Assassination | Teen Ink

Assassination

By Manda424 BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Manda424 BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Life life to the fullest!!

Author's note: I wanted to do a novel with guns, romance and danger. The dark and edgy stuff that keeps readers wanting more and never wanting to put the book down, even to sleep.

“For the love of God, move!” I shouted as I was trying so hard not to kill anyone. If they only got out of my way.
“I don’t think you—” A boy started but I shot him a death glare as if saying I dare you to. He shut his mouth tightly almost losing a chunk of his tongue.
The crowd slowly started to move off to the side vertebrae by vertebrae. As if I have all the time in the freaking world. Well guess what? I don’t. Any minute now someone (a particular someone) could invade on my fun (again).
I was getting irritated that they weren’t exactly moving quick enough. I have a very short temper and this is seriously pushing it.
“Seriously get out of my way!” I heard my voice echo through the chaotic happenings. I was just about to shoot when I felt a strong hand pull my arm back down. I jerked my elbow back hoping to knock in him in the face so he’d lose grip of my arm. It didn’t exactly go as planned. Told you someone is going to invade on my fun (again).
“You know you’re not supposed to be shooting.” I heard the young male voice say behind me. I hate when people tell me “I’m not supposed to” it gets on my nerves, especially here when I was supposed to be improving on my shooting. As you can probably tell I get irritated quick. “Hand me the gun.”
As stubborn as I am I didn’t hand it over. I was too busy trying to prove to these low lives that I can and will shoot without missing. But the problem was my “body guard” if that’s what you wanna call it, wouldn’t let go of my arm.
“I suggest you let go of my arm before I shoot you!” I threatened. “And trust me I won’t miss.” I didn’t turn my head around but I knew that without even doing that he was smiling an almost evil smile if you had to describe it. To tell you the truth I actually didn’t want to turn around. It’s like why in the hell would you smile at that?
“I know you wouldn’t.” My body guard agreed with me but he changed back to trying to make me think twice about shooting the target, “Now you know if you shoot me you’ll be in a hell of a lot more trouble than you would be if you shot the target.”
I admit it he was right but ever since I arrived here it’s been hell! Especially since my dad made me have a bodyguard to watch me! I’m not a toddler or a baby that needs constant watching, just because I’m rebellious and tend not to listen when I’m supposed to doesn’t mean I need to be watched.
“What’s all the commotion in here?” I heard a teacher’s voice call through the halls. I knew that I wasn’t even supposed to be down here where the targets and guns are. And I know that not only will I be in trouble for being down here but I’ll also be in trouble for A) not listening to my body guard which happens on a daily basis and B) for nearly shooting straight through someone which I know is bound to pop up in conversation. As soon as everyone heard the teacher they started to move to the side. So now they wanna move their asses? Great and right when I’m in trouble too.
“Ms. Du Brie,” I turned around and saw the headmaster staring down on me.
“Ugh, fantastic.” I mumbled as I stared up at the leader of the school.
He looked at me and shook his head since he heard what I just said. Like anything else is new? “Thank you Mr. Gates for holding her. It would’ve been quite ugly if shots were fired.” I rolled my eyes and glared at the teenage boy who in my opinion shouldn’t be thanked at all. “Please Ms. Du Brie hand the gun to Mr. Gates and follow me.”
Normally I would’ve argued but in this case I’d be down on the ground faster than I could position the gun to shoot, so I handed the gun to my body guard as soon as he let go of my arms. Before I let it go I made him pull me close to him so we were nearly nose to nose.
“Don’t think it’ll be this easy next time.” I whispered in his ear. I saw the hint of a smirk as he gratefully accepted the gun.
“Don’t worry, I won’t.” He whispered back and smiled at me like he just got me in trouble. Which I wouldn’t be surprised if he did. As soon as I started following the headmaster he looked behind him, “Mr. Gates would come with us as well.” I looked at the headmaster like he was crazy but thankfully he didn’t see me. My body guard gave the gun to one of the other boys, his lips curled up slightly, and caught up with us as we were going up the stairs.
I didn’t like the fact that my body guard was right behind me. I didn’t like the fact that he was going to hear me getting yelled at either. But I guess you could say that I’m used to it. Sorta. I mean my body guard is always following me and I’d gotten used to someone always behind me but the fact that he’s going to hear me getting yelled at, especially with his smart ass attitude, I swear today was not going to be a good day.
We passed a bunch of paintings and important descriptions of stuff that I really didn’t care about. I know for a fact that most of these paintings are traps and are just hiding waiting for when an intruder or an enemy tries stealing one. It won’t be pretty, the result of the trap either. But continuing on the path I realized that in the two months I’ve been here I’ve seen these paintings probably more than any other student has. Besides my body guard, which his orders are to protect me and not let any harm come to me. But he was more like keeping me from all the fun stuff. Which is mostly the dangerous stuff but if I’m in this school to learn how to be as good as an assassin as my dad then someway somehow he needs to let me explore.

