Solange and the Inu | Teen Ink

Solange and the Inu

By GodWriting, Palatine , Illinois
GodWriting, Palatine , Illinois

Somewhere out there
Someone's fighting for you
And as long as you remember them,
You're never alone.

Author's note:

Creating is what I do Best!

I was left for dead by my so-called “friends”. They thought I was long gone and had passed away but no. I woke up on the shore, not too far from town. I could've gone back and tell them I was alive, but I didn't. And there are two reasons why I didn't. The first reason was I could barely move my body, I was so weak from being swept away by the storm I couldn't even move my fingers. The second reason was why bother? They weren't my friends anymore. I've lied to them, cheated them, and for what? My own selfish purposes. It's not like I wanted to do it, lie and cheat them. I needed to. It was the only way to keep my life safe. I felt like maybe this was for the best. It's best for them they think I'm dead. I slowly closed my eyes, waiting for all my energy to leave my body so I could die in peace and let my body be swept away by the tide or some wild animal to come walking by and eat me. But it seemed fate had different plans for me when I heard a low chuckle coming from my left.

“Well now, what do we have here? You don't see pretty, young girl dead on the beach now-a-days, do ya?” I was able to turn my head to see a small old man, with a large walking stick. The strange this about this man was that he had floppy dog ears and tail. He wore clothing that weren't familiar with this region of the world, but I knew what species he was.

"You're a...Inu…?” I questioned in a low and weak voice. An Inu was a creature that was half-human, half-dog. People back in town said that Inu are legends and fairytales, but I guess this old man proved them wrong.

“You got one right, lassie.” The Inu laughed. “My name is Midori Yari. And you are…?” He asked. I couldn't answer the old Inu’s question because I blacked out soon after he said his name.

The smell of Rosemary tea slowly awoken me from my slumber. I looked around to see I was no longer on the beach. Instead, I was in a small bed in a small hut. I sat up, my strength somehow returning to me and looked around and saw Mr. Midori making the Rosemary tea I smelled.

“That Root Herb I gave you seemed to have down the trick, lassie.” Mr. Midori said as he poured two cups of tea. He knew I was awake? But I didn't make any noise. Mr. Midori walked over and handed one of the cups of tea to me. I accepted the cup and took a small sip of it. “How does it taste, lassie?” The old Inu asked.

I hesitated at first before answering, “This is the best Rosemary tea I've ever tasted.” Mr. Midori laughed and smiled at me.

“That's good to hear. Now, what's your name?” He asked.

“Oh, it’s...it’s Solange.” I answered.

“Solange, eh?” Mr. Midori thought of something before saying, “A fine name that is.”

“Thank you, sir.” I smiled. Then I looked at the walls of the hut and, to my surprise, there were many spears and swords hanging on hooks on the walls. Mr. Midori noticed me looking and followed my gaze.

“Ah, I see you've noticed my collection.” He said before sipping his tea.

“...Mr. Midori, do you use these weapons?” I asked, curiously and cautiously.

“I use to use them. I fought many battles and defeated many opponents when I was younger. I was even a general during the Hidden World War.” He answered.

“The Hidden World War?” I repeated. “What's that?” Mr. Midori set down his tea cup and was silent for a few good second before answering.

“...The Hidden World War was a war between creatures and monsters only. All monsters from everywhere either fought against, or with the Dark Legion. The Dark Legion was a band of powerful monsters that despised the humans and their kind, and they wanted them eliminated. However, there were monsters that cared for the humans and wished for them to be safe. When I was young, about your age, Solange, I picked up my spear and fought against the Dark Legion. To protect what I loved and cared for. But in the end, I was only one of the few survivors of that Great War.”

After listening to Mr. Midori story, the entire hut fell into silence. I've never heard such a story before. I didn't know what to say or do.

“Lassie…” The Inu spoke. “I can tell by the calluses on your hands that you've used a spear before, yes?”

“O-Oh, well...yessir, I have.” Mr. Midori seemed to have thought something over before looking at me. “Solange...How would you like to train with me?”

“Pardon?”

“My time in the world isn't going to last much longer, and I want to pass my skills down to someone who's skilled and has hidden potential inside them. Just by looking at you, I can tell you have a LOT of potential.” Mr. Midori explained.

“But sir...Wouldn't it best to pass your skills onto to another one of your own kind?” I asked. At this, Mr. Midori’s expression turned sad.

“I'm afraid...there aren't many Inu left in this world.” He answered. “But I think...with just a little luck, my skills would be best suited with you.”

“Me? Really?” I questioned.

“Perhaps our meeting may have been a coincidence, or perhaps...it may have been fate.” He said. “What do you say, lassie? Would you like to become my student?” I gazed at the old Inu, dumbfounded and shocked. No one has ever asked me such a serious question before. And yet…

“Of course.” I answered. “I will gladly become your student...Master.”

