The Ire In Viremia

Author's note: I had the idea at a sleepover with my friends.
Author's note: I had the idea at a sleepover with my friends.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 35 Next »

Visions at Night

‘I am freaking going to kill Regal!’
Valish looked at me, surprised by my sudden pronouncement.
‘What?’ she asked. ‘What did he do?’
‘Oh, he was just swapping saliva with Zanza. That’s all!’ I was so angry at him. ‘I can’t believe he would do that to her. Actually, sadly, I can, which may be even worse. That stupid freaking scum bag! I wish I could just slap that stupid smirk off his face!’
‘He did what?’
‘I know. He is unbelievable! She is just starting to heal a bit, and then he has to go and kiss her. They won’t last, he should know that.’
‘Who says they won’t?’
I gave her a look. ‘Val, you know that Zanza doesn’t like him any more than a friend.’
‘Maybe she changed her mind. People can fall for people they just saw as friends before.’
I just stared at her, shocked.
‘Fine,’ I said, shaking my head. ‘But if he does anything to hurt her, I will personally break his neck and gut him, then I will stuff him like a Christmas turkey.’
‘I’ll help with that.’
‘You can make the stuffing I suppose. It’s his guts blended with other ingredients.’
‘Yum, gut stuffing.’
‘Yeah, it sounds so delightful; we should eat him for our Christmas feast.’
Valish laughed and sighed.
That’s when we saw Regal walking by himself like a lost soul, contrary to last night. He had a glazed expression on his features, and I began to worry.
Valish and I strode up to him.
‘What’s wrong?’ I asked.
He gazed at me with sad eyes.
‘Zanza,’ he croaked.
Understanding dawned on my face as I received the clip of what happened before he could explain.
‘She said last night was a mistake and that she’s sorry for doing it,’ he continued without need.
I sighed, holding Regal in an embrace.
‘I’m sorry, but I warned you,’ I whispered.
He pulled away, not wanting to seem weak, and shrugged it off as though it was an old coat that became dirty and he didn’t like its presence anymore.
‘I’m fine,’ he said, steadying his voice.
I stared into his eyes. ‘We both know you’re not, so stop lying to me, I can always tell.’
‘I’m fine,’ he repeated with more force.
This time I nodded. I knew what he was doing, pretending he was okay until he was. A skill I sometimes used myself.
‘Well, when you feel like just being... not fine, I’ll be there.’
He thanked me in his mind, but on the outside he just started trudging to our little alcove.
Shrugging, Valish and I followed him.
‘I guess no Christmas feast,’ I said.
‘Yeah. Poor Regal.’
‘Freaking hell, why does he have to be like that? I told him. Zanza only kissed him because he was there for her and she has lost Bomont.’
We caught up with him, stopping the conversation as we entered out nook, both of us at his side.
‘So,’ I sang. ‘Watcha dooing?’
‘Nothing.’
‘How ya going?’
‘Fine.’
‘Had fun last night?’
‘Kurlz, just drop it!’
‘Drop what?’
‘You know what, stop talking about it. I’m fine and you are annoying so just shut up!’
I glared at him evenly. ‘Just ‘cause you can’t handle it. You don’t have to be such a jerk. And I didn’t mean the thing, I mean everything but that.’
He didn’t reply.
We arrived at the seats and he whispered, “leave it alone”, as if I was pushing the subject, then he sat next to Abcde.
Zanza was sitting a few centimetres away with her brother Quex and I decided to join them.
‘Hello Zanz, Quex,’ I greeted. ‘How was last night?’
She immediately thought of Regal.
‘Fine,’ she said tightly.
‘Pretty fun, good job,’ Quex complemented. ‘Should have more parties at your dorm.’
‘Yeah... Hey, Zanz, anything you wanna tell me?’
She got the hint that I knew and turned a shade of pink that was unnoticed by her brother.
I don’t like him. Well, not in that way. He is one of my best friends and I don’t want to ruin that. She messaged me through brain-waves.
I know. You shouldn’t have kissed him, he really liked you. I know that you didn’t mean to hurt him but he’s hurt.
I get it. I’m an idiot. I’ve probably lost my best friend. It’s gonna be awkward. And it’s all my fault.
Not entirely. I warned him, but he smirked and continued to try and catch you.
‘No,’ she replied out loud.
‘That took a long time to say,’ Quex noted. ‘I think you should raid her mind.’
‘Already raided, my friend.’
‘And?’
‘Wouldn’t you like to know?’
‘Yeah, but I guess I’m not being told anything.’
‘That’s right,’ Zanza put in, ‘so, shut your mouth before I shut it for you. Permanently.’
‘Anyway... Where’s Denim?’
‘With Jimone,’ Quex replied. ‘They’re getting cosy, huh?’
