy in the black hoodie! Stop!” I turned around to see a police officer. I started to run. After running about eight blocks, every step I took sent a shooting pain through my body. I couldn’t breathe, and all of a sudden I felt a sharp electrocution go up my back. The last thing I remember is falling face first onto the cold hard cement.
I slowly opened my eyes and tried to get up. pain. That's all I felt as I tried to get up. As I looked around the brick cell I remembered everything from last night. The party, the cops, getting tasered. “Hey look sleeping beauty is finally up,” the police officer said sarcastically while stuffing crackers in his mouth. He slowly pulled the keys out of his pocket and opened my cell.
“You’re letting me out?” I said relieved. Chuckling the police officer said “Ha Ha you’re funny, NO! You get one call and you’re back in the cell.”
As I walked out the cell I was actually debating on whether I should call my mom or Tye. I shouldn’t even think about wanting to call Tye. He left me yesterday to get arrested. Staring at the prison telephone I finally decided who to call.

“Hello?” my mom said in a confused voice.
“Uh mom?” I said, scared she was going to flip out on the phone.
“MARCUS!” my mom screamed.
“What are you doing there? You said you were sleeping over at Tye’s house!” she yelled so loud I think the police officer heard her. From the small chuckle he let out I know he did.
“I know mom I’m sorry I lied, can you come and bail me out?”
“What did you get arrested for?” she asked.
“10 seconds and the phone is going to turn off kid,” the officer said .
“Mom, look I’ll tell you when you get here okay.”
“Oh yes you will, and you are in so much trouble. Don’t think just because I am bailing you out you’re off the hook.” She said. All I hear now is the phone beeping indicating the phone call is done.
“So your momma don’t know you’re a drug dealer, huh?” said the officer with a smirk.
“I’m no drug dealer! I don’t even know why I was arrested!”
“Kid stop playing, why else would you have $500 in your pocket right after a party. We couldn’t arrest you for drugs because you had none on you. But we assume you sold them all and that’s why you had all that money.” I stayed quiet because he was right.
“So what happens now?” I asked.
“Well know you’re going to get back in that cell. Then you’re going to wait until you’re momma comes to bail you out.”
“Will I get my money back?”
“Your mother will be given the money since she is bailing you out and since you’re a minor. She’ll probably use at least half of it to bail you out.”
“WHAT!”
“Yup $250, but that’s a small price to pay for selling drugs. Now I know you weren’t selling alone, who was with you and we’ll let you out for free.”
“There was no one, just me.” I wasn’t going to snitch on Tye to save $250, what kind of friend would I be. Even if he left me stranded yesterday. I understand what he was thinking but I would’ve stayed. I think of Tye as a brother, and last time I checked you don’t bail out on family. Even if we aren’t blood related. That’s just me. His actions definitely showed how he feels about me. I’m no brother to him. In his eyes I’m probably just the kid who sells weed with him. Now I will never think of him the same. It will take time for me to forgive him. He will make up excuses, but no excuse or apology can get me to forget what he did.
I’m pretty sure you’re mother knows. Guess we will just ask her, ” said the officer with a smirk.
“Look man, I don’t know you’re problem. I WAS ALONE,” I said loudly, trying to get him to drop the topic.
“Okay well back in your cell then,” He said while grabbing my arm and walking me to the cell. He unclipped the ring of keys off his belt and stuck a shiny silver one into the cell. The cell made a clicking sound when he twisted the key. He pulled the cell door open and said “Come on get in.” Once I saw the bed, I realized why my body was so stiff. I stared at the cell for a couple seconds and slowly took a step in. I took another step in slowly and heard the door bang close behind me. There wasn’t a clock so I didn’t know how long I have been in here.
“Mr. Officer, do you know the time?”
“Its 9:34am, but that’s the first and last time I’m telling you the time,” he said while walking off leaving me all alone in the dark cold cell.
It felt like hours before my mom showed up. But now that she did I wish that she hadn’t because I didn’t want to face her. The officer came to my cell and unlocked it. A Katy Williams bailed you out; you’re free to go. I am more scared of my mom then this stupid cell. I walked out of the cell slowly, not ready to face her.
