Blue Kiss | Teen Ink

Blue Kiss

June 16, 2013
By Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
More by this author
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
114 articles 0 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")


I never really thought we’d get the chance to be famous.


















Maddy, Frankie, Jason, Gabby and I.





















Junior bands don’t usually get that lucky, you know. Not us.

















But we did get our shot at fame, and we would do anything to get it – even if it meant losing everything.






























It was Maddy’s dad who found the leaflet, entered us. We were, coincidentally, in band practice at the time.






























Frankie was playing bass strings on his guitar while Jason banged at his drums; Gabby harmonising over a microphone. And I was writing the lyrics for our next song – not for anything major, just the Christmas concert at school. It was called Lilac Girl and it wasn’t very good. Then again, we were running on limited time, and we still hadn’t got it quite right – and I hadn’t finished the song.


























I bit my lip now, trying to concentrate. Somehow the words just wouldn’t come. It didn’t help that everyone was relying on me. So far, I hadn’t failed them yet – and that was scary.







As well as amateur song writing, I did the backing vocals. Maddy was lead singer, Gabby the harmonist. It worked well and I didn’t mind that my best friend got noticed more than my lyrics. That was okay. Maddy was born to be in the spotlight, and I lived in the background. It was the way I liked it.



































Frankie, of course, was our sole guitarist. And he was pretty good at adapting to the stuff I wrote – he could play slow, fast; rock, pop, country; you name it. Jason did light drumming to back up the sound of the guitar, and he could set into really easy tones; tones that exactly matched the feel of the song.

























So yes, we were amateurs, but we worked damn hard at it.















“Where’s Maddy?” Frankie said as he tested the strings on his instrument.











For the past few months, they had been going out. I couldn’t deny they made a cute couple – but it was annoying to come second best to a boy. Not that I didn’t like Frankie – I did. I just preferred it when we were all friends. And I always wondered what would happen if they split up. Would the band break up, too? After everything we had worked for?









“She said there was ‘something she had to do’,” I said, frowning over my scribbled piece of paper.



































The last few lines wouldn’t go right. With a sigh, I crossed the whole paragraph out. I already had a headache from three hours of solid practising, and now this. I had never been fantastic under pressure – not like the others, but I was trying my best. Stage presence wasn’t my greatest strength, either; so I put everything I had into my songs. Our songs. Because I may have written them, but performing was a group effort. And hearing the things I wrote performed by my best friends…it felt amazing. Like I maybe wasn’t so boring and ordinary and talentless after all.


























“She didn’t say anything to me,” Frankie said. He watched me thoughtfully as I screwed the piece of paper into a ball. “What’s up?”




















What’s up? The Christmas concert is in two weeks and I haven’t even finished the song. My head is splitting and my best friend has disappeared to do unknown stuff. Nothing’s up, Frankie. Life is great.


























I decided to give up the pretence. “I can’t think of a way to end the song,” I said, feeling as though I was admitting defeat. “And if I don’t finish it soon, we won’t be ready to perform.”






I crossed out yet another sentence starter. Right now, song writing sucked.









“Maybe you should take a break,” Frankie said. “Stop trying to think about the perfect ending, and just let the words come.”





















I stared at him in surprise. Since when was Frankie a lyric guru? Since today, apparently. Everyone was acting kind of weird. Maddy, Frankie – even me. No wonder I couldn’t think of anything with all of this whirling round my head. It was like a flipping merry-go-round.





“But you’ve got most of it, right?” Jason said, looking up from his drums. “We can work the ending in later.”


































“Yeah, I guess,” I said, feeling he didn’t fully understand. If the words wouldn’t come today, then why tomorrow? Or ever?


























































When I wrote, I could feel the passion moving through my fingertips – the urge to jot down everything, in song form. But right now – I just felt an ache where I had been writing too hard. Not like me at all. And very worrying. Worse now they all knew I was in epic failure mode. Now they’d be waiting for the eureka moment to hit.














My phone vibrated in my pocket. It didn’t take a genius to work out which of my friends had just texted me, and I was interested to find out what my so-called best friend had to say for herself. She had left us practising by ourselves for over an hour now. She just ditched us after lunch and rushed off, mumbling about having something important to get done.









You guys so owe me. Exciting news on the way. Talk to you later! Maddyx.










I began to get misgivings. This wasn’t the first time she had announced something like this, and it never ended well. I prepared myself for the next bomb shell. Or maybe it was something stupid – like her mum had bought her a new bag. I didn’t like badmouthing my friends – but Maddy came from another world. Another planet, sometimes. Though she always had the cheek to call me crazy. Can you imagine?













OK, so I was a little stressed out at the moment. But not crazy.












“It’s Maddy,” I said to the others. “I think she’s on the way. With exciting news.”


















Together, my friends groaned. So I wasn’t completely jumping to conclusions, then. Still, I wished she’d hurry up and get here. We all fiddled, forgetting about my unfinished song and Frankie’s guitar strings and Jason’s quest to find the perfect drumstick. Even Gabby stopped singing and sat down with us, a little jumpy.


















“Maybe she’s got a new boyfriend,” I said, grinning.





















Frankie shoved me. “She wouldn’t dare,” he said, “I’m the best thing that ever happened to her.”






























“In your dreams, mate,” Jason said – and we all laughed at Frankie’s expense.









The doors bashed open. All four heads twisted round to face our last band mate. I looked at her for signs of a new dress; a new accessory; new shoes. But no, she was wearing the same jeans and stripy top from this morning. Her beautiful, pale blonde hair was tied back in a perfectly straight ponytail down her chest, each strand perfect. That was Maddy. Too perfect.




“You guys are going to love me,” Maddy said, sitting in between Frankie and me. “I can’t believe it actually worked!”






























“What worked?” we all said at once.























This was typical of her, of course. Getting everyone all hyped up for her latest stories – and it worked, too. We practically strained at the leash to find out.

















“I got my Dad to enter us in a competition!” she said, a smile spreading across her face as she took in our shock.



























“What competition?” Frankie said.
























“When?” I said – I was rushed off my feet with writing lyrics for the concert as it was.



“A real competition?” Jason said.
























“Something outside of school?” Gabby added.

















“People, please,” Maddy said, still with that Cheshire-cat smile. Which was starting to get really annoying. “I will answer all your questions – one at a time.”












Slowly, Maddy started to explain. We learned the competition was called Young Stars, set up by a company wanting to find the band of tomorrow. It was open to groups aged between twelve and sixteen – all would have to audition to get to the ‘next stage’ – sort of like a boot camp. And then the final battle of the bands, and the winners got -














“The chance to record a song in a studio!” Maddy said. “Can you believe it, guys?”







I sat back, stunned. No way no way no way…























This was a dream. Or maybe a nightmare. Because I was sure to mess up – I couldn’t even get the stupid concert lyrics right. How would I write one for a major competition, against numerous talented bands – some older, more talented, experienced? How could my songs catapult us to fame and a recording studio? It was unreal. Impossible. But somehow close enough to touch. My partially written song lay abandoned on the notepad.














“But I don’t understand,” Jason said, “how did you get us involved in all this? Isn’t it kind of inclusive if it’s so big?”


























“Well duh,” Maddy said, rolling her eyes. “Which is where my dad comes in.”








I could guess the rest. Her Dad – Bernard Taylor – was a major businessman; and he had serious contacts. Maddy had always been able to get whatever she wanted – why should this be any different? Even if it meant putting us all under the spotlight?











“This is…this is…wow,” Gabby said, her brown eyes alight with possibilities.







And it was. Like I said, stuff like this didn’t happen to beginner bands like us. We practised in Maddy’s garage for goodness sake! The band just started off as a hobby for fun, five friends messing around with instruments and mikes. And then we started getting told we were actually pretty good, and we started performing to a bigger audience than our parents. But nothing like this had ever come knocking at our door. We had never had a proper chance. Dreams of being famous…weren’t they for little kids?




















Because it didn’t happen to normal people. Yeah, I used to imagine writing winning songs, but I knew it was just a fantasy. But this twist of fate could really make things start to happen…a real audience to listen to us. Real bands. And judges. And stuff.









“I told you you’d love me,” Maddy said smugly – and I dug her in the ribs because when my best friend gets started, there is no stopping her.




















“But…what about the concert?” Gabby wanted to know. “Do we just drop that and concentrate on the competition?”





















This was something I was keen to know too. Maybe if we didn’t do the concert I’d have longer to find the ‘right words’ for an audition piece.

















“No way,” Maddy said, “we need some proper feedback. The concert is a proper way to show off the band!”










































“Thing is…we don’t even have a proper name,” Frankie said. “We always just get announced by our names and stuff.”



























“That is something we’ll have to work on,” Maddy said. “But we have plenty of time for that. The audition is in February. On Valentine’s Day – so they’ve set the theme as ‘love’,” she caught Frankie’s eye and they shared a secret smile. I squirmed a little in my seat.








Great. So not only would I have to finish the concert song, but apparently I’d have to write a slushy romance one too. On Valentine’s Day. I had never even had a boyfriend myself, so how was I supposed to write about one? By watching Maddy and Frankie? Old movies? Making up cheesy lines and clichés?





















Jason didn’t look too happy, either. I guess drumming didn’t go too well with first kisses and heartbreak and love. I gave him an understanding smile.
















“That’ll be great for my harmonies,” Gabby was saying. “All of that romance stuff. I can really work with that kind of theme.” She turned to me. “You’d be writing a slow, catchy kind of song wouldn’t you?”

























In all of your dreams.



































“Sure,” I said, “really romantic. In fact – I’ve already got an idea.”












Eve Forrest, you are such a liar.
























“Great!” Gabby said. “I know you won’t let us down!”














Then Maddy said what we were all thinking.





















“We could be FAMOUS!”

The next morning, the novelty still hadn’t worn off.





















Our mini band…the chance of recording in a studio.

























I had tossed and turned all night, imagining. They would announce all our names: Eve Forrest, Maddy Taylor, Frankie Jones, Jason Fields and Gabby Smith take to the stage as…






That’s where I kept getting stuck – because we didn’t have a proper name. As…as what? The Dream team? The alphabet kids? We couldn’t go on as E.M.F.J.G.surely?













Maybe we’d have to have a serious group meeting.



























Yawning, I dragged myself out of bed. It was early December and almost impossible to resist the soft lure of a good duvet.




























It was a chilly morning, and for some reason, my mum had decided to open a window. Shivering, I shut it with a firm bang. My room, my rules.



















Unfortunately, the night hadn’t been as kind to me as it had to my dreams. There were light shadows under my eyes from all my daydreaming, and my long, impossibly curly dark brown hair was all over my face. A hazard of not having perfectly straight hair.











I examined myself for a long moment in the mirror before pulling on my school clothes. I was sure I hadn’t been this pale yesterday. The winter air was messing with my skin, and making my big, tilted grey eyes stand out more than ever. It was the only feature I liked – my eyes. The rest of me was permanently, devastatingly ordinary. Or hideous in comparison to Maddy. I wished I could be beautiful like her, but I guessed some girls just aren’t born to be stars.




































Instead of hopelessly dreaming, I decided to sort myself out, and brushed my hair vigorously until it lay flat and presentable. Better. Well, I’d do at least.





























































I could already hear my mum shouting breakfast was ready. It was just us in the house; no siblings, no dad. You think that would be weird, but it’s okay. Mum and I get by.









I took both myself and my schoolbag downstairs, where Mum was waiting with breakfast in the kitchen. Our favourite – good old-fashioned jam and toast.















“Morning, sleepyhead,” Mum said, noticing I was distracted.

























“I didn’t sleep well last night,” I said, and refused to elaborate. I didn’t want to jinx anything by telling mum.





























But like most mums, she seemed to have a natural radar for these things. I have never once been able to lie to her, not in thirteen and a half years. She sees through everything. It’s actually pretty freaky sometimes. But I suppose you would know someone pretty well if you only had one child, no partner. I didn’t really know if it was different for Maddy and the others.































“Are you sure there’s nothing up?” Mum said – an invitation.






















I debated whether or not I should tell her in my mind. On one hand, it was so easy to fall into the pattern of girly chats and he said she said and stuff like that. But on the other, I wasn’t a baby anymore. I could handle this. I didn’t need to go blubbing to my mum every few seconds.








































I thought of yesterday’s failure, and of how I still hadn’t composed the last few lines, and shook my head. She didn’t need to know my stupid band dramas. Especially not since she was so weighed down with work these days.




































“I said, I’m just tired,” I said, and wondered when I stopped telling people how I really felt.




A while, I thought. After all, this was how I had got dragged into writing two songs at short notice.
































Why didn’t I complain? Say it was too much?





























Because I was an idiot.




























“Well, if that’s all,” Mum said, clearing away some plates.


















“Yes,” I said. “That’s all…”
*


“This is so cool,” Maddy kept saying. “This is so cool, Eve – admit it.”












































“This is cool,” I said without emotion. “This is so, so cool.”






















My best friend laughed at me, not knowing I was serious. Yeah, I was excited…but what about the songs? They were all expecting me to deliver. Failure was not an option. NOT an option. Not an option. Oh s***.


























Even though the five of us were in a music-induced bubble, normal life continued at school. We had five lessons to face: double bloody maths, English, history and P.E.. I’d still rather have faced the dodge ball than the Christmas concert, though. Anything but that.















Try as I might, however, I couldn’t concentrate on maths equations and the teacher’s drone and my algebra ‘buddy’ Fran, because my mind was just on the songs. The band. Our big chance. It would get to anyone, wouldn’t it? I mean, imagine if you just had one, just one shot at something you have always dreamed of. Pressure doesn’t even cover it – especially since my lyrics could singlehandedly determine whether we succeeded – or failed. And I’d never quite live that down.
































“Eve,” Fran said irritably. “Can you concentrate please? Only we have to give an answer in a few minutes.”

































Who cared?






























































“Right,” I said, sitting up hastily. “Um…well…is x 3?”





















And maybe dreams could come true because I actually got it right. Me. For the first time in living memory. I had been math-er-sized. Or something.















Frankie turned round from the desk in front to grin at me.





















“I thought you said solving maths equations was like trying to do a triple flip on a donkey,” he said.














































I sat back smugly.


































“I guess some people just have it…and I do,” I said, looking scathingly at his own wrong answer.


































































“You have turned into such a snob,” Frankie said.




















Well, that was hardly my fault. He should blame Fran. She converted me after all.










“Well, life’s tough,” I said. “And you’ve got an equation to solve.”













“In Mr Harper’s dreams,” he said – but he swivelled back round all the same. I was such a good influence.
















































For the rest of the lesson, I struggled on in my search for the right lyrics. But if I thought one right answer in maths would provide the inspiration I needed, I was sadly wrong. Yeah, maths was great – if you had no imagination.



























And if I was going to be a full-time songwriter, I had better get my act together. No more maths.































“Have you ever been in a lesson so dull?” Maddy said afterwards, linking arms with Frankie and me. “I thought I’d die I was so bored.”



















“Me included,” Frankie said, giving me an accusatory stare. “But Eve doesn’t seem to agree. She’s crossed over to the dark side.”










































The dark side? Since when? I was completely, one hundred percent good. I supported all the good guys in the films - and I won’t say this again, but I bloody hated maths. End of. Finished. The end.




























I swear, with all the stress I was under, I was going to end up killing my best friend’s boyfriend. I hoped that, like her designer bags, Maddy would get over her other half’s demise. Okay, now I was a bad guy. But I was pushed into it.

















To celebrate my obvious evilness, my two friends began kissing. Gross. No wonder all the antagonists were so bitter. I thought about the audition’s theme and shuddered.











Love…what did any of us know about it really?

















Nothing, I decided, nothing at all.
*


Later, Mum sat me down to have a ‘discussion’. That particular sentence starter never boded well. I thought back over the past few days, and came to the conclusion I had done nothing wrong. Unless she had found out about the audition and she didn’t want me to enter…








However, it had nothing to do with me. Or the competition. It was something far more horrible.































“You know you’ll always come first, don’t you?” Mum said as we sat at the table, me twiddling my thumbs like an idiot.




























“Yeah…so?” I said, wondering where she was going with this.











“Well…there’s no easy way to say this…I don’t want you to feel excluded…”








“Spit it out!” I said, sick of surprises by this point.




















“I’m going on a date!” Mum said – and I guess there was no end to surprises. No way to stop them, see them coming.
























Mum had never been on a date. The last relationship she’d ever had was with my Dad. My mystery Dad. I didn’t like to ask about him, because she hated talking about it. I gathered he was some kind of useless layabout, because I figured if he was dead or in prison, she would have told me.

































And now she was off on a date. I had never felt so betrayed. She always said it was just the two of us, and that was the way it was meant to be. And now, what? She wanted to date? Wasn’t I enough for her? For anyone?


























Clearly not for my Dad. I must’ve been such a disappointment to make him abandon me.







She couldn’t even tell me who he was, and now she wanted my approval so she could get a boyfriend. Well, good for her. What did it have to do with me?













I was beginning to think I was some kind of freak. First Maddy and Frankie, now Mum – so why didn’t I feel that way about anyone? Why didn’t I have a boyfriend? Fall in love?






I knew why, of course. Who on earth would want me? Boys went for sweet girls like Gabby, or gorgeous girls like Maddy. Or even my Mum. Ordinary girls…we just didn’t get a look in.









“Have fun,” I said dully.































“Eve, sweetheart,” Mum said, “you are okay about all this, aren’t you? Because I won’t go unless –”
































































“Mum, it’s fine,” I said smoothly. “I’m happy for you. Really.” I smiled the smile I had taken years to perfect: the one that said I was fine, and I always was. I was sad it was starting to fool everyone nowadays. But then again…who was I to stop my Mum having a life? If I could have a boyfriend, I would date too.





















But I didn’t have a boyfriend, obviously. Why did it even matter? It never used to. In fact, it was only recently I had begun to feel as though life – and friends – were passing me by. I was still stuck at that awkward pre-teen stage, while everyone I knew was growing up fast. I was fourteen in June – but I had never felt so young in my life.















Never felt so lost. Because clearly, I was missing something.






























It was only afterwards, in my room, that the final lines clicked in place. Lilac Girl was about everything I was feeling right now – confusion, worry, fear – and longing. I hoped it wouldn’t be that obvious once I had shown all my friends. I never expected this song writing thing to be so personal. It was just a hobby at first…but little did I know that slowly, I was beginning to put everything into those words. A whisper, an echo of how I truly felt. But hopefully, all my band mates and the audience would see was patient, happy as could be Eve, like always.





































































































I picked up my pen and studied everything I had written before I got stuck. It was okay…but was it good enough?








































My phone buzzed again in my pocket. If it was Maddy wanting to talk bands again, I’d scream.


































But it wasn’t Maddy.



































How’s the song writing going? Frankie.




















Okay, I tapped out, I think I might be onto something. See you later. Eve.












I picked up my broken, leaky black biro and started to write:
















Picture the eyes of the ocean




































And the whisper of the trees















































Look into the mouth of the angel






































And tell me





























Tell me with one kiss



























Because I’m still crazy about you




























And that won’t change.
































Even if nothing is the same…





























Lilac girl, don’t change.

Backstage, the atmosphere was heating up. I could practically feel the car crash of nerves rolling in my stomach – hear the approaching footsteps of failure. What if they all hated my song? Were too polite to tell me it sucked?






















The others didn’t seem to share my nerves. In fact, they had the cheek to look excited. Can you imagine?






























Well, it wasn’t their crappy song on display to everyone.

























Armed with hairspray, Maddy began making the final preparations on her hair. Beside her, Gabby was pulling stage faces in the mirror. I didn’t know where Jason and Frankie were – maybe getting changed. Part of me hoped they wouldn’t turn up, so we wouldn’t have to go out there. For some reason, the thought of performing in front of my friends and their parents seemed more scary than auditioning in front of a panel of strangers. It didn’t make sense to even me…but who wants to fall flat on their face in front of people you have to see every day? In hindsight, I had every right to be nervous.






















“You okay, Eve?” Maddy said, checking her hair for split ends. “Only, no offence, but you look kind of jittery.”



























Jittery? Jittery? I was way beyond that stage. Still, I could feel a fragment of pride hurt over her statement. If even Maddy noticed, then so would everyone. Great. I’d probably start hyperventilating on the stage, in front of everyone. The parents would say ‘oh, bless’ and the kids would cringe. Me, I’d die. Right on the stage floor.



















“I’m fine,” I said after a pause. “Hey, can you show me how to do that with my hair? Yours looks great.”





























“Sure,” Maddy said, successfully distracted. Her face was lit up with enthusiasm – because if there was one thing Maddy knew about, it was style.

















For the next fifteen minutes, I had my hair piled in a crown on top of my head, the edges plaited. Maddy’s hair was identical to mine – only the princess look worked better with her, even though she insisted my curls gave me an edgier look. You can never trust your friends to tell you the truth looks-wise. Or song-wise. Oh crap. What if all my songs had been bad, and no one had ever told me?

















































Without my lyrics, I was just a stupid backing vocalist. Nothing special. My words made me stand out, just a little bit. It was like stepping into another me. A girl sure of how she really felt. Right now, I was struggling.























“Gabby, over here,” Maddy said, beckoning her with a finger. “you need the hair make-over too. Otherwise we’ll look weird, two of us identical and the other not.”










“Right,” Gabby said apprehensively, having no choice but to be Maddyified.












“This will be harder,” Maddy said, studying her black bob. Gabby had recently cut her hair, but it really suited her. Made her look much older than she used to.















“If it’s too short…” Gabby said, staring at herself critically in the mirror.









“Just who do you think you’re speaking to?” Maddy said. “I have not failed yet, and I’m not about to start now.” Determinedly, she marched over to Gabby and started examining her strands of hair like an expert.


























And sure enough, Gabby looked exactly like us in the minutes to come.










“Told you,” Maddy said.




















































There came an announcement from on stage. Two sisters were taking to the stage; and we were after them. A knot of anxiety twisted in my stomach. It was hard to suppress the sick feeling, and I couldn’t even join in when Gabby and Maddy had a powder fight with the make-up.





























“Oh, cheer up,” Maddy said, sprinkling pink blusher in my direction. I ducked, shrieking – I had always been a rosy-cheeked girl, and she knew it. If I exaggerated that further, I’d look like I had sunstroke.































“You – are – an – absolute – b****!” I said, running out of the way when she chased me.








There came two knocks at the door. I could guess who they were.













Sure enough, standing there were Jason and Frankie.






















“You took your time,” Maddy said. “We’re on stage in five.”














“Yeah, I can see you guys were getting ready,” Frankie said with a sly smirk, staring at the three of us, still in the middle of a powder-blusher fight.

















































“Watch yourself,” I said. “Or else you’ll be wearing it, too.”


































“Yeah, I think I’ll take my chances,” he replied – but he stopped smirking.



















By the door, Jason was doing warm-up exercises. So I wasn’t the only one feeling a little out-of-sorts. I tried to work out why that wasn’t more or less reassuring.













Claps from on stage. My heart reacted violently – about five beats per second. You couldn’t have heart attacks at thirteen, could you? Apparently so.


















“Right guys,” Maddy said, “just remember not to panic; sing well, play your instruments to perfection, and we’ll all be fine. Right?”























“Right,” we all echoed.




























“And now,” came the voice of a teacher, “please make some noise for Eve, Maddy, Frankie, Jaaaaaaaason and Gaaaaaaaaaaaby!”


























Screams. Heart beats. Feet moving forwards. This was it.
















“Don’t panic,” Maddy repeated to herself.






















Jason pushed the door open, and we made our way to the stage. The drums were waiting for him; and Frankie had his guitar slung across his body. There were three microphone stands for us girls. We took our positions quickly; quietly. People in the audience were rustling with anticipation.




































The first of the drum beats started; lightly, along with the thrumming of the guitar. A gentle sound pierced through the assembly hall, and Maddy got ready to start singing.










“Lilac girl, don’t cry,” she said, her voice soft and sweet. “I promise it’ll be alright. Because we’ve been –”

































“We’ve been,” Gabby sang, “we’ve been the best of a fairytale…”















“You and I,” Maddy and I said together.




























The sound of the guitar got louder; more urgent. Crashes burst from the drums. My heart wasn’t thumping now; it felt like it had stopped. I tried to lose myself in the music.





















The chorus was smooth-running and fast; Maddy taking up a large proportion of the lines, and Gabby echoing, like a strange kind of bird. I occasionally got my own solo; but mostly I joined in with Maddy. It made me feel a little less on edge…more part of the song. My song. It didn’t sound quite so bad sung by Maddy and Gabby, and backed up with Jason and Frankie’s music. It was all kinds of weird hearing it come alive on stage.














We all took a deep breath as we prepared for the final paragraph – the hastily written, barely rehearsed paragraph. What if it went badly wrong? Sounded rubbish?












“Picture the eyes of the ocean, and the whisper of the trees,” we sang together, “Look into the mouth of the angel and tell me – tell me with one kiss. Because I’m still crazy about you, and that won’t change. Even if nothing is the same…”



















“Lilac girl, don’t change,” Maddy finished with a smile.



































The audience erupted in front of us – an explosion of claps and cheers and shouts for more. We all looked at each other, astonished. Yeah, we’d performed at loads of concerts before, but we’d never got such a huge response. They just used to listen, before. Clap politely. And now – they really liked us. I could feel my heart start to go again in a new way. Fast…but happy. Buzzed. I’d never felt that way after a performance before. I usually just wanted to cry I was so awful.
































So what was different about today?

























I thought about what Jason had said the other day, and re-considered my previous reaction. Maybe things that didn’t go right today could tomorrow; someday?














“That was…” but Maddy couldn’t even finish what she had been saying. For once, even my best friend was stunned into silence.


































“Guess that last rehearsal really paid off,” Frankie said, putting an arm around her shoulders.























“Yuck,” Gabby said. “Let’s not stay for their celebration.” She took my arm and led us over to the canteen, where the end-of-term Christmas party was starting. Jason followed after us.






“I’m not really hungry,” I said, looking at the rows of sticky food. “I think I’m still running on adrenaline right now!”




























“Try adrenaline and cake,” Gabby said, passing me a huge slice. Chocolate and delicious-looking, it begged to be eaten. I had it out of her hand before she’d even finished speaking to “Steady,” Jason said, watching my attempts to set a new world record via cake.










“I’ve earned it,” I said, wiping my chocolate-coated mouth. I could never seem to eat all that neatly.


































“Gross, Eve,” Gabby said teasingly – and I elbowed her. Her own plate splattered to the floor. Oops.




















































Luckily, Maddy and Frankie happened to appear at that moment. If they hadn’t, I swear she would have killed me.




































Still, as they were still all loved-up, maybe this wasn’t too much of a relief. Jason made a dodgy comment about love birds, and everyone laughed awkwardly. See? Romance messes everything up. We used to be so…neutral. And now everything was so embarrassing and confusing. And that was it. Love…kisses…romance…it was embarrassing, all of it. Once again, I shuddered at the thought of me ever being in love, writing about love. It didn’t bear thinking about. Couldn’t thirteen still be just about friends?



















“What happened to that?” Maddy said to Gabby, seeing her fallen cake.










Gabby glared at me. “Our dear friend Eve knocked it to the floor – with her elbow,” she said stiffly.






























Both Maddy and Frankie laughed, staring at me in disbelief. I guess they had never had me down as a bunny boiler before. Then again, there were several things my friends no longer knew about me.































“Nice,” Frankie said. “Really considerate.” He winked at me, green eyes laughing.











At once, I could feel a familiar pink start to stain my already bright cheeks, and I had to look away. That was weird.


























Too weird.































“Don’t feel bad, Eve,” Maddy said, putting a hand on my shoulder. “We can always get Gabby counselling.” We all laughed. I realized in relief my embarrassment had been misunderstood.








































































































I was starting to feel really strange, actually. All that performing had given me a headache, and I felt kind of flushed. Maybe I was coming down with something; just in time for the holidays. Typical. That must have been why I was so out of character earlier.










I took a quick drink of water from the jug on the side, but it was all horrible and warm, like it had come straight from the boy’s loos. I felt like spitting it right back out again, because now there was a coin-like, metallic taste in my mouth. Who knew water was bad for you?







I put a hand to my forehead, feeling a little dizzy.






















Behind me, loud music started blaring out. Maddy immediately started trying to persuade Gabby and me to dance, with me resistant. I thought I might be sick if I tried anything funny – and I couldn’t dance. But that wasn’t, of course, why I refused. Who could be that shallow?






“Aw, come on Eve,” Maddy said, trying to pull me away. “I love this song!”














“Actually, Mads, I feel a little weird,” I said, pushing her arm away. “But you and Gabby dance without me.”






























“Fine,” my best friend said huffily. Gabby pulled a face at me as she went past, because clearly, I was abandoning her when she needed me most. She probably wanted to look like the better bad dancer out of us two, I thought wryly.


















“Are you sure you’re okay?” said a voice in my ear. I jumped, startled – then saw it was just Frankie. Damn anyway.




























“Don’t do that!” I said, putting a hand on my heart. It thudded uncertainly. “You scared the life out of me.”






























“I doubt that, since you’re still alive,” he said dryly, and I just about held in my giggle, since it was at my expense after all.








































“I’ll tell Miss Jenkins you’re bullying me,” I said instead, faking a wounded look.









“That’ll be the day,” he said in that same serious voice, and I tried to work out whether or not he was being sarcastic. Once I had figured it out, I could appreciate the joke.









“Who do you think you are, a Bond villain or something?” I said, getting ready to put on a mock voice. “That’ll be the day, Bond. That’ll be the day.”
















Frankie laughed at me. “You know…you’re actually crazier than you look,” he said like he was paying me a compliment.


















































I leaned in, as though I was sharing a secret. “I lost my meds,” I said, “and if I stay here any longer, there’s no telling what I’ll do.”





























Frankie gave me a long, hard stare, and we both laughed again. Under the glow of the Christmas lights, it was impossible to tell whether he was blushing too, or if it was just the pink lights.

































In the middle of the room, my best friend was calling us over. Grinning, we joined them, and danced until the room spun with happiness.

The next morning, I lay for a long moment on my bed, staring at the ceiling. For some reason, prickles of guilt were starting in my chest. I hadn’t done anything…initiated anything…but was it possible I had accidentally started something?























Everything swirled around in my head, like dreams lost between fingers. I was getting one thing straight: I did not like Frankie Jones in that way, and I never would. He was my friend; Maddy’s boyfriend, and I had just felt strange at the party. I could have said anything last night. Or maybe someone spiked my plastic cup of fizzy juice. Yes, that had to be it.







Because I was so not that girl. Was I?

























I pressed my fingers into my temple, confused. It was only Mum’s shout from the living room that snapped me out of my reverie. Then again…did I really want to speak to her, either? Things had been weird since the ‘discussion’.





















Sighing, I made my way to the longue, ignoring my negative influx of thoughts. That could wait till later, when I’d had more of a chance to think things over.














Frankie wasn’t really flirting with me, was he? Had I imagined his blush, the wink? I didn’t like him either, did I?

























Impossible.































Yeah, he was good-looking…friendly…funny…but not in a romantic way. I didn’t know the meaning of romance. And I did not fancy my best friend’s boyfriend. No way.











“Hi, Mum,” I said with an effort, sinking onto a squashy green cushion.













Mum watched me pick at the stitching on the pillow, my eyebrows furrowed. I waited for her to see the guilt printed onto my forehead. So much had changed in one night. I had changed.



“Come on, what’s wrong?” Mum said. My head snapped up. “I know that look. Listen…are you still upset over the date?”
























That bloody word again. I felt like putting my hands over my ears, because really, Mums shouldn’t go on dates.









































“Mum, I was never upset,” I said, knowing my voice was sounding whiny.












“Right,” Mum said. “Well…if it’s not the date –” I cringed. “Then what is it, huh?”





Her voice was kind, understanding. Just like it always was. Only, I wasn’t like I always was. It was like a curtain was separating me from the rest of the world, and I was a shell. My own island. Only…I had almost let a boy invade, hadn’t I? A boy who belonged to someone else?






Like I said, romance was a bad idea. I decided, there and then, not to get into anything personal until I was at least sixteen. Make that eighteen. Twenty-five. It always spelled trouble.


























I even thought about asking Maddy’s advice. She knew about boys, and Frankie wasn’t her first – though she certainly knew all about him, too.



















I shook my head. That was just too weird. Imagine: hey, Maddy, I need some advice – I think I have a crush on your boyfriend. Right. Besides, I didn’t like Frankie. Not really. He was not my type at all.















































Ironically enough, Maddy chose that moment to send a text, asking me if I wanted to meet up at the new milkshake bar in town. I sent a quick text back, agreeing to turn up within half an hour. There was no way I was staying in the house to talk dates with dear old mother.






“I’m going out,” I told her, getting up to get ready. “To the new milkshake place in town with Maddy – you know, Strawberry Wishes?”






















































































































“Have fun,” Mum said, looking a little put out on the sofa. Well, she’d hardly be alone for long – not now she had a boyfriend.








































In my room, I picked out my New Look jeans, pink woolly jumper and white glittery boots, and grabbed a small bag. Inside it I stuffed my purse, containing my last ten pound note and a few spare coins. I was running low on cash, but too young for a job.












I yelled goodbye to Mum as I shut the blue front door with a bang. I could already see my bus coming in the distance, and had to run to get it. Luckily, it was pretty slow, and I made it just as a woman with a walking frame was clamouring on.





















But of course, a girl like me had to experience some bad luck on the way. The roads were clogged with traffic, and a man who stank of beer chose the empty seat next to mine to occupy. I shifted away slightly. Even I had standards.

























Hurry up or I’m calling Gabby as your replacement! Maddyx.















That girl. So bloody impatient. I said half an hour, didn’t I?















Maddy, calm down. Why isn’t Gabby coming, anyway?






















Apparently, I had a bit of a patience problem too, because I couldn’t be bothered to wait for my friend’s next text. Instead I played solitaire on my phone. For some reason, winning was impossible today. I felt more upset than I should over this.

















You have one new message.




































I clicked onto it, still wondering why our other band mate wasn’t invited. It wasn’t anything personal, surely? Or because Maddy was the kind of girl who didn’t do quiet friends?











I felt a little nervous myself – like I wasn’t good enough for her either. After all, what was so special about me? I was just an ordinary, curly-haired girl with no money.


















Because I have something to tell you! A strictly private, best friend thing. Stop asking questions! Maddyx.







































I bit my lip. It sounded as though she was leaving Gabby out. I thought about inviting her, then dismissed the thought. Maddy might actually have something important to tell me for once, and I could understand why she didn’t want to broadcast it to everyone. I silently hoped Frankie wouldn’t be there – because they were close enough, weren’t they? Embarrassment didn’t even cover how I felt about last night. What had I been thinking?



























My luck must’ve been in good supply today, though, because Frankie wasn’t there. No, there was just Maddy, flouncing up to me in short shorts and a droopy love heart jumper. Her legs were bare, even though it was still early December, and dotted with little pimples from the cold.

























“Hey,” I said as I reached her. “So what’s so urgent, then? Have you caught pneumonia?” I looked doubtfully at her jean-shorts once more.































Maddy pushed my shoulder. “Please, I don’t need another Mum-lecture. Just come inside!” she pulled me into the new milkshake bar – a nice little place with comfy tables and neat menus. When I saw the price of one drink, I resolved to only buy one milkshake. It sucked to have nothing in your purse, and I didn’t like having stuff paid for me. Just because.









Maddy’s light blue eyes looked strangely bright today – from excitement or urgency, I didn’t know. It was hard to read the expression in her eyes, especially since she had ringed her eyelids with black liner. On anyone else it would look a little panda-ish, but on my best friend it looked fit for the catwalk. I still didn’t understand why I girl like Maddy wore make-up, though. I didn’t, and I certainly needed it.




















“So what’s this all about, then?” I said, reading the list of milkshakes. Banana…strawberry, of course…vanilla…chocolate…peach. Peach? I stared in surprise at that last one. I guess British culture was becoming more exotic. I supposed I should give it a try, since I thought not many other people would. It deserved a chance just like the other flavours, crazy as it sounded.































Maddy paused. “I just wanted to talk about something,” she said in an ominous voice, and I tried to guess what this might be about. And came up blank.





















“About…?” I said, trying not to come across as too eager.


















