Abused | Teen Ink

Abused

By pipsquirt, Mount Prospect, Illinois
pipsquirt, Mount Prospect, Illinois

Don't Cry because it's over, Smile because it happened.
Practice like a Champion.
Live everyday like it's your Last.

Sitting in the corner. Going through life by myself. Really no one to help guide me. Relying on myself. Gun shots blasting. Boom! Boom! Dad is at it again. Shooting people outside our house. My mother drunk as can be. I really don’t have any siblings. They all have moved out and living their lives. How much longer until I move out? Right now I live with my mom and dad in a small house. My parents abuse me; Physically and Verbally. The house I live in is dim with some old furniture. I pretty much spend my life in my room when I am not at school.

I decided to try out for football. The one way that all my anger could come out. The team was my family. Everyday I just don’t want to go home, so why can’t practice go on forever. One day coach asked me to stay after practice and chat with him.

“Hey Steph… What’s going on?” He could tell that something was wrong.

It then hit me and I let it out. Tears running down my face. Really? Was the girl on the varsity football team crying to coach.

“Things at home are bad” I replied

“How? What is going on?” coach asked concerned

“My parents abuse me”

Coach was shocked. Not expecting this sweet girl who plays football to have such a big problem.

“I don’t want to go home ever. I just want to stay here. I’m terrified and get little sleep because I don’t know what will happen.” I say sounding scared

“ I have a plan” coach said “ Why don’t you come stay with me tonight. We won’t tell anyone. You need your sleep besides being in a safe environment.”

“Sure” I said pleased “ I would love to. I am just scared that my parents will get mad that I am not home on a school night.”

I go into the locker room and take a shower since we will be there for a while. I then pack up my things as coach finishes up what he is doing. We walk to his car, hop in, and head to his house. When we get to his house his wife and kids greeting us at the door. I took of my shoes and placed them by the door. Their dog came over and began to sniff me as I placed my backpack next to my shoes. They all welcomed me into their home. Really I didn’t want to leave. This was a nice, big, welcoming home with a loving family. He showed me up to the room I would be staying in. The guest bed room. It was a nice, warm place. Blues and greens filled the room. After I placed my backpack up there, we came downstairs for dinner. We had chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots and pears. I had a glass of milk to go with it. The dinner was really good. When we were done eating I helped clear the table and wash the dishes. They were really shocked I was doing this. After I was done I walked upstairs to my room. I sat on the queen sized bed and did my homework. Coach came up after a while and saw that I was working on my homework. He knocked on the door

“Can I come in?” he asked.

“Yes, you may” I replied.

He came in and sat on the bed.

“Do you need any help with your homework?”

“I might need some help, but I’m good for right now. Thank you”

I knew he wanted to talk to me and and get something out, but what? I think I knew, otherwise why would I be here.

“ May I ask you a question steph?”

“Sure, what is it?”

“ I don’t mean to get into your personal life, but what is bothering you? I know something is. You can tell me. I won’t tell anyone. I promise.”

“ I am scared to go home. I don’t feel safe there.”

“What happens?”

“My parents abuse me. My dad has a gun. He is strong and controlling. My mother gets drunk and can be a total wacko.”

“This is a serious problem. You shouldn't be living with them.”

I began to cry. I lay on the bed crying and coach was there, like a father comforting me, rubbing my back.

“It will be ok. Everything will be alright. I got you. Don’t worry. We will figure something out.”

After I did what I could of my homework, I went downstairs and asked coach for some help on my psychology homework. We went upstairs and finished it, and then we went and watched TV. I got into a happy mood because I was in a safe place. I sat on the floor and played with the kids and dog.

That night I got a really good night’s sleep. Coach came to check on me a few times to make sure I was ok. The next day we went to school and acted like nothing had happened. We had a night practice that day, so I had time after school to chill. The guys had no clue what was going on.

“Hey Steph, do you want to come with us?” asked Eric.

“Sure. What are the plans?” I asked.

“We are going to drop off our stuff and pick up our bags for practice, chill for a while and grab some food,” Eric said.

“So you want to join us?” Lou added.

“It will be fun,” Jon said.

“Come on! You can get shotgun,” Eric said

I went with the guys, and it was so much fun. Then it was a good night practice. When coach saw me smiling, he smiled too.

After practice, before I went into the locker room, coach and a I talked

“You coming?” coach asked

“Can I?” I asked

“Of course. I’d rather have you sleep at my house than have you sleep at your place.”

