My Travelogue | Teen Ink

My Travelogue

By EthanWicks, Spirit Lake, Iowa
EthanWicks, Spirit Lake, Iowa

Author's note: I wrote this as a freshmen ELA project.

It was a long evening packing, and
couldn’t contain my excitement any longer. I felt very satisfied when I finished. (IC DC) It was incredibly hard to fall asleep as I thought if the next day’s journey. The next day I said goodbye to my parents and started up the engine of my Mustang. The v8 engine was music to my ears. I hopped in and started the greatest ever college tour in American history.

I was somewhat nervous for the journey. I had planned for hours on end, yet it wasn’t enough. I stayed relaxed as I passed through the rolling fields of Nebraska, corn being the only sight for many miles (Some great visual details here!). I finally caught sight of civilization as I reached Columbus.

I ate a few cheeseburgers and a coke as my first meal at Wendy’s. I was in rather deep thought as I filled up the tank of the car at Kum and Go as to what will someday happen to the world’s gas. It was awfully expensive. (IC. IC.) Maybe we would switch completely to electric? (YEA! Way to bring in the environmental impact of travel.) I stored the thoughts away in my head as I enjoyed the food. The rest of the journey was quite the same; just another stop in North Platte as I got near Colorado Springs. (IC; IC)

I grew weary as I approached my destination. I found another gas station, hopefully my last for the day. The mountains sure looked beautiful against the evening sky. I found a nice hotel to hit the hay in. I was very close to the Air Force Academy and Pike’s Peak, the jewels of the next day. (Again...I like your language choice here... “the jewels...”)

As I finally settled down for the night, I reflected on how far I had come to tour the colleges and landmarks. I already missed my parents awfully. I thought that I just start eating healthier on the trip, I felt kind of hungry from the junk food. I couldn’t wait to begin the next day. Tomorrow would be a brand new day, because I would tour my first college I was ecstatic. (IC, CC IC.)

Very well done!

I made a maps to show my increasing elevation and my trip progress

This was a day I have only dreamed of, an exciting tour of my favorite college! I was ready to explode (Good example of hyperbole) with joy as I hastily packed my light packages, ate some hotel breakfast, and departed. The college was about fifteen miles from my hotel, and it was quite a long ride! I thought about the honor of serving in the “mightiest military for miles”. I heard the campus was stunning and very well run.

As I arrived, there were many miniscule, private roads with tight security. I’m glad I packed light, the search wasn’t very long. The approaching campus was along the elegant horizon of the Rocky Mountains. I had already called ahead of time and the time fit my schedule perfectly.

The tour was self guided, so I went at my own leisurely pace. I wanted to soak it all in. First I toured the large chapel. It was gorgeous! Next I toured the athletic stadium. The scene was very majestic and I felt much pride. I wasn’t allowed to tour the dorms due to 9/11. The visitor center and gift shop were lovely and had many pictures of cadet life. I had spent three hours before getting ready to depart and I was now on my way to my next stop; a car ride up to the top of Pike’s Peak. Once I got onto the road I was somewhat nervous of falling off the guardrail on the side, but it left me once I got used to the curves. The view was amazing during my ascent. The top of the mountain I could see for many, many miles. I had hope it would stay this way forever, I couldn’t stand human interaction ruining this oasis of beauty.

The ride back I felt very satisfied and that I had accomplished a lot for the day. I was lucky that my two locations were within miles of each other. I felt a pang of sadness that I would be leaving this stunning state. I had five hours to drive before I reached my next stop, Durango, Colorado. I had a lot of time to reflect about the amazing start of my journey. I wanted a wonderful restaurant to celebrate my accomplishments. I found a restaurant the locals raved about called RGP’s Flame Grilled Wraps. I bought a pulled pork wrap and it was the best I’ve ever had. I had my last day’s gas trip and found a hotel to crash in. The Hampton Inn sounded nice.

My night was more peaceful than the first. I was now starting a cycle I would continue for the next week or two of my trip I was accomplishing my goal of more variety with restaurants, gorging on fast food was a bad thing to do. I really needed to go above and beyond with college visits from now on, The Air Force was quite restricted with visits as a military college, and I would have have to call the Administrative Office ahead of time to reserve tour when I visited the four regular colleges. I was pumped for the Grand Canyon and hopefully a visit to Texas A&M.

I sprang (Great verb!)out of bed ready to take on the fantastic day ahead of me. The hotel was different than the others, I didn’t know the relative location of the dining hall. A hotel worker noticed I was in a predicament and gave assistance. She replied, “The dining hall is to the left of the lobby 3 rooms down. I was definitely getting close to the Southwest, it was getting very hot and dry. I remembered it was supposed to get very hot down in the Grand Canyon. I ate my breakfast and thanked myself for checking the weather. The canyon used to feel so far away, as I have never been there. The quick pace of this trip shows that it isn’t very far now.

