The Wake Up Call | Teen Ink

The Wake Up Call

March 6, 2011
By foreveroctober GOLD, Pompton Plains, New Jersey
More by this author
foreveroctober GOLD, Pompton Plains, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life, he realized, was much like a song. In the beginning there is mystery, in the end there is confirmation, but it's the middle where all the emotion resides to make the whole thing worthwhile." - The Last Song, Nicholas Sparks


June’s curly auburn hair swayed in the breeze as she walked up to the old, vintage, 1980’s rathskellar bar. She climbed up the stairs to the bar, taking them two by two. She opened the wood door, noises swarmed around her. She heard people talking, yelling, and singing to the music playing in the background. People were dancing and drinking. She walked up to the drinking area and took a seat on her usual stool. One of the bartenders, Miles, walked over to June.

“Hey June, how ya doing tonight?”

“Good Miles thanks.”

“I’ll get you your usual?” he asked

“Thanks Miles,” she answered. She came to the bar every night. It was her time to get away from the world. Not that there was anything to really get away from. She was twenty-four and had no idea what she wanted to do with her life. Even though she was twenty-four years of age she was just starting college. Her parents wanted her to go to college right away but she had refused. She wasn’t ready. She still wasn’t ready, and she wondered if she would ever be. But her parents finally forced her into enrolling. She was going to the local community college, taking classes like basket weaving and history of film (which all she did was watch movies by the way.) She took the core courses that every student has to take and simply filled the other courses with classes that seemed easy. Miles brought over June’s drink and placed it in front of her. This was the beginning of a long night of drinking and dancing.


*
*
*

June’s hair slid down her back as she drank her seventh drink of the night. She felt the tangy drink slide down her throat. It burned her throat and intoxicated her veins, it was invigorating. June slammed her drink back down on the table.

“Give me another one, Miles! Fill it all the way to the top!” She yelled.

“This is the last one, June. Were closing in ten minutes.” Miles said as he re-filled her glass.

“What time is it?” she asked him

“It’s ten minutes to midnight. You know midnight is closing time. And besides, you are the only one still here.” June looked around. Miles was right. She couldn’t believe it was already twelve. Time seemed to have slipped away from her. She gulped down her last drink.

“Thanks Miles. See you tomorrow.” She said.

“Bye June, I’ll have your usual waiting for you.” He answered.

“Thanks.”

June’s hair glided across her back as she walked. She stepped out into the cold, November night. June headed for her car. Although others lived in a dorm room on campus, June had chosen to live in an apartment off campus so she could be closer to her best friend, Amanda. Amanda is twenty-eight years old and lived a block away from June’s apartment with her husband, Mike and their three year old daughter, Amber. As June was driving home she felt her emerald green eyes wanting to shut. She fought every urge to keep them open and was relieved when her lime green Volkswagen bug turned into her driveway. As soon as she was inside the small, one bedroom apartment she went straight to bed. In bed, she brought her legs against her body and rolled the covers further up her legs; trying to collect the warmth as if she were collecting butterflies in a jar.

Chirp! Chirp! Chirp! The sounds of the birds woke June from her sleep. She got out of bed and got dressed. She fumbled around her room looking for her favorite turquoise sweater. She finally found it in the back of her coffee colored dresser. June searched her closet looking for her pair of tan boots. When she finally found them she was ready to head to Amanda’s house. Every morning June came to Amanda’s house and ate breakfast with her, Amber, and Mike. She got into her car and aimlessly drove down the block. She turned into Amanda’s newly paved driveway. She walked towards Amanda’s large, tan house. As she was walking, the wind sang a beautiful song of mystery. June opened up the beautiful royal blue door.

“Hey.” She called. Amanda walked into the hallway.

“Hey June.” Her pin straight, jet black hair fanned out across her back reaching to her orange painted fingertips.

“Aunt June!” Amber ran into the room, her short black hair waving back and forth. Amber always called June “Aunt,” June came over so often that that was practically what she was to her. Especially since June was really the only “family” they
had. Mike and Amanda both had no brothers or sisters, Amanda’s parents died when she was young, and Mike’s father died three years ago and his mom followed shortly after.

