The Hudges' Experiences | Teen Ink

The Hudges' Experiences

By RueDope, gweru, Other
RueDope, Gweru, Other

you can be anybody you wna be as lonq as you have faith and you believe

Author's note: I believe our families are all different but what makes them similar is that we all have small problems and much more serious ones to deal with at one point or another. I just wanted to put this out in my novel.

This book is dedicated to my mom who encouraged me every chance she had. She told me I could be anything and I thank her for believing in me.
I also dedicate it to my dad who made me want to write this book. He made me realize that no matter who I was, where I came from I could still shine outstandingly like the moon in the midst of the stars.
Last but not least I will thank God for the great gift he gave me. For making me special and for loving me exceptionally.
Even if this book is rejected when it is taken to the publishers I believe I have done my best. And thank you to the people mentioned above. But I believe being the moon it will definitely be published!

The Hudges family is a book which is of different characters. The
Children have their bad and good days and so do the parents due to their children’s behaviors. To learn more about this peculiar family I advise you to sit back read and enjoy this book and remember never judge a book by its cover.

Prologue

‘You know we can’t keep her,’ said Mr. Hudges younger brother David. ‘You know we cannot take care of children and I don’t think we will have the courage to tell her about her brother you just have to take her,’ he kept on insisting.

David was the brother of Mr. Hudges. Two years earlier his son had been taken away from his custody because he could not take care of his son. His son was only five but they always beat him up even for small silly mistakes. His sister Mariah is the one who had saved the child and had pleaded with the parents to sign him to the children’s home association.
Two years later they had another girl and after one year they decided that they could not take care of the child and asked his brother to take care of his child. His brother however did not want to take the child but his wife had pleaded with him to take the child.

*****************

CHAPTER ONE

The Hudges family was quite a peculiar family in the north of England. Outdoors the children seemed quite adorable and loving to each other but indoors it was quite the opposite. To Lucy, Chris and Andy it seemed Susan their cousin was the problem but mom and dad who seemed to favor Susan saw it the other way round.
It always seemed strange to Andy that while it was fun to rack Lucy’s wardrobe Susan’s was quite the opposite. Lucy had every kind of clothes shoes and make up kit while all Susan had was dolls diaries and stupid trick books. Andy really did wish he could get hold of the stupid books and get rid of them but of course it was not worth two weeks of grounding.
Mr. and Mrs. Hudges both worked at the Society against People Cruelty to Animals [SPCA].
They were down to earth people who lived in a nice house in a nice suburb.
Mrs. Hudges was a quiet woman who really knew how to choose her words when speaking. She had long grey hair and was very patient with her children. She was a very slender woman and liked to eat only healthy food.
Mr. Hudges was on the more talkative side. He loved cracking jokes and had a very good sense of humor. However he also had a very hot temper. He did not tolerate any stupid behavior. He was very tall and had brownish hair. His moustache never showed because he shaved it every morning.
Chris the first born of the family was twenty two years old and was an author. He worked for the Kindle Company. He was a very cheerful boy and liked everyone nice except for Susan who no one would ever have described as nice. Chris was tall and had muscular shoulders. All the girls at his workplace would have described him as charming. He had studied book writing at university level and knew many different languages besides French and English. Lucy the middle born of the family was eighteen years old. She was the nicest teenage girl on earth although Susan would not have agreed with that. Lucy was doing her last year at Casio high. She had long blond hair and was quite tall for her age. Her best friend was Caroline Relloute. Lucy was a patient young lady but sometimes her cousin’s attitude got the better of her.

Andy the last born of the family was only five years old and loved his bedroom so much that he even called it his best friend. He loved cats very much and always made sure he went to his moms’ workplace when she was working g with the cats. Andy had very black hair and his eyes were bright blue in color and he had a small chin. He was rather short for his age. He was doing his crèche grade at hound Crèche School.
Lastly there was Susan. Nothing ever seemed right about her, she talked too much; was jealous of Lucy’s blond hair and how tall she was. She was in her ninth grade. She had nice legs and had a nice slender body. She loved behaving like a real lady although her manners needed a bit of working on. Her parents were overseas and she had stayed with the Hudges since she was only a year old. It seemed they had become her second family. Susan always wanted to play stupid tricks on her cousins even if they told her over a thousand times that they did not like what she did. Susan always seemed to notice how her aunt and uncle seemed to say every month that they were going to see some very distant relatives. She was curious as it seemed no one in the family knew about these “relatives” except her aunt and uncle.
The two girls Lucy and Susan never seemed to stop fighting over who was going to be a doctor in the future. Of course in three years time Lucy would start the doctor’s course but Susan always said she would never make it.

