The Case of Annette Valdwin | Teen Ink

The Case of Annette Valdwin

By 20polleyK, Republic, Missouri
20polleyK, Republic, Missouri

The year is 1885 and we’re here at the Valdwin estate in the garden where little Annette valdwin has just discovered that she has a problem with...killing things

“ wait so you're telling me when she was a little girl she was killing thing” said a women with white hair and ocean blue eye wearing a yellow and brown plaid button-up vest a white shirt and a matching skirt.

“ Oh c’mon Hadie let him finish the story”another woman with long dark brown hair and electric pink eyes wearing a lab coat a light pink shirt and a black pencil skirt.

“ Can I finish now, and it’s not a story Katherine, it’s a case file” the man tells the ‘story’ is a man with dark turquoise hair and dark blue eyes wearing a navy blue plaid vest and a navy blue coat and matching pants and hat.

“ Well i think that enough information anyways Lynn.” Hadie said with a tinge of anger, Lynn set down the case files that they were heading off to see if they could locate miss, Annette Valdwin, and picked up today’s papers this just in from the Scotland yards the has been a mass murder at a ball Lynn perked up and chuckled.

“ Grab your thinks we got a case!”, as they got to the scene there was blood almost everywhere but what caught their attention was all the girls lips where missing.

“that’s a little disturbing” the disgusted detective said “I think it’s cruel and unusual punishment” Hadie huffed.

“ Well well what do have here” Katherine said popping out of nowhere and making Hadie jump “geez, can you not do that” as Hadie calmed her nerves Katherine grabbed a bag and put all the evidence in it and Lynn investigated the crime scene.

“ Now what do we have here” Lynn picked up a little note on a small sheet with little drops of blood on it of paper and took it to Katherine.

“ Hello hello” she greeted in a joyful tone “ I have a gift for you my dear” Lynn said handing her the bagged note “ my, my i can take the blood and you can give miss Hadie the note” and with that Hadie took her last needed photo and they made their way back to their estate.  

Later that day Hadie was analyzing the note and the other pictures from the crime scene “dang, with no other evidence I can’t get a lead on who it is, maybe Katherine has something for me” as Hadie my her way over to the lab, Lynn was looking over the case for the hundredth time.

“ Ugh!, i can’t find anything Suddenly, a loud crash came from what seemed like the basement. Lynn quickly grabbed his gun and ran as fast as he could downstairs but stopped when he was just around the corner because the lights went out.

“ Lynn, what’s going on!” the short white haired female exclaimed in a worried tone.

“ Calm down Hadie, the power went out, I need you to light some candles so we can see around here” Lynn calmly explained to snow what to do.

“ Guys...help” small voice coming from the lab was herd.

“Was that Katherine?” Lynn questioned.

“ Guy~, I need help my door is locked~” the scientist wined from across the house.

“ And try to find a key to get her out” Lynn gave snow a set of instruction to do while he figured out what in the world was going on.

While snow ran around the house like a chicken with their head cut off, Lynn quickly grabbed a candle and went down to the basement to find out what unexpected wreck was, then all of a sudden something zoomed past him something tall and that smells like blood and garbage but that smell was soon gone so he walked over to the power box and switched on the lights but he looked back to where the intruder passed him but he was gone, Lynn noticed some blood droplets in the corner near the stairs.

“Interesting, I’ll have Katherine look at it, maybe she can find our intruder.”

Right as Lynn said that Katherine popped up behind him.

“Would you looky here, if you don’t mind I’ll be taking that for testing” Katherine saying in a joyful tone and scaring Lynn at the same time.

“ Geez!, I think I just lost my soul for a moment” he said still try to find sanity.

“ Oh, Hadie has something for you by the way.” Katherine skipped away happily with her sample.

While Katherine was testing samples Lynn is having a very interesting conversation with Hadie.

“ Now look at this photo” snow rushed over to the board pointing at a photo of the ballroom floor from a birds-eye view.

“ Okay, what am i looking at” Lynn's body shifted as confusion flowed through his head.

