Soccer friendship | Teen Ink

Soccer friendship

May 15, 2017
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I inspired by articles about Syria.

¨We should take a picture with a Syrian baby, while Jack play with a dirty Syrian boy, it would be good for the cover¨My mom said.
I just continue reading my book, we are in the plane going to Syria, actually I really care about Syria they are in a crisis. Last week I read a something new about Syria, cities were destroyed, people need food and clothes and healthcare . However for my mom and dad it was just to look good in front all the world, I mean is the US's presidents, he have to. I hope when we arrive to Syria, they open their eyes and see how much they need help. As soon as we arrived to Damascus, my parents were getting ready, I am so bored so I decided to go outside and see how it looks in real life. I asked my mom, she said yes but on the condition to have my bodyguard and the photographer with me. We decided to start at the archetypal crossroads, I do not know what to expect, poor people or rich people or in between? I have been in the car about 12 minutes, we are going to get there about 30 more minutes so I decided to practice my Arabic with my bodyguard, I consider myself as a good Arabic speaker thanks to all the classes I have taken for many years. Half an hour later we are here, it is beautiful, people having a good time, kids playing soccer, it seems relax, however we are in Damascus ¨The Better side¨.
¨Flash¨ the sound of the camera wake me up, the photographer is taking some good pictures for the magazine.
¨You should go and play with the others kids¨ The bodyguard, Robert, says.
¨ I don't know my mom will get mad if I get dirty at th...¨ Before I end talking, a soccer ball touch me in the head.
¨C´mon give me the ball American boy¨ A syrian boy says, ¨You know what? You should play, If you know how, of course¨
¨Oooo¨Robert start to make noises same as the rest of the people.
So I take the decision to play with them and show them how good I play soccer. The time pass by so fast, when we are done playing, I realize that my suit is in the floor and all dirty, my hair is a mess and I am all sweat, sticky and super hungry.
¨Robert can we leave and eat something?¨ I said.
¨there's a really good restaurant at the corner¨ The same syrian boy who ¨invited¨ me to play soccer says, his name was Elias.
¨Do you want to go a Syrian restaurant?¨ Robert asks.
¨Yeah sure, do you want to go with us Elias?¨ I decide to invite him, he should be hungry too.
Elias instantly smiles and says
¨Of course¨
It took us about 4 minutes to get there by walking, we decided to sit down next to the window where you can see people doing a traditional dance, people selling clothes and toys. Meanwhile we are waiting for our food we start talking about how is here and some storytimes,
¨Look!! Our food guys¨ says Elias
The waiter is in his way to our table and I can already smell the food, as soon as the plates where in our table we just eat like never, we literally clean the plate.
¨Robert before we leave can we just go to a local store and buy somo souvenirs¨ I say, thinking about my friends and teachers.
¨Of course, I have to buy some for my fiance¨ Robert says, he's going to get married in about 2 months, ¨But I don't know where we can go. Do you have any ideas Elias?¨
¨ I know a local store near here¨”He says
¨Do you want to go with us?¨I said, I really like his company but I remember his parent would be worried, ¨Ïf your parent are okay with that, you don't have to¨
¨I live by myself, with a group of friends, they saw me with you, so it is all right¨”He said smiling.
Now i feel all dumb, I know a lot of kids lost their parents but I thought Elias wasn't one of those kids.
But thanks to Robert and a his bad jokes save the moment.
This time we went by car and Elias was giving directions to the driver and the annoying photographer was taking pictures like crazy because ¨A syrian kid speaking english and giving directions to a america¨ that's how he said, so close minded.  
We got at this local store, I like it, it really show their culture, I bought a lot of cool souvenirs and Syrian candies, we were about to get in a car when I see a soda can, I really don't want to go back to the hotel and be bored, so I kicked it to Elias to play soccer, he got the idea so he kicked to my direction, Robert and the driver got the idea so they were just following us on the car, I know we have been playing for hours but I feel it is like 5 minutes. A scream took us of our soccer game, when I see where are we I just can't believe it, we are really near Aleppo, ¨The bad side¨
¨Jack, Elias come right now!!!¨Robert yelled at us.
I can hear shots, every second more near us. Elias react faster than me, and take my hand leading me to the car, but he was shoot at the his ankle, I just hear him screaming and crying, I don't know what to do, Robert runs to us, he carry Elias meanwhile he tries to protect me too. We are so close to get in the car but smoke and more shot interfere in our way, next thing that I see is our car, the car who could save our lives is destroyed. I do not what's happening but they shot Robert he instantly felt to the ground with Elias, Robert tries to get up but they shot more at him and a car´s door is above me and I can't move, I guess this is the end.
¨I am sorry, that's my fault¨ I say, he could live better, Robert could live better, I could.
¨Ït is all right, I am going to see my family there¨”He smiles, cover in blood, I don't even know if it's his blood or Robert or mine, probably a combination of all three. I dont see Robert breathing anymore.
The only thing I am thinking right now is my parents, I hope they live a great life and open their eyes to the real world and how much we all need help. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.