“Kid you okay? Most people would have been out of this place by now. Why are you taking such slow steps? Are you okay? Do you need medical attention?” he asked, actually looking worried.
“I just don’t want to face my mom,” said with my head down.
“Then you shouldn’t have sold drugs boy! Now get out we need the cell. I better not see you in here again.”
“Oh believe me you won’t, but you might find me in the morgue,” I said while walking out to see my mother sitting on a metal chair, taping her foot on the ground.

“MARCUS!” my mother screamed. I already knew what she was screaming about but stayed quiet to see what she would say. “Didn’t I tell you to pack your things? Were moving out tomorrow!” she said giving me the ‘I am going to kill you if you don’t get up and do what I said look’. I did not want to pack my things because I didn’t want to move. I explained to her that if we moved to the Bronx I would have to switch schools and make new friends. But she didn’t want to hear it. I even tried to scare her with news articles. Of course she didn’t budge. The only reason we are moving there in the first place is because mom found a cheaper place. We are really low on money and Astoria is starting to get expensive and we can't afford the apartment we have anymore. It’s going to be weird to move from safe old Astoria, to the projects in the Bronx. But I can’t do anything about it, because if I complained mom would have a fit and give me the lecture on how she is a single mom and money is hard these days. The only way of stopping this is if I somehow made a lot of money, and we all know that’s not happening. So I stopped complaining, and I packed my things into the ugly brown box.

“Yo Marcus!” Tye shouted while running right through the middle of the street almost getting hit by a car, and then screaming at the driver. What can I say, that’s Tye ladies and gentlemen.
“We selling tonight?” he asked in a whisper tone while ducking his head so no one would hear him.
“My mom is getting really suspicious of where I’m getting money from.”
“Didn’t you tell her that you got a part time at the deli?”
“Yes I did, but she actually went to the deli and she didn’t see me. When I got back home she was pissed and I had to lie again and tell her that I was on break. I think she knows”
“So your telling me that you almost got caught, you stupid! GOD DAMN! Didn’t I tell you to give the owner $50 so he can lie for you.” I stared at him blankly because he did tell me to do that and I forgot, such an amateur move. I thought for a minute and said “But do you really think my mom is going to believe that every time she happens to go to the deli I’m on break?”
“She might?” he said while shrugging his shoulders.
“No she won’t because she is NOT stupid!” I said slowly so it would maybe get into his head.
“Look man, I don’t care what you do but you can’t let her figure it out. ‘Cause then she is going tell me mom and I’m gonna get whupped,” he said, looking at me like I had three heads. Then continued with, “So what you gonna do? Mister I know everything!”
“I’m going to work in the deli” I said just to shut him up. Manjeet would never hire me. Now he just started to laugh.
“Oh my, oh my god, are you serious?” he said in between breaths. Then he said
“Manjeet hates us he is not going to hire you”
“Then I’ll work for free.”
“You are crazy man working for free. You won’t last a week in that deli. Now lets be serious we selling today? Cause if you are working for free your mother needs to see pay.”
“You’re right, I’ll meet you today at 9:00, next to the deli.”
“Okay I will see you then,” he said while walking away toward his house.
I felt the cold wind hit my face while I was crossing the street toward the deli. I walked into the deli to keep warm until Tye came.
“You! Little boy you going to buy something or just hang around in my store huh?” said Manjeet in his thick Indian accent. I chuckled as I turned around.
“Calm down Manjeet that’s no way to treat a customer is it? Don’t worry I’ll buy a skittles,” I said while handing him a dollar bill. I saw someone pacing outside the deli. Assuming it was Tye, I said bye to Manjeet and walked out of the deli.
“Tye? I said to the figure still pacing in front of the deli. The figure turned around while pulling their hat down and giving me a pound.