The headmaster turned the knob to his “study” and opened the door. A cool blast of air brushed past us making my hair fly back. It was cool and crisp but the scent was clean. And I don’t mean the clean as in laundry clean, I mean bleached-down clean. It wasn’t an unfamiliar scent but it did, like always, catch me by surprise. The headmaster stepped aside motioning for me and my body guard to step inside. I wasn’t planning on going in first normally this is my time to step aside myself and try to get back to my room but without any notice at all, the teenage boy put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me inside. Once we were inside I nearly clocked him upside the head but like I’ve been noticing lately, I failed.
“Natalie, Natalie, Natalie. You’re never going to learn huh?” He said still griping my arm by the wrist in front of his face. If the headmaster wasn’t standing right there I would’ve put the heel of my boot into his foot but I was already in enough trouble as it is.
“Take a seat Natalie.” The headmaster closed his office door and walked to his desk. I sat down in one of the chairs that were in front of it. My body guard sat in the chair diagonal of the desk and it was somewhat behind me. I looked back at him and he smiled at me and adjusted himself. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the headmaster. He was somewhat angry, I suppose. He had the same look on his face that my dad gives me when I nearly pissed him off. “What are we going to do with you?”
I know what he meant by that. I guess since I’ve been here I’ve been in nothing but trouble. This was my fifth time coming in here and the last time the headmaster threatened to call my father. And that’s not the slightest bit good.
“If you recall Natalie, I told you that you were forbidden to use the guns until your father says otherwise.” The headmaster reminded me. I was about to protest but he cut me off and continued, “If you recall Natalie, I told you that if you came in here again I was going to call your father.” He once again reminded me. And once again he cut me off as I was trying to explain, “If you recall Natalie, I told you that you were supposed to listen to your body guard.”
“I know but if you listened to me for two sec—”
“What’s there to hear Nat?” I looked at the headmaster but his mouth didn’t move. And it was too deep to be my body guard’s voice. There was only one person that could have that voice and now was seriously not the time for him to be here.
“I thought you said you were going to only call him. Not ask him to come down here.” I hissed through my teeth at the headmaster. He cocked his head and looked at me weirdly. “I did call him but he insisted on seeing you rather than talk to you.”
I looked back and my father was standing by me, he didn’t take a seat he just stood behind me. It wasn’t a very comforting feeling.
“Andre, good to see you.” Dad said looking at my body guard.
“Wait a minute,” I started. I looked at Andre then back at dad, “When did you meet Andre, dad?”
My father looked at me, still towering over me, and completely ignored the question, “What’d you do this time Nat?”
I looked at Andre and he gazed at me then smiled. His blue eyes burning bright. And with that I knew something was up. I knew that someone wasn’t telling me something and I was going to find out why. I can’t believe dad knows Andre. It’s just not exactly what you’d wanna call right.
“I didn’t do anything. I’m sick and tired of people telling me what to do.” I said and crossed my arms. I looked at the headmaster and he was staring at me like he didn’t believe me or something.
“That’s not what your uncle told me.” My dad said taking the seat next to me. I looked at the headmaster and he nodded as if he did tell his brother what happened. I thought I heard Andre snickering and I flashed a look of warning that if he doesn’t watch it he’s going to end up like all the other bad guys I’ve killed.
“Thanks a lot Uncle Mark.” I said staring at the headmaster. He smiled and shook his head at me like I was acting foolish. And I wasn’t.
“Nat, he said that you were about to fire a gun even though I specifically told you that you were forbidden to use them until I figured out what was going on.” I glanced at my dad and he looked upset I can understand why but at least he didn’t look like he did that one time when I nearly shot his head off because I wasn’t paying attention, I was twelve. “Also that you wouldn’t listen to Andre, you’ve been doing that lately I understand.”
I didn’t say anything. I was trapped. I knew he’d find out sooner or later. I told him that I didn’t want to be sent here in the first place. I told him that I wouldn’t fit in even if my uncle was the headmaster. I told my dad yet he didn’t listen and here I am sitting in the office I’ve seen at least five times because I wouldn’t obey the rules.
“Dad I told you that I wouldn’t fit in. I warned you that I’d get into trouble if you put me in this school.” I said finally. My dad looked at me and glanced at his brother.
“Natalie, sweetheart, it’s not about fitting in. It’s about getting better and learning the rules of assassination. I put you in this school because I don’t always have the time to teach you. And when we’re on a mission I can’t because I have to focus on keeping me and you alive.” Dad explained to me. I already knew that but I’d rather be with him than here with Andre always following me around. That’s another question that wasn’t answered.
“Dad, not to get off topic,” even though that’s exactly why I’m asking this now, “how do you know Andre?”