“Thank you so much.”

I went into the locker room and took a shower. That way I could go home and sleep.

Since the next morning was a 9:30 start, coach had one of the players come pick me up. Friday was a special day. It was game day. I played a lot in the game and scored two touchdowns. That night I slept over at Eric’s house with Lou and Jon. It was a fun night.

That weekend I went back to my house. I was in my room packing my things, hoping my parents wouldn’t walk in, but they did.

“Where have you been? We have been worried sick about you!” my dad asked yelling

“No you haven’t. You have been on a shooting rampage and mom got so drunk that she passed out. You have never cared about me and never will,” I replied

“You really think that is how we act and what we feel? I guess you really are asking for it now.” Yelling off the hook holding a gun in his hand and mom had a knife in hers.

“I just came to pack up my belongings.”

“What! No you will be staying here.” Dad beyond mad and his face red.

“You don’t treat me well. I am sick of it and am moving in with another family. One that cares about me.” Yelling at them now.

Dad grabbed the knife out of mom’s hand and stabs me in the chest. Digging in the knife into my body, then taking it out. I am bleeding out. Gushing. Then he grabs his gun and shoots me in the stomach. Now wounded, I am lying on the floor bleeding out. Mom and dad left the room and soon after left the house.

I am lying on the carpeted floor bleeding out. Eventually going to die. I feel weak. Not strong enough to even move. I grab my phone out of my pocket and dial 911 calling for help. Informing them on what just happened. I tell them that I had to get up and leave so that I would not be there incase my parents came home before they got there. The blood was now all over the carpet. It is really hard to get up, but when I do get up I get up slowly trying not to lose more blood. The blood is gushing harder every move I make. I grown once and a while from the pain. Holding my chest, I bend over so the pain can die down, but it hurts more. My hands now covered completely in dark red blood. I finally make it out the door and down the driveway.

I get into the neighbor’s bushes. Soon I saw the lights from the ambulance and then I heard the sirens. I could not see straight and felt like I was going to pass out any second. I get out of the bushes slowly, barely able to move from losing all the blood. The paramedics see me getting out slowly and they spot all the blood. They pull over quickly to come help. I fall to the grass. One of the men comes over quickly to see how much blood I have lost, the other man then grabs the stretcher and comes over to help. The two men hurry to quickly stop the blood. Once they get the area covered, we get into the ambulance and rush to the hospital. On the way I pass out from the pain and the lose of blood.

At the hospital they stitch up my wounds and take out the bullets. Bandaged now with gauze and tape I am lying in a hospital bed and soon fall asleep. Coach was concerned that I was not at practice on Monday. I text him and told him where I was, not telling him what had happened yet. In the mean time, my parents came home and they began to freak out. I was gone. The police then showed up and arrested them for the abuse they gave me. Bye, bye.

On Tuesday, coach came to visit me in the hospital. After talking with me for a little bit some players and coaches came in as well. I informed them that I might be able to come to practice tomorrow or Thursday, and definately be at the game on Friday. I ended up going to school on Thursday giving me an extra day to heal and relax. Coach came to pick me up from the hospital. In the car we talk about what happened on our way to school. I was so happy to see coach and I had a smile on his face. He had one on too because he was so happy to see me.

“Steph, Your parents got arrested. Do you have a place to stay?”

“No, I don’t.”

“You can always stay with me if you want. You can even come over to just relax or play with the kids.”

“Thanks Coach”

As we pull up to school I get a smile on my face. It felt so good to be back.

During the day I get called down to the counselor's office and they give me an address that I will be living at. After school I walked to the house. It was only a few blocks away from school. I informed coach that I would be late to practice and I had to go see where I would be living. I didn’t look to happy about it and and coach looked sad too.

I walk up to this really big nice house. I guess this is where I will be living. I ring the bell and a nice looking younger aged woman, probably in her thirties, answered the door. I stood there with my bags.

“Hi, you must be Stephanie McDermott,” she said happily.

“Hi, yes I am.”

We walk into the house. It was huge and really nice on the inside. I set my bags down right inside the door. Then we walked into the living room and sat in a set of chairs. Sitting in my chair I am kinda curled up. Not knowing where I am or who I am with, I am on the shy side. She looks over at me and starts to talk with me.

“Would you like something to drink?” she asked calmly

“No thank you.”

“So, what activities are you involved in at school?”

“I am on the football team and am missing practice right now. I also play basketball and participate in track. I am also involved with other school activities.”