He was shivering from the cold then said, “Hello are you standing there waiting to get caught come on let us get on with this,” Tye said. He started walking toward Mikes house and I followed. Mike was having a huge party today so we bought a big supply with us. I’m hoping we can get done with this before the cops come, or then we’ll be dead. We walked into the party . The music was so loud the floor was vibrating. Remembering what I had come here to do I told Tye
“Lets split and sell, put your phone on vibrate because there is no way you will hear it over the music. When you’re done give me a call so we can leave together.” Tye and I split the drugs and I went straight to the corner where most people went to get high. I saw a girl all alone so I walked up to her hoping she would buy some of what I was selling. She was beautiful I thought as I approached her but this isn’t what I came here to do. So instead, I grabbed her by the waist and twisted her so she was facing me.
“What the hell!” the pretty girl screamed while pushing me away.
I stared at her for a moment before letting go. She pushed me and stormed off. She was cute but I’ll finish selling the weed and then I’ll find her. I walked toward a guy who definitely looked like he wanted to get high and said
“You look in need of a blunt.” The guy stared at me and looked away. He was fiddling with his pockets, and looking up at the ceiling. I pulled a already made blunt out of my pocket and fiddled it in his face.
“Look dude the blunt is only fifteen dollars you want it or not?”
The man looked around then finally reached into his pockets and pulled out a wad of cash.
He looked scared, like it was his first time. I counted the money he had given me and gave him the blunt.
“You need me to light it for you?” The guy shook his head up and down, which I took as a yes and lit his blunt. The air in the room was know thick thanks to the weed and the sweaty bodies. I’m almost done selling my stash when I felt my phone vibrate. Crap! He was done and I still had some. I pulled out the five blunts I had left and I went to this group in the corner.
“You guys want blunt fifteen dollars each,” I said trying not to sound panicked. I was waving the blunts in their faces hoping to get an answer.
“How much man,” slurred one of the guys. Their eyes were bright red probably from the alcohol. I stuck the blunts back in my pocket so they don't get snatched from my hand and said
“Fifteen dollars each now you want or not,” I said like I had to be somewhere. Everyone from the group pulled a wad of cash out.
“Look guys I only have five left so who is buying?” None of them spoke until the guy who asked the price before handed me thirty dollars and said
“I’ll have two.” he looked at the girl next to him and handed her a blunt. I saw the girl, the pretty one from before and in a sarcastic tone she said
“You’re going to keep staring at me, or sell me a blunt?” I would have never thought she smoked. Then again not many people could believe I am a drug dealer. I pulled a blunt out and said
“Its on the house.” I winked at her and ran out of the house to meet Tye.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Was all I heard from my mom as I watched her on the chair. She had her face in her hands, her hair falling on both sides. She only does that when she cries. I wanted to do anything but face her. I promised her I wouldn’t be exactly like my dad, and I became worse. My dad never made her any promises. I guess the officer had enough of the silence because he pushed me toward her and said “Go on kid she bailed you out.” I stumbled a bit then silently stood in front of her.
She pulled her head out of her hands and stared at me with teary eyes. I wanted to hug her and say I’m sorry. But that wouldn’t even start to make up for what I did. For what I’ve been doing. She didn’t say anything she just got up and started to leave. I followed her into the car. The silence was killing me. If she screamed at me we could make up, and over time we would get over it. But she wasn’t screaming, talking, moving. I wanted her to hit me anything to stop this silence. I want to get a punishment. Because after someone is punished they are forgiven. “Stay true thats all me, no help thats all me, all me for real.” rang my phone from inside my moms purse. Crap, thats Tye’s ringtone. He is the last person I want to talk to, and the last person my mom wants me talking to. She grabbed my phone and answered. “HELLO TYE!” she said taking her anger out on him.
“um Ms. Williams where is Marcus? I’ve been trying to call him all day.” he asked acting all innocent. She sarcastically replied with “Well you see it's kind of a funny story. He was with you yesterday, and today I get a call from the juvenile hall. A do you want to guess who was in there?”