‘Cosy is an understatement,’ I muttered.
‘Actually. I’m right here.’
Denim appeared out of nowhere, making us jump.
‘Oh, hello there freak,’ I greeted. ‘’Sup?’
‘Eavesdropping, you know.’
‘Well, soon you won’t be the only one that can go invisible,’ I informed threateningly.
She tilted her head, confused. ‘Meaning?’
‘In Science we are making invisibility potions, remember?’
‘Oh, yeah... great fun.’
‘Oooh, looks like Denim has some competition in the disappearing department.’
She scowled, then vanished.
‘When you can do that, then there’ll be some competition. I can do this without sheep eyes and lizard tongues.’
Then I sensed she had left, but I couldn’t be sure.
‘They aren’t in the potion. Idiot.’
...
The walls of the school were approached. A dark figure strolled through the walls as though he was just in the park. How did he get in?
He paused, glancing behind him, waiting...
There was a roar and a huge army barged through the gates of the building. And a mountainous entity... burning things... screams of terror and agony... death...
Abcde sat bolt upright in her bed, gasping for breath, fear clutching at her with hunger.
It was all just a dream. Nothing more. Just a dream...
Abcde laid back into her cotton sheets, forcing her eyes closed. And though she had assured herself that it was only a dream, she couldn’t sleep until the sun was peeking through the curtains.
...
Abcde was wound with tension the next day. I tapped her shoulder when she hadn’t answered me, resulting in her screaming and falling over.
I was taken aback and gave her a quizzical stare.
She said she was fine (why was everyone saying that? I’m not an idiot, I’m a freaking mind-reader), but I made a note to search her mind later to find out this strange behaviour. Right now I was busy and didn’t have time to bombard her with questions.
‘Well, anyway, besides your spaz attack. I need you.’
‘Why?’ she asked suspiciously as though I was someone out to get her. Not like I was her friend or anything like that.
‘Just come with me.’
I led her to a corridor that was deserted.
‘You’re a cupid. Can you do reverse love spells?’
‘You mean, make someone fall out of love with someone?’ she raised an eyebrow.
‘Yeah.’
‘Why do you want someone to fall out of love?’
‘Because they had their heart kind of broken and are really upset.’
‘Zanza? You know I can’t do it human and alien cross ones, only both human or both-’
‘I know! It’s not for Zanza.’
‘Is it for you?’
‘I don’t like anyone! It’s for Regal. He likes Zanza.’
Abcde’s grey eyes grew wide.
‘Oh...’
‘Yeah, so can you?’
‘I suppose... Yeah, I could do that.’
‘Thanks,’ I sighed with relief. At least things will go back to “normal” a bit.
‘When?’
‘Later, we have class now.’
‘Ok, see ya.’
‘Bye, Abcde.’
And then we each left for our different rooms, and I felt a little lighter that I had taken off a weight from my heavy barbell.
...
I saw Abcde later at lunch for an old mind sweep.
It seemed to be a dream that she was so concerned about.
‘Why are you so jumpy about a dream?’ I asked, and she went red.
‘Stop reading my mind. It’s annoying,’ she said with not much hope.
‘Whatever, just spill.’
‘It doesn’t matter, I don’t really know myself, maybe because I thought it was real, and someone died, but I’m not really sure who it was anymore.’
I stared at her, knowing that she was telling the truth, that she was scared about it. I also knew I would receive no more information from her.
‘Well, I’m sorry about that and all. But, it was just a dream. You know it was, so please stop screaming at me when I call your name.’
‘Sure, I’ll just turn my paranoia to a minimal, yeah?’
‘Good, so are you gonna do some dark cupid stuff on the love-sick wizard?’
Abcde stared at me, an expression of embarrassment and longing on her face that made me edge into the world of her mind.
‘You like him!’
‘No I effing don’t.’
‘Oh, okay. Sure whatever. It’s not like I can read your mind or anything.’
Abcde blushed a shade of rose.
‘Argh. Don’t tell him though, or anyone else, serious, please.’
‘Don’t worry; your secret is safe with me... and Valish.’
‘What?’
‘Hey, I’m not gonna tell her, but she’ll probably find out.’
‘Yeah, well don’t hint anything for her to check, okay?’
‘Now, why would I do that?’
‘Because you have secret little mind-reading meetings. You’re both evil.’
I rolled my eyes.
‘Whatever. Just follow me.’
I took us to a narrow alleyway that peered at our alcove. We spotted Regal sitting a fair way away from Zanza. The tension was thick in the air and you could feel it from a distance.
‘Ok, go now, Ab,’ I whispered.