“Let’s get the milkshakes first,” Maddy said, the ghost of a blush on her cheeks. She studied the menu with fierce determination. “Which one do you want, then? I think I’ll have the vanilla - maybe with chocolate sprinkles.” She looked at me expectantly.










“Er – the peach,” I said, looking at her in puzzlement. She never got embarrassed, especially not in front of me of all people. We told each other everything – seriously. If we ever fell out one day, we’d each have gold on the other. Maybe that was why our friendship had lasted so long, I thought grimly. I couldn’t think of another reason opposites like us had stayed together otherwise, to be honest.




























“Why?” Maddy said. “I thought your favourite was chocolate. No offence, Eve – but peach sounds a little weird for even you!” she laughed at the outraged expression spreading across my face.





























































“I thought I’d try something a little different,” I said stiffly.



















“I love it when you go huffy like this!” she said, still laughing. “C’mon, you like me really!”





“You wish,” I said – but I couldn’t help smiling back.







































Somehow, best friends have this annoying talent of winning you back even when you’re really pissed off. And I was pissed off. Beyond rage. Kind of.














Maddy went off to get the drinks, and would only take my coins when I forcibly shoved them into her hand. She had all the money in the world. I wasn’t clear exactly what her parents did, but they were in big business. And probably in on the whole tax avoidance thing. I could safely bet (with my last tenner) that her dad had a few million shoved in a bank account in Switzerland or somewhere.

























Or maybe Mexico.







































Maddy came back with two muffins and two different-flavour milkshakes, beaming. She had one chocolate chip muffin, and one blueberry.



















“I got your favourite,” she said, tipping the tray onto the table. She passed me the blueberry muffin and the peach milkshake. I eyed it warily. Perhaps it wasn’t such a good idea after all – I mean, you couldn’t die from a dodgy combination of substances, could you? I hoped not, because I was making it to that dreaded audition whether it killed me or not. And it probably would, knowing me. Forget the milkshake – I would probably walk into a death trap or something.































“So, is the Queen of Secrecy finally ready to spill?” I said slyly, wiping some crumbs off my bottom lip.
































“She is indeed,” Maddy said in a strange voice. Then she was suddenly serious…and somehow softer, less jokey. She had spent most of her life in a role, and now it was like she had stepped out of her layers. “Actually, Eve…it’s about Frankie.”













Frankie? I automatically recoiled away from the name before I composed myself. But, fortunately, Maddy was far too absorbed in what she was about to say to notice.










“No,” Maddy looked up from her milkshake; which she was cradling like a child. “I think…I think I might love him, Eve.”





























The last of my blueberry muffin crumbled in my fingertips. She was years ahead of me already in the romance sector, and now she was properly falling for a boy too? I couldn’t help feeling a little crushed…left behind. How did she even know what love was, at our age?

















And was four months really long enough to love someone?




















“How do you know?” I whispered.





























“Look, I know this is cheesy,” Maddy said. “But I just get this warm feeling in my heart…like everything’s okay when he’s around. And last night…when he kissed me, I just said it.” There was no doubt about the blush now; it was seeping right into her skin.






“And…did he say it back?” I said, barely daring to breathe.



























“That’s the thing…I don’t know,” Maddy said. “You know what boys are like – it takes them forever just to decide if they want to go out with you. But he said he really liked me…I don’t know if that’s the same thing?”

























“It’s the same thing,” I said, because I had never seen my best friend like this with anyone, and I was not about to let Frankie Jones of all people steal the smile on her face.











But, later, I couldn’t help feeling it was not the same thing at all.

I’d like to say the Christmas holidays kicked off with a bang, but that would be a definite lie. I had a big history project due on the first day back, and even though Maddy said it was time we 'lived a little', I decided I'd better get it done.




















But despite my new resolution, I couldn’t stop thinking about what Maddy said. About love and what it meant to different people. If my hunch was right, was I wrong to reassure my friend? Was it really up to me to tell her Frankie was in love with her? I didn’t think so.








Either Maddy’s boyfriend grew some balls or I would force him to tell her the truth. Or maybe I was being a bit hasty. They had plenty of time to properly fall for each other, after all; it was just, girls usually fell in love faster. That was what Mum always said, anyway.






Or maybe Frankie was in love with Maddy, only he was too shy to tell her. That seemed like a more reassuring thought to me, so I stuck with it. The theory worked the same as any of the others. And besides, it was kind of cute.























I tucked a few stray curls behind my ear and opened up my planner. Yes, the history project was definitely the most urgent. Even though from Year ten onwards it would be all about exams, they insisted on giving us Year nines a pile of homework. Like we didn’t have enough stress to get on with. And I had the additional pressure of writing a new song, and performing with the other guys. Because although my last attempt had gone down well with the audience, there was still a chance I might get this one badly wrong. Especially since there were five futures riding on this.































I had never properly thought of it like that, but it was true really, wasn’t it? If I didn’t get this right, I risked messing up both mine and all my friends’ lives. It was just another thing I was forced to shrink away from.
























I was such a coward.



























I shut my planner with a sigh. It was time to get down with the geeks.













Research your family tree, the history sheet said, and track all the things you find out. You never know what you might discover!





















Right.





































There was a note in the kitchen from my Mum, telling me she was at work. For the first time, I allowed myself to wonder whether she might be dating a work college. It was definitely plausible.































I had so many romantic theories today it was almost funny. Almost. Because none of them were about me. And probably never would be. I would never come running to my best friend because I’d just told a boy I loved him. I wouldn’t ever go on a date. My ‘love life’ was doomed.



























And there was another, more pressing matter on my mind. How was I supposed to find out about my past family when I barely even knew my present one? And that was just Mum’s. What about Dad’s? Scratch that, who was my Dad?

















I wiped my eyes quickly, before they could blur over. Maybe I could just make something -





A thought struck me at that moment. Jason’s Mum worked in the heritage sector…maybe she could help me out?































I wasn’t wasting any more time. Even if Mum didn’t want to tell me, I was getting to the bottom of this – today.














































Because anyone would be curious, wouldn’t they? I mean, who gave me the curls in my hair? The rosy cheeks and the dimples and the giggly laugh? Who had given me half my genes?





And who had my family once been?





















I grabbed my phone and typed out: Hey Jason. I know this is random but you know that history project? Well, I was wondering if your Mum could help me out, if you don’t mind. Eve.






























I chewed on my lip as I sent it, thinking it might sound too weird. But well, even if it did, I could trust Jason not to blab all about it, couldn’t I? He wasn’t the rumour-starting type; and he had only recently agreed to let his dad get him a phone. I know. So clearly, my cringe-worthy message was not about to go viral.




















Jason took ages to reply. I supposed he wasn’t the type of person to check his phone every ten minutes – but well, he should. What if it was an emergency next time?








Sure, she probably wouldn’t mind. If I give her your name, she could probably find out some stuff. And it would help if you texted me other family names – Aunts or Uncles, that kind of thing. Jason.






























It was probably the longest text he had ever written. I mulled over his words, and tried to think of someone other than Mum or me. Well, I did know I had once had a Grandma – Mum’s mum. She was long dead, though. That was a shame, because Mum told me she was the only relative she could stand. She didn’t tell me a lot else, though, other than the fact we were alike and I would have liked her.







































I knew her name, though – because I was named after her, sort of. I was Eve Anna Forrest, and she had been just Anna, with the same surname. I had always been proud of that – my one link to a family member other than my Mum.

















My fingers practically tingled as I wrote out: I have three names. Mine, obviously; my Mum’s: Forrest, and my Gran’s – Anna Forrest. Thanks for agreeing to help me, you’re a star. I sent the message. Only Jason would think I wasn’t desperate, which is why I was glad I hadn’t decided to do a joint project with Maddy. Plus, she probably came from a long line of successful, rich and beautiful ancestors. Only Maddy.















Jason sent me another quick text telling me his Mum was working on it. I felt a little guilty, thinking she was probably running overtime over the festive period. She probably had people all over wanting to find out about families just before Christmas.













Still, I couldn’t help pacing a little as I waited. And, meanly, I kept thinking: why couldn’t Jason’s Mum hurry up? I shook myself. I was turning into such a brat.












And although her presence had been uncalled for, apparently my best friend couldn’t contain herself. She turned up at my door without so much as a text, clutching a dairy milk bar and grinning.





















































“I thought you said homework was for dweebs?” I said doubtfully. “And don’t you know it’s rude to turn up uninvited?”



























“Hey!” Maddy pushed her way inside. “You have to be nice to guests, Eve, it’s the code.”




“Well, I wouldn’t know,” I said. “You’re the one always having Aunts and Uncles to stay.”






“Speaking of which, we have a project to get done,” she said, throwing her bag down on my sofa.




























I watched the slightly stained carpet; the dent in the coffee table; even the dodgy homemade cushions. Suddenly everything wrong with my house seemed highlighted in HD. Not that Maddy would say anything…but compared to this place, she lived in a palace. Probably Buckingham palace, knowing her.





















“You’re so lucky to live somewhere so peaceful,” Maddy said with a wistful edge to her voice. “Lucky not to have a brother, too.”




















I wasn’t so sure about that. A bit of company around here might have been nice sometimes. It seemed so unfair she got to have the material stuff – and a sibling too. I tried to remind myself I would probably feel the same if I had an irritating ten-year-old brother round the house. It couldn’t be much fun. Still, I couldn’t suppress a little flash of annoyance she had the right to complain, too. I never did. And how was I lucky to have a crappy, empty house?



Or maybe not empty for long. Not if Mum got a boyfriend for real.









“Eve?” Maddy said, waving a hand in front of my face. I watched it, my mind elsewhere. “C’mon, what’s up?”































“I think…I think my Mum’s going to go on a date,” I said hurriedly, unable to contain myself any longer. But hopefully Maddy could give me an outsider’s point of view. Maybe I was overreacting.































Maddy’s eyes went wide. “Eve! Are you serious? How long have you known?”













“Not that long,” I said defensively. “Anyway, it’s not the kind of thing you broadcast – hey, it’s not funny!” I chucked a cushion in her face, sparking a furious pillow fight. By the end, we were both thoroughly whacked-out.





















“That was productive,” I said, and we both sniggered. “I knew doing homework with you was a bad idea. I actually planned to do something before you showed up. Well actually, I am doing something.” I sat back like the King of the Jungle. Little did Maddy know I had sources too. Little old me.
























“What are you on about?” she said, and I couldn’t help giggling. “Eve, what the hell –”





“I got Jason’s Mum to do it for me, if you must know,” I said defiantly. “Got a problem with that?”




































































Maddy moved slightly away from me. “O.K., crazy,” she said. “What are you on about now?”































“Several things and more,” I said mysteriously – and refused to give in even when she threatened torture via tickling. Maddy was all talk, anyway.

















Or apparently not. I shrieked and thrashed at her arms, hysterical. She knew my great weakness – armpits. The b****.

























Beep, beep.


































I took my phone out – and stared at the message. I hadn’t felt the no way no way no way kind of feeling since the day I found out about the competition.















“What? What is it?” Maddy said, craning her neck to get a good look at the text.














But it was too ridiculous to share. Way too ridiculous. Only, being her, she took matters into her own hands – and grabbed it off me before I could stop her; though I certainly tried.








“My gosh, Eve,” she said. “There’s so much you haven’t told me!”











“I didn’t know,” I said in a shell-shocked voice.

















“Imagine having a famous Grandmother and not even knowing,” Maddy said, equally astonished.



































Because, as it turned out, Anna Forrest had been a singer. A singer. And Mum had never even told me. It’s not like she was world famous or anything, but according to Jason, she was pretty successful at once point.























So maybe I had music in my blood?






















“Your family are pretty cool,” Maddy said, and for once, I believed her.













And when she had gone, I looked for the old photo album. In the first few pages was a young woman with dark, curly hair. She had a hopeful smile – a dimpled smile – and laughter lines.






Looking at her, I thought I might cry.























Because maybe I wasn’t a stranger after all.

The following day, I started to write the next song. The audition song. It was like a new power – a new part of me – had just come to the surface. Like I’d been missing something but only just figured it out.
























Who knew how important heritage was when you never even thought you’d have any?






I decided Jason’s mum had a point. Up until then I had thought of that type of job as resourceful, but more of a hobby. Not serious work.




















I saw that I was wrong now.














































I paused and dug my nail into the pen nib. I had the outline pretty much written out, but I wasn’t sure quite how to express it in song form.


































I knew what I wanted to say, though. And that felt important.















Eventually, I just gave in to instinct and scribbled out the nonsense on my mind. I hoped it would measure up once I’d finished, but it was hard to put feelings into words. Harder than usual. It used to come so easily.





















When I was done, I put down my pen, pausing to read over everything. It was definitely amateurish…but we had little time left, so we’d have to go with this one. All my other attempts had entered in total disaster.





































I deliberated over my words for a little while…and then I called Maddy. It was time for band practice, garage-style.
*
































“That was quick,” Gabby said in apparent admiration when she had arrived. “How long did you take…like five days or something?”


























“Something like that,” I said, praying they weren’t expecting genius, Ed Sheeran-type lines. Because if they were, they were going to have a long wait.


















A very, very long wait.













































I spread my messy pieces of paper over the tool table, and we started to arrange it like a jigsaw puzzle. The end result wasn’t quite as bad as I had imagined. Still, I felt like I was being constantly judged on my ability to write, and if I was bad, I would no longer have a place in the group. Because who was I, anyway? Just some reject singer, and not even pretty.




“This is great,” Frankie said, catching my eye.























I couldn’t help smiling at him. “It’s terrible, actually,” I said, “but it’s nice of you to say so.”



Maddy shook her head at me. “Stop being so modest, Eve!” she said in a frustrated voice. “We love this song – and guess what, the judges will love it to!”


















I wished. Still, I smiled at her too. I had kinder friends than I’d thought.











“Does it have a name?” Frankie said. “No – let me guess. Something to do with ‘floating’?”









OK, so I had put that word in an awful lot. But if they wanted romance – then hell, they were getting romance.






























Even so, it was annoying to admit Maddy’s boyfriend was right. The song title was actually, cheesily enough, ‘Floating Angels’. It was about lost love and passion and trusting your heart. Like I said, cheesy. But where else could I get my inspiration from? I was a teenage girl who had never been in love. And never would be.




















Frankie reacted as I’d thought when I told him the name. I thought punching his pleased face in would definitely count as psychotic, so I stayed quiet.























“Why have you given me so many lines?” Maddy said in evident despair, staring at the places where I had written her name, mine and Gabby’s to indicate who was supposed to sing which part. And yes, she did have the most lines. That was just how it worked out.





























“Because you’re the lead singer,” I said, “so suck it up.”
















Maddy pulled a face at me.

























But, of course, that wasn’t the only reason my best friend had the most words to sing. Not only did she have the right kind of voice – all sugary and sweet – but she could actually feel the lines, because she was now in love. Well, so she thought. I secretly hoped she wasn’t really, and it was just the kind of thing you said in the heat of the moment. Frankie and Maddy were still going strong, though, so I assumed he had told her he loved her, too. Maybe.



































If so, then why couldn’t he leave me alone? Throughout band practice, he teased me on my song lyrics, and acted like I wanted to be the next big thing. I told him to shut up or else I’d change the song name to just ‘Angels’ because he would be dead. Too far? Too far.







Let’s just say it wasn’t a good idea to unleash my hot-headed side. That is, if you wanted to see Christmas.































But something else was bothering me. It was weird how much he got under my skin. I didn’t feel so irritated when Jason did that kind of thing – not that he did, much. But he did make a few comments about the history homework; comments I’d have to hush up quick before anyone found out.






























I decided Frankie was just one of those people who knew how to push buttons. And then some.































After a few cans of Fanta and salt and vinegar crisps, we started to practise properly. Like turning on a light: we had switched to serious mode. Because I knew that despite the teasing and the laughter and the food fights, we all wanted this as badly as each other. It was the one thing that linked us all together.






















































Jason did his drumming thing throughout the first recording of the song, just as I’d planned. And Frankie cranked up the speed of his strings on the guitar as the song kicked up the tempo; the result was crashing music and soft, drifting voices singing about love. The sound was close to how I had pictured it in my head. Dramatic music, but quiet, gentle singing. I knew I could trust my friends to turn something crap into a piece fit for an audition. And not just any audition, I reminded myself. One that could change our lives. And maybe then Mum wouldn’t have to work so hard and I would actually be happy…















But could fame change what was wrong with my life?


















Well, maybe. Because if we were famous, then Dad would know who I was – and then I’d be, at last, good enough for him.
























“How should I say this line, Eve?” Gabby said, showing me a repeated part – which is where her harmonising came in.





























“Say it like Maddy did, only sweeter,” I said, studying the offending line. “Kind of echo-ey. D’you know what I mean?”



























“Yeah, I think so,” Gabby said, then took a deep breath. “OK, how about this: Floating our own way.”






























“We’re floating angels for today,” Maddy added, sealing the end of the song.










“Yeah, that’s exactly right,” I said. “Just sound a little more drifting…imagine you’re in an empty warehouse, and the walls are carrying your tune…”















“OK, from the top,” Maddy said, glancing at Gabby. “You join in too, Eve – you and me start the first few lines of the last paragraph.”





















“OK,” I said a little hesitantly. “From the top…”




























“We’re floating,” Maddy and I said together.


































“Floating,” Gabby said softly.

































“Floating like angels,” we said.






























“Floating our own way,” Gabby said, letting her words be carried upwards.















“We’re floating angels for today,” Maddy said in a chilling, wavering voice.









“Perfect!” I said. “Well done guys!”






















“And you,” Maddy said, nudging me.























And it seemed like we really had nailed the song. But it was still in its early stages…like any decent piece of work, it needed several drafts before it was just right.















“Sounding great, girls,” Frankie said with a trademark grin. I could feel myself automatically grinning back. He had such an easy smile.





















“Do you really think so?” Maddy said, linking his arm. “Thanks…”




















Then they started kissing again. Jason completely ignored their presence, carrying on with his drums. Gabby and I found it harder to practise with our lead singer ‘occupied’, though. How are you supposed to sing a song without one of the singers? The clue was in the name.










Still, I couldn’t help watching them curiously, wondering what it would be like if I ever kissed a boy. Like, would it feel all wet and slimy – and would he have to bend down? Would it really feel like floating – soft and sweet and dreamy? Like nothing else mattered except for the feel of his lips of mine? Kissing…it was a weird concept; because really, it was pretty unhygienic, wasn’t it? And what if one of you had garlic bread for breakfast? Exactly – it was disgusting. Probably.






























There was no point asking Maddy any of this, though. She would just laugh at me and tell me to actually get on with some kissing myself, and then I’d find out. But it wasn’t that easy…unless you were gorgeous and outgoing and flirty and in control. I was shy and average and kind of crazy if you thought about it. I knew from experience boys wanted trophy girls…not girls with strange personalities and even stranger hair. I had no hope – and I wasn’t straightening my curls for any boy. Especially not now I knew exactly where that particular gene trait had come from. And I knew then I wanted to be just like Anna Forrest. Independent…talented…and free. Not tied to any boyfriend, however handsome. It was funny, but I almost felt sorry for people in love. Imagine all the worry and the deliberation and the questions. Like, does he love me, too? Does he even like me? Am I a good kisser? And are we forever?






























It would drive anyone round the bend. I thought back to that moment in the milkshake bar – of my usually confident friend, all quiet and embarrassed…and in love. It seemed to me like it took everything away from you, and left you all exposed. But Maddy had never given herself to any boy before Frankie. She just usually kept them dangling, guessing…those were the games she liked to play. In her eyes, if they were stupid enough to go along with it, then shame on them. I chuckled to myself at this, then remembered Frankie. She certainly wasn’t keeping him dangling. And he, in turn, was stealing my best friend. Turning her into someone I didn’t quite recognize. It was hard fight the feelings of resentment. I knew it was wrong to think Maddy would be better off without Frankie, because they seemed made for each other and she was happy. Wasn’t she?







































“Hey, Eve,” Jason said. “How’s this?” he thumped out a low bass sound out of his guitar, backing up Gabby’s harmonies.


























“Great,” I said. “It sounds great.” I worked to make my voice a little more upbeat, because people usually noticed when I was in a less than good mood. They were so used to seeing dependent, happy-go-lucky Eve that it didn’t cross their minds I was actually not happy at all.






“Yeah right,” Jason said. “You think it’s rubbish, don’t you? You sound it.”











“No!” I said quickly, before I could hurt his feelings. “Of course not – I meant it! I’m just a little stressed out, if you must know. It’s got nothing to do with you or your drums.”








“No, it never has,” Jason said a little sadly, and went back to banging his sticks.










I thought about what he said for a long time afterwards. His disappointment seemed a little out of place. OK, so I’d hardly been Miss Enthusiastic 2013, but why did he care so much about what I thought?



















































Then Frankie caught my eye again and asked if I was trying out for a part in Les Misérables, and I forgot all about Jason and smiled.

Christmas was creeping closer and closer, and I still hadn’t sorted out any of my presents. I was on a tight budget, and I had a lot of people to buy things for. Mum…Maddy…Frankie…Gabby…Jason. OK, so that was only five, but I hardly had any allowance to spend. And like I said, it’s not a nice feeling to have nothing in your purse.







I already knew Maddy was going to go over the top. She had the world’s bank to spend, and she wasn’t a girl to hold back. For a second, I wondered if it was weird to buy a present for someone else’s boyfriend, then dismissed the thought. I could hardly leave him out of the present giving – and we were a team, a group, the five of us. And, I kept reminding myself, we had all been friends before the hormone crisis.

































I scooped my thick hair into a bun on top of my head, and pulled on a festive green jumper with red cherries and a dark pair of trousers from my endless array of different-colour jeans.






It was a Saturday, and today light snow littered the streets outside. I dared hope, like a little kid, that this would be the year of a white Christmas.
















Yeah right. It seemed like wishes only came true if you were one of the lucky ones. And I wasn’t. Obviously. Besides, this was Britain, and the weather rarely panned out as you’d hoped. No wonder so many people escaped to Spain and goodness knows where else.






Everything seemed to suck around here. And Christmas with just Mum and me…it never felt the same. It was just like another birthday, passing me by. And I knew that in all the other houses, big families celebrated together until the sun went down.















For a second, I had the fleeting thought of next year’s Christmas being with Mum…and some burly, meathead boyfriend of hers. It was a repulsive thought. Better to be alone than with a substitute Dad.

























She still hadn’t gone on the date, and I was getting edgy. Suppose he hurt her, let her down? Just like every other man in her life. But suppose…suppose he didn’t? Suppose she fell in love like Maddy, and there was no going back?



















I pushed my bedroom door open, and made my way to the kitchen. I was being stupid. Mum was not about to replace me or my Dad with some strange man.













“I made pancakes,” Mum said, handing me a plate. “With jam and lemon and butter!”




“Thanks,” I said, a little suspiciously. I looked at the golden circles filled with mouth-watering flavours, and started to eat.



























Mum watched me a little anxiously. “You know the date…” she started to say, but I interrupted her.



























“Please, Mum, not again,” I practically begged. “Just leave it, alright? I said I was OK with it, “The thing is sweetheart…it’s on Monday.”




















My heart froze, just about. Whatever I told her, I was so not ready for this. And things were moving a little fast, weren’t they? Or maybe just to fast for me. She, like everyone else in my life, was far ahead. Me, I was left behind again.




















It was a cycle.






























“Whatever,” I said coldly, and stood up, leaving the last pancake on my plate. “I’m going out to get some presents. I want to get there early, before everyone starts rushing around.”








“But – ” Mum started to say.
























“Look, I’m really behind on presents,” I said as gently as I could. “Sorry.” The kitchen door swung behind me.
























Saturday was usually our day. Just to watch a stupid film or paint each other’s nails or try out the latest hairstyle in Mum’s magazines. But today I was going out. And on Monday she was off on a date. That was what happened as time passed. People changed, grew up. If you couldn’t handle that, then tough. The world was a merciless place, and I was only just starting to work that out.




























Beep, beep.










































I gave an unattractive groan and scanned my phone. And looked at it twice. It was Frankie – and he couldn’t be serious.



























Maddy told me you’re going Xmas shopping today, it read, and I was wondering if I could tag along…you could help me pick her present! I know I’m taking the mick here, but please. What do girls like, anyway? Frankie *puppy dog eyes*.















The idiotic blackmailing little – I stopped there. He was desperate, and Maddy was my best friend. I sent him a hasty reply: Alright, but just for Maddy’s sake. You better be ready by ten. Eve.

































That put a spin on my plans. If I had hoped for a quick shop, I was sadly mistaken. I suppose I should’ve known, with my luck. All I ever seemed to do these days was grant favours to other people – I knew it sounded selfish, but what about my feelings, too? The trouble was, I was usually in the role of the Agony Aunt, and once people have decided who you are, it is very hard to shake off that persona.






















I dragged my rucksack off my shelf – the medium-sized, reindeer one, and made my way out the door. I forgot to call goodbye to Mum, but I was sure she wouldn’t mind. Apparently, dating was her priority now, anyway.






















Frankie was late. I stood outside the shopping centre waiting for about -









“Ten minutes,” he said, holding up his hands. “Only ten minutes. How was I to know you’re so obsessive about the time? Most girls I know turn up late, like they deliberately did it or something.”






































I tried to hold in my snort – and failed. Oh well. Who cared about the girl code, anyway? Not me.

























































































“Ah, knew I’d get you smiling,” Frankie said, and didn’t seem at all bothered when I glared at him.

























































































“Let’s just get this over with, shall we?” I said, gritting my teeth.












“Hey, it’s not a prison sentence,” he said, a stubborn smile still in place. “Like the rucksack, by the way. Very…Christmassy.”





















I tried to suppress my grin. “Just shut up and start walking,” I said.














“Wow, you really hate me for this, don’t you?” Frankie said – but he started trying to keep up with my brisk pace all the same. “A sprinter, eh? Did you know the school run an Athletics Club if you’re interested? Trouble is, I think they only accept people over five feet tall…”







He kept up this string of cheesy lines and putdowns all the way round the shopping centre. I tuned him out the best I could, whistling and walking in and out of shops. I did notice people were giving us odd looks, though – particularly the security outside New Look and Top Shop, and decided I wouldn’t be back here till next Christmas.















I really, really hoped this shopping trip was worth it. And if my best friend didn’t like her present, then I would kill her, quite simply. Kill her. Though I had a sneaky way of finding out whether she really liked it or not…since it would be supposedly from Frankie, and she ‘loved’ him, she would say she adored it either way, wouldn’t she? But, in private, if she told her best friend what she really thought of her boyfriend’s present, then…I smiled crazily to myself.































I couldn’t lose.






























“Are you sure about this one?” Frankie said sceptically, looking at the pale pink jeans I was showing him. “I mean, I know you’re big on the whole jeans thing – and there’s nothing wrong with that, obviously – but Maddy never usually wears anything that –”









“Long?” I suggested, because it was true. “Yeah, I think you’re right. She probably has this really rare disease which means her legs must be on display, like, all the time. It’s quite serious, I hear.”

































Frankie grinned at me; a cute, warm grin. “I told you you’re crazy,” he said. “You know, I used to have this embarrassing crush on you in Primary School, remember?”









And I did. Back in Year Six, I spent the whole year getting paper planes chucked at the back of my neck, while Maddy teased me and said I was one cruel girl for not going out with him. And now they were dating. That was kind of weird, actually. How he ended up with the best friend. Well, I thought brightly, some people like to keep it close to home. That particular part of history was something I didn’t like to remember, though. I didn’t think Maddy did either. Not one of us had mentioned it till today. It was just a childish crush, like Frankie said. And, like Maddy said, I was never interested.



























“But you were always too cool for me,” he said, still grinning.















Me? Cool? Yeah right. I was a geek, through and through – and I knew it. Only, the kind without the perfect grades and the teacher’s pet award. I was just an ordinary, nothing-special girl. And to cap it all, I was ‘crazy’ apparently. Boring and crazy. The juxtaposition sounded odd in my own head.

































“I was never cool,” I told him. “That was Maddy.”





















































“Yeah, Maddy was cool,” he said. “But I never really noticed her until she cornered me and asked me out, seriously!”























I paused, trying to shift through the thoughts in my head. A boy had not noticed Maddy with me around? That wasn’t possible. Especially not a cool boy like Frankie. Back in Primary School, I still thought there was a possibility good-looking boys could fall in love with me, but now I was older, I understood how it worked. And I saw how, over the months, Maddy got all the boys I had ever liked.


























“You’re kind,” I said, grinning too. “But I think we both know that’s a lie! I was Maddy’s mental, curly-haired friend. Everyone liked her, and I didn’t mind.”

















“That’s not true,” Frankie said. “And I like your hair! It’s…interesting. Springy.” He smiled at me, almost apologetically, like he knew he shouldn’t say stuff like that when he was dating my friend.


























And he shouldn’t. I seriously considered getting him to buy something she would really hate, then. But I decided it wouldn’t really be fair on Maddy.




















“You should get the jeans,” I said instead, ignoring how close his shoulder was to mine. “She likes pink. And I think she can cope with one pair of trousers.” I stood back to admire the present, and waited for his verdict.
























“Yeah…I suppose,” he said, looking a little distant himself. “Should we just pay, then?”






“Yeah,” I said. “C’mon.” I took a pair of jeans I could never fit, and would never fit. Just like I would never fit in in the real world. Had never fit into Maddy’s world of popular boys and admirers and a never-ending supply of friends, all cooler than me, and all with shinier hair.






Because I didn’t know who I was, then, and I was surprised he did. Or maybe Frankie just had me all wrong, like everyone else.



















We walked out of the shop a little awkwardly, a little apart, and I was relieved to see my bus, rolling towards me in the distance.
























“Look, I better go,” I said. “You know how long it takes for another W3 to get here at this time of year. See ya!” I started to walk away, but he caught my arm before I ran off.







“Wait,” he said, digging in his rucksack for something. “I got you something to say thanks.”





He placed something into my hand and walked away from me, whistling my favourite tune as he kicked the snow apart.
























I stared at the object in my hand and couldn’t stop the secret, wide grin spreading across my face. I thought of the days of teasing and classroom laughter, of an idiot, a boy with blonde-brown hair and green eyes, a boy with a crush.






















I pocketed the crumpled paper aeroplane and walked onto my bus, whistling a Christmas tune.

Eight
That night, I didn’t sleep.






















































































In fact, over the next two nights, I didn’t sleep.






















It was always confusing having a best friend with a boyfriend. It complicated things. It wasn’t that I liked Frankie. And he didn’t like me. That was the way it had to stay.








Even if he’d had a bit of a thing for me before, he’d chosen Maddy, like everyone did. I’d watched people do that for years. In the old days, they picked her for a playground partner and for the best sports team in P.E., and for the prettiest girl in the class nomination. Nowadays, it was for a best friend and a girlfriend and a lead singer. It wasn’t like I was a total loser. I did okay, just like everyone else. But Maddy did better.














When I walked into my Mum’s bedroom to find the hairclip I’d left in there, I found her dressed in a fluffy pink jumper and blue jeans not made for cosy, working parents. Her hair was loose and lovely; a smart, sharp bob that framed her face. And suddenly she looked different. Like she was someone else other than my Mum. Maybe it was the heels. They made her look much taller than she was. Or the lipstick.
















Mum fixed a pearl earring into her left ear. “Hi, sweetheart,” she said. “What are you doing up so early?”




































“I’m going to Maddy’s house,” I said. “She has a date, too. With Frankie. She wants my advice.”


















































“It’s funny,” Mum said, smiling, “but I still remember when all of you were little kids – making a mess of our old flat.”


























Uh-oh. An old person rant about what used to be. Or maybe she’d get all teary and beg me not to grow up. Right.



























Still, I kind of saw what she meant. I missed being that tearaway girl who only had to worry about the next Barbie doll and friends and paint projects. I missed having friends with no complications. No romance. And no guilt.
























“Well, things have changed now,” I managed to say, letting my eyes slide away from hers.




“Eve?” Mum said kindly. “Is there anything you want to talk about?”











I looked at her familiar, quiet eyes. But there was something else there too – excitement. She was elsewhere, in an imaginary world of dark, handsome strangers and moonlit dinners and kisses until the sky faded into blue. She was someone else’s, for today.














“Not really,” I said, shrugging. “So when are you leaving the house, then?”











“Not till half past two,” Mum said, blushing a little. “But you know how long it takes a girl to get ready.” She looked a little unsteady herself…hesitant. Like a little bird released into the wild for the first time. And I knew that no matter what she did and who she saw, she was still the person she always was. Still my Mum.




















“Well, you look great,” I said, fixing a smile onto my face. “Knockout gorgeous. So who’s the lucky guy, then?”




























“Gareth – Gary, from work,” Mum told me. Aha – so I had been right.
















“How did he ask you out?” I said, tiptoeing a little so I could see into her high mirror. My eyes were sleepy and a mysterious grey. A colour I had inherited from a Dad who didn’t want me.














































































“Eve!” Mum said. “Daughters shouldn’t ask their parents things like that!” her eyes suddenly sparkled. “There’s no one you like, is there?”
























“No way,” I said. “Boyfriends are for girls who need a man to be happy.”










Mum burst out laughing. “Don’t be silly!” she said. “It’s just nice not to be on my own all the time.”









































“You’re not on your own!” I said, stung. “You’ve got me!”





















Mum hugged me, holding on even when I tried to wriggle away. “I know that,” she said, “and I’m very lucky. It’s just…I get lonely sometimes. Do you understand?”










I nodded into her jumper, because I did understand, just a little bit. I was always alone.
*


“Red, or purple?”































My best friend held up two pairs of glittery kitten shoes, each a different colour. I considered the question. For me personally, red was the winning choice. But Maddy was more your girly kind of girl, so what she was really asking me was something she knew herself. It was like when people asked for advice – they knew the answer really, they just hoped there was a magic solution; a better solution, and people who could tell them what to do. But all that was a little psychological to say to her, so I told her purple.


















“Great!” she said. “I’m so glad you’re here!” she spread her outfit over the bed; a sparkly gypsy skirt and a loose top. She was going to look beautiful. Just like Mum.









“Why’s this date so important, then?” I said curiously. “You’ve been on plenty with Frankie.”





































“It’s an anniversary date, Eve!” she said, rolling her eyes like I was missing something very important. And maybe I was. “Today, officially, we have been going out for five months!”






Oh, whoop-tee-doo. I didn’t say this aloud, though. It’s hard to beat down that kind of enthusiasm. And kind of mean. Talk about counting down the days, though.












“That’s…good to hear,” I said with an effort. But something else had been niggling at the back of my mind – so I just blurted it out. “So, has he said it yet, then?”














Maddy was suddenly very busy clearing away all the clothes in her drawer. “What?” she said in an absent-minded, couldn’t-care-less manner.
















“Has he told you –”


























There came a knock at the door. Maddy’s Mum stood there in her designer clothes, smiling at us.
































“Sorry, girls,” she said. “I just brought up a snack…”


















She had a tray filled with homemade cookies and drinks with fizzy juice. She was the original immaculately made-up, smiley housewife. Despite all her money, her big house, I did not envy her. Not one bit. By the time I was her age, I planned to have changed my life. Gone would be the days of no money, of loneliness and never fitting in. I would be wealthy, successful, and happy. It was the only thing in my life I could cling to, because everything else was so temporary.




























“Thanks, Mrs Taylor,” I said, taking the tray. Maddy shot me an agonized look once she had gone.






























“I swear she’s ruined my life,” she said in this bored, exasperated voice. “I’m so bloody sick of her, Eve. I mean, I was fourteen last month and she still acts like I’m nine, like it’s still cool for your Mum to walk in like that.” She cast her eyes upwards. “Your Mum’s so much better,” she said. “You two are really close…but she just leaves you to it as well.”












This could not be happening. Was Maddy – glamorous, stunning, bright Maddy – actually jealous of my lifestyle? No way. Beneath my shock, I felt a little sad for Mrs Taylor. She just tried her best to make her daughter happy…and she wasn’t succeeding. If your life revolved around your husband and children, you’d at least like to get it right, wouldn’t you? Want to have a good relationship with them? I thought so.





















“What are you talking about?” I said. “Your life’s perfect, you know that. It always has been.”



























“Yeah…perfect,” Maddy said sadly.






















“C’mon,” I said, putting an arm round her. “You’ve got a date later, remember? Just like my Mum!” we both laughed.



