CHAPTER TWO

Mom and dad wanted to buy a new house and Lucy could not wait for this big event. Finally she would have her own bedroom. It was really tough for her to share the same room with someone she did not really like.
Chris was totally on her side. He knew it might be very bad to fall or lose your dog but it was the worst thing on earth to share a room with crazy Suzy. On the other hand Andy did not much like the idea of leaving the house. He loved his room so much that to him it meant parting with his best friend.
‘‘Good morning mom’’, Lucy said coming down the stairs for breakfast’’.
‘‘Hie love is Susan still asleep?’’.
‘‘Sorry mum but I don’t know and I don’t care I just pray you buy that house soon before I strangle that girl to death’’, answered Lucy.
‘‘Whats she done this time?’’, asked mother.
‘‘Who knows maybe she has already turned my bed upside down trying to find that stupid trick book she has been looking for, for weeks now’’, ‘‘ aagh that girl never seems to give up wanting to get on my nerves’’, Lucy said making a cup of coffee.
‘‘Someone sounds stressed’’, dad said entering the kitchen.
‘‘Do you have to ask’’, mum asked dad with a smile on the face.
‘‘Dad do you understand the fact that whenever Sniper comes to his sleeping corner Susan always scares or beats him out of our bedroom’’.
‘‘Okay Lus I really understand, surely we are gonna pay for the house today and move tomorrow is that good enough.’’
‘‘Sure dad and whats wrong with you today, no offence but did you just give up without a fight,” replied Lucy..
‘‘Morning aunt, morning uncle, and morning soon to be birthday girl, did I hear right are you finally going to buy the house’’, asked Susan.
‘‘Yep you heard right’’ dad answered.
‘‘I’m surely going to miss sharing the bedroom with you Lucy but well what can I do’’, said Susan taking a sausage from Lucy’s plate.
‘‘Whatever Susan but I am not going to miss you for one bit, am I? Certainly not, and return my sausage’’, Lucy said shaking her head.
“I don’t think its necessary Susan, I mean Lucy you had taken too much anyway. I would not want a fat young lady for a daughter,” said Mrs. Hudges.
“Then you would just have to say she’s your young sister to your friends then,” said dad trying to make a joke out of the whole matter.
Chris and Andy came down for breakfast. They talked about nothing else except for the new house. This certainly was going to be a new beginning for the Hudges family.

The house was a bought and they moved in a week after it had been bought. They had a lot of trouble packing since Mrs. Hudges insisted that they send some of their stuff to the orphanage. Andy however got away with not sending anything away since he claimed every single thing would remind him of his soon-to-be old bedroom.
When they finally settled in it had been through a lot of arguments, reproaches and tears. The only people who seemed to enjoy the moving were mum and Lucy.
‘‘Oh dad my room is so cool and big,’’ ‘‘woof woof,’’ ‘‘and even sniper agrees with me, thank you mom and dad’’, Lucy said with tears in her eyes.
“Its okay, I think, with all this moving today you forgot that today is your birthday. Just see it as your birthday present and the car outside too,” said dad.
“What! Dad you must be joking,” said Lucy running outside.
“I bought Chris a car for his twentieth birthday didn’t I?” said dad laughing.
“We will celebrate in the evening, now I guess its time to go and pack your things in your bedroom,” said mom.

Later in the evening Lucy came marching heavily down the stairs.
‘‘Susan, I thought I was quite clear to you when I told you not to take my chest of drawers why can’t you just use your own and leave me the hell alone.’’
“Cheer up Lucy I mean it’s your birthday after all, I will return it later’’.
‘‘Not later but now Suzy or I am going to strangle you and don’t tell me stupid stuff about cheering up and birthdays okay.’’
‘‘Strangle if you can but if you do whose gonna move that stupid thing of yours?’’ Susan said dragging her feet up the stairs.
‘Me of course I got my own hands, and stop dragging your feet or you will damage the stairs.’’ Lucy replied.
‘‘Well if you can then, I guess now you can so ciao,’’ Susan replied as if she had not heard Lucy's remark.
‘‘Susan you always want to get on my nerves, I won’t say this twice RETURN IT!’’
‘‘Now girls you don’t have to do this do you?’’ Mother said politely, ‘‘Susan just return the chest of drawers and Lucy just calm down,’’ she said holding Lucy on the shoulders.
“ Merci”, guys I was beginning to wonder if moving was a good idea at all if it means having you guys keeping on with your cat and dog fight,” said Chris as he passed through Susan on the stairs.
Susan scowled at him and continued up the stairs. Lucy looked at him and stuck her tongue out at him.

The family settled quite well in their new house. Only two of the big family was very much happy. That was Lucy and Sniper. Sniper could finally enjoy a long night’s sleep close by Lucy and two bedrooms away from Susan.
****************************************
‘‘Tomorrow is my graduation dad, remember?’’ Andy said to his dad, a week later.
‘‘Sure Andy, who would forget it’s like you remind me every hour of the day’’. ‘‘Will you please ask Chris if he will be present?’’
‘‘Okey dokey dad, be back soon so we can play the crossword puzzle.’’
‘‘Sure son’’.
Andy went away for a long time before coming back to report to his dad.
‘‘Dad, I can’t seem to find Chris anywhere indoors or outdoors I suppose he should have been long back by now.’’ ‘‘Maybe he just went out for a short while,’’ replied dad reading the newspaper. ‘‘I am sure by the time we finish playing the crossword he will be back’’, he added.
Andy and daddy finished playing the crossword, had dinner and watched TV but there was still no sign of Chris. Mrs. Hudges was really getting worried and dad was about to go searching for Chris when the phone rang.
‘‘Who could that be at this time of night, ’’ asked Mr. Hudges.
‘‘Well there is only one way to find out and that’s answering the phone,’’ Andy said getting off the sofa.
‘‘Good evening how can I be of your help?” ‘‘Andy is that you’’.
‘‘Ya but the question is who are you’’
‘‘Andy how many times do I have to tell you to be polite on the phone’’, shouted mother.
‘‘It’s me…… Chris.” ‘‘Chris is that you’’. Just then Mrs. Hudges came and took the phone from Andy.
‘‘Chris how are you’’? Where are you, Chris are you alright’’? We were already getting worried,’’ asked Mrs. Hudges about to cry.
‘‘I am at Green ton hospital…….. Some jerk shot me on the leg and it’s….its painful’’, said Chris sounding a bit faint. ‘‘Don’t worry darling we’ll be right there.
Mr. and Mrs. Hudges then immediately set off for the hospital.

