Torn apart, yet still sewm together | Teen Ink

Torn apart, yet still sewm together

By Taylor Fote, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Taylor Fote, Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Author's note: this story is based on my friend. she has been bullied very bad, but everyone has supported her. she is truly my rolemodel, and i wouldn't know what to do with out her.

By: Taylor F. I quietly opened the door, trying hard not to make a sound. My heart was pounded so vigorously out of my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack. I got inside the house, and quick bolted for the stairs. I was two steps away from the top, when suddenly, I heard someone calling my name. “Camryn, is that you?” I heard. I couldn’t quite pick out a face to match the voice. “Are you home, Camryn?” I heard the eerie voice again. It hit me. My dad was home. This was bizarre. He never was home this early. It was seven at night. Why was dad home? I looked deep into his crystal blue eyes. Tears were welling up like rough waves on the clear blue ocean, I had once seen on a family trip. Worry and sorrow furrowed deep into his soul. “Hey,” I said, trying not to sound like I was desperate to know what was going on. “You look sad, is something wrong?” “Does something look wrong to you? I mean my god, a man works all day in the fields, and he comes home and is pestered by a stupid little girl. Can’t I just enjoy my damn beer already?” I ran up the stairs, tears falling out of my eyes like rain splashing on my face. I couldn’t control myself anymore. I had lost it. Ever since mom and dad got a divorce, my life has been unimaginable. My dad worked all the time, and never paid attention to me. My mom, I hadn’t seen her in six years. After the divorce, we never kept in touch. Since then, the one person I thought still loved me found a new love, alcohol. I was replaced. My dad replaced me with stupid beer, I just didn’t understand. My life at school was even worse then at home. Every morning I absolutely dreaded going to school. It was so hard to peel away the warm covers everyday, when you know that, no matter what, someone was going to pick on me. The pain was unbearable. All day I just felt like sitting in a ball and crying, until I run out of tears. If only I still had my mom to tell everything to. If I still had her, I would know someone still loved me. If only the…… My phone suddenly vibrated in my pocket. I instantly pulled it out, and peered at the brightly lit screen. It said, “Restricted,” “Hello?” I said, question in my voice. “Hello,” said a voice that sounded familiar. I hung up. I knew who was on the other side of the call, Bryanna. She ditched me for a lame party with her friends. I thought I was her friend, I just can’t believe this. Looks like I can trust no one these days. Depressed, I sulk to my room, and cry. No even cared I was hurting, not even my own father. It seemed like everyone has betrayed me. The next day at school was like a living hell. During lunch, I sat alone. I could hear kids at the other tables talk about me. “Look at that freak, she’s all alone. What a loner. Just look at her, she’s just not one of us.” I felt my face turning bright red. Flames were in my eyes, ready to explode. I was about to cry. Everyone had abandoned me. I had no body. I just didn’t understand, all my life I have been teased by people. I just…… “I think we should go sit by Camryn, she looks lonely,” I heard Natasha say. “No way! She’s way to lame for us. She’s so ugly! She has no life! She’s worthless!” Bryanna said. What a friend. The seventh hour bell finally rang. I was so relieved. I wouldn’t have to suffer from anymore bullying for two days. I couldn’t wait to get home. My dad finally left for his trip to Las Vegas. This was going to be the best week ever! I came home to a quiet house. It was too quiet, to be honest. I heard every little noise. I made myself a delicious peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich for dinner. I plopped down on my old musty smelling, floral couch, and flipped on the TV. I saw this man on the news. It’s a breaking story. He was found dead in his hotel room at the Bellagio in Vegas. My heart dropped. The phone rang. It was my aunt. From that moment on, I knew my life would never be the same again. “Investigators found the man dead in his room while he was enjoying his stay here at Vegas,” the Action Two news reporter said, “Police say he had been drinking to the point of a point two five BAC. He had also been gambling and dishing out a very high amount of money, casino owners say. The hotel owner heard a gunshot from above. This man…” I turned the TV off. It was too painful to watch. It felt like a knife was repeatly being stabbed right through my chest. I couldn’t breath. I tried to scream, but nothing came out. I tried to cry but not a single tear flooded out. I trudged up the old, chipping white staircase, slowly. I approached my room. I still had homework, but who cares? School is stupid. I laid down in my bed, and flipped on the TV. I couldn’t pull my eyes away from the news about my dad. I refused to believe it. This was a just a dream, I told myself. I tried to shake the thought from my mind, but it just wouldn’t disappear. I turned the TV off. I crawled under my cozy flannel blanket and curled up into a ball. I couldn’t fall asleep. It was impossible. I spent the rest of what was left of the night, crying myself to sleep. The bell ran. I quick dashed for my locker, not caring how stupid I looked. My hair was a like a bees nest, and tears were strolling down the side of my face as if gravity would never stop ripping them out of my eyes. I huddled my textbooks as I approached my locker. I slowly opened it up, and set my textbooks inside and grabbed my lunch. I paused for a second. What did I just see? I quickly opened the lock, trembling as I spun the dial, not being able to get a good grasp on it. I opened. My heart was racing as if it was being controlled by a cheetah in search of prey. My palms were drenched with sweat, making everything slip away from me. It was a note. There it was, right in the middle of the locker. My glossy, ocean blue eyes were fixed upon its crisp white package. So many thoughts were running through my mind. It was almost impossible to bear. I slowly, like a turtle, reached for the note when suddenly…. The bell rang. Seventh hour was about to begin, whether I was there or not. I quickly sprinted, for what seemed like forever, until I reached my seventh hour class, math. That class seems like forever, it was so boring. I couldn’t focus. I was too busy thinking about the not I had received in my locker. Maybe they accidentally put the note in my locker on accident, I told myself. No matter what I said, it was hard to believe. The bell interrupted my thoughts. I was relieved school was out. I pushed my way though the congested hallways, until I finally reached my locker. I collected my books and the note, and was out the door before anyone noticed.

