The Diner | Teen Ink

The Diner

By irishsista14 PLATINUM, Southborough, Massachusetts
irishsista14 PLATINUM, Southborough, Massachusetts

“Please, Rachel. Please stop. Please...” Jack’s voice faltered and he looked away from his girlfriend; well make that his ex-girlfriend now. But even though he was focused on the window to his left, he knew her piercing blue eyes were still staring at him pitifully.
“I’m sorry Jack. You don’t know how sorry I am. I just...I just love him okay? I just love him.”
“More than me apparently,” he muttered spitefully. His eyes darted back to her and silently pleaded with her. Rachel tucked a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear, one of the many things she often did when she was nervous. He always found it kind of cute. But right then he hated it.
“You know I love you, Jack. I do. I really do love you.” She reached out her slender hand and placed it over his larger one. She smiled weakly at him.
“No you don’t! You don’t love me, or you wouldn’t be doing this. How can you do this? It was just last week that we carved our initials in that stupid tree in your woods. Just one week ago! ‘Forever and always’ remember?” Her beautiful blue eyes watered up and she quietly sat back in her seat, taking her hand back with her. Jack shook his head and turned back to the window on his left. A red car passed by the small diner where they had been sitting for only ten minutes. And in those ten minutes, Rachel had shattered his heart. “Today was our one year anniversary, you know. One year ago from today I asked you to be my girlfriend. We kissed for the first time that day, too.” He said it almost to himself, but Rachel was listening from across the table.
“I know, Jack,” she sighed.
“It’s funny how long something good can last…and how quickly it can end. Isn’t it? How one day you’re the happiest man alive and then the next, the one thing that made your life worth living is just taken away from you. Just like that,” he snapped his fingers and gave her a sad smile. “One year,” he looked down at his lap and smiled again.
Rachel watched in horror from across the table as Jack revealed a small black box and placed it on the placemat in front of her. “Oh, Jack” she sobbed and put her face in her hands.
A single tear ran down Jack’s face. “I love you.” Then he stood up, put a ten dollar bill on the table next to the box holding an engagement ring, and walked out of the diner.

“Now would ya look at that?” Betty nudged Joanne’s arm and pointed in the direction of the diner entrance. In walked a small boy, probably not yet ten years old, back hunched from the burlap sack he struggled to carry. He glanced around the diner nervously then chose a spot in the corner booth. When he passed Betty and Joanne at the counter he gave them a slight smile. They smiled back and Joanne even said, “Good morning, sir!” That made the boy beam, exposing an adorable gap-toothed grin from ear to ear. Then he quickly scurried to his booth.
“I’ll take this one,” Joanne whispered to Betty and as she made her way across the diner, she grabbed a freshly baked muffin and a small cup of coffee. When she had arrived at the boy’s table, he was looking blankly down at his hands. “Coffee and a muffin on the house,” she said and he looked at her suspiciously. “Sunday special,” Joanne added, crossing her heart with her fingers. That seemed to reassure the child and he eagerly accepted the meal. When he tasted the coffee, however, he grimaced. Joanne laughed to herself. “Hot chocolate it is then. No charge.”
“So did he say anythin’?” Betty whispered once Joanne was back at the counter. Betty was always very nosey about the customers that came into the diner, especially unfamiliar faces. Joanne shook her head as she began to make a new pot of hot chocolate.
“No…he didn’t say a word.”
“Well you simply must get that boy to talk! A kid that young doesn’t just waltz into a diner with a sack all alone and have no juicy story behind it.”
Joanne rolled her eyes and looked around the diner. There were only a few other customers in the place; she could spare the time. “Hey Betty, why don’t you go tend to that beautiful young couple over yonder. They look mighty distressed, so be nice.”