*******************
‘‘He should recover in a month or two, should say he is one lucky chap, could have been worse,’’ doctor Thorn said. ‘‘ Oh I just hope he will get better soon, yesterday he did not look very well, can we take him home today,’’ said Mrs. Hudges.
‘‘No, not in two days time but what you can do for now is to try and comfort him as much as possible.’’ Just then two policemen came in doctor thorns office...
‘‘Good morning doctor,’’ one of the policemen said. ‘‘We got a report yesterday about a young man who had been shot and was admitted here in your hospital, we were quite lucky to find the culprit not very faraway from the crime scene, its now up to the young man whether he is gonna press charges or not, for now all we policemen can do is charge him loads of money for using an unlicensed gun,’’ the policeman continued.
‘‘ I am sorry but for now Chris cannot talk quite properly, he seems to be in a lot of pain, for now I guess you have to decide what to do with this culprit as you said,’’ said doctor Thorn.
‘‘Excuse me officer but don’t the parents also have a say in this?’’. ‘Don’t we also press charges?’’ asked Mr. Hudges. ‘‘Nop, just the boy can but help him make a good decision,’’ answered one of the policemen.

After a few days Chris was able to talk. “Honey do you want to press charges or not?” asked Mrs. Hudges one morning.
“No mum lets just let it go it will just give a lot of complications.”
“I know what you mean Chris but you nearly got your leg amputated and the police said they are coming today to hear your side of the story.”
“Well then let me take a bath before….” Before Chris could finish his sentence two policemen who had come the day after Chris admission in the hospital, came into the library. “There is no need to do that young man can we have a minute with you? Just to get your side of the shooting story I am sure it won’t take a few minutes, detective Harry Christina,” he said shaking hands with Chris. The other policeman introduced himself as detective Miguel Pasha. The two detectives both shook hands with Mrs. Hudges and she quickly excused herself from the library.
“Right, Christopher we are going to start off from the time you saw the man and continue with everything that happened in order, tell us everything that you can at least remember,” said detective Harry.
“ Reasons why we want to get your side of the story is because maybe it was your fault and the man who shot you did it for self defense and you can only then press charges if he did it intentionally, do you understand this clearly?” said the other detective.
“Very well detective,” answered Chris. “Very well then, can we begin? Asked detective Harry taking his dictator. He motioned to Chris to begin.
“I was coming from work, Kendall Company, along with my workmate Laurie and when we got near Fifth Avenue she started screaming and before I knew it she had a gun on her throat. The man told me to empty my pockets and to avoid any trouble I did exactly what he said. He took the money and let go of Laurie before shooting me below the knee.” “Do you know why he shot you?” asked detective Miguel.
“I guess it was for he’s safety so that I would not follow him I guess,’’ Answered Chris.
“Is there any kind of relationship between you and Miss Laurie? Asked detective Miguel.
Chris hesitated… “Yes she is my girl friend; we have been dating for three months now.”
“Did you happen to do anything awkward or provoking to this man?”
“Not that I can think of,’’ Chris answered.
“Okay thank you, could you please give us Miss Laurie’s address so we can question her too?” Asked detective Harry as he was standing up.
“Sure she lives just around the corner no. 16 maple road. The two police detectives shook hands with Chris and bid him a speedy recovery. As the two men got out of the study they met with Lucy on the door. Lucy at the sight of Miguel pasha began to blush uncontrollably.
“Oh, I didn’t know we had visitors, morning to you,” said Lucy looking down. As harry was much older than Miguel and obviously knew what was happening he greeted Lucy and bid her goodbye then told Miguel that he would be waiting for him in the car.
“Hie, I am Miguel pasha and I am working on Christopher’s case’.
“That’s really nice of you I am Lucy and I am Chris’ sister. “Nice to meet you Lucy, mm…. would you mind going for lunch today that is if you do not have anything better to do?”
“Well I guess that’s okay if it won’t cause problems with Chris’ case,” answered Lucy.
“Not at all.”
The whole morning Lucy was just dreamy.
“Whats wrong with you today Lus? It is like you are just dreaming all the time. Is it some lucky guy or something like that.’’
“I don’t know what to make of it Chris it’s so good to be true and to answer your question yes it is some lucky guy. And he is so hot and handsome, you even know him.”

“I don’t think I do but the guy that might match your description is that detective that was here just now.” “You got that right he actually asked me out for lunch today.”
“What! I don’t believe this, my own sister being asked out by a mature guy not a stupid high school kid.”
“Whatever Chris I had better go and prepare please tell mum for me.

******************

“Chris, is aunt back?” I really need to go out now and if I don’t go in the next couple of minutes I wont be able to go where I wanna go until next week.”
“ oh today seems to be the Hudges girls lucky day, have you also got a date and she is not yet back from where exactly coz I didn’t see her when she went out.”
“ never mind and whatever date thing you are talking about, I don’t know anything about it so maybe I am not the lucky Hudges girl after all.” Before Chris could answer Susan was already closing the libraries door and all he could do was shake his head.

***********
“So how was your date?’’ asked mother.
“Well it was okay I guess, we just talked about school you know the usual thing.”
“The usual thing? With my first date we talked about the latest rock n roll group and you say school is the usual thing? Wow.”
“Listen to yourself mom; I suppose your first date was like…what um 43 years ago. 20th century mom. Now its 2009, notice the difference?”
“Are you trying to say I am old?”
“I wont lie to you mom,” Lucy said hugging her mom.
Mrs. Hudges just laughed and started to prepare their supper.
“Wanna help?” she asked as Lucy prepared to leave.
“Come on mom, get Suz to help. I really need to work on my biology I already missed some study time this afternoon.”
“Do you seriously think I would ask you the kitchen hater to help me if Suz was here?”
“She isn’t around?”
“No, chris said she went out about an hour after you. Any idea where she went?”
“Nop, sorry. I’ll help but on condition you never ask me to help with cooking in my entire life ever again.”
“Condition agreed on. Now please will you peel the potatoes?” Mrs. Hudges said putting the cold turkey inside the oven.

An hour later they were done with the cooking and Lucy went up to Chris’ room.

