Hope Will Come | Teen Ink

Hope Will Come

January 1, 2014
By Ms.Marie GOLD, Greensburg, Kentucky
More by this author
Ms.Marie GOLD, Greensburg, Kentucky
12 articles 30 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
James 2:24- you see a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone


Author's note: Pediatric Cancer has become my life which in turn inspired me to write this book! I have raised over $11,000 for pediatric cancer research in a matter of four short months and am continuing to find a way to raise more awareness. Through these efforts to help inspire the children with pediatric cancer that there is still hope I wrote this book hoping some person out there will become inspired as well. Being passionate about pediatric cancer is so rewarding and I feel blessed to have these opportunities to share it with you!

The leaves were slowly but surely beginning to fall from the trees and the mid-October air was crisp and cool. However when wearing a nice fuzzy warm sweatshirt it could not feel any better. You could faintly hear the roaring engine of a tractor in the field if you were really quiet. The various colors of mums were scattered in arrangements with deep orange pumpkins and the thick yellow hay around the plantation. In the distance Kadee was riding her bike up and down the driveway with Carson Jo and you could hear them laughing and how much fun they were having from miles away.

"Sissy, hurry; faster! Faster!" Carson Jo was screaming as Kadee came in to a screaching hault after building up speed.

"Hey Carson Jo let's race!" Kadee screamed lining her bike up with excitment almost out of breath and just by the sound of her voice you knew that she sincerely loved her little brother Carson Jo. They were both spitting images of one another, dark brown hair and green eyes. They both had cute little patches of freckles on there face that were very distinct. Kadee had long hair that came halfway down her back and straight as a stick. She was uniquely gorgeous and always had a smile on her face. Everyone would always say, " You mean she is only ten?" Just by the way she talked and potrayed herself to other people. Carson Jo tried to be exactly like Kadee. Everything Kadee did Carson Jo wanted to do too. Carson Jo is four years old but just as Kadee does, acts much older.

They grew up in a beautiful two story brick home and just as any another little family they were always busy doing something. Kadee had cheer practice three nights a week and ballet one night. Church was on Wednesday nights and then of course church on Sunday morning. They were busy it seemed every waking hour when you fit school in between the busy schedule they had. There parents were your average couple who loved there babies. They were even more excited about the fact that there mom had another baby on the way, a little girl. Needless to say, life for this family of four was very good.

"Kadee please come inside and get ready for cheer practice," Kadee's mom Marley yelled from the front door. Kadee looked back at her with a grin and a thumbs up. Carson Jo was dissapointed that there play time he was enjoying was coming to an end. He rode his bike into the garage with Kadee and they both ran inside the house.

"Dad!" They both screamed running into there fathers arms as he came in from work. He is a very tall broad man, however clean cut and always neatly groomed. He smelled of a specific type of cologne and he most importantly madly loved his kids. He picked then both up one in each arm and kissed them and sat them back down.

Kadee's father Joseph was definatly a business man, however you may be wondering how this is so if they are living on a platation. A farmer, with callused hands may have came to your mind with dirty jeans and a deep brown tan. However, Kadee's father had invested in a lot of land years ago and now has one of the biggest plantations in the South. He keeps the plantation financially stable by doing all the paperwork and bills. So yes, Joseph is a business man but however maybe not the kind of business man you had imagined. Needless to say this family was not living paycheck to paycheck. They had everything they could possibly need and as of now life seemed quite normal, just living the American dream.

As Kadee entered the house you could smell the warm aroma of a hot cinnamon apple pie baking in the oven mixed with the savory creamy aroma of a chicken pot pie. She inhaled it all because she had always loved her mother's wonderful cooking and was dreading having to wait until after practice to eat the food.

"Come on now Kadee you have to get ready, we have no time to waste," Kadee's mother said as she sat and chatted with her father. She hopped up and ran into her room where her mother was waiting with a change of clothes. Kadee sat on her bed and watched her mother and she made two perfect french braids and put a bow in the end of each braid. Kadee always adored how that her mother fixed her hair, it was her favorite part of getting ready.

In the car on the way to practice Kadee excitedly told her mother about her and Carson Jo's evening of riding there bikes and how much fun they had. Marley, her mother just smiled in amusement. Kadee was definatly a story teller when it came to everything she did.

"Kadee, you look pale, do you feel alright?" her mother asked as she stared at her daughter.

"Yes I think I am just tired because we rode our bikes so much," Kadee replied almost seeming out of breath strangly.

"Here, drink this gatorade before you go inside," Marley insisited to her daughter. As she drank it quickly, her mother could tell she was probably just tired from playing for so many hours. "There hope that helps, now go have fun and get that stunt today! I know you can do it!" her mother said as she dropped her daughter off with assurance that she believed in her daughter and kissed her freckled little forehead.

Kadee walked into the practice and was more excited than ever to practice today. She knew if she could get this stunt down pat that her mom would be so proud of her. She always wanted to please her mother that was one of her main goals in everything she did. Most girls loved there mothers and Kadee was no exception. However when she saw that she had done something to make her mother proud it was like no other feeling to Kadee.

"Kadee! I am so proud of you!" her mother yelled as Kadee ran into her mothers warm arms for a hug. She had done it! She had hit the very hard stunt that could make a difference in winning and losing at competitions and Kadee felt a since of pride in herself. However all she wanted to do was go home and sleep. She was so tired from practice even more than usual.

"Thanks mom, I am really tired though," she said as she leaned her head over in the seat on the way home.

"That hard work will wear you out girl! I am so proud of you though, I know your tired but it will be worth it at competition when you are out there and hit that stunt," Marley said smiling and feeling like a very lucky mother.

When they finally arrived back home at the plantation, Kadee took a hot steamy shower and then went into her mothers bedroom where Carson Jo was already sound asleep with there father.

"Mom," Kadee whispered trying not to wake the others.

"What is it Kadee?" her mom asked as she was surprised to see her up.

"Can I sleep with you," Kadee asked softly in the darkness of the bedroom.

"Yes hun just let me come to your bed, is everything alright?" Marley asked her daughter kissing her head and stroking her long dark brown hair.

"Yeah I just kind of think I feel sick tonight," Kadee said shivering.

"Here let me take your temperature," Marley insisted as she wrapped a blanket around Kadee. They had discovered she had a very high fever of 102. Marley was concerned because it was rare that Kadee became sick. However she just decided to give her some medicine to reduce the fever and go on to bed.

The next morning Marley woke up and noticed Kadee was still sound asleep and she decided to just let her stay home from school that day. When she tried to nudge Kadee to take her fever she got no responce. She nudged her again and Kadee tilted her head barely to the side. Marley had decided that she must have caught some sort of virus.

