Your Day Today | Teen Ink

Your Day Today

By Thesis, Malakoff, Texas
Thesis, Malakoff, Texas

Author's note:

What inspired me to this was a boring day and I hope you enjoy this one.

You wake from your bed all groggy from the fact you have to wake up before everyone else in the family and go to a place where it feels like a prison. Now, you know how your dad feels when you wake up late in summer and he has to go to work early.
You get out and the sun tries to cheer you up.You repel it with your grouchy face and have a face off with a star that’s millions of miles away.
You get to your bus and the only available seat there was the seat you had since the 5th grade. The one that looks like it was in multiple car wrecks and more fights than one man can have in a lifetime. At least, you don’t have anyone to share the seat. However, your friend is less fortunate. He sits right next to a kid that doesn’t allow him any room to sit, so he has to sit on the corner of the seat.

You finally reach school and your friend, Josh, wants to know if you have any memes for him. Yes, you are a meme dealer. Meme trafficking is pretty much illegal since you can’t use your phones during class, but you can do it between classes and they can’t take it if they don’t see you on your phone.

The first period bells rings, and you’re already in your seat. Your first period is politics and debate studies, but everyone just calls it Debate. The teacher’s name is Mrs. Washi and she has these special words that she says out loud like curse words. You are pretty sure she is cursing in her own language, even though she says that they aren’t. The class is pretty hard from the fact you have to take notes at lightning speed because how fast she’s going and she goes over those notes.

Next up your second period, Art 1. You’re pretty talented at art, so you have no problem with it, but for some reason, you have a 78 in there, and you keep wondering why. More importantly, your friend, Troy, talks about stuff that you couldn’t care less about and when you and your friend, Jerry, talk, it escalates to the point where you can’t keep up with what he tosses at you.

The bell rings, dismissing you, and you wait at the door for Alicia. She looks at you with her cute face. She’s so beautiful, elegant, and intelligent. You’ve decided to walk toward her to say, “Hi,” and to get to know her better. You walk up to her and stutter.
You now feel like a total idiot.
The bright side is, you made her laugh at the expense of your pride. Good for you.

The next stop, your third period, math. This is the hardest period of them all, and today is a test. You’ve got 30 minutes to finish. You brought out your A-game to deal with this test, and you get stuck on the first question. 10 minutes pass, and you're still on the first question.
Alicia’s already done with her test, and she’s now reading a book. You couldn’t even read one page before getting bored. How is she doing that? You’re finally done but you needed the entire class.
  Whew, just in time. Well, the other students were done after 15 minutes.

What can be harder than math? Well, if you can look to your left, you can see someone that you despise the most.
Welcome to fourth period!
The teacher thought it would be a good idea if we were partnered by the people we hate or don't know much about. I am partnered with a very menacing person. Her name is Emilia. Her name is not as pretty as her attitude! You get on each other’s nerves. You've got a project that’s due today at the end of the class, and you’re not even started.
Panic sets in.
You want someone to help you but all you have is… her.
You grit your teeth and mumble, “Ummm, can you help me please. I really need your help.”
She laughs then goes back to her project. She obviously heard you, so you try convincing her with food, money, and your free homework passes but nothing works.
She really wants you to fail. 10 minutes to the bell and you only have 15%ish of it done. She has a devilish grin on her face and she said this, “If you agree to my offer, you will become my slave for a month and you get a project, but if you don't, you get to be a slave nor do you get the project. Do we have a deal?”
A part of you says no don't do it but the rest is desperate.
Well after three minutes of thinking, you’re a slave for a month, but the bright side is that you're passing… for now.

Fifth period starts and you're almost done with the day. You are feeling very invincible… until Mr. Troy, your science teacher, gives you a pop quiz. Not even a fortune teller could've seen this coming.
You tried calming down. Unlike the other test, you were ready for this one. He gives you the test and start writing down answers from left to right in a flash. You were done under the first 10 minutes of class. You start having doubts about your paper. Is it passing? Did I spell that right? Do I need to reread it? These thoughts fill your mind for the rest of the period.

You go to the cafeteria, or should you say the table of infinite loop of drama. The table you sit in always have drama. You were the first one to sit in the table. You invited your friends to come over. You got what you wished for, but, oh boy, they brought cancer over with them and they came with tears and an attention magnet for everyone. You just want a good, peaceful lunch with your friends, but they brought over drama queens and stuck-ups. Those kinds of people won’t leave an area easy. They ruin your lunch and appetite everyday. Why do you still sit there? Well, there’s nowhere else to sit. Your other friends go to a different lunch schedule. So, you are stuck with these people until they leave or when lunch ends.

Sixth period comes along after fifth period. English follows math just as moon follows the sun. You have to write an essay about your favorite place to go. You immediately grab your pen and start writing. You're done in the same time as the rest of the class. The teacher says, “ I going to print some more copies for the next class, so please, be quiet.”
You remember one thing about this class. This class gets out of control easily when a teacher isn't here. One snap and it turns into a hurricane. So, you hope and pray that doesn't happen. Simon, the one who usually starts it. He suddenly starts talking softly, then gets louder over time. The entire class starts to talk. Later, the entire class is yelling to each other for no reason. Then, someone threw a wet piece of paper. After that some kids retaliate, soon the entire class starts joining in. You sometimes go with the class and sometimes not. The chaos it"s usually too much for you. After a rough twenty minutes, the teacher walks in and starts yelling at all of us.

Then, seventh period just rolls in. If the entire class falls in a second wasn’t enough, seventh period is just your style. The bags of drama is just littered across the entire room. You say something wrong or do something just a tiny bit wrong, they bite off every part of you. If you just sit in the corner, the hover over you like vultures criticizing you for not talking to them. If you talk to them too much, they gang up and squish you. Just when you thought you have to worry only about grades, life just beats you with a stick of insecurity and stabs you with the staff of responsibility-for-something.

Eighth period finally arrives. This classroom is infested with cheaters. You can practically smell them. To some, this class is easy. To others, this is the hardest class ever. Fortunately, you can pass this class easily without even trying, but the con artist have to try to cheat. There was a time not long ago. Your friend, Jason, walks up to the teacher to greet her and had a conversation with her. Your other friend, Jack, slips up and take a picture of the answers on his phone. The next day, the test starts and they hid the answers on their in their long sleeves and did not get caught. Also, there was a time when the teacher was distracted with her computer and the computer faces you, and Jack just crawls over there steals your answers and leaves. Today was different in more ways than one, because today we don’t do a thing. It was a relaxing day. You silently celebrated in your mind. You took a long, deserved nap.
When you woke up, you woke up you couldn’t believe this was a classroom. The entire room was a mess. You have permanent marker drawings on your face. Confetti was everywhere in the room. You try to find your classmates, but they are also knock-out. The teacher was nowhere to be seen.
You will probably never know what happened. You leave to the outside to go home.