The Big Game | Teen Ink

The Big Game

March 26, 2018
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I'm inspired by Michael Jordan and his journey in the NBA. So I decided to write about his way to the NBA and be in his dream.

Michael is playing basketball in the dusty, old indoor court in his town. He is with Kevin, Russell, and Jimmy. They all dressed up in their sporty uniforms, preparing for a competitive game. Michael is ready for the game, ready to dominate against the other team. Michael grips the ball and does his pre-game routine, practicing his shots from the free-throw line. He misses, but still determined to score and lead the team to victory.

Now it’s game time. Michael, Russel, Kevin and Jimmy on a team. Michael bolts to the line. His bald head shining from the lights as he passes them. They each line up to see who gets the ball first. Michael lines up followed by Jimmy and the rest.

The players all chant,”Good luck!”

Michael is defending the player in the jersey number 27. This player is given the ball and he immediately went for a crossover and gets an easy dunk. Michael is furious.

It’s the third quarter. Michael is doubtful, believing he can’t be an NBA player. He can’t be like the professionals on the clean painted, wooden floor. Michael is sprinting, trying every move and trick that his coach taught him. It just didn’t work. Michael is becoming weaker by every minute. There’s still 2 minutes left in the third quarter, the game isn’t finished yet.

The crowd gives a large “boo…” at every time Michael has the ball.

Michael is beginning to think he could walk off the court and throw his jersey in the trash can. He didn’t want to play. Who knows, there could be an agent waiting to assist any player the agent believes is worthy. Michael doesn’t deserve an agent to get him on a NBA roster.

Michael has the ball once again in the last 30 seconds of the game. Michael decides to drive to the hoop and score points for his team. Except he lacks of skill. This is like racing against Usain Bolt and a snail. The snail would lose horribly like Michael and his team. Michael has many turnovers to count how many he has. Maybe 5, maybe 8, or maybe 100. He misses the lay-up and leads them to the first loss in the playoffs.

Michael screams,” How did we not score any points! We suck!”

Michael is enraged. His team score 0 points the whole game. Michael realized, he hadn’t practiced basketball or even tried perfecting his shots and his layups. Michael knows this isn’t game over. He still had another game to play. This game means everything. If he loses his team doesn’t progress any further, and if he wins there’s still a chance of winning the playoffs.

He has no more games scheduled for later this afternoon. He could either sit back and relax or practice. He came to the decision to practice before his next game tomorrow. He grabbed the ball from his pile of things in the corner of the garage. He went out to the driveway and began to practice on his miniature sized court. He once again wasn’t hitting his shots perfect. He was out there from late night to early morning. It’s game time.

So now he’s on the same court doing the same pre-game routine. Standing behind the free-throw line and counting out how many shots he make. He is 2 for 10, still higher than the last game.

Michael gives his team a chant,” I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!”

The players shout this to each other. He lines up on the half-court line as the referee throws the ball into the air and the players fight for the ball. His team has possession of the ball. The person on his team passes Michael the ball and he tries to get open enough to get a shot. He gets open and shoots. SWISH, he made it. The crowd is angry on one side and excited on the other. Michael feels like a phone on a charger. This could be his best game.

Well, that didn’t happen. It’s the start to the second quarter and Michael has turnovers, the usual. His team may not be a scoring team or a keeping the ball team, but maybe a rebounding team. The other team had at least seven offensive rebounds. Well maybe a stealing team. Not that either.

Michael whispered,”How?”

Michael didn’t understand, his team seemed like they had just started playing basketball. Michael’s been playing all through high-school, but he still wasn’t good. He just could manage to do the tricks like the professionals. The rebounding, stealing, scoring and everything was just not him. Will he ever be able to touch the tiniest splinter on a NBA court?

He doubted it, same with everyone at school. Same with the entire city of Wilmington. Even the whole state of North Carolina and maybe the whole world that knew his name. He was on the news back in high-school for being the worst player to play in the roster in 11th grade. He’s not a basketball player.

He might be like one of those people that never turn off the TV or only use technology. One of those people that like to sit on the couch and slowly decay. He just couldn’t even manage how him or any of his teammates actually could make the team. Does it require skill to be on a team? Teams require cooperation, participation, hard work, and teamwork.

Michael says,” We need to cooperate, be a team, and we need to work hard!”

Michael's team was only up by two points, and Michael still has the same amount of points he scored earlier in the game. It’s the last quarter and if they lose they will go home sad they didn’t win the game. They can win this game.

Michael is trying, sprinting beyond his limit. He felt like the Flash sprinting down the court to block a lay-up. He tipped the ball, but it didn’t help the team from missing a lay-up. Michael is embarrassed, he just tipped the ball and did all of that for nothing. Now the game is tied with 23 seconds on the clock. The same number as the number printed on his jersey.

The other team had made, yet another two pointer. This causing Michael’s team to lose by two points. There’s still time left, so Michael is passed the ball and he charges with all his force down the court. He went for a wide open dunk and he scored with almost no time left. In the 2.1 seconds left Michael is doing something unbelievable. He stopped the pass to the point-guard and had another two pointer. He won the game.

His team screams,” We did it!”