"How do you feel hun?" Marley asked her daughter as she felt of her forehead. Kadee never responded. "Can you hear me sweety, I know your tired and feel bad but can you answer momma?" Marley asked Kadee.

Kadee just blankly stared with her deep green eyes as if none of the information was being processed into her head. Marley yelled for Joseph and when he came into the bedroom Kadee threw up and began to cry like a small child. Joseph picked her up from the bed and brought her into there bed as Marley removed the dirty sheets. Joseph held Kadee and changed her into a clean t shirt and pants and wiped her mouth from where she had thrown up. They continued to ask her questions but she would never respond.

"I think we need to take her and let someone see what kind of bug she has, she needs some kind of medicine, don't you think hun," Joseph said as he looked at his wife concerned.

"Yes I would think so because she has to be better for this weekend she has a very important cheer competition, remember she just was able to hit the stunt last night, I was so proud of her!" Marley said happily.

When they arrived at the hospital they took Kadee to a sterile white bed immediatly and gave her medicine to stop the contant puking and put her on an IV because she was pale and dehydrated. She had fallen back asleep after she was able to stop vomiting and they ran a few test on her and took some bloodwork just to be sure it was nothing more than the stomach virus. As an hour passed by a nurse entered the room with a stack of papers in her arms and quite a strange look on her face, one of deep sympathy. Beside the nurse stood a doctor who seemed to have a firm diagnosis.
Chapter 3

Kadee had been asleep when they had confirmed the diagnosis, however it couldn't be real? Or could it? Doctors were always right or were they? So many questions were going through Marley and Joseph's mind and to be quite honest it did not even seem real. Kadee had no idea what was happening other than the fact she had been admitted to a large children's hospital. As she laid in the bed she now looked more like a robot. They had hooked wires to her and monitors everywhere. She had at least four IV's by now and nurses were constantly coming in and out of Kadee's room checking vital signs and recording information.

I mean just yesterday she was running and playing in the front yard, this isn't real? Just yesterday she had mastered a cheer stunt and now it seemed unreal that any of this was occuring to Kadee. It was almost like it had not quite sunk in of how severe this really was.

Every nurse or medical professional who entered the room just smiled as if that was all they knew to even say to the family. Marley just wept into Joseph's arms as the reality had now entered her mind as they sat with there child at only ten years old whose life was in danger from leukimia she had just been diagnosed with, a form of cancer found in the blood.

Dr. Cross entered Kadee's room only three hours of being admitted to the hospital. He was a pediatric oncologist, a professional in the field. He was in his late 40's however very tall and thin with dark black hair and blue eyes. He had a reassuring smile when he enetered the room and made you feel like everything would work out in the end. However feeling that it might actually work out was hard to do.

"Greetings, I am Dr. Cross I will be working with Kadee throughout her treatments and help you to work a treatment plan best for her and hopefully we can both get through this together," He said as he shook hand.

Kadee was still laying in bed asleep from all of the medication they had given her and Dr. Cross glanced at her and then began to stare at her momentarily. Marley stuck her hand out as tears formed in her eyes she shook his hand and then wiped the tear, aprreciating his enthusiam to make her daughter well.

"Thank you, I am Marley, and this is my husband Joseph. As I am sure you know this is our daughter Kadee. This has all been the biggest shock to us in the past few hours. I apologize, it has just not been able to sink in and feel real quite yet until now, my biggest question is how is this going to affect our daughter?"

"I understand this is always a huge shock to my patients and there families, I am going to do my best to come up with a treatment plan for Kadee that will help her be able to still be successful in life, however I will not keep information from you, cancer can be a deadly disease as well, our main goal here is to first of all make sure that these cancer cells do not continue to multiply and spread. I recommend that we spend tonight and tomorrow running tests to achieve the absolute best plan possible and once I map out a plan for her we can start treatments the next day. We have caught this early so the chances of it spreading are less. One important aspect of this whole journey is that we do not give up the hope that we can get through this."

As they were talking, Kadee opened her eyes and she began to moan and cry. Joseph went to her bedside and held her trying to calm her and as he did she complained of an extreme migraine. Dr. Cross wrote down notes as he evaluated her actions. She began to cry out in pain. Marley stared at her once brilliantly talented child. Kadee was very confused on where she was as she glanced around the room. She stared at her arm and she noticed all the wires and machines injecting medicines into her body. She leaned over the bed and threw up once again and began to cry and hold her head.

Three nurses walked into the room, one of them cleaned up where she had thrown up and then Dr. Cross had ordered several medicines before she had the first of many tests run on her. He had ordered some pain medication to ease her pain. On the heart monitor her heart rate had went up and oxygen levels had went down so they gave her oxygen as well. They needed to treat her stomach as well which required another drip IV. She had fallen asleep from all the intense medicine and it seemed like the nightmare was about to begin for Marley and Joseph.

Marley sat down in a chair beside her daughter and wrapped her hands around her belly and realized that in a matter of weeks or even days she had a baby girl who would be entering this world, another child. Another child who would need ever hour of attention and affection when in reality Marley knew Kadee would almost be like her newborn sister. Kadee was now going to need attention, support, and affection every waking hour of the day. Besides Kadee and a new baby feeling like a struggle, she still had little Carson Jo who was her baby right now and still needs love just as much as he ever did. Marley was beginning to struggle with the idea that all of her children were now going to be even more dependent of her as there mother.

"Joseph I think we should probably find a way to let the family know, now that we have the diagnosis."

"I can call and let everyone know, you just lay back and rest easy," Joseph said as he tried to find the words he could use to calm his wife. In the cool autumn evening from the hospital window, Marley watched as people walked around and cars buzzed by and each person seemed to be going about there business. Every person experiencing something different in there day to day routine. Marley had never taken the time to really sit down though and think as an outsider what the people in this hospital might be going through. But, today, as she lived that reality it seemed as if her eyes had been opened unto an entirely new perspective. All she could do was hope that somehow she could find a way to keep it all together

The following morning of Kadee's diagnosis, Kadee's pain had been able to be controlled through medication that night. She was feeling pretty normal other than just being a little weak that morning. Kadee's grandmother Addy May and her grandfather Brody, had came to visit with Kadee's little brother Carson Jo that morning. They had brought Kadee a beautiful doll dressed in a nurses outfit and a get well soon balloon. Marley and Joseph had both spent the night at the hospital that night and had recieved little rest it seemed. Carson Jo ran into his daddy's lap and hugged him so tight he did not want to let go. Addy May and Brody stared at there granddaughter trying to be positive about the situation but finding in hard to be.