“Whats up dude.” She said as she got in.
“skip the hies, how was your date?’
“Great!”
“Is that all you have to say?”
“What more is there to say?” Lucy asked shrugging.
“Lus do you like this guy?”
“Would you go on a date with someone you don’t like?” at this time she was sitting on his couch.
Chris just looked at her.
“Fine. I don’t. I mean he’s got a great body and all but he’s just irritating. He asked me the same question about ten times. How is school? Seriously! I don’t think I want to go out with him anymore. Now I have a date with him tomorrow after school. Can you imagine? Its like I am coming from school going to school.”
Chris started laughing.
“What!” Lucy snapped.
“Why did you even say yes in the first place?”
“At school only losers like Suz don’t have boyfriends. And there comes a hot, young policeman and he asks me out. What the hell did you expect me to say?”
“Come on Lus. You must be wiser than that .you can’t just say yes to someone because he is hot and you happen to be free. Anyway what are you planning on doing about the date tomorrow?”
“Well I was kind of hoping you would help me on that one?”
Lucy asked hopefully.
“Sorry but no lil’ sis. You are on your own on this one.” Chris said shaking his head.
“Ya, I thought as much what a brother I have. To think most of the girls at school are jealous of me.”
“Come on don’t hate on me. I just think you should solve this on your own so you can learn your lesson. Besides when you have got such hot brother like me everyone is bound to be jealous of you.”
“Ya right!” Lucy said as she stood to go out.

*******
‘‘Chris, do you know you are the reason why mom and dad did not attend my graduation,” Andy asked Chris one afternoon.
“I know Andy and I am sorry I will surely buy you a lot of candy to pay for it isn’t it,” Chris answered.
“Sure and thanks,” replied Andy.
Andy got a lot of candy that month and Chris got well. Then problems began for Lucy.

Hey mom it’s almost Caroline’s birthday and I am kind of wondering what I can get her, any suggestions?” asked Lucy.
“Caroline’s your best friend you can ask her, cant you?” “No mom it will only get her suspicious.”
“So? Would you rather buy her a present she does not want than have her get suspicious?”
“Well none of them will do mom I will just have to find out by myself anywhere thank you for your not helping help,” said Lucy.
“You asked me yourself and I told you my honest answer Lus,” said Mrs. Hudges going up the stairs.
Lucy knew Caroline very well. They had been friends since their first grade. They trusted and shared secrets with each other that they even gave each other their school locker passwords. One thing Lucy knew that Caroline did not like was one who invaded in her private stuff especially her locker.
“Hie Lus,”
“Hie Carol,” the girls greeted each other.
“You know Lus, I wonder what my mom is going to buy me for a birthday present, I mean this time I don’t think I am ever gonna find out because she has not yet gone to the mall yet she usually goes about three days before my birthday and if I ask her maybe I will be spoiling some kind of unknown surprise.”
“I don’t know Carol but just be patient you might never know and I just hope you are not thinking about begging me to ask your brother for you because if you are forget and smile,” answered Lucy closing her locker.
“Even if you knew you would not tell me since your mind is all full of ze' Miguel Pasha,” said Caroline.
“ Don’t be silly I am certainly not like you and Steve its like your world rotates around him, besides the only reason I am going out with him is I don’t have the courage to tell him that I am not all that crazy for him’’.
“Whatever Lucy, admit it after all these dates you have gone out with him I am sure you now at least like him.”
“You go on believing what you want Carol,” Lucy said walking away.
During the arithmacy lesson Lucy excused herself and told the teacher that she was not feeling well and had to go and get some water at the cafeteria. As she got out she ran straight to Caroline’s locker. She quickly opened it, took her diary and read it. She got her question answered, returned the diary then ran back to her class. . When Lucy arrived in class she was quite surprised to see the teacher angry and Caroline crying pitifully.
“Don’t talk to me Lucy, as far as I am concerned you are not my friend anymore,” Caroline answered crying.
“Carol what do you mean? Did I do anything wrong?”
“no you did not you just excused yourself from the lesson and on your way out you just happened to find my diary down on the door then you picked it up, stood on my locker then read it,” answered Caroline collecting her books and leaving the classroom.
“Carol please wait!”
“No Lucy just leave me alone!”
“Miss Lucy what you did was totally unacceptable next time you might get suspended. The rules of the school say you should not lie and you should not invade in other peoples business without their permission, understand?” said Mrs. Daft.
“Yes and I am sorry,”
“I am not the one you should be apologizing to nevertheless you are forgiven now out you go,” answered Mrs. Daft with a wave of her hand.
“But mam, how did you know opened her locker?”
Lucy asked hopelessly.
“Lizzy saw you when she was going to the loo.”
Lucy went out of the classroom quietly. She couldn’t believe Liz had done something like this. She had never done anything wrong to her and they had always been friends.
Lucy spent the whole day trying to explain to Caroline why she opened her locker but Caroline would hear nothing of it. Lucy knew she had to do something but what exactly could she do.
“Afternoon mother,” Lucy said.
“Hie but why call me mother? And that long face does not suit you Lucy,” said mother with a smile on her face.
“Its not funny mom, today I got myself intro real big trouble.”
“I know, Susan told me, her best friend’s sister learns in the same class as yours remember?”
“Ya, you probably think that I am the stupidest child you have ever seen in your whole life, ha?
“No, but I really think you acted out of thinking, I mean you should have found other means to ask her, even asking her brother or sister if they had an idea would have been better.”
“Mom I possibly could not have asked them. Carol’s sister is like her twin they tell each other everything and as for her brother Ethan I would have rather been suspended than talk to him because he has some kind of crush on me.”
“It’s OK Lucy now I guess it’s your own baby to find a way to ask Caroline for forgiveness.”
“I guess you are right mom,” said Lucy going to Susan’s bedroom.

