The Inbetweeners | Teen Ink

The Inbetweeners

May 16, 2013
By noeeeb1120, San Pedro, California
More by this author
noeeeb1120, San Pedro, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me" - C.S Lewis


Author's note: I hope teens will understand that they are more than just kids. They can make a great impact on the world. Don't underestimate yourselves.

EXT. INDIE MALL FRONT ENTRANCE – EVENING
A popular mall. Palm trees swaying, looks like it is about to rain. We see people leaving the mall with shopping bags as it is about time for closing. But abnormally we see 4 TEENS entering the mall.
INT. INDIE MALL FRONT ENTRANCE – EVENING
The 4 TEENS walk together as they pass by different shops and stores. You can see the kids are all different in their own special ways.





SAM (V.O)
Many people underestimate kids. Some say we don’t know much…
We center on CORA CUPID (16), small, pretty, fast, and a little kid at heart.



CORA
How is it, that clowns can fit into those little itty bitty cars? (passing by a circus poster of a clown in a car) Like do they shrink?



SAM (V.O)
…and some say we are just human bombs that explode with rude remarks.
We center on DEEJ NORTH (16), a tough girl. She is independent with her own thoughts no matter if they hurt others’ feelings.








DEEJ
I want to shrink you right now...oh wait too late...
CORA laughs at this, and then stops as she realizes DEEJ was talking about her height.






CORA
HEYYYYY...
DEEJ laughs at this but soon gets toppled by RILEY SAMPERIO (16), a clumsy boy who is awkward in life itself.
SAM (V.O)
Some say we need to grow up mentally




and...physically.






DEEJ
Watch it Slick! (brushing herself off


from the ground)






RILEY
My bad...





SAM (V.O)
And for some, they say we are lost, just stuck in a stereotype.
We center on SAM HUDSON (16), a handsome guy who is a jock with deep feelings and great ideas. He just stands their looking at his group of friends, just laughing.







SAM (V.O)
Although we may be all these things, we

are learning, feeling, growing, and
discovering life together. You can call us the “inbetweeners”, I guess, not kids, not adults, we are older than tweens, just in-between.
INT. FOOD COURT – EVENING
The gang enters the food court that is nearly empty. They sit down at a table.
SAM
I can’t wait to see The Alpha Falcons in concert. We’ve been waiting to see them all year.





DEEJ
Well, if it wasn’t for Cora’s bladder

problems, we would have seen them by now. But someone had lost our place in the line!!
SAM, RILEY, and DEEJ turn to CORA and stare with blame.




CORA
What? (feeling the blame)


SAM, RILEY, and DEEJ keep staring with blame.




CORA (CONT’D)
(finally admitting) I had a lot of lemonade…
SAM
Well, this time we won’t miss them. We’ll be the first ones in line to pay for those tickets. You can count on that.
RILEY
Yeah…staying overnight at the mall was a great idea. (to DEEJ)
DEEJ
Why thank you Riley! (flattered)
SAM
You got the money (to DEEJ, she nods).
Everyone has called their parents that they are at my house right? (EVERYONE nods)






SAM (CONT’D)


Great! Follow my lead.
INT. INDIE MALL – EVENING
All 3 TEENS exit the FOOD COURT and follow SAM nonchalantly back to the FRONT ENTRANCE. They act normally as they walk with the remaining crowd to the exit. But instead of exiting the mall the 4 TEENS slip into the PHOTO BOOTH near the FRONT ENTRANCE.
INT. PHOTO BOOTH – EVENING
Red curtains, small bench. The 4 TEENS are squished with barely any breathing room.





DEEJ
Move your big feet!





CORA
Stop pulling my hair!





RILEY
I’m claustrophobic!





CORA
What’s claustrophobic?





DEEJ
It means he’s scared of Santa Claus.
CORA gasps.





SAM
JUST SHUT UP!!
They are all silent until…





CORA
HO, HO, HO… (deep Santa voice and giggles, trying to scare RILEY)
RILEY rolls his eyes, and DEEJ sleazily smiles.





SAM
SHHHHHH…




SPEAKER (V.O)
Thank you for shopping at the Indie



Mall. We are now closed. But don’t forget, the Alpha Falcons concert tickets are selling here at the mall. Doors will be open at 6am. So come early!
SAM
Oh we will…
SAM smiles at his 3 FRIENDS, while they smile back. They all stand still as they hear 2 SECURITY GUARDS near them.
INT. OUTSIDE OF PHOTO BOOTH – INDIE MALL





MIKE
Is everyone out?
AL
Yeah, as far as I can see.