Kadee had been told what was wrong with her but the real intensity of the treatments had not yet begun quite yet. Kadee was not aware of how serious of a disease she had beeen diagnosed with. She was the same bubbly happy little girl she had always been. Marley and Joseph just prayed she could be strong through it all.

"Ma May" and "Pa Brody" had committed to staying with Kadee whenever the baby was born, day and night.

"Ma are you sure I do not want you to feel overwhelmed with staying here, I can take time off work if I have to mom," Joseph said while Carson Jo talked to Kadee long enough to distract her.

"No son you just try and take care of things at home and I will stay here with Kadee, I am going to be prepared for the worse because I think you all know as well as I do that this is not going to be a piece of cake, I mean we are talking about cancer...C..A..N..C..E..R..."

"I know mom, I appreciate your help I just hope we can all find a way to keep it together for Kadee,"

"If we all work together we can try our hardest to keep this family together, we can go through anything," Pa Brody added.

"Thank you so much Addy May," Marley said as she leaned in for a hug to her mother in law that she suddenly became so greatful for. As they looked over Carson Jo was talking to his sister just as if she was the same sister he always rode bikes with and had looked up to ever since he was born. They laughed and talked and he was laying in the bed with her just as they did some nights when they became scared and slept with each other for comfort.

Three nurses entered into Kadee's room and were pushing a cart with them when they entered. They explained to Kadee that the first hing they had to do before they could start her chemo was put a pump on her arm for the chemotherapy. They explained to Kadee that she was going to start her first treatment tomorrow. Kadee just nodded and talked to them as though she was an adult ready for battle, this battle that most adults do not even face.

Pa Brody took Carson Jo out of the room since they would be putting on a pump. Carson Jo needed to be exposed to as little of the nightmare as possible. When the nurses actually began the work to insert the pump Kadee's face went to a white pale suddenly when she looked over at what they were doing. Suddenly she lunged forward to throw up. Joseph ran over to her bedside and grabbed a bucket for her to use and rubbed her back trying to calm her.

She began to cry franticly as if suddenly this had all sank in to her of what was going to be happening to her life. Things were about to change for her and it seemed as though she had just realized this. The nurses kept telling her to hang in there, that it would soon be over but she just continually cried even when she tried so hard to suck it up and put on her game face.

When the nurses were finally finished and had left the room Joseph continued to hold his daughter in his arms as she cried. It was almost like she was scared if she let go it would only get worse. Joseph tried to calm his daughter and as Marley and Ma May watched Joseph calm his daughter they became overwhelmed.

"Baby I want you to listen to daddy. You are here at the hospital because you are very sick. The doctors and nurses have to do things like this so that they can help you try to get better. You have to stay strong for daddy, ok? I know you can do this baby. You remember all those times you went out on the mats at cheer competitions and you were scared?"

"Yes daddy"

"You were scared if your stunt would hit perfect but you did your best and gave it your all, right baby?"

"Yes daddy" Kadee said as she began to slowly stop crying and look her daddy in the eyes.

"It is just like being here at the hospital baby you are scared I know you are, I am scared too. But you have to stay strong baby and give this everything you have. Now show me that smile Kadee!"

Kadee slowly began to let a smile emerge from her face and she hugged her daddy. While she hugged him she whispered in his ear, "I promise daddy, I promise." Joseph continued to hug his daughter that he loved so much and looked over at Marley who was crying but smiled as she gave him the thumbs up like he could not have said it any better.

Today was the day that Kadee was to start chemo. They decided they would let her sleep in and have a light breakfast and then they would start the chemo. Kadee had been told that she would probably be very sick after taking the chemo but she just tried to stay strong after she had promised her daddy. Marley had requested that they have no visitors today because Kadee would likely be so sick. Marley and Joseph were not really sure what to prepare for but they were prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

Kadee woke up in good spirits that morning with most of the pain still being contained by high doses of medication. After breakfast Kadee's nurse came in to check all of her vital signs. The nurse wheeled in the IV dosage of chemotherapy. Kadee stared at it like she did not know weather it was her enemy or her friend yet.

"See this will be super easy since you have the pump now. All we have todo is attatch it to the pump!"

"So is this going to make me really sick?" Kadee asked as she began to panic.

"We are going to do the best we can to make you comfortable during this journey sweetheart but you more than likely will be a pretty sick little girl today," the nurse said as she smiled with sympathy, "Ok baby here we go I am going to start your chemo drip, I am going to be coming frequently in and out of your room while you take your first treatment to see how things are going and we can adjustment your treament plan accordingly," the nurse said as she gathered her things and left the room.

"Well how about we watch some TV, what should we watch on this pretty morning?" Marley asked Kadee trying to take her mind off of the rough day she was soon going to have.

"Sure, just anything I guess," Kadee said as she started to kind of get down on herself when she realized her life was going to be confined to this one room and many medical staff for several months.

"Mom I have come up with a word I want us to always think about when we think things are getting really bad in the next few months," Kadee said as she suddenly perked up and smiled with an idea.

"What's that my dear?" Marley asked as she smiled at Kadee.

"Hope, because no matter what happens we always need to have hope, I want you guys to never lose hope that I might get better," Kadee said as she smiled at her mom.

"Ok baby you got it, that is sure a good idea!" Marley said as Kadee laid in bed and let the chemo drip by drip enter her weak body. After about thirty minutes of the chemo KAdee had fallen asleep but only an hour later woke up and suddenly was beginning to feel the horrible side affects this drug was going to bring to her.

Marley had been asleep but woke suddenly when she heard Kadee begin to cry. She was throwing up and it had gotten all over her bed sheets and on her. She was crying and Marley knew this was the start of many days like this.

Joseph had just arrived back with Marley's lunch and he ran over to Kadee and removed her bed sheets and wiped the vomit off of her skin. He sat down beside her in her bed and began to rub her head and calm her and talk to her.

"Shhhhh baby just stop crying, it's ok just relax and think about something happy," he said to Kadee as he rubbed her head and her back and tried to calm her any way he knew how. However it did not take him long to realize that this was more serious than something he could handle.

Kadee's nurse came in not to long after she had begun to cry and vomit. The nurse changed Kadee's gown she had been wearing and asked her questions to help determine what side affects the chemoherapy would have on her. It was different with every patient. Kadee explained to the nurse all the things that was hurting and was bothering her and the nurse recorded the information. Before the nurse left the room Kadee's chemo for the day had ended. The nurse removed the IV bag and placed it on a cart. Kadee stared at it and decided that it had in fact become her enemy.