“Susan what wrong have I ever done to you?” asked Lucy as she entered Susan’s bedroom.
“A lot but for now I will just say nothing why ask?” “Because it is like you do everything wrong to me”
“What have I done to you now Lucy?”
“you still have the guts to ask?” after sending your stupid friends sister to spy on me, you know Susan I think you are the worst person I have seen on earth but to the extent of reading my diary, please.”
“I never read your diary Lucy.”
“Then how the hell did you know I was going to open Caroline’s locker during the arithmacy lesson?”
“Through a dream, isn’t that the answer you want. Stop trying to make your problems other peoples, now please leave because I really need to finish this book,” answered Susan turning back to her novel.
“You know Susan I cant believe you could send someone to spy on your own cousin, well Susan if it never dawned on you, your dad is my dad’s brother and nothing you can do or say can change that fact so at least try hard to have feelings and love other people especially us your cousins,” and with that Lucy went out of the room. She then went to her room. When she arrived and she heard her phone ringing from where it was on the bed.
“Hie Miguel”
“Hey is something wrong your voice is just sounding like one of a very evil witch”.
“Thanks a lot Miguel if you really knew what I am going through now you would not have dared say a word.”
“Is it really that serious? I know the story because Steve told me and in my opinion, well… um... I love you but well… you did wrong… and you do not know how hard that was for me to say.”
“Geez, thanks and bye”, and with that Lucy hang over.

******
“Lucy I heard about what happened at school and I cannot let it go just like that I have decided to ground you for a week and that means you came home straight from school,” dad said at dinner time, “and there is no way you can overlook that because your mum will be taking a two month leave from work so she will be kind of my eye,” he continued.
“First mum then Susan then Miguel and now its you. Lucy I heard, Lucy this and Lucy you did wrong. How many times am I supposed to take this into my head? You must be joking dad, mum said nothing but you come and say you want to ground me? “When was the last time you grounded Chris or Suzy I am not barging dad forget and smile,” answered Lucy.
“Lucy! That’s no way to talk to your dad,” mother intervened.
“Don’t tell me you are also on his side mom, in this house I feel like only Chris understands me, Chris help me out here,”
“Sorry sis but this is your baby, mom and dad please just doesn’t be too hard on her,” said Chris taking his plate to the kitchen.
“I guess I might just as well go to bed,” said Lucy gloomily.
“Susan clear the table and ask Chris and Andy to help you do the dishes.”
“Okay aunt whatever you say,” answered Susan.
After the kids had gone Mrs. Hudges then turned to her husband.
“Honey don’t you think you were a bit hush on Lucy? I mean tomorrow is her best friend’s birthday and by what happened today, tomorrow she might consider not going to school,” said Mrs. Hudges.
“If you had asked me that question before she answered me I would have said yes but as for now no I don’t think so,” answered Mr. Hudges.
The next day Lucy went quite early to school. Yes she had bought Caroline’s present but she did not know how to give it to her. She wrote an apology letter and put it into Caroline’s birthday card then together with her present she put it into Caroline’s locker. Caroline arrived at school and was in a very good mood for she had received a beautiful pony from her dad and a small puppy dog from her mom from her brother she got a pink diary and from her sister she got nice jewellery of all sorts and a nice jewellery box. Last but not least Steve had got her a nice charm bracelet which on one of the charms had a picture of the two kissing. Just as she opened her locker she saw a card, she opened the card and inside it was a letter addressed to her, it read
“Hie carol, l am so sorry about what l did yesterday I did not mean to but l had no other way to find out what you wanted for your birthday present from me without letting you know. It just so happened that my cousin Susan read my diary and told Lizzie to follow me during Arimancy. Again l say l am sorry. You are my best friend and l love you so much will you please forgive me."
Caroline then saw the golden watch. She ran to her friend Lucy and through all the stuff in to Lucy's hands.
“You can keep all your presents and maybe you can give them to your real friend. And as I said before stay away from me!” Caroline gave Lucy all her presents back but in her heart she really wished she had kept them but she was too ashamed to.
“Well you know what carol I don’t think I care anymore I just don’t. I have tried all that I can but you still wont forgive me so stay with your stubbornness and don’t worry I will definitely stay away from you!” shouted Lucy back.

The girls spent a week not talking to each other. Chris had an idea and he went to discuss it with Miguel and Steve. The next morning Lucy received an apology letter and so did Caroline. At school the girls just hugged each other but they were both surprised when carol thanked Lucy for the letter and so did carol.
“I never wrote an apology letter for you,” said Lucy.
“Nor did I,” answered Caroline.
“But we did,” said the two boyfriends.
“You guys are really great friends its time you stopped fighting I know both of you want a truce,” said Miguel.
“Well I guess we do,” said Lucy and Caroline at the same time. The girls hugged each other and Miguel was the one to break the happy moment.
“I have to go now guys, Luc you forgot this,” he said giving her the present she had bought for Caroline. Caroline gratefully took the present.
“Oh Lucy l am so sorry l did not mean to get that angry please forgive me and thank you for the wonderful birthday present.”
“You are welcome Carol and l am sorry too, friends?
“Sure why not,” answered Caroline.
The girls went to class and that day Caroline went for a sleepover at Lucy’s home. The girls became better friends than they had already been thanks to their loving friends.
“Hie Lucy.”
“What do you want Chris?”
“Geez, I only wanted to know if you are still planning on dumping Miguel. It’s been a month already since you told me. And they have dropped my case so you won’t have to deal with him anymore because he won’t be coming around anymore.”
“No, I don’t think I still want to. I kind of like him now. I guess he was just nervous on our first date. How is Laurie?”
“She’s okay.’
“Why did they drop your case?”
“Because it was just as I said it was. The person wanted money and that’s it. They couldn’t find anything else.”
“I guess you are glad right?”
“Right. Well I better get gone. I am having supper at Laurie’s’ house tonight.”
“Thanks. Please say Hie to her. And that cute brother of her. How old is he?”
“About ten. Don’t tell me you now want to be a cougar.”
“Nope. I am quite comfortable with Miguel.”
“I’m glad. Bye.”