The girl furrowed her eyebrows.
‘What is it this time?’
‘Well... I don’t know. Forget it, I’ll do it now.’
Abcde fixed her eyes onto the boy, her eyes wide. Fluorescent pink was washing into her grey irises.
After a second, nothing big happened, but then the colour was lost from her eyes, and they faded to grey again.
‘Is it done?’ I asked.
‘Yes... but,’ she murmured. ‘I don’t know, but something is different. I don’t know what... something else happened...’
‘What? Did something go wrong?’
Abcde shook her head. ‘Never mind, it’s nothing. I just feel a bit strange.’
I gave her a concerned observation, but she shrugged it off and headed towards our group.
‘Hello,’ she greeted.
I didn’t say anything, sitting next to Quex and Valish silently.
‘Hey, Abcde!’ Regal replied, beaming like the sun after days of constant rain, brighter than any rainbow. ‘Sit next to me.’
Abcde and I shared a puzzled thought as our eyes met, then I turned away.
‘What’s wrong?’ Quex questioned. ‘You seem...’
‘No, nothing is. I’m fine. All’s good.’
Valish stared at me. I nodded and sent her an update.
Abcde has made Regal fall out of love with Zanza. But she said something weird happened, but didn’t know what, then said all was okay. And I’m confused. What if the spell is just temporary or something. Or what if he can never fall in love with anyone ever?
I don’t know, cupid is risky, I think. She might be able to fix any mistakes if they are shown, but how can you know if someone can never fall in love? What if it’s just that he will never meet someone he would love, and so we have no idea?
Crap. That would be my fault. If I wrecked his love life...
Don’t worry, that probably didn’t happen. Anyway, you were just thinking about him.
Argh, I’m a total idiot.
‘Can you both stop talking in your minds when I’m just here, thinking, “what the hell are they thinking?”’
‘Sorry Quex, but it’s easier. And you can’t know. Secret mind-reading business. If you can read minds, you can join, otherwise shut up.’
‘You’re nice, leaving me out of the conversation. Just stop talking about whatever and talk to me.’
‘Desperate for some attention, huh? I never thought you were the attention-seeking type.’
‘Shut up and talk to me.’
‘You do realize that is impossible. No, wait, it isn’t, ha ha.’
Sup? I said to Quex.
Nothing much, you?
Did you know that I like gherkins?
What the hell, no.
Well, I do. I don’t have many, but they are sooo good with cheese and crackers.
Yeah, I know.
Oh my gosh! Have I told you about the time when I was reading someone’s mind when they were having dirty thoughts about you?
What?!
Ha ha, and I was like ARGH! Oh my gosh, I have to tell Quex!
Who was it?
Wouldn’t you like to know?
I wiggled my eyebrows.
That’s kinda why I asked.
Whatever, don’t have to scream at me. My eardrums will burst, and I’ll be deaf so I’d have to talk like this all the time. How awkward would that be?
Very awkward, but I wasn’t yelling. Now, who was it?
I dunno, some random in a class. It was a guy.
‘What?!’
Everyone turned to stare at Quex and I cracked up, and then Valish did too.
Ha ha, I’m just kidding, it was a shemale. Fine, a girl. We don’t have any hermaphrodites in any of our classes. Anyway, don’t be so homophobic, it’s irrational. I’m pretty sure one of my friends is homosexual. He’s nice.
Geez, demented much?
No, Xavier is awesome.
I mean, why won’t you just tell me who liked me?
Meh, this is fun?
No.
It was Gabby. I informed.
Wow. That would have been awkward.
Yeah, I know. But you are thinking, oh my gosh, I should ask her out.
No I’m not. I don’t like her.
Ooooh, who do you like?
No one.
Ha ha, yeah I know.
You are so weird.
And yet you’re still my bestie.
I guess I like weird friends.
Because you don’t want to be the only one with a crazy mind.
You’re crazier.
Normal is boring. So thank ye kindly.
‘Quex! What the hell is wrong with you?!’ I screamed out loud. ‘You’re a freak! Get away from me!’
‘Oh my gosh, Quex!’ Valish played along after she caught on to what I was doing.
‘What?’ he looked confused.
I stood up and shook my head in disgust. ‘You’re a foul monster, how could you?’
Valish stalked off with me, leaving the group staring at Quex like there was something wrong with him, and he just sat there, puzzled.
When we were clear out of earshot, we started to double over with laughter.
‘What was with that?’ Valish asked when we had calmed a bit, but still chortling.
‘I don’t know. Random amusing stuff, because we’re so awesome,’ I replied. ‘Oh my gosh, their faces were all like “what the eff is going on here?” Priceless.’
I sighed.
‘I’m hungry, wanna get some burgers?’