“Amber, come here baby.” June bent down and reached out her arms, Amber ran into them. June picked up Amber. June laughed, everyday Amber acted like they hadn’t seen each other in years and they were being reunited. June brought Amber back down to the ground.

“Come on, June, let’s get something to eat.” Amanda told June. They walked into the kitchen. June took off her turquoise sweater and rested it on top of the granite countertop. Amanda and Amber were making chocolate chip pancakes. Naturally, June joined in. Amber was stirring the batter, Amanda was putting it on the pan, and June flipped the pancakes.

“Where’s Mike?” June asked.

“Mike ran out for a bit. He’ll be back in a couple minutes.” Sure enough, Mike was soon there.

“Hey Mike.” June said.

“Hey June. How are you doing?” Mike asked as he rolled up his sleeves of his vibrant and maroon striped T-shirt.

“Good.” Mike joined in making pancakes. When they were done, they ate the savory chocolate chip pancakes. The chocolate melted in her mouth like an ice cube melting in the sun. She chewed her pancake quietly. When Amber went upstairs, Amanda asked June:

“June, are you okay? You look really tired.”

“I am. I was out all night drinking at the bar.”

“Again?” Amanda said “You’re there almost every night. Don’t you think you should be focusing on your schoolwork? You want to get a good job don’t you?”

“Well yea, but I don’t even know what I want to do with my life. And anyways getting a job is a long time away from now.” June answered.

“Don’t you care though?” Amanda asked

“Care about what?”

“About doing something with your life and getting somewhere with your life. Why don’t you try harder?”

“You know, Amanda. Not all of us can be like you. I don’t know what I want to do, like you did. I’m not you, Amanda.” June said

“Come on June. You got to get it together. I don’t want to see you fall through the cracks. And if you keep heading the way you’re headed, you will.” June’s face went stern.

“Don’t tell me to get it together. You’re not the boss of me.” June stormed out of Amanda’s house. She got into her car and drove back to her apartment. June turned off the lights in her room and laid on her bed for hours. She didn’t want to go anywhere. She didn’t want to see anyone. She shut her eyes. RING! RING! RING! It was the phone. She fumbled for it in the darkness. Finally, her fingers made their way to the telephone.

“Hello.” She said.

“June it’s me. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pushed you like that. I just don’t want you to feel like your all al-”

“I don’t want to talk about it, Amanda.” She hung up the phone before Amanda could say another word.

A new routine continued for the next week. June woke up, got dressed, and ate breakfast by herself. Each day, Amanda would call trying to apologize but June wouldn’t pick up. She let the message machine get the messages. Everyday, when she got home, there would be multiple messages saying the same thing:

“June, it’s me. I’m sorry June. I don’t want to go on like this. Please forgive me. I want to be friends again. Call me June. I miss you.” June never returned any of the calls.


* * *

June opened her door into her apartment. Her hair swung out behind her as it caught the last breezes of the air before she shut the door. She walked to the message machine expecting the same messages. She clicked the button to hear the messages. BEEP!

“Hello, this is Leslie from the Hanson hospital. I’m calling concerning Amanda and Mike Richford. They were brought in about an hour ago from a car accident they were in. We would like you to come down as soon as you get this message. Thank you.”

“Oh, no.” She said aloud. She grabbed her keys and sped to the hospital. Afraid that she was too late. She ran into the hospital, and ran to the check-in counter.”

“Hello.” The woman at the desk said to June.

“Where are they?” June yelled.

“Calm down, ma’am. Now, who are you looking for?”

“Amanda and Mike Richford. Tell me where they are.” The woman checked the files.
“Can I have your name ma’am? I’m afraid I can only disclose that information to family members.” June shut her eyes. She wouldn’t be able to see them. She wasn’t family.

“Ma’am?”

“Right, June Larson.”

“Aah, yes. It says here you’re sisters.” June felt a sensation rise up in her body; Amanda considered them sisters.

“Alright, they’re in Room CW4. Go down this hallway, make a left, another left, and then a right.” June knew that was bad. “CW” standed for critical ward. They were in bad condition- if they were alive at all.