MIKE
Good. The boss says we need to keep an


eye on the place especially, on those concert tickets. They’re worth more than your house, your momma’s
house, AND grand-momma’s house combined.
AL
Well, that isn’t much... we all live in the same house.
MIKE
Never mind...just keep a close eye on things, got it?
AL
Got it, boss.
Both SECURITY GUARDS leave and wander off. In the PHOTO
BOOTH, we hear nothing until RILEY sneezes and pushes SAM, DEEJ, and CORA out of the booth.





DEEJ
Watch it!





CORA
EWWWWW!





RILEY

My bad...




SAM
Come on guys. Let’s get outta here


before they come back.


CORA
Wait, we gotta take pictures (she motions toward the booth)


RILEY
She’s right. We gotta remember this exciting night.




DEEJ
You don’t get out much do you? (to Riley)




RILEY
PSHHH! Of course I do... (looks at other 3 TEENS faces), no, not really (admitting).


SAM
(sighs) Fine, but I’m not paying for it. NOT IT!!


CORA
NOT IT!!


DEEJ
NOT IT!!


RILEY
WAIT! NOT IT!! AWWW MAN!
RILEY reluctantly pulls out his wallet and they all pile in the photo booth and take the pictures. Then they get out and wait for the photos until they hear the SECURITY GUARDS coming back.




SAM

HIDE!!!
CORA and DEEJ hide behind 2 INDOOR TREES and RILEY and SAM duck behind a FARAWAY BENCH, but leave the printed pictures behind. The SECURITY GUARDS come in eating yogurt from the Country’s Best Yogurt.




AL
This is truly the Country’s Best Yogurt.




MIKE
Agreed. (off seeing the photos) Hey Al,

were these photos here before.


AL
Umm, I don’t think so Mike…
MIKE and AL look around and look at each other slyly.





MIKE
Well, well, well, we got a manhunt on


our hands.
Off their evil looks, they leave their yogurt cups on a nearby bench and run in determination. When they leave, the 4 FRIENDS emerge from their hiding places.




CORA
Oooh, a man hunt! I wonder who they’re

hunting. They’re going to be in trouubbbbbble!


DEEJ
US!! They are looking for US!!


CORA
Ohh, that’s a problem...


SAM
Yeah...we gotta go now!
EXT. MAIN CORRIDOR – INDIE MALL
CORA, DEEJ, and SAM start running as they notice RILEY is not following them. They turn around and see RILEY eating one of the yogurts.




RILEY
Man, this IS truly the Country’s Best Yogurt!




ALL

RILEY?!!
CORA and SAM run off while DEEJ waits for him. RILEY then runs to her while eating the yogurt but she stops him.




DEEJ

Wait!!!





RILEY


What?!! (startled)





DEEJ


Get the other one.
RILEY runs to get the other one and gives it to DEEJ, eating the other one. Then, they run to catch up with CORA and SAM.

INT. INDIE MALL – CAROUSEL
We only see SAM and CORA as they seem like they have been running. There is a small CAROUSEL in the middle of the MAIN CORRIDOR of the mall.
SAM
Where are Deej and Riley?! I thought they were right behind us?!


CORA
I thought so too. I hope they didn’t get caught (sees carousel) oooooh a Merry Go Round! Can we please go on it!?


SAM
I don’t know, Cora, we gotta keep moving. We don’t know where the guards are and...


CORA
Pretty please... with a cherry on top.
CORA bats her long eyelashes at him. This breaks SAM down.





SAM

Alright. (smirking at her)
CORA squeals with excitement as SAM switches on the CAROUSEL at its control panel. As soon as the music starts, CORA grabs SAM’s hands and gets on the MERRY GO ROUND. CORA gets on a pink horse while SAM stands by her side. BOTH teens are having fun but get startled by:




MIKE
HEY! GET OFF THE MERRY GO ROUND!
The TEENS see MIKE running down the hallway toward them.


CORA
Why don’t you come and get us?!! (challenging)
SAM admires her courage against MIKE, as he is in front of the MERRY GO ROUND.





MIKE


Alright fine.
MIKE jumps on the carousel. SAM jumps down and starts running but then sees CORA struggling with her seatbelt. MIKE is almost to CORA but MIKE gets dizzy from the spinning.