“Here, let me show you to your room so you can place your belongings there and then I can take you to practice.”

“Thanks.”

We go upstairs and walk down the hall a little bit. We open the door and stood behind it was an amazing room. It was their guest room that they decorated to make it feel like my room. I loved it. I quickly changed for practice and then she drove me to practice.

When I get to Prospect coach sees me being dropped off by a woman who plays the role of a mother.

“I will pick you up at the end of practice.”

“Thanks” I said with a smile

As I run over to the field coach welcomes me. He kind of looks a little concerned when I get to the field.

“Can you play today?” he asked questioningly

“Ya. I just have to take it slow. I have bandages on so that way it is covered.”

“So how do you like your new home and the family?”

“It is a nice big house. I really like it, but it does not feel like home. It feels like something is missing.

“Do they have any kids?”

“Ya. They have kids, I just don’t know how many. I will find out after practice.”

“Well hopefully you get to like it. You know, we are your family. Lets go have a good practice.”

“Thanks.”

Practice was so much fun. It felt like we were closer today than ever before. I wished coach good night and that I will see him tomorrow. My ride was there and now I was going to meet the people that I would be spending the next few months with. I hop into the car after putting my bag in the back

“How was practice?”

“It was really good. It felt like I got closer with the team today than ever before.”

“That’s good. Ready to go home?”

“Ya.”

“There are some people there that you are going to meet. “

“Ok.”

When we get to the house I grabbed my bag from the car and head up to my room. I grabbed some clean clothes and then went to the bathroom to take a nice long shower. When I was done, I headed back to my room. I just sat there on my bed in amazement. This was such a nice house; A dream house. I would never expect to live in a place like this. After being in my room for some time there was a knock on my door.

“Come in” I said calmly

“Would you like to come down and meet the family and grab some food. I will also give you a tour of the house.”

“Sure. That would be helpful.”

We walk down stairs and everyone is in the living room. Sitting there are four nice looking people. A man that would end up being my “father” for the next few months. Then there was a girl who looked high school aged, maybe a freshman or sophomore. Sitting on the couch there were also two younger kids. The boy I’m guessing a middle schooler and the little girl in elementary school.

“Well I forgot to tell you my name. I am Sarah and this is my husband Mike.”

“Hi. Nice to meet you.” I replied

“It is nice to meet you. I’m glad to have you join our family.” Mike said greetingly

“This is Gianna and she is a sophomore. She is a three season athlete.” Sarah added

“Hey.”

“Hey,” Gianna replied.

Then you could hear someone coming down the stairs. Who was left? Then someone walked in.

“Hey. Sorry I was in the shower.” a teenage boy said in a hurry

“Its ok,” said Sarah. “And this is Jon. You guys probably know each other from football.”

My eyes were open wide in shock. Not expecting this to be his family. This was going to be acquired. I was going to live at Jon Tucker’s house

“Ya. We do,” I said with shock. “Hey Jon”

“Hey? What are you doing here?” Jon asked questionly

“She will be spending time with us. She got abused by her parents and lived with someone else for a little bit. Someone I am not to mention. She went back for her things at her house and got shot and stabbed by her parents. Her parents are now in jail and has no one else to live with. The school reached out to me and asked if she could stay with us for a little bit and be a part of the family. I said yes after I talked with your father for a little bit. We are to treat her like family and not bring up this incident with anyone.” Mrs. Tucker announced

“Ok. That’s fine with me. Hey Steph do you want to come with me in the kitchen and grab a bite to eat?”

“Sure. I would love too. Hold on a second though, I still have to meet your younger brother and sister.”

“This is Josh and he goes to South and this is Emma and she goes to Windsor,” Mrs. Tucker replied.

“Nice to meet all of you. It was so nice of you to take me in your home.”

“Ready?” Jon asked

“Ya, Thanks”

“The kitchen is this way. I can also give you a tour of the house so that way you know where everything is and don’t get lost.

“Thanks Jon. I really appreciate it.”

“Well, that is what we have to do. Stick together.”

We walk into the kitchen and it is really nice. Big too. We walk over by the fridge.

“What would you like to eat?”

“I don’t care. What are you eating?”

“I will probably just make a sandwich or something.”

“I’ll just take what you are going to have then.”