Today marked the week point of Kadee being in the hospital and life had drastically changed for her and her family. She was beginning to accept the fact that her life was going to change forever. She could not go to school everyday, or be a cheerleader, do ballet, attend church every Sunday, or just be herself anymore. Her life now revolved around a routine of medicines, shots, and people contantly giving sympathy. Nothing anyone said to her or did could take the pain away. However there was one exciting part of the day today that she was looking forward too.

Marley had been admitted to the hospital a few hours ago to have the baby. She had been admitted to the same hospital that Kadee is staying in and Kadee had never been more excited. She was feeling pretty good today and Ma May was staying in the room with her. They had been playing candyland all morning and Kadee kept winning and Ma May would laugh everytime. Ma May was good at coming up with things to keep her mind off of the what was really going on in her life.

"Shew Kadee you keep getting better everytime! I think I have lost all hope of having a chance to even win!" Ma said as she laughed and smiled.

"Daddy has been practicing with me! I am getting good at it! I knew I could beat you!" Kadee said as she broke a big smile that Ma had not seen in a while.

"I can not wait to see your new baby sister!" Ma said as she smiled.

"I want to get her a gift so she will know her big sister loves her!" Kadee said as Ma May smiled at the thought.

"They have a gift shop downstairs in the lobby. If the nurse will let us I can push you in a wheelchair down there for just a minute," Ma said and she watched Kadee as she got so excited for a minute. Ma May went out into the hallway and the nurse came in the room with a wheelchair and agreed that it would be ok as long as she was not gone to long.

"Here baby let me help you sit up, and sit you down in the chair," the nurse said. As Kadee sat down in the chair she started to feel dizzy but after a minute she was able to feel good enough to head downstairs.

When they got down to the gift shop there a beautiful variety of baby clothes in brillant pinks, vibrant purples, and suttle yellows. When Kadee saw the large variety she got super excited. She found what she wanted! There was an adorable set of matching shirts and bows. One of the shirt was a bright pink and had "big sister" embroidered on the shirt with a big purple heart. The other shirt said "little sister" with a big purple heart on it as well and a tutu and tights that matched the shirt and bow. Ma May was excited with the gift and they wrapped the babies outfit in a box.

The lady at the gift counter looked at Kadee in the wheelchair. You could easily tell she was curious what was wrong with Kadee. Kadee bravely looked at her and said "I have cancer ma'am." The lady was taken back by her comment and seemed startled. She looked up and smiled at her with sympathy. She was an older lady who had probably worked at the hospital for decades.

"I want to give you something," the lady said as you could tell she had been touched with the thought she should feel blessed not to be in this little girls shoes. She went out into the merchandaise area of the store and reached on a top shelf for a book. She pulled it off the shelf and wiped a tear from her eye and tried to smile.

Her old wrinkled, worn hands handed the book to Kadee's soft youthful hands and as Kadee stared at the book the women explained her actions, "My granddaughter spent many months in this hospital about a year ago. I think about her every single day and I want you to know I am praying for you baby girl," the women said as she grabbed Kadee by both hands and looked her straight in the eyes as she said this, "My granddaughter would always read this book when she thought there was no hope left for her, she would always say, "Grandma, do you see what this book says on the very first page," and even though I knew what it said every time she told me it seemed to compel me in a different way," the women said as she opened the book up and turned it to the very first page and her shaking fingers pointed to the words on the page, "Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a HOPE,"

Kadee watched as the women suddenly broke into tears and apologized for being so emotional. She explained that Kadee had become an inspiration to her and that if she ever became upset to pull this book out and remember that bible verse. Kadee seemed to be overwhelmed with what this woman had said. Suddenly Kadee had her mind set that she was going to win this battle through HOPE.

Ma May and Kadee thanked the woman for her kindness and headed back up to Kadee's room. On there way back up to the room Ma May recieved a call from Joseph. The baby was here!

On the next day in the afternoon Kadee was back in her room resting in bed. After being back in her room for a while she noticed that she was beginning to feel very sick today and that staying awake was becoming a struggle. As she began to fall asleep she heard a sharp knock on the heavy wooden hospital door. Ma May walked over to the door and she heard her greeting someone with a smile and welcome. Kadee wanted to sit up and see who it was but she felt so weak. She attempted to stay awake and sit up for a minute. As bad as she felt she tried her hardest not to let it show. She watched the door open to her room and it was Marley being pushed in a wheelchair holding the baby in her arms. Joseph followed behing her along with a nurse. Kadee was now happy that she had been awoken to this greeter.

"Guess what Kadee?" Marley said with a big smile on her face.

"What momma?" Kadee said with an even bigger smile on her face.

"We named her Jayden Hope," Marley said with excitement as she stared at Jayden. Kadee looked at Jayden and realized that her newborn baby sister had become a symbol of hope for her. She now realized the importance of Jayden's name and how it would forever affect Kadee's outlook on life.

Joseph held Jayden and laid her on Kadee's bed and Kadee stared at her and held her hand and softly rubbed her arms. The innocence and simplicity of a newborn was so beautiful to her. It inspired her and suddenly she had feel in love with her baby sister. As Kadee continued visiting with her family she realized how bad she felt. She was trying to remember what the old women in the gift shop had told her and she tried to keep a smile on her face for her mom. Marley of course had her camera out taking lots of photos of her girls. All Kadee could think of is how this special family moment would one day haunt her as she remembered the circumstance.

Kadee could hear Carson Jo's little voice as he entered the room. Once we arrived it made it complete. Carson Jo slowly approached Jayden and he laughed when he saw her from excitment.

"My baby sister?" he said as he softly touched her.

"Yes this is Jayden Hope Sterling," Marley said as she smiled with plessure as she watched her oldest babies adore there sister. Ma May picked up Kadee's gift to Jayden in the corner and let Kadee hand it to Marley.

"So did you and Ma May pick this out Kadee?" Marley asked.

"She picked it out!" Ma May said smiling at Kadee, "All by herself!" Kadee agreed and felt plessure from the gift.

Marley opened the gift up and looked at it with smiling adornment. "Oh Kadee it is beautiful! Thank you so much baby!" Marley said as she continued to stare at it.


In the hospital on that cold day it seemed like everything was normal. The family was together and Kadee was happy. They had just added a new member to the family as well which made it even more special. However, even though things seemed so good at the time, they all knew that things were not as good as they seemed. They had not told Kadee the report that her Dr. had given them from her blood counts. They were scared it would frighten her.

The Dr. had came in while Kadee was asleep last night and shared with Ma May that Kadee's test results from several different tests had came back. The tests were to detect what stage her leukimia was in and if it was curable. It was also to detect if the cancer had spread elsewhere. Needless to say the reults came back with not exactly what they had hoped to hear. Marley could still here what the Dr. had said to her replaying like a never ending ring in her head.