“Hie Lus I thought you could wish me luck today as I am starting my season exams,” said Susan one Monday morning.
“Okay Suz good luck for your test today although I think it’s rather worthless to say that to you but as you asked”. Said Lucy rather politely than she usually was with Susan.
Susan went to school and she got into class and got ready for the test. Susan was one of the children you could call intelligent. What let her down was she generally mostly cared about her outside appearance than she did for her school work and lately she had been going away for the whole of Saturday instead of doing her school work to nobody knew where. The teacher came handed out the papers and the children began to right. Halfway through the test it got hard for her then she decided to copy the girl who was sitting next to her. Rosy was quite an intelligent girl. Unfortunately Susan’s teacher saw her do this.
“Susan what you are doing is not acceptable quickly hand in that paper and go back straight home,” said Susan’s teacher angrily.
“Sorry mam I wanted to take my fallen pen from under her desk,” said Susan trying to look innocent.
“Susan that’s the oldest excuse in the book!” shouted Susan’s teacher.
Susan gave up trying to making up excuses and gave in her paper to the teacher

*******.
“Afternoon aunty,” said Susan.
“Hie Suz and why are you back so soon should you not be writing your second test now,” asked Mrs. Hudges worriedly. “I got suspended aunt,” answered Susan.
“For what now Suzy?”
“Can’t tell,” answered Susan going up the steps.
“Suzy you shall tell me now or else I will call your uncle,” said Mrs. Hudges raising her voice.
“The teacher saw me copying.”
“Susan how could you embarrass me so? I cant do or say anything to you I am going to tell your teacher to forgive but one thing I know is your uncle is not gonna take this down easily,” said Mrs. Hudges.
Susan went slowly up the steps into her room and slept until her uncle came back from work.

She found him busy down stairs working on his computer.
“Good evening uncle.”
“Hie Susan I heard about how you behaved today at school
I am very displeased to find myself saying this but I was very disappointed and I had no choice than to call your parents, I hope you understand what I mean by this,” said father.
“Don’t worst your time asking her if she understands dad because...,”
“Lucy shut up and do something that is better than sticking your nose into other peoples business!” shouted Mrs. Hudges from the kitchen where she was finishing the supper arrangements.
“Should I also shut up mom,” asked Andy innocently.
Mrs. Hudges did not reply but Andy took it as a yes and he went away to his room. Susan did not try to argue with her uncle but she just said a yes uncle gloomily and went to watch TV.

The next morning Lucy went to Susan's room to look

For her pair of school stockings which she thought might have been misplaced by her mom when she did the laundry. “Hie…Suz you are crying?” asked Lucy.
Susan was sitting on her bed crying bitterly.
“What do you want Lucy?”
This time Lucy did not try to be mean, she had never seen Susan cry so bitterly and pitifully.
“Susan why are you crying, is everything okay?”
“As If you should ask Lucy.”

“How can I know what is happening in that head of yours”. “That is because you have everything that you could ever wish for you do not know how much I wish to have a family like you do Lucy. Everyday maybe you guys always wonder why I have such a behavior Lucy just let me tell you to end your curiosity I just wish you guys could try and treat me as one of you, my parents never come just to say hello or even phone, have you ever taken even a minute to wonder which days they ever come and what will have ever happened?” Asked Susan crying even more. “And I bet you,” she continued, “never knew I had a brother well I only found out three months ago.” Although Lucy tried to make she carefree there were some tears in her eyes but she tried as much not to show it.
“Susan stop crying and most of all stop trying to get sentimental with me okay and this brother thing is just one of your stupid tricks I know it is,” she said and immediately she went out of the room.

“Good morning mom where is dad?”
“Morning honey in the gym, why ask?”
“Mom I want to talk to you about something,” answered Lucy.
“What is it honey is there a problem?”
“yes mom its Susan she is near to breaking point why cant you just fix the problem without involving her parents and she said something about a brother or something like that?” before mother could say anything father came in the kitchen from the gym outside.
“Lucy than discussing matters that don’t concern you go and prepare for school,” he said.
“dad these days you are being very cruel indeed, I don’t mean to be disrespectful but this time you shoed me that somehow you do not give a damn sooner or later dad you are going to see that I was right when that girl in the second bedroom has reached her breaking point and she wont be there for you to apologise to her,” said Lucy crying.
Her father did not reply but instead he went straight to bath. After dad had gone Lucy went to her brother’s bedroom.
”Hie Lus should you not be getting ready for school” asked Chris.
“Yes chris but I cannot just stand and listen while mom and dad hurt Susan’s feelings like that.”
“What do you mean Lus”, asked Chris rather confused. “Well yesterday I talked to her in the evening and she was very sad about the thing …OH Chris l thing we have to help her”, said Lucy crying to Chris.
“Lucy all I have to say is I am so shocked with all the love you are showing to Lucy and all I can promise you now is by the time you come back from school I will be having a plan now off you go”, said chris waving his hand.
Lucy went out of the room with a much lighter heart but at school she could not concentrate in any subject in any subject at all. Yes Susan’s were coming today but anything that chris planned always worked but she could not put her heart at ease. Had she been that mean to Susan.
Mrs. Hudges came to collect the two girls from school and today they were not fighting or talking at least to her as they usually did. When they got home Susan ran straight to their study were she knew she would find Chris working on his book.
“Hie Chris, do you have the plan? Asked Lucy as she darted into the room.
“Yes Lucy all she has to do is tell them what she really feels I mean whatever she told you last night as you said”, said Chris casually.
“OH…Chris why did I to even think about that you are such a genius I love you so much I cant even state how much, thanks and bye”, said Lucy happily and she ran down the corridor to Susan's bedroom. Lucy broke down the plan to Susan and Susan asked her why she was being so nice. “Susan I have just discovered that we have been horribly mean to you so I am sorry and I hope this can fix our relationship as cousin’s and happy birthday”, said Lucy giving Susan a nice jewelry box... Before Susan could answer they had the door opening. Lucy went out of Susan’s bedroom and called out to Chris then ran downstairs. She saw her aunt and uncle hugging Andy who seemed very happy to see them. Chris came and all they said was Hie and welcome to our residence. For Lucy it was partly because she was starting to dislike her aunt and uncle but for Chris he was just trying to please his younger sister but if she was not there he would have given them a big hug. The parents sat down for a while then Susan came down the steps very slowly and reluctantly and she greeted her parents.
“Susan as you know we have not come to Hie mom Hie dad here, come to discipline you then go back”, said Susan's father suddenly changing his mood. Susan did not say anything but just kept quiet.
“Go to your room and there will be no supper for you today we will deal with you tomorrow”, continued her father. Susan neither said anything nor moved and this really got her dad angry, when he was about to stand and hit her in the face she started crying.
“Stop crying this instant and go and do what I said!” her dad shouted.
“No dad I am not going anyway how many times do you have to keep on disciplining me for once in your life mom and dad try and act like real parents did you ever stop and wonder how many times you saw me nice you gave birth to me mom? well guess what only two all these times was because you wanted to discipline men well thanks now I really know how much I mean to you and today is my birthday but I’m sure you did not even know that did you and your son is suffering down the re in the orphanage oh did you think I’d not find out? Well I guess I did” said Susan as she burst into tears.
Before Mary and Robert could say anything Susan went to her room.
“Chris and Lucy take your young brother and g to sleep”, said Mrs. Hudges.
“Excuse me mom its only half past two you can’t expect us to sleep”, said Chris.
“Sorry honey go to the park or somewhere”, answered mom .The
Children went out to the park. Chris and Lucy could not help feeling anxious.