“ There right there, the other half of the note” Hadie explained in a slightly angry tone in her voice

“ How do you know that” Lynn questioned her still confused

“ Because this was the last photo I took after you picked up that note so the only thing that I can think of it that, that’s the other half of this note” Hadie exclaimed now slowly starting to get mad.

“ Okay, calm down we’ll go back to the scene if the crime maybe it’s still there” as Lynn tried to calm her down Katherine finally got a lead on something.

“ Oh my shining stars, I found our intruder and our killer how interesting.” Katherine grinned widely with a twinkle in her eye and ran off to the others to give them the good news.

“I’m sorry Hadie I wi-” Lynn was cut off by a screaming mad scientist running down the hall.

“ Guy, I found our killer!” she shouted like a maniac running down the stars in the front of the mansion flinging the result papers that were in her hands.

“ If I didn’t know her, i’d think she was the killer” Hadie implied with an emotionless face Lynn agreed with Hadie.

“ yes, but on the good news, Katherine, who is our mystery person” Lynn said as if he was on the edge of his seat “hold your pants on Lynn because our killer is-”

And all of a sudden everything went black the only voice I could hear was my partners shouting my name in a very worried tone “ Katherine!….Katherine!” I can hear Hadie shouting my name but she sounds like she’s crying but why  

as Katherine slowly wake up she finally realized why she was crying,she had a bandage wrapped around her head and a cast wrapped around her arm “ what…what happened to me?” she question, snow stared at her in surprise.

“ Your wake, I thought you would never wake up” Hadie-choked on the last few of her words and started to cry again “ you’ve been out for three days Katherine”  

three days...what about the killer! “ did you find the killer?” Katherine spoke up in a quiet voice.

“ Yes we did but, they were not linked to Annette but at least we solved a case a saved London”.

Geez, three days… I can see why she was so worried about me Lynn spoke up pulling Katherine out of her thoughts.

“The doctor said you’ll have to stay in bed for a while, so you can’t do any work until they say your free to go” Lynn calmly explained to her Katherine nodded her head in agreement.

Katherine put her head down when they closed the door and started thinking, thinking about how she could have prevented this, about how they would have caught him a day or two earlier, thinking about her own family the that she never knew. All of a sudden the door opened and it came to Hadie, her pale face was still puffy and red with tear stains on her cheeks her curly white hair in a messy bun, and her ocean blue eye staring at the floor.

“What’s wrong Hadie?” Katherine asked in a soft voice.

“I-” she cut herself off and walked over to Katherine and gave her a hug .

“ I’m sorry” she cried into her shoulder.

“ Don’t be sorry, from my knowledge, I know that you had nothing to  don’t with it, so why are you to be sorry Hadie” she calmly explained to her as if it were her own child crying.

“ Well it’s just I feel bad for you, because you don’t even know what happened and I made you think that it’s all your fault because you made me worry , so I'm sorry” Hadie cried a little more as Katherine held her and rubbed her back calming her down.

Later that day Lynn came in to the room trying to find hadie.

“ Hadie i-” he was cut off from seeing Hadie and Katherine sleeping together with Hadie in Katherine's arms as if she was protecting her from a monster.

“ Awe, now isn’t that a beautiful sight to see” Lynn whispered and slowly walked out shutting the door behind him ending the long week of drama and excitement.

The next day Lynn slugged his way out of bed and into the bathroom to get ready meanwhile in the girls room Hadie woke up first to peaceful sleeping Katherine behind her with her arm wrapped around her torso protectively wow I never knew someone so crazy could be so peaceful and protective, Hadie was pulled out of her thought when Katherine started to wake up her electric pink eyes were almost seductive like but that just might be because there pink, either way hadie was in a trance until Katherine spoke up in a soft yet slightly raspy voice.

“ Is there something wrong Hadie?” Katherine questioned and propped her arm up with her head resting on her hand.

Hadie was at a lost for words, she had no idea what to say to her all she could do was stare at her beauty only to be interrupted by Lynn walking in on them.