"Ms. Sterling I have come today with not the best of news for you. I wish I could in some way make it better for you but I am just here to tell you what the test results said today. I always find it hard to tell my patients parents bad news but sometimes we find answers in the truth. Her bloodwork today only showed the progression of more cancer cells, and that tells us she is in a later stage of this battle. We have found that in her her MRI we took a few days ago that the cancer has spread. She now has a tumor on her brain. I have never seen a patient who has had a cancer to spread as fast as this case has. If it were my child, I can give you my honest opinion as to what I would do. I would continue the chemotherapy with hope it might possibly work, we can submit higher doses and I would also reccommend we plan a surgery to remove as much of the mass on her brain as possible along with radiation to that part of her head. I know this news may seem like the worst thing that has ever happened to you but I will do everything I can to make it easier for you. Just be excpecting her to more than likely go downhill from here."

Marley stared at all of her children and tried to be optimistic for them. After a few minutes of Marley visiting with Jayden, a nurse of Kadee's came into the room. She told them that it was time for Kadee to take another chemo treatment. Kadee was dreading this treatment because since she was recieving higher doses they were administering it differently this time. They had achieved a boosting shot that boosted the effiency of the chemo. Before you gave a child the chemo you would give them five different shots and then administer the chemo.

Marley, Carson Jo, Joseph, and Jayden all went back to Marley and Jayden's hospital room and Ma May and Pa Brody were staying with Kadee. Kadee began to get very nervous about today's treatments. She was having more pain than usual already today and she was not looking forward to being sick from the chemo this afternoon.

After the chemo drip finished Kadee looked over at Ma May and saw that she was in her chair watching television. Kadee was starting to feel the terrible effects of the chemo and as she was about to call for Ma May, Kadee suddenly began to violently shake. Ma May ran to her bedside and screamed for help. Her face had turned a pale white and her heart monitors were suddenly flutuating dangerously. Her heart rate began to suddenly decrease and the nurses and doctors came flying into her room from every direction.

One nurse was checking her pulse and others were quickly administering higher doses of oxygen and after a few moments she was able to stop shaking and calm down. However her eyes were now closed and she was not responding. The first thing Dr. Cross said was that there could be a tumor on her brain that caused her to obviously have a seizure.

It was a cold November morning and flurries of snow were emerging outside the foggy hospital window. The room had now become a quiet, sad, lonely place. Ma May was with Kadee at the hospital and was dressing her for the day. Things had changed. They would never be the same. Ma May put a hat with a big bow attatched to the side on Kadee's bald head. As she put the hat on she was careful of the rough, sewed scar on the side of her smooth, perfect little head. She placed some clean pink socks on her cold feet and rubbed her hand softly. She had been on the venilator for three days after the surgery. Ma May tried to be so optimistic for her but the hopes of Kadee coming out of this seemed to be less as every dreadful ticking hour passed.

After the seizure Dr. Cross recommended that Kadee have surgery and remove the tumor on her brain as much as possible. After the surgery she had been placed on complete venilation. She went into a chemically induced coma state and they hoped that maybe this would help her rest and recover from the seizure and put less stress on her. Even if the stress became less on Kadee, the stress on the family was becoming such an unbearable thought when you even mentioned the hospital.

Even if the tumor had been removed from her brain, she was already in the later stage of the leukimia and it was continually attacking her body. They were still giving her chemotherapy with hopes that this would increase her chances of survival. Marley and Joseph had wondered if they would at least have some time with Kadee when she could respond. However, Dr. Cross was not optimistic.

It had been about two months since Kadee was first admitted to the hospital and the doctors had told Marley, Joseph, and Ma May to excpect Kadee to live at the most another two months. Ma May had become more depressed than any of the family as she had brought her old scrapbooks to the hospital with her today and she looked through Kadee's childhood and accomplishments. It was not fair! Kadee had such a bright future ahead, how could this monster take over a child? Just a sweet, innocent child? Kadee had done nothing wrong to deserve such tramaties and Ma May had suddenly become disgusted with the word cancer.

Ma May sat on Kadee's bedside and held her hand. She stroked it with soft gentle rubs and talked sweetly to her even if she didnt't hear a word she said. When she was talking to her she heard someone come in the room. It was Marley who had Carson Jo and Jayden with her. Jayden was dressed in the adorable outfit that Kadee had picked out for her. Marley seemed to be in shock when she saw Kadee. She had not seen her since the surgery and she was shocked at the reality that her daughter was laying there almost like a lifeless vegetable.

Ma May got up and took Jayden from Marley so that Marley could focus on Kadee. Marley saw fear in Carson Jo's eyes when he looked at his sister who was once a lively active girl and now laying in a hospital bed with no hair and lifeless to the world.

"Mommy I want sissy to come home," Carson Jo said as he started to cry.

Marley picked him up into her lap and rocked him gently as she kissed his forehead realizing that he had grasped what was going on with his sister, "I know baby but sissy has to stay here so that they can make her better. She is not going to be able to play with you anymore like she use to baby," Marley said as she began to cry like a child as well.

"That's not fair! I want to stay here with sissy!" Carson Jo said as he cried saying words between the cries. He got out of Marley's lap and went to Kadee's bed and crawled up in it and put his arms around her legs and laid on top of them as he cried himself to sleep hugging his sissy. Marley watched as she began to become more and more deppressed about the whole situation.

Dr. Cross came in the room a few minutes after Carson Jo had calmed down and fell asleep with his sister. Dr. Cross looked at Kadee and Carson asleep together and was very moved. He just stared for a moment and then he checked on Kadee's scar from the surgery.

"How are you today Ms. Sterling?" Dr. Cross asked Marley.

"Well I am pretty upset that she is only degrading..." Marley said as she broke down in tears again in front of Dr. Cross. Dr. Cross walked over to Marley sitting in a chair staring at her daughter and he patted Marley on the shoulder. "I mean I just don't know what I can do anymore, I am losing part of my family, my pride and my joy and I feel like I have no control over it." Marley told Dr. Cross as she buried her face in her hands between sobs. Ma May sat in the corner of the room rocking baby Jayden and watching her family unfold before her eyes.

Dr. Cross waited until Marley finally pulled herself together and he pulled up a rolling stool beside her. He was carrying with him several folders which appeared to be Kadee's files at the hospital since she had been admitted. He pulled out some papers and relooked at them several times.

