Me, Admire | Teen Ink

Me, Admire

June 24, 2012
By BatteryAfter, Kingwood, West Virginia
More by this author
BatteryAfter, Kingwood, West Virginia
0 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm like a cat, I always land on all fours." -Jensen Ackles
"Food is the most important meal of the day." -Michael Kark


I was at school trying to learn through all the kids who were talking or sleeping. The bell rang saying it was time to go to homeroom (which for some reason wasn't before 1st period) was unusually louder than normal. It made me gather my books and binder and go to the room that was very far from this class....which sucked. While walking to my locker to get my homework and put some books away, I ran into the kid that everyone was afraid of, Derek fraizee. He had short, black hair, pail skin, muscular body, and very nerdy at heart. I remember once he came to a Halloween party dressed as Yoda. Everyone teases him for no reason and it annoys even me, I can always sense a hurt soul and his was obviously shattered. "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention" I said with my voice cracking a bit from his mysterious look he was giving me.

"It is fine you do not have to worry, all fear will be taken away from you soon" He said slowly backing away with no emotion on his face. What was that about, what did that mean? I kept thinking to myself as I rushed quickly to my locker, already at least two minutes late. I flew my locker open and two pictures fell out along with a small box. I took the pictures from the cold school floor and stared at them. They were pictures of me sleeping on two different nights. I shivered from fear all over my body and leaned down slowly for the box. When I opened it there was a necklace that had a fitted rose quartz in it.

"Woow! Who got you that?" My BFF Amber said looking amazed by the stone.

"I'm not sure it just feel out of my locker" I said, put the pictures and box in my locker and got out my books.

"Well that sound like someone has an admirer!"

"I do not. Plus if I did I could easily track them down with my senses" I can also sense secrets and lies. It sounds kind of awesome at first until you realize it gives you killer headaches.

I looked at my phone and panicked at how late I was. Amber waved goodbye for now and ran down the hall to the bathroom. She isn't always a freak with how she looked but every once and a while she needs to know if she is still 'herself' and not an ugly creature. She always looked pretty with her long, black hair that always caught the moon light when we went hiking at night in the woods. Her cheekbones were proudly high and her smile was so bright that it could light up the sky. She didn't like that saying and no one really knows why, even her.

As I ran into the room, a bit tired from running, everyone was looking at my like I had mutated.

"Miss Smith you're late again!" My totally mean homeroom teacher snarled.

"Sorry Mr. Ives,It-" I broke off realizing he wasn't paying a bit of attention to me.

I walked over to my seat that was all the way in the back corner so I wouldn't have to hear anyone as clearly. Everyone was working hard when all of a sudden the fire alarm went off. Everyone looked at me, I can sense danger, and I nodded the get out signal to them and everyone ran out quickly. Having it being the middle of December everyone was shivering as they watched the school slowly start to fill with smoke.

"Crap!" I yelled running back to the school that was now catching flame.

"Lexie! Where are you going it not safe to go in there!" Amber yelled as she ran following me into the school. She caught up to me and stopped me. When she looked at me she looked very worried.

"I forgot the pictures and the box!"

"Who cares about the box your safety is more important. Come on hurry it might fall on our heads"

"There is something up and I need to figure it out. The school wouldn't randomly catch on fire would it?" I had a point because the lunch ladies quit, making everyone pack a lunch. I don't blame them, who would want to be a lunch lady anyways?

We ran too my locker (which was unfortunately the last locker in the hall way). I forced it open and took my backpack, coat, and the items that I came in here for, and we ran out. Still down the hallway running I came to a stop, but Amber was so scared she kept running. I didn't mind, I kind of expected that.

"Hello?" I yelled. "Is someone there?" getting a bit nervous I backed away feeling that it wouldn't end well. I was too young to die. Then a thought came through my head that started to say something that made me shiver. There is someone stuck here. I ran down the hallway to see if there was anyone there. No one, the place was empty.

I turned around and ran outside and fell to the ground from all the smoke in my lungs. Everything went black but I could here muffled voices that were not familiar.