“ Well good morning!, I hope you two slept well! breakfast is ready by the way. Lynn said in a happy tone smiling at them.

“ Oh ok, I’ll be down in a little, I just need to get ready” Hadie shakily got out of bed from being nervous, geez why do, I feel like this I don’t understand?!?  Hadie’s thoughts were interrupted by her not watching where she was going and ran into the door.

“ Ow…” she rubbed her head and headed to her room to get ready.

Sometime during the rainy afternoon, Hadie and Lynn got a new case that may be attached to Annette, but it’s going to be a little harder since Katherine can’t work because of what happened to her.

“ Ugh! this would be a lot easier with Katherine here I can’t find anything in these photos!” Hadie complained for the fifth time today.

“ I completely agree with you Hadie, i would be alot easier and faster if she was okay.” as Lynn and Hadie went on with there work there was a knock at the door and lynn got out of his chair to see who it was,as he opened the door it was a man with blonde hair and electric pink eyes just like Katherine’s

“Good afternoon sir, what bring you to our estate this rainy day?” lynn question with a smile on his face.

“ Is Katherine peterson available at the moment?” the man was soft spoken almost whisper like

“I’m sorry but she’s not in a good condition to be walking around right now, might i ask who you are, sir.” Lynn said with a serious tone in his voice

“ Ah, yes please forgive me, but you see, i can’t give you that information” the soft spoken man said with a smile.

“ Than i'm sorry, but your not allowed to see her, good day to you sir” Lynn wa just about to close the door when the man slammed his pale hand on to the door.

“ Oh, please it will only take a second” the random man spoke with a creepy grin Hadie went to his office and grabbed his gun quickly yet quietly made her way back down stairs and slyly haned his the gun.

“I’m sorry sir, but without any information on who you are and how you know her you can not see her” Lynn furrowed his eyebrows and  clutched his gun, Hadie made her way over to the phone on the wall and dialed the police.

‘Hello?” Hadie heard the policeman on the other side of the phone.

“ hello, yeah this is Hadie Rosebell, we have a man here at our estate claiming to know Katherine peterson and now he is trying to force his way in” Hadie said scardly to the officer

“ Don’t worry ma’am help is on the way” the officer explained to her than she hung up the phone than went to Katherine’s room to inform her on what is going on, Hadie was hesitant to knock at her door but found the courage to knock anyways.

“ Come in” Hadie jumped a little when she heard katherine call through the door because of what was happening down stairs she walked in slowly and nervously

“ Hey, um, there  is someone down stairs claiming to know you but he never gave us a name so lynn is trying to get in to leave and it’s not going so well and the cops are on their way here.” Hadie says quickly and nervously.

Katherine looked at her in confusion the only people i know of  is Hadie and Lynn so who could it be? Katherine was pulled out of her thoughts by Hadie waving her hand in front of her

“ Are you okay, you were just stair, you looked confused?” Hadie questioned her Katherine just stared at her for a while before responding to her question

“ Ah, yes i’m fine, i was just trying to figure out who it could be” right as Katherine got done talking a loud bang came from downstairs but it all made sense once the cops started to yell, Hadie went down to check out what was going on.

When she got down stairs Lynn was talking to one of the policemen and the other were taking the man out of the manor Hadie walked down the stairs to see if she could get more information but the officer taking to Lynn spoke up before she could even get a word out  

“ Excuse me miss, but are you the one who called in?” the officer asked her Hadie spoke up quietly.

“Yes i am, if it’s okay, why must you ask?” Hadie quietly asked the officer she pulled down her sleeves a bit from being shaken up from the event

The officer gladly obliged to answering her question  “ we’re just try to find out who is who considering there are two girls in this manor”  he kindly smiled at her which calmed her nerves down a bit

Later that night lynn, Katherine and Hadie where all talking having a cup of hot chocolate and relaxing, but the question still remains where is annette valdwin, how did her condition become, and how can we find her. But i guess you will have to find out next time.