"Well, Ms. Sterling I have to say in all the years I have worked in pediatric oncology I have never seen quite the case like this. Kadee here has, as you know, had the tumor from her brain removed. We tested her brain yesterday for damage from the seizure and it showed only damage that is fixable with therapy. I know that right now we have told you that you only have a few months left with her but I am here to try to extend that time if in any way possible. I may have a plan..."

In the midst of all the chaos, Marley had managed to somehow keep her sanity. Kadee had been able to be weaned off of the venilator and was now only on just a small amount of oxygen. Today was the day that was going to make or break the difference in Kadee's life. Kadee's leukimia was only becoming worse as every day seemed to pass. Dr. Cross had came up with a final "try" at Kadee ever being able to win this battle with cancer.

The day was a sunny winter's day and the sun shown enough through the window to melt the fogged layer of cold air, finally allowing Marley to be able to see how out the window. Jayden was sleeping in the car seat beside Marley's chair covered in a blanket and sweetly sucking on a pacifier. Jayden had went everywhere almost with Marley since she had been born. She had been the best baby of her three children. She rarely cried and when she did it did not take her long to become soothed. Dr. Cross looked at baby Jayden sleeping and pointed to her. Marley was confused on this had anything to do with Kadee's situation.

As Dr. Cross began to explain the plan for Kadee that he had, it all became more and more clear to Marley. From the time Jayden was born it seemed as if she had been a symbol of hope for the family however they had not quite figured out what kind of "Hope" she was for the Sterling family or for Kadee for that matter. This was all beginning to make since in Marley's head now for the very first time. In some ways she felt like she was beginning to see a light at the end of a tunnel she thought was going to at some point have an extreme drop off.

In the familiarness of the sterile but colorful hospital room she began to smile and suddenly cry. Unable to control the tears she just thanked Dr. Cross who had shared with Marley significant news.

"We can give Kadee a stem cell transplant to replace her cancer cells with Jayden's new stem cell's," Dr. Cross shared. "When Jayden was born we discovered Kadee and Jayden are stem cell matches. Of course with this type of procedure there are always risks but if it is successful, your daughter with healing time, can be cured of cancer." Dr. Cross said with a reassuring smile.

Marley took sleeping little Jayden out of her car seat swaddled in a blanket and held her in her arms. Kissing her forehead and thanking God that he sent this miracle to save Kadee. Dr. Cross smiled at Marley, "So do you think you are up to try this, I mean if we don't do this I honestly give her less than a month to make it much longer. We can start harvesting the stem cells tomorrow if you are up for it because this is an emergency procedure."

"I will call my husband, he is at work right now but I am sure the news would thrill him. I will let him know what our plan is and see what he says. So will this hurt my little Jayden?" Marley asked with concern as she stared at her angelic like daughter.

"Of course when you use anestizia there is always risks involved but we will do the best we can to keep both Jayden and Kadee as safe as possible. We will want to submit Jayden in the hospital tonight if you want to start this tomorrow, because I don't know how much longer Kadee can make it Ms. Sterling. I have her stable enough right to now to be able to take in the stem cell's, however I do not know how much longer this stabiblity will last." Dr. Cross said with a pleading heart. He picked up his files and walked over and touched Kadee's arm.

"I really do want the best for her, I don't usually get attatched to patients but I have with her," he said as he casually wiped the tears that ran down his face making it look as though they were not there. He apoloized for breaking down in such a way and cleaned himself up, walking out of the room like the proffesional he was.

Ma May had entered the room while they were talking to Dr. Cross and she had heard all of the conversation exchanged between Marley and Dr. Cross. Marley handed Jayden to May May, "What do you think we should do, if it was your child would you take that risk?" Marley asked in despair.

"Well sweetheart, I may be old but I sure am not stupid. I can say one thing, I think Jayden was brought into this world for a reason and I also think that Kadee has a strong chance of dying without the surgery..." Ma May said as she broke down into tears, "And I believe that if we can give this child a chance to live and thrive the way she once did, there is not a thing stopping us. However ultimatly that is going to be up to you and Joseph." Ma May said as she hugged Marley and cried still.

While they continued to sit in the hospital room Marley had stepped out to talk to Joseph who had just came in with Carson Jo. Carson Jo ran in the room to where Kadee's bed was at and he climbed up in the bed with her. Ma May called from the corner of the room to be careful with her. He gently touched her face and kissed her on the cheek. He was telling her stories of a fort he had built outside, one that they had always wanted to build together. He talked as though Kadee could hear every single word he said.

Carson Jo reached in his pocket and pulled out a rock. He laid it in his sister's hand and closed it up. He had brought it to her from the fort he built so she could have at least a piece of it. Carson Jo sat and stared at his sister with her long brown hair replaced by a cotton pink hat and her big smile replaced with only a straight face. She was lifeless on the oxygen today as they awaited for her to come out of her coma.

Carson Jo talked and talked to Kadee about everything she had missed out on ever since she had been in the hospital and in his mind he thought she was hearing every word he said. Carson Jo was smart for his age but this was over his head. Ma May from the corner of the room laughed at the sight of Carson Jo talking. Finally as he began to get down off the bed Kadee suddenly reached her hand out for him and grabbed his wrist.

"Ma! Ma!" Carson Jo screamed with excitement for Ma May.

"What baby, what in the heavan's is the matter with you?" Ma May said until she noticed Kadee's hand holding Carson Jo's. Carson Jo and Ma May suddenly became silent and just watched Kadee. Kadee began to pull at the oxygen tubes in her nose and she pulled them out and began to cry. Her eyes opened and she squinted to the light in the room. Ma May ran to get Marley and Joseph who quickly entered to room from outside. When they came in Joseph ran over to Kadee and let her cry on his shoulder.

Kadee was scared when she woke up in the room so foreign to her. When she recognized her father she stopped crying and sat and stared at him with a very confused look. She glanced at Marley, Ma May, and Carson Jo and hid her face into her father's shirt. When they saw she was embarrassed they stepped back to give her some space for a minute. The seizure, brain surgery, and coma state had messed some with her mind but it would all be soon fixable with no problem. She just needed some therapy to work on her memorization.

Joseph tenderly explained to Kadee what has going on and as she listened she began to understand and remember how serious of a situation she was really in. Joseph calmed Kadee and after a few moments Dr. Cross walked in and saw that Kadee was awake. He quietly stepped over to Kadee's bedside. He was happy to see she was well enough to possibly get the stem-cell transplant but also curious as to what her current state was. Marley stepped over to where Dr. Cross was standing and announced some very important news.

"We want the surgery." Marley said very suttle to Dr. Cross who only shook his head with the brightest smile Marley had ever seen on the man.

"Wise decision. Very wise."