I also saw more white cars down here. People down south react to the environment by taking advantage of colors that reflect heat. Another change was that I saw more Hispanic people. These people immigrated from Mexico probably because of the promise of a greater lifestyle. This region of the United States was a type of its own. The ride down was shorter than expected. I eventually reached the park and checked in. It would be completely worth it to pay twenty-five dollars. It would all be going into the effort of preserving the park.

I made a map to explain the increasing heat of this region.

It was a small walk until I saw the rim of the gorge. It was magnificent!

The large walls sheltered the deep inside, which was composed of many layers of limestone and shale. The ribbons told of the great age of the monument. I realized how limestone reacts with acid easily and feared erosion from acid rain. Acid rain is sulfuric acid, which easily corrodes limestone. It all tied back to pollution from vehicle emissions. The Grand Canyon eroding away would be a horrible, but inevitable fate. I hoped the pollution would someday reduce so many more generations could experience its splendor. I ate some trail mix from a stand as I departed.

I was now be on my way to Texas A&M. I had already called ahead for the tour and it would be open for me. I would have to stop in Gallup, New Mexico for a place to stay the night. As I arrived, I ate at a Cracker Barrel and found my hotel. It was amazing, how far I had come on my third day. Hopefully I would have a more thorough tour. The Air Force Academy didn’t offer too much to the public, as it was a military college.

I finally checked into my hotel for the night and reflected on my amazing visit to my second landmark. I needed to take more pictures at the Grand Canyon. I would remember this when I visited my next stops. also decided not to consume so much spicy meat at restaurants. Fancy restaurants approached the idea of burning your money instead of your heart. But it was a vacation, so why not spend money?

Day 4:

I shot out of my hotel room after hastily packing. I had an entire day of traveling ahead of me. I hoped to arrive in Fort Worth by nightfall. I smelled the amazing aromas down in the dining hall. It was a southern-style buffet and I was starving. I was so hungry I could eat a herd of cattle and ask for seconds! The sausage and grits was my highlight; savory, though somewhat greasy. I started up the Mustang and was glad I was finally breaking it in. I was getting some miles on this baby! I hit the highway and journeyed on.

My first stop of the day was to reach Albuquerque, New Mexico, to refill my gas. My breakfast was huge so I would be like an anaconda and eat halfway through Texas. Around afternoon I arrived at Amarillo, Texas and asked some local residents if they had suggestions for a great restaurant. They highly recommended Tyler’s Barbecue. They said you will never dine on finer food.

Ethan--This is GREAT so far... keep up the great work!

The locals were one-hundred percent right! I knew I would love the ribs that I ordered. The owner was very outgoing and we made excellent conversation. After the meal came I could smell a whiff of the sweet barbecue; I almost started drooling. I enjoyed every bite; they fell right off the bone. I said my thank-yous and goodbyes and hit the road to get to my hotel.

As I was driving I noticed large cacti out in the distance. I have never seen them this large; the air was also very hot and dry. After a peaceful transition, I approached Fort Worth. I felt courageous when it came to dinner ideas. I found a local sushi restaurant called the Blue Sushi Grill. It had an intriguing atmosphere. It was a mix of an American nightclub and a Japanese grill. I observed how movement of ideas concocted new ideas. I found an interesting entree called the “Tidal Wave”. It was like orthodox sushi, but it was also made with crab meat. It had a funky and different odor, but the hint of sweet crab meat added in was amazing! I heard lots of laughter and yelling around me; the nightclub atmosphere blended with my meal just as the crab and fish blended to make great sushi. I headed out after to find my hotel.

I had a lot to think about as I was counting sheep that night. I found that keeping a cycle was very easy and productive, but I loved shaking things up. I made sure to eat only local restaurants; no more greasy McDonalds for me! I wanted to take a thorough tour at Texas A&M. I made a mental note to see the engineering class because I was considering the college if I wanted to major in mechanics. “I called in the hounds and peed on the fire, as the hunt was over” (One of my Grandpa’s famous lines) after I prepared for the next day.