MIKE

I got you now. (slurred)
CORA widens her eyes. But she finally gets the seatbelt off. And right when MIKE lunges to grab her, SAM grabs her, jumps down from the carousel and onto the ground. SAM puts down CORA and goes to the control panel of the carousel.




SAM
Ever think of stopping the carousel, dumbo?!
CORA giggles at this, while MIKE gets more angry and just when he is about to jump down, SAM makes the carousel go faster and faster until it seems like a blur. All we can hear is MIKE:





MIKE


HEEEEELLLLPPP!!




SAM

Come on! Let’s go find Deej and Riley.
He grabs CORA’s hand, and they run down the main corridor, leaving MIKE behind.

INT. INDIE MALL - NEAR WATERFALL
RILEY and DEEJ have already thrown the yogurt cups away and now are confused in where they are.




RILEY
Where did they go, did we turn on the right hallway?




DEEJ

I don’t know! Ugh! I’ll text them.
But before she does that, they spot AL at the ticket booth. They duck under a nearby tree near a small waterfall. They see him taking all the concert tickets and putting them in boxes. Then AL takes out a WALKIE TALKIE and speaks.




AL
Mike, over? I got all the tickets ready for you to put them in the truck, over. Just like the plan, over (conspicuously)


MIKE
(out of breath) Great job! I’ll be right there. I found two of the kids...
CUT TO: DEEJ and RILEY’s horrified faces.





MIKE (CONT’D)


...but they got away.
CUT TO: DEEJ and RILEY’s relieved faces.





AL
Yeah, I haven’t seen anything yet boss, over.



MIKE
Well, good. We don’t need them knowing what we’re up to. We’ll leave as soon as I get there (evil laugh). The kids will be rioting when we leave town with those tickets, just like the other town. They’ll be helpless.



AL
And we’ll be rich, over.



MIKE
Yes we will. I’ll be over in a minute.


AL
Alright, over.


MIKE
Enough with the over!


AL
Got it boss, over.


MIKE
Seriously, stop.
AL looks a bit embarrassed, and then puts the WALKIE TALKIE away. RILEY and DEEJ had overheard everything.




RILEY
I didn’t know old men like to listen to the Alpha Falcons too? (whispering)


DEEJ
They don’t... (realizing) They’re stealing the tickets, Riley!





RILEY


(gasps) We gotta find Sam and Cora.
As they try to get away quietly, Riley accidentally falls into the pond where the small waterfall is in. AL sees them.




AL

HEY!!




DEEJ

Nice going Slick!! (to Riley)




RILEY

My bad...
AL then runs to get them. DEEJ pulls RILEY out of the water just in time to run away and into the main corridor. AL loses them as he isn’t the best in shape and that he slips on the water which RILEY is drenched in.




AL


GET BACK HERE!!
DEEJ and RILEY both laugh hysterically and just keep running down the corridor.

INT. INDIE MALL – LEFT SIDE OF MALL
We see CORA and SAM still holding hands running.




SAM

Where are they?!
CORA just shrugs. They BOTH are still running.
INT. INDIE MALL – RIGHT SIDE OF MALL
We see DEEJ and RILEY, still drenched, and BOTH still laughing.




DEEJ
Did you see his face?!




RILEY
(nods) Like a big fat cherry!!
They BOTH keep laughing. And they turn the corner.
INT. INDIE MALL – LEFT SIDE OF MALL
CORA and SAM turn the corner...and BAM!! RILEY and SAM smack into each other.




CORA

Are you ok? (picking up SAM)




SAM
Yeah (to CORA)...why are you so wet?!(to RILEY)




RILEY

My bad...see what had happened was...




DEEJ
(interrupting)...we were trying to run away from one of the security guards and Riley fell in the waterfall. But listen, the security guards are stealing the Alpha Falcons tickets from the mall! They’re planning on getting rich off them. Apparently, they’ve done it before!




CORA

No (she can’t believe it)




RILEY

Yes!




CORA

Nooo (still can’t believe it)




RILEY

Yes!




CORA

Nooooo (still can’t believe it)




DEEJ

YESSSSSS!! (annoyed at RILEY and CORA)




CORA

Well, what are we going to do?




SAM
We’re gonna have to catch them before they leave with the tickets.



RILEY
Well, why can’t we just call the police...it’s less dangerous...



SAM
No, then it will be their word against ours. And, by the time we call them, the security guards will already have left.



DEEJ
Plus, we’d be the ones getting into trouble for staying overnight at the mall, not them.