“You are the ugliest person ever. Your dad probably killed himself on purpose, because he knew you were his kid and he had to come home to you. You wonder why you have no friends.” Who wrote this terrible letter? I kept asking myself over and over. Why? Why me, what did I ever do?
It was dinner time. I wasn’t hungry. I felt like I was going to throw up. I was so disgusted. Ever since my family disappeared, I hadn’t been myself. I was always by myself; all my friends had rejected me. Life with my dad was terrible and I always wished he would die; I totally regret wishing for that to happen. I’m lonely. I have no body. I wished I could go back in time and start all over again.
I was sick of my life. What was the point of me being alive? I mean, everyone hated me and I was so alone, I was going insane.
Slowly, like a turtle, I trudged up the old, white, wooded staircase. I quickly open up the rusty doorknob, and plop down on my Lizzie McGuire bed, beginning my stupid homework. English, math, science… what’s the point of homework? It’s so boring!!!!!!
I went downstairs, and fixed myself up a piece of moist chocolate cake with creamy chocolate frosting that my aunt had brought over for me. I slowly eat my slice of heaven, hoping it will never disappear. I take small bites, like the size of walnuts. Every bite melted in my mouth, like butter. The creamy, tender, moist, delicate cake was so delicious. It was the best thing that I have had in the longest time. As I eagerly reach in for another bite, my silver fork scrapes against my teeth. It’s gone. Just like everything else in my life.
I return to my homework. I saw there was a missed message. I looked at my phone, but just as I was about to read the message, my phone vibrated in my hand. It said “Restricted Caller.”
I hesitantly answered, “Hello?”
“Hello.” The other person on the line said. “I’m calling you today to remind you how ugly and unpopular you are. I hope you enjoy dying alone. Good bye.”
The phone went silent. I was so scared, yet so angry. Who was the caller? My mind was racing. Why does everyone bully me? My blood was boiling, with rage. This was the last straw. I had had it with everyone. Soon, their dreams will come true.
*
*
*

I stumbled into the school as Bryanna and her group started to smirk at me. I quickly ducked away, knowing that I’d never have to deal with them again after this. I was so tired. So tired after crying all night about my father. About my mom. About the call. About every little flaw that occurred to me. Only me.

English was a nightmare with all of Bryanna’s friends staring at my every move, whispering every so often to each other. They hissed at me like vicious cobra snakes. I had enough.

The day seemed like it would never end.
The final bell rang. School was out for the weekend. I was so glad.
I slumped home from school. The cold, nipping wind whistled through my bright red ears, sounding like a screeching. The mist from outside made it almost impossible to see two feet in front of me. I could hear the wind whisper little secrets to me. Secrets that other people said and kept about me. I pushed the mysterious secrets away, knowing that they were all untrue. My life was untrue. This was all a dream, I kept reassuring myself. It was all a dream where I was tied up in a black hole, desperately searching for that one sliver of light that would give me a slight glimmer of hope.