I am leaning against the counter as Jon pull the ingredients out of the fridge. He makes us both a sandwich that was on wheat bread. There was lettuce, tomato, ham, turkey, cheese, mayo, and onion. Oh boy! I haven't eaten like this in a while and it was so good. He kinda looked at me a little weirdly

“How is the sandwich?”

“It is really good. Thank you.”

“So how long do you plan on staying for?”

“Probably a year. Please don’t say anything at school though, not even to the team. I don’t want the whole world to know.”

“Don’t worry. I am not going to do that to you.”

“Thank you!”

We finish our sandwiches and some fruit salad we also took from the fridge. Then we began the tour. Walking up the stairs he showed me his room. Wow! I would have never pictured his room to be like this. Everything so organized. Jon then took me to Gianna’s room. A nice room too.

“Well that is the tour.”

“Thank you so much. I feel better now. Well I better get a good night sleep. Game day is tomorrow.”

“Good night Steph. See you in the morning.”

I walk into my room, brush my teeth, and go to bed.

Morning arrives and I wake up and get ready for school. I walked down into the kitchen and made myself some breakfast. I made myself some eggs, sausage, toast and grabbed a banana. Down comes Mrs. Tucker after getting Josh and Emma. Then comes down Jon and then Gianna. Mr. Tucker came down too. We are in the kitchen getting ready for the day. Mr Tucker begins to read the paper and drinks a cup of coffee in the livingroom. Mrs. Tucker is making lunch for Emma. Josh is eating his breakfast with me. Gianna and Jon are grabbing some food for snacks. When we are all ready to go it is now 6:55. The three of us get into the car and head to school. When we are there we all go our separate ways.

Now being the end of the day we are going into the ready room to get ready for the game. We all grab some food and relax. We make our way down by the locker room and go outside to walk through some plays. When that is done we go into the locker room, blast music and get on our uniforms. Then making our way to the field. It’s game time. The student section cheering loudly and by the end of the game we won. After the game we got undressed, and coach talked to us. Then we went to get some food that was in the field house provided by the parents. I grabbed some pizza, italian beef, some potatoes, a cookie, and some water. Then I headed to the bleachers and sat with the team. After we ate and coach talked with us, we went home. I rode home with Jon. It was more on the quiet side coming home because we were beyond tired. That weekend, Jon invited some of the team over to hang out. It was a little weird because they didn’t know I was living there.

“Hey, I am inviting some of the guys over just so you know. If you would like you can come and join us.”

“Thanks. I might come down and join you for a little bit. I’m not sure yet. Who is all coming over?”

“Just Eric and Lou.”

“Ya. Then I probably will join you guys if you don’t mind.”

The doorbell rings. That means the guys are here. I am just up in my room minding my own business. I decide to stay up there for a little bit so that way it would not be that strange. Jon opens the door. What were they going to do and where were they going to be. Downstairs? In the living room? It felt weird just being in my room now and I wanted to join the party. I walk down the stairs quietly and here the boys talking.

“So what do you guys want to do,” Jon asks the boys.

“Hmmm how about truth or dare? Or wait, maybe some would you rather,” Eric says with some excitement.

“I say we talk about girls if you really want to go that route,” Lou adds.

“You do know that there are girls in this house as well as young children,” Jon states

Ok so I am listening to three teen aged boys talking about what they were going to talk about. Hahaha! Now this was good. Listening them talk about girls and the pranks that they were going to pull on people. This could not get any better. I decide to get off my but and go join in this fun. I was getting tired of just sitting there.

“Hey guys”

“When did you get here,” Lou asks.

“Oh I've been here. I was upstairs and I now decided to come down.”

“Why were you up stairs,” Eric added.

“I was up with Gianna.”

“Oh, So would you like to join in the fun,” Lou commented.

“Ya. That is why I came down here.”

“What would you like to do,” Eric asked

“Hmm talk about whatever I guess.”

Sitting in the living room together we decided to go down stairs. That would be a better place for us to hang out. We go and sit down there all scattered out on the furniture. We have some laughs and then decide to watch a movie. It was a little hard to pick which one because I am again the only girl with three guys. Once the movie was over we went back upstairs and the guys left because we were going to have dinner.

The season went by so fast. We won most of our games and had a score of 11-2. Getting to play four playoff games was a lot of fun. So at the end of the season we had a football banquet. This is where we get recognized for all the hard work we put in that year as well as all the hard work we put in four years. First off we eat our dinner. It is really good. We had chicken, potatoes, mixed vegetables, and rolls. A salad and soup were given to us before and then we had dessert at the end. When we were finished, Coach came up and began to talk.