“What! Marcus, why was he in there?” he asked acting surprised. I chuckled because he is such a bad liar. My mom turned around “What you laughing about? HUH! Is any of this funny? Do you think this is funny? She screamed at me. She almost hit another car, so she turned back around and just shut the phone and continued driving silently. When we finally got home she went straight into my room and started to throw my things around. Emptying my drawers checking under my bed , my closet. “What are you doing?” I yelled mad because I’ll have to clean all this up.
“What I’m doing? WHAT I’M DOING!” she screamed. She took my mattress and flipped it over.
“You wanna know what I’m doing?” She asked while starting to sob. “I am trying to find the drugs. Thats what I’m doing. Now can you just tell me where they are?” she said while sitting on the floor and burying her head in her hands again. “I don’t have anymore. I sold my last supply yesterday.” I said calmly, trying to get her to calm down.
“Stop lying Marcus. Where are the drugs?”
“I’m not lying.” She got up and slapped my books off my desk. She faced me and slapped me right in the face. My eyes started to tear, not because she slapped me, but because she was disappointed in me. A tear slowly rolled down my face. I quickly wiped it off.
“Don’t you cry Marcus. You aren’t hurting like I am. What are you crying for huh? Couldn’t you just really get a job at the deli, or better yet not get a job? I was doing good. Putting food on the table. Paying the rent on time. I didn’t need your help. It was nice that you did help . But you definitely did not have to do this. Its like me prostituting. Would you like that? They make more money than I do. Is that how bad you want those Jordans? I don’t want to look at you anymore. You remind me of your dad.”
I didn’t know what to say so instead I locked my door and started to clean up.

I put on my black and white striped uniform shirt. I walked into the kitchen to see my mom making me a sandwhich. I went over and kissed her on her forehead. “Hey baby.” She said.
“Hey mom, I’m heading out to work, you want me to get anything for you on the way back?” I said smiling.
“No its fine, and work then come home no hanging out with no one.” she said swinging the in her hand around.
“Watch out, you wanna kill me?”
“No baby.” she wrapped my sandwich and handed it to me.
“Thanks mom!” I said while running out of the house.
I am happy with the way things are. I stopped talking to Tye. I didn’t just not be his friend anymore. I told him I was going to stop selling and that he should too. Instead of choosing what was good for him, he called me a mama’s boy and walked away from my offer. Two weeks later he gets arrested, unlike me he wasn’t as lucky. He had fifty ounces of weed when the cops caught him. He is in juvie for 4 months. His parents couldn't’ pay the bail because it was too high, and I think even if they could they would keep him in there. I walked into foot locker, where I currently work. I slipped on my nametag and stepped into the register to help customers. Person after person buying the new Jordans. “Next customer” I yelled to the people on the line. My registry key fell on the ground. I heard the thump of the shoe box on the table.
“Sorry my key fell.” I said to the customer, still looking for the key.
“Its fine, take your time.” said a girl. I found the key and stuck it in the register. I looked up to see the girl from the party. The pretty one.
“Hey aren’t you that kid from Mike’s party?” she said while I scanned the shoe box.
“I think you have me mixed up with someone,” I said in a bored tone. Scared she wouldn't believe me.
“No, No, No you’re the guy,” she said while flipping her hair and biting her lip. She was quiet for a couple seconds then smiled like she just got an idea.
“You still sell?” she whispered.
“If I still sold would I work in foot locker?” I said while giving her the ‘duh’ look with my eyes.
“I knew it was you. You’re the one who got arrested!” She said smiling like she just figured out a mystery. Instead of answering I avoided the question by saying “Your total is $92.89, do you have a foot locker rewards card?” She stuck her hand in her big purse and pulled out a credit card. She swiped her card, and signed the machine. The receipt came out of the register. “Here is receipt. I hope you come again.” I said while smiling and handing her the receipt. She ripped off the bottom half and wrote something on it. She handed the slip to me and said “By the way, the name is Nikki.” She said while walking off. I looked at the little slip. It had numbers. Did she just give me her phone number? I felt like jumping up and down. Instead I calmly stuffed the paper in my pocket and called for the next customer.

To Be Continued...