Between giggling, we snaffled popcorn and watched The Notebook for the fiftieth time. Maddy had a thing for Ryan Gosling, and me? I was just a big dreamer.









“It’s so sad,” she sobbed halfway through, and I nudged her.














“You’re what’s sad!” I said. “It’s just a film!”
















“Hey!” Maddy chucked the last of the popcorn in my face, while I screamed and ducked. Popcorn stuck fast to curly hair. Every frizzy girl knew that.















Predictably, a trail of salty seeds were glued to the ends of my hair. Great. To make my date-less day even better, I would now have to wash my hair three hundred times. And then some.




Well, at least it would take my mind off Mum and Maddy. And Frankie, come to think of it. That boy was messing with my head big time. And in a five-month relationship. I wasn’t going to ruin that, not for all the childish memories in the world. Yeah, the paper plane was cute, but it was in the past, wasn’t it? Wasn’t it?


















It was. Definitely. Completely. Totally. Whatever.


























“I’m so nervous!” Maddy said. “What if something goes wrong?”












“Like what?” I said sceptically – why was today so significant?













































































































“Like…he might dump me,” Maddy said, twisting her fingers together as she spoke.
















“As if!” I said. “More like the other way round! He’s lucky to have you; he knows that.”








Traitor, a voice hissed in my ear. Liar. Bad friend. Tell her the truth.













But Frankie and Maddy are made for each other, I tried to tell myself. The voice dissolved away.































“Yeah, I suppose,” Maddy said, tossing her long, perfect hair and smiling to herself about her flirty, perfect boyfriend.



























But I knew he was far from perfect. And I knew I wasn’t going to fall for any of it. No way. Boys - and love – could take a backseat. The band, the audition – that would be my priority now. It was such a shame Frankie was in the band. That made it that much harder to ignore him. But I’d be damned if I wasn’t going to try. Who was I, anyway? Some girl who lusted after taken guys? That wasn’t me. It never had been. Growing up with just Mum and me, I learnt loyalty was important. Always. And girlfriends came before boyfriends. Always.









“You’ll be fine,” I said. “You’ve got nothing to worry about, Mads, seriously.”










Maddy slicked on pink lip gloss. “I know. Thanks, Eve.” She passed me one of her red lipsticks. “Here, try this on! I picked it out especially for you.”














I took the stick of make-up, painted my lips. I stared at the girl in the mirror, the teenager with the glossy smile and the cool best friend and the impossible crush. I didn’t like what I saw.
































“I knew you’d suit it,” Maddy was saying. “Red goes well with dark hair. Just like a movie star!”


































“Yeah right,” I said, but somehow, her bubbly confidence was infectious, and I got to think that maybe I wasn’t so bad after all.






















All those years…I’d wondered if it was better, cooler, prettier people who’d made me feel so lost, so dull. But now I thought it might have been me after all.













Because maybe I was poison. Bad for people. The kind of girl who looked twice at her best friend’s boyfriend and liked what she saw. The girl so sick with jealousy her Mum wanted someone else for company she would do anything to make life miserable for her. I was a girl in the shadows; a danger, a loser, a freak. A girl who watched everyone else enjoy life and wished she could be a part of it.





























Then Maddy started styling my wild, popcorn hair, and I forgot all about the girl in the dark and stepped into the role. Stepped into a different me.














Because she was a girl I could handle.

When school started again three things were different. One: My mother had a boyfriend. Two: We would now have to pick four subjects to take alongside English, Maths and Science. Three: I was now avoiding Frankie. That last one was hard, as he and Maddy were always together now. Inseparable.




























I slung my rucksack back on my shoulder as I made my way to the crowded reception desk, where lines of year nine students were waiting to choose their subjects. Most people had a friend with them to help choose with, but I had come alone. Maddy did it without telling me in the morning, with Frankie, and Jason and Gabby sorted it out ages ago. I was in the last-chance group, with the kids who couldn’t care less. A few stared at me in surprise, thinking I was organized enough to have done this already, but most ignored me.











“Yes,” the reception lady said in a bored voice once it was my turn. Someone jostled me from behind as she spoke, so I decided to hurry up.


















“Um, I’d like to do Religious Studies, History…um, Music and Spanish, please,” I said. The boy behind me sniggered.


























“OK, dear,” the secretary said a little more sympathetically. “Name and form, please.”






“Eve Forrest, 9H,” I said, and she gave me a little slip and sent me on my way. Short and sweet, I supposed.



























I seriously hoped my friends had made similar choices. I knew we’d all picked Music, so that was okay. And Gabby would probably pick History and Spanish, since she was super-smart and could speak German and French as well as English. I didn’t know about Jason or Frankie. Maddy was the hardest to think of, though. I knew she’d do Music, of course…but what else? Drama, maybe. Not Spanish or History. Possibly RS. I was forced to consider I didn’t know my best friend as well as I’d thought, and this notion disturbed me. I had known Maddy since I was three, and she was the only person I had been able to tell everything. Until now. It seemed growing up messed up a lot more than hormones. Friendships became more distant, too. Maddy would probably hang out with the popular, pretty girls next year. And me? Who knew. Everything was changing…but at least we still had the band. Thinking about the audition, I felt happiness instead of fear.























“Hi,” Gabby said – we were in the same Science class. “Where have you been? I haven’t seen you all day.”
































“I was picking my subjects,” I said morosely. “And I left it too late. All the druggie kids were there.”































“I can imagine,” Gabby said, her brown eyes wide. “That must’ve been awful. Why didn’t you go with Maddy?”
























“I dunno,” I said, shrugging my shoulders the way I wished I could shrug off the question. “I think she was helping Frankie pick his, in the morning. Whatever. I get more things done by myself.”



































































































“Me too,” Gabby said as we filed in. “Other people can be so distracting.”











And I kind of got what she meant, for once. Usually that sort of stuff didn’t wash with me. But now I thought about it…other people had been so distracting, actually. All this business about Mum, about love; Frankie and Maddy and how my best friend was going places without me. So yeah, other people were distracting.



















I found myself daydreaming instead of learning about the reactivity table. I knew I should probably listen, because I hadn’t got into the top Science class by being a natural genius, but I was too tired. Too sick of my life. Thinking about it, it should have been a welcome distraction; all that logical stuff. But today I couldn’t separate my own feelings of despair from the reality, so how could Science make sense? How did all these people figure all this out? Why wasn’t there a scientific explanation for everything – for my life?










Science said I had a Dad, but I knew the truth. Science also said I had a brain, and that was a lie, too. If I was a little bit smarter, I wouldn’t let my heart rule my life, and I would be happier. Maybe a little more emotionally stunted…but really, the penalty was worth it.






I didn’t want to fall in love. I wanted to have a good life.




































“Hey, do you know the answer to question five?”

















“Huh?” I said, glassy-eyed. I slowly brought myself back to the present – and Gabby was waving a sheet under my nose, looking a little confused. I was right with her. What was I doing?






























“Never mind, I’ve just figured it out,” she said, scribbling in a quick, detailed answer.







Lucky her. Gabby was smart, happy. Comfortable being her. She was a geek, yeah, and not the most popular kid around, but she didn’t care. I realized she was nicer than Maddy, too – Maddy; my popular, beautiful best friend. I didn’t really prefer Gabby to her these days, did I?



























Maddy and I had always had fun together. She was cool and impulsive and dramatic and funny. But she could also be very self-absorbed, and she could leave people behind, without even realizing it. But it wasn’t really her fault. She hadn’t changed – she’d always been this way. It was me discovering new things, deciding I didn’t like the way things were. It was me who was starting to feel like a spare part. Like I was only Maddy’s best friend when it suited her.



































And maybe that was why I was confused about Frankie. Because, lately, he had seemed more of a friend to me. It wasn’t really that I liked him. He was just there, in the place of Maddy. Yes, that had to be it. Because I so wasn’t ready for some stupid crush. And I wasn’t prepared to give my best friend up to her boyfriend. Maybe I should just make more of an effort – I mean, I had a phone, right? It didn’t always have to be up to her. Thinking back, it was always Maddy who arranged everything. So maybe I was the pathetic friend.











“Wanna get lunch with me and Jase?” Gabby said after Science.



















I considered the question. I didn’t want to go chasing after Maddy and her boyfriend, even if I did want to spend more time with her. And why shouldn’t I go with them? They were my friends too, even if, when it came to hanging out in school, it was usually Maddy, Frankie and me. Sometimes Jason and Gabby came with us, but they preferred the library to the noisy canteen.





























Well, maybe I’d see them there.






















“Yeah, okay,” I said, and followed them into the assembly hall as oppose to the canteen, where students were sometimes allowed to sit and eat.



















“Your song’s really good,” Jason said as he dug out a ham sandwich. “I didn’t think romance was your thing.”




























“It’s not,” I said, painfully aware of the last time I had seen him. “But times were desperate, and I have imagination.”








































Gabby laughed.


























“Seriously, though,” Jason said in a musing tone. “Where did you get your inspiration?”






I blushed. Damn him for being so bloody observant. The good thing about Maddy…she tended not to notice so much if there was something else going on under the surface. Though that could be a bad thing sometimes.




























“Old movies,” I said stupidly, breaking off a Twix bar. “That sort of thing. Ed Sheeran songs are good, too, you know. Very lyrical.”

































“Yeah, he plays guitar, doesn’t he?” Jason said.



















“Who?” I said.




























“Ed Sheeran,” Jason said, looking at me as though I was really weird. “We were just talking about him.”


































“Oh yeah,” I said. “Sorry. I was thinking about someone else.”
















I was very glad Gabby changed the subject at that moment. I was getting dangerously close to unchartered waters I didn’t ever want to cross. Not ever.


























I made a bit more of an effort to keep up with the conversation after that, throwing in random facts and anecdotes. Jason and Gabby made a good audience. They actually listened. I found myself telling them things I usually kept to myself, things I’d shoot myself over later. Because when people listen, you just can’t help talking. Mum used to, but now her mind was on dates. And Maddy…she never really did. Only now it was worse, because she was in love and I wasn’t.






































“So you’re telling me,” Jason said, chortling. “That you once shouted at the shop assistant because they didn’t stock the latest My Little Pony doll? That’s hilarious.”










“It’s not funny,” I said insistently. “I was really upset.” I crossed my arms. “I never did get that doll. And to this day, I am still banned from that store.”

















“They banned you?” Gabby said in a shocked voice. “I’m not even sure that’s legal, Eve. Do you want me to check up on that for you?”


















“No, it’s okay,” I said, “it was a crap shop, anyway. Overpriced and badly stocked.”








“Er…I didn’t think Argos was like that,” Jason said, coughing as he said it. I glared at him. “I mean, I’m sure they are…er, behind closed doors.”

















“Relax, Jase, she’s kidding,” Gabby said, rolling her eyes at me.














“Actually, I’m not,” I said sternly, and they both exchanged glances. “Joking! You two are such suckers.”






























“We were humouring you,” Jason said stubbornly.



















Yeah right.






























“Yeah, if I believe that, I’ll believe anything,” I said, throwing my Twix wrapper in a nearby bin. It missed and landed on the floor.

























“Aren’t you going to pick that up?” Gabby said. “Littering’s bad for the planet, you know.”






“Oh well, let the future generations suffer,” I said – but gave up when they each shot me black looks. Scary. They weren’t scientologists, were they?












Maybe.





























The bell rang to signal the end of lunch. Damn. Bloody maths again.
























Even Gabby looked less than enthusiastic, saying she was ‘too tired for algebra’. Jason sighed and started to slope out of the assembly hall, leaving us no choice but to trudge after him. Life was just…depressing.



























Maddy caught up with me as I dragged my toes into Maths. She was pink and beaming, like she’d had the best day ever.




























“What’s up with you?” I said – then a sudden thought struck me. “You’re not pregnant, are you? ’cause you’ve got that glow – ouch!”



























I shoved her back – just as the teacher appeared in the doorway. Crap. Don’t give us detention don’t give us detention don’t give us detention…





















“Detention,” he said smoothly, and we groaned.



















“It’s not funny,” Maddy said furiously to Frankie, who was doubled up with laughter. “It’s really not. We have band practice at my garage after this, remember? So good luck getting into my house.” She smirked in triumph at me, and I smirked back.















“Oh, I’m sure Mrs Taylor would be more than happy to let your boyfriend and your friends in,” he said, and he had us there.


















































“Did you know I hate you?” Maddy said, but from the look in her eyes it was obvious it was the opposite. She was completely besotted.




















I sat at the back, next to my ‘buddy’ Fran, and tried to block out the prickles of hurt in my chest. I didn’t even know why. So what, my best friend was in love? So what the biggest crush I’d ever had was on Daniel Radcliffe? So what if life was slipping away from me, leaving me behind. Different didn’t always have to bad, did it? And love didn’t have to be embarrassing, awkward, clumsy, did it?






















I started filling out the algebra sheet, silently sighing.















“I’d have thought you knew how to do that after last time,” said a low, teasing voice. “Or maybe you’ve lost your touch.”



























I kept my head down, hand scribbling. Because I wasn’t going to fall in love – not for anyone, and not for my best friend’s boyfriend.
















I knew better than that. Besides, boyfriends were overrated.


















Out of reach. And so not worth it.
























I turned over the half-done sheet, and tried to work out why doing the right thing hurt so much.

Back in the garage, things were hitting off. Literally, with Jason’s drums banging away in the corner, quiet but somehow loud. It was an odd fusion. I supposed he was trying to do romantic, while still staying true to his drummer tendencies. Frankie’s guitar was as flawless as ever, matching Maddy’s sweet voice and Gabby’s harmonies and my backing vocals.




Even though I had technically come up with the song, it was hard not to feel useless. And I hadn’t even told my Mum I was going to band practice, so she sent me a dozen messages on her recently-acquired phone. I wondered if she was texting her ‘boyfriend’ Gary too. I wanted to stay away from home now, even if it meant being in trouble later, so I sent a quick text explaining and switched the phone off. If she got lonely, she could always join a dating site.




Why not have two boyfriends? Why not get married and have cute little babies? One thing always led to another, and I for one wasn’t holding my breath. I just never expected to feel so bitter, so rejected. It was Dad all over again, in a new way.


















I didn’t tell the others any of this. Just smiled and kept on practising, even when four o’clock turned into five.
























Where are you, sweetheart? I could imagine Mum crying. Why won’t you come home?











“Again,” Maddy said in a determined voice. “I want to get it exactly right.”










She had hit a bum note, and was taking it hard.




















“Actually, do you mind if I go inside for a drink?” I said. “I know it’s still winter and everything, but it’s boiling in here.” Well, I was boiling. I hoped I wasn’t coming down with something, because I had enough to deal with right now. Or maybe it would be a good thing. I wouldn’t have to go to school, at least. And I could get out of practising ‘Floating Angels’ again. There’s only so much of your own song you can stand before it starts to sound rubbish again. Well, I was sick of it, anyway. The others didn’t seem to mind over-doing things, so perhaps it was just me and my laziness. They kept on going regardless of my surly attitude, but I wasn’t going anywhere. Home wasn’t the same anymore.











“Yeah, sure,” Maddy said. “Grab us all a can.”

















“Will do,” I said, praying I wouldn’t run into Mrs Taylor. She was nice enough, but a bit irritating. And I didn’t really want to be caught raiding the fridge, however innocent my intentions were. I guess I was stupidly bored of making conservation, explaining things. It was so stupid, but everything was overwhelming today. Like a somersault of emotions, hitting you smack in the face. And then some. I certainly felt winded, anyway.










Exhausted was the word. Sleeping was hard these days.

















Thankfully, Mrs Taylor was off painting her nails somewhere, so I was free to get us all fizzy drinks and a tray of snacks, a tiny chocolate each. I made my way back to the garage, ignoring the faint smell of oil from Maddy’s Dad’s car.















“Food!” Frankie said, sniffing the air. “Food!”



















I put the tray down on the worktop, harder than necessary. Maddy laughed and ruffled her boyfriend’s floppy hair, and I looked away. Something was definitely wrong with me today. I was all weirded-out.






























Everyone dug in, like they hadn’t had lunch a few hours ago. I secretly wondered whether they all had nothing in their fridge, and privately laughed to myself. Luckily not out loud, because that would be crazy.

























“You’re a slave driver, Maddy,” I said when she promised we weren’t giving up until at least six thirty.












































































































Maddy narrowed her eyes. “Don’t you want the band to succeed, Eve?” she said in a taut voice, and I didn’t know whether she was really mad or not.







































“Yeah,” I said, “it’s just, some people don’t have the luxury of going upstairs and then being home. It’s a long way from your house –” hem, hem, palace, “- to mine. You know that.”






“You can get a lift, idiot,” Maddy said as though this was obvious. She twirled one perfect strand round her finger, again and again. “Honestly, you’re such a drama queen.”











“Me?” I said indignantly. “You have got to be kidding me, Maddy! You’re so…OTT even Madonna avoids you.”

























There was a long silence, in which no one dared breathe. Then we all burst out laughing.







“I suppose I have been a bit driven,” Maddy said graciously. “But I’m under a lot of pressure here, guys, as lead singer.”
























I almost made a face at her, but stopped myself at the last minute. I had been snappy enough already, and I didn’t want to cause a row because I couldn’t keep my emotions in check.







What did it matter everything sucked? It still would whether I was nice or mean. I would just have to accept that, depressingly enough.
































“I’d say it’s a hell of a lot more pressure actually writing the songs,” Frankie said, maybe remembering what I had said the day of Maddy’s musical surprise. “What? I was just saying.”

































Please, not silence again.

























But despite my awkwardness, I couldn’t stop my heart beating fast when he stuck up for me…over Maddy. I was such a bitch.



















“Yeah,” Jason said, taking my side. “It’s harder than you think.”














Maddy flipped her long blonde hair over one shoulder. “Whatever,” she said.











“I better go now, anyway,” I said, feeling I had caused enough trouble. “I wasn’t supposed to stay this late, so…” I let my voice trail away.




















“Can’t you stay for a little while longer?” Gabby said kindly. “I mean, there’s no band practice without all five of us.”

























“Please, I’m just backing vocals,” I said, standing up. “You’ve got my song, what else do you want? My blood? My sweat? My –”





























“Alright, calm down,” Frankie said – but he was definitely grinning now.













“Well I’m glad you’re amused,” I said, sniffing. I ‘accidentally’ bashed his leg as I went past.





“Actually, I might as well go too,” Frankie said cheerfully. “I want to catch that game on TV.”
































Hell no.


































“Well, I’ll probably walk really fast,” I said, hinting heavily.

















“That’s OK – I know you’re a runner, remember?” he said, winking at me. Luckily his back was turned, so no one else saw – or I just might have killed him. What did I have to do to make a really cute boy leave me alone? Where’s the justice in the world?











I kept to my promise, though, and walked briskly down Maddy’s pathway. Frankie kept up with me happily enough, making stupid comments and bizarre conversation. I ignored him the best I could, but it was becoming impossible and he was persistent. So I ended up answering his senseless questions, just to shut him up. What kind of person asked about favourite animals, anyway? I had always wanted a dog, but still. A nice black and white shepherd dog called Baxter…yeah, that was my dream. It was startling to discover I spoke far more openly to everyone but the people I was closest to – my best friend and my mum. Maybe it was because strangers kept secrets so much better. It felt like they judged you less. When Maddy was in the wrong mood, I felt like I couldn’t tell her anything. Or even in the right one. I was beginning to feel like I really didn’t know her at all. Because I may a coward; I may be stupid and mixed-up and seriously fed up, but I knew what being a best friend meant. And right now, Jason, Gabby and Frankie seemed to fit that label so much better. Maybe Maddy was simply bored of me. Well, it didn’t look like we’d be together for much longer, anyway, as she still hadn’t told me her subject options and right now, I really didn’t care. Almost hoped we wouldn’t be in the same classes, because then it would be easier to pretend we still understood each other.





















“So you seemed really pissed off today,” Frankie said. “Mostly with me and Maddy. Is it because we didn’t go with you to pick our options? Because we didn’t mean anything by it. We weren’t trying to leave you out.”













































We, we, we.




























“It’s not because of that, actually,” I said loftily. “I’m just sick of listening to her melodramas, alright? Because you know the thing about friendship? It’s not supposed to be one-sided.”

























He looked taken aback. “Talk to her if you’ve got that much of a chip on your shoulder,” he said.






































“You’re a boy, Frankie; simple. You don’t understand. Friendships between girls…well, they’re complicated.”
















































“They don’t have to be,” he said.























Oh, yes, they do. They really, really do. I knew he wouldn’t understand. Because maybe friendship was like age; it eroded away as time passed, without you even noticing. Until one day you woke up and saw a thousand wrinkles in the mirror. That was Maddy and me. Dried out. The goodness seemed all but sucked away.


















People change, grow up, and that’s the way it has to be. Like when people die. Time doesn’t stop, the world doesn’t cease the exist. Everything carries on, like clockwork.








“Clockwork,” Frankie said. “Interesting theory. But have you ever considered this: that, like wine, friendship gets better with age; stronger?”


















I stared at him in disbelief. He was hard to work out sometimes, and I didn’t know whether he was being serious. But there was something about the way he spoke; a wisdom in his calm green eyes, that made me listen. Like maybe he wasn’t a total idiot after all. Even if he was taking my best friend away from me.
























“Maybe,” I said. “Look…just ignore me. I’m really tired and I don’t know what I’m saying.”



“You sounded pretty clear to me,” he said, gazing at me steadily, and I was reminded of the sea, of the way it watched the world; lapped up gifts from strange sands. The ocean, I thought, his eyes are like the ocean.























“I was just having a stupid rant, OK?” I said, for some reason angry. But it wasn’t really him I was mad at. “Forget what I said, Frankie – please? Don’t tell Maddy.”











I waited, holding my breath. Waited for him to tell me I was a traitor, a bad best friend; secretive, uncool. But he didn’t say any of these things.

















“If you want,” he said, shrugging. “I know she can be a bit of a handful at times.”










“Yeah,” I said. “But that’s why I like her. It’s just…sometimes, I need her to listen to me too.” I turned a little pink as I said it, thinking it was maybe not a good idea to spill all my thoughts to a boy who may or may not tell my best friend what I really thought of her.






“Yeah, I get that,” Frankie said, sighing. “It’s…draining, at times. Don’t get me wrong,” he looked suddenly scared I might confide in Maddy too. “She’s great and everything. A little clingy, maybe…”



























I frowned. That wasn’t how Maddy saw it. They were always together, and they seemed happy. But what if one of them wasn’t? Wanted out? Was it my job to say it to her?







Which decision would make me a bad friend?






















“Can I ask you something?” I said slowly.



















“Yeah – ask away,” he said.
























“You – you know Maddy?” I said, swallowing. “Do – do you love her?”












Frankie looked into the evening gloom, his face turned away.













“No,” he said.

No.





No, Maddy, I did not want to go to your cousin’s party. Especially not with the audition drawing ever closer…close enough to set my heart on fire and leave my lungs breathless. What happened to her hard work, her dedication?




I can’t deal with teen puke right now, Mads. Maybe another time. Eve.

I sent the text, knowing I’d end up going anyway, even if I didn’t want to. I was a sucker for a guilt trip, and Maddy knew that. Still…her cousin was turning sixteen, a world away from mild drinks and dancing and fumbled kisses. No, I had a feeling Maddy’s cousin’s party was going to be very different. More like drugs and heavy alcohol and maybe even, to my horror, sex. Mum would kill me – and, to be honest, I would kill myself if I went. Seriously. Totally. Not happening. The girl had spoken.




Ten minutes later, I had agreed to go to the party. Not because I had no will power…but because Maddy said her and Frankie had been distant for the past few days and she was worried he was going off her. What could I say, then? That I knew he didn’t love her? That he was not worth her hopes, dreams, future? Could I let my best friend date a guy who wasn’t committed enough? Or was I being too hasty?


Maddy was the kind of girl who could fall in and out of love every five minutes. Other people weren’t like that. They took time, and eventually, those feelings grew. Five months might be a lot when you’re a teenager, but in the grand scheme of things, it didn’t seem like long to be really into someone. They were both still young…


But a horrible, niggling thought persisted at the back of my mind. That, this time, Frankie wasn’t just another Maddy-fad. She had spoken honestly, hesitantly, about her boyfriend. And I had believed her.





But the trouble was, I had also believed Frankie.



What if love didn’t grow on trees? What if…what if he never did fall for her the same way she was falling for him? What if he was the wrong boy, and she was the wrong girl?
What if it was none of my business?




And it was none of my business, I realized. I had no right to be asking everyone about their love lives and criticising their honesty. How could I, a girl with no experience of romance, tell other people how to run their own relationships?



When does the party start? I texted to Maddy. Cos my mum’s been off with me since last band practice, and I don’t think she’ll let me go out that late.


I should have known, then, that she would have a better plan.



Oh, you won’t be going out late. You meet me at my house at 6, and we will go to party at 9. Capiche?





Capiche, I texted back warily.




Some spirits were impossible to break.
*



The music was loud.




Very, very loud.





Ear-splitting and painful, it bashed off the walls and crippled my eardrums. All around me, boys and girls were dancing; laughing; smoking; kissing.



My dark brown curls bounced down my shoulders; heavy and comforting. I blinked more often than usual now, due to the fact Maddy had painted my eyelids blue to ‘bring out my eyes’. Well, she knew about these things so I had gone along with it – that and the cherry lip gloss. I was starting to wonder if I maybe went along with a lot of things to keep the peace.
Well, not quite as much as before. It seemed now like every emotion I had ever suppressed was rising to the surface now; bigger, uglier, and blazing. Confusion…jealousy…fear…desire…betrayal…and hope. That was what made up most of my emotional climate. No wonder I was so on edge these days, scared to say one thing to someone and wishing some would stop saying things to me. I wished I didn’t know Maddy loved Frankie. And I wished I didn’t know he didn’t love her in return.


Being a teenager, I decided, was the worst job in the world.


It’s not like I wanted to be a little kid or anything…no, it was the opposite. I wanted to be way way older, twenty eight or thirty five or maybe even forty. An age where I knew who I was, just a little bit. Where I was sorted and maybe married and doing something I loved, with someone I loved. I wished I could understand, just a little, of what it meant to be me.

Eve Forrest. Just another name of many, or somebody?


“Hey,” said a random boy who had appeared in front of me, seemingly out of air. “Want a beer?” He held out a can.





I hesitated. Did I want a beer?




“Yeah, OK,” I said – it couldn’t be that bad, surely. I accepted the can, hoping the age ‘thirteen’ wasn’t written all over my face. Maybe the make-up made me look more like fifteen. Well, I was fourteen in June, and that seemed to count for something, even though we were barely out of the New Year. I would be fourteen, anyway.



I took a swing of beer – and nearly choked. It was disgusting, like something old men stank of, which I guess it was. But I kept my face smiling as I looked at the boy. He was fairly cute, I decided; maybe a little too forward, but otherwise pretty gentlemanly.


“I haven’t seen you around,” the boy said slowly. “I don’t think I’d have forgotten.”

This time I did choke on my beer – with laughter. I could barely keep my sides together I was so bawled over. Was – he – serious?




The boy watched my attempts to control myself with a half-raised eyebrow. I flushed crimson. Why couldn’t I be cool, just this once, in the face of a boy?

“Sorry,” I said, my laughter turning to a quiet chuckle. “I just think I’ve heard that before.”
“You get many offers, then?” he said as I downed another gulp of beer.


I hid my smile. “Not many, no. I meant from movies, and stuff,” I said.


“Sweet,” the boy said. He held out his hand. “I’m John.”


I shook it, feeling a little medieval. “Gosh, that’s a boring name,” I said, nearly spitting out my next gulp. “Your parents can’t have liked you much.”


“They’re arseholes,” he said calmly, and watched me wiped my mouth with the sleeve of Maddy’s castoff jumper.




“Well, that’s not nice,” I said with a frown.



John didn’t seem to care it wasn’t nice. He took my hand and led me through the crush of partygoers, through the pile of sick and into the kitchen. He rummaged in the cupboards and brought out a bottle of something sticky. More alcohol, I guessed. And probably stronger than beer. I bit my lip. Tipsy or not tipsy, would I really take such a risk?

I felt my head a little dazedly. Jason’s drums must’ve got stored up there because that was all I could hear. Banging. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.


Why didn’t Maddy just stick with me like she’d promised? None of this would have happened if she was a better friend, like I tried to be.


It was hard to tell whether I meant what I thought in the moment. On one hand…I might have been a little confused; but on the other…what had that girl ever done for me?

And what best friend guilt tripped you along to a party and then abandoned you? And not just any party – the party of a sixteen-year-old boy. And his sleazy mates.


Some friend.




“Here,” John said, passing me a bubbling plastic cup.



“Thanks,” I said, shivering. I took another big gulp, and was relieved to find this one was better. More expensive, I guessed, but quality mattered. At least this way I’d be okay, probably. It bothered me there were no guarantees, somewhere in the back of my mind; but for tonight, the sensible little girl who usually ruled my decisions was locked away.
She was boring, and she never made any decisions. The girl I was now…she was flirting with a boy in a darkened kitchen, drinking real, grown-up alcohol. She knew how to act cool, how to be cool, and she was certainly somebody. Maybe I’d even be kissed…

“Where d’you go to school, then?” the boy asked lazily, looking a little out of it himself.
I frowned again. He wouldn’t be up to kissing me if he kept looking like that.

“Raven Field High,” I said. “I’m in the middle of year ten. How about you?”


“Jepson school for boys,” he said. “Year eleven.”




Uh-oh. I remembered something Maddy had once said about them…about how when boys were cooped up together all day every day, they got desperate for girl company. But John didn’t seem desperate. He was so cool and relaxed.






“What does?”





“Ben’s party. My life,” he said, drumming his hands on the table. I was reminded again of Jason…and Gabby. They had given this social scene a miss – not that Maddy would have wanted them there, anyway. She made that perfectly clear.



“They’re good fun,” she had said earlier. “Good for the band. But between you and me, geeks don’t do parties.”





I had wondered if she was using them, then, like she had used me tonight.


I put a hand to my forehead again, refocusing on John. “What the hell’s the matter with your life?” I said in a bewildered voice – from astonishment or drunkenness, I couldn’t tell.
“My Dad wants me to be a Doctor,” he said, mumbling now. “But I wanna be a musician. So I was all: Dad, get the f out of my life. And he was all: ‘you’re picking Chemistry whether you like it or not you ungrateful bastard’. So I was like –”


Bang.





The kitchen door was smashed open.




And, stood there with mascara trailing down her cheeks, was Maddy.

She looked equally surprised to see me here, but looked too dazed to actually do anything.
Her long, perfectly straight blonde hair was mussed around her face, and her eyes were red; brimming over.





I forgot all about John and his crazy Dad and rushed up to her.


“Maddy?” I said gently, steering her to a chair. “What’s wrong?”


“What’s right?” she said – and she put her head in her hands. From the way she was shaking, I could tell she was crying.




Maddy – crying? It didn’t add up. Maddy was a party girl – a lucky girl, a girl in love and a girl with everything. What on earth did she have to - ?



No. No way. He didn’t. I felt cold all over.




“Mads,” I said quietly. “Did Frankie do something to upset you?”


“We…we argued,” Maddy said, still with her head on the table. “Said some stupid stuff. And…Eve, I think we might have broken up!”



Broken up? No way. They were so stable; in a healthy, five-month relationship.

Even as I thought the words, I knew I was wrong. Because there were cracks; deep cracks I wasn’t sure even Maddy could ignore any longer.




But it didn’t sound as though Frankie had told her the truth. At least, not the whole truth.
I was torn; did I just leave it now I knew they were no longer together?


The doors swung open again.





It was Frankie. Of course. Maybe he had come to talk to her?





Maddy’s messy blonde head snapped up as soon as she heard the door. Her eyes were pleading; smudged with black liner. I thought my heart might split in two.

Maddy wasn’t meant to be sad. She was my lively, happy best friend, and she always had been.





But not now.





Now she needed me.





“Bye, Maddy,” Frankie said in a curt, icy voice – and he pushed open the back door.

The wind blew it shut. To her, I knew, it was like a smack in the face.

“He hates me,” she whispered.

So that was it. Maddy and Frankie were over.






















And I was grounded.
























So much had changed in one night. My two friends had gone from kissing each other to hissing at each other, and I had gone from this smart, golden girl to a scary teenager, a girl who turned up puking on her mother’s doorstep, blue eye shadow mixed with tears.







“I am so disappointed in you, Eve,” Mum kept saying.


















So was I. Overnight, I had turned into someone else. Maybe the old me wasn’t so bad. She certainly had more things sussed than this new, more daring me.














And she definitely didn’t get drunk and go to kitchens alone with strange, spoiled boys who hated their parents.



























Maybe it wasn’t cool at all to be like Maddy.






















I put my feet slowly on the floor as I got out of bed. It was a Monday morning – the worst kind.
















































As usual, my hair was all over my face, so I tugged my brush through it until it looked less like a bird’s nest and more like a hairstyle. Then I took a red velvet scrunchie and tied my hair in a high ponytail. The curls shivered at the base of my neck.















I was staying make-up free today. Tired-looking or not, natural was the way for me. I was never going to be beautiful whatever I did, so why be fake on top of everything else?










I took my bulky rucksack and pattered to the kitchen. Mum was already there, with bacon and eggs. She silently passed me the plate.




































“Ah, come on, Mum,” I said. “I didn’t mean to upset you. And I was only late because Maddy was upset, and I’m her friend!”























“You’re also my thirteen-year-old daughter,” Mum said through pursed lips. “And right now, I don’t think it’s a good idea if you associate with that girl.”
























I just about kept my mouth from dropping open. So I wasn’t allowed to look out for my friends, was I?




































I stood up, shaking. “I hate you,” I said. “It’s alright for you to do whatever you want, isn’t it? And you don’t see me with my tongue down guys’ throats –”


















“I’m your mother,” Mum said like I needed reminding. “And it is none of your business who I do or don’t see – is that clear?”




























“Bye,” I said, storming out the door. Maybe I’d be hit by a bus on the way to school – then she’d be sorry…



































“Eve!”



































I turned round. Gabby was there, her eyes square and shocked. So she had heard, then. I wondered who had told her. She despised all kinds of social networking apart from the standard mobile phone.

















































































“I couldn’t believe it when Jason told me,” she said. “Poor Maddy!”

















I remembered what ‘poor Maddy’ had said about them yesterday evening, and felt a flash of anger. Then I thought of Maddy’s smudged mascara; her tears, her desperation. I thought of the way Frankie had said goodbye.

























“Yeah, poor Maddy,” I said.

























Gabby linked my arm as we walked to the bus stop, talking non-stop about last night, asking me for details. But I knew she wasn’t after gossip; she cared, even if Maddy barely thought of her as a friend, an equal. I was suddenly sick of keeping everyone else’s secrets. Sick of everyone.













































































“I thought they were forever,” Gabby said with a sigh.






























“Me too,” I said sadly. “But I guess nothing is forever, really.”



















The bus swept past, only stopping at the last minute. We trudged on in mud-splattered school shoes, seriously regretting taking a shortcut through the park. Well, I thought darkly, we couldn’t feel worse than Maddy.



























Where was she, anyway? She sometimes caught the bus with me, if she wasn’t being driven. I sent her a quick text asking if she was alright. I didn’t get a reply even after fifteen minutes. That wasn’t like her. She always kept in contact.




















I started to feel worried now. What if she wasn’t coming to school? What if she’d done something stupid?
































What if she was scared; lost; alone, the way I always felt these days? What if she just needed a friend?


































The bus screeched to a stop. I half wanted to cover my ears, because the sound was almost as painful as fingers making their way slowly down a blackboard. It gave me chills, anyway.








We were almost late. It was twenty to eight, and we all had to be in form by quarter to. I had slept in later today, and my head was thumping. I was never touching alcohol again. Not if I got this sort of hangover after a few beers and a swig of posh wine. Clearly, I couldn’t handle my drink. I wished I had stayed at home like Gabby, like Jason. It didn’t feel cool to have this massive ache where my brain should be. Suddenly being a geek didn’t seem so bad after all, and I wondered if Maddy sometimes thought that too.





















And Gabby wasn’t a geek; not really. She was a sweet girl; a friend. She just happened to be serious-minded and clever. That didn’t mean she couldn’t be as much fun as my cooler, more popular friends like Maddy. In fact, these days…I felt more comfortable around girls like Gabby.



