In the house the parents stayed and had the most serious talk in their lives.
“David,” said Lucy’s dad to his brother, “I think Susan is right, you have never been really there for Susan, anyway even if you had taken her to England I don’t doubt she’d be saying the same thing but this scandal would never…..’’ ‘Honey is there really any need, whats happened has happened,’ intervened Mrs. Hudges.
David just nodded his head without saying anything his wife was already crying. For a few minutes the family stayed silent until David said something.
‘So what are we going to do about this situation and how the hell did she know she had a brother?’ David asked his brother.
‘ I have no idea bunt I think she might have been spying on us and that’s up to you but just to let you know, she is more than welcome in my house,’ Mr. Hudges said understandingly.
‘I…I don’t...know’ before Lucia could finish her sentence Susan stood up from where she had been sitting on the stairs and replied
‘Take me to the orphanage.’
Lucia stood from her sofa and ran up the stairs to where her daughter was and hugged her. Although Susan felt like running free from her she was so overcome by the power of the hug that came from someone who had never done that to her.
“I am so sorry Suz I promise I will be what you want me to be,” said Lucia. Before she could reply her dad also came and joined in the hug.
“We love you Susan,” he said.
Susan could not say anything because at this time she was crying a lot. Her mother took her to the sofas and she sat beside her. She kept on repeating how sorry she was and Susan could do nothing but nod her head.
“Susan, how did you find out about your brother?” asked David.
“I followed uncle when he went some time ago.”
“Well, I think it was wrong for us not to tell you. But just try and understand. We made a mistake.”
“A mistake? You call that a mistake? Hess there in the orphanage while you live your luxurious lives. He doesn’t even know you are his parents. He won’t even believe me when I say I am his sister. And when I tried to explain it to him the last time I went, the matrons banned me from coming back because I’d set him on edge. That’s a mistake right? You know what, I really don’t care what you do now, and you might just as well hit me and go.” Susan said standing up and shrugging off her moms restraining hand.
“Susan, we’ll make it right. Can’t you just understand us? We are sorry okay. Your brother has to stay there. We can’t bring him to stay with us and you know that. Don’t you? Just give us a chance to explain.” Begged her father.
“Explain what? That you almost sent me there? I am sorry but I don’t think I really wanna listen.”
“Susan please just listen,” said Mrs. Hudges.
“I don’t want to, aunt Mariah already told me. I asked her if you don’t want him and she told me. No explanations needed here. I understand. It’s just difficult to actually show it to people you have always despised for most of your life.”
Everyone was quiet for a while and then Mrs. Hudges stood up and went to prepare some tea. Susan went up the stairs to her room quietly.
The parents stayed and continued their discussion and finally the parents agreed that Susan would stay with the elder Hudges but Susan's parents would come every month to visit.
When the Lucy, Chris and Andy decided to come back home they were quite taken aback when they found their parents their aunt and uncle drinking coffee happily. Susan however they found sleeping soundly in her room.
They decided to save the questions for later and join in the tea party the family seemed to be having. Later that evening after supper Susan told them everything that had happened. Susan’s parents cancelled their trips and they stayed for one full week and a day.
Although Susan didn’t talk to them much she seemed to at least get used to the idea of having parents who actually seemed cared for her.

Andys pet Tiger was sick.
“He’ll be okay honey. “Your mom is a vet remember? So she knows okay,” Mrs. Hudges would find herself saying this almost every single day.
“I know mum but all the same I can’t help getting worried. He is not even trying to eat and it is the best cat food in the city.”
Chris was the most supportive of all. He would listen to everything Andy had to say about his cat very patiently.
Chris trusted in what his mom said about the recovery of Andy’s cat. However he did not know that his mom was just saying this to make the time pass before the cat finally died.
“Andy obviously you don’t think Tiger is going to die. Just listen to mom I guess she knows the truth, he is not going to die,” he would always say.
The cat would not eat or even do the usual activities it always did with Andy. Mum tried her best and gave it all the medicine that she could think of but it would not get better.
Everyone was a bit worried and Sniper spent the whole day with Tiger. Lucy was getting afraid that he would also end up catching the disease but mom comforted her by saying the disease was not contagious.