After Betty had agreed, Joanne fixed up a steaming cup of hot cocoa with a dollop of whipped cream on top and brought it over to the child. When he accepted it, she sat down in the seat across the table. “So. You gonna tell me about it or do I have to guess?” The boy looked up at her and shrugged. “Well you have to talk sometime. Now I’m not gonna leave you alone until you do so I suggest you start to talkin’ young man.”
At that moment the boy actually looked up at her, his eyes full of loneliness. “I don’t know what to say, Miss. I’m real sorry.” He quickly looked back down once he had spoken, as if it were the first words he’d said his entire life. Joanne studied him closely, from his tiny dirty hands to the troubled expression written on his dirty face. But other than that he looked like he hadn’t been out on the streets for more than a day.
“What ya got there in that bag?” She nodded to his burlap sack that he had protectively placed in his lap.
He stirred his hot chocolate, his eyes still downcast. “A few apples, some bread, a bottle of water, a blanket. I don’t know…a few things.”
“Are you running away?” Joanne asked softly.
He nodded. Joanne heard Betty talking with the couple by the window.
“So what’re your names?” Betty chattered loudly. “I remember seein’ you fine couple in here before. Has been a while though, so please excuse my askin’.”
“Jack,” The man at the table said, pointing to himself. “And this is my…this is Rachel. Could we actually have a few more minutes to decide?” Betty nodded and after giving them a curious look, went to go tend to the other hungry customers.
Joanne turned her attention back to the boy, who she surprisingly found to be staring at her intently. Joanne was old, she’d lived her life, but the one thing she had never done was have children. She ran one of her wrinkled fingers over the pearl on her ear as she thought. Then suddenly she knew. “I ran away once,” She said to the boy and he gave a small giggle. “It’s true! When I was six I ran away from home. Just up and took some things, much like what you’re doin’, and left. I went runnin’ to the hills on the other side of the county.”
“Why’d you run away?”
“Well because! I had just gotten my heart broken by the love of my life,” She joked and laughed when the child stuck out his tongue. “And I was just plum tired of doin’ my chores. Funny, aint it?”
The boy was laughing then, his face alight with amusement and pure joy. But after a few seconds he grew serious again. He was quiet for a while and then, “You know why I’m runnin’ away?” Joanne shook her head and leaned across the table towards him to listen. “My mommy and daddy don’t love me no more. They’ve grown plum tired of me. I didn’t know what else to do.” Joanne nodded and he sighed.
“Well young man, let me tell you a little secret. I have no children of my own, but I know this for sure, from the bottom of my heart, that no parent can ever stop lovin’ their own. Never. I’m sure your Ma and Pa love you very much. I do know that parents can get mad at their kids and it can seem like they don’t love you anymore then but…you see, parents’ hearts are like the ocean. You’d think the ocean would just dry up, like a lake or creek would, but it never does. And even if the ocean started goin’ down and down and down, there would still be ocean water left someone on the earth, because the ocean never runs out of water. Much like how a parents’ heart never runs out of love. You get it?” The boy shrugged but didn’t look convinced. Joanne gave him a warm smile and covered his tiny hand with her old wrinkled one. “Look here, I’ve only known you for a few short minutes and I already have a heart full of love for you, young man. But your parents have known you your entire life, so their hearts must be full of even more love for you.”
His eyes lit up with hope. “You think?”
“I know,” Joanne squeezed his hand. Just then Betty came bustling over to the booth they were seated at.
“Oh! You would not believe what just happened. I noticed a Trooper car parked outside the diner so I went to go see what he wanted and he said that a little boy’s parents are lookin’ for him all over town! They’re puttin’ up flyers and gettin’ all their neighbors to help look for him,” Betty looked down at the boy and smiled. “Honey, the whole town’s lookin’ for you! Now if you’ll just get your things together I’ll escort you to the Trooper who will take you to your parents, okay?” The boy shot up off his seat, his face the picture of happiness. Joanne stood up as well and shared a smile with Betty. “Here I’ll take your things.” Betty said and began walking towards the door, but the boy hung back a bit.