Our form tutor was not amused by our timing. She tutted and ushered us to our seats; at the back. I looked around for Maddy, but her face was nowhere to my seen. My feelings of anxiety increased, especially when I saw Frankie, in the seat next to the window, unsmiling. He refused to meet my accusatory, questioning stare, and kept his face turned away; towards the lumpy hills outside. Well, if he wanted to be a coward then fine.




















My phone made a familiar, buzzing sound in my blazer pocket. Shit. If that was Maddy, then I needed to answer that – and now. She might not phone again.




















I stuck my hand up, asking to go to the toilet. Miss Halfpenny, the form tutor, told me to go just before first lesson started. But I couldn’t wait that long! Something had to be done; and something drastic.































“But Miss,” I said, ignoring the squeak of the table as I pushed it aside and stood up. “I need to go now. It’s urgent.”

































Miss Halfpenny raised her eyebrows. “And what’s so urgent?” she said sceptically. “Is your bladder about to burst?”






































She was making fun of me. The class started to laugh – but far from embarrassment, all I could feel was a hot, burning surge of anger.






























“No…but you’re a bitch,” I said, tuning out Gabby and the class’s gasp.


























In the corner, I could have sworn the right side of Frankie’s face was turned up in a smile.








“Bye, miss,” I said cheerfully, skipping out of the room. She shouted after me, telling me I was a stupid, disobedient girl; and stupid, disobedient girls went straight to the Head’s.















Whatever. Her empty threats were getting really boring.





















Beneath my anger, I could feel a thrill of adrenaline. Nobody in that class expected me; shy, polite little Eve to stand up to our witch of a form tutor like that. It felt good.











I took out my phone quickly once I was on the staircase. It had stopped ringing by now. Damn. I tapped in Maddy’s number and waited anxiously.

















After a few tries, I got through to her.























“Mads!” I said in relief. “You will not believe the morning I’ve had…” I launched into the tale of the form tutor, while she said things like ‘you didn’t’ and ‘you are such a dark horse, Eve’. I was relieved she was sounding halfway normal. Relieved we could have a conversation that didn’t involve the dark, heavy stuff going on in both our worlds. Mum and her anger, her boyfriend…Frankie and his flirting…Maddy’s break-up…both our fears. For just a few seconds, we were just two gossiping best friends.






















Then came the pause. I knew this was my cue to ‘talk’.


















“Maddy,” I said quietly. “Is everything okay?”



















Silence.









































“Maddy?” I said in an almost pleading voice.


























“I’m fine,” Maddy said breezily, the way I usually did. “Stop worrying. I’m pulling a sickie.”









If everything was okay then why was she avoiding him?

















I took a deep breath. “Look, I know you’re upset about Frankie…” I started to say.








“That loser?” Maddy said. “As if. We are so over.”

















That wasn’t how she had sounded last night. Still, I was keen to encourage her to forget about him.


































“Right,” I said. “So anyway, why aren’t you coming in today?”














“The same reason you shouldn’t have come in today. Hello, hangover!” Maddy said, laughing. Then she groaned. “It feels like band practice is playing over and over again in my head.”






























I thought of how weird I had felt last night, and found myself nodding, even though she couldn’t see me.














































































“Tell me about it,” I said. “So, anyway….what about band practice? Are we over?”












My stomach flipped over at the thought…but I had to know. Had to know if my one big dream was about to be trampled on because two of our friends had gone from being in love to hating each other. Well, one of them had been in love.
























Had it been all about the looks for Frankie, then? Hadn’t he fallen for Maddy’s charming, dramatic, funny personality just a little bit?


























Boys. They were all the same. They picked the prettiest girls in school, then refused to commit to them. He was probably lining up his next victim right now.












“Eve!” Maddy said, sounding shocked. “There is no way we are over. If that tosser Frankie wants out, then goodbye to him; but we’re carrying on the band. You don’t really think I’d be that selfish, do you?”























I thought about her question. Yes, actually, I had thought that. Not because she was a self-centred bitch…but because she was hurting, and friends came before dreams.












You can get another chance to make everything you have ever hoped for come true. I wasn’t sure you could get another chance to be somebody’s best friend when it really counted. So despite my confusion; my doubt and my anger, yes, I would have expected the band to break up, and I wouldn’t have blamed her for it. Not ever.




























“Not selfish, no,” I said. “But Mads…isn’t it going to be horrible for you? Awkward, I mean.”






































“No way,” she said firmly. “Whoever is still in the band carries on coming to practice, like always. OK?”


































































“OK,” I said, fiddling with a fallen curl. “Right. Should…should I tell the others that, then?”





But we both knew I really meant Frankie.





















“Yes,” she said fiercely. “You tell the others.”
























“Oh…and Maddy,” I said. “D’you want to come for a sleepover at mine tomorrow night? It’s just, my Mum’s going on another date and I’m grounded…”















I could almost hear her smiling.
























“Sure,” she said. “I’ll bring the makeover kit.”






















Crap.



































“Great,” I said, trying not to diffuse her new spirits. “That should be…fun.”










“Oh, Eve, I’m joking!” Maddy said. “I’ll bring round a box set of Harry Potter DVDs, OK? And some sweet popcorn?”





























“You can forget the popcorn,” I said, grinning. “There’s nothing sweet about that stuff. But, yes, Hogwarts sounds good to me!”
























Maybe we couldn’t wave a magic wand and make the past twenty four hours disappear. Maybe Maddy was still in love with Frankie and maybe life wasn’t as simple as you wanted. But you could try and make things work anyway, because there is always someone out there who cares.































“See you at platform nine and three quarters,” Maddy said.














“Yeah,” I said. “See you…”

Mum was seriously mad when she found out I had called my form tutor the b word.









Furious, handwritten letters came from the school, demanding an apology. But I knew from the movies the hero should never give in to blackmail. So what if they were threatening to exclude me? All the more time I could spend with Maddy, the band. Thanks school.






“This is not funny!” Mum said, breathing hard through her nostrils.
















On the contrary, it was hilarious. But I had the sense to keep my mouth shut, because I actually planned to make it to adulthood, when nobody could tell me what to do and who to be friends with.
































“I know,” I said, hanging my head. “Sorry, Mum.”


















Her eyes softened. “I know, sweetheart. And if you must know, I think the school is being ridiculous.”


























I laughed lightly, letting out a huge breath. “So it’s still OK for my friends to come round while you’re…out?” I said, crossing my fingers under the table.




























“I suppose so,” Mum said. “As long as they’re girls.”

















“Mum, of course!” I said. “I told you, Maddy’s split from Frankie, and it would be plain weird if Jason was the only boy at a sleepover! We’d eat him alive.”













“Just checking,” Mum said, smiling at my protest.




















Even though I felt a little guilty, I was glad we were back on speaking terms. Who knew swearing at your form tutor could lead to such fortune?

















Maybe I should try it again some time.

























I dug out my phone and texted Maddy and Gabby, confirming they could come round at seven, laden with magic DVDs (Maddy) and chocolate (Gabby). I was providing the house and the sleeping bags.







































Mum started getting dressed up at five. She looked just as lovely as she had the other day, but whenever I looked at her, I just felt an ache of sadness, and wondered if her and my mystery Dad had ever properly gone out together. By the sound of it, the answer was no.


















My ‘Dad’ was a nobody. A loser. But still, it hurt Mum was finding a new model. Couldn’t she see I didn’t want another dad – just her?



























“How do I look?” Mum said, smoothing down a lock of hair.





















I could have been really mean then and told her she looked rubbish. But I was sick of being mean and cold. I was sick of the space between us. I just wanted everything to be the same as it had been six months ago, before all these dates and crushes and friends breaking up and a super-scary audition. I was happy six months ago. Realizing that, it was a shock how dramatically all that had changed.































“You look amazing,” I said. “Half your age.”






















Mum swatted me with a tea towel. “Give over,” she said – but she was smiling.
































She left ten minutes later, looking nervous but excited. I told her to have a great time, and I may not have wanted her to have a boyfriend, but I did mean it. Because if he hurt her, I would personally track him down and throttle him myself. Just as a little heads-up.









I texted Maddy to say Mum had gone, and she could come over anytime – at six, before, it didn’t really matter. I sent Gabby a similar message, and she was quicker to reply, saying she was coming straight over. Literally. She lived way closer to me than Maddy did, over on the rich side of town.





























It made me smile sometimes that girls like us were friends – Gabby: the smart, kind, sensible bookworm; Maddy; the dramatic, beautiful girl from a wealthy background; and me, the quiet dreamer who didn’t know her own Dad.































Ring, ring.






























I rushed to the door. I could make out the blurred outline of Gabby, her thumbs up. I smiled and let her in.




























“I didn’t know how much chocolate to bring,” she was saying. “So I ended up raiding my mum’s emergency supply!”
























I smiled again. Gabby’s mum was a junior heartbreaker who fell in and out of love, and made it up by eating ice cream and chocolate. Not that was fat – quite the opposite. She wanted her daughter to be a model. Thinking about that, I remembered the boy from the other night. Why were some parents so obsessed with ruling their kids’ lives? If they wanted robots, then why have babies?






























“Is Maddy here yet?” Gabby said, glancing round my cluttered lounge.











I rolled my eyes at her. “Don’t you think you would have known by now if Maddy was here?” I said amusedly.






































“Oh yeah,” Gabby said, giving me a goofy smile. “How is she handling the breakup, anyway?”


































I made a face. “I don’t know,” I said. “She looked so crushed after they split, but when I spoke to her at school –” Gabby groaned at the memory of my disobedience. “- she sounded fiercely determined – and up for some girl power. Apparently, Frankie’s a tosser and a loser. She hardly sounded broken-hearted.”





















Gabby frowned thoughtfully, her eyebrows pulling together. “Hmmn,” she said as the door bell rang again. Maddy!





























I went and opened it, feeling like a yo-yo. “Hey, Mads,” I said, ushering her inside. “Did you bring the DVDs?”



























She held up a big, glossy bag full of all eight films. Jeez. We wouldn’t be sleeping tonight. That kind of defeated the whole purpose of a ‘sleepover’, but hey ho.












Maddy’s pale blonde hair was pulled back into a ponytail, straight and perfect down her back. Her face was fresh and make-up free, making her look younger than she ever had – fourteen, for once. Her clothes were bright, expensive, designer – but today they just seemed to highlight the fact she was so miserable. It was like looking at a rain washed picture. Beautiful, but drained.







































Maybe she wasn’t handling the breakup as well as I’d thought. Well, OK – as well as I’d hoped. I felt suddenly fiercely protective of her – like she was worth a thousand Frankies.




I didn’t really want to think of the man of the moment himself, but the memory of his smile in form was still on my mind; that and all the other times. And I would be lying if I said my heart didn’t tug just a tiny bit in my chest when I thought of the aeroplane. A small, paper ghost from my past. The ghost of a crush. That was all it was. All it ever could be.














Because Maddy needed me. And clearly, he was an idiot.





















I started getting my old DVD player into working shape. I had to hit it a few times from Maddy’s shoe, but it got there in the end. We watched the first film without wasting much time, so it was still early when we finished. Then I suggested we watch all the others in different languages.





























“German, please!” Maddy said.
























So we watched the second film entirely in German. It was hilarious. Politically incorrect, but hilarious. And I liked to think that somewhere, three German girls were going into hysterics over the English language. It seemed fair to me.






















We choked with laughter when Harry, Ron and Hermione had a conversation we couldn’t understand. After a while – in which we watched the third, fourth and fifth films in French, Albanian and Turkish – the neighbours started knocking on the wall.












“Knock back,” Maddy said with a roll of her eyes.
























I nudged her. “Hello, I have to live here!” I reminded her.















“Oh well,” Maddy shrugged her shoulders sadly, like she couldn’t help herself – then she bashed right back, harder.








































“That’s not fair on Eve,” Gabby said, her lip quivering. “She might get into trouble – and she already is over the party and the swearing.”





















“Save me the lecture,” Maddy said with a grin. Then she reached up to slap my hand. “Nice one putting the form tutor in her deserving place, by the way.”















“She could have been expelled!” Gabby said in a scandalised voice.















“And you’re about to be expelled from this house,” Maddy said, laughing.











“Ex – Expelliarmus!” I said to stop them both. It worked. They stared at me like I had a screw loose.































“Don’t worry, Eve,” Maddy said, patting my arm. “Gabby knows some specialist people who can help you.”



































I choked on my laughter and hit her in the face with a cushion. She squealed and threw one back – but it missed and hit Gabby. Soon we were dancing around the coffee table, ducking from my threaded pillows and diving for our lives. The neighbours knocked again. We all collapsed, giggling, on the sofa.


























Then Rupert Grint made a comment in Turkish – and that was the end for us. We clutched our sides in desperation, trying not to make too much noise again.











“I’m going to die!” I said – and Maddy put a hand on my mouth to stop my laughter – which ended in me chuckling into her fingers.












































“Eww!” Maddy said. “Eww, Eww, Eww, Eve! How could you!” she let out a shocked breath.















“You gave me no choice,” I said, but I knew I had achieved my aim. Mission-cheer-up-best-friend was successfully in orbit.


























































“I’m sorry, but that is really unhygienic,” Gabby said, siding with Maddy. Well that wasn’t fair.































I put my hands on my hips.



































“Ooh, scary,” my friends said.



























































































“Right, that’s it,” I pointed to the door. “Out, the both of you.” My jaw was set and firm.








“Aw, but I brought chocolate,” Gabby said temptingly. “Crunchie and kitkat and dairy milk and -”
































She already had me.

























“Alright, you can stay,” I said grudgingly. “What about you, Maddy? What’s your defence?”





“Guess it’s goodbye DVDs,” she said smoothly, starting to gather them up.















I grabbed her arm. “I don’t think so,” I said threateningly. “Harry Potter stays.”








“Re-sult!” They both said, cheering wildly.



















“I said turn the bloomin’ noise down!”

























We looked at each other, genuinely freaked. Then we burst out laughing.











“Grumbling old man,” Maddy said, a wicked glint in her eye. “We’ll soon sort him out.”






Uh-oh.
































And boy did we sort him out. Maddy played her favourite song on her phone – over and over – with the increased volume of one hundred percent. It didn’t matter how many times the man yelled, she refused to give in to his demands. It was cool, crazy, good old-fashioned girl power.



























We were the three musketeers in the modern world – standing up in the face of the enemy; united, strong, warriors. We were…























“That’s it, I’m calling Miss Forrest!”



















Shit shit shit.

































“No, don’t do that!” Maddy said, pressing her face to the wall. “We’ll be quiet, I promise.”














That was when I happened to glance up at the time.


















“We should go to bed, anyway,” I said, deflated. “The sleeping bags are in the airing cupboard.”





































































We walked slowly to get our substitute beds, Bond-style; finally defeated. The sleeping bags were spread all over the living room, like cute little rugs.

















We soon settled down in the darkness, and pretended to be asleep when Mum’s key turned and she sauntered in, humming a happy tune under her breath.


















She called goodnight to us and went to her room. It looked as though she had had a good time. I wasn’t sure how I felt about that.





















I thought I was the last person awake at 3am, but I soon heard familiar breathing in the background. Well, it wasn’t Gabby. She was curled up with her calculator. Literally.







“Maddy?” I whispered, trying to see into the dark. Maybe I should have eaten more carrots.





“Yeah?”






























“You still awake?”



























“Obviously, Eve, if I’m talking to you!” she said, and I heard her turn her head towards me. “I can’t sleep,” she added quietly.





























































“Me neither,” I said. I paused. “Are you still thinking about him?”











“Yeah,” she said.



























I reached out and put an arm around my best friend. She felt cold to touch.











“You’ll get over him,” I said.





























“The thing is, Eve – I don’t want to,” she said, and she sounded like she was crying now. “I miss him. I know it’s only been a few days and we’re over but it hurts and I can’t stop thinking about him.”






























I pressed a little square of chocolate in her hand. “Here,” I said. “It heals all!”









Maddy took the edible token, and snuggled down to sleep. I stared into the blackness, and wished I could stop thinking about him too.

The audition date was creeping closer, so, regardless of the breakup, we had to practise harder than ever. Maddy’s garage remained a base for us, and we increased rehearsal time to everyday after school rather than a few times every week. It was exhausting, but worth it.











Everything seemed to be coming together – our vocals blended together in just the right eerie way for the song, and the music in the background was haunting but loud. It was an odd fusion; but definitely appropriate given the circumstances. My once positively romantic song had gone to the other extreme, but it still fit with the theme.
















To be honest, I was surprised Frankie wasn’t back together with Maddy by now. What she wanted, she got – and we were all spending too much time together nowadays, so they had plenty of opportunity.


























But no, they simply stayed away from each other. When one had to speak directly to the other, it was in this cold, distant way, and neither made eye contact. Jason, Gabby and I were sick of the atmosphere. It was the only thing ruining the performance – the lack of chemistry. Before that was our strongest factor – better than the drums or the guitar or the singing. We were a band – but at this moment in time, more like funeral DJs. That was how it sounded to me, anyway. No one expressively said anything about the chilly air, but it was there, and we all felt it.


























We used to have such a laugh together. Everything had turned sour, and all because my best friend was in love and Frankie was an idiot.






















I was staying away from him, too. He was bad news and my dream meant everything and more to me. Not that he didn’t try and talk to me. But the band meant more than that.




































“So, not talking, huh?” Frankie said one day, when we happened to be alone together.







I gave him a quick smile. “I’m busy,” I said, holding up the lyrics sheet.












“Yeah right,” he leaned back in his chair, strumming on his guitar. “I get it. You’re on Maddy’s side.”





























































“There are no sides,” I said fiercely. “We’re a band, OK? And that’s how we’ll appear at the audition. All I know is you broke my best friend’s heart. So what do you want me to do, Frankie? Give you hugs and kisses?”

























There was a silence.






























“No,” he said, the corners of his mouth pulling up. “You know, I love it when you’re mean to me.”


































I made a frustrated sound. What part of piss off didn’t he understand?




















Instead of committing a murder, I started singing the lines softly to myself, hoping the others would get back from the shops soon, with emergency food supplies. I was hungry enough to eat anything.



























Frankie didn’t give up, though. So while he chattered on about nonsense nobody was listening to – the nobody being me, the only person in the room – I just kept on singing; practising. He had a whole conversation with me without a single reply back. I just about held in my giggle, but it was hard. He wouldn’t stop talking and my insides were turning to snow.





“Look, can you shut up, please?” I was forced into saying eventually. “Some people have an audition.”
































































































“OK,” he said. A second passed. “Hey, Eve, what d’you think about this?”












He played a string on his guitar to back up my vocals, which was kind of ironic because I was only a backing vocalist myself.

























Unfortunately, he was very good. Fortunately, so was my poker face.



















“It’s alright,” I said, hiding my smile. “I suppose. You could work on your stage presence, though.”







































“Maybe I could if I had an audience that was actually interested,” he muttered darkly.







“Oh, I am interested,” I said. “About the band.”





















“But not its members,” he said, giving me a long, green-eyed gaze.












“That’s not true,” I said. “I’m very interested in my band members. Maddy, Jason, Gabby – they're interesting enough. It’s just you. You’re so boring.”


























Frankie laughed, and so did I.
































It had been a while since I had been able to relax. Everything had been so serious lately…in relationships and band practice. But in his presence, despite what I said, I felt warm for the first time in ages.



























Slight panic fluttered in my chest. I knew I was getting dangerously close to what I had been denying for a long while now. And I knew I had to fight the feeling. The melting and the smiles and the laughter. But I couldn’t help it. Automatically, I felt this unfamiliar, crackling feeling whenever I was around him. I never used to believe in all that electricity stuff…but lately, passion seemed to be defying the laws of physics and turning my world upside down.






“See,” Frankie said. “Talking does wonders for the band.”
























I shrugged, and hoped he was wrong.





















But I wasn’t sure talking did wonders for the band, actually. For me maybe. But talking always led to more. Look at my Mum and Gary. That had just been friends…work colleges.





And now she was on a date every other weekend.























She danced around the house without a care in the world – light-hearted and glowing like a bride or a soon-to-be-mother. Thinking about that, I shuddered. Mum wasn’t about to have babies, was she?




























The other day, I even broke her favourite vase when I was leaping around the room after watching Billy Elliot, but she just laughed and said that old thing had been begging to be broken for ages. Bizarre.



























You see what love did to you? It messed you up big time. Look at Frankie…Maddy…Mum and Gary…everyone. We were better off staying well away from it, even if it meant the decline of the human race.

























The doors burst open, and Maddy, Gabby and Jason walked in, laden with plastic bags. Self-consciously, I smoothed down a few wild curls, and shifted a little away from Frankie. I hadn’t even realized I’d been standing so close. Weird.


















But hang on a sec, why was I even feeling guilty? I had done nothing wrong. So what if I was being friendly? Would Maddy see my being less than cold with her ex-boyfriend as a betrayal? Was talking to a friend really all that wrong? And could you help how you felt, if you really tried?


































Well, I would have to. For the sake of my best friend and the band.






































Love was messy, and I wasn’t falling into the trap of it. I had never been in love, and so far, it was working out well for me.

























“Sorry about leaving you here,” Maddy whispered to me as everyone inspected the bags. “But someone had to guard our stuff, and I don’t trust him.”



























“Be fair, Mads,” I said. “He’s not about to make off with your stuff.”










“You could’ve fooled me,” she said, and I remembered that to her, Frankie was a thief.









A liar, a loser.






































I could already feel my brain disagreeing. He had let Maddy down, but it didn’t mean he was all bad, did it? And, thinking about it, he couldn’t help not loving her, could he? I knew she could be a bit full-on, and maybe she had pushed him too far, and he had decided it wasn’t worth it. I still didn’t know what had gone on between them that night, and if Maddy wouldn’t tell me, then I’d have to ask Frankie. That is, when I could build up the nerve.






I supposed I should have asked him when we were alone, but there would be other opportunities. My heart rate sped up at the thought. I wasn’t really daring enough to ask him such a personal question, was I?






















A few months ago, I’d have said no. But everything was different now, and so was I. I didn’t know if it was for the better, but I wasn’t the shy little shadow I used to be. Maybe I was starting to figure out who I really was.






















“I made the others get your favourite,” Maddy said with a grin, offloading a packet of blueberry muffins on me. I thought about the last time I had had them, and how things had been then. Not the same, anyway.





























It was a while since we had been that close. Since Frankie, she had been far more distant, more careful about talking about her feelings. I would say reserved, but I don’t think that word could ever apply to someone like Maddy. It was just, I think she was scared of getting hurt again, and that badly affected us too.




















“Thanks,” I said, biting into the biggest one. “Does anyone else want a muffin? I don’t think even I can swallow all eight.”























“Yeah, toss me one,” Frankie said from across the room. Maddy stiffened as I threw him one. It was the smallest muffin, but still. What was I supposed to say? No, I’m sorry, you can’t have one? It wasn’t fair for her to put me in such an awkward position.
















“Let’s go again,” Gabby said eagerly once we had finished up the crumbs. “C’mon, guys – stand up and start singing! Or playing an instrument,” she amended afterwards.








“Yeah, yeah, in a sec,” Jason said, lying back in his chair with a groan. “I definitely ate too much.”
































“Then it serves you right, then, doesn’t it fatty?” I said, and everyone laughed – but after that, we all got to it and started practising again. And again. And again and again until my head was ready to explode.




























“Is – all - this – really – necessary?” I said. “I think I’m all sung out, seriously. Who knew singing was a form of exercise?” I lay on the piano in the corner, even when Maddy poked me and told me to get my lazy arse up. But I wasn’t slacking. Just taking a break.









“Having fun?” said a low, musical voice in my ear.




















Bloody hell, just go away.
























I opened one eye warily. “What do you want?”



















“Nice,” he said with a smile. “Very friendly. I was just seeing if you were still alive, actually.”






























































“Well, I am,” I said huffily. “No, on second thoughts, Frankie, tell them I’m dead.”








Frankie laughed. “We’ve all got to do the time, Eve.”


















“Yeah, yeah, spare me the lecture,” I said, sitting up unsteadily. “Seriously, can we just go home now? I feel like a prisoner.”
















































































































































“Sorry, but we’re not done yet,” he pulled me up. “C’mon, we’ll just have a few more rehearsals, then we’ll be done, I promise.”





















Damn his persuasive words. I was soon on my feet and (backing) singing again. Gosh, so this was how supporting actresses felt. What a sucky life. All this practice, and you weren’t even the star. Or maybe this was how script writers felt when the actors got all the credit. Yeah, probably.

































“You know, you actually sing better than Maddy,” Jason said almost thoughtfully as I helped him shove his drums into the corner. “Not that she can’t sing. It’s just, don’t you feel a bit wasted?”



































“Jase, you’ve forgotten one big part of business,” I said. “The prettiest girl is always the star. That’s how the world works.”


























“Who says she’s the prettiest?” he said, shoving his drumsticks into a drawer.










Er, the mirror, mate.
































“It’s pretty obvious – get the pun?” I said, grinning.











































Jason shook his head at my bad joke. “I guess,” he said. “But you might want to think about taking a more forward role.” He whistled and walked out of the garage, leaving me alone.






And freaking out.
































I didn’t want to have a ‘more forward role’. I didn’t want to be a star. I just wanted to write music, and have people listen.



























But for some reason, I felt little tears prick the back of my eyes. It wouldn’t have mattered even if I was better than Maddy. I was useless on the stage. Ugly.
















That was the way it had to stay.
































Because when you were second best, it hurt to be told you could have been a somebody, if only you’d had the right hair and the perfect smile and the confidence to pull it off.








It hurt to know you could have had everything you’d ever wanted.

The more Mum saw Gary, the more I became interested in the identity of my Dad.











Over the years, she had been strangely elusive on the subject. I thought it was because she was too upset to talk about it. It had never occurred to be that she was too ashamed.










When I woke up on Saturday morning, she was dancing to an old Abba tune – Waterloo – in the living room. I grinned and snuck up behind her.





















“Nice singing,” I said as she jumped. “You should go on X Factor.”
















Mum patted down her hair. “Very funny,” she said in a snarky voice.











“Seriously, though,” I said, still grinning, “what possessed you?”























Mum’s normally pale white cheeks flushed pink. “I just felt like a bit of ’70s music,” she said. “I’m sick of the rap of your generation.”




















“Mum, that is such a prejudiced lie!” I said, astounded. “Why have a kid if you hate young people so much?”




































































Mum ruffled my dark curls, ruining my hairstyle. “I didn’t mean you, silly,” she said. “I know you like your men on guitar.”

























It was my turn to go a deep, burning red. Mum, of course, was talking about my hero Ed Sheeran…but what if what she had said was right? Did I really like Frankie, or was I just flattered a guy paid me attention for once instead of Maddy?





















And even he, I reflected on grimly, had dated my best friend.



















But he liked you first, whispered a voice in my ear. He didn’t notice Maddy until she started flirting with him.





























It made me wonder if I’d have stood a chance with Frankie if she hadn’t got there first. Or maybe if I’d been a bit braver, had a bit more experience, I would have been able to be girlfriend material. Instead I was stuck being boring and sensible, accepting defeat yet again.





Did I really want Maddy’s castoff, anyway?





















And did Frankie even like me at all?

























Worse, had he ever really like me? Had the whole thing been a huge, embarrassing wind-up?





Yes, that had to be it. There was no other reason a boy like Frankie would look twice at a girl like me. Especially not with Maddy around. And even they didn’t work out. What did that say about my chances with any boy, let alone the cool and popular kind?














“Why do you even want to date Gary?” I said to Mum later.

















“Oh, darling,” Mum said. “There are some things you don’t understand.”










I hated that she thought that. Because it turned out I knew a whole lot more than she thought – a whole lot of stuff I didn’t even want to think about. It was like a flood of hormones hitting me every day, and she thought I didn’t know about the complications of love?









“Maybe I would if you talked to me,” I said in a patient voice.





















“Gary is the first man in years who’s ever really got me,” she said, and she wasn’t my mother in this moment: she could have been seventeen, telling me about her first love. “He’s tall, dark and handsome – and no stranger. We’re just getting to know each other.”









“Have you kissed?” I said without thinking.



















































































Mum’s eyes widened. “And why would I tell that to my barely teenage daughter?” she said, raising her eyebrows.





































I pulled her to the sofa. “Come on, Mum,” I said. “Give me the goss.”















Mum swatted me, and I swatted her back.





















“I don’t think so, cheeky,” she said, but she flushed pink again.












“Mum, that’s disgusting!” I said, burying my head in the sofa. “Disgusting.” I groaned and tried to burn the picture from my mind. Anything else I could handle…bunny boiling…double-jointed circus acts…the birth of a baby (but not Mum’s baby)…a drunken teenager vomiting over and over again…anything else but my own mother locking lips with a sleazy work college.



































“He’s not sleazy!” Mum said when I told her this. “Honestly, Eve, he’s really nice. You’ll like him, I promise.”






























But I was already backing away. “What do you mean, ‘I’ll like him’?” I said, a horrible thought entering my mind. “I’m not meeting him, Mum, and you can’t make me!”








“Darling, it’s still early days,” she said – but it was too late, I had already slammed the door and gone back to my bedroom.




























I lay staring up at the ceiling, counting the holes in the plaster. I was never going to meet that sleazy weirdo with his tongue down my mum’s throat. But the way she was talking…it sounded as though it was already too late for her, too. She was in the first blossoms of love, and it wouldn’t matter about me soon.























Already, I came second best to yet another person in my life. But this one felt more personal somehow…because Mum had made a choice, and she was staying with Gary. She wanted me to meet him…to like him…she wanted him to be my Dad, didn’t she?












No way. That creep would never be my father. I’d rather have a loser than a fake.










It seemed like nobody wanted me anymore. Things were changing in my life…Maddy was different, Frankie was flirty, Jason was…actually, Jason believed in me. He thought I should be lead singer. He liked my songs. He thought I was pretty, maybe. But if only it was simple enough that I could just click my fingers and like him. Not that he liked me…but he was being very weird these days. And I’d already assumed Gabby was more his cup of tea. Maybe Mum was right, and there were several things about love I just didn’t understand.











Everything was so tangled, so confusing. And I had been raised to never trust men.








So why was Mum giving her heart to Gary?









































And for goodness sake, what had happened to girl power?














It seemed like everything went out of the window when you found the right person.







But was Frankie the ‘right person’?

























No, I decided. Cool, popular, good-looking boys and me just didn’t mix. He was way out of my league, and I could never stamp on Maddy’s heart the way he once had.









So why couldn’t he leave me alone? Did he think it was funny to mess with my dreams; my insides? Did he think it was funny to play two friends against each other?

















I felt anger instead of confusion at these thoughts. Why did everyone always act like I didn’t have feelings, too? Was I just some stupid nobody everyone could treat like shit?














I kicked my bedside table, so it smashed to the floor. Pens…notepads…old songs…clothes; all spilled all over the floor, a bedroom of destruction.

















Good. Good. None of that stuff mattered anyway. I didn’t even know who I was. Not really. Most people knew who both their parents were, didn’t they? Most people knew their biological Dad, didn’t they?

























I wiped the tears furiously from my eyes. Why was a man I didn’t even know eating me up inside? Why was I letting him? What did I do to make him hate me so much he left me; an innocent baby? A daughter? The girl who was genetically his?






















‘Blood is thicker than water’. What bullshit.






















As far as I could see, blood was about as thick as paper.















Paper. I thought of the aeroplane again and felt another tug at my heart. There were so many things in my life that could never be. And there wasn’t much I could do about any of it.








I stared at the knocked over table in a new way. Did I really do that?


















I just didn’t do things like that. That wasn’t the person I knew.






























Then I remembered the fury I had felt the day I swore at my form tutor, the confusion, the anger, the fear. Maybe I did a whole lot of stuff I didn’t want to admit.













Mum came into my room at lunch time, carrying a tray; a plate of chips and a cup of lemonade.
































Then she saw the mess.



























“Why didn’t you pick it up?” she said, dumping the tray. When I didn’t reply, she started doing it herself, still humming the ‘Waterloo’ song.



















When she was done, she sat on the end of my bed. I looked at the flower pattern on my duvet and didn’t say anything.



























“I thought you were OK about Gary and me?” she said.
















I shrugged my shoulders. There was a loose stitching on my quilt, and I was trying to get it free.




























“Darling,” Mum put an arm around my shoulders. I tensed up. “You know that Gary isn’t nearly as cool as you, don’t you?”































I started laughing, unable to help myself. Mum-jokes were the best in times of need. Beat the comedians every time.

























“And you also know he’ll never replace you, don’t you?” Mum said.














Beep, beep.


























I scanned the phone, sighing. It was, of course, Maddy.

















Want to go to the cinema? I’m sooo bored and even my little brother’s at his friend’s house! Oh, and we have band practice tomorrow, so don’t forget! I don’t want to face that loser Frankie on my own. Btw, did you know curly-haired people get on better with pets?







I looked at the message for a second, and felt a little empty. I had almost forgotten that was how some people’s lives went. So simple and blissful; she even had a sibling. And to think, she was complaining about her ex-boyfriend while I was sat on my bed having a conversation I really didn’t want to have.


























I switched off my phone. Maddy and her dramas could wait.



















“Yeah, yeah,” I said. “I get it. I’m not alone, I’m not ditched, and Gary isn’t my Dad.”






It was Mum’s turn to laugh. “My weird, weird, child,” she said, ruffling my curls again. “You’ve always been a step ahead of the parents, haven’t you?”













“No, you’re just predictable,” I said, and we both laughed this time.













But there was something I had to say. Something that wasn’t quite so funny. No, this was far more unfamiliar.





































In the end I just decided to come straight out with it.






















“Mum…” I said. “Who’s my Dad?”























She reacted as I’d thought; embarrassed, awkward, not meeting my eye. So maybe there was more to my so-called Dad than she had always said.






























































“Why can’t you just tell me?” I said. “He’s not dead, he’s not in prison – so who is he?”






Mum shook her head silently, refusing to meet my gaze. “I can’t tell you,” she said.









“What?” I stared at her.



























What did she mean she couldn’t tell me? She had a mouth, didn’t she? And a brain, and a memory?


























Had she forgotten my Dad? That wasn’t possible, surely?




















She wasn’t even forty. So what was her excuse?



















“Mum, I’m serious,” I said in a hard voice. “Who is my Dad?”














“You misunderstand me,” Mum said quietly. “You don’t get it. I can’t tell you who your Dad is…because I don’t know myself.”

My mother was a slut.



























What other explanation was there? She had admitted it. She didn’t know who my Dad was. Nobody did.

























So, somewhere in the world, I had a father who didn’t even know I existed.










And I might as well not have a mother. She was a liar. Irresponsible. And I could no longer trust her.































On Sunday I stayed in my room, even though I had band practice. Who cared about some stupid, pointless audition when half the reason for my birth didn’t know who I was?







Maybe if I had been born into a world where my parents were together, or even friends, things would have been different.























My whole life, my mother had left me with the assumption my Dad had left me. Didn’t want me.





































But that wasn’t the truth. She didn’t give him a chance to love me, because she probably got drunk and had sex and ended up stuck with me.



















Did she have any idea how it felt to know your own Dad had abandoned you? Rejected you? And then to find out it was all a lie?























I hated her. Couldn’t forgive her. She had twisted the story of my whole life, made me think she was a victim. I hadn’t talked about my Dad so she wouldn’t get upset; oh, the irony. When really it was all her fault I didn’t know him.




















Hot, burning hatred pulsed through my veins. I didn’t want to live with this woman. She lied to me – she let me think – she let me think -




















I curled up in my duvet, face squashed into the pillow. Everyone I had ever known had let me down. And now Mum had joined that list. Worse, she had become the enemy.







It felt as though she had stuck pins in my heart. It couldn’t have hurt any less.










I couldn’t even cry. Not for the Dad who’d never had the chance to get to know me.







Not for the woman who had spun my existence into a lie.













Not for Maddy and Frankie’s breakup.




















Not for the fact it was always girls who weren’t me who got what they always wanted.








And for the only boy I had ever really connected with.

















Nothing would come. Past the anger, the fear, the sinking despair…I just felt like this empty hole. And nothing mattered anymore. I didn’t matter. I was the accidental baby; the mistake. I was the girl whose own Dad didn’t know she existed.