“Good evening everyone. Today we are here to recognize the people that made this team a team. To start out with, I guess we will be nice and say ladies first. Stephanie McDermott.” Coach moves his arm to indicate to come up.

I walk up to the front by coach and stand there as he goes off talking about me.

“To start off, I decided to bring up Stephanie. She was one of our most impressive players on our team and really helped out a lot. She was a leader. It was amazing to see that even though she was a girl she really helped out and the team really welcomed her. Steph was always positive and a role model. She has been in this program for 4 years and we have seen her really grow. On offense Steph played receiver and running back and on defense she played as a linebacker and defensive Back. I have never seen a girl as athletic as her catch so many passes and score so many touchdowns. She was always there and we knew we could always count on her. Steph, We wish you the best in the future and it was a pleasure having you on this team.”

All the coaches went through and talked about a player. After the banquet we took pictures and talked for a while. Over in one of the corners it was me and a few of the players. Eric, Jon, Lou and I stood there and were talking. Then after a while Eric speaks up.

“Steph, I have something ask you.”

“Ya, Eric?”

“Will you go out with me?”

“Yes! I would love to!”

Then the guys get excited and cheer. They were clapping too. Some people did not know what happened and others had a feeling on what did. I had a huge smile on my face and so did Eric. The rest of that night was a blast. At the banquet hall we were pretty much standing together and talking. After being there all night, we left. Riding home with the Tucker’s was fun. We talked and a few times we had a few laughs. Jon and I were sitting in the back texting each other so his parents didn’t find out. That night Eric and I kept texting each other having a great conversation.

That Friday night, Eric came over. It was a little weird because he came over to Jon’s house. I welcomed him in and we went to the living room and sat on the couch. There we talked for a while. We then went into the kitchen and made hot cocoa, going down stairs when we were finished. He asked me why he had to come to Jon’s to spend time with me and I informed him on the situation. He understood and promised not to tell anyone. We finished our hot cocoa, put in a movie and snuggled up.

Eric and I became closer and began to go on more dates. It came to the end of the year. In just a few months we would be miles apart going to two different colleges. We began to get closer.

Prom was just a month away and I was getting really excited. I got my dress and knew how my hair and nails were going to look like. It finally happened. Eric asked me to Prom and using the football team too. I got some notes throughout the day and the last note told me to walk out to the football field. I walk out there and see all the guys and hear music blasting. I walk closer and saw not all the team there. Then it started. The team made a flash mob and at the end I was put in the middle of the circle with Eric and he asked me. Prom was a lot of fun that night and we both enjoyed it. The next day was a day to have fun, since it would be the last day before graduation. Eric and I had a sleepover that night with Jon and his girlfriend, as well as Lou and his girlfriend. It was so much fun. We didn’t get home till 2:30 we stayed up until 4:00 talking and having a good time. This was going to be the last day we had together as a high school student. As a group we decided to go to the beach. There we had time to relax and enjoy ourselves as well as have some laughs and smiles. At the beach we played in the sand making sandcastles and then we played in the cold water that felt good on our feet from the hot sun. That night we decided to have a bond fire. We sat in a circle curled up with our boyfriends talking about things that we could all relate to. One of the things we talked about was graduation.

Sunday; Graduation day. A day that we would no longer be high schoolers. A day we say goodbye to most of the people that we called classmates. We put on our robes and walked out together as a class. I sat next to people that I would probably never see again. Eric was a few rows ahead of me since his last name came before mine. Then there was Jon who was rows behind me. Sitting there in the middle of the stadium in the middle of the rows of chairs surrounding me, I began to think. Is this really happening? The people I have been going to school with for years, are no longer to see each other or keep in contact. I begin to cry. Something that I really wouldn’t do, but now it was all catching up. I mean somethings would stay the same like living with Jon’s family and dating Eric. I knew that summer would be fun. I mean hanging with friends and doing fun activities like going to the beach, amusement parks and go to parties.

They call my name and I walk up to the stage. I grabbed my diploma, shook the Principal’s hand and walked back to my seat. Tears running down my face like it was a race to the finish line. I sit in my seat until everyone got their diploma. Then all the graduates stood, took off their caps, removed the tassels and then it was time. On a count of three everyone threw their caps up in the air. All the columbia and navy blue caps flying in the stadium. High school was now over and a new life has begun.