“Thank you, Miss,” he smiled at Joanne and Joanne smiled back, tears threatening her eyes. “I guess this is goodbye…”
“Now just hold on a minute,” Joanne said sternly. Then she grabbed a napkin and took out a pen from her apron, jotted down a few things then handed it to the boy. “My home address and phone number, in case you ever need another hot chocolate.” In one swift motion the boy had Joanne in an embrace only a child can give, full of love and affection. Then he started hurrying after Betty.
Joanne noticed the young couple, Rachel and Jack, was watching with a look of sadness and earning as the little boy skipped through the diner. “Young man!” Joanne called after him. The boy turned around at the door with a puzzled expression. “You may call me Miss Joanne.”
He flashed his gap-toothed grin once again. “The name’s Tommy. But I think Young Man suits me more.” Then with a silly wink and a wave, he was headed back home.

“Richard, I really don’t know why you insist on us going to this diner every Sunday! It’s really unnecessary,” Martha said to her husband as he opened the door of the diner for her.
“This is the place where I met the most beautiful woman in the world: you,” Richard gave her a kiss on the cheek as she passed by him. A little bell jingled as they entered the diner. Once inside they made their way over to their usual table by the window overlooking the tall oak tree. Sixty years ago it had been planted there, it was merely a sapling then, and the old couple had watched it every Sunday grow more and more just like their love for each other did.
“Oh Richard, I do love you,” Martha sighed and held his hand from across the table. Just then the waitress came by to take their order.
“What will it be today folks?” But when the waitress saw their faces she recognized the couple. “Well if it isn’t old Martha and Richard! I should’ve been expectin’ you here, but I had just plain forgotten it was Sunday! How are the two love birds on this fine afternoon?”
“Oh we’re just fine, Betty,” Martha smiled. “You’re looking well today.”
“As well as can be expected at fifty,” Betty huffed and shook her head. “I still can’t believe you two have been together for sixty years! If only my husband and I were as passionate for each other as you two are. Let me guess…the usual?” Martha and Richard nodded simultaneously. “Right then, I’ll be right out with your order.”
When Betty had retreated back to the counter, Richard and Martha turned their attention back to each other. They sat in comfortable silence, staring into each other’s eyes, hands interlocked, until Betty returned ten minutes later with Richard’s two eggs and ham and Martha’s chocolate-chip pancakes. Betty also carried on her tray two glasses of orange juice.
“You know, it’s been quite a day here today,” Betty chattered excitedly. “About twenty minutes ago a little boy came in here, runnin’ away he was. Joanne talked to him a bit and before long, the Troopers were here to collect him! Oh, it was so excitin’!” Richard and Martha only nodded and smiled; they were used to her ramblings every time they came to the diner. “You two enjoy your meal. And happy anniversary!” Betty clapped her hands together with a grin and then scurried away.
Richard and Martha began to eat their weekly brunch, talking all the while about little things; how the neighbors were doing, whether they should get new curtains for the parlor, if Martha should continue her gardening because she has been feeling a little under the weather lately. But while they were chatting, Richard couldn’t help but notice a beautiful young lady sitting by herself a few tables down. She was crying a little and right in front of her on the table laid a little black box. Richard knew what it was, since he had bought a very similar thing sixty years ago for the love of his life, Martha. Suddenly the girl looked up and caught him staring at her. She wiped her eyes and stood up in a frantic. She began to leave the diner, taking the engagement ring with her, but as she passed the table in which Richard and Martha were seated she faltered for a moment and looked at them.
Martha looked up at the young woman and smiled. “Hello, dear. My, what a stunning girl you are! And that lovely blonde hair…the man who winds up with you will have to be quite a man.” Martha winked and looked at Richard who smiled and squeezed her hand. The girl looked down at her feet in deep thought. But after a minute she looked up again, her face bright and shining with happiness.
“Thank you,” She beamed and continued towards the door in a hurry.