“Thank you.” When June reached the room, she merely stood in the hallway peering in. She saw Amanda. Mike was no where to be found. Amanda was wrapped in bandages from head to foot. A doctor was in there with her. He was examining her. She leaned against the door, staring at the wall. She took a deep breath, time to go in she thought. She turned around. Her hand gripped the doorknob, but it slipped from her sweat. With much attempt, she finally managed to open the door. June walked up to the doctor.

“Is she okay?” The doctor looked at her and said nothing.

“Oh no, no, no. Is she…”
“Not yet. But it’s coming to the end. I’m sorry. I don’t think she’s going to make it.”

“No, that can’t be true.” Her eyes filled with tears.
“Amanda….” She ran over to her “Amanda…talk to me, look at me. You’re going to make it.” She stopped.

“What about Mike? Is he…” The doctor nodded.

“He died instantly.”
“Oh no.” She stared at her best friend. She didn’t even look like the same person. Her eyes and mouth were swollen, there was blood all over her face. She looked like a ghost.

“Amanda…Don’t leave me. I’m so sorry I was mad at you. If you wake up, I promise, I swear, I’ll get it together. Just wake up. Please, wake up.” But it was no use. The next moment she heard the heart monitor go out. She was gone.

“NOOOOO! NOOOOO!” she screamed. “NOOOO!” The doctor left June in her anguish. June laid her head against Amanda’s body. Filling the bandages with her tears.

“Amanda… how could you leave me?” June laid down with Amanda in the hospital bed. She cried into Amanda. Knowing this would be the last time she would ever see her and the last moments she would ever have with her, even if she was dead. In a few minutes the nurses will bring Amanda out of the room and she will have to say her last goodbyes to her. She will have to depart from her best friend…her sister. And the worst part was that the last time they had spoken, June had gotten mad at her and refused to talk. How could I be so stupid, she thought, How could I have gotten mad when all she
was trying to do was help me? And she will never know how sorry I am for being mad at her because… “She’s dead,” she yelled aloud. June stopped. She laid their, clutching Amanda’s dead body. All she did was cry.
* * *
The doctor told her to go home, but how was she supposed to go home when her best friend had just died? She laid on the ground in the hospital and thought about Amanda. She thought about all their time together. She remembered that the first time
they met each other was at an ice cream parlor. June’s brother, Paul, then nineteen had taken her there for her fifteenth birthday. Amanda and Paul were in the same year and when he saw here there he introduced them. They had been best friends ever since. She remembered when Amanda got married to Mike, at the age of 23. June was her maid of honor. Amanda’s dress was extravagant. It was white with ruffles, it reached down past her toes, and it was puffy like Cinderella’s dress. She remembered when Amanda had Amber. She remembered when she fought with Amanda. And now, she remembered when she died. Another memory, to put into her collection. One that she wishes she could return. June started crying again. Her tears fell on the floor, swarming around her. She laid there crying for hours.

It had been a week since Mike and Amanda’s death and June was trying to come to grips that they were really dead. She felt as if they were still alive. She just couldn’t understand that they weren’t coming back. She had decided to revisit the bar. For the past week, all of June’s stress had been building up inside of her, ready to burst, and this
would be the only thing that would relieve her of it. She hadn’t been there in a whole week. This was a record for her. June sat in her favorite stool.

“Hey June.” Mike said.

“Hi Mike.” She said. “My usual please.”

“Sure thing, June. You okay?” She didn’t want to go into detail. So she lied.

“Yea...I’m fine.” She only had two drinks. It was a bad idea to come here, she thought. It didn’t help at all. She just wanted to go home. As Mike was bringing her third drink she got up and left.



“Hey, June, where are you going?” she didn’t reply. She walked out of the bar and returned home. As she walked into her apartment, the phone rang.

“Hello.” June said.

“Hello, is this June Larson?” a voice said.

“Yes, this is June.”

“Hi, June. My name is Richard McKinlee. I was Mike and Amanda Richford’s lawyer. I need you to come in to my office. We need to discuss their will.”

“Their will?” June asked, “I was unaware they had one. I wouldn’t even know where it would be.”

“Yes, I figured that Miss Larson. I believe their will is somewhere in their home. I have to ask you to find it.” June felt a pain rise up her back. She was going to have to go in their house. All of their memories are in that house, she did not want to be reminded of them.

