Not Yours | Teen Ink

Not Yours

Author's note:

A high school student trying their best. 

Thanks for reading. 

Once upon a time, there was a teenage boy named Alexander, who experienced many hardships in life. As a young child, he had lost his father in a car accident, his mother remarried a mean man who had forced him to work as if he was a maid, and then he lost his mother in a plane crash; forcing him to live alone with his step-father. At school, Alexander was well-known but tormented by the people who he called “friends”. They made fun of him in anyway possible, such as his hair, shoes, or clothes. Alex had always craved to do something about those toxic people in his life, but he did not know how what to do.
One day, when Alex was running late to school because his step-father wanted him to clean the house, he found a stunning black amulet on the side of the road. It was in the shape of a skull and had black diamonds as eyes. When Alex put on the amulet, feeling the cold metal against his skin, a bony finger poked him on his shoulder.
“Alexander Williams, please give me back what is mine.” A voice, sounding sweet and warm, called out to him. When Alex turned around, he was met with a boy around his age, looking deathly pale, bony, and short. The boy’s chocolate brown eyes were cold and calculating as they scanned Alex up and down.
“How do you know my name? Who are you?” Alex asked, slightly cautious.
“I am Death, I know all.” The boy spoke in the same warm voice but his tone sounded as if he was bored. “Give me back that amulet.” Alex felt mischievous and grinned.
“Why should I give this amulet back to you? Why might a mighty power such as yourself need a little old amulet like this one? Why is this amulet so important to Death?” Death frowned as he looked over at him, noting that the boy did not believe him.
Sighing, Death decided to tell Alex the truth in order to try and get him to hand over the amulet. “All supernatural beings have a stored part of their soul down in the mortal world, which if a mortal finds it, allows them to use our power in their favour. In order to stop the mortals from misusing our power, we must go out and collect our soul pieces.” Death gave Alex a look with something strange in his gaze.
“Having control over your power sounds great. Why on earth would I give the amulet back to you?”
“Fine, I will allow your control over my power but only if you follow my rules. Never lose sight of the amulet.  You take off the amulet and leave it unattended, I will take your soul. If you handover ownership to another, I take your soul. If by chance you run into another supernatural being’s soul and decide to take their power, you may not use my power also.”
Alex thought over the terms then smiled, “I agree.” He did not see the smirk Death had painted across his face.
Alex kept the amulet and decided to use it on his stepfather first. One day he told to Death, “I want you to end my step-father’s life.”
“May I inquire as to why you wish to do so?” Death asked, curious as to why his power was being used.
“He is cruel and uses his authority over me to do all his work. He does not work and makes me work in order to support the both of us.” Death nodded.
“Seems as if it is a good enough reason as to why you want me to reap him. It shall be done.” Later that day Alex received a call from school stating that his stepfather was involved in a tragic accident at the liquor store. Everything seemed calm for a while as Alex did not use Death’s power again. A week after his stepfather’s death, Alex came fuming to Death.
“Please reap the people who are my so called friends.” Death once again was curious as to why his power was being used.
“May I ask as to why you are using my power for? Why do you wish to use my power for your needs?”
“I wish to rid the school of these bullies. I do not want anyone to suffer under them like I did. I want to gain their leadership over the school and make everyone welcomed.” Alex answered. Death was pleased by his answer.
“Very well, it is a good enough reason to why you want me to reap their souls.” Death told him, promising to carry out his demand. Later that week, Alex’s school held a memorial for the death of multiple students. Alex quickly took over their spot and became well-liked by all. He became in charge of his friend group, making him crave attention. He began to do many crazy things at school in order to gain more popularity and doing whatever it took to stay popular. Death noticed how slowly Alex was losing his mind and was concerned for how his power would be used.
One day Alex met a girl who he quickly fell in love with, but as he went to confess to the girl, she told him that she loved another. Enraged by the news, Alex demanded for the boy’s death. “I want him dead! He is taking what is mine!” Death was curious once again and once more he asked for an explanation. “That boy is stealing the love of my life away from me! He doesn’t deserve to live anymore because of this.” Alex yelled, his voice full of anger and hatred.
“This is not a good reason to take his soul.” Death calmly stated. Enraged, Alex went over and slapped Death.
“It does not matter if you believe that it is not good enough reason as to why he should die, I am in control over you! You must do as I say.”
Binded by his contract, Death did as Alex told him to do. Yet Death was angered as his power was being used for evil. He decided to stop Alex from continuing misusing his power. He visited the girl Alex loved and whispered to her in her sleep to ask Alex for the amulet around his neck for a gift.  The following days involved the girl crying for her loved one and Alex trying to soothe her, trying to win her favour. The next day, the girl went up to Alex and accepted his request to be together, but she asked for a small gift in return. Enlightened by the return of his love, Alex promised to give her whatever she wanted. She simply stated she wanted the beautiful amulet around his neck, and without thinking, Alex took it off and handed it over to her.
When the amulet fell into the girl’s hand, darkness flashed across the room, turning off any lights and encasing the room in darkness. “Humans are so sad.” A familiar voice called out. “Did you forget our deal?” Death’s voice rang out. Temperature seemed to drop and the room was highlighted by a dark blood red color. As Alex turned to survey the room, he noticed that Death had appeared and was leaning against the girl. “She did a good job don’t you think?” His voice held a mocking tone as he leaned over to get a good look at her face. “I’m glad I was able to use her to my advantage.” He quickly snatched the amulet from her hands when he noticed Alex getting closer.
“How dare you plot against me!” Alex yelled and swung his fist in Death’s direction, but Death simply vanished and the girl was gone. Death’s laughter filled the empty room, stunning Alex as he was filled with fear. From the time Alex got to know Death, he hardly showed emotion, let alone laughter. Death’s laugh filled him with something cold. “I will now take your soul. Pity you couldn’t entertain me any longer.” 
“No! You can’t do this to me!” Alex pleaded. “Give me one more chance!” Death appeared a few feet more Alex. As Alex tried to walk towards Death, he realized his feet were sinking into the tile floor. “What? Please help me. I don’t want to die.” Trying to push himself up from the floor using his hands, his arms quickly got stuck and all the moving he did caused him to sink further. Death laughed maniacally  as Alex was sucked into the floor completely.
After Alex was gone, Death’s facial expression grew neutral again. “Well now that was boring.” He sighed before disappearing to clean up his mess. Immediately everything was as it once was. The girl was brought back to where she used to be and blinked, confused as to why she was there. All memory of those who died, including Alex, were erased from everyone’s mind.