Dad glanced at Andre who has apparently appeared next to me. I gave him an almost dirty look but it was more shock than anything else.
“Sweetheart that’s something you should ask Andre, not me.” Dad replied and leaned back in his chair a little. I looked over at Andre and he smiled a sinister smile at me, his eyes continued to burn brightly, and I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. “Nat listen to me,” I turned my gaze to dad who had a serious look on his face, “I need you to try and behave while you’re here. It’s only going to be a few—”
“Dad!” I gasped interrupting him. But he continued as if I didn’t say anything, “— months, then I’ll come and spring you out of here. Alright?”
“A few months? I’ve already been here for two. I don’t think I can handle a few more.” I protested. I looked at Andre. He was looking down at his hands till he looked up and locked his gaze with mine. The blue of his eyes got unbelievingly bright and his mouth slightly turned up. I felt like I was going to be sick. “I really don’t think I can handle it.”
“Sweetheart it won’t be that long. Just keep yourself occupied by not getting in trouble and you’ll be fine.” Dad tried to assure me. I looked around me and tried to think of ways to keep myself occupied. Quite frankly there’s nothing really to do here.
“Dad why can’t I use the guns?” I asked. I know that he explained it to me before he brought me to this God forbid awful place but I wasn’t paying attention.
“Honey it’s just on the matter that I want you to stay safe. I’m on the verge of something big and I don’t want to repeat mom’s incident.” Dad said answering my question fully.
Mom. The word hit me in my chest like an iceberg. Even with my mother gone it feels like she still lingers around here. I miss her more than anything. More than my freedom.
Dad looked at me and my eyes started to water. I was trying not to cry but that was the first time someone mentioned mom in months. I can still smell her freshly new perfume filling the still air and her Italian shampoo that was brought home after one of those missions that I wasn’t allowed on. I stood up and sort of turned my back on the three people that were in there. I felt strong arms around me and saw dad’s ring that he never took off. He hugged me tightly and kissed my hair. I guess he knew what I was thinking.
“I miss her too sweetheart.” He kept hold of me and continued to talk. “Stay strong and I’ll be back to get you.” I looked at my dad and he kissed my forehead and walked to the office doors and out he went. That was the first contact I had with him since he dropped me off here two months ago.
I walked back to the chair I was sitting in and Andre moved so he was next to me. I had a feeling he knew my dad was coming. I also had a feeling that he knew more about the situation than he was telling me.
“So are we done here? Can I finally go back to my room and bang my head against the wall till I see two of everything?” I asked being a total smart ass to my uncle who was sitting so calmly and relaxed. Now see if I said that to my dad or mom they’d probably clock me upside the head. But that’s them.
“You’re so sarcastic. That comes from our side of the family I suppose, although I do remember that your mother was sarcastic as well.” Uncle Mark mentioned. I wasn’t being sarcastic; I was being a smart ass.
Stop mentioning my mother. “Well yes she was sarcastic but dad beats her sarcasm by a land slide.” I said correcting my uncle. No matter whom it is Du Brie’s hate being corrected. It’s just the way we are.
My uncle didn’t say anything so I decided that I was going to leave. I headed for the door and the copper colored door knob. As I got closer to the ruggedly old knob I looked back and Andre was gone. I shook my head and looked at where he was sitting but no one was there. I swear I was losing it. I twisted the knob and walked out of the office.
It was strange walking down there alone without Andre following me. But I felt a strange presence behind me. I knew that whoever was behind me I had a clear shot to kicking them where it’ll make a guy cry like a baby.
I raised my leg then stretched it back fast and strong. But I didn’t kick the person; I was hopping on one leg because the person had hold of my leg and wouldn’t let it go. I heard laughing and I knew who it was because I heard that laugh every day.