SAM
It’s our jobs to stand up for what’s good. We can’t just stand by and see them do this...



CORA
(interrupting) And not just for us...



DEEJ
(interrupting) but also for the kids all over town...



RILEY
(interrupting) and for the ones who underestimate us.



SAM
(smiles) Exactly...



CORA
But how are we gonna catch them, before they catch us?



SAM
I’ve got a plan. I’m gonna need some vegetable oil, honey, a lot of toilet paper, 4 of those tickets, and a good runner...
RILEY, DEEJ, and SAM turn their heads slowly towards CORA, who is track star at their high school. CORA then looks behind her, not noticing until she finds no one behind her.




CORA
NO! NOOOO WAY! Nope!! NO!! NUH UH! No (calmly).
CUT TO:
INT. INDIE MALL – MAIN CORRIDOR
CORA is running from MIKE and AL.

INT. INDIE MALL – NEAR WATERFALL
CORA runs back down the main corridor. As MIKE and AL run after her. She runs and runs and turns swiftly near the WATERFALL making AL and MIKE fall into the water. CORA then stops and laughs hysterically.




CORA
Come on guys! Get up!! You can do it! Yes, you can! (talking like a puppy to them). You gotta catch me to get these (holds up 4 CONCERT TICKETS)



MIKE
That’s it! I’m gonna strangle you little girl!
MIKE then gets out of the water runs after her





AL


Wait! Wait up for me!
AL then huffs getting out of water, breathing heavy, then running after MIKE.
INT. INDIE MALL – CAROUSEL
CORA runs down another hallway and ends up near the CAROUSEL which is covered with TOILET PAPER from the BATHROOM. She then finds a place where there isn’t toilet paper on the side and sneaks in through there. MIKE sees her go through the CAROUSEL and stops.




MIKE
EHH! You can’t trick me twice. I’m not going in there!
But here comes AL not knowing, and accidentally pushes MIKE and himself into the center of the carousel.




MIKE (CONT’D)

AL?!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!




AL

Sorry boss...
They both try to get up but they see that the floor of the CAROUSEL is pasted with HONEY, from the FOOD COURT.




MIKE

Are you kidding me?!!
We then hear CORA on the other side of the carousel, with no HONEY and TOILET PAPER on it.




CORA

NOPE!!
She then runs out of the carousel and goes to the control panel.




CORA (CONT’D)

Let’s have some fun, shall we?
MIKE and AL look at each other.




MIKE & AL

Oh no!




CORA

Oh yesss!
CORA starts up the carousel. It turns slowly but then CORA puts the speed on high until it’s a blur.




CORA (CONT’D)

Wheeeee!
All you can hear is MIKE and AL screaming for their lives. Then she stops the CAROUSEL. MIKE and AL are groaning.




AL
I shouldn’t have eaten that third hot dog.




MIKE

Don’t you dare... (to AL)
But it’s too late; AL throws up outside the carousel.




CORA
EWWWWWW! (beat) One more time around? (offering)
But the only thing she sees is MIKE throwing up outside the carousel too.




CORA (CONT’D)

I’ll take that as a yes!
She then turns the speed on high, again. And all you can hear is MIKE and AL groaning. CORA then stops it again for good.




CORA (CONT’D)

How are we feeling? (antagonizing)
MIKE and AL stumble in front of her. They look like mummies from the TOILET PAPER.




MIKE

You’re gonna get it now (slurred)
MIKE and AL are stumbling to get up.




CORA
Come on guys! We’re almost there!
CORA then waves the 4 TICKETS in front of them and starts running to another hallway. MIKE and AL finally get their balance and start running after her.
INT. INDIE MALL – FRONT ENTRANCE
At this point, CORA has led MIKE and AL around the whole mall. We see RILEY, DEEJ, and SAM near the FRONT ENTRNACE. They are laughing hysterically.




DEEJ


They look like deformed mummies.




CORA
Who?!(forgetting MIKE and AL were behind her and stumbling on SAM)
SAM catches her and smiles at CORA, making her blush. DEEJ and RILEY then are seen with VEGETABLE OIL from the FOOD COURT too. As MIKE and AL are coming closer to them.




MIKE

We got you kids now!!!




AL

Yeah (trying to catch his breath)




RILEY

NOW!! (to DEEJ)
DEEJ and RILEY pour the VEGETABLE OIL all over the floor making them slide and slide until they hit the automatic door.




ALL TEENS

Ooooooohhhh! (knowing it hurt)
Then the automatic doors open slowly as MIKE and AL fall out the door, facing the city police.