I sat up, hair all over my face. I may have no reason for being in this world right now, but I was damned if I was going to let it ruin me.






















I stepped out of my bed, put my feet onto the scratchy carpet. Then I tiptoed to my dresser and pulled out a pink fluffy jumper and some light blue jeans. I dressed quickly; without even looking at myself, and moved on to my hair. This I brushed so fiercely it seemed to crackle with strength.
























It seemed like, looking at my curls, Anna Forrest was the only proper ancestor I had ever had. And even she hadn’t had the chance to get to know me. Because she had died.










I looked hard at the misty-eyed girl in the mirror; the girl with the tilted grey eyes and the shadows and the red lips. I wondered where I had come from.














Was I just somebody who was never meant to be?























Was this why, my whole life, I had never been able to be me?












No wonder I was such a freak, I thought viciously.















My mum wasn’t even that old. Surely they had condoms in her days of drunken sex?








It wasn’t like before the 1960s. She had no excuse.



















During this time, I sincerely wished I had never been born. Wished my mother hadn’t made love to a stranger and produced me. Except, you couldn’t really call it love, could you?









I was such a pathetic excuse for being born you couldn’t even call it lust. If you were drunk, surely you’d do it with anybody.























I shuddered, and looked away from the mirror. This whole thing…it wasn’t right.














Where are you? Maddy wrote in her latest text. We’ve already started. Seriously, I don’t want to be here on my own…Jason and Gabby aren’t much back-up, with their nicey nicey ways. Please get your butt here, Eve!



























Unbelievable.
























She was unbelievable.






























I bit my lip, and tried to be fair. It wasn’t Maddy’s fault I wasn’t meant to be born. It wasn’t her fault the only thing she had to worry about was her ex-boyfriend. It wasn’t her fault my world had crumbled underneath me in one sentence. Not her fault. Not my fault. So whose?






Mum’s? The stranger’s?




























My life meant nothing, I realized abruptly. I wasn’t planned. Just created.












It was eerie to think if my Mum hadn’t been young, dumb and drunk, I wouldn’t have been here today. Eerie to think my whole purpose in life was blighted by this revelation. Just this one, tiny mistake that had shaped my future.




















There was no going back from this. It didn’t matter if I ever forgave her. Nothing would ever be the same again.





























A sob rose in my throat, but I choked it back. What would tears do? Nothing. Unless they could wash away my entire being. Wash away Mum’s words.















Sometimes you really should be careful what you wish for.

















Because secretly, I had just wanted my Dad to be a somebody. To know he was out there somewhere, and he might someday be back…but now – now he was a blank man who had had too much sperm.


























I shuddered again. I hated thinking about this stuff, but now a whole bunch of questions were swimming around in my brain. It was too late. Some part of me had been taken away.






I ran a hand through my hair. I couldn’t stay in here forever. Mum wouldn’t let me. Only – I didn’t want to talk to her. Not now, not ever.
























At one thirty in the afternoon, there came a timid knock at the door. I ignored it. Did she think DVDs and chocolate bribes would work this time around?
















Because I had news for her. I wasn’t five anymore, and this wasn’t about a pink bike I never got. Thinking about that, Maddy got that bike for her sixth birthday. I almost wanted to laugh at myself, but it was too pathetic. She let me ride it too, but it just never felt the same.




“Darling, I know you don’t want to speak to me…but you have a visitor.”

















I looked up from my pacing. Who? Maddy, come to drag me to band practice? Gabby, checking if I was alright?


























“Who is it?” I said in a flat voice. I didn’t want to have to speak to anyone right now. To have to explain why I was such a disaster.























“That boy from your school…Frankie? Used to go out with your friend Maddy?”










Oh shit. No way. He was not coming here to complicate things further.











What did he think he was doing, barging round my house, demanding to see me? Did he really care that much about one stupid band rehearsal? They’d be other times. Couldn’t my friends just go away and leave me alone?



















“Should I let him in?” Mum said, hesitating.






















What was I supposed to say? No, piss off?























I wish, I thought bitterly.

























“Whatever.”













































The door opened.

































I patted down a lock of twisty hair, sat down on the edge of my bed. Frankie sauntered in like he didn’t have a care in the world. As he sat down, I started re-reading my lyrics for the audition piece…but that didn’t seem to matter, either. I knew I should be sad my dream meant jack to me, but I didn’t care. ‘Floating Angels’…what a joke. There was no one in my life who truly loved me. My mother was simply lumbered with me because she was the one who had had to be pregnant…and my friends just wanted me for my songs and my crappy backing vocals.























But then I thought about what Jason had said, of my best friend Maddy, of Gabby; sweet Gabby. I thought of Frankie, who had come here to see if I was alright. Could friendship count as love, maybe?


































Maybe.































“Hi,” I said morosely. “What are you doing here?”





























































“Seeing why you skipped the prison sentence,” he said, grinning. “You’ve never skipped a practice before.”
























































































































“Well, there’s a first time for everything,” I said, feeling my face automatically relax into a smile for the first time in ages. It was almost like I was somebody, just for a second, because Frankie accepted me. Frankie cared.






















“Sure,” he said. “So what’s the real reason you fleeced us?”














“I didn’t fleece anyone,” I said. “I – I’ve got a cold.” I sniffed to make it extra authentic.







“Right,” he said.































“If you just came here to – to not believe me, you might as well just go,” I said.









“What is it?” he said. “No one’s died, have they?”



















“Something like that,” I said awkwardly. “Look, I don’t want to talk about it.”











































































































Frankie ignored the last part. “What do you mean, something like that?” he said. “I mean, don’t take this the wrong way, Eve, but…either some one’s dead or they’re not.”








I struggled to stifle my giggles, because this was so not funny and I knew it. “It’s about my Dad,” I said, feeling a little like a traitor. Why was Frankie the first person I told?









I knew why. Because he was here. Unlike my so-called best friend. The only text she had sent me was all about her as usual. She didn’t care about me…just like Mum.




























I had been there for Maddy, hadn’t I? So why couldn’t she, for once, just be there for me?







“I thought you didn’t really know your Dad,” he said, frowning. “What is it? Has he turned up or something?”





























I wished.






























“No,” I said. There was a pause. “All this time, I thought he left us. But my Mum…my Mum told me she er – she –” I closed my eyes. “She never really knew him. It was a one night stand.”













































Frankie sucked in a breath. Yes, it was bad. And no, I wasn’t overreacting, like Mum had been pretending. Maybe she just wished it wasn’t a big deal, the way I wished it wasn’t true.




“That’s not cool,” he said, and even I, in my current state, had to laugh.












“No,” I said. “It’s really not.”

























“Well, look on the bright side,” Frankie said. “At least on Father’s Day, you don’t have to get a present. And no scary Dad to beat up potential boyfriends.”




































“That’s the bright side?” I said. “Yeah right.”































“I know what it’s like to hate parents,” he said. “I can’t stand mine.”






















“Why not?” I said curiously; Frankie had never seemed less than happy to me. Well, except for when he and Maddy split. I wondered what they had both said to make him look so distant…cold. He always seemed so warm. That was how I felt anyway. Like all the little icicles were melting in my chest, and replaced by something I didn’t quite understand. Something I had never felt before. All I knew was it felt like I was on fire, like electricity was burning through me. I was almost sure that if our hands touched, I would be electrocuted.





It was weird. I had never been remotely interested in anyone. Not romantically. And suddenly this…I had no experience, no awareness of what to do. It scared me.
















“I don’t know,” he said. “They just get on my nerves.”

































“Yeah,” I said. “I can understand that.”























Then, without warning, he leaned forwards and kissed me. I could feel my lips moving with his; sweet and tender and soft. I didn’t think about anything in that moment. It was just Frankie and me; wrapped in this strange new bubble. It was like my heart had grown…like I had grown. Because in those seconds, I couldn’t fight it anymore. It felt like I belonged, like we were meant to be.




























My first kiss.

I pulled away, heart beating hard enough that it hurt. That…should not have just happened.









We stared at each other for a few seconds, the way people do in movies, before we looked away. I was hyper-aware of how close we were sitting on my bed; of the fact we had just kissed. Like, actually kissed. I couldn’t get my head around it. It was such a new experience I didn’t have anything to compare it to. But I knew it felt good…right. Only now my brain was connected again, I knew it could never be.




















Why did my first, sweetest kiss have to be with my best friend’s ex?













And why did it have to be like everything I’d ever dreamed of and more?











This was better than the movies. Better than any fantasy. So why did it have to make my insides squirm with guilt?

























I knew the rules, of course. And I had just crossed a line.


















I stood up roughly, without thinking. “You have to go,” I said, but I didn’t look at him. Instead I looked towards the little window in the corner, where an old lady was crossing the street. She had three shopping bags and a 1950s perm.
























Frankie ran a hand through his own hair; brown with streaks of blond, and stood up too.









There was a short silence in which we both looked at the carpet. Then he pulled open my bedroom door and left.































As soon as I was sure he was gone, I put my head in my hands. How could something so wrong have felt so right? Was I really a traitor; a liar; a cheat? Had I really just kissed a boy?












I couldn’t be sure.










































I glanced at the girl in the mirror; her cheeks flushed with a new glow; lips plump and red. I didn’t even look like me anymore. Didn’t feel like me.

























How could a few seconds change everything?





















I sat back down on my bed. It was still warm where Maddy’s ex boyfriend had sat, talking to me about the Dad who didn’t know me. Had I really told him all that, too? It had seemed too dark, too shameful, too awful to tell anyone – and yet I had told Frankie.














There was something warm about his presence; comforting. Like when he spoke, you felt like you could tell him anything. Because he listened.




















He felt more like a best friend in that moment. But you didn’t kiss your friends, did you?







No, you really didn’t, I told myself grimly.




















Maybe it was in the heat of the moment. Maybe it was because we had both shared the things we hated about our lives and…I don’t know, had got caught up. It only took a second to kiss someone; and a heartbeat to regret it. Or did I?



























And did he?

































You told him to go, a little voice in my head said. You were the one who pushed him away.








I was kind of glad about that, in a funny way. Frankie was the boy I could never have – the boy who stalked my dreams. Kissing him for real was hard for me to get my head around. If it wasn’t for my still burning heart, I’d have sworn it never happened.













What if I ruined Maddy’s chances of a reconciliation with Frankie?














And worse, what if she found out I had kissed him?



































Technically, I had done nothing wrong. I hadn’t even initiated the kiss. It was like my lips had been moving with a force of their own; a force far greater, more scary than I was used to. It was warm, though, that was one thing I knew. Magical. Like bursting into the sky in a mirage of dizzying colours.
























It was perfect.






























I wondered if he had kissed Maddy like that before. And if he had felt the same. It wasn’t like I’d given him a chance to talk. I had told him to leave; get out.
















I was so confused.


































I lay on my duvet and studied the blue walls. I thought about Frankie; the kiss, and couldn’t stop a tiny, impossible smile for the boy who had once chucked aeroplanes at my head.








Maybe sometimes your past really does catch up with you.

















I pulled out my phone, checking my messages. Gabby…Jason…Gabby again…four missed calls and two texts from Maddy…
































Where are you? The first one read. Seriously, Eve, band practice sucks without you. I even brought muffins for crying out loud!



























I laughed, and then read the other one. My laughter died in my throat.




















Eve, can you please come now…Frankie and me had a huge argument, and he walked out again. Things are really awkward. Where are you? Maddyx.






















No way.








































The only reason he had kissed me was because he had had another explosive row with Maddy. And this was the perfect revenge…why not make a pass at his ex-girlfriend’s inexperienced, mixed-up best friend?





























And he had picked the best moment to do it. I had just found out my Dad didn’t know who I was. That my Mum had lied to me. He probably thought he had struck gold.




























I thought I could trust him. And a pathetic part of me had thought he liked me, just for a few minutes.









































The kiss had felt like a promise. But that, too, was broken; marred by the truth.






















Everything was. And now Maddy was going to hate me.






















Was that his plan, to boast to her? Had he really used me like everyone else?


























I stayed looking at the dark blue walls, and wondered how I would ever face my best friend after this. Or Frankie Jones.





























How could I be in the band, now?




























The audition date was so close, like a reckoning. We hardly had any time left…






















And I was going to mess it all up, like I’d predicted. It was like everything in my life had fallen flat; everything together.

































And my first kiss had been…a lie. A sham.





















Ruined.
*


On Monday morning, I slipped into school early. Maddy always got in just before the bell went, so I knew I was safe.




























Nobody was here but a few cleaners. The corridors were empty; deserted. It felt odd, like going to a theatre performance and being the only audience member.















And there was someone else I would have to face today. My form tutor.












What had I turned into? A lying, bitchy, bad best friend?





















I couldn’t even find the girl I knew anymore. What had happened to me? I used to be sweet and kind and passionate about music…only now…now I was completely lost. All my friends were going to hate me when they found out. I already did. Because Frankie may have kept the truth from me; manipulated me, but I didn’t have to go along with it. I didn’t have to kiss him back like I really meant it.






























I had given too much of myself away to Frankie Jones. That was the problem.













I didn’t really share my feelings, my thoughts and dreams and memories, with any of the people I loved. I just clammed up. Well, until yesterday, and where had that got me?








It had got me here. Sitting on a brick wall outside the reception area, alone.












As soon as students started arriving in numbers, I stole away to the library. Hopefully Jason and Gabby wouldn’t come in, but I was safe from Maddy and Frankie. For now at least.








I fingered the books on the shelves; Emma by Jane Austen – a book about tangled love triangles and a charming, meddling young woman; Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë…a story of tortured love…and Jane Eyre by her sister Charlotte, a tale of a plain, poor girl who had fallen for a man she thought she could never have…












I put the books back on the shelves. I knew which ending I was going to have.












Well, at least I’d go down in the history books.





















The bell sounded, loud in my ears. I looked up and saw it placed on the ceiling above me. Just my luck.










































I briefly thought about fleeing the school, but in hindsight, that seemed like a bad idea. I had to face all these people some time, so I didn’t have to make a coward of myself as well as a traitor.

































I thought of how easily I had kissed Frankie; how simple and sweet it was, how it had made me feel. And I thought that maybe Mum wasn’t completely to blame after all.











What if a boy had swept her off her feet, too? Had made her promises that had turned out to be nothing…





































Or maybe I was reading too much into things, hoping that somewhere along the line, it hadn’t just been about drunken passion. I was kidding myself. My Mum had been young and pissed, and she probably didn’t even remember who my Dad looked like. She probably didn’t even have a name.






























Or a reason.


































I was everybody’s big mistake.


























I was the first person to make it to form, even before Gabby and Jason.

















My form tutor was sitting at her desk, tapping at a computer. An overwhelming sense of shame curled around my heart. I had been horrible, reckless, awful. In fact, that was all I had been nowadays.
















































I touched my thick bun nervously as I waited for her to look up. When she did, she gave me a long, sweeping glance, eyebrows up in the air again. She was waiting for me to speak.






I twisted my fingers together. “I’m really sorry about swearing and all that,” I said. “I didn’t mean it. I was just…upset about something else.” I peeked up at her and hoped I had sounded sincere.


























My form tutor sighed. “No, Eve,” she said. “I’m sorry. It wasn’t fair of me to ridicule you in front of the class. I understand it must have felt particularly humiliating,” she gave me a thin smile. “Even I have feelings, you know. Would you like to talk about it?”






















I opened my mouth, but just then a crowd of students filed in; jostling and chatting noisily.








“Maybe another time,” she said, and I nodded and scuttled to my seat.











I took a forgotten piece of homework out of my bag and started quietly doing it at the back. I had been neglecting a lot of things these days, and this one was already overdue. I wasn’t sure if it was because of band practice or friends or confusion, but I was definitely falling behind.































I didn’t up as Maddy slid into the seat next to me. I was trying to work out who exactly were the characters in Much Ado About Nothing. Apparently we’d have to write this stupid essay or something later on in the year. I didn’t even know what it was about, but knowing Shakespeare, it was probably more tangled love affairs and betrayals.

























“So what’s your excuse then?”






























“Huh?” I looked up at her, still studying the text.









































































“For not coming to band practice and leaving me dangling,” Maddy said, flicking a piece of blonde hair out of her face. “I can’t believe you didn’t turn up! And you ignored all my messages!”
































































Oh, I’m sorry Maddy, I so wanted to snap, but I just found out my Mum had a one-night stand with my Dad. Oh, and your ex-boyfriend came onto me.



















“I was busy,” I said through gritted teeth, and even she had to notice the change.
















“What do you mean?” she said. “What’s up with you?”

















“Nothing,” I said, pushing the play back into my bag. “Look, there’s the bell…” I gathered my bags and rushed out before she could say another word.



















There was band practice after school today as well. And I didn’t know what I was going to do.



































Because right now, the audition was the least of my worries.

Frankie was waiting for me after school.






















I saw him a mile off, his hand running through his hair, hands in his pockets. I had been in a Science detention, and Maddy and the others had cleared off to band practice ages ago. It was the final rehearsal before the audition, and despite everything else, I couldn’t stop a knot of panic from twisting in my stomach at the thought.















But I knew what I had to tell Frankie. He needed to back off.













“What are you doing?” I said in a low voice, glancing round to check no one else was there.




“It’s not a spy film, Eve,” he said – but, far from sounding amused, he was weary.








“Let’s get one thing straight,” I said. “What happened before…”














“Was a mistake,” he finished, nodding his head. “Yeah, I know. Sorry.”











“For what?” I said, elbowing him. “For coming onto me? Yes, you should be sorry. Very, very sorry.” But I was grinning now. It was okay. We could be friends, and things could carry on as normal. Like we had never kissed.





















It was strange talking to him now, knowing we had, but I was able to put that thought at the back of my mind. What had I been thinking, getting myself involved in any of this? My sole focus should have been the music, and instead I had been selfish. Mean. Well, not anymore. I was going to give this last rehearsal everything I had and more.













We chatted normally as we got on a bus to Maddy’s house, neither of us mentioning our brief moment of madness. Frankie was my friend; an old friend, and that was the way it should be. The way I wanted it to be.


































All I could feel was relief. I hadn’t been ready for any of this. It had just made it worse it being him. And he probably hadn’t wanted revenge on Maddy. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing, but everything was different now. I couldn’t believe I had kissed Frankie! It was too weird. We had been friends for so long. I guessed that sometimes the line between friendship and romance got accidentally blurred. It was just because we were growing up, I decided. In most friendships between the opposite sex, there’s some kind of tension there. It didn’t mean we really liked each other – or had to act on it.
























Maddy and Frankie were made for each other – I just had to make him see it. Well, hopefully he already had if he had agreed it was a mistake.



































And this way, I could make up for being a shit best friend.




















“So d’you think there’s a chance you two can get back together?” I said as we walked down Rose Avenue. “It’s just, you two were so perfect! Stable, you know.”














“Nothing’s as perfect as it seems,” Frankie said, but he paused. “I don’t know. She won’t talk to me, anyway. Everything’s so messed up.” He sighed.






















Messed-up was one word for it. Embarrassing was another – because I was sincerely, completely mortified at the whole incident. It could never happen again. Ever.







“Well I know for a fact Maddy still cares about you,” I said. “And trust me, girls tell each other everything.” Frankie followed my words like I was the copyright on romance. “So give it another chance. If it doesn’t work out, then at least you tried.” As I spoke, I could feel a little bit of guilt chip away. Almost like it had never been there, eating away at my chest.








“I’ll talk to her,” Frankie said with a frown. “But are you sure –”













“Yes,” I said, exasperated. “She wants to get back with you, even if she doesn’t show it.”









“That wasn’t what I – never mind,” Frankie said.
























We had reached the garage. Without speaking, we both went in. The others were already going at full speed without us. I felt a little ashamed. I hadn’t worked on the band like I should have done. Instead I had let myself slip behind in school, had let all this stupid stuff get to me.
































Maddy looked up. “There you are!” she said to me, her eyes sliding over Frankie. “I was beginning to think there were only three of us in the band. That’s all that seems to happen these days.”





































I dumped my bag guiltily on the worktop. “Sorry,” I said, and I meant it. “I just had…other things on my mind.”


































“Saved you a muffin,” Maddy said with a grin, chucking me one.













I caught it. It was blueberry, of course.

























“So what’s the latest?” I said to Gabby, biting into it.



















“Well, the vocals have been a bit off without you,” she said. “And Jason’s drums haven’t sounded the same without the guitar.”





















I shoved her shoulder. “I’ve only missed about one and a half band practices,” I said.








“Still…the audition’s tomorrow,” Gabby said.























































“Don’t remind me,” I pulled a face. “Oh, Gabs, what are we going to do?”












“Sing our little socks off,” she said with a grin.


































































As we practised, I noticed Frankie try to talk to Maddy a number of times, but she brushed him off and kept going over the lines of the song. I sighed. Was everything destined to fall flat on its face?






















































































































And what if I forgot the words to my own song? Humiliation didn’t over that, surely?









I could just imagine myself – mouth open, cheeks red. I could only hope the others would be so good they would overlook my amateur stage presence. And hopefully not listen to closely to the lyrics. Maybe I could get Maddy to sing in German, so they wouldn’t understand. In fact, if she did that they would probably think it was a really tragic love song, and cry and let us through to the next round or something.




















“No, I am not singing in German,” Maddy said firmly.
















Everyone laughed, but I hadn’t been joking. I was actually pretty offended.











“Aw, c’mon Maddy,” I said pleadingly. “You know you want to…”












Maddy pushed me. “Over your dead body,” she said.

















“Or mine,” Frankie said, cornering her again. “Hey, can we talk about something?”








I looked away. This seemed kind of private.






















I drifted over to talk to Jason and Gabby to give them some space, and went over the lyrics again in my head. The song was pretty repetitive, but I could still crumble on stage in front of a panel of judges. It wasn’t the same as performing in front of the school in some crappy concert. This was real. This was our one big chance. Why hadn’t I tried harder?









“Eve, focus,” Gabby said.































“What?” I said, blinking at her. “Oh yeah, sorry. What was the line again?”









Gabby grimaced at me before replying: “Won’t you stay? Or are you broken, broken, broken away…that paragraph. That part’s just yours.”







































“Right,” I said, and started singing the lines to her until she was satisfied I was actually trying. It wasn’t like I wanted us to fail. My head was just banging with tiredness. Over everything.































I dug out my phone just in time to receive a text from Mum. She wanted to know when I would be back and if I was still mad.






















I switched off the phone. She clearly thought I was just having a teenage tantrum. She didn’t seem to understand quite how deep her words had cut me.














It was like I had asked to go to the cinema and she had refused or something. Like I was two years old and I couldn’t have chocolate buttons.
























And suddenly, I was sick of being a child.






















“What’s wrong?” Jason said, staring at me. “You look like someone’s just told you you’re going to die a slow, bloody death.”






























I elbowed him. “What’s with the morbid stuff?” I said. “Seriously, Jason, lay off the horror.”







“What’s wrong?” he repeated.























































“My mum’s a sl…” but I couldn’t quite bring myself to say it. Not to him. “My mum is the most annoying woman in the world.”



























He looked at me curiously, like he knew there was something I was holding back. I turned away from him and went back to my piece of paper, scanning it for my next few lines.














“Parents, eh?” Jason said. “Can’t get rid of them.”



















I laughed. “I’m not about to bump my Mum off, if that’s what you think,” I said, looking at him in a suspicious way. Jason – the murderer? “Are you offering or something?”






“No!” he said indignantly, banging a drum with his stick.













I didn’t believe him.

























“Yeah right,” I said. “What time are you free?”


























Jason’s eyes widened, and we both chuckled darkly. This was what my mum had done to me. I was now into morbid humour. Maybe I’d start watching Dracula and sleeping in a coffin, scaring the neighbours. She would have no one but herself to blame if I was brought into police custody on suspicion of vampirism.





















Actually, that would be kind of cool.






























“Guys, practise!” Gabby said, waving the lyrics sheet under my nose and poking Jason with his own drumstick. “We’ve already got Bonnie and Clyde over there in the corner – so can you two just concentrate please?”
































Jeez Louise.





























“I’ll put her on the list,” Jason said quietly, and we both sniggered.












“I said: concentrate,” Gabby said with a hard look in her eye, so we became scared we were about to be assassinated, and soon shut up, heads down. Scary.














Still, it’s always the quiet ones, isn’t it?



















Definitely.































I peered over at Maddy and Frankie. They were talking in low voices, her occasionally flipping her long blonde hair away from her face, and him running his hands through his hair frequently. At one point they appeared to be talking quite seriously – and then Maddy laughed. It seemed like Frankie could wear down even the most stubborn of hearts.






“They’ll be back together within the hour,” I said. “Just you wait and see.”










“Nah; she’s made of harder stuff than that,” Jason said with a grin. “Wanna place a bet?”






“Yeah, OK,” I said eagerly, digging in my pockets for my purse.













“No; not that kind of bet,” he said evilly. “Whoever loses has to stay here practising for an hour longer than the others – with Maddy as guard in case they try to escape. Deal?”







I shook his hand. “Deal,” I said confidently. I was so going to win.














Maddy was now softly singing in the corner, Frankie giving her encouragement. I felt a little frozen inside, and looked away again. Maybe I just wasn’t used to all that romantic stuff.






















Maybe it was why I didn’t understand Mum’s desire to be with Gary…and her mistake. That wasn’t love, surely?






















































I sat on the worktop, my legs dangling. I wasn’t ready for the audition, was I?










At the thought, I automatically felt a fresh wave of despair. What was I going to do?










And what if I let the band down? Single-handedly stamped on our chances?













Was it really a risk I was prepared to take? Could I pull out to save the others, tell them to carry on without me?





































No, I thought. They’re never going to accept that.






















And why should they? They were convinced I could perform just because I wrote the words – because really, I should be the one who caught the emotion of the song most. But somehow I couldn’t quite seem to find it. I just felt a little empty inside whenever I tried to make myself be the girl in the song; the girl in love. I couldn’t reach her, no matter how hard I tried.




























But would my determination to succeed tomorrow help me with that along the way? Or was I just a girl born to ruin her own life? That theory seemed far more likely than the former. How could someone like me stand in front of experienced men and women and pretend to be talented?


























But I couldn’t pull out, surely. That wouldn’t be fair. And anyway, the others would never forgive me.

























“Guys!” Maddy said at the end of practice, her cheeks very pink. “We’ve got something to tell you!”
































“We’re back together,” said Frankie, and across the room, his eyes locked onto mine for a second. I looked away from his gaze, cheeks burning with a mixture of confusion and terrible, crushing disappointment.
























Jason looked at me.




























“You win,” he said with a sheepish expression on his face.















“Have a nice time,” I told him. “I’m sure the extra practice will do you good.”














I walked out of the garage, and tried to pretend I didn’t care.

I was already nervous when I woke up in the morning. A horrible fluttery feeling was dancing around in my stomach, and my heart was thudding in my chest.












It didn’t help that I was barely speaking to my mother. But that didn’t matter: I had to focus on the group. It would be selfish to do otherwise.




















Maddy didn’t seem at all nervous going by her texts. She sounded bright and cheery, a world away from my circle of worries. Or maybe she was still buzzed about getting back with Frankie. I couldn’t really tell.





























I stepped out of bed, my toes touching the rough carpet. My heart did another three thuds. If I was already this nervous, how would I be just before I performed? When I was performing?





I fingered a messy curl, trying to steady my breaths.


















It was time to pull myself together – or I’d ruin everything, just like I always did…just like I had almost ruined Maddy and Frankie. But that was okay. I had fixed that. This was the only thing left that I really cared about.




































What about your Dad? Snarled a voice in my ear. Sorry, what Dad?














I pushed the thoughts away. Today was not the day. It was time to bury the sadness; forget all about it. I had never known what a father was, so why was it affecting me so badly now?





Nothing had changed. Not really.


























I snatched my brush from my table top and slowly, rhythmically started combing through my hair; each sweep relaxing me a little more. Then I secured it in a topknot and picked out any old thing to wear. I would change into my audition outfit at the Young Stars studio.







I heard Mum calling me for breakfast, so I reluctantly left my bedroom and trailed to the kitchen. It wasn’t like I could stomach anything right now, but if I didn’t leave now I never would. Seriously. I was happy to curl back up in my duvet and go to sleep.












Mum passed me a plate with a little smile. When I looked down, I saw she had arranged my bacon and eggs into a happy face. Before I could stop it, a little smile was playing on my own lips.



































“Thanks,” I said, my eyes still on the plate.




















Mum sighed. “Look, I know you’re mad,” she said. I glanced up. “And I also know you had every right to know. I’m really sorry I didn’t tell you, Eve. I wanted to.” Her voice took on a high, pleading kind of edge. “The truth is…I didn’t want to hurt you, and I suppose a tiny part of me was ashamed.” She cast her eyelashes upwards. “I know things are different now, but do you understand?”

































































I looked down at my lap, hands tied. I was tied, too. I did believe she was sorry – I really did – and I was trying to understand, but I hated the thought she had lied to me. We used to be so close, I used to tell her everything…and now we were barely speaking.











“I just wish…I wish you had known him a tiny bit,” I whispered. “I don’t mind about the one-night stand, honestly. I wish you had a name, Mum. I wish you had at least been friends with my – with my Dad.”






















Mum reached across the table and took my hands. “His name was Robert,” she said in a soft voice. “He had dark brown hair, beautiful grey eyes and rosy cheeks, just like you. He was kind and funny and charming, and yes, I only knew him for a few hours, but he was really sweet. I do remember that. I’m sure that – that if he had known about my pregnancy, he would have tried to be a Dad to you. But Eve, I never saw him again. I didn’t even find out about you for ages. But your Grandma was wonderful. So supporting. She wanted you, sweetheart. We both did. You just never got to meet her.”















“So I…I wasn’t a mistake?” I said in a tight voice. “You don’t regret having me?”






Mum looked me hard in the eye. “Never,” she said. “I was always going to keep you.”








I nodded. It still hurt, but I thought I saw it all better now. Clearer. And at least she had spoken to me like I was an adult, like I mattered.




















I stood up after breakfast and started to get my things together. What did I need? Lyrics sheet…water bottle…tissues…snack for the journey…cherry lip gloss. That seemed to be all. Still, I double-checked everything before I was ready to go. And suddenly I wished I could stay, watch a cheesy film and eat popcorn. Anything. Anything but this.













I felt sick.






























“Just don’t panic,” Mum said, hands on my shoulders. “You’ll be fine, sweetheart. You’re wonderful and talented and I know you’ll do me proud!”
















“Right,” I said, when inside I was really thinking wrong.



















Parents weren’t allowed to come to the audition. Instead a special coach was coming to take us away. Mum would pick me up afterwards.






















I was kind of happy about that. If I performed badly, she would never see. And if we didn’t get through, she would never know it was all my fault.


















Still, I wished she could at least accompany me there. I needed Mum’s calm, reassuring words to make everything feel alright again.
























Mum gave me a fierce hug. “Just remember it doesn’t matter either way,” she said. “In life, I nodded slowly, waved goodbye, and made my way out the door. I knew that this was our one chance. You didn’t get a second shot at fame if you were one of five kids in a juvenile band. That just wasn’t how the world worked, however much you hoped.




















The coach was where it said it would be; parked outside the nearby station. I could already see Gabby, Jason and Frankie – but no Maddy.




















I forced my wobbly legs to walk towards them. Gabby gave me a quick hug too; a hug to say we were friends, a hug that smelled of home. I pulled away and asked about our missing band mate. Because what was she playing at? She was lead singer – we needed her. We were five, not four. It didn’t feel right standing here in the cold wind without her.










Gabby rolled her eyes at me. “She’s late, of course,” she said. “But she says she’ll be here in five. Ten at most. What was the hold-up with you, anyway?”














“There was…something I had to sort out,” I said, my eyes briefly snagging onto Frankie’s before I looked away again. “But I’m here now! When does the coach leave?”









“Fifteen minutes,” Gabby said anxiously. “Actually, we were supposed to be in our seats by now, but I persuaded the driver to let us wait for you guys.”












“I bet you were first here,” I said with a smirk.


























“Actually, I was,” Jason said. “It’s lucky we didn’t place a bet on that.”

















I laughed lightly. “Lucky for me,” I said.
























“Sorry guys!”

























We all turned round to see Maddy running towards us, pale blonde hair flying perfectly in the wind; like in a Hollywood movie. She gave us all tight hugs that smelled of hairspray, and together, we walked onto the coach. Or onto our doom. Either way.













We sat at the back, ignoring the staring eyes of the other contestants. This coach was huge; but it was only one of many. All over the country similar vehicles were transporting bands to the studio. At this thought, the knot in my stomach twisted again. This really was an even bigger deal than even I had imagined. In my worst nightmare.














Jason and Gabby were at the end, by the window. I was next to Gabby, and Maddy was next to me - followed by Frankie. It was a line up I could handle, because I was mostly left alone to my thoughts. Gabby quietly practised to herself, and Maddy talked to her boyfriend.






Within half an hour, I had given in to temptation and whipped out my lyrics sheet. No wonder I was called Eve. I hoped my mother hadn’t known it would be so ironic when she had named me. Or maybe she had thought that maybe this way, I’d be a good girl and give the name a new meaning.
























If so, she had been wrong. In so many ways.
















“Hey, pass me that,” Maddy said immediately.



















I folded my arms. “I’ve barely had it!” I said. “Why didn’t you bring your own, anyway?” I worked to keep the annoyance out of my voice. It wouldn’t do for me to get irritated now as well as nauseous.































“Calm down,” Maddy said, twirling a piece of hair round her finger. “I only wanted to look at this one line. I’ve forgotten how to sing it.”






















“Fine,” I handed over the sheet, and stared down at my nails. I couldn’t do this…I couldn’t do this…I couldn’t do this…

























“Here, share mine,” Gabby said.















































“Thanks,” I said, blowing a stray curl off my face.




















We read through the lines, commenting occasionally but mostly keeping quiet. It was a restful, gentle quiet. One that didn’t need words.




























Looking at the song, I couldn’t think where I had got the lyrics from. They were so…private. I wasn’t sure I was ready to share it with a panel of judges.

















More fear bubbled in my chest, flaring up like a raging balloon. What if they didn’t like it?






I touched the tiny tear on my cheek; brushed it away. There would be none of that today. Not if I wanted to be strong…not if I wanted to succeed…























“You OK?” Frankie said in a low voice.

























“She’s fine,” Maddy said before I could answer. “Aren’t you, Eve?”
















I dredged up a shaky smile. “I’m great,” I said. My mouth muscles hurt with the effort of saying it. “Just nervous, you know.”






















“But you’re always so…together,” Maddy said. “You’ve never faulted on a performance.”




What on earth was she talking about? I was never happy on the stage. Never at my best. And anyway…there was a first time for everything.









































“Well, look at it this way,” Frankie said. “At least you bagged a free coach ride.” He gave me a comfortable, teasing grin. I could already feel the nerves being chased away…like they had all been gathered in a net. And this time laughter replaced the fake smiles.







“Right, everyone,” the driver said in a booming voice. “We have reached our destination –” everyone on the coach giggled at his Star Wars voice. “And we will now have to exit. Please gather your bags. I am not responsible for any lost items.” We all giggled again, and started to stand up, the way people did after a cinema screening.

















“This is it, guys,” Maddy said, following me off the coach. “This is it!”













“Jeez, don’t remind me,” I said, and we all laughed at her till she pouted.












The arena was big and rounded; windows tall and pointed and rectangular. I swallowed a ball-shaped lump in my throat and smiled at the others.















“Should we go inside, then?” I said.























We walked into the huge silver building, feet pattering on the stone concrete. I stopped to look back at the white coach; watched its black wheels turn into the morning air, and saw it disappear along the road.

In the dressing room, Maddy was showering herself in glittery hairspray. We weren’t alone. We shared this space with several other bands, all prettily made up and doing strange-looking warm-up exercises. Gabby had crossed over to the dark side, and was now practising some breathing techniques. Jason and Frankie were in a separate dressing room, though this wasn’t really necessary because we were all dressed already.




















Maddy, Gabby and I were in rock t-shirts and ruffled skirts, pulled off by some black leather boots. The boys were in casual wear; a similar t-shirt and some jeans.














“How do I look?” Maddy said, inspecting herself in the mirror.
















