Traumatizing Hike on the Mountain | Teen Ink

Traumatizing Hike on the Mountain

By SebastianPehlic, Phoenix, Arizona
SebastianPehlic, Phoenix, Arizona

Author's note:

I wrote this as a short story for my school.

Traumatizing Hike on The Mountain

By, Sebastian Pehlic

A boy named Greg was hiking Mt. Kilo with his family of 4: Mom: Early 30’s, brown hair, and green eyes. Dad: Short, young, same features as mom.  Older brother:  16, 6’0, dyed his hair blue and likes rock bands. Greg: 14, 5’10, blonde, and played soccer.  He liked the outside a lot so for his 14th birthday his parents took him for a hike.  Along the way Greg had to use the bathroom but there were no porta-potties around so he went off the trail and went to a nearby tree.  This area was surrounded by a lot of trees so Greg didn’t want to go to deep in the trees, while he was peeing on the tree, he thought he heard a muffled scream.  He thought to himself it was nothing.  But he heard it again. Thoughts. That’s the only thing he told himself, but curiosity got the best of him and he went deeper, deeper, and deeper.  Finally he was at the rim of open area again, he crouched behind a few bushes to investigate the noises.  What he saw would traumatize him for life.

He was witnessing a murder happen right in front of him! The poor young girl had blood all over her body, she seemed to be around Greg’s age. Now she lay there in her pool of blood, so sad Greg thought to himself.  He took out a sketchpad and took details of what the murderer looked like: Tall, around 6’5, black hair, very muscular, blue eyes, and seemed to have feet as big as bigfoot.  Everything he wore was black, as this tall man was leaving, his wallet dropped from his back pocket a few yards away from the body.  When he was out of sight, Greg went straight for the wallet, his name read: Ian Josephson… Strange, he thought to himself. He remembered that name from somewhere but he couldn’t remember where.  Then he remembered, Ian was a senior at Greg’s high school but got expelled for being too violent and causing a lot of havoc.  He lives on 1420th Cabbage Street, 5 miles away from the school and his house.  He then went to the girl,  he was shocked from what he saw… The girl he liked from school!  He ran back to the trail and decided not to talk to anyone about it.  He realized he had been gone for 10 minutes and his parents are furious.  The mom yelled “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN YOUNG MAN, WE WERE WORRIED SOMETHING HAPPENED TO YOU!” 
“Sorry, I went to the bathroom and I saw something cool on my way back to the trail so I followed it.”
“Don’t do that ever again.”
“Ok”
----Back at home--------
Greg asked ”What’s for dinner Mom?”
“Mashed potatoes and some chicken.”
“When will it be ready”
“In 3 hours”
“Ok”

That gave him around 2 hours to figure out why Ian murdered Greg’s crush, he went into his room pulled out a calendar, the wallets, a pen, and the sketchpad.  He started off with when Ian left and when Madi was new. Greg thought what happened on his final day, he almost strangled a girl for spilling water on him.  He has serious anger issues that can’t be controlled so everyone tries to be on his good side but the poor girl didn’t know until that day.  Greg remembered that the video of that went viral on his friends social media so he asked him if he still had the video. Fortunately he did so he watched it and found out the girl was Madi!  He was furious, but also sad that she got so unlucky to have this done to her.  He thought aloud “Screw dinner, I’m gonna go find that murderer.”  He casually walked down the stairs and said “Mom, can I go to Dino’s house?”
“Sure but don’t be late for dinner.”
“Ok”
He hates lying to his parents but this time it felt good.  He changed into jogger, a light jacket, some tennis shoes and set out for the monsters house.  He walked there with full hatred towards him, and he had only one thing on his mind - get rid of him.
He had his gun loaded and ready to go, he just needed to find his target.  He soon arrived at Ian’s house and knocked on the door, “Hello, is Ian home?”
His mom opened the door and responded “No, he went out to a nearby mountain to go hike. He should be back soon though.”
“Thanks. I’ll catch up to him.”
“Ok have a nice night and be safe.”
“Thanks, you too.”
He knew where to find Ian so he head for the same spot where he witnessed the murder.  As expected, he was there trying to cover his evidence.  Greg knew that Ian was curious finding out where a noise came from so he picked up a nearby rock and through over Ian and hit a tree across him. THUNK. Thankfully, he went to check it out, Greg very carefully walked up behind him and shot. A quiet thud came as the lifeless body dropped to the ground.  Greg sat there in the pool of blood processing what just happened.  He was a mix of things: Happy, sad, scared, and angry.  He had one thing left in mind, he looked down in the chamber and saw there was a bullet left . He lifted the weapon and raised it to his head - THUD.