Day 5:

Because of my excitement, I almost shouted “Yee- haw!” as I hurried down to breakfast. I couldn’t wait to embark on the day’s journey. My hotel lived up to its hefty price. It had an amazing breakfast buffet; everything smelled and tasted fantastic! I would, therefore, leave a hefty tip. (I, IM, C) You could even see the hard-working chefs in a very clean open kitchen. The buttery pancakes were melting in my mouth whilst I made a game plan for exploring one of the finest colleges for miles. Since I didn’t truly understand how to find the college once I got to College Station, I typed the absolute location of “30° 36,45 N 96° 90,28 W” into my GPS. (DC, IC)

I had much anticipation as I pulled up into the parking lot. I wandered inside, my main attraction was the mechanical sciences lab; I heard the college is famous for it. I also toured the Kyle Field athletic stadium. This was definitely a college to consider for students pursuing a career in agriculture or mechanics, according to students I conversed with. They had a large, refined engineering building. It was an amazing college; however, I had already seen what I wanted to see and it was time to find some grub.

Later, as I was “swaggin the drag”, I saw a Italian restaurant that looked nice. I ordered fancy angel hair pasta; it had a perfect parmesan taste that blended well with the chicken accompanying it. It was very good, but it felt awfully pricey for how simple the food was. But who cares anyway? Remember, I’m on a vacation!

I spent a lot of money at my last hotel, so I decided that I should only stop at Hampton Inn’s. They were good for their cheap price and were very common to find. I had toured my second college already, and tomorrow I would gallop out of Texas towards the Mississippi River and Georgia State University.

I woke up ready to depart for my third college. It was located three states to the west of my hotel in the middle of Texas. I smelled another delicious Southern meal down in the lobby; I savored it since the style of food would change soon. I would be eating cajun and seafood for a few days. I thought of the interesting style and how the French brought their food ideas over into America.

I was entering the Southeast region of the United States. It was still baking out, but it was still quite humid. As I was approached the Mississippi Delta, I saw much more life. I was now in bayou country. I saw the vast Mississippi rushing from under me as I drove across a bridge into Baton Rouge.

I parked my car by the riverside and stepped out to admire its beauty. The atmosphere had a musky scent. I saw many people fishing in boats and on the river bank. I observed a group of men putting nets across the river, I had a hunch that they were trying to keep something out of the river, maybe bull sharks or carp. A burly man whipped up his fishing pole, and I thought it was going to break from extreme tension. He shouted to his partner, “Got me a big ol’ floppy fish! Gonna cook me up some good floppy fish fillet! Woohoo!” I died of laughter. The people who migrated to this area a long distance of time ago brought good, clean humor with them. Everyone down here was so animated and full of heart. Speaking of full, it was time to find a place to eat. Perhaps the men would give me a piece of their “Big ol’ floppy fish fillet”?

I realized that I would only make one food stop while I was in “Cajun Country”. I felt in the mood for a spicy southern meal that would deliciously scorch my mouth. I stopped at a pasta restaurant and ordered cajun chicken alfredo. It was just as amazing as the last alfredo; this time it had a spicy kick that lit my mouth on fire! The meal was excellent and once again I was on my way to Georgia State University. My journeys on the road were becoming quite dull, I decided to listen to the radio for once. As the uplifting melody of the Beatles, “In my Life” flowed perfectly through my speakers, I had deep thoughts about how much had happened in my life so far. I had done so much, yet I still have so much more to do. I realized how far I was traveling; they felt so far away when I was a young “whippersnapper”. I understood that these places, in time, aren’t very far at all. I was almost in Montgomery, Atlanta, as expected, in no time. I saw trucks in front of me burdened by large pieces of wind turbines. I pondered about the ups and downs of this method of green energy. They were very clean and efficient, but they were also a large danger for birds such as vultures and hawks that drifted on wind currents.

I soon was in the middle of the Appalachian foothills. The nearby mountains had a gorgeous horizon that sat under a topaz sky. I soon pulled into a gas station to “fill ‘er up” once I arrived into Montgomery. This wasn’t an ordinary gas stop, I also wanted to check my tire pressure to save gas money. As I was calmed by the melody of gas rushing from the pump, I observed the fuels this station has to offer. I picked the right poison. Ethanol seemed like a great choice, but honestly, it has too many negative consequences that many don’t seem to consider. First, ethanol has mediocre gas mileage; it looks cheaper but you need to buy a lot of it. Second, it is a major waste of corn. Most Americans rely on corn, even if it isn’t just grinding it off the cob. It makes food prices go sky high also. I must have been hungry; I was going on too long about corn. I found a another southern restaurant, this one with Spanish flair. It was another delicious local restaurant. I ordered a plate of tacos, but I specifically asked for corn tortillas. I needed to use corn for its true purpose, consumption. It was delicious nonetheless. I loved the feeling of the tacos; a perfect texture and taste you can’t relish at chain restaurants.