It was now six days since Tiger had fallen sick. When Andy woke up to go and find out how he was doing he found tiger crying very softly but he seemed to be in a lot of pain. He called his mom and dad. His mom could not comfort Andy any longer she had to tell him the truth.
“Andy Tiger is really sick there is nothing else we can do but take him down,” she said stroking his head.
“No mom! You are not going to do that. You told me he was going to be okay and I believed you mom so I know he is going to be okay,” cried Andy.
Mom knew she could not do anything but just await the death of tiger. However she still gave him medicine and tried as much as she could to save him.
Andy thought he could not trust his mother anymore so he took tiger to a vet he knew in town. The vet knew Mr. and Mrs. Hudges very well and he kindly explained to Andy that tiger could not be saved. Andy could not believe this so he went with tiger back home and did everything he had seen his parents do to sick animals before. When his mom cane back she explained to him why she had lied. The next morning when Andy went to check on Tiger he saw her already dead.
Susan also cried for Tiger besides Andy and Chris. Lucy was hurt that even her tears would not come out. What hurt Chris the most was seeing Andy crying this bitterly. They buried Tiger in the backyard were they had said they would bury their dead pets. When Andy said his speech he also told his mom about what had happened the previous day with the vet. Of course Mrs. Hudges had been told about this already by the vet but she pretended not to have heard this before.

Since the last time grandma had come to visit she had never come back. It was near Christmas and surprisingly no one in the family was looking forward to it.
The postman had not come for a long time but on that Saturday he came. Mum is the one who received the letter and it read,
“Greetings to you sister-in-law. However they are not happy greetings at all. I am sorry to tell you this but mother passed away yesterday. I could not call to tell you this and I thought writing would make it easier for you and your family to bear this news well. Will tell you everything when you arrive.
Your sister-in-law
Mariah”

Mrs. Hudges was too surprised to even say a word. She walked slowly into the lounge and sat down quietly holding her mouth. Lucy came down the stairs happily running and was quite surprised when she saw her mother sitting holding a paper. She seemed to be crying. Lucy walked slowly to where her mother was sitting and knew better than talk to her. She took the letter from her mother’s hands and read it. Lucy almost fainted at this news however Susan caught her before she fell. She too had read the letter while Lucy was reading it. But Lucy had not seen her. Susan quickly ran to the phone and phoned her uncle she only managed to tell him that something ha happened and she put down the.

Everyone was deeply hurt but Andy was the most hurt. He just would not get out of his bedroom.
“How could this have happened? How did she die? I mean we saw her last winter,” cried Mrs. Hudges.
“And I never had any chance say goodbye,” cried Lucy. The family went to their gram’s funeral the next day.
“Dad do we –get to watch her being cremated?” asked Andy.
“No son,” answered dad silently. Chris put his arm on Andy’s arms and Susan began to cry.

They got there in the afternoon and Aunt Mariah explained everything. Susan’s parents were already there.
“we had just finished lunch an d she took her carriage to go and visit the church one of the horses stumbled and fell the carriage tipped over rand threw her out, she landed on her head and broke her neck. She died before anyone could save her,” said Aunt Mariah already crying.
“The children can say something if they want to ….l guess,” she continued.
“I want to say something aunt,” said Andy. Mariah just smiled a very faint smile.
“Well I guess we’d better go then, I am sure everyone is here now.” Said Andy’s dad.
A lot of people were at the chapel, some were crying and some were just sitting without saying a single word. The children were just quiet because they had never been to funeral before except for Chris.
“Thank you everyone for coming to this special but sorrowful event. We have come to bury the ashes of Annabelle Hudges the wife of James Hudges and mother or Mariah, David, peter and Kirsten Hudges. And finally daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Pitlow. We shall have a few words from her close relatives and some of her grandchildren. Mmm Andy Hudges will go first.”
Andy walked slowly to the front and stood in front of everyone shivering a bit. Suddenly he burst out and started saying a lot of things his father beckoned to him to be steady and say what he wanted to say properly.
“Grandma was the best gran I ever had. I last saw her in winter and she had brought me a new bicycle. She said she would ride with me when she came next winter but I guess it’s never going to happen. I was planning a surprise visit for her this Christmas but I guess that’s also no more. I love you grandma and rest in peace. I am really gonna miss you what I also don’t understand is why did she have to die one week after my pets death. Farewell grandma and I know with tiger my cay you won’t be lonely.’’
As Andy was going to sit down people clapped hands for him and some began to cry. Dad said his speech and so did a few others. The ashes which were in a box were buried and everyone went back to grandma’s home for tea and cake. All the while Andy sat next to his grandfather and he found a lot of comfort from him. Andy knew his grandfather would be lonely without grandma so he invited him to their home after consulting with his parents of course, and surprisingly he agreed.

Christmas came and went and with it came the New Year.
Birthdays came and went and one of the most important events in the Hudges family came, Chris got married to Laurie. They bought a condo and by November they had a baby girl who they name Luciana.
David and his wife finally went to the orphanage and they explained everything to Daniel, their son, and he went to stay with Lucy's parents. Lucy went to medical school to practice psychiatry. Grandpa Hudges came to permanently stay with the older Hudges. The family now consisted of Daniel, Susan, and Andy, grandpa and Mr. and Mrs. Hudges. Chris, Laurie and Luciana would come to visit for days on end. Lucy came every vacation she had.

The family lived happily together. They had disputes like any normal family but because of their togetherness they survived it!

The end.