The truth was, she outshone every girl in the room. Her pale blonde hair was hitched up in a high ponytail; she was wearing shiny pink lip gloss, shimmering eye shadow and mascara. The clothes hung off her effortlessly; making her look like a teen supermodel. My heart felt a little colder inside when I looked at myself. My hair was arranged similarly, only I wore red lip gloss because the colour of my lips was snowy red whereas Maddy’s was pouty pink. I had never looked better in my life, but next to Maddy, I was my plain and ordinary self again.






“Gorgeous,” I said, turning away from the mirror and fixing a lace on my left boot.






“Then we match,” Maddy said, and we both laughed. As if. Wearing the same outfit had been an obvious mistake.
























There came a knock at the door.

























“The auditions will be starting in five,” said a deep-voiced male.



















Maddy, Gabby and I looked at each other as if to say: ‘scream!’















“We need to find Jason and Frankie,” I said. “Or we’ll end up being a trio.”
















Maddy pulled a devasted face. “Never!”

























Together, we walked out of the dressing room in a trail of sweet-swelling perfume and feathery skirts, and soon found our last two band mates hanging around by the canteen, of course.



































“I suppose you two just couldn’t wait till lunch,” I said, and us girls smirked.









“Actually,” Frankie said smoothly. “We figured this is where you three would be – t-shirt looking a little tight, Maddy?”





































Maddy did two things at once – whacked her boyfriend and then kissed him. Jason coughed loudly until they stopped, and we made our way to the waiting room. It was bleak and cream white, with horrible plastic chairs, the sort you get in hospitals. I shuddered as I took a seat nearest the exit. (For no particular reason).



















Frankie flopped down beside me, grinning, with Maddy close by his side.












“Nervous?” he said.






































I waved an airy arm. “No way,” I said. “I can’t wait to show myself off to a panel of scary judges and rival bands. It’s all casual.”




























“Yeah right,” he said with that irritating grin on his face. “I bet this is eating you up inside.”








“Shut up!” I said, elbowing him. But it worked. I was soon grinning back, and it was almost easy to convince myself the fear in my chest wasn’t there, wasn’t real. And didn’t belong to me.

































“I was only trying to cheer you up,” Frankie said in a fake-wounded voice. Like I was going to fall for those puppy dog eyes. Even if they were an unusual shade of green.








“Yeah, it looked like it,” I said sarcastically. “More like jepordize my chances of getting through.”



































“Our chances,” he reminded me. I shrugged.

















Maddy dug him in the ribs. “Hey, don’t be mean!” she said to him. “I’m the only one allowed to bully my best friend, got it?”
























She caught my eye and we both smirked. Girl power was in full force today.










“Yeah, I’m the bully,” Frankie said with a roll of his eyes, but we were soon talking over him about our differing favourite shades of lip gloss.





























Just then an announcement came for a group called Eye Candy. Sluts. They gave us menacing glares as they went past, and Maddy and I stuck our tongues out at them.







“Boy, were they fit,” Jason said, and was instantly hit by Maddy, Gabby and I. I noticed Frankie kept oddly quiet though, so maybe his girlfriend should keep a tighter leash on him.


“What, so I’m not allowed to look?” Jason said furiously – then he chuckled. “You guys are so easy to wind up. I really thought they looked like hookers. Hookers, okay?”











The three of us nodded through narrowed eyes. He was off the hook (get the pun?) – just. One more step out of line and his little toes were marshmallows over a camp fire. Less dramatically, we would kill him. KILL him. We grinned evilly to each other.

















We could already hear Eye Candy singing. They sounded like sluts, so the look matched.









Maddy made unintelligible but dark comments throughout their performance. I laughed – nobody got to rival my best friend.






































But, unfortunately, we were after this group. Great. I hoped the judges wouldn’t make outfit analogies between Eye Candy and me.










































Maddy was doing breathing techniques with Gabby in the run-up to our audition. I was taking deep, steadying breaths in and out while Frankie laughed at me and made off-putting comments. Honestly, did he want me to fail?













































Our group were announced as ‘Teen Dream’ –a last minute name Maddy came up with. It was pretty cheesy, but we didn’t have anything else. The troupe of sluts eye rolled us again as they exited, but our eyes slid past them like they weren’t there. This audition was not about revenge or rivalry. It was about us and our big chance, and nothing else was important. Besides, I thought to myself, we would deal with them at boot camp.











A woman with a straight red bob came dashing in, carrying a clipboard.











A circus of nerves was spinning around in my stomach – diving and swooping and laughing at me. I couldn’t let them beat me – could I?

























No, I could not. Everything was riding on this. I shuddered again at the thought.











My heart skipped about ten beats as we went on from backstage. The judges were sat behind a long box-shaped desk; three men and two women. They greeted us in turn, flashing their Hollywood-white teeth. In the bright light of the studio, it was hard not to think Jaws.








“Hello,” a severe-looking woman said. “How do you all do?”
















We gave a tumble of replies that alternated between ‘great’ and ‘fine thanks’. I cringed inside. Hopefully we wouldn’t sound this robotic if they asked us other questions.










“And why are you all here today?” the man on her right said sternly – almost rudely. What was his problem? Was he deliberately trying to intimidate us so we would perform badly? Or was he testing to see if we were made of stronger stuff?



















Maddy tossed a piece of hair off her face, while I nervously tucked a loose curl behind my ear. The silence was sharp and obvious; like a stab wound or a broken piece of glass.









Someone say something! I prayed in my head. It felt like my limbs were frozen in place; like my jaw was clued to my mouth. I couldn’t speak. And my heart wouldn’t stop thump thump thumping in my chest.




























Frankie cleared his throat. “We’re here to show off our music,” he said, and we all breathed out. “We each believe we – er – have something unique to offer.” He started gesturing towards himself, and all of us. “I play guitar,” he said. “And Maddy here’s our lead singer, with Gabby as our harmonist. Jason plays the drums, and Eve does the backing vocals, as well as writing all our songs.”



























“You write your own songs?” the stern-faced man said, peering at me over his glasses. “I must say, that is impressive. Most people here simply take lyrics from other bands.”






A hot, seeping blush stained my cheeks, while my friends all elbowed me and grinned. Maddy whispered: ‘it means he thinks we’e different; good’ and Gabby said something sweet. But what if they heard the song and labelled it rubbish now they knew a thirteen-year-old amateur had written it? Or what if they had high expectations, and now thought I was some kind of child genius? But if I put them straight, I risked ruining our chances. I couldn’t do that, surely?






























“You may now begin,” said another of the judges.































Maddy took a gulp of air in before beginning. Like before, her voice was slow and very soft, so different to her ordinary persona. She started building up the momentum to the beat, with Jason’s drums and Frankie’s guitar backing her up. Gabby soon joined in, her drifting voice a whisper of Maddy’s vocals. I got in on the act when we were near the chorus, making my voice match both the tone of my friends and the song. For once I let myself feel the music…absorbed the flowing tunes and just sung for me. Our notes reached a high pitch almost effortlessly, so we sounded like a chorus of very sad birds. It was perfect for the song. For our song. Because although occasionally some notes were flat and the instruments didn’t sound romantic enough, the feel of the song stabbed at the centre of our performance; loud and indestructible. When we got to the end of our performance, the judges sat back and began to discuss among themselves. Then they looked up at us and smiled.












“Very good,” the severe woman said. “You, in particular, really caught the song.”








She was talking about me. Looking at me. Impossible. No way. She must have it wrong.







We walked off stage with big, beaming smiles on our faces, and sat back down in the crowded waiting room. They were announcing who was through in asap, which did nothing for the knot of anxiety in my stomach. But at least we’d know soon – and at least they weren’t going to make us wait days and endless, painful hours; minutes that ticked by at the speed of a broken alarm clock. It was better this way. Much, much better.













Frankie punched my shoulder when we were all settled. “Well done,” he said. “I think you might just have saved our audition.”























“I hardly did anything,” I said dismissively. “They were just all hyped up because I wrote the song. I was just backing vocals. It’s you guys they should be acknowledging – Maddy’s voice was amazing, and Gabby was so sweet and echo-ey. And you and Jason were fantastic, too.”





Frankie gave me an almost frustrated grin. “You really have no idea,” he said. “You’re really talented, Eve, and the judges saw that…it’s a shame you don’t write yourself more lines.”







I stared at him. What was he saying? That I should ditch the others and take centre stage? No way. That wasn’t how I rolled. And anyway, so what if I could sing a little in tune? It just didn’t compare to Maddy and Gabby, and everyone knew my songwriting was better than my actual singing – and even that was a little crap. Average at best. The judges were probably just playing mind games with us all. Frankie laughed when I explained my conspiracy theory to him.
































“Some people will say anything,” he said, shaking his head. “You know, Eve you really are crazy.”































Before I could reply, the red-haired woman appeared in the doorway once more. We all sucked in a deep breath.


























“The results of the auditions today are as follows,” she said in a clear voice. “Eye Candy, Sugarbabes tribute, Sweet Wishes, Indie Rock, Monkey Business, Boys in Blue, Teen Dream, The Teddy Bears…” she kept speaking, but I wasn’t listening anymore.















We were through.






































We were going to Boot camp.























Ignoring the other contestants, and the announcer’s ringing voice, we danced around the room and whooped and yelled and hugged, because somehow we had made it, and we weren’t about to give up now.

Games.
































It was an interesting title for a boot camp song.





















I sat at my desk and puzzled over half-written words, tried to work out if they actually made sense. It mostly seemed to be a jumble of anger mixed with loyalty and love; and being messed around; played with, by someone who was supposed to love you back. Manipulation, a hopeless crush, and furious defiance cropped up a lot. I wondered if I was internally insane, because these lyrics could not be coming from the head of a thirteen-year-old girl who had never been in love.




























Never been in love. It had a strangely appealing ring to it. It sounded better than having a broken heart, anyway. All that confusion so young…was it really worth it? To me it just seemed to mess up lives. Then again, what did I know? I still didn’t understand why my mother was on her fourth date with Mr Nice Guy Gary. She couldn’t stop gushing about him. Gary was this and Gary was that and blah blah blah. Who cared?















She didn’t seem to understand that while I had accepted she wanted a love life, I didn’t want to hear anything about it. Besides, I was still, tentatively, coming to terms with the fact I, essentially, had no Dad. Her perverted work college was no match, surely?









Not in my world, anyway.




























I quickly wrote down in my notebook: Games. Why don’t you understand I’m not interested in your twisted heart. Games. You twist me…roll your dice and expect me to fall on my face. I don’t need you. Don’t you understand? Your games…your games are slowly chipping away…

































I paused, frowning over the cheap sheet of paper. We didn’t have much time at all until Boot Camp – just two weeks left. The judges seemed eager to eliminate the weaklings who had soemehow slipped under the radar. I was determined to prove we for one were through because we really deserved our place. Because we really cared. Not just about being famous or having money. No, it was the lure of recording an actual song of ours in a studio that had our hearts racing. Music…it could convey a lot, couldn’t it? When you were depressed, you turned to your favourite cheer-up track – or maybe a song so sad and beautiful it understood, just a little, or what it really felt like to be in despair. It was a horrible feeling – and like a disease, it spread. First to the chest. Then the heart. And eventually the brain, when you started to believe all the awful things being conjured up by your subconscious. I liked to think our songs could one day bring someone back from the edge, or at least let them know they weren’t alone. Fame – it was just a plus, wasn’t it? Just a way to get our music out there?







Maddy wasn’t so sure. She wanted to go on tour and be known all over the world. But even without the band, I was sure she would one day be a star…beautiful, talented and bubbly; what audience wouldn’t fall for Maddy’s charm?



















But this could be my only chance. I was shy, boring, and kind of pointless in regards to the band. Because really…what did I have to offer? I was sure the band could easily find a better, more experienced songwriter in a second if they ever got big. It didn’t occur to me I might actually have a place here; and maybe, just maybe, friends preferred to work together.









Besides, I didn’t have the money to do anything major if the competition failed. The others…they’d do alright. This was my shot at being someone other than the all-too-average girl with three pounds in her piggy bank. Because normal people didn’t get the chance, did they?

































Normal people…their dreams couldn’t come true.

























































































































I put down my pen, grabbed my bag and went out the front door. It seemed like my life revolved around Maddy’s garage these days, but come May, all of this would be over.







For now, band practice was on the agenda.
*


Band practice was gruelling.























We all hated it, really, but what could we do? Give up? No way. Not while I still had a voice in me.



































































“How do you come up with all this?” Maddy said one day, gesturing to the new and improved lyrics sheet. “I mean, you’d think you’d had thirty break-ups the way you write.”









I blushed and said nothing. I made me uncomfortable when people commented on my songs. I had already resolved to remain anonymous if future fame should knock at my door. Nobody would have to know I was the writer.






















“Well, maybe Eve has some dark skeletons,” Frankie said with a wink.














I turned away and let Maddy start an argument with him about whether or not I had secret ex boyfriends. I was getting far too close to that boy, and it scared me. Yeah, he was my friend, but he was starting to talk like we were more. I couldn’t let that happen. Not ever.








It hurt too much to think of.
































“This is so hard to echo,” Gabby said with an anxious smile to show she wasn’t blaming me. “I’m used to harmonising really slowly, you know. But I’m sure I’ll get used to it!”









I bit my lip. I hadn’t been thinking of her when I had written the song. To be honest, I didn’t know what I had been thinking about. But all of a sudden words had tumbled from my fingertips…dangerous words…words of passion and fire and lost love. It was like I had been taken over by lyric aliens.























Something like that, anyway. Because what on earth did I know about it? It was so weird, like someone had sparked questions inside me. Like, what did it feel like to lose the love of your life? What happened if you were used? If maybe you weren’t with the right person after all…







I gave Gabby a thin smile. “Sorry,” I said. “I just thought I’d…give the judges a bit of variety. Make us stand out!”





























“More than the Eye Candy sluts, anyway,” Maddy said darkly. I laughed at her. They had really got to her ego.





























“Trust me, they have nothing on you,” Frankie said with a smile in his voice, but he wasn’t looking at her, he was looking at me.































“They’re not that great-looking,” I said, ignoring his gaze. “Beneath the thigh-length skirts and the ten-ton make-up, anyway. I actually feel sorry for them. I mean, who wants to be a clown?”

























We all sniggered meanly at this. Somewhere in my heart I felt bad for the sluts, but we were going in to win. You didn’t win by being nice to your enemies. Especially not ones who looked like that.























“Nice as it is to badmouth Eye Candy,” Jason said with a smirk. “We really need to concentrate on kicking their butt at Boot Camp.”





















We all gave reluctant nods and went back to work. It was so draining, though, like sucking the life out of a song with a very, very thin straw. I was scared we’d lose the connection, and end up sounding fake. Perfect pitch-wise (or instrument-wise) but totally dead when it came to emotion. Because people didn’t want to listen to robots, did they? They wanted real people they could love, real people they could relate to. Because when you looked at it, the most well-liked celebrities had to have some qualities going for them. Otherwise they were forgotten like trash. Good in the moment, but in fifty years? You could forget it.











And short skirts weren’t enough in the long run. Beauty faded…but talent; it could last forever. A moment, captured on camera. A skilled actor, caught on tape. Forever frozen. And forever a legend.




























“This is so hard!” Maddy said, smoothing down a blonde lock of hair. “I feel so depressed singing it!”
























Well, sorry, I thought stiffly.





























“People love a bit of depression,” Frankie said, putting his arm around her with a grin. “However much they cry, the best stuff’s always the most tragic. Right, Eve?”









“Right,” I said through gritted teeth. For some reason, him standing up for me was really, really annoying. Like a rash you’re itching to scratch. I tried to shrug off my irritation, because it made no sense.



























“I know,” Maddy said, placing a hand on her heart. “But I feel so sorry for the girl in the song!”


































“She isn’t real,” I said in a surprisingly dead voice.




















“No, I get what Maddy’s saying,” Gabby said thoughtfully, and I could almost feel her invisible speech bubbles, tracing in the air. “This speaks universally for anyone who has ever been let down in love.” She blushed a little, but Maddy was already nodding enthusiastically in agreement with her. Great. I had been outnumbered.


















Ganged-up on. Because who were they to tell me what my song meant?














Frankie caught my scowl where no one else noticed.































“What’s up?” he said.




























“Nothing,” I said, hating myself for being angry yet again. All I could seem to feel was fury these days; burning under the surface like a new vein. I didn’t know if it was because of Mum or Gary or ‘Dad’ or something else…but I just felt so lifeless. Lost. And I didn’t like this new me; this new Mum; this new boyfriend. I knew it wasn’t fair for me to be annoyed at my friends, but to be honest, even Maddy was annoying. All she ever talked about was Frankie. And I couldn’t get rid of him myself. He was everywhere.


















































“What’s up?” he repeated.



































None of your bleeping business, I half-wanted to say. But that would be mean, and whatever I was these days, I was no bully.




































“I dunno,” I shrugged. “Everything’s just crap these days, you know?”














He nodded, slowly. “Yeah, I know,” he said. “It’s growing up, isn’t it? Complicated or what.” He whistled.





























“Complicated,” I echoed. “That’s one word for it.”


















“Well, at least we’ve got the band,” he said with such a warm smile I felt one on my own face in response. A real smile, not based on malice. It felt like it was enough to drive away the despair that usually filled my blood. It felt, to my surprise, really good. It was such an understanding smile I could almost cry at the words that went with it. It was stupid; irrational; but it was real.




























“Can I see that?” he asked, looking at my lyrics sheet. I handed it over without comment.







He studied the lines, his eyebrows pulling together. An expression I couldn’t read was flitting across his face. My heart was beating harder in my chest. What if he hated it? And worse, why did I care so much anyway?


























“You don’t write like you’re thirteen,” he said eventually, and I knew what he meant. I didn’t really feel thirteen, either.


























“Well, maybe I’m a fifty-nine year old Italian,” I said, and we both laughed.










“Let me guess,” he said afterwards. “The song’s called ‘Games’?”
















He was right.





























“Damn you,” I muttered. “I so hoped you’d be wrong this time around.”












“Nah,” he said. “I’m just too good.”































He caught my eye and gave me a smile that said we were more than friends, but that was all we could ever be.

Boot camp…it sounded like going on a holiday in a tent or throwing shoes or appearing on X Factor. It didn’t sound like something that could change your life.






















The thought of making it to the final – without even thinking about winning – filled me with a mixture of amazement, fear, dread and longing. The longing was ultimately winning out, though; and that meant I had to fight my nerves every step of the way. Besides, it was getting much easier now to control my anxiety.


















It wasn’t that I didn’t feel the same fear. That hadn’t changed. I had just learnt to handle it, kind of. And even if I crumbled inside, I was determined the judges would see nothing but steel. Nothing but a strong, united band capable of making it to the final…and who knew? Maybe winning.





























And then…it was too hard to think about. Because if I thought too much about what could happen, about what I wanted to happen, and about the future, I would not be able to take the pressure.






























And I would crumble.























I let my hair lie loose on the morning of the second stage. It tumbled, as usual, just past my shoulders; a mad wave of dark brown curls. This was oddly comforting. A piece of me; a shield against the world. At least…at least that part of me hadn’t changed.









I stepped into glittery black shoes with one cherry on top of each. They were beautiful, sweet, perfect.Nothing like me. But maybe they would help me jump into a person who could be confident, talented, unfazed. Maybe the gentle taps of the heels could drown out the sinking doubts inside.























And maybe pigs would tap dance on the moon.




















Knock, knock.




























“Come in,” I said in an unsteady voice. I knew who it was, of course. Maddy.









The door opened, and my best friend stood there in matching shoes. Her hair was a pale gold plait down her chest, and today only pink lip gloss painted her face. It was weird seeing her eyes without mascara. I could really see the light blue of her eyes; which was odd in itself, because mascara was designed to draw out the eyes. Her lashes were light blonde like her hair, not black as usual. It sent another stab through my heart that she looked even better without make-up, when I looked hideous with or without. I shook these thoughts away from me. They weren’t fair, and they wouldn’t help with later. Besides…she couldn’t help having everything most girls would kill for.






















“Hi,” I said with a genuine smile. “You’re early.” I put down my hairbrush and waited for her to speak.


































“I couldn’t wait any longer,” she said in a hurried voice. “I woke up at six.”































I smirked at her. “Isn’t your usual style about two in the afternoon?”










“Exactly,” she said in a whiny voice. “This is awful, Eve! I’m so nervous.”










Nervous?






























I had never once thought that Maddy; bright, beautiful Maddy, ever got scared. Her confidence was as much part of her genes as her perfect hair or tanned white skin.






It made me feel a little better, though. Because if even girls like Maddy got nervous, then maybe I wasn’t such a coward after all.






















“Me too,” I said in a tight voice. “I feel sick. This is it…our big chance to get to the final!”




Maddy groaned. “Way to remind a girl!” she said, pulling a face at me. I pulled one back and soon we were both giggling like mad people. But that was okay. Better mad than nervous at this point in the day.




























“I thought we’d go for dark and dramatic at Boot Camp,” Maddy said with some of her usual bouncy approach. “You know, on the outfits. What with your song and everything…”





I nodded. Dark and dramatic was way more preferable than pink and girly, though I’d truthfully rather just have gone in a t-shirt and jeans.

















After half an hour of squeals and last minute heart-to-hearts and nervous laughter, Maddy grabbed my arm, waved goodbye to my Mum for me, and pulled us both out the door.
*


The coach rumbled along the lane, bumping on occasional stones and nearly a person once – he just dashed into the road. But after that it was a relatively safe journey. Safe and boring with nothing to take my mind off Boot camp apart from Frankie’s continued conversation starters – and they made me want to run a mile. He just wouldn’t get it, though. Wouldn’t leave me alone. And clearly he didn’t pick up on sarcasm too well either, because whenever I tried to give heavy hints with the clear message of ‘piss off’, he just smiled again and asked where he could get a similar pair of sour grapes. It was infuriating. And he really, really got under my skin. Annoying manipulative little -



















“So all set for today?” Frankie said as we made a quick stop.













I rolled my eyes. “Well duh. I’m here, aren’t I?” I said, abandoning all manners. Maybe he’d stop talking if he picked up on my rudeness. Or maybe I was just kidding myself.








A buzz of chatter and fear hit my ears with every second, and I really couldn’t be bothered to give coded messages too. So the boy better just get it. Full stop.














Frankie didn’t stop talking about his usual crap – he laughed. “You’re so mean to me,” he said almost wonderingly, like he didn’t know what he had done to provoke such attacks. Well, his Little Mr Innocent act wasn’t fooling me.

















“Well, you won’t shut up,” I said without a shred of regret. “Isn’t there anyone else for you to annoy?”































“Not really, no,” he said with a shrug. “There’s just you.” He threw me a sudden grin. “And besides, you’re so fun to wind up.”























Oh, so that was what he thought, was it?





















“Well, I’m glad you’re amused,” I said in a snappy voice, which only increased the size of his big bloody smile. If he didn’t stop bugging me, there would be a murder before we got to the arena. That was just how it was.























“Seriously, what is your problem?” he asked in a neutral voice. “You got some unresolved anger manangement issues or what?”






















“You want a knuckle sandwich?” I said, brandishing my fist.














But, far from looking terrified, the big idiot just laughed again. I scowled and turned my face away from him. It really, really wouldn’t do for me to show off my black belt right now.






I was disappointed in my best friend. She had abandoned the seat next to Frankie and me in favour of getting some last minute warm-up exercises from Gabby’s weird book, and now I was left to fend for myself. How did she stand him 24/7? I was already tearing out my curls – and trust me, they were thick.


























“Did your Dad have curly hair?” Frankie asked me suddenly.












I gave a start before replying. “I don’t know,” I said. “But my Gran did. Well, I never met her, either, but yeah…I do know I got my Dad’s eyes, though. Grey. Why do you ask?”





“No particular reason,” he said. “I just wondered. You just look…different.”










“Yeah, I know I’m no catwalk model, but there’s no need to point out the obvious,” I said in a hurt voice. Great. So even my friends thought I was a freak.
















“I didn’t mean it in a bad way,” Frankie said with widened eyes. “I just meant I’ve never seen anyone who looks like you. You know, I’ve never really understood why you doubt yourself so much. Everyone thinks you’re great. Crazy, but great,” he said in a lighter voice. “And by the way,” he added. “If I had the choice between a catwalk model and you, I’d definitely pick you. Just saying,” he seemed suddenly embarrassed, like he thought he had said too much.



I was left reeling. People thought I was…great? Crazy? And Frankie Jones, my best friend’s boyfriend, preferred me, ordinary little me, to thin-as-a-pin catwalk models?








That was weird, considering I had always thought Maddy looked more like a model than your average girl.




























Why would he say something like that?




















But I didn’t have time to wonder anymore because the coach had pulled to a stop and we were at the studios – where Boot camp awaited.
























Quickly, I grabbed my rucksack and made my way off the bus, starting a conversation with Gabby at rapid speed. It helped to slow the careful beating of my heart; to quell the influx of crazy, impossible thoughts flooding to my brain. I hated when people got to me like this. I hated when people got inside my head and broke into my conscious thoughts. Because honest people…they had a way of sticking in my mind. And something told me chocolate wasn’t enough to forget this boy, whatever the magazines said.













Surprisingly, we were called on early for our performance. I didn’t know if this was a good or bad thing. All I knew was that the strength of the butterflies was choking in my throat. And, suddenly, I worried that when my turn came, I wouldn’t be able to sing.











But too late. We were taking to the stage.





















Wobbly knees. Heart. Pounding. Hastily taken positions. And then -












“You may begin,” said the stern woman in that same icy voice that had sent chills running down my spine. I coughed, loud enough that she noticed me. I ducked my head, blushed a little.
































Everyone was waiting for Maddy.
































“A crushed eye,” she sang in a hard, dangerous voice that matched the angry tone of the song; so different from her sweet audition. “Waving me hi. On the evening rush of your love…”





“Tell me. Tell about you; you and me,” I said in a hesistant voice that wavered around the edges. “Or take me…take me to that other place. Because you don’t seem to understand I can’t get you out of my head…”



































“We had raining wood,” sung Maddy and I.



















“And laughing eyes,” said Gabby.


















“And cute smiles,” Maddy and I said together.



















“And your sweet words; whispering in the wind…” Gabby said in a soft, harsh voice.







We all took a deep breath and nodded to the beat as Frankie’s guitar picked up the tempo and crashed around the arena; sung in fierce, love-bitten voices to the soundtrack of Jason’s banging drums. It was messy…crazy…loud…but somehow coming together better than it had in any mashed-around band practice. It was a fragile song.














And we were coming to the end of it. But still, my heart would not slow; if anything, it was faster, more frantic, as we kept on performing.















“I hate you; I don’t need you. ’Cause you’re killing me…killing me with your games,” Maddy said, and she looked so angry I almost believed her. “If you were a dice you’d land on three…’cause that’s how many girlfriends you put before me.”





























“So why don’t you understand?” Gabby sang out in a loud, furious voice. “I don’t need you…see you…want you…I don’t need you…see you…want you…so why don’t you hear me?”

































“Games,” Maddy said. “Your games are killing me. Taking me to that bad place.”
















“But bad places baby,” Gabby and I sang. “They just aren’t that great.”









Maddy ended in a hard, breezy voice: “So goodbye to you…and your games.”










The sound of the guitar fell. Jason’s drums stopped. Silence.
















“You may go now,” said the severe man.
















Jostling each other, we rushed off the stage; and each face was bright and still half-lit by studio lights.


































Nobody needed to say anything, because we all knew that we had to make the final. Had to keep doing this. Because it was one of those things you couldn’t really explain, but really wanted to be.































It was a taste of what life could be like on the other side.

Yeah, like going to the ice rink would make us forget about the competition.









That was what I told Maddy, anyway. But she kept on insisting it would be good for us to have some fun, so eventually the four of us agreed. It couldn’t be any worse than sitting on my bed and lying on my duvet cover, anyway.
















I filled my fluffy rucksack with a bottle of water, a snack and some gloves, just in case – because while it may be late March, the air was still fresh with winter. In fact, summers over here rarely started until June. No wonder people always complained about the British weather.




























I pulled on a soft, light blue woolly jumper, a matching shade of jeans. Then I grabbed some brown boots and walked into the living room. Mum was on the phone – a big smile stretching across her face. She was pink-cheeked and laughing. I knew who she was talking to, of course. For the past few weeks, this was how she always looked when she spoke on the phone.


























“I’m going to the ice rink with Maddy and the others,” I said loudly as I tied my hair up in a topknot. “Mum!”





























“Yeah, yeah, see you later,” she mouthed, putting the phone away from her ear. “Be back before five, OK?”
























I slammed the front door shut. Clearly, she had no time for me.















As I walked down the street, a twist of fear lodged in my chest; slowly sinking into the pits of my stomach. I was now second best to Gary. It hurt more than I had thought it would.

Of course, I had seen this coming. Just not so soon.


















I stuffed my fingers in my trouser pockets and kicked a few stray leaves out of my way. They were orange, yellowing into green. A sign of life; of spring. I felt another lonely tug at my heart. I could just imagine how different my life would be next spring. Mum would probably move us in with her boyfriend and – and – I didn’t know about me, or the band. Where would I be in a year’s time? The same place I was now? Lonely, useless, sick of my life?






I hoped not.































My bus was coming. I ran to get it, sticking my arm out, but it whooshed past in a whirlwind of wheels and splattered rain. Great. So now my boots were soaked and I had missed my bus. My shoes weren’t even waterproof. It wasn’t fair.













Why did life hate me so much? What had I ever done?













I grumbled to myself as I sat down on the cold, hard red bus stop seat. According to the board, the next bus was in fifteen minutes. I knew that in Spain and places like that, buses took way longer to come – but, well, this was London and we usually had better service than that.
































I had numerous messages on my phone. Five from Maddy, two from Frankie, and one each from Gabby and Jason. They were obviously fed up with my time keeping. But, well, it wasn’t my fault. And anyway, how many times had I waited in the rain for one of them?





Big deal, I was late this one time. I didn’t even want to come in the first place.












I put my sudden hurricane of emotions down to my anxiety about Boot camp, and Gary. Stupid Gary who had taken my Mum away from me. Why couldn’t he date someone else? There were thousands of women around – why her?

















I shivered a little as more rain bucketed down. The weatherman hadn’t forecasted this.











Finally, after more than fifteen minutes (or so I was willing to bet, as the countdown got stuck around nine minutes to go) the bus arrived, shiny and wet and inviting.












I scrambled onto the bus, beeped my oyster, and took a seat anywhere. Then I pulled out my phone and texted Maddy to tell her I was twenty minutes away, minus traffic.









Good, she texted back, because if we don’t queue up soon, it’ll be full up! Hurry!









Just pay for your own tickets, I tapped out, I’ll catch you guys up.











I turned my phone off and put it in my pocket. As I re-zipped my rucksack, the bus took a sharp turn. So it was this driver. The same one who’d had a fight with a passenger the other week because he was one pound short.





















I settled back in my seat. Due to the driver’s antics, the bus ride was taking a shorter time than I had expected.



































After another ten minutes, the door opened: last stop; ice rink. I stepped off the bus and walked up to the building, looking around for my friends. They were inside by this point, so I guessed they had taken my advice and ditched me.













“Just one ticket?” the woman at the reception desk said with a raise of her eyebrows.







I flushed. “My friends are waiting for me inside.” I paid for my ticket and stalked off through the doors – and sure enough, they were there.





















Maddy flung herself at me. “Finally!” she said, almost choking me with her hug. “We’ve been waiting ages to get our shoes. What size are you?”

















I found myself flushing again. Like my mother, I had tiny feet for my age. I was reluctant to admit this, but they always said you should get a pair bigger than you are, right?











“Um, I’ve forgotten,” I said stupidly.




























Maddy frowned. “How can you have forgotten?” she said in a sceptical voice.










I shrugged. “I mean, I forgot what size you should order – one up, or the same?” I said hastily.



































Maddy’s face relaxed. “Just get the same!” she said. “The boots they have here are ginormous anyway. I’m a six – you?”



























I was exactly half of that. Luckily for me, Frankie chose that moment to intervene.






















































































































“Hurry up, guys,” he said in an exasperated voice. “The line’s huge. How hard can it be to sort out shoe sizes?”






























“Just ask Eve,” Maddy said sarcastically, tossing a few strands of hair huffily. She licked her glossy pink lips as they both waited for an explanation.


















Oh. Shit.































“I’ll tell them at the desk,” I said, hurrying into the line next to Jason and Gabby, who both gave me big smiles. I planned to say my shoe size in as low a voice as possible without mouthing the answer as my Mum had this morning on the phone.















Gabby rolled her eyes at me. “Were they giving you a hard time?” she said. I gave a half shrug. “Typical. Did they tell you they kept us waiting with a game of tonsil tennis?”







I shook my head. Jason laughed as Maddy joined us in the line, towing her boyfriend. Frankie gave me a puzzled look, like he knew I was deliberately withholding information but couldn’t figure out why. I thought how bizarre I must have appeared and resolved to take some acting classes in future. Then nobody need know I had baby feet. I smiled to myself at the thought, wondering if insanity was a choice or if you were born with it. Born with it, I decided, then frowned to myself.




























“Sizes, please,” said the man at the desk lazily.





























Maddy took over before I could get there. “Well, I’m a six,” she said, glancing round at all of us. “Um, Frankie’s an eight, Jason the same, Gabby’s a five,” she looked at me. “Eve? What are you?”
































My face was burning.


































“A three,” I whispered.


































“Huh?” Maddy cupped her ear.
































“A THREE!” I almost shouted.
































Silence. Sniggers further down the line. Oh great. Trust me to turn a shoe size into public humiliation – and how could Gabby, barely five foot tall Gabby, have bigger feet than me?











Frankie gave me a sly grin I only caught out of the corner of my eye. I knew what that look meant, and tried to suppress the smirk on my own face. Ha-ha, my embarrassment and shoe size was so funny, wasn’t it?






















The man at the desk coughed to hide his snigger. “I’ll be right back,” he said, and went off to fetch our shoes, taking the ones we had worn to the ice rink.
















I looked down at my reindeer socks while I waited, not wanting to look at anyone. I knew it was ridiculous, but you couldn’t help how you felt, could you? I didn’t think so, anyway, even though I knew it was stupid. That I was being stupid, turning this into some big thing. Some what if I had pixie feet? What did it matter, in the long run?




























Still, it looked like my small big secret was out now. For years I had been hiding the identity of my feet from Maddy, and none of my other friends had been interested in shoe size before today.

































My best friend suddenly bent over and started laughing. “Trust you to invent a whole story just to stop me finding out the truth,” she said. “I mean, it’s only feet!” she laughed again, and this time everyone but me joined in.






















Once we had our ice skating boots (mine like a child’s compared to the others) we pushed our way through the crowd and went into the changing room, tying the laces. Then we wandered precariously out onto the ice, testing our feet. It always took a while to get used to the slippery new surface. Every time, I looked down at the smooth ground below me and wondered what it would be like to go beneath it, just for a second, and watch everyone skate above you. The thought never failed to entertain me.
















Maddy took my hand, I took Gabby’s, and we three skated around the ice, staring at the stewards on guard and giggling, almost smacking into the wall around. At once point Gabby tripped on an untied shoe lace and brought Maddy and me down with her. We lay on the ice, breathless and laughing. Bruising your legs didn’t get much funner than this.











“Let’s just catch our breath for a while,” Maddy said, so we stayed sitting, even when people stared.



















































































































Eventually Jason and Frankie made it back round, clearly startled at the sight of us. We giggled again and then it became hard to stop, though I tried to press my lips together – but it was no use; like a cough, giggles always had a way of forcing their way through your mouth when you least wanted them to.



















“C’mon,” Jason said, offering us his hand. “Get up, people are looking!”










We shrugged.






























“Hey, a steward’s coming over!” Maddy whispered in my ear. She flattened a blonde lock of hair and smiled at him as he approached. Apparently, having a boyfriend did not stop her flirting.






























“Alright, ladies?” he said with a knowing smile on his face. “Not hurt, are we?”







“We’re fine,” I said in an awed voice, like I was talking to a movie star. Well, he certainly had the looks for it.

































“Great,” he said. “Would you mind getting up, then?”























Nudging each other, we huffed and stood up shakily, almost falling again. The steward caught Maddy’s arm before she could fall, and she looked up at him through misty blue eyes. It was all an act, though. I was sure. Maddy knew how to play games.
