In terms of texture, I needed to get to a soft, fluffy bed to hit the hay. My GPS said that I had to continue 4 blocks east and take a left from my current location to get to my hotel. I checked in and flopped on my bed like a wet rag. I thought about how my journey was more enjoyable than my destination. I had much time to think deeply about different matters. I missed family as it came to me how far I had come. Within moments of the thought I was out.

I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed knowing that Georgia State University was only a hop, skip, and jump away. In a day or two I would be leaving the beautiful, warm, southern region of the USA. The mustang’s engine growled, also eager for another day of traveling. I was now on my way to my third amazing college, Georgia State University. It wouldn’t be too long of a drive into Atlanta. I heard that Georgia State is famous for business majors; it is a very popular class there.

Near the university, I witnessed a mission group walking along the road going house to house, moving the idea of Christianity to others. I soon arrived in Georgia and got very close to my college. I called the visitor center and signed up for a free tour of the campus. I first wanted to visit the business center, it was the main focus of this college. I visited with nearby visitors and they all highly recommended it. This college had tight security; I saw law enforcers everywhere. The college ran a tight ship to keep the school safe.

I noticed that the college had a miniscule athletic gym compared to other colleges I’ve seen. I was also told that they had an excellent law major offered. I stopped by the building when I was almost done touring. This tour was shorter than others. I was surprisingly tired today. Maybe a delicious meal would brighten it up. I was now head to Charlotte, North Carolina. It was around time for dinner and I desperately needed extra rest.

I arrived and wanted a hearty feast to relax me. I still needed directions to get to the Barbecue restaurant I desired. I spotted a local down the road. “Excuse me sir, do you know the directions to the barbecue restaurant?”

He replied, “Yes, take a left at the next junction and go 3 blocks down”

“Thank you. Have a good night” The dinner bell was ringing in my stomach. I was about to have a cow; I was craving beef. The most appetizing entree for beef was the brisket. After quite a wait, I saw the waiter bringing over the tray. Seeing food coming after a long wait is one of the best feelings (next to eating it) in the world by far. The time for a taste test arrived as I eagerly dug in. Another spot-on barbecue meal unique to its region. The meal had a tangy barbecue sauce that was absolutely delicious with the pink, smoked beef. It was amazing, but a sweet dessert would be the icing on the cake. I ordered a fresh apple pie to finish off the night, I caught a hint of the delicious fruit caramelizing on its way out. I loved every bite and left very satisfied. I was so full I thought my pants had grown 5 sizes. After a short drive I lumbered into the lobby of my hotel.

I was lying in bed pondering how long it would take to get to my next college, Yale. I calculated about a full day at the most. It hit me hard that I didn’t bring a jacket along with me. What a foolish decision. It could get cold in the North, which felt exaggerated after being in the South so long. I would survive though, and it would teach me a thing or two about packing. I stashed the thoughts away as I tapped out for the day.

I considered performing cartwheels out of the hotel but decided against having to wear a full body cast the rest of the trip. I was still pretty stuffed from last night’s feast so I went pretty light on the grub. That meant holding the butter on my pancakes. I had to eat fast like a soldier because I had to reach New York. I hastily departed for the Northeastern region. I would have to make a stop in Virginia for gas and food. It was amazing how far apart the world seemed when I was young. As I aged it seemed so small, this trip was just whizzing by.

I eventually crossed over into Virginia and suddenly had a strong urge to eat again. I wasn’t feeling up to meat anymore; I wanted Italian cuisine. I enjoyed a delicious, cheesy alfredo with chunks of lobster. I left dead set on reaching New York. I didn’t even bother remembering where I parked my car. I looked one block to the right and remembered it was on the the left. How foolish of me; I was very disoriented lately. I had no time to mess around. I quickly had to pull out. The rest of the day would just be traveling.

I looked to my right and watched the Appalachian Foothills passing by. The mountains used to tower over the land, but over a large distance of time they eroded away.
I also saw more pine forest as I traveled farther north. I was almost in New York and my day was almost over. I saw some loggers cutting down pine trees for timber. People interacting with the environment for resources was very common up north. I soon reached New York and had to find my hotel. My GPS told me that it was 5 blocks south of the road I was on. I arrived and sat on my bed to contemplate how far I had come so far. I had scaled Pike’s Peak and toured the Air Force Academy. I had stood on the rim of the Grand Canyon and visited Texas A&M. I had witnessed the Mississippi River and had taken in Georgia State University.
I still had to go to two more colleges and parks. I didn’t see any of my target stops; nevertheless, I still had a blast. (IC; IM, IC) I was exhausted and fell into dreamland.