The cost of curiosity | Teen Ink

The cost of curiosity

May 4, 2011
By Hannah Dolezal BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
More by this author
Hannah Dolezal BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: My little sister inspired this actually, because she is so full of life, and absolutely loves reading and writing. The main character is modeled after her, as is the main character's older sister, modeled after myself. I really want people to get from this piece, that the things most important to us, and the world, are always worth fighting for. At the same time, trust is a fickle thing, and something never to be taken for granted.

Shhhh. You can't tell anyone. It's a secret. If people know, they will be mad. I don't like it when people are mad at me. But I'm seven now, so I don't get as mad at. Even though one time, when I was six, I accidentely bumped into mama's special vase from grandma and it broke into a bajillion pieces. After that mama was so mad at me that I couldn't see Charlie anymore for a whole week! And Charlie is my bestest friend ever. Even bester than my big sissy Rachel. But only because Rachel is big now, so she doesn't need annoying little sisters like me. Rachel is best friends with Peter. But she told me once that she like likes Peter. I said "Ewwww!!!!!!!!!" And then I made a face. I will never like like a boy. Escpecially Charlie. Because he's my best friend so that would be icky. Anyway Rachel made me pinky swear I will never ever tell anyone ever about the secret. But it's a big secret and I'm dieing to tell. Still mama and daddy would probably never talk to me again. And daddy would never do rocket again. And rocket is so fun! It's where daddy picks me up and whooshes me around the living room. It makes mama mad, so we can only do it when she's away from the house. If we stopped playing rocket, I think I would lock myself in my room forever. And only Charlie could come in and give me my meals. But I also think if I don't tell anybody I will explode! So I decided to write it here. I just learned how to write because Rachel taught me. And Peter taught her. I don't know where Peter learned it. Maybe I will ask Rachel. Still, it doesn't count as telling someone if I just write it down, right? You won't tell anyone, will you paper? Rachel stoled you for me, so I could be a rebel. She says a rebel is someone who goes against the system. I don't know what the system is. Sometimes big sissies are super confusing. Oh! Hold on someone is knocking on my door and I have to hide you fast. Quick! Under my bed!

"Hey hon" Says daddy.

"Hi Daddy!"

"So squirt, I never got to talk to you about your big trip to the MSBT. How'd it go?"

Uh-oh. Daddy is good at asking questions I don't want to talk about. But Daddy does know everything.

"Oh, well, you know it was okay. Charlie and I traded our pudding cups, so I ate the chocolate!"

"Ah, kiddo, you know how mama doesn't like it when you have chocolate." Daddy just gave me a disapproving look.

"I know Daddy, but it was just a one-timer. I pinky swear, and I will never ever do it again!"

"Haha, well alright, but I'm trusting you on this one." Daddy points his fat finger at me, and I point mine back.

"You got my trust Agent D!" I say to him.

"Haha good then Agent S!" Then I start giggling, cause there's no more such thing as Agents, and secrets. Except for my big one. I try no to think about it.

"Did you guys see the big book?"

I gulp.

"Well, I mean yes, but Charlie and I were talking about his new puppy, Sport, so I didn't really hear what Mrs. Meyers was saying."

"Yeah, well what did you think about it?"

"Uh, well, I-I uh, I don't know."

"What do you mean squirt?"

"Well it was just... kinda uh-" - suddenly we hear a high pitched "beeeeeep!"

"-Oh shoot! Hey, kiddo, I gotta run to work here, but we'll finish this when I get home, ok?"

I let out a big breath. "Ok daddy, sounds good!"

"Hey looks like your mom might have to check in. Sounds like it's a big deal."

I guess the beep was pretty high, but still. Mama rarely has to go to work. This must be big.

"Ok, bye daddy!"

"See ya kid."

It all started on tuesday when my class went to the MSBT- Or the "Museum of Super Bad Things". Usually it's a ghost town there, because no one wants to be associated with the bad things. The only reason we even have a museum of them, Mrs. Meyers said, is so that Littles like us can see everything that is bad, and never be tempted to see, hear, or think they are good. One of the MSBT's most prized possession of shame, is the "Book". Everyone just calls it "Book" now because anyone who used to be able to read is now dead like a door knob. Except me. Because Peter taught Rachel, who taught me and Charlie, how to read and write.