"Will she be alright?" OK I knew that was Mr. Ives.

"She will be fine sir, she just needs some fresh air." A man with a deep voice said that made me want to open my eyes.

I forced my eyes open and heard many people sighing of relief. When I tried to stand I wobbled and the man caught me. He took me to a near truck with many flashing lights that hurt my eyes. The man moved my hair out of my eyes and I heard gasps coming from all around. "What's wrong? Was I burned badly or something?"

"Well uhh why don't you just see for yourself?" The man said handing me a mini compact mirror (why was he carrying that?) and I held it to my eyes.They glowed a dark red color instead of a normal bright green eyes.

I dropped the mirror and thought positives but it was too hard and could only think about negatives. What was going on, and I knew there was danger but didn't know it was pointed towards me! They finished and the fire was out . All the students grabbed there keys that were always in their pockets and left for home. I put sunglasses on and walked over to Amber and told her to get in the car because it was freezing. I hopped into my little black car and drove to my house. At first the car ride was filled with dead silence until Amber broke it.

"What is wrong with you? Why did you go in there to save something that small? Are you stupid?" She questioned me

"Listen I have a had feeling about this and I need the proof to help solve this mystery." I stopped into a diners parking lot. "Hungry?" I took my sunglasses off and stared in her eyes and she gave a slight gasp and turned a bit white. She was scared and sick at the same time.

"Alexia Dawn Smith what happened while you were inside the school alone?" I heard her pain and concern.

"I don't know, when I stopped it was because there was a noise and it scared me. Nothing happened, no one was there."

"But your eyes are-" I stopped her.

"Amber, Something is up but I think it wants me to not be me." She noticed I was uncomfortable and stopped talking to get out of the car and walk into the diner.

We stepped in and every one's eyes were on us...or at least me. As we walked past them they whispered to each other maybe calling me a freak! As if she read their minds Amber yelled at them to shut up and they all got quiet and returned eating. Thankfully my sister, Corey, was working and she took our table to wait.

"Hey, Lexie, how are ya, I heard about your school." She looked at me with a blank face. She yanked me up and pulled me into the kitchen leaving Amber at the table watching the diner closely. I think this has something to do with my eyes.

"Dawn what happened to your eyes they are blood red not bright green!" she said. "Wait, oh god don't tell me they have turned you into one of those horrid creatures!"

"Horrid creatures? what are you talking about?"

"The admirers, they aren't as nice and sweet as you would think. They are, like, vampires mixed in with crossroads demons. If you are one you need to find out where they all live to join them. Sorry sis." She sounded serious and concerned.

"OH GOD! I hope not." I yelled so loudly the cooks looked at me and quickly turned around. "I'm hungry now so get me some pancakes and get Amber a few hash browns." I purposely changed the subject. Corey rolled her eyes at me and made the order.

I ran back to the table and pretended like nothing happened. But Amber knew it wasn't good, she stared at me while I sipped on my diet coke. The food came after a few minutes, distracting us from the awkward silence. When we finished eating we went to my house.

We weren't a rich family but we lived in a big house that had four bedrooms but only two were ever used. Because I like the silence, I took the room in the finished basement that had beautiful wood floors and was filled with the smell of lavender and honey. The house was always filled with some kind of smell, a new one everyday. We walked into the house and went down to my room. It was Friday and Amber was staying the weekend. She looked at me as if she could read my fear and a slight glimpse of panic shot through me.

"You're hiding something from me, Alexia." She kept her eyes on me.

"Amber, I think I'm turning into an admirer. But I am not sure, Corey said I looked like it and she is the person obsessed with creatures of the unknown stuff!"

"That's what I was afraid you'd say" She said quietly to herself but not quiet enough. She shocked me with her next words. "I hope I'm not chosen to kill you."

"What's that supposed to mean I thought you hunted werewolves?"

"I have just been assigned to admirers today, while you were in the kitchen with your sister." Chills ran down my spine as I now found out my friend has been assigned to kill the creatures that I am turning into.