“Well, I better be off,” he said, shaking her off. “Somewhere, a fallen citizen needs my help,” he bowed his head and skated off, while us girls sighed after him.














“He was so nice,” Gabby said.

























“Dreamy,” said Maddy.


































“So brave,” I added in a husky whisper, making everyone laugh.
















“Hey, small feet,” Frankie said in a low voice as we skated off the ice. “I know a good circus you could join.”












































































“Shut up,” I said grumpily, but I smiled.





























Later, I vowed to never grow my feet, just so someday, a boy could call me small feet again.




When I got home, Mum was sitting in the kitchen, a shell-shocked expression on her face.




“What’s up?” I said, sitting down beside her.












































“You’re not going to believe this,” she said, handing me something small and paper white.








It was an envelope. A letter. With a star sealed on the back.






















Slowly, I opened the already ripped piece of paper – so Mum had got nosy – and stared at the printed words on the page until my eyes got blurry.




















No way. It couldn’t be right. This must be a mistake.
















I rang Maddy and we both screamed until the neighbour bashed on the wall.












This was it…we were going to the final.

I started panicking over the last song almost immediately.






















What was I going to write?

























It had to be special. It had to stand out. It had to make us win…














Win. My heart thudded violently at the thought. Well, if it kept doing that, then I wouldn’t make it to the final anyway. What a twisted idea.



























I looked at old songs of a similar genre to mine to get some inspiration, and when that didn’t work, I listened to Ed Sheeran instead. That was better. The lyrics were soothing and original, unlike most these days. I found myself relaxing as the music hit my eardrums, but I mostly just wished I could be talented enough to write songs like that. It was so depressing.












On Saturday morning, just after Easter, Mum called me to the living room for another of her ‘talks’. Bloody hell. Not again. I was getting tired of her parent chats, but they were getting more and more frequent as time ticked on.






















I sloped into the lounge with a surly expression glued to my face, but Mum didn’t appear to notice. She was pink and glowing again, like she had some big secret she couldn’t wait to share.





































And then she did, and I wished she hadn’t.
























“No way,” I said in a voice that shook. “I don’t want him here, Mum!”












“Darling,” Mum reached out to me, but I shoved her arm away. “Come on…don’t you think it’s time…”






























“Time you shut up?” I said. “Yes, I think so too.” I turned on my heel and marched out, ignoring her threats of grounding again. If I was grounded, I wouldn’t have to have dinner with Mum’s boyfriend.





























What had she been thinking?































Did she really think we could sit at some stupid table together like one big happy family? Was she really that deluded?


























I kicked the much-abused bin in my room and sat down on my bed – or jumped down on it – fuming. I wished her and her creep boyfriend would get the hell out of my face.










She wanted me grounded? Fine. I would stay in this room the whole time.














The whole bloody entire time.



























I seized my phone from the desk and smacked out a furious message to Maddy, asking if I could crash at hers tonight. She responded with a phone call.
















My fingers hovered over the key pad, wondering if I should accept it. What if she gave me a rant about accepting Gary? She was a Daddy’s girl, so could I really trust her when it came to matters like this?
































Sighing, I accepted the call. Maddy’s voice was very fast and breezy.




















“You can’t stay at mine tonight,” she said simply, and I cut in before she could explain.







“Fine!” I said, dangerously close to yelling now. “Fine!” I got ready to end call.








“Hang on a sec!” Maddy said hurriedly. “Listen to me, Eve, this isn’t the way to sort this.”



“What do you know?” I said in a biting voice. “You…you don’t know anything.” I could already feel tears pricking at the back of my eyes. I thought Maddy would understand…I thought she would help me. I had helped her, hadn’t I? Let her and Gabby stay for a sleepover when she had needed me? So why couldn’t she be a proper friend for once? And why did she have to choose today to get on her high horse? Today, when I really needed her?



























It seemed like there was no one left I could trust.













“Just meet him,” Maddy said. “Then make up your mind. If you don’t like him, then fine. But at least try, Eve.”




























“I don’t want a replacement Dad, thanks,” I said in a cold, hard voice. “I’ve managed nearly fourteen years without a real one.”

















“I didn’t say he had to be your Dad,” Maddy sounded frustrated. “I just mean…well, if he makes your Mum happy, then what’s the harm?”

















“What’s the harm?” I echoed in that same icy voice. “Are you stupid or something? Don’t you know what happens in grown-up relationships?” I knew I was being patronising and mean, but I couldn’t stop now – how dare she judge me for something she didn’t understand? “Don’t you know what they do, Maddy? They get married and have kids. And even if they don’t – even if they don’t they move in together. Don’t you get that?”











Silence.






























“Just forget it,” I said in a voice ten times quieter than before. “Just forget it.” I ended the call and threw the phone back on the desk.




















So the most self-centred girl on the planet thought I was selfish. That was laughable.






Why did she suddenly know so much, anyway? She was the girl who had never had a real problem in her life – not ever. Spoilt, rich and surrounded by doting family – how could that girl ever pretend she knew what to do? She knew nothing.
















I thought about kicking the bin again, but since it was already knocked over from before, there really didn’t seem to be any point.






















I watched the litter on my scratchy carpet. Torn pieces of paper fluttered to the ground; mostly containing old songs that had never quite taken off. Then there were the sweet wrappers; bright and sparkly and mocking; an illusion.


















I looked at the mess and wished my life was as easy to sort out.

















Then I sighed and scooped up all the rubbish, until it was perfect again.



















I sat down in my soft desk chair and took a pen from my handy supply, ripping off a few pieces of paper from my notepad. Then I started to write. Really started to write.










When I was done, I put a line on top of the final song and wrote: ‘Blue Kiss’ over the top.










Then I folded the three pieces of paper and stuffed them in my rucksack. Next band practice wasn’t until Monday.



























I was dreading seeing Maddy once the weekend was over. Part of me was ashamed, but mostly I was still angry. Over the years, I had supported her in everything she had done. But when had she ever done anything for me? Well, if you didn’t count splashing the cash on occasion. She was no friend.




























Inside, my heart throbbed at this notion. Maddy had been my best friend since I was three years old.







































But ten years was a long time to be in a one-sided friendship. Enough was enough. I would cut all ties with that girl.



























And then I would finally be alone. It was alright for everyone else. Maddy had Frankie and Gabby and Jason. Mum had Gary. I had no one. Not anymore.
















Everyone, in the end, let me down. What was I, just a piece of nothing; good old Eve who sorted out everyone else’s problems but failed on her own?

















Good old Eve who watched as everyone else succeeded.


















Maybe the competition would change that. Maybe not. What did it matter?











Fame was only cool if you could share it with your friends. Or your family.









Since both were out, I was stuffed.





















Around six in the evening, Mum knocked softly on my door. I ignored her.











“Gary’s here,” she whispered through the crack in the wall. “Can you at least come and say hello?”






























“I wouldn’t want to ruin your romantic little dinner,” I almost hissed back.












“Please, Eve,” she said in a pleading voice. “You don’t have to stay for long. Just ten minutes…one meal…please?”




























The steel in my heart faltered for a moment. I could get through one dinner, couldn’t I? For her? Even if she had let me down?
























“Alright,” I said quietly. “Give me five minutes.”



















Five minutes to hyperventilate in my bedroom.

























I paced around, not knowing what to think, what to do, what to say. I couldn’t leave Mum out there could I? Stranded and babbling about how Eve would be out in just a moment, with that awful fake smile she always had on when she was strained?












No, I couldn’t.































Mouth dry and throat closed up from something other than sickness, I walked out of my bedroom, letting the door swing on its hinges before it slammed shut behind me. It was okay. It would be fine. Just ten minutes, like Mum said.



















Whatever I told myself, it felt weird to have this stranger in my house. It didn’t feel right.









Gary was exactly as I’d pictured him in my mind. He was tall with dark brown hair, in clothes that weren’t quite casual but weren’t smart either. He looked like a giant compared to Mum, even though he wasn’t that big. Just average height, really. Mum was just small, I guess. Barely taller than me.
























“Hi,” he said. His adam’s apple bobbed in his throat.























I threw a wave in his general direction, then seated myself at the table. Mum looked half-amused, half-agonized. I wasn’t even trying to be rude, but what else was there to be said?



He was a thief and we both knew it. Why should I be nice? I was only here to stop Mum from being totally humiliated, though she didn’t really deserve nice treatment, either.








“Nice grub,” I said pleasantly, tucking into the chicken. It was smooth and cooked all the way through.

































I had a plan forming in my mind. If Gary dumped Mum because of me, then he was a coward and a loser. If he tolerated my behaviour, then he wasn’t a complete creep. We’d both know by the end of the evening. Maybe I ought to stick around longer than dinner after all, I mused thoughtfully.


























Mum and Gary had evidently decided that standing around awkwardly watching me eat was not a good idea, so they sat down too. I smiled in a way that really wasn’t friendly at all.







“So how’s life?” I asked Gary – nicely enough, I’d thought, so why was Mum frowning at me?







































“So-so,” Gary said with a half-smile. “Work’s interesting enough.” He caught Mum’s eye and they shared a laugh.































My stomach turned over. Was he trying to be funny? Because that was just…wrong.






I really didn’t need to know how they flirted at work, how they had met and become sweethearts. In fact, I’d forgotten all about that, consumed with anger as I had been.












I shuddered. “Please. Stop talking.”






















Gary chuckled as Mum cast him a gaze not unlike the ones I’d often seen on Maddy’s face when she looked at Frankie.




























Great. Fine by me. So she was in the blissful blossoms of early love? Who cared?








I ate the rest of the meal in silence. The meat was becoming surprisingly hard to swallow, but I put that down to the horrible lump in my throat. Maybe I was getting a cough?








Who knew?

























“I’m going to my room,” I said in a half-choked voice once I was done. My chair scraped harshly on the wooden floor as I got up.























“OK, sweetheart,” Mum said, but she was looking at Gary. Smiling at him; her eyes bright and shiny and lost in a world I didn’t know.




















It was only once I was in my room that I realized there was no hope. That it was already too late, and there was nothing I could do about it.























I had realized something else, too. Another reason I was so lonely, so disappointed.














I wished I could be in love, too.


























How sad was that?

I was not looking forward to school on Monday morning.















All weekend, I had ingnored every text, every call from my friends. Especially Maddy’s.





That was just how it was.


























I rolled out of bed, wishing more than ever I could lie in till late afternoon. But I couldn’t. And anyway, did I really want to hang around here to listen to Mum gushing about Gary to her friend Sue again? The thought wasn’t bearable in my mind, which was pretty cut up at the moment. I didn’t trust anything anymore.






















Fiercely, with new determination, I pulled on my school clothes and brushed my hair even when it crackled from over-use. Then I took the two front curls of hair and pinned them back in a plait. The rest I left loose and wild in a flow down my chest and back.












I slung my rucksack on one drooping shoulder and walked to the kitchen. Mum had toast and jam all ready. Maybe she was finally acknowledging my existence.












“Thanks,” I said with a small note of petulance in my voice she didn’t hear.











“So what do you think about Gary?” Mum asked for the thousandth time. Her face was eager and stripped of make-up, so she could have been my big sister telling me about her first boyfriend.




























He wasn’t, of course. Dad had been. Or someone before that or…what did it matter?








“He’s alright,” I said, though in my head he had transformed into this horrible creep intent on muscling in on our lives. Which was what he was, obviously.
















“He’s great!” Mum said dreamily. “Once you two get to know each other properly, you’ll like him, I promise. He thinks you’re funny.”



















“How lovely of him,” I said. Like I was supposed to be grateful! And funny hadn’t been my intention – I had sounded rude because that was how I had really felt. Gary could pretend all he liked, but I was never going to get to know him.




















I missed my bus again as I scuttled down the road. Oh well. Maybe this way I’d avoid Gabby and Jason. As for Maddy…she always took the late bus, sometimes with Frankie. Damn them.



























Moodily, I scuffed the ground under my feet. Why did it get to be so permanent and emotionless?






























Then I caught myself, because there was nothing worse than being jealous of concrete.









My bus came five minutes later, which wasn’t bad compared to the other day. I tried to be optimistic. Maybe the day would turn out OK.






















But even as I thought the words, I knew they wouldn’t come true. Life just wasn’t that easy.




And it was full of irony.


























I trudged into school, my head down in case I saw anyone I knew. I couldn’t be bothered with polite conversation today, so why even try?


































I was here before the care taker like I always was. The school was dull and spooky without the usual rush of students, but in a way it was oddly comforting too. To be alone on the outside too.































I hummed under my breath as I walked. A stupid nursery rhyme. So maybe I was crazy. And maybe that was okay. Better crazy than face the idea Gary might just be a permanent figure in my life. Better crazy than face the idea I may no longer have a best friend.












Students started to fill the school as the clock struck eight thirty. And maybe I really would have that heart attack because my chest was banging away again. Loud enough I was sure the nearest year seven could hear it.
























When the bell rang, I was already halfway up the stairs to form. Early, again.It was weird. At school I was the perfect goody-two-shoes, turning up on time for everything, sometimes before. But at home – with my friends – I was a whirlwind of fear and hope and passion and anger. Combine that with a desire to win; to have fun, and you had disaster girl no1. The original.

































“On time again, I see,” my form tutor said, surveying me through flashing glasses. I looked away and took my seat at the back. Hopefully Maddy would ditch her usual seat and sit down next to Frankie instead.























She didn’t.
































She flopped down beside me with an expression I knew well. The one that said she knew I was pissed off, but we were going to talk anyway. It was a look only best friends could understand.
















































“So come on, Eve,” she said with none of her usual glamour. “How did it go?”















“How did what go?” I said absentmindedly, fixing a strap on my rucksack.












“Get real,” she said. “You know exactly what I’m talking about.”












“Leave me alone,” I said simply.























“No,” she said.

































“Oh well, I’ll just ignore you, then,” I said, bringing out Much Ado About Nothing.







Maddy batted it away. “Forget that stupid play,” she said. “Now how did it go?”














I picked it up and resumed my reading, starting with the cast characters. What odd names they had, even for the sixteenth century or whenever it was set in.












“Eve, you can’t ignore me forever,” she said, and yep, her teeth were definitely gritted. I smiled to myself as I turned the page.

























“Hey,” Gabby said brightly, slipping into the seat next to Maddy. Then she looked at me. “You didn’t reply to any of my texts!”




































“That’s because she’s gone on a friends strike, apparently,” Maddy said with a raise of her perfectly plucked eyebrows.
































“What are you talking about?” Gabby said, her eyes flitting from girl to girl.

























































“I don’t know – ask her,” Maddy said pointedly.

















“Eve?” Gabby said.



























The bell for first lesson rang. Quickly, I gathered my stuff and swiftly departed. Science was first, of course. It was either that or Maths, every single day. It was hard to decide which I hated more; school or home or maybe even hanging out with friends.













And yeah, that was really depressing.































“The history of rocks will be today’s topic,” our science teacher said cheerfully as we all sat down. I took a seat next to Jason, where neither Gabby or Maddy or Frankie could get me.








Could he have picked a more boring subject? Apparently not.


















My thoughts drifted towards the final battle round as he droned on. How were we going to make it at this rate? I had the song, but our friendship had all but melted away. I had always known, all along, that unity had been just that little bit more important than talent in our band. It was how we all functioned, how we worked together, how we performed. It was, it struck me, everything.








































“So, not talking to anyone, are you?” Jason said, and I couldn’t work out whether he was going to give me a lecture or if I had finally found someone who understood, just for a second, of what it felt like to be someone like me. It was shallow and selfish, I knew that, but I had abandoned all thoughts of the old me at this point. All my life, I had looked after others. So well that I hadn’t noticed they weren’t looking after me back.



















Now, with my distractions out, I was forced to admit nobody really knew me at all.








“I just want a break, to be honest,” I said truthfully. “It’s all a bit of a handful, you know?”






Jason nodded. “The pressure of being our chief songwriter getting to you?” he said, like he had already decided what it was.


























“No, actually,” I said a little stiffly. “If you must know, I’ve done the last song already.”









“Then what is it?” he said, his head cocked to one side. Was he curious, prying – or concerned?


















































“I don’t know,” I said. “Mum’s got a new boyfriend and Maddy’s getting on my nerves – that’s about it. Sounds like a bit of a crap excuse, doesn’t it?”













“Not really,” he said. “It just isn’t like you to lose patience.”














I sighed. Really, Jason had no idea. I was losing patience with everything.









For a moment, I considered telling him this. Considered telling him how scared, how lost I always felt. How everyone was being taken away from me, mostly by boyfriends, one by one. How I couldn’t even trust my best friend.

























But I didn’t.






























“Just having a bad day,” I said brightly. “That’s all.”




























Then the teacher moved on to his next stage of boredom, and we lapsed into companionable silence again. Maybe after a lifetime of Maddy, a quiet person was who I wanted to be around these days. With quiet people, it was easier to think, to be an equal. Loud people always took the attention back to themselves.




























After another lesson had gone by, I tripped out of the school building and sat down on the bench by a tree trunk. It was a peaceful morning, with the endless rustle of leaves blowing in the wind.































The peace didn’t last, however. I soon found myself cornered – and outnumbered.








“Right, are we going to have this out or what?” Maddy said, crossing her arms. Jason, Gabby and Frankie stood over us like watchful birds. They kind of reminded me of vultures, swooping and waiting for death.




























Maybe that was a mean analogy.




























“I’m busy,” I said shortly.


























“Doing what?” Maddy said at once.






















“Listening to nature,” I said. “Not that I would expect you to understand.”















“What do you even mean?” she said, flicking her hair out of her face. “What are you going on about?”




































I gave a superior smile, knowing this would infuriate her further. Maddy, the girl used to getting exactly what she wanted. Well, maybe now she’d learn to consider the lives of others. I’d thought about what it would be like to be someone like her a thousand times. But then I thought of how empty girls like her could be and counted my few stars I had been born unlucky.































“Just go away,” I said firmly. “I’ll speak to you at band practice, OK?”












“I didn’t even think you were going,” Maddy said in a surprised voice.











“Well, maybe I like being unpredictable,” I said, and Jason, Gabby and Frankie laughed.




“This isn’t funny,” Maddy said. “You’re being such a bitch today, Eve.”










“Sound familiar?” I said teasingly.























“Just shut up,” Maddy said, fighting back harder. “You only care about yourself, don’t you? You don’t care that other people have stuff going on, too. I had a big falling out with my Dad yesterday and –”




























“You spoilt, selfish little rich girl,” I got out. “Are you listening to yourself? What happened – did Daddy refuse to buy you a pretty pink dress?”


















Maddy’s face flushed a hot pink.
























“It’s not my fault your own Dad didn’t want you,” she said.














A cold, horrible feeling was spreading in my chest. I knew I should cry now, but somehow, I couldn’t get out the tears.






















My eyes burned instead. “You don’t know anything about it,” I said in a voice so low she could hardly hear it. “I haven’t even told you what really happened with my Dad – and you know why? Because you’re so self-centred you didn’t even bother to ask!” I stood up, my hair fizzing with adrenaline. “So thanks for telling me I’m so useless my Dad left me. Thanks for being such a great friend.”


























I was crying now; small tears; tears that dug like needles into my skin. I blinked back salty shame and walked away from my best friend, because the truth was, she wasn’t my best friend at all.

I skipped band practice, of course.
























There didn’t seem any point in going. Not anymore.

















Instead I lolled around my house, doing late homework assignments and staring at the ceiling like there were stars in my bedroom.

























































Something had hardened inside me, and I didn’t think there was any going back. As soon as she said the words…I had just iced up. Froze. Because really, ten years had meant nothing to her in the end.

























I could still feel her voice in my ear, whispering the words I hated.














“You’re being such a bitch today, Eve.”
























“You only care about yourself, don’t you?”




















“It’s not my fault your own Dad didn’t want you.”
















I curled up at the end of my bed and wished I could be somebody else.












Anybody. Anybody had to be better than me.





















I looked down at my maths sheet, disgusted, and aimed it in the nearby direction of the bin. It missed; sailing onto the rough carpet below. Oh, the irony.


















Mum had noticed nothing. She skipped around the house like there was no tomorrow, all smiles and rosy cheeks and phone calls I didn’t think had anything to do with work at all.






She was in love. And I no longer had a best friend.





















Of all the crap I had taken off her over the years, this had to be the worst. Well, not anymore. I didn’t want to be in Maddy’s shadow anymore, even if it meant giving up everything. Even if it meant tossing away a decade like it didn’t matter.
















Even if it meant…no, I couldn’t sacrifice the final – could I?





























To be honest, I didn’t know what I would do. My so-called friend had implied all the things I had always known about myself, but didn’t quite want to confront. That I was useless, rejected, horrible. That nobody really cared about me. That I was alone. That my life – my friendships, my family – were worth nothing. Because Maddy had trampled over everything in her expensive black school shoes, and I couldn’t shift the hurt away from me.
















She had betrayed me. Well, I hadn’t seen that one coming.






















On Tuesday morning, I got up deliberately late for school. Late enough that I wouldn’t see any of my friends, and I’d only just get to form on time. It was perfect. And I would find a new seat, obviously.
































I left my house with just over fifteen minutes to spare, and made it in record time. Students were already running up the stairs to avoid the terrible wrath of the second bell, a grenade primed to give them detentions. I wasn’t so hurried; I simply walked up the steps like I was early again, and walked into class without knocking.


















There was only one spare seat – at the front. Great. Par-tay with the form tutor.










She tutted as she surveyed me. “Almost late,” she said as though tasting the words.












“Well, I’m not so can we just leave it at that?” I said, pulling out Much Ado About Nothing.







My form tutor’s lips twitched into a smile; and it was like watching an expanding elastic band.


























“We shall,” she said quietly, and left me be after that.












The bell rang again soon after my arrival – and for once I was grateful for being at the front because it meant I could make a swift exit. Not swift enough, however.















“Wait up a sec,” Maddy’s boyfriend said.






















I whirled round to face him.
























“What do you want?” I said without a trace of emotion in my voice.











“Can we just talk?” he said hopelessly.





















Talk. It was an interesting word. Because so far, where had talking got me?











I had been wrong before. It was best to stay silent.




















Because other people, they didn’t really want to hear your problems. They wanted everything to be bright and happy and all about them, and when it came down to it, they didn’t care, whatever they said.




























Maddy didn’t care. And nor did the only boy I had ever kissed.
















The truth was…they only wanted me to talk to them again so they could have my song. Because they knew that without it, not only would they be missing a member, but they would be unoriginal too. And they wouldn’t win. I mean, you actually had to perform something to win, didn’t you? I had always thought so.






























Or maybe they thought it was enough to stand around like an Eye Candy tribute band. Who knew?


























And it would work so much better now I wasn’t in the band.
















“Talk about what?” I said. “There’s nothing left to discuss.”




















“That’s not fair,” Frankie said. “Look, I know you’re pissed off with Maddy, but the rest of us didn’t do anything.”































“Yeah…but the problem is, she just happens to be in the band – Teen Dream or whatever stupid name her brain cells came up with – so sorry, but that’s just the way it is,” I said, waiting to see what he would do next. Hopefully, he would run off screaming like a girl. Or decide I was a bitch not worth sticking around, and move on to another.















Preferably Maddy.





























“What about the competition?” he said thickly. “Don’t you care?”















For just a second, the mask slipped. Yes, I did care. I cared more than anything.











But wasn’t dignity worth more than desire?






























And wasn’t friendship more important than winning?


























Because if Maddy was no longer my friend, then I couldn’t say I wanted to share the same breathing space as her, let alone studio. It was no use. I was done pretending. Couldn’t he see that?







































So yeah, I was the bad guy.



























“Sorry, Frankie,” I said calmly. “But you don’t know me very well if you think I can fake it till I make it. That might be Maddy’s style, but it isn’t me. Not anymore – and you know what? It never really was. I just went along with it.”

















It didn’t matter what he shouted after me, because I was already gone.
*































I got away with it before lunch time.























I was finally allowed to be alone – finally free from the yells of my ex-friends – the cold stares and the unsettling stab of failure. In fact, it was all going great before Gabby intervened.




































































My last lesson before lunch was English – which was good for me, because we were studying Much Ado About Nothing and I had read it ten times. The teacher was very impressed with my work.

































There was no need to tell her I knew the play backwards.
























It was only Jason in my English class, and that was okay. He didn’t say anything and anyway, talking to me was impossible because we were separated by a wall of seven students.








Like I said, it was all going perfectly.






















The problem was it didn’t last.




























I was sitting by my usual tree trunk at Lunch when Gabby flopped down beside me. I didn’t say anything for a while, and neither did she. We just sat in silence. I thought about relocating, but that seemed a little extreme even for me.

















“So you’re not talking to me now either?” she said eventually, a sigh in her voice.








Well, I’d talk to them if they stopped trying to make me talk to my ex-best-friend.











I didn’t say this to Gabby, though. Because she, like everyone else, no longer understood me.









I didn’t blame her. I didn’t understand me either.
























I had thought the band was my dream like everyone else, but it had turned out that wasn’t real, either.






































For a moment, I cast my eye back to all the times we had performed together. I had been scared but…it had been the best feeling in the world.






















Who needed drugs and alcohol when you had that kind of buzz from stage?








Not anymore. I guessed now was the time to start visiting alcohol dependency units ahead of time.











































“What do you want, Gabby?” I said after a long pause.




















If she was taken aback, or scared off, she didn’t say.



























“I want us to be a band again,” she said.





























“Well, I want my Mum to win 61 million on the lotto, but that’s never going to happen, is it?” I said, and frowned when Gabby laughed.






















“Can you at least talk to me?” she said, peeking up at me through round brown eyes.








No way. I was not about to be manipulated by -





















“Yeah, alright,” I sighed. “As long as you don’t talk too much.”


















“Great!” she said happily. Well, that made one of us.



















I kicked a nearby stone in my path. It rolled right along the concrete and landed by a familiar pair of shoes. Shiny black, expensive shoes.





































I said nothing. Gabby waited in apparent hope.


















Maddy was chewing on her lip. “Can we talk?” she said.















“Look where that got us yesterday,” I said coldly, meeting her tired blue eyes with defiance.





Ignoring this sentence, my ex-ex-best-friend sat down next to me, long blonde hair fanning out in front of her. She looked at me for a second before she spoke.















“You know I don’t do the whole grovel thing,” she started to say, but I was already way ahead of her.























“Bye, then,” I said cheerfully, and stood up. Maddy caught my arm before I could skip away.





I stared at her.



































“Give me five minutes,” she said.





























“What, so you can insult me again?” I said with a laugh that wasn’t real. “So you can tell me I’m a heartless bitch again – or maybe so you can tell me my Dad never wanted me?”











There was a sharp, painful silence, the only sound being Gabby letting out another exasperated groan. Then -

































“I didn’t mean it, okay?” she sounded angry now. “I was just upset, and you were being –”








“Honest?” I said, a hint of challenge in my otherwise neutral tone. “Honest for once in my life? And you couldn’t handle that?”






























“Is that what you really think of me?” she said in such a small voice even I had to listen. “That I’m just a stupid, spoiled little rich girl?”


























“Something along those lines,” I said, because if she thought she could win me round with a little bit more of Maddy-charm, then she was wrong.
















Maybe it was time she learned she couldn’t always get exactly what she wanted. It had been coming for a while, I thought. This.






















“Eve, please,” she said. “Just listen. I wasn’t used to you being like that, telling me exactly what you thought of me. Is that what it’s all been, then? A lie?”













“You tell me,” I said, because that was what I was beginning to wonder myself.















If our whole friendship had meant nothing. If it really took one horrible argument to split us at the seams. How could something so solid be shattered with a few carefully chosen words?




Why were friendships just not that easy to fix?





















Because, deep down, I didn’t want to leave the band, stop being friends with everyone. But Maddy’s words had cut me deep. I didn’t know if I could ever truly forgive her.










Because now…well, I’d always be wondering what she really thought of me too, wouldn’t I?





“I can’t be your lapdog anymore,” I said, and as the sentence formed on the tip of my tongue, I knew it was true.


























“I never wanted you to be,” Maddy said, her expression bewildered. “You never were – you were always my best friend, okay?”


































“No, I wasn’t,” I said, a wobble in my voice. “Because guess what, Maddy? Best friends are equal.”






























“We were,” she said. “We were, Eve! The truth is…you were just better at it than I was.”






I looked at her for traces of malice; of manipulation or lies or persuasion. I saw only what Maddy had maybe been thinking after all.
































Sometimes, you really can get people wrong. We had both made that mistake.












But was this a mistake we could both make right?
















As I looked at the girl I had always labelled perfect, I saw that maybe everyone says things they don’t mean, sometimes. And maybe everyone deserves a second chance.










“I guess we were both pretty crap,” I said, and then the three of us were laughing.










We didn’t say sorry. We didn’t say we had messed up. But what we didn’t say…it made up for everything.




























Maddy wasn’t perfect. And I wasn’t either.



















And for once, maybe…maybe that was okay.

Band practice. One thing I hadn’t missed.






















The gruelling hours…the sore throat…the bang of instruments. It was all too familiar in the weeks to come before the final.























But, for some reason, my fellow band mates had really taken to this song. Maybe it was the tune or the title, but it had a kind of ring to it. Apparently.



















“I love this song!” Maddy kept saying, because she may or may not have still been trying to make up for the other day. But that was all water under the bridge now…kind of.







Forgetting isn’t as easy as forgiving. And sometimes you never quite get there. But like I said…nothing’s perfect, and it was time we both woke up and accepted that.









“Get over it and practise,” I said, and we both shoved each other and giggled – only to be confronted by our three furious friends, who demanded we get back to work now.





Well, all was fair in work and war.
























“Sing it,” I said to Maddy and Gabby, who moaned. Well, they wanted to win, didn’t they?






“Yeah, listen up, soldiers,” Frankie said. “Commander Forrest has given her orders.”





“Oh, shut up!” I whacked him with my song lyrics. That had to hurt.












“Hey, that hurt!” he said predictably.























I rolled my eyes.
































Jason banged his drums loudly – his own way of giving us a kick up the backside, I supposed. So this time the four of us sighed and went back to work.

















“Small word, small kiss, small piece of love,” Maddy sang over and over to herself.








“What’s up?” I said, wondering why she was still stuck in the beginning.








“I can’t get it right,” Maddy said irritably. “And I have to be word perfect before the final.”






“We’ve still got ages,” her boyfriend said with a lazy grin. “Haven’t we, Eve?”







“Whatever you say,” I said a little sarcastically.


















It wasn’t like I hated Frankie. Not really. But there are some people in life who do not get the meaning of ‘no distractions’. He was one of those people.















We worked damn hard at it, though. Considering this was our second last ever rehersal. That felt really strange…because for so long, our lives had been building up to this point.







What would happen once it was over? Would life slowly return to normal? Would we get nowhere?

























And could a small-time band from London really make it in the world?














I had no idea. Nobody did.



























After band practice was over, we went to the new milkshake bar – Strawberry Wishes – which brought back some memories. But I tried not to think about that.
















I decided to order vanilla this time around, just for something familiar, I think. Maddy got strawberry (like the sign), Frankie got banana (like the monkey he was) and Jason and Gabby each got a chocolate (like the married partners they were). Insults out of the way, we were now free to chat – and scream – at the idea of the final.

















The final!



































“I have nightmares,” Maddy said, her eyes wide. “Terrible, terrible nightmares.”












I spat out my vanilla milkshake, but soon saw she wasn’t joking. Oops. Still, the others were having a hard time keeping a straight face, too, so I wasn’t all bad.












“What kind of nightmares?” Frankie managed to choke out. Gabby, Jason and I spluttered but quickly turned our sniggers into hasty coughs when Maddy glared.















“Oh, they’re awful,” she said, putting a hand on her heart. “We’re all on stage and – and then my skirt falls down and I’m half-naked!”























“Ah, the old nude dream,” Jason said wisely. “Wish I had fallen asleep for that.”










Maddy chucked the rest of her milkshake at him (just missing), but you could tell she was flattered. After all, what girl wouldn’t want to appear naked in the nightmare (or should I say dream) or a hormonal teenage boy who wasn’t her boyfriend?












“Watch yourself, mate,” Frankie said in a hard-man voice. “I don’t want you getting ideas.” His arm curled around Maddy’s, and we all laughed except Jason, who actually looked quite scared. Like he was in a real nightmare now. Well, serve him right. And what about poor Gabby, the love of his life? OK, so they weren’t actually together but really, everyone was waiting for the moment. Weirdly enough.






















“Putting aside dreams…what happens if we actually win?” I said.















We all paused to consider this remarkable idea. Put simply, that was our goal.











Reaching it…that was another thing.























But if we did win? If we actually did win it would be the best thing that had ever happened to any of us. Ever.



























The chance to record a song in a studio…to be a proper band…it would be living the dream, wouldn’t it?




























And it meant I wouldn’t have to be around all the time when Gary wormed his way in further. It was perfect.





































But the thing with dreams…they were so slippery. Always just out of reach – painfully, tantalisingly out of reach.





































Or were they?































“It would be astronomical,” Jason said to fill the awed silence.


















Gabby poked him. “Talk sensibly! It would be…”





















“Mega dope,” Frankie said, and we all laughed until our stomachs hurt. (Well, until my stomach hurt).




































When we were done with the milkshakes, we started to head off in our separate directions, knowing the last time we met before the final that would be it. Our last chance to get it right.




And somehow, we had to.
*


The last ever band practice – it sounded better than it should have.
















I knew this was the crucial bit before the big scary final, but all I could seem to feel was relief. Relief all those work-filled hours were coming to an end, and we would finally be free.



Unless, of course, we won.

























In which case, we wouldn’t mind the extra workload. Either way.















Maddy was singing with fresh determination into her mini microphone, although you’d have thought all the practising would take away any new creativity. Apparently not.









Gabby was going over her harmonies one more time before she launched into the song at full pelt, and Jason and Frankie were tirelessly playing their instruments.












Me? I was perched over the worktop, scanning the lines yet again. You’d have thought I’d have been used to singing my own songs by this point, but apparently not either.









“When are you actually going to join in?” Maddy said after it became clear my eyes were closed behind the sheet. An old sneaky trick that had worked for a little while, and more than once.











































I shrugged. “I’m just…soaking up the atmosphere,” I said, knowing she’d spot the lazy lie.




“Yeah right,” Maddy pulled me down from the table. “Now take this mike and start singing like you’ve never sung before!”




















So I did, and it was definitely an improvement on the whole sleep thing. But when things started to get that repetitive…well, you became glad this practice was the last.










“I’m soooooooooooo bloody bored,” I said after another twenty minutes of this. “Can’t we do something else?”








































“No way,” Maddy said firmly. “I’m sorry, Eve, but sometimes in life, you don’t get what you want.”

































Right – that was it!






























I launched myself at my new old best friend and soon we were both fighting on the floor; me pulling her hair and her slapping my face. Which really hurt, by the way.











Eventually, just when the fight was starting to include fingernails, the others wadded in and pulled us apart. They were no fun – we were just messing around.












“Wow,” Frankie said once we were both in dignified positions again. “That was really mature.”































“Well, I don’t expect you to understand,” Maddy told her boyfriend scathingly. “You’re just a simple-minded boy!”



























“So there!” I added.



















































“Hey, enough of the simple-minded!” Frankie said furiously. “And that was really sexist, Maddy – and childish, Eve.”

























We shrugged.





























Why deny what we all knew was true?
































































“Can we all just get back to work PLEASE,” Gabby said above all the noise. Her eyebrows were knitted together into a frown; her lips pressed together. She looked like our form tutor, only with a kinder face.



























“Sorry, Gabz,” Maddy said, linking her arm. “We promise to work from now on – don’t we, Eve?”


































“Yeah,” I said unconvincingly. “We promise, Gabby.”




























































But we were as good as our word. Gooder. In fact, we practised until Jason’s drums had been hit so many times they echoed around the large garage long after he had put his sticks down.



That was what dedicated, win-worthy people we were.

















And that concluded my speech.




















































“I’m so tired,” Maddy said, pressing a finger into her temple.


















“We’re all tired,” I said, a second before Frankie stole my lyrics sheet from the worktop, where it had been abandoned earlier. “Hey! Give that back!”













“I’m only having a look,” he said defensively. “And it’s really good, by the way.”








He thought it was really good???


























All thoughts of anger melted to gratitude. He hadn’t sounded like he was lying. So maybe just this once it wasn’t so crap after all.
