My beat-up leather boots trudged up the muddy hill to my weary, blue house. I hugged my coat around me tighter, hoping to grasp onto the last thing of my mother’s things that was left behind for me. Tears stung my cold face, slowly trickling down my cheeks. I remember the times we had when she was still around.

“Do you ever stop crying?” I asked myself. Every day couldn’t go without the shed of one single tear. That started to make me cry even more. Suddenly, I tripped over a slimy rock, and I tumbled to the creek that meandered its way around our house. Once I stopped rolling, my arms and legs screamed out in pain. I groaned and attempted to roll over and get up, but I was too paralyzed with fear.

“Kill me now,” I muttered, spitting the mud out of my mouth. “Then, everyone would be happy.” A large splinter was embedded in my right thigh. I yanked at it, grimacing until I finally eased it out. “Just kill me.”

As I looked up at the sky, an excruciatingly bright light blinded me.

“Aaaah!” I shrieked. My grimy hands couldn’t block this petrifying light from my puffy red eyes.

It was then when I realized it was an angel, telling me I was alright. Telling me I was perfectly perfect. I couldn’t keep from smiling at this beautiful light.

For once I was happy, like nothing would ever go wrong.
*
*
*
That night, I fixed myself a glorious dinner of peanut butter sandwiches and hot chocolate. I even said a word of prayer before digging into the meal.
After pigging out, I decided to take a shower and wash the mud and dirt off my body. I only had a few bruises and a gash where the splinter was, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the shower.
It honestly felt very good to clean myself of all the bad things in life.

The angel’s word of advice. Somehow gave me a boost to go on and become a new Camryn.
I quickly dried off and ran to my Lizzie McGuire bed, snuggling under the covers. I reached for the small TV remote that was by my feet. Once I grabbed the remote, I flipped the TV on and realized that the news report of my dead father was on.
Great, I thought. I must have accidentally recorded it. As I gathered up enough courage to watch, I pressed the play button, expecting the worst. But actually, I started to smile at what I just heard.

*

*

*

“The man that we once thought to be dead in his Vegas room has suddenly awakened from a long coma. He says he doesn’t remember anything, except that he has a daughter named, Camryn, that he left at home. He says he wants to go home and reassure his daughter that he is okay. Here is a short snippet we captured after he awoke.” The TV transitioned to a video of my father in a hospital bed, looking healthy and calm.
“Camryn, if you are watching this, I want you to know that I’m okay. I love you.” And the clip transitioned back to the woman.
“Isn’t that incredible? Back to you, Nick.”
I turned the TV off. I was in total shock.
My dad said he loved me.

*
*

*

My smile was from ear to ear! I couldn’t believe he was alive. Never in my life have I felt so good. I sprung from my bed and started to jump around. I grabbed my phone and started to dial the Vegas hospital.
“Hello, this is Las Vegas hospital. How may I help you?” said a warm voice.
“Um hey,” I said. “Is my father there? His name is Christopher Ryan.” I trembled nervously.
“Oh my god. Are you that man’s daughter?” the nurse said, surprised.
“Yeah.” A tremendous silence followed.
“Hullo?” grunted a familiar voice.
“Dad?” I whispered.
“Camryn, is that you?” said a confused voice.
“Yes, Dad. It’s me.” Tears were falling out of my eyes. I just couldn’t believe this miracle.
“Honey, I am so sorry about everything. Are you alright?”He sounded deeply concerned.
“I’m fine. Aunt Amy has been checking up on me. Are you okay?”
“Better now that I’m talking to you.” You could just picture him smiling on the other end, by the way his voice was.
I giggled, “When are you coming home?” I was so glad that I would have part of my life back again.
“Tomorrow.” he said confidently.
“Promise?” I stressed eagerly.
“Promise, sweetheart.” he said in a warm voice.
“Okay.”
“I love you so much, Camryn,” he said tenderly.
“I love you too, Dad.” I hung up. He loves me so much. I couldn’t ask for anything better until my phone started to vibrate again. “Hello?”
“Hey, it’s Bryanna,” said Bryanna. “Can we start over?”
And I think you can guess how my life went from there.