It's been months since that encounter with Master Midori. So far, I've been training with him from dawn to dusk. When I wasn't training, I was wit the eating or helping Master Midori around the farmland around his hut. Pulling weeds from the gardens, cooking meals, tending to the animals that came by. Pretty simple tasks. Master Midori even taught me how to balance heavy vases on the spear he had given me as “Welcoming” gift. It was a pretty basic spear, but he said I would get a better one once I improved in my skills.

One day, Master Midori told me to go and pick up some things from the market in town. I gladly accepted the task and got to it. I arrived in town, with a hood covering my face. I didn't want anyone knowing that I survived, I didn't want to cause rumors or gossip. I picked up all the things that Master Midori needed and was about to walk back when I saw them. My old friends. I froze when I saw them sitting at a table outside near a fast food joint. I didn't know what to do. If I walked past them, there was a chance they would see my face, and I didn't want to risk it. But that was the way out of town and if I went the other, I wouldn't make it back in time to finish my training with Master Midori for the day. I swallowed and held my head down, having no choice. I hesitated but started walking their way. I kept my head down and hoped nothing went wrong. However, things did go wrong. I tripped. I tripped and fell, dropping the groceries. My friend, Lindsey, noticed and hurried over to help me.

“Are you OK?” She asked.

“Ye-Yes…” I stuttered, trying to disguise my voice. “I'm fine.”

“Here, let me get those for you.” My other friend, Jason, offered. Just as he was about to reach for one of the fallen bags, I snatched it away from him.

“No. I'm quite capable of getting it myself.” I told him.

“Are you sure--”

“I'm sure.” I answered, picking up the last of things that fell. Suddenly, I saw my last friend, Chris, giving me his silly suspicious look he did when he thought something was up.

“You sound familiar.” Chris said, coming up to me.

“I-I do?” I asked, worried.

“Yeah...Are you a famous person?!” He asked, excitedly. “Are you hiding from the paparazzi?!”

“Oh, no. I'm just heading home.” I told them, excusing myself. But Jason stopped me by saying, “It's getting pretty late, do you want us to walk you home?”

“What? No! I mean, no thank you.” I quickly told them.

“Are you alright?” Jason asked. “You sure don't--”

“For the last time, Jason! I'm fine!” I shouted. That's when I froze again. I blew it. I looked and saw Jason, Lindsey, and Chris staring at me funny.

“How...How do you know my name?” Jason asked. “Do I know you?” That's when I bolted out of there, carrying the groceries and out of town. I could hear footsteps coming from behind me. I took the risk and turned my head to see Jason and the others following me. I panicked. I couldn't lead them back to Master Midori. I took a sharp turn into the forest nearby and tried to hide, but I felt Chris tackle me to the ground, making me drop the groceries again. Chris removed my hood and gasped dramatically. When Lindsey and Jason saw my face, they gasped as well. I looked away from their gaze but pushed Chris off of me and stood up and faced them.

I hesitated, “Hey guys. Long time no see.” Then came silence for another few good seconds before I sighed and started picking up the fallen items again.

“Solange…?” Jason mumbled.

“Yeah, it's me, Jason.” I answered, still picking up the groceries. “Deal with it.”

“You're alive?” Lindsey said, stating the obvious. I suppressed to roll my eyes and just nodded my head.

“Or...This is the ghost of Solange!” Chris exclaimed. I flicked Chris in the forehead.

“If I was a ghost, I wouldn't be able to do that.” I explained.

“Solange…” Jason started out. “I can't believe you're alive! We all thought you were dead! Where have you been?” I didn't say a word. “Solange? What's wrong?” Jason asked.

“Nothing, Jason.” I answered.

“But where have you been?” Lindsey asked this time. Before I could answer, there was rustling in the bushes nearby. We all looked and out came Master Midori. I looked surprised to see him, Master Midori never left the hut or his farm ground. The others gasped in shock when they saw the old Inu. At first, I think they thought he was a monster, which he was. But I turned to them and said, “Don't worry, this is Master Midori Yari.”

“Master?” Jason questioned.

“Yes.” Master Midori chimed in. “You see, kids, I found Solange here dying on the beach months ago. I took her in and she's been living with me ever since. I've also been training her in martial arts, as well as using a spear.”

“Master…” I mumbled, wanting to tell him to stop, but held my tongue.

“Wait. Solange, you've been living with a Monster?!” Chris explained.

I glared at Chris, “He's not a monster! He's a wonderful teacher and extremely nice!”

“Solange.” Jason began. “Why didn't you come back home?” I looked at Jason with cold eyes but didn't answer him. Then, Master Midori stepped forward and said to Jason, “My boy, I'm afraid it is getting late. Solange and I must return to my hut. It was a pleasure to meet all of you, though.” Master Midori then turned to me and said, “Come Solange.”

I nodded my head. “Yes, Master.” And with that, Master Midori and I walked off, out of the forest and leaving my friends. In my head, I was praying to the stars that I wouldn't have to see Chris, Lindsey, and/or Jason ever again…