“Alright.” She practically whispered. “I will look for it.”

“Excellent. Thanks, Miss Larson. Come in tomorrow to discuss it. Good-bye.” The phone went dead and June put the phone back to the receiver. Amber walked into the room.

“Aunt June, who was that?” she asked. Amber had been staying with June for the past week until they could find someone to take her in. Amber was unaware that she would never see her parents again. June knew she had to tell her at some point. She just didn’t know how. How was she supposed to tell a three-year old her parents were dead?


“No one, honey. Don’t worry about it.” Amber nodded and went back to playing with her Barbie’s.



* * *


It was time for June to return to the house. She didn’t bring Amber. June didn’t want Amber to come back in there. For if Amber did return to this haunted place, she would never be able to leave. Although Amber loved being with June, June could tell Amber preferred being with her parents. June closed her eyes as she gained her courage to open the door. The once happy and joyful house now felt haunted. She walked through the house wondering where Amanda and Mike would have kept a will. She checked everywhere. The kitchen, the bedroom, the living room, the dining room, and the family room. There was only one room left she hadn’t checked. Amber’s room. She walked in, dolls were all around her room. The walls were pink, covered with princess stencils. She opened the drawer. She dug through it and sure enough she found the will. She didn’t open it. She didn’t want to know what it said.

The next day, June walked into Richard McKinlee’s office, the will in her hand. She walked up to the receptionist.

“Can I help you?” she asked.

“I’m June Larson. I have an appointment with Mr. McKinlee.”

“Alright, right this way, Miss Larson.”

“Mr. McKinlee, your three o’clock appointment.” Richard McKinlee peered up from his newspaper.

“Ah, yes. Miss Larson, come in, come in.” She stepped forward. “Please sit.” He pointed to the chair across from his desk. June looked at him, his hair was short and gray, he wore large, circular glasses, and he wore a tan sweater vest.

“Do you have the will?” She slid it to him. He opened it up.

“Let’s see what we have here, shall we?” he said.

“Now, let’s see. It says, ‘If in the event we, Michael and Amanda Richford, die we give full custody of our daughter, Amber Richford, to June Larson.’” June’s face went blank. She couldn’t believe it. How could they give her Amber to take care of? They knew she wouldn’t be able to do it. June couldn’t take care of a child. She could barely take care of herself.

“Are you sure that’s right?” she barely stuttered out. “Did you read that right? Are you sure that’s what they meant?”

“Miss Larson, I was there when they wrote it. I can assure you that this is what they wanted.”

“But, I can’t take care of a child. I mean, I love Amber but I can’t take care of her. I don’t even know how. That was Amanda’s job!”

“I’m sorry, Miss Larson. They wanted you to take care of her. Now, if you choose to or not that’s up to you.”
“And what if I say no?”

“She’ll go into foster care. She’s still young, so there’s a chance that she’ll find a family to adopt her. But we can’t know for sure.”

“Oh no.” She said. She couldn’t say no to that.

“I’m going to have to take care of her. I don’t even know how I’m going to manage it. I’m still in college.”



“Miss Larson, I don’t mean to push you out but I have a 3:30 appointment.”

“Of course.” June stepped out of his office and quickly left the building. She drove home aimlessly, not paying attention to the road, she was thinking of taking care of Amber. She had never expected this would happen to her. Not that she was mad. She just didn’t think it was the best decision. She parked in her driveway and went into her house. Amber was sitting in the living room watching television with the neighbor, Haley, who June asked to watch Amber.

“Hey Amber,” June said sadly, “Thanks Haley, for watching Amber for me.”

“No problem. Anytime.” She replied as she put her chocolate brown coat on. “See ya June.”

“Bye, Haley. Thanks again.” As Haley walked away, June slowly closed the door, wondering if she was true in saying she would watch her anytime. June walked back into the living room, and took a seat next to Amber on the couch.

“Aunt June…”

“Yea Baby.” June replied.

“When are Mommy and Daddy coming home?” June closed her eyes. She had to tell her the truth.

“Amber, I’m going to tell you something. You’re going to cry and it’s okay because I cried too.”

“What?”