Anyhow, when Charlie and I first saw the "Book" everyone acted like it was very evil. But it didn't look like a scary monster with gnashing teeth- which is how Betty, who is a third grader described it. So Charlie and I asked Mrs. Meyers why it was so bad. Our answer was time out for the rest of the field trip! When we left, we had to pass by it, and I couldn't stop staring at it. It looked kind of pretty with dark leather, and golden lettering at the tip top. I only told this to Charlie though because he is my very best friend. I whispered it to him on the big yellow bus, and his eyes got real big like sausages, but he didn't rat me out to Mrs. Meyers. Sometimes I think Charlie is the only person with any decencies. That's what mama says is the best thing about him. But my favorite thing about Charlie is his big green eyes. They always look soft like the margarine in the grocery store. So then when Charlie and I got dropped off the bus and onto our street we decided to go to my house, because unlike me, Charlie doesn't have a big sister to ask about big non-scary books. That's a difference between us, which mama says is good, but I disagree. I wish Charlie and I were exactly the same, because he's my very best friend. When we got into my house we went up to Rachel's room. We had to knock on the door and wait for a response because Rachel is usually busy with big girl things. She's in the eighth grade, so she's super big. Rachel answered the door and I said, "Rachel, Charlie and I went to the RSBT today and saw the "Book", but it wasn't scary to us. Why is it so bad?" We asked Rachel, because she knows thirdly everything. Next to mama, who is next to daddy.

Rachel just blinked at me, then asked me where mama and daddy was. So I said "Please Rachel, just tell me!”

"Sam, this is important, is mom and dad home?"

"No Rachel, gosh!"

"Ok, then what I'm about to tell you two is very different from what every single other person has told you."

"Rachel stop being such a doofus and just tell us."

"Alright, but only if each of you pinky swears not tell anyone never ever ever, what I am about to tell you."

Charlie let out a big sigh, and rolled his green eyes, but stuck out his pinky. Rachel looked him in the eye and shook it. Then she looked at me.

"C'mon Sam, let's just get this over with," Charlie encouraged me.

"This better not be some lame joke Rach'." I said in most menacing voice, and then we shook pinkies.

"Ok. You guys know how you've always been taught that reading and writing are bad? That they cause people to do horrible things to one another?"

Charlie and I shook our heads up and down.

"Well, none of that is true."

"What?!" Charlie and I were pretty shocked.

Rachel went on to tell us that books and writing were actually good tools which once helped humans to communicate with each other. She said that beautiful stories were told with magic and dragons and handsome princes saving pretty girls. She told us that books were not the bad things. That people were. She said people had the capacity with books to love each other, help the world, and inspire people- but instead they hurt each other and made the world sad.

Charlie and I couldn't believe it. At first we thought she was lying, but then we started putting our thinking caps on. Mrs. Meyers says that thinking caps help us to think to our bestest.

I asked her "Rachel, how do you know all this?"

And she told me "You know Peter my friend right?"

"You mean Peter your boyfriend?" Then me and Charlie started with the giggles, but Rachel got frustrated so we had to stop.

"Peter and his family remember the old ways. They kept the secrets about books with them for a long time. One day Peter told me about the books- and I was just as confused as you are- but then...Peter showed me something he wrote once."

"What? Silly Rachel, you know people can't write. It's legal-"

"You mean illegal."

"Yeah. And if Peter showed you that then daddy would have to punish him."

"Plus, he would be kicked out of school for, like, ever!" Charlie chimed in.

"I know. And I know this is a lot to hear, but all those reasons is why you guys can never tell anybody."

"But Rachel, Charlie and I don't lie," Charlie nodded with me. "And if we gets caught we'll all be punished!"

"I know, I know- but- it's time for the world to wake up guys. The people have forgotten what they are capable of. We've got to remind them."

"But how can we do that? We're not the town elders or important people. I like being not capable!" Said Charlie. He wasn't too happy at first.

"Here let me read this to you..."Rachel brought out some paper- which at first was weird, cause I had only ever seen it in movies.

She read to us something Peter wrote. The markings on the page didn't make sense at first, but the pictures she painted with her words were extra-ordinary, and afterwards, me and Charlie were speechless.

"Do you guys see why books and reading is so special now? We can't just let them disapear. People like mom and dad, they've forgotten how much they need this. Do you guys promise to keep my little secret?"

Me and Charlie had to have a secret meeting before we made up our minds.

"Ok," said Charlie. "But we want you to teach us."

"Excuse me?" Said Rachel. She was shocked.

"We want to know how to read the magic words, and write the pretty letters. If you teach us Rach', we won't tell a single ever living soul ever. Promise." I told her.

Rachel sorta got this little smile and the wet in her eyes "Ok guys. I'll teach you."

Since then Rachel has been teaching me and Charlie how to do all the "bad" stuff. And she stoled you for me, and now I've written down my big secret. Oops, there's another knock on the door. Back under bed- fast!

"Sam, we need to get out of here." It's Rachel.

"What why?"

Someone tipped off mom, and dad. They know the secret's out. They don't know it's us yet- but it won't take them long to figure it out."

"Rachel that is ridiculous! Anyways how do you know? You're just trying to scare me and boss me around like always!"

"Sam! This isn't a joke! I just came from Peter's house. His family have Finder scanners, so that they're prepared in emergencies like this." Finder scanners are like walkie talkies, but for Finders only.

"But Rachel, I can't just leave! What about Rocket, and being antsy! Daddy was going to finish talking to me about my field trip, and Mama was going to take me shopping for brand new denims on Saturday! Can't we just stay and try to figure it out here?"