The following day felt like the craziest day of Marley and Joseph's life. Jayden had been admitted into the hospital and they successfully harvested her stem cells. The cold winters day appeared a little warmer now that everything was going smoothly for once.

They had dressed Kadee in a clean gown and were prepping her for what they called "conditioning" this was a must before the stem cell transplant could occur. Marley and Joseph were cherishing every moment with her before the surgery because after the surgery it would be a while before she was able to communicate much. This had become a last effort in curing Kadee. Quite possibly you could say this had become a last hope.

As the nurses entered the room Kadee had become quite frantic about the cleansing and high doses of chemotherapy she was going to have to recieve today. She started to cry and scream for Joseph acting like a small child never being taught manners before. The mature child Kadee had always been had now faded. It was like she had been taken back in time and Joseph and Marley were concerned but tried to understand the pressure she was under every single day.

The nurse told Marley and Joseph that when they started the cleansing that they would have to leave the room because Kadee would be extremley acceptable to germs. Kadee was still awake and crying and Joseph found it hard to leave his daughter who was crying for him.

"Baby please daddy has to go so that you can get better."

"Daddy don't leave me, please daddy."

"Trust me ok Kadee, I would never do something to you that I thought might hurt you. I just want you to feel better. The nurses are going to take good care of you today and then tomorrow you get to have the surgery and feel all better. But daddy has to leave. I love you Kadee Monroe Sterling."

"I love you too daddy," Kadee said as she closed her eyes and dozed into a sleep. The nurse helping Kadee was in all sterile blue uniform with masks, gloves, shoe covers, and everything to keep germs from Kadee's room. The nurse winked at Joseph and Marley as she started the chemotherapy.

Joseph and Marley walked out of the Kadee's room with uncertainty and went upstairs in the hospital to visit Jayden. They still had to harvest another round of her stem cells today and this meant she had to stay in the hospital longer. They found her room and when they entered they had her in a tiny hospital crib sleeping softly with a pacifier in her mouth and a pink hospital cap on.

Marley and Joseph took a seat on the couch in her room and sat back and closed there eyes to reminise on the past several months and everything that had since come fourth.

"You know we are a really strong family..." Marley told Joseph.

"Yeah we are, but I have learned something through this whole experience Marley Kate," Joseph said as he addressed his wife in a playful manner.

"What's that?"

"Well at the end of the day there are some things that money just can't buy, and my daughter's health is one of them."

"I know and if we could do more, I know that we would...because we love her."

There were so many things that had changed there life. They now had a daughter who was deathly sick with cancer, they had a new baby, and now both there daughters lives were being put at risk. As bad as it seemed they suddenly heard a knock at the door.

"Are you Mr. and Ms. Sterling?" the man at the door asked.

"Yes, yes we are, how can we help you?" They asked as they shook the man's hand and stepped out into the hallway so that the wouldn't wake little Jayden.

"My name is Paxton Larden and I am one of the board members here at the hospital. We have hundreds of childrens that come in and out of our doors every single day. However, I have never been so compelled by a families story as I have yours..." Paxton said as he began to have tears form in his eyes. "The hospital would like to do something special for your family. We had a meeting yesterday to discuss several different families who are active members here at the hospital. Your family was mentioned and as I heard your story I was so compelled by what your family has gone through. The fact that your newborn daughter is almost like the saving grace in this whole story. It is quite incredible really."

"We have tried to stay together as a family through it all and we feel very blessed to still have our family together, and we hope that we can continue that," Joseph replied to this man who seemed to have some sort of idea to propose.

"Yes sir, and I hope and pray you all continue to be there for your children because we see that with many parents this is not the case," Paxton said as he looked down at the ground figetting with his feet and looking back up at Joseph and Marley, "We would like to have you all in our monthly magazine as the highlight family of the year, and we would also like for you to know that your family is being prayed for everyday. I talked to Ms. Jean in the gift shop the other day and she spoke with me about your daughter and how she had touched her." Paxton said with a smile.

"Yes Ms. Jean was very nice to Kadee that day. She gave her a book that actually we have been very touched by. We would love to be featured in your magazine but we would like to wait until afer Kadee's stem cell transplant coming up because it is going to be a long week until then." Joseph replied with good intentions.

As they continued to talk to Paxton it seemed as if maybe things were going uphill a little instead of down. They sat down in Jayden's room where she had woke up a few minutes earlier and was beginning to cry. Marley picked her up all entangled in wires and tubes and swaddled her close with a blanket. She quickly calmed down and fell back asleep, satisfied with the comfort and warmth of her mother.

The room where Jayden was at in the hospital suddenly got a little brighter when a glimpse of sunshine shown through the window. For the first time since Kadee had been diagnosed Marley began to smile a little bit and feel a small amount of peace flow through her. Joseph slept in the corner of the room in a rocking chair and for once this hospital felt like the comfort of home.

Marley thought about Carson Jo who had been so brave through this whole experience. He had been jumping around from his home to Ma May and Pa Brody's. He was slowly adjusting to the routine though. He was always a good little boy and was so easy to teach but most of his personality came from looking up to his big sister Kadee. Marley hoped and prayed that Carson Jo would continue to have that same strength, perserverance, and drive that Kadee has always had in life. Somehow she felt reassured that he would and she had nothing to worry about in this moment of peace and comfort.

Sitting in the sterile waiting room with primary colors and the same blue chairs scattered throughout the waiting room, Marley, Joseph, Carson Jo, Ma May, and Pa Brody all sat waiting on the news of Kadee's surgery. She had been back in surgery for two hours already. After a week of extremley high dose chemotherapy to kill as many cancer cells as possible, Kadee was now having this risky surgery on a bitter cold day in Febuary.

Carson Jo was eating chicken nuggets and playing in the floor with cars he had brought from the house. He had fixed a play spot on a table in the middle of the room. It seemed to keep him occupied and for that, they were very happy. Everyone else was trying to keep themselves occupied by either watching the television in the waiting area or talking about something else besides the scary reality of Kadee's surgery.

They had gotten Kadee a surprise for when she got out of surgery. She had always wanted an American Girl doll. So Marley had ordered her one along with the dolls very own wheelchair and hospital gown. They still had it all in the box to open for Kadee when she was able to wake up from the surgery. She had been such a strong girl throughout the stay at the hospital and they were more than proud of her, especially through the last week when they were not allowed to go in her room but for a few minutes because of germs before her surgery.

After another hour of intense waiting they got the news they had been anticipating for hours.

"Family of Kadee Monroe Sterling," a nurse with sterile blue scrubs and a mask said walking into the waiting room. Marley and Joseph got up to go with the lady while Ma May and Pa Brody stayed with Carson Jo to occupy him.