“Amber, mommy and daddy aren’t going to come home.” Her baby blue eyes searched into June’s emerald ones.

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“Honey, remember that day last week where Haley was suddenly sent over to watch you after Mommy and Daddy went out to run some errands?” She didn’t wait for a reply. “That night Mommy and Daddy got into an accident.” Amber was confused; she didn’t understand what June was trying to say.

“Amber, mommy and daddy died. They are not coming back. They’re gone, honey. You’re going to be staying with me.”

“Gone?” she asked. She didn’t need a reply, she understood…Tears started to fall down her face. Amber leaned against June as she cried. June rocked her back and forth.

“It’s going to be okay.” She said, as if it was more to convince herself than Amber. “It’s going to be okay.”

The alarm clock woke June up at 9: 00 AM. She had a 10:00 class that she had to go to. She got dressed and went downstairs, making her breakfast quietly not wanting to wake Amber. She munched on a chewy chocolate granola bar. Haley was going to watch
Amber for the day. It seemed like Haley was going to make a regular appearance in this house. When Haley came by, June was able to leave and she just made it in time to her English class.

When class was over, she stopped at the bar. She needed another stress reliever.

“Hey Mike,” June said “Just give me my usual.”

“Sure June.” She drank her drink. She felt it slide down her throat. She felt the familiar tangy feeling that the drink gave off. It was comforting to have something in her life that hadn’t changed. She drank, and drank, and drank. She danced for hours.

“Give me another one, Mike.” She screamed. It was like the old days before any of it happened.

“Sure thing, June.” He re-filled her drink for the sixth time.

“Your gonna have to leave soon, though. It’s ten minutes to twelve. Were closing up soon.”

“Okay.” She answered, as if she didn’t have a care in the world. Eventually, she was forced out and she headed home. When she got in, all the rooms were dark except the living room. Haley was in the living room watching the twelve o’clock news.

“Hey” June said.

“Hi, June.”

“Where’s Amber?” June asked Haley

“She’s sleeping. I put her to bed a while ago.”

“Thanks. Hey can you baby sit again tomorrow?”

“Sure, June. Same time?”
“Yea, thanks. Well, goodnight and thanks for watching Amber.”

“No problem. See you tomorrow.” Haley let herself out as June walked up to her room. Amber was asleep in June’s bed, since there was only one bed and one room, they had to share it. June curled up on her side of the bed and fell into a dreamless sleep. The next day, Haley came to watch Amber as June went to class and then, as usual, to the bar
where she drank endless amounts of drinks. When she returned it was nearly past midnight and Haley was about to fall asleep.

After a week of this pattern, June returned home from a night at the bar when one night Haley said:

“June, if you are going to be this way I can’t baby sit Amber anymore. You come home too late and you don’t spend anytime with Amber. She missies her parents and she really needs someone right now.”

“No, Haley please don’t leave. I need you. I need someone to watch Amber as I go to school.”

“You mean as you go to the bar.” Haley said

“No,” she exclaimed “that’s not what I mean at all.”

“I’m sorry June, I can’t work for you anymore. I can’t let you go on like this. It’s not fair to Amber. She deserves someone who will take care of her and you are definitely not. You’ve got to get it together. ” Haley walked out of the apartment without another word. June started to cry. She couldn’t do it. She didn’t know how to do it.

“I can’t do this,” she said to herself. “I can’t do this. I don’t have a babysitter, I don’t have a job, I don’t have a career, and I’m not even taking any classes that will get me a career.” And above all she knew Haley was right. She needed to get it together. Those words were all too familiar. It was the same words that Amanda had said to her. You’ve got to get it together. It was like a ghost. It replayed in her mind like a movie that couldn’t stop rewinding. She needed to get it together. She needed to become a better person, she owed it to Amber, she owed it to Amanda, and she owed it to herself.

The next day, June went to the enrollment office at the college and changed her schedule. She changed her classes to ones that would actually give her a career. She chose to go into journalism. It was a career that stood out above the others so she figured she should follow it. She was unsure of what she was going to do with Amber during her classes.

“Is it possible Amber could come with me to my classes?” June asked.