EXT. INDIE MALL ENTRANCE – EARLY MORNING




POLICE
Guy McGee and Buddy Fletcher! You are under arrest for theft and forgery. You have the right to remain silent! Any words you say can be used against you!



MIKE/GUY
Awwww mother of pearl!



AL/BUDDY
My grandma and my mom is gonna kill me.
The 4 FRIENDS are celebrating now.





SAM


Our plan worked!!





RILEY
Whew I was about to pee my pants!
The police then take AL AND MIKE in the car.
INT. POLICE CAR - BACKSEATS





MIKE/GUY


STUPID KIDS!! (to the 4 TEENS)
But we see AL is wailing and crying like a little baby.





MIKE/GUY (CONT’D)
AWW, don’t cry Buddy. Your mom & grandma will forgive you... eventually...
This makes AL/BUDDY cry even more, hysterically.
EXT. INDIE MALL ENTRANCE- OUTSIDE POLICE CAR





DEEJ
That’s what you deserve! (to Al and Mike)





RILEY
Yeah...what kind of names are Buddy and Guy anyways. You got a brother named PAL!!! (to AL and MIKE, laughing at this)
DEEJ, SAM, and CORA just stare at him.





DEEJ


Just stop...please (to RILEY)
Riley then looks embarrassed but then ALL 4 TEENS laugh anyways. The police car then drives them away. Then a POLICEMAN comes up to the 4 TEENS.




POLICEMAN
We are glad you guys called. We’ve been looking for these two for months now. We would have you guys doing community service for staying over at the mall but since you caught these two for us and returned the tickets safely the state and city thanks you!





CORA
Oh I almost forgot here are the other 4 tickets (to POLICEMAN, gives them)



POLICEMAN
Keep them.



DEEJ
But these are front row tickets?!! We didn’t pay for them yet.



POLICEMAN
We talked to the Alpha Falcons band manager and he said he wanted you guys at the concert, free of charge. So he said to keep them and...to keep these as well.
The POLICEMAN gives the 4 TEENS 4 BACKSTAGE PASSES for the concert.




SAM

Are you serious? This is awesome!




CORA

Oh my goodness!




DEEJ

YESSS!




RILEY

I’m about to faint.




DEEJ

Don’t. (to Riley)




SAM

Thank you so much!




POLICEMAN
No thank you! And we called your parents, there on their way.
EXT. INDIE MALL ENTRANCE – 6 AM
The POLICEMAN leaves. The crowds of kids waiting for their tickets envy the 4 TEENS as they celebrate. News reporters are all over the INDIE PARKING LOT documenting this day. DEEJ and RILEY are talking to one of the reporters while CORA sees SAM alone in front of the mall.




CORA
We did it!! (squealing as she jumps to give SAM a hug)




SAM
Yes we did. I underestimated you Cora. I was scared for you.




CORA
I was too (laughing)
Then SAM grabs CORA and kisses her spontaneously. He pulls away and CORA is stunned making SAM laugh.




CORA

I underestimated you too.
Then they both gather with DEEJ and RILEY. And the POLICEMAN returns.




POLICEMAN
I almost forgot. We found this in Guy’s pocket. Didn’t think he needed it. (he smirks and gives it to them)
The POLICEMAN leaves. He gave them the photos from the photo booth earlier. The 4 TEENS look at each other, smiling.




DEEJ
It turned out to be an exciting night after all, Slick. I underestimated you. (to Riley)




RILEY

Told you guys!
DEEJ then kisses him on the cheek. And RILEY is stunned.




RILEY (CONT’D)
I underestimated you too (to DEEJ, beat) Now, I’m going to
faint.



DEEJ laughs at this as he falls on the ground.
EXT. INDIE MALL PARKING LOT – MORNING
We center on SAM, CORA, DEEJ, and weak RILEY who are taking a photo for the press.





SAM (V.O)
Many people underestimate us including ourselves. But there is always one thing we always remembered from this day: We are learning, feeling, growing, and discovering life together. Call us the “inbetweeners”.
We close out on a picture that the press took where we see: SAM carrying CORA kissing her on the cheek; CORA opening her mouth in shock; DEEJ showing her muscle and RILEY still on the floor. The headline reads: THE INBETWEENERS.
We then FADE OUT:






THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on May. 29 2013 at 2:55 pm
I enjoyed reading this... love it!

on May. 29 2013 at 2:34 pm
great script!