This book has 42 comments. Post your own now!

ZeeBYoung said...
This is wonderful. All the awards for you Glen Coco.

mervie! said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:24 am
mervie is such a brave little girl! i cant believe she takes down a massive serpent! wow! and shes like 7, right????

ruklove replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:26 am
yer, she's 7. At least, Mervie thinks so. Remember? When they first meet? And then ruk comes along with his sexc bald head, lol. yer, i love merve! i wonder where she ends up when the war is over. and ruk.... actually what happens to all the trolls?

mervie! replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:27 am
yeah, what does happen to them? Cause their master is dead and all. Plus, Merve's parents! Are they dead or alive? I need to know!

ruklove replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:29 am
well............... they were both locked up in a dungeon....... so...... i'm guessing they are dead, but I don't know either! I really want to find out too, but especially ruk, lol, hes awesome!

ruklove said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:46 am
am i the only one that wanted Ruk and Kurlz to go out?????

EWWW! replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:48 am
EWWWW! Ruk and Kurlz? That is just NASTY! i am a quex and kurlz girl, all the way! they were meant to be!

rukurlz replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:49 am
i agree with ruklove...... they are so sweet together. why does it matter if ruk is a troll?

no!!! replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:03 am
ruk and kulz???????are u kidding me? gross! that's SOOOOO wrong!

rukurlz replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:04 am
i like the idea of those two together as well! they would be so sweet!

love replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:07 am
I think that regal and kurlz would be good.... i no that regal gets with abcde, and kurlz likes quex,.... but i think that their personalities would be good together. he's all smirks and shes so random and funny adn they can get on eachothers nerves and stuff. i love the idea of them! <3 kuregal :D XD

ruklove replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:45 am
kuregal? NO WAY!!!!! Regal and Abcde are meant to be. they love each other!

areyoukiddingme? replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 3:49 am
seriouslu guys! It is totally Querlz or Kuex.... I dont no yet, lol. But there is no such thing as rukurlz or kuregal. Abcdegal or Regabcde are perfect. Malish or Varn are cuties. Jimonenim or Denimone..... i wonder if they get back together after that whole tiff. that's putting it lightly lol.

i<3quex replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 3:54 am
QUEX 'N' KURLZ FOREVA! I am a total (as 'areyoukiddingme?' put it) Kuex or Querlz fan! They are totally meant to be! rukurlz is just WRONG! can you even hear what you are saying? I agree totally with the person above ^^^. LOVE THIS NOVEL! :D :D

silverlining replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 7:21 am
kurlz and ruk are NOT gettin together! yuk! so so SO wrong! why are people making up names for couples? it's so weird, but also kindah cool. i like this novel

ruklove replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:20 am
you don't no if they are getting togeth or not! There are (from what ive heard) 2 more books to be written, and ruk didnt die in this one as other people have thought....... ruk may be a nasty troll in the begining, but he becomes nice coz of kurlz. they would be cute, and mervie would be like their daughter, lol, jks!

ruklove replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:21 am
there are 2 more books in the series, so how do u know? anything could happen! and i think that they would be so cute togeth with merve as their daughter, lol, jks!

sesameandemases said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:34 am
hiyya! just wanted to tell ya me and my sis loved this! it was so funny we were cracking up alot. and i swear i cried when hyenthis died, AND when  she left merve. oh! i LOVE THIS SO MUCH!

bec<3jake replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:36 am
I cried too! I was so sad! I can't believe that! Hyenthis was so beautiful and such a good friend. why did she have to go????????

slimjims replied...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:39 am
i didn't cry..... but i almost did! my sista called me a wuss, lol