“It might be,” the worker answered, “but you would have to take it up with the professors. It would depend on how they feel on the matter. If it doesn’t work out, we do offer a daycare you can use during the time of your classes.”

“Really? I didn’t know that the college had a daycare. That’s great!” The next day, June explained to Amber that she was going to be going to the daycare at the college while June went to her classes.

“Now you can take whatever toys you want in order to keep you entertained. So when you’re done with breakfast, you can decide what you want to bring. As soon as my classes are over, I will come pick you up. I promise.” This was a promise she was determined to keep. June was determined not to revisit the bar. When they were ready to go, June put Amber in the car seat Amanda had used and they drove to the college.

“Okay, Amber we’re here.” June said. She opened Amber’s door as she swung her backpack across her shoulder. June clutched Amber’s hand.

When the day was finally over, June headed home with Amber. Within minutes of getting in the car, Amber’s eyes began to shut. She yawned and laid her head against the back of the car. The day had worn her out. When June returned home, she put Amber in bed so she could continue the nap. She went down to the kitchen prepared to get something to eat. As she was fumbling through the drawers she noticed the pile of bills stacked up on the aluminum countertop. Uugh, she groaned. She knew she was going to have to get a job. She had been able to get by for the past few weeks with Amber, using the money she had saved up over the years, but it was going to run out. She knew she was going to have to find something while she was in college. Then she had an idea. She remembered Amanda had once told her about working as a receptionist at her law firm. At that point in time June was not serious about working and she had turned it down. She wondered, though, if it was possible if she could still work there. She knew she didn’t have a background in law but if she was offered the job back then, why wouldn’t she be offered the job now? June searched her bag for the card that Amanda had given her of Amanda’s boss. She finally found it. She dialed the number. Hoping this was going to work.

“Hello, Brewster and Sons Law Firm. How can I help you?”

“Yes, my name is June Larson. I am a very good friend of a former employee of yours- Amanda Richford.”

“Yes?” The woman’s tone sounded confused.

“A long time ago Amanda talked to me about possibly working as a receptionist at the firm. I was wondering if it is still open.”

“I see. I’m going to ask you to hold for a minute. I need to reach Amanda’s boss, Mr. Freddrick.”

“Okay.” June was on hold for what felt like an hour.

“Hello…June?” A voice said.
“Yes, this is June.”

“Hi June, I’m Hillard Freddrick. I am…was Amanda’s boss. Let me start by saying I’m so sorry for the loss. Amanda was a great part of this company. We miss her dearly. Now I hear your interested in a job here at Brewster and Sons. The job is currently still open and I would be glad to offer you the position.”
“Oh my. How can I ever thank you?”

“No need required. It is the least we could do. Amanda was a great employee here. Now I just have a few questions. Would you be working as a part or fulltime receptionist?”

“Umm…part-time. I am currently in college right now so I can’t work-full time.”

“Alright, can you start Monday?” Mr. Freddrick asked

“Sounds good. Thank you so much, Mr. Freddrick.”

“Sure…sure.” June hung up the phone. Maybe things will work out, she thought. Just maybe things will work out.

DING! DING! DING! Amber jumped out of her seat, her butterfly backpack gliding on her shoulder. Her dark, curly black hair reached to the middle of the backpack. She stepped outside looking for Aunt June’s car. Finally, she saw the red minivan in the middle of the long line of cars. Amber ran over to the car. She opened up the door. The sun hit Aunt June’s face like a rainbow after a rainstorm.


“Hey, Aunt June.”

“Hey Amber. How was your day today?”

“Good.” She answered. Amber was now eight years old and in the third grade. June was twenty-nine and had graduated from college last year. She was currently working for an online journalism company. Because it was online, she was able to work from home. Amber ran into the house. June followed behind her. A lot of things in her life had changed since the death of her two friends. The death of Amanda and Mike made her change for the better and although she thought it never would have been possible, she found out who and what she wanted to be. She found herself. She got her life together and she was proud to say she hadn’t touched a drink in four and a half years. If the event had never happened, though, she doubted if she would have ever changed. Their death and the event of taking in Amber had been her wake up call. She probably would have fallen through the cracks. Deeper and deeper each day. In a way, not only Amanda but Amber saved her, too. And for that, she was grateful.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.