"Don't worry about it, I'll be safe, always." We turned the TV on so the silence was broken.

I walked up to pop some popcorn when my mother was sitting on the stool crying. I ran up to her and asked her what was wrong but she did not answer me. Like she couldn't see me or something. There was a letter on the table that read the most shocking things ever that made me feel sick:

MRS. OR MR. SMITH WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT NORTHERN RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL BURNT DOWN TODAY AND THERE WAS ONE PERSON STILL IN THAT BUILDING. WE HAVE BEEN NOTED THAT THAT STUDENT WAS ALEXIA D. SMITH.SHE WAS REPORTED MISSING WHEN THE STAFF TOOK ROLE OF THEIR STUDENTS. HER BODY WAS FOUND AFTER THE FIRE WAS PUT OUT. YOU CAN GO DOWN TO THE MOURGE AND CHECK OUT THE BODY BEFORE IT IS READY FOR THE FUNERAL. WE ARE VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. - Northern Ridge Police Department.

My heart raced and I ran down to tell Amber what just happened. I got to my room and opened the door and found that she wasn't in the room and neither were her things. I rushed out the door and ran as fast as I could to the diner, and ran to Corey, who was crying. She was holding the same letter that our mother had.

I ran out back into a dark ally and cried feeling alone and scared. Suddenly, there was a loud crash, I got up and walked forward towards the sound. ACK! What the heck, I fell, over what? I struggled to get up, feeling like this was similar but at a different place.

I glanced at the nearest sign. I was still in my normal California, where no one cared. My home, it's like they know all the things I need to survive and a small California town was one of the things in my survival bag. I got up and noticed that a farm on a hill wasn't familiar at first. Why? I knew it was our farm, the sign is right there! Were my memories fading? I didn't understand the admirers world at all, I needed answers!

I looked around and there was dead silence, until there was a loud scream coming from the barn. I ran as quick as I could to see the danger that was no longer able to be sensed. The barn doors flung open and out ran a little girl who I'd never seen before. Slowly I walked in and there lied my sister covered in blood and sweat. She told me to come over to her and she gave me a note. I took it from her hands and right when she was about to fade I asked her something that confused me.

"How can you see me, Corey?" I asked through my tears.

"I don't know I just can I guess" She said as her eyes started to close her eyes and then all of a sudden she gasped and her memory was gone. She glanced up at me giving me the what-just-happened look. Her eyes were red as if she had just woken up. I gave a blank expression and gave her a rag to clean the blood off.

"What happened to you, why are you covered in blood?" I asked while having a mini panic attack. She did not respond which was kind of expected from a girl who just almost died and had her memories erased. She looked at me like she knew me and then she asked if I was a ghost because I was killed in the school fire.

But I wasn't, I talked to so many people after I got out of the school I remember it so clearly. I got so scared I ran down to some tunnels of the organization for the admirers that popped up out of no where and felt less stressful when I walked in.

"Hello is there a visitor here or am I just going crazy?" A woman at a table said smiling at a new member.

"Uhh, I was just turned into an admirer and I guess I need to like register or something."

"Oh yes you are our newest admirer,can you keep a lover?" She laughed at the joke that took me a few minutes to figure out. I smiled at her motherly nature and she led me down the hallways to show me around. "Did you like the little play we put on for you? The fire, the people you talked to, oh, and sorry about your sister we got carried away on that. At least she isn't dead.

"You did that? I can't believe it! So, uhh am I immortal like vampires or mortal like wolves or do I watch too many movies?"

"Ha, I have never been asked that, well the truth is no one knows really" She laughed.

We walked down the hallway until we got to a room with my name and two others names on it. This is your new home Alexia, good luck, and be cautionary. I kept talking to myself to calm my nerves. I entered the room to two girls, twins, sitting the bed laughing and watching videos on YouTube. They stopped and looked up. They smiled and got out of bed very fast. They seemed like they would scream out of excitement but I just gave them the please-don't-scream look. They calmed down and introduced themselves.

"Hello my name is Abbie Lightshell and this is Lily Lightshell." Abbie said.