I looked over at him as he studied it, waiting to get it back. But Frankie kept on holding it like he was trying to work something out. I didn’t take it back. I’ll admit, I was curious.









While I waited, I started quietly singing with the others as Jason’s drums crashed to the beat, making my voice gradually build up until it was even and smooth, in tune with Maddy and Gabby. But still Frankie did not speak.



















I hummed under my breath as afternoon darkened into evening, and cast my eyes to the floor, still going over the lines in my head.





















Eventually Frankie looked up, face bright like he’d just received the best news ever. Which was really infuriating.




























“Hey, guys,” he said, clapping his hands for silence. “I have an idea.”











We were all watching him now; watching to see how it would all pan out. He still had that ridiculous mysterious smirk on his face, like he knew something we didn’t. Like he had just found hidden treasure or won a music competition.

















In his dreams.



























“How would all of you feel about re-naming the band?” he said eagerly, his face lit with ideals we couldn’t understand. Not yet. And not ever if he didn’t learn to get on with it.








“What?” Jason said. “To what? Are we even allowed –”












“Yeah, I think so,” Frankie said with a slight frown – but he was soon smiling again as he went on. “I think we should name the band after Eve’s song.”














“I’m sorry – what?” I said. He couldn’t be serious. Name our band after my crappy song? What universe was he breathing on if he thought there was any way in hell I would ever let that happen?


























“Just listen to me,” Frankie said. “I think it would be perfect. We’re always singing about lost love, right?”





























Reluctant agreement.


























“And what is the name of Eve’s last song?” he said, his eyes green and searching mine.



“Blue Kiss,” I whispered. “It’s called Blue Kiss.”



















“Perfect,” Frankie said, and his eyes said more than his mouth ever would. Well, they had told their own story once upon a kiss.
























So that was it. We were Blue Kiss.























And nothing had ever felt so right.

I woke up early on the day of the final.



































Head heavy, heart jarring in my chest, breaths slow but strangely even.














All was quiet in my house. I tiptoed out of bed and silently made my way to the kitchen, hoping hot chocolate and marshmallows would cheer me up. And maybe a sprinkling of sugar.






























As I made the drink, I tried to direct my thoughts away from the competition – but as that led mostly to thinking about how Frankie had named our band after my song, it seemed I had no choice but to despair. Either way, we’d know in a matter of hours. Winner was crowned at the end of the day.



























I took the last three marshmallows from Mum’s packet (hoping it really was a lucky number) and tipped them into my steaming mug. It looked good.
















So good that within ten minutes my lips were coated in a foamy moustache, but I thought it gave me an edgy look. Eve, the thirteen-year-old girl with upper lip hair made entirely of cream.
































OK, maybe I was going crazy now. If so, I hoped it would happen soon. Preferably before our band performed.



























I dumped my cup in the sink and padded back to bed. It was still dark outside, though it must have been at least 5am. I sunk back under my covers and soon found myself falling into a deep, dreamless sleep…


























“WAKE UP!”

























That was the first thing I was aware of. A voice, screaming in my ear. Or maybe not screaming. More like yelling. I rolled over in bed.


















“Darling, it’s time to get up.”


























“Leave me alone,” I said vaguely, head under the pillow.



















“Ok,” Mum said through what I imagined was tight lips. “I’ll leave it up to you to tell your friends why you haven’t made the coach, shall I?”



















“Oh, alright,” I sat up a little dizzily. Head rush.



















“Are you changing here or at the arena?” Mum asked.


















“What?” I said, still stupefied by sleep. “Oh, right. At the arena, I think. Maddy wants to do my hair the same as hers again.”























“Well, I’ve laid out a top and jeans,” Mum said before she left.















I wriggled out of the soft covers. It was now or never. And she was right – I was too much of a coward to dare tell my friends I couldn’t be bothered to make their dreams come true.







I dragged my body through the clothes, brushed my hair (though Maddy would soon sort that) and took my rucksack and me to the kitchen. Mum was making me something that smelled of honey and lemon. My mouth watered at the taste in the air.











“It’s pancakes,” Mum said in answer to the expression on my face.











Wow, I must’ve looked hungry.

























Mum set down a hot plate of round little pieces of heaven, smiling when I dug in. What, wasn’t I allowed to abandon manners on a day like this?






















Lemon and honey melted onto my tongue, and for a few moments, I thought I must be dead. Or that there was no competition. That this was just another day – a good day.








Beep, beep.































I sighed and took out my phone. It seemed the outside world wouldn’t let me forget my dream in a hurry.





























My dream. What did it really mean when it came down to it?


















Am coming to your house in ten. Maddy.























Huh? She was inviting herself over at short notice? What a nerve. Still, I couldn’t help grinning at the thought. I just hoped Mum wouldn’t mind – because if she did, I might not get more of where that stuff came from. My stomach rumbled as I thought about it, though it was almost full.

























Almost. I hated that word.


























So annoying.






































As promised, Maddy was here at ten. I spotted her face in the glass straight away, though maybe this was because she had it pressed up against it.
















I opened the door so quickly she nearly fell backwards – instead grabbing my shoulders, so I buckled over. We giggled and went to the kitchen, where Mum had prepared another round of breakfast for us both.

























“You could at least give me some kind of warning next time,” I said as my best friend speared another pancake with her fork.






























“Sorry,” Maddy wiped a dot of lemon from her chin. “But I didn’t want to risk you refusing. Besides – it’s pancake day!” she laughed, ignoring Mum’s fake frown of disapproval. Maddy had been around so long it was almost as though she was one of those really annoying cousins who never went away.




























Come to think of it, there were more where she came from. Frankie Jones, for example…







“I’m so…excited,” Maddy said.
























That wasn’t the word I’d use. OK, so I was kind of buzzed, but I suspected my adrenaline was mostly made of fear.




























“That’s good,” Mum said. “Just think about enjoying yourself, not about winning.”





I groaned. Typical parent talk! She wanted me to win almost as much as I wanted me to win.





“Mum, it’s about winning,” I said. Maddy sniggered.


















Mum shook her head. “It’s better to lose and have enjoyed yourself than to win and have not.”










































“How about both?” I said sceptically.


































Mum shrugged. “You can try,” she said. “I just don’t think it should be your main priority.”


“Good point, Mrs Forrest,” Maddy said as I glared at her.


















“I’ve never been a Mrs, dear,” Mum told her.
























How embarrassing. Did she really have to mention it?






















Maddy clapped a hand over her mouth. “Oh, I’m sorry! Still, you never know,” she gave me a wink, and I suddenly thought of Gary and felt cold with horror.




















Mum wouldn’t marry Gary would she? She might.























But she couldn’t. Besides, everyone would make fun of her, because Gary rhymed with marry.


























But something deep in my heart told me that wouldn’t stop her. How did the old child’s rhyme go, again? First comes marriage…



























“Your face!” Maddy said. “I was just kidding, Eve. Relax.”



















But, where she couldn’t see, Mum blushed.

























“Let’s go,” I said five minutes later. “We’re going to miss our coach.”










“Granted,” Maddy said, and we pushed aside our plates and stood up. “Bye, Miss Forrest,” she added.Mum called goodbye back, gave me a quick hug, and then we were gone. She couldn’t escort me to the coach personally because she had some work stuff to sort out, but I felt loneliner than ever even with Maddy by my side.










































The coach was parked by the side of the road, as it had been the last two times. It loomed, huge and white and gleaming, waiting for us.
















We, for the first time in living memory, were early. Well, before the others, anyway, and that in itself was an achievement. But where were those lazy bones? I was starting to get edgy. Suppose they had bailed? I had certainly thought of doing just that only this morning.







No. They wouldn’t. Would they?




























The question was answered for us when our last three band mates skipped up to the coach, grinning like they didn’t have a care in the world. Hello, they had almost made us late for the final!






























“Where have you been?” Maddy said immediately. “You guys are almost late.”








Almost, almost, almost. But not quite.


















“Well, we’re on time, aren’t we?” Frankie said in his most charming voice, and they were soon kissing. Traitor! I meant Maddy, of course.























“Sorry,” a pink-cheeked Gabby said. “But we had to get these off my Mum.” She held up a pretty dull-looking plastic bag. One peek inside told me what she meant.






In the bag were five printed t-shirts: each one identical except for the name tags on top. In dark lettering were the words ‘Blue Kiss’, with a shaded-in kiss mark below. And above the words, in glittery writing, was one name for each person. Eve, Maddy, Frankie, Jason and Gabby. They were perfect.



























“Wow, these are amazing,” I said in an astonished voice, and even Maddy untangled herself from Frankie to look. “Your Mum is so talented!”























“She’s an artist,” Gabby said shyly.

























The five of us stepped onto the coach with raw determination. We had been re-branded, re-labelled…but had we made ourselves good enough to beat all competition? Well, we had survived to the final against all the odds, and that had to count for something. We had to go out fighting.



























Or we didn’t deserve to win.

























Throughout the journey, we babbled on about mindless things, and nobody mentioned our final performance. I was glad.


































“Pass me an apple,” Maddy said.

























“Cheek! You stole my pancakes this morning!” I said indignantly.
















“Pass me an apple, Eve,” Maddy said in a threatening voice.












“Not as long as we both shall live!” I threw the apples and they landed on at Frankie’s feet. He looked at them curiously before casually kicking them aside.













“Oops,” I said, trying to sound remorseful. But you know what? I had never been much of a liar.































“You did that on purpose,” Frankie said. “Didn’t you?”



















Do not crack under pressure, I thought. And why should I? I was innocent.









“I’m innocent,” I insisted.






















“Until proven guilty,” Jason added, and I nodded in confirmation.













Frankie’s eyes narrowed like tent slits but there wasn’t anything he could say against me. I had a great defence lawyer.

























“Right, everyone off,” the drive shouted from down the bus. “Come on, kids, off!”










We gathered our bags (or rucksacks) and trudged off the coach like we were facing eternal doom. Well, something like that.























The building was as I had remembered; big and silver and intimidating. I wanted to shrink back and run onto the coach, back to London. But I couldn’t. I was here. We were here.





Instead I grabbed Maddy’s hand and we ran in like wild turkeys, shrieking and pushing each other and laughing. We registered our names, our group, and found the girls’ changing rooms.

































We had to wait for Gabby to bring our t-shirts, of course, so we only got half-changed, so we were partly casual partly in stage wear. Then she came running in, garbling something about having to give the boys theirs first.






















“Ooh, did you go in their changing room?” Maddy asked eagerly.









Gabby cheeks didn’t lose their pink. “No,” she said stoutly. “No, I didn’t.”











After we had all changed into our new t-shirts, ruffled skirts and glittery black shoes, we started on our hair. Identical, tied up like ballet dancers or swans with our exposed necks.





“Beautiful,” Maddy said as we all smiled into the mirror.





















We each put on different flavour lipstick; Maddy’s pink, Gabby’s rosy peach and mine red. We were dressed, made up, sorted, and there was only one thing left to do.











Linking arms, we left the changing room. Jason and Frankie were leaning against the radiator outside, each pretending to smoke a cigarette. We laughed at them.










“Ready to go?” Frankie said.




















“Ready as I’ll ever be,” I joked, and they all groaned at the cliché.











We walked to the waiting room, where bands were talking, shaking, practising, or going on their mobiles. We sat down nearest the entrance this time.
















“Remember, we are going to have fun,” Maddy said to me. “Like your Mum said…”








I rolled my eyes. “You’re going to listen to my mother over me?” I said, and we all chuckled like hens again. A little hysterically, as truth be told. So much for having fun.










“Fun, fun, fun,” Jason said nervously to himself.




















“Save the singing for the stage,” I advised, then remembered he wasn’t even a singer. Huh. That bad, then.



















































When our newly christened band was called, we did not shake. We looked at each other, smiled, and took to the stage.

The judges did not waste time this time around.

















We were simply introduced, greeted, and invited to start.














I felt sorry for Maddy. However ‘excited’ she was feeling, nothing could prepare her for this amount of pressure. We all gave her encouraging looks as the instruments began to play softly in the background; so you could hardly hear them.




















Maddy’s voice was gentle but loud, a new power seeming to elude from every breath. She was bright and brave and ill at ease, and it showed. She shined.





















I could already see the judges looking at her as though impressed, writing things down. I used to hate when they did that, but today it seemed OK.
























When it got to the second paragraph, it was my time to join in. Just us two and a guitar at that point. It was how I had planned it. Down to the last line.




























“Blue kiss baby, blue kiss,” we both sang. “Beautiful eyes and a cute smile; a cute smile, just for me. Just for me. Are you with me when my heart thuds two thousand beats?” we smiled nervously at each other as we carried on, Gabby’s voice quietly behind every note. “Do you see the warm rush – the gold rush, of love?”























And then we were onto the chorus – and there came the shift in the atmosphere. The strings on Frankie’s guitar were twanged to sound whiny and high-pitched; Jason’s drums ear-splittingly loud and crazy. And all the while, our three voices whispered to the beat.





And I realized. This was where I was meant to be. This was where I belonged.









“Blue kiss baby,” we sang. “Blue kiss. Misty eyes and raven smile holding my face in the softly falling snow…”



























“Give me one last kiss; a breath; a snowflake of your heart,” I sang.





























“Chemistry and wild flowers,” Maddy followed in a sweet if hard tone of voice. “And white hell and your smile.” The drums bashed to the sound, like an echoing orchestra of beats.


















“Blue kiss baby,” Maddy said in a breathy voice. She looked at Gabby.











“Blue kiss,” Gabby said. She caught my eye. She knew we were ending.













“Give me one last kiss,” I said, knowing I had to make my last line count. Really count.











“And then we’ll be alright,” Maddy ended.


















The judges looked at us through steely eyes and told us to depart – but I was sure they were discussing excitedly among themselves. We had done alright, like the song had suggested!



















We piled off the stage; a pushing group of hyped up teenagers, and went to the café inside the building. We still had five agonizing hours to kill before they announced a winner…and many…many who had the potential to beat us to it. What if they forgot us in the haze of bands?



























No, they’d watch it again. I was sure we had been filmed. They couldn’t forget us.









Maddy was jumping up and down. “I don’t know about you guys, but that has got the be the bigger thrill ever!”


























And I couldn’t help, it either. I was, under the crushing anticipation, excited, too. Glad to have performed. So maybe Mum had been right after all. Being wrong was a sort of luxury today.

































“You did great,” Frankie said, putting an arm around his girlfriend’s shoulders. For half a second my heart sank before I caught myself again. “We all did.”











“Guess it’s just up to the judges now,” Jason said as we all drummed our fingers on the table. (Ironically enough).


























“I think we tried our best,” Gabby said almost nervously, like she was sure we were going to contradict her.






















































“Me too,” I said. “I don’t think anyone messed up. Agreed?”



















They all nodded. Nobody could be blamed if we got nowhere. We had all given this task our everything over the past five months. It shocked me a little it had been that long. But five months ago…life was different. Simpler.








































































































“Remember when Maddy first burst into the garage?” Frankie said with a fond smile. “And she wouldn’t tell us what was up?” he dug her in the ribs, and she grinned mischeviously. They looked so happy together I couldn’t feel sad about him anymore. I was on too much of a high from the performance, anyway.

























“Yeah, that was annoying,” Jason said, scowling at the memory.


















“Tell me about it,” I said. I remembered how I had felt then. Faintly irritated, but mostly curious. And a little scared, because Maddy was a girl who didn’t do things halfway.









“You guys looked so shocked!” our lead singer said. She twirled a strand of pale gold hair round and round her finger. “But it was a good surprise this time, wasn’t it?”










We all supposed it was after all. Even if…even if we didn’t win.

















As I chattered away to my best friend, I thought I knew why she was always the star. Not only was she beautiful, but she had this quality about her that drew people to her. Charisma, maybe. You could tell, just by looking at her, that she was someone special. And you wanted to get to know her.






























Now I thought about it, my accidental kiss with Frankie may have been brought on by intimidation. I was safe; sensible, whereas Maddy was confident and bright and would surely dent any boy’s ego. It was pathetic, but it made sense. For ages I had been trying to figure out why he had kissed me. It would be easy enough if I had kissed him…but that hadn’t been what had happened. One minute I was talking…and the next, I was having my first kiss before I’d had time to think about it myself. It had been natural. It had been…different. Warm.


























But it was alright now. I was over it. It’s just that thing with first boyfriends, first kisses…they’re always the sweetest, aren’t they?



















But one day, I was determined to find the boy meant for me. Not the boy meant for Maddy.











Because when you spent a lifetime living in someone’s shadow, you almost became them. A worse version. No wonder I had been confused. No wonder Frankie had been confused.






“Lost in thought?” an all-too-familiar voice said. I wondered if I dared look up, but decided if I’d had the guts to get up on a scary stage and do something as private as sing, I had the guts to look into a face that sent butterflies straight to my stomach. Butterflies were pretty anyway…free and beautiful. No, it was the flutters that scared me. The flutters of fear. Because what would happen if I fell for Maddy’s boyfriend? What would happen now?





Well, I wouldn’t let that happen, I resolved, even if he wasn’t exactly making it easy – but it was alright for him; he had a girlfriend. So maybe I should get a boyfriend, forget about this boy, and fall in love. If only if were so easy.


























But was anything worth having ever easy?




















The competition had been one of the hardest things I’d ever faced, but I had come out the other side. And I hadn’t crumbled. Not in the end. Flirty boys…they were nothing in comparison, surely?


































“Not really,” I said, realizing I had let the pause go on too long. I realized something else, too. I was lightly blushing. “I was just thinking.”



















About you.
































“You’re always thinking,” Frankie said in a slightly frustrated voice. “About what?”






About you.































“About Ed Sheeran,” I said.
































“Interesting,” he said, nodding. “And do you often randomly – oh, look,” his hand reached out to stop the curl escaping out of my bun. I sighed as another curl tumbled out of my hair scrunchie. Goodbye fancy hairstyle.





















“Utterly uncontrollable,” I said, and if I hadn’t been pink before, I was now. “There’s no stopping it.”




























“No,” he agreed, a strange intense look in his green eyes. I was suddenly reminded of kiwi; sweet and boiled in my mother’s pot. Melting.




























“C’mon on, guys,” Maddy and the other two had returned from the toilet. “Let’s go watch the rest of the acts.”




























My chest felt sort of tight, and as I stood up, I felt like I was taking to the stage again. Had I…had I been the only one who had felt that?



















I didn’t have anything to compare it to. I had never experienced this feeling before. Jolting…stopped in time…like gentle fire swooping in my heart.












I must have eaten too much sugar. Damn Mum’s pancakes.



















We sat down in the waiting room. I took a seat at the end, so I was only sitting next to Gabby. We watched the remaning groups perform. Some were lousy, most okay, and occassinally brilliant. But there were too many brilliant bands for my liking.















Eye Candy went last. We could see them, projected onto a screen. They stood on the stage like they owned it, dressed in sparky purple outfits. If I had stood next to them, I would have faded in comparison.
































They sung in really alluring tones, so the judges looked almost hyponotised. What an unfair tactic! I ought to have complained.






























When they were done, none of us said anything, but we were sure they had beaten us.







Because who would crown us winners after that show?

















More Rocky Horror than a skilled band, I thought bitterly to myself, and one look at the stone faces of my friends told me they were thinking much the same. Maybe worse. I could see Maddy, her eyebrows pulling together. I imagined the swear words running through her mind, and couldn’t find the energy to laugh. This meant too much.












Dreams…so fragile, so hard to make come true. And so easy to lose.











Eye Candy departed the stage, displaying some inappropriate flesh on the way out. Sluts.







They were smirking to each other like magnified, sexualised cats, and I suddenly wanted to lunge out to them, tear off their fake eyelashes and then see how they did. Then see.







And for what it was worth, I thought Maddy was ten times prettier than they were.







Speak of the devil, her shoulders drooped. “That’s it, then,” she said. “They’re deciding now.”































I wasn’t sure quite what she had meant by ‘that’s it’, but I was soon distracted by the last part. Somewhere in there, five stern-faced judges held the mouths to our future.









What if we had slipped completely beneath their radar? Failed to even make the cut?








In the waiting room, everyone was shuffling and shooting their band mates anxious looks. The atmosphere was so tense, you could see it breathing its poison in the air. Competition, too – it lurked strongly in every look we exchanged.


















I wasn’t sure, but if they didn’t hurry up, I thought we might have a murder on our hands.






“What are they doing?” Maddy said, rubbing her hands together. “What’s taking them so long?”






























I knew now was the moment to make a patience joke, but I couldn’t find the words. Couldn’t speak.

































“Er, how many bands are here today?” said Jason reasonably. “You can understand why they’re biding their time.”
























“Besides, Eye Candy just performed,” Gabby said, two bright spots appearing on her cheeks as she mentioned them. Poor innocent Gabby, corrupted by Young Stars.










“Oh yes they did,” Frankie said in a teasing voice, and even Maddy had to giggle at this.




It was easier not to take them seriously – to pretend they weren’t a threat. But something told me they had killer instincts under their prettily painted masks. That they were out to win just as we were.

































The clock had just struck 5pm when the first group of bands were called in. We were not among them. They emerged with tears stuck like glitter to their made-over cheeks.









So this was how they were doing it. They were calling select bands in, one by one, and telling them if they had made the final cut. There was something surprisingly cruel about this. Like we weren’t people but things to be played with.

















Didn’t they know this was the dream of every hopeful in the room? Didn’t they care?





But something told me that in this business, it was ruthless. And I would have to get used to that.
































The second lot called. The second lot of crying, disappointed faces.

















I looked down at the floor and prayed we would not be next.

One by one, groups of bands were called onto the stage. And rejected.









We were down to the last twenty. And the judges were reviewing our performances, but at least we didn’t have to perform again. At least…at least we had made it this far. I was proud of that. For once in my life, I felt like I had achieved something. Like I was maybe worth more.




























“I can’t believe we haven’t been sent home yet,” Jason said in an awed voice, speaking for all of us. “I mean, that’s so cool! They were so many many of us!”










“There still are,” Maddy pointed out, because going by the assumption every other band had around five members, there were still a hundred people waiting. A hundred people praying. A hundred people hoping.

























“Don’t be so pessimistic,” Frankie said. “Out of everyone, it’s a miracle. Jase is right. We’ve been lucky. Even if we go out now…we had a good run; and twenty out of a possible how many? I think it’s pretty amazing myself.”



















Well, nobody could argue with that. A musical miracle.
















Maddy was rubbing her hands together again. I had given up on my bun entirely, and let the wild waves curl around my shoulders. I felt better like that, anyway. More like me – and kind of protected, in a stupid way.


























Eye Candy were left. The others I did not know the names of. But they looked just as terrified as we were – but you could see they were kind of exhilarated, too, to have made the final twenty. It was an accomplishment for everyone here, even the most driven of bands. Even for us, we who had practised night after night, hour after hour, minute after awful minute.








No, it hadn’t been all awful. But I couldn’t deny I had preferred the performance to the rehersal, oddly enough. And there was me thinking I was so shy.












It was hard to imagine what it would be like if we won in this moment. Easier to imagine what it would be like to go home now. It would be better, in a way, to have the tension ended now. Even if it meant giving up first place. Giving up the dream. Anything so we didn’t have to sit here like shattered rabbits.






























Five bands called in.





















My heart almost stopped as I realized we were not among them.










Fifteen to go.







































I could hear every breath; every whisper in the room. It was getting worse. Suspense; it was a pain of its own kind.




























“Final fifteen,” Jason whispered.























It was an odd thing to think about. Odd to think a small band of friends from London had reached this stage. Final fifteen. I savoured the words on my tongue.





















When five more were called in – five more dismissed, I didn’t allow myself to think. I could only process two words: final ten.






















“I think that deserves a celebration, don’t you?” Frankie said. “Whatever happens?”









“Yeah,” I was actually shaking. “I just wish they’d hurry up – why do they make people come in only to be told they’re going home? Isn’t that a little…”












“Cruel?” Gabby supplied. So I wasn’t the only one who had thought that.










I knew that after the next five were gone, that would be it. The winner would be chosen.










The red-haired woman came out, clutching a clipboard. A sick crunching sensation was rolling around in my stomach. If I vomited, would they send me home?












“Teddy Bears, Haven Girls, Race 360, Field of Dreams and Popular nightmare, please come inside,” she said with a barely concealed smile. Her job would soon be over. Witch.









The five bands stood up, shaking, and went inside. They came out clutching trophies moments later. A constellation prize. My own knees were knocking now.











We were in the final five!



























“No way,” Maddy looked like she was actually struggling to breathe. “There’s been a mistake –” Then she suddenly screamed. “We’re guaranteed fifth place, bitches!”















“Maddy!” I said, but I was giggling in a way I hadn’t for a while. My best friend was right. We were guaranteed fifth place.
























“Eye Candy, Rage Monkeys, Blue Kiss, Sweet Wishes and Posh Toffs to the stage, please, to receive your place number and prize,” the woman said, white teeth sharp and bright.










So that was how she thought of it as. Casual. Our lives, our dream – casual.







“C’mon,” Frankie was tugging at all of us, but we remained shell-shocked in our seats. “Guys, get up!”





























I was the first to move. Then Maddy, then Jason and Gabby. We stumbled onto the stage and joined the remaining four bands.






















This was it. For real. But I could barely even disgest this. It was like I was in a strange dream; one that could only be broken by the words of the judges.














I wasn’t even scared. Just waiting.

























I heard my Mum’s voice in my ear: whatever happens, you’re winners.












“With one hundred pounds between them, a trophy and four certificates, we are pleased to present fifth place to Rage Monkeys,” the head judge said with a tight smile.














Oh. Shit. The anticipation was unbearable. Monstrous.



























We had fourth place. We must have.
























The band in fifth took their awards and walked off the stage, grinning. I gave them all a thumbs-up. They muttered ‘good luck’ as they passed and were gone.


















I hoped we could be so happy when we were given our place.















This time one of the women spoke. “With one hundred and fifty pounds between them, a trophy and a certificate, we are delighted to announce Eye Candy are in fourth place.”










We all looked at each other, amazed smiles spreading across our faces. Not only were we in the top three, but we had beaten our rivals! Boo-yah!
















But, because it would have been unsporting to do otherwise, we gave them all big claps and smiles.

































They stalked off the stage with insolent eye rolls, hopefully never to be seen again.






The man was speaking again.























“In third place with two hundred pounds between them, a certificate, a trophy and a voucher for any music store anywhere, are Posh Toffs.”


















No. No way. Impossible. A lie. A dream. Maybe I should have pinched myself?







But my hands were clapping before I could form a rational thought. Because what the hell had we done to make it to the final two?





















So close – so close now. Posh Toffs were exiting the stage, muttering angrily. Nice sportsmanship from them. Wasn’t third place good enough? I would have been happy not to come last – no, scratch that, to have made it through the audition at all.












The final two. My heart throbbed.























“And then there were two,” said the man, giving us a genuine smile. “We will continue with the previous order. My fellow judge, Maggie,” he pointed to the woman who had spoken before. “Will announce second place. But both teams remember – wherever you come, you have beaten thousands to make it here.”






















He was right. Of course he was right. And suddenly I knew what was about to happen.





“In second place,” the woman said in a thrilling voice. “With five hundred pounds between them, a certificate, a trophy and voucher for a music concert, are Blue Kiss.”










I could barely even hear the words, barely register the almost-smiles of my band members, before we were propelled before the judges to accept our prizes. They announced the winners – Sweet Wishes – a band I had not even considered. I was so sure Eye Candy were going to do it – when all along this small, modest-looking foursome had dived in and taken the win.






And I couldn’t feel envy. I couldn’t feel disappointment. In a funny way, I was kind of glad.



I didn’t think I was ready for all that camera attention. I didn’t think our band was ready. But we had come from nowhere and made second place. And you know what? In my eyes, that was pretty damn remarkable.




























“Well done,” I whispered to the winners as we started to leave the stage for the final time.




“Thanks,” a small girl with tangled black hair said. She smiled at me as we left.







There was this air of not knowing what to do with ourselves. Then we looked at each other and shrieked and jumped around, because somehow, the little amatueur band we all loved had come second place.


























Second place. If it was a slightly sour position, nobody mentioned it, because we were too busy talking, discussing the other bands and gazing in awe at each other.










Second place. Now I said it again in my head, it sounded alright.














Because dreams…they were like that, weren’t they? You were so nearly there…you had come so far…but in the end, you had to except gracious defeat. And what better than the one we were facing? Because in my eyes…it wasn’t a defeat at all. It was a victory for the underdogs everywhere.































The underdogs. I smiled to myself as I considered this. Yes; we had been. But still we had made the final two, only beaten by a band who clearly knew their direction already.




As for us…we were still figuring that part out.


















“I can’t believe we came second,” I said when we had lapsed into amazed child-locked-in-the-sweet-store silence again. “Out of everyone.” I punched Jason’s shoulder. “You were right, for the first time in your life. It actually feels…in an odd way, better than winning.”



I waited for the others to tell me I was wrong; that I was a bad loser. But they were smiling as they took in my idea.


























“I think I get it,” Maddy said after the pause. “What you’re saying. This tells us we can actually be pretty big one day – that’s we’re good enough!”













“Just not now,” Frankie said, and he didn’t sound sad or bitter. It w as what it was, and at the end of the day, we hadn’t won. But we were on the right path, and for our starting band, that seemed more important.


























I had seen what had happened to people thrust into the spotlight, no preparation for the life to come. We had all seen them descend into addiction and break ups and misery and depression…and I didn’t want that for us. We needed more time…time to mature, time to really build up our band. The winners…they were there already, you could see it.











Time sounded like a good idea.
























We could go back to school…tell everyone how far we’d come…maybe the local paper would even get involved…





































And maybe dreams were things you had to take several shots at. Maybe I had been wrong before, about this being our only chance. There was something waiting around the corner, I was sure of it…and if there wasn’t; then, well, we’d have a hard earned break.









The coach was waiting to take the crowds of chatting teenagers home, and I felt a pang for those who had waited in the evening cold for hours. Still, everyone seemed happy enough.




We took a seat at the back, resting our heads on the plush red pillows. Then we looked at each other and laughed.


























“Our crappy band, knocking out all but one,” I said, and soon it became hard to control our giggling, because really…this was insane. The best thing that had ever happened to us.





Second place. The best thing.






















I squeezed my eyes shut and drifted into a light sleep, the bumps of the coach the only thing that pulled me back to reality.

We were lounging in the summer sunshine, eating Lunch and complaining about detentions. It had been a month since the competition, and since then, we hadn’t looked back.









“Wonder what Daley’s calling an assembly for,” Frankie said as he stole some of Jason’s nuts.


































“Who cares? We miss maths,” I said.























Mr Daley was our head teacher. Middle-aged and over-reaching, he wasn’t very popular with his students. He was a bit of a manic, in truth.




















“You don’t think it’ll be another rant, do you?” Maddy said, remembering the time he had called us all to the hall after school to lecture us about litter.













“He wouldn’t make us miss a lesson for that,” Jason said.














“He might,” Gabby argued. “No one cares about the last period of the day.”










I nudged her. “You do!”

























“Well, I don’t speak for everybody,” she said with a well-placed sigh. I laughed.




The bell rang, right in my ear. Startled, I jumped automatically, ignoring the teases of my friends.

































We formed a messy line as we waited to be called in. Nearly two hundred students were gathered outside, waiting, while the other years scampered on to lessons. I couldn’t help being reminded of the endless silence at the final of Young Stars. It was all this senseless hanging around. Why didn’t anyone get on with things?















Eventually, even our head teacher had the wits to send us in. Well, he got the form tutors to do it, but still. Ours soon had us in a line so straight if one person had moved, it would have bent the whole thing out of shape. Like a ruler.





















We filed in without talking, looking at each other a little agnozingly. A lecture at this time of the day! I thought I’d rather take on maths after all.

















Mr Daley stood on the hall stage, clapping his hands for silence. “I have called you all here today to present some special school awards – awards for every subject. We thought it would be a wonderful surprise for you all at the end of the day!”













Yeah – whoopee. Watching stereotype students collect certificates for the whole hour.





“We will start with English,” he said, and at that point I decided to doze off. I was soon snapped back to attention when the cameras started flashing for a girl who had won the science award, though. What an honour.


















“And finally,” he said (we all breathed out). “I present the music award – and it goes to five young chancers who have just come second in a major teenage band competition! I give you Eve, Maddy –” he paused to look down at him notes (Maddy and me smirked). “Frankie, Jason and Gabby!”




























Before we had time to speak, we were ushered onto the stage, where we held a huge silver plaque between us. Way to feel second best.

















Still, this was something we had won. Something that could not be taken away from us.




“Smile for the cameras,” Mr Daley said, looking a little grin-happy himself.

























As I strained the muscles in my mouth ten times over, I imagined the story in the local newspaper. ‘Junior band scoop second place in music competition.’ Maybe I should have given up the mike and swapped it for journalism instead.















“Well, don’t we feel special?” Frankie said dryly.




















But I was actually pretty hyped up for real. “Yeah! This is so cool!” I said without a hint of irony.


























“Right,” he raised his eyebrows, probably questioning my sanity, and smiled a little at my innocence.






























We sat back down, feeling, despite the patronising nature of the award, it was really ours.






First place. And first place won.





















Who knew? Maybe one day we would appear in a real paper…

I was in the kitchen when I got the news.

























It was coming to the end of July, and Mum and her boyfriend were going stronger than ever. I had to admit…well, despite my initial reluctance, Gary actually wasn’t that bad. For a creep, anyway.

























He was never going to be my Dad. But I was never going to be his daughter, either. We had reached a truce, one only broken if he ever did one, two or three of these things: moved in, married Mum, or had a baby with her. As long as these rules remained, I didn’t have a problem.

























Mum was behaving very evasively in the living room. I assumed it was because of her date plans. Little did I know she was planning a surprise.
















“Nervous?” I said.





























“A little,” Mum replied, but she wouldn’t look me in the eye.












After five minutes more of this, I blurted out: “C’mon, what’s up? I’m not an idiot.”





“I don’t know what you mean,” Mum smoothed down her pink tartan skirt. “I’m just making tea – do you want a cup?”
























“No,” I said stubbornly. She had better getting talking, and soon. My patience was running thin.
































The door bell rang. Mum jumped like I had the day of the assembly. Come to think of it, my award was pinned high above the mantelpiece. Well, my certificate. Maddy’s Dad was currently in possession of the plaque. It was probably in some sort of vault. Dungeon, maybe. I reminded myself it was Mr Maddy’s Dad who had got us into the competition in the first place, so he had every right, I supposed.





















Gary was standing at the door with a bouquet of orange lilies. I privately vomited to myself at the smell, and suggestion, of such a gift.
























“Darling,” for the first time in two hours, Mum whirled round to face me. “We have something to tell you –”


























“Gary’s moving in,” I said flatly.


























“Of course not!” Mum said, glancing at Gary and laughing.















Then the penny dropped.























“You’re marrying Gary,” I said.






















“I think I’d know,” Gary said almost nervously, like he knew that any future attempts would be thwarted by me.




























Then the penny really dropped.




























“You and Gary are having a baby!” I said. It was a statement, not a question.








No way. Gary’s sprog. Probably a boy baby who looked exactly like him…













“No,” Mum said firmly. “Would you just listen, big mouth?”












“OK,” I said reluctantly, wondering what this was all about.




































































Mum looked at Gary to begin. I did too, waiting.





















“I have some musical contacts,” he said. “And I think I can get you and your friends a gig at a festival in the summer – in August. What do you think?”
















What did I think? I thought that was…crazy. I would have said ‘incredible’, but that was stretching the truth when it came to Gary.




















“I think we might be interested,” I said, but when he looked over at Mum to roll his eyes at her, I smiled to myself. Triumph!























The first thing I did was call Maddy. Her voice was very breathy and excitable, and she rushed to tell the others. I couldn’t help feeling glad it was me who had provided the opportunity this time.

















































When I was in my bedroom later, I allowed myself my first scream, bouncing around on my duvet. Blue Kiss had a gig!

























Wow. That sounded so…serious. Mature. Like we were a proper band performing for a proper audience.






















































And we were, I realized. We were.


















We may have just been five lazy friends who practised handwritten songs in a garage, but maybe we could go places.

























Maybe, just this once, change was good.




















I lay down on my soft, warm duvet and let sleep take me to fame.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.