Martha watched the girl leave wistfully. “I wish we were as young as her again.”
“I don’t wish that, Martha. I have enjoyed everyday I’ve spent with you. Growing old together has been the highlight of my life,” Richard’s old mouth curved in love. But Martha didn’t smile back. She sank back in her seat and it was then that Richard noticed she had hardly touched her food. “What’s wrong, my love?”
Martha breathed heavily and said, “I’m just tired I guess. It’s been a long day.”
“The day has hardly started. This isn’t like you…maybe we should go see a doctor.” Richard started to get up but Martha pulled him back down gently.
“No, Richard. I want to stay here. We’ve spent every Sunday here since the day we met, and I’m certainly not going to let a little drowsiness take that away from us. Maybe if I had a little water-” All of a sudden Martha was on the floor, her hand to her heart. Richard flew to her side.
“Somebody call 911!! Betty! Joanne!”
****
“Betty I just got this letter in the mail. Come quick! It’s from Martha and Richard!” Joanne shouted and Betty came running to her side, wiping her hands on her apron.
“It’s a good thing we haven’t opened the diner up yet; I’m a mess!” Betty muttered under her breath. “So, what does it say?”
Joanne read silently, her eyes darting across the letter. “It was written the day before they died. Here, read it for yourself.” Joanne handed it to Betty and she read aloud:
To our dearest friends,
We thank you for all the kindness and hospitality you have shown us over the years. You two old gals are one of a kind, truly. I regret to tell you that Martha is dying, as am I. After Martha’s heart attack last week, she has been quickly deteriorating. And in turn, I feel old for the first time in my life. My Martha will be going soon and I won’t be long after her. So inside this letter I’ve enclosed a copy of part of Martha’s and my will. It was Joanne’s parents who owned the place when we met, and they were very kind to us. We’re so happy you were able to keep your family’s diner going, Joanne; it has brought so many people together over the years. Friendship, love, and happiness are what you bring to all your customers here in this old town. Choosing your friend Betty to help run the diner with you was a very wise choice. We couldn’t be more proud of you two; you’re like daughters to us. We hope our donation will be of help to your cause there at the diner. Promise us you won’t abandon it? Coming to your diner is a very special experience for everyone. Thank you for everything. I’m sure we’ll see each other again someday.
Love,
Richard and Martha
P.S.
Could you reserve our table every Sunday at ten? Remember, it’s two eggs and ham for me and chocolate chip pancakes for Martha.

“Wow,” Betty wiped her eyes on her sleeve. “They were like one, those two. I still can’t believe they both died the same night in each other’s arms.”
“They couldn’t live a day without each other,” Joanne whispered. The two women stood in silence for a few minutes, both overcome with grief. Then all of a sudden there was a pounding on the door.
“Hello! Are you open yet?” A woman’s voice came from outside in which the sun had hardly risen yet. Betty smoothed out her apron and then hurried to the door and unlocked it.
“Come in, come in!” Betty opened the door wide for the woman. Then she noticed there was a man with her as well. Betty also noticed after a second that she recognized the couple. “Weren’t you in here the other week?” The girl nodded. “Rachel is it?” Rachel nodded again. She looked as if she were about to burst from excitement. “Now let’s see…there is something different about you. I just can’t put my finger on it.” Rachel laughed and ran her left hand through her hair dramatically, letting her hand linger in the air for a while.
“Is that a ring I see on that finger?” Joanne shouted from across the empty diner.
“It sure is!” Rachel said proudly.
“Oh how excitin’! But oh no, I’ve clear forgotten your name, honey. I’m gettin’ old I’m afraid,” Betty gave a small laugh and the man next to Rachel smiled.
“It’s Jack,” Jack said softly, pulling Rachel next to his side.
“I have a feeling we just met the next Richard and Martha,” Joanne whispered to Betty and the two old women laughed as they pulled the newly engaged couple into a warm embrace only old diner girls can give.