"We're twins" They both said at the same time.

"Nice to meet you both, I am Alexia Smith." I said keeping my voice level low.

I looked around the room and it looked very modern with a slight Victorian look. It made it seem like everything is right, renewed, and perfect. Welcome to your brand new lovely life I told myself in my head. Everything of mine was put where it belong and the twins looked at me and asked if I had the necklace. I told them yes and they told me to put it on my neck. They gave me a warning that this might seem nice to me now it will turn into my living hell and to stay safe for now.

A bit dazed and confused I looked at the twins and asked them to repeat themselves. They agreed.

"Well, you see, this may seem nice and at home at first but it can turn into a nightmare very quickly." Abby said.

"Oh, I see. Well, I better try and get settled in, don't you think?" I did not want to think about changing lives and then finding out my new life is going to be hell.

"Yes, of course, as you can see all of your things from your bedroom are here now. As if you never left home. Well, this is your new home now, Alexia, so you can forget about that sad, old, California home and life."

Abby walked across the room and got out a bottle of water from a mini fridge and walked back to give it to me. I told her thanks and gulped it down as if I hadn't taken a drink of water in 20 years. The girls sat back down on the bed and finished their video. When it was over I started to make conversation with the twins, hoping to make friends with them.

"You know this kinda reminds me of a book I read. The House of Night Novel there were twins and a newcomer. Although it was vampires and my name isn't Zoey." I said

"Oh yeah I am reading that now. It is so good!" Lily said

"Cool, I am still on the seventh book."

" I am still on the fifth, so shh, do not ruin it for me!"

"Alright I promise not to."

"Good."

I sat down on a bed that had my old sheets on them. They smelled like home. I put my hands in my face and began to sob. I tried to make it quiet but the twins still noticed it. They ran up to me and when I looked up and into their worried eyes I tried to talk but nothing came out. I was to upset, scared, and shocked.

"I just want to go back home to my mom and sister!" I weakly yelled. "I don't belong here!"

"I know its hard," Abby said.

"But soon you will get used to this life." Lily said finishing Abby's sentence.

Still crying I got up and walked into a bathroom. Once I got in there I looked in the mirror. I jumped and gasped at what I saw. My eyes were a glowing red color and my skin was as white as it gets. All of my teeth were pointy and sharp like razors. My hair was still the same though, short and brown. But I still couldn't handle it so I broke the towel rod off the wall and smashed the mirror with it. The glass shattered everywhere and cut me a few times.

The twins heard it and they busted into the bathroom to see me covered in glass and blood. Abby ran and grabbed me. Lily screamed as she ran out the door to get somebody. I stood there in silence unable to talk or move. I stood there in broken glass and my blood. Everything went black and I fell to the floor. I could hear Abby run out of the room screaming for her sister. But then there was nothing, silence and blackness that seemed to last forever.

"Oh my goodness!" A strange, male voice yelled from across the room. "Someone help her, now. Guys come here, now and help this girl to the infirmary."

Two men came and picked me up and put me on a stretcher. They followed the mans orders and took me into a room that felt warm and inviting, except that it smelled like a hospital. They laid me on a cold metal bed and stripped me down and slowly cleaned me off. It stung every time they removed a piece of glass from my body. I wished that I wasn't awake for that horrible moment. After I was cleaned off I was put in a gown, picked up, and put on a soft warm bed. Although I was still in pain I was so tired and I fell into a deep sleep.

When I woke up the twins were looking at me and sighing of relief that I was okay. Lily stood up and got me a glass of water. I sat up and quickly drank it all.

"You seriously worried us, Alexia." Abby said looking like she was about to cry.

"Abby, it's alright, don't worry." I said as I got out of the bed and searched for my clothes. Once I found them I got dressed and walked over to the twins.

"What happened there, in the bathroom?"

"I guess I had a mini breakdown."

"Mini? I'd hate to see a full sized breakdown then!"

I walked over to the door to leave when Lily and Abby pulled me back. I looked at them with a confused look.

"You can't leave until Venilus tells you to." Lily said

"Who the heck is Venilus?" I asked.