I was crying. It was mixed emotions on this moment. I was really sad though because I didn’t want to leave. I wish it could last for ever. I met Eric in the middle of the field and he gave me a big hug comforting me. We then held hands as we met our other friends. Later that day we all got together. Eric, Jon, Lou, Me, and a few others as well. We watched movies, played games, made food, talked, and had some laughs.

Summer. This was going to be one of the most important summers of my life. This would be the time that Eric and I could spend the most time together because we were both going to attend college next year. During the summer Eric and I went to the beach, six flags, and hang out with friends. We did most of these things with friends to also spend time with them.

It was getting to the end of summer and time to go our separate ways. I decided to attend the University of Illinois and Eric went miles away to his University. Jon went down to Western Illinois to play football. Eric also was accepted to play football where he went. Once and a while I would drive to go visit Eric and Jon as well. Then once and a while they would come to visit me as well. This is how we stayed in contact besides a call or text message.

I came home for Thanksgiving and spent time with the Tucker’s. Once and a while though, I went over to coaches house to say hi and to play with his kids. I also did this to give the Tucker’s some time alone with Jon. I enjoyed seeing coach again. It made me feel really good.

I came home again for Christmas and spent time with coach and his family. I sat there on the ground with the kids as they opened their presents.

“Steph there is one more gift under the tree,” he said with happiness in his voice.

“It has my name on it,” I reply confused.

“Open it.”

It was a good sized box wrapped in pretty christmas paper and a bow on top. I gently open it and see a small stack of papers in the box. I read the top and they were adoption papers. I look over at coach and his wife and they have smiles on their faces. He is also nodding his head a little. I run over to him with the papers in my hand and give him a hug. I have the biggest smile on my face and crying with joy. I can’t believe that he adopted me and for Christmas too.

“Thank you so much,” Still with shock

“Your welcome. We talked about it and really enjoy having you as our guest. You are great with the kids and a good role model. You deserve a place to call home and not be going to different families. Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas to you dad,” Crying full of joy with a smile on my face

We sit there by the tree a happy family of six.

“Do you think I can invite my boyfriend over for a little bit later tonight? Don’t worry you know him.”

“Yes. We would love to have him.”

“Thank you”

I call Eric and ask him if he would like to come over for a little bit later that Christmas day and he replied with a yes. I gave the address that he would be going to and he knew right where it was.

The doorbell rings and I answer the door. It was Eric. He gave me a hug when he stepped inside. Then coach came to the door.

“Hey Eric.”

“Hi Coach.”

“Merry Christmas.”

Merry Christmas to you too.”

We go into the living room and Eric and I sit on the couch. Dad sat in the chair. We had holiday music going and smiles of joy were on our faces. Mom was in the kitchen making the food and the kids were with us in the living room. They were on the floor playing with their toys. Dad pulls Eric aside and begins and talks to him for a little while.

“I just wanted to let you know that I adopted Steph. She needed a good place to stay and we really enjoy her company. I just want you to know that you are welcome to come here and I am glad that you too are together. I know that she is in good hands with you and your friends,” Dad said smoothly.

“Thanks. She is an amazing person and deserves the best, especially for Christmas,” Eric replied.

They come back into the living room and we all play with the kids. Then I step aside into my room and brought Eric with me. There we had a nice little talk.

“Thanks for coming over. I really appreciate it and I thought I would tell you the news. I finally have a family. One that loves me so much. I also have an amazing boyfriend that loves me too.”

“Thanks. I really like spending time with you and especially on Christmas. You deserve the best and I’m glad that you have a family that loves you.”

I got ready for dinner and then we walked down stairs to eat. It also was not just us eating together, It was the whole family. So the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. I met them all and I was glad that Eric was there by my side. After dinner we opened presents and the family was happy to meet me.

Days later Eric came over to spend some time with me and the family. We went sledding, made cookies, and played games. A great bunch of winter fun. Eric and I came really close with the family and everything turned out great.

So what else can I say. I had an amazing boyfriend a great group of friends, and a great, warming home with a loving family.

Years Later: I got a job as a teacher and also ended up doing some side work in the medical field. Eric and I are still dating. My family was still outstanding. Warming parents that I have gotten really close with and younger siblings that are the coolest kids. I am still good friends with Jon and his family and well as Lou. The four of us still get together sometimes. Now to my birth parents, well they are still spending their time in jail. My birth siblings and I got together and are now friends after not seeing them for many years. My wounds are healed and I, Stephanie McDermott, is living a great life with the people I love.