As they walked down a long hallway a nurse led them into a room. "The surgery was successful according to Dr. Cross and you must wear these masks wash your hands and arms before we can allow you to go see her, she must stay in a sterile enviornment and be given filtered air for the next month at least so that her body can be free of germs. You are some lucky parents that a sister saved her sisters life." the nurse said smiling and handing them the masks and leading them to the hand washing station.

The nurse led Marley and Joseph through several electronically opened doors needing specific passcodes in order to enter. After they finally reached the recovery room where Kadee would stay after surgery for the next few hours, she was laying on a hospital bed hooked to even more monitors and IV lines than before. Her face was pale like a pure white and any sign of life didn't seem to be present. She was on oxygen that was being filtered so that she was able to stay germ free. The main goal was to make sure her body would accept the stem cells in the next few weeks and if everything worked out, Kadee would become a living miracle.

They sit and stared at her for a long time but they did not feel sad or uncertain. They felt as if this was the best decision they had ever made and the fact that it involved both of there daughters was something they had never excpected. What was even more crazy about it all was the fact that Jayden Hope Sterling had in fact become the hope that her sister so desperatly needed. Now, Kadee Monroe and Jayden Hope would be connected in a way two sisters had never before been connected. What a treasure of children god had given them

Today Kadee had woken up from the surgery and was slowly becoming more and more alert. They had given her many medications so that her body would accept the stem cells from her sister. So far, Kadee was doing as great as they could have never excpected and Dr. Cross was coming in the room carrying a huge folder of Kadee's files and results from some tests done after her surgery.

Dr. Cross, Marley, and Joseph were all wearing there sterile clothing and masks and sat in the corner of the room in three chairs. Dr. Cross shook Marley and Josephs hands and pulled out the results of Kadee's bloodwork that they had done today to detect cancer cells in her blood.

"Mr. and Ms. Sterling, I have come to you today with the best news I can possibly give you. I read over her bloodwork samples done this morning. According to this sheet, your daughter has been put on remission from leukimia."

"What is remission?" Marley asked hoping it was a good thing.

"Remisson means as of now she is cancer free and we will continue to closely monitor her blood counts to make sure we do not see more cancer cells reappear, but usually in a successful stem cell transplant, they stay gone like this once they are gone, congrats Sterling family!" Dr. Cross said with a feeling of achievement that his medical skills have saved this little girl from an extreme and deadly cancer.

Marley and Joseph both began to cry as if someone had taken a giant weight off of their shoulders. They hugged each other closer than they ever had and for a moment they felt like the absolute luckiest parents anyone could ever be. They smiled and continued to cry with happiness as they looked over at Kadee who was playing with her new doll in bed. Dr. Cross got up and hugged Marley and Joseph and they all said a breif prayer of thanks to the lord and were reminded of Ms. Jean's book.

Marley, wiping the tears from her eyes, quoted the verse Kadee had once said that Ms. Jean had told her. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the lord, plans to give you a hope and a future." Marley smiled and smiled until her cheeks began to hurt and she became even more thankful that she had decided to get pregnant with Jayden Hope. She had truely saved her sister's life.

Dr. Cross hugged Marley and Joseph once more and then gave them time to take it all in. Joseph immediatly called Ma May and Pa Brody who screamed through the phone with excitement. They were overjoyed just as Marley and Joseph were and immediatly rushed to the hospital. They had decided that before Ma May and Pa Brody arrived that they would tell Kadee.

Joseph walked over to where Kadee's bed was in the room and he sat on the edge of the bed and smiled at her. She smiled back at him and laughed for the first time in months. "Kadee I have something I want to tell you," Joseph said as he held her hand stiff with IV's. "The Dr. just told us you don't have cancer any more and that means your getting better and might finally get to go back home in a few weeks baby." Joseph said trying to contain the tears that were forming once again in his eyes. Kadee looked at him and leaned in to hug him without a word. She hugged her daddy closely for a good ten minutes and Joseph never let go. He picked Kadee up and sat his bald headed but absolutely beautiful daughter in his lap. He hugged her closely as she continued to hug him.

Ma May and Pa Brody came into Kadee's room and they stood back with Marley watching Kadee adore her father with the news she had been waiting to hear. Suddenly in a raspy, high pitched, child-like voice they heard Kadee talk for the first time since her surgery.

"I told you I wouldn't give up daddy," Kadee said as she smiled.

"I knew my Kadee would never give up on anything, I am so proud of you baby girl," Joseph said as they cherished this moment of happiness in the hospital room, in the center of the city, high up on the 6th floor on a cold Febuary morning.

Jayden was being released from the hospital today and they had brought all of her things to take her home in and could not wait to get started taking care of there beautiful, miracle daughter. Marley went up to Jayden's room to get her while Joseph stayed with Kadee. Marley went upstairs and found the nurse to be unhooking her from all of the hospital devices and putting band aids on some of her scars. The nurse changed her diaper and took her hospital outfit off.

"We just fed her, so she is awake and happy this morning, the medicine she needs to take for the next week is all ready in this bag here," the nurse said smiled and looking at Jayden.

"Thank you for your help, I am just happy to get her back," Marley said as she picked her bare skinned little infant up out of the hospital crib. She kissed her and then laid her back down to get dressed. Marley had brought a pink headband with a big blue bow attatched to it along with a matching set of comfy pajamas with pink and blue owls all over it. On the front of the pajamas was her name embroidered "Jayden Hope" always reminding them of the special hope she had brought to the family.

Marley picked Jayden up and put her in her car seat to carry her back down to Kadee's room where they were now allowed to have any visitors that they wished. When they arrived Paxton was waiting for Marley and Jayden to return. He had his camera with him, ready to take photos of the family. Marley had brought Carson Jo a blue button up and jeans, along with dress clothes for her and Joseph. Kadee was sitting up in bed doing very well watching TV and eating some applesauce. She seemed to be feeling well this morning and that pleased Marley and Joseph.

After everyone was ready they all gathered around the bed to take pictures for the hospital's magazine. The title being, "A family's hope for a miracle becomes a reality." The whole family was finally together for there first photo with all five of them since Jayden had been born. Joseph, Marley, Kadee, Carson Jo, and Jayden. Everyone was smiling as big as they could smile and in the picture Kadee held her new doll close beside her. Everyone was smiling from ear to ear and it seemed as if the Sterling family was now united again. Together the way family's are supposed to be. At the end of the day Marley, Jospeh, and the whole family had learned one important thing. Cancer does not win every battle. Fight hard.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.