"He is kinda our leader and what ever he says we do." Lily looked at Abby who was holding a book. She gave me the book and it was a rule book. I flipped through some pages of it and decided to look at it later. Just then a man walked in and came to my bed. he was tall, muscular, and scary looking. He must have been Venilus. He looked into my eyes with his eyes way more darker red than mine and shook his head and told me to leave. I stood up and slightly bowed at him and ran out like I had just seen a ghost.

The twins ran after me and caught me just before the door to our room. I was breathing hard and felt weak again and I dropped to the ground barely keeping myself up. The twins helped me up and into the room, they sat me on my bed and I fell backwards and my head hit the pillow. This was way to much to handle, apparently dieing, changing into an admirer, my new life; still just all to much. I laid there thinking about that until the twins snapped me out of it.

"Alexia, please answer me! What's wrong?" Abby yelled and asked.

Dazed I looked up and answered her. "I can't take it here, this change ruined my life! My friend might have to kill me and my family thinks I'm dead! Everything is happening too fast!" I busted into tears.

"Wait, your friend wants to kill you?"

"Yes, she is a night hunter, she hunts certain creatures. She was assigned werewolves but she just got reassigned to admirers. God, I'm so scared!"

"Oh. It's okay just breath and drink this, it will help with the change it will make the rest of it less painful. Trust me."

I took the glass filled with purple liquid and drank it. It tasted like milk and honey but suddenly I felt different, my body went numb and I became sleepy and fell asleep making the glass roll off me and on to the carpet. Hours later I woke up and I was on my bed and the twins were a sleep. I looked at a nearby clock to see it was 3:46 AM. Well, I'm still tired so I'm going back to sleep. I slept for the rest of the night. In the morning I didn't feel like getting up so I laid there on my bed with my eyes closed. The twins were not awake yet, maybe in an hour or so they would wake up. Laying there I tried to think positive and not about what possible hell might come.

The twins finally woke up and looked up at me. They whispered to themselves about how I look when I'm asleep.

"Guys, I'm awake, I can hear you." I mumbled through my tiredness.

"Oh god! You scared us! Uh, good morning." Lily said after they both jumped.

"Define good morning. You guys sound like my mother when you say I look like an angel in my sleep, it's also kinda creepy."

"Oh, uh, sorry we'll stop then. So, did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, hey, does anyone remember last night? It's a total blur in my mind right now."

"Nothing happened, really. You had a breakdown and now it's all better."

"Was I drugged? I feel numb and dizzy and I know there was a party last night."

"We gave you sleep power juice, it helps you sleep and calm down and blurs out bad memories of that night or day. But you had a pretty rough night there, Alexia, we thought it would help."

"Seems like it worked just fine." I got up out of bed and was expecting to feel powerfully hungry but I wasn't and that was very stranger for me. "Huh, that's weird, I'm not hungry and I always am."

"Yeah, um, that's a very odd thing about admirers, we don't eat. All we do is drink."

"Oh, I can't tell if that's good or not. We'll have to see later."

I went over to a bookshelf and picked up the rulebook. I went over and sat on a big velvet chair and began reading the rulebook. It was amazingly filled with facts and rules that kept me reading for hours. I found an interesting section talking about a very strange subject. Torture.





Torture:

In the act of breaking any of the rules in this book you will be forced into one of the chambers. If you happen to do something more severe than breaking a simple rule, such as murder or attempt of murder on school grounds you will be put on trial and possibly killed.

Please do not be alarmed of this unless you happen to be a trouble maker because this rarely happens here. We are a very safe school and we make sure this never happens because our guard dogs will get to you before an admin. can.



Okay that slightly freaked me out. mostly the killing people part. What was that about? I decided to go ask Lily.

"Lily, uh, do admirers have to kill people?" I asked.

"Yeah...We have to drink blood, like vampires. But we also take their souls so we can live." Lily said awkwardly.

My heart started pounding, the thought of killing someone for blood and their soul sounded awful. I'm going to turn into a monster!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.