His team cheered on the hero, Micheal, for leading his team to the championship game. The game that determines who will take home first place. Michael had dragged the attention to a sports agent, David Falk.

David walked over to Michael and says, “Michael I’d like to be your agent. I could help you be on the court with all the professionals in the league if you hire me. Do you want me to be your agent?” Michael replies, “Thanks, but I have another game. Let me show you what I can do,”

Micheal needed time to prepare for his next game. Instead of spending hours in the snack line, he decided to work on his ball handling and other things he needs for the big game. It was now or never.

Michael caught his team eating pizza in the corner behind the bleachers. He smacked the pizza out of one person’s hand.

He protests, “If we eat and don’t prepare for this game, we will go home. Would you like to be second? Not have a win ever in your lifetime. This is our chance to win and take home the trophy with us if we work together. Together as a team.”

This caught everyone’s attention, even the audience watching the game was left dumbfounded. They were surprised they haven’t realised practicing and teamwork can lead to success. Michael had just learned after the game they won. The players throw away their pizza and begin practicing for the final game.

This is it the final game, the big game that determines who takes with them the shiny, gold trophy. The players are in their half of the court practicing hard before the final game. Michael is planning to try much harder and use his team when he needs to. Michael hustles down the court and goes for a flashy layup. This isn’t necessary, but if he needs to do this atleast he knows he can. His team spent all the eight minutes working hard, and practicing on their teamwork. Michael stands short beside his opponent. Being this close, Michael jumped to conclusions, that all the opponents are much taller.

Michael gasps,” Oh no,”

The other team could easily get rebounds, and anything that requires height. Even pick a juicy, red apple from the very tip of the tree. This could not be good.

Michael watches in disbelief as the other team jumps and brings the ball down the court. They didn’t even look at a defender just the point guard sprints, goes for a euro-step, and then BAM he dunked the ball. Michael didn’t realise he’d been standing frozen in this spot for a while. He watched as his team is losing horribly against the other team. This is it, they already are losing by 20 points and it’s only the end of the first quarter.

Michael mouthed out the words,” What will we do? What will this do?”

Pop says,” Alright, Michael since you knew what to do last game, what will we do?” Michael explains with confidence,” We will create a play nobody’s done to confuse them. We will screen all at the same time, right-to-left. This will create a lane for the player with the ball to either get a layup or pass to the open teammate. Then reset the offense,” Russell adds,” This means we need to be a team, we need to work hard, and even do what you’re not comfortable with. Explore outside your box,” They put their hands in the middle and chanted,” If you quit once it becomes a habit, never quit!”

The team got back into the game taking in what they just agreed to do. They all line up in a star fashion along the three point line. Michael brings down the ball and does his signal meaning to do the play. They each set a screen from right to left. This took the defender off of them. Michael passes the ball to Jimmy who shoots the ball. He made it.

If they can keep doing this play and vary it slightly this could have them win. Again the players set a screen, this time somebody came to screen Michael. He goes for the layup and makes it. Only losing by fifteen points.

Michael looks back down the court and sees nobody on his team down there. The oppenent with the ball was bolting to the hoop. Michael sprints down the court, the player jumps reaching for the hoop. Michael blocked him from scoring.

The crowd screams,” Let’s go Michael!”

Michael is happy, but he knows the game isn’t over. Halftime arrives, his team cheering on Michael. Michael told everyone on his team to keep doing what they are. This play Michael had thought of worked.

Michael hears the other coach say,” We need to play back on defense, they are easily getting open by setting a screen.”

Michael and his team had realised they will need to vary this play. Michael has the ball. This time his team screens diagonally and the person screened rolls in to the hoop. Once again, this worked. Over the next quarter they continued to score.

It’s the fourth quarter, his team only down by eight points. The other team is upset that Michael’s team is making the comeback. His team continues the play Michael brought up. They can’t stop scoring.

Now only down by two points, the other coach yells,” Press!”

Michael whispers,”Oh no,”

They all looked at each other, they will have to help the player with the ball. Michael has the ball and two defenders are on him. He looks through the gap and sees Jimmy is open. He passes the ball and Jimmy rolls to avoid getting the ball stolen. He’s wide open, he goes for a fastbreak and makes it.

With only one minute on the clock the game is getting intense. Michael noticed the press is done. He sees the clock has twenty seconds left and his team is winning by two points. While Michael stares at the clock he watched as the players he was supposed to defend shot a two pointer.

When his team passed in the ball it was stolen and another two points for the other team. They are tied. Michael has the ball and with only three seconds left he goes for a shot and he makes it during the buzzer going off. He made it! His team won!

His team chanted,” Michael! Michael! Michael!”

Michael had never been more amazed in his life. He is handed the frozen, gold trophy. He sees his reflection on the center of the basketball. Michael realised his teamwork and hard work is what caused his team to win. They are a team.

David Falk walks up to Michael and questions,” Can I be your agent now?”
Michael replies,”Yes!”

David Falk got him on a team, the Chicago Bulls. Michael lived up to his dream to be a NBA superstar. Michael is now retired and the principal owner of the Charlotte Hornets. He is also a chairman.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.