"Sam. This is Mom and Dad's job. To Find people who learn the truth. You wanted to know Sam, you and Charlie. Now it's time to leave."

"No I don't believe it. Agent D wouldn't just leave me!"

"He took an oath to punish those who may seek to "dillute the minds of individuals" whether it be by wife, parents or children.

The wet things start to fall from my eyes."But Ra-Rachel, w-what are w-we going to?"

"Peter and his family are getting a van together. We will run away with them Sam. We'll stay free and with the beautiful stories forever."

"No-o but what bout Charlie? He's my bestest friend ever! I can't just leave him here all by himself!"

"Fine, we'll make a short stop by Charlie's house, but he's only got three minutes to get out and in the van, or we are gone."

I'm wailing now. I love the town and mama and daddy. Rocket is my favoritest. And PB&J, and sun flowers, and yummy chocolate.

Rachel bends down and faces me. "Shhhh...it will be okay," she wipes my tears. "I will take care of you forever. I love you so much Sam. We're going to be just fine." And a small wet escapes the corner of her eye.

"Quick- grab what you need. We leave in two minutes." Then she's out the door. Out to Peter. I grab my stuffed hippo- the bestest of my stuffed animals- and my pink purse that daddy gave me. I pick up the jar of seashells that mama gave me last year when she went on a big trip. The wets come faster than ever, but they don't make sound anymore. I pack up my prettiest shirts and denims, and even the fancy dress I wore to "Daddy Daughter Date Dance" at my girlscout party. Then I go to mama and daddies room and I take one of their fluffiest pillows because it smells just like them. I will smell it forever.

Rachel comes back and grabs my hand.

"It's time to get Charlie now."

"But I'm not done yet!"

"Now Sam!" She says, picking me up around my middle, and throwing me over her shoulder just like that.

"No! I can't! I'm not ready!" But she doesn't respond. She just keeps walking until we're out of the house. She throws me in the back of a blue van. There's all sorts of weird stuff in it, that I can't make out- but I do recognize Peter's parents.

"Please don't make me go! Whatabout mama and daddy!"

They don't answer, but Peter's mom grabs me and holds me too tight. I think she is trying to hug me, but it hurts. She starts crying but still doesn't say anything. I squirm and wiggle, but her grip is good. The van is going very fast, even though Charlie's house is just down the street. I hear the Finder sirens in the background.

"Go!" Yells Rachel when we're in the driveway. "Get in there and grab Charlie! There's no time for him to pack, just grab him and go!" She's sitting in the front seat and she sounds so far away.

I open the door slowly, because I can't think fast. My legs feel like the heavy bricks that the school is made out of. I try to run up the driveway, but I think I'm doing it wrong. Suddenly Charlie comes out the door. He runs up and gives me a hug.

"Sam! I'm so sorry!" Why is he sorry? He's hugging me, and he won't let go, I'm trying to tell him we have to leave now, but my mouth won't move. My eyes aren't seeing correctly. The sirens are getting super loud now. Super duper loud. I can't hear anything else. Out of the corner of my eye I see the blue van trying to drive away. Why are they leaving me?

But now another car has crashed into them, and they can't move.

Oh no.

It's the Finder squad.

I see mama and daddy. I can't help myself- I'm happy to see them, even though I know I'm supposed to run away now. But Charlie still won't let go. Now a big Finder is lifting me up, up, up, and away. Charlie is backing up. I see him mouth the words "sorry".

The sirens are so loud.

Charlie's parents have come out now. They stand next to him. Why isn't Charlie running with me? Doesn't he know We have to go right now?

The Finders have pulled everyone out of the blue van. They're pulling us into the screaming cars. I open my mouth, but I can't tell if I'm screaming too.

I see daddy a few feet away.

He turns around, facing away from me.

"Daddy! Daddy please, help me!"

He doesn't answer me.

Walter walks down the Captive Facilities main hallway. Pushing Rachel and Sam out of his mind. This was his job. He took an oath. He exits the building, climbing into his car, heading home for the day.

Once home, the house is unusually quiet. No Sam running to great him, begging for Rocket. No Rachel playing her loud rock music. The house is a ghost town without them. He refuses to cry, but can't help wandering into each of their rooms.

First into Rachel's taking careful note of her pictures on the wall. Her bed, left unmade. It's too much for him, and he enters into Sam's room.

Her room is left even messier. Her enormous stuffed animal collection huddled in the corner. The electric pink and blue paint on the walls. Clothes strewn all over the floor. He walks over to his daughter's dresser, picking up an old picture of he and Sam. They were playing Rocket. She was flying in the air, limbs flailing. He had a smile on his face. The kind only Sam seemed to be able to bring out.

He throws the picture into a nearby trashcan, shattering the glass everywhere. He starts to leave the room. Mandy would be home soon to make them dinner. Dinner for two.

A small tear runs out the corner of his eye, leaving a trace along his face, until it drops onto the carpet.

Walter barely notices it.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.