Two Pots of Gold | Teen Ink

Two Pots of Gold

By NineLeaves, Clonsilla D15, Other
NineLeaves, Clonsilla D15, Other

No one should be the stepping stone in your life.

"It's not that I don't care......it's just that I don't know how to"
Moore Lane, Forauna

-------------------------------------------------------------------
3 Days before the Disappearance of Mark Milltown
A dark haired girl smiled lazily beneath a pear tree surrounded by fallen leaves of auburn and gold.
The bright sun shone on her and acted like a golden blanket covering the girl's sleeping facet, not forgetting to add a little shimmer to the light streaks of crimson on the very tips of her wavy hair,
Behind her long forest-thick lashes hides a pair of starry, but prideful obsidian eyes that ignore the noisy leaves doing their happy dance.
The splendour of the panorama was too beautiful to interrupt, but sadly the atmosphere had to be broken, in order to continue our story, by a canny laughter that grew closer and closer.....
A small, coffee haired girl that looked like 11, 12 with a buoyant smile came into sight. Her two curly pigtails bounced up and down as se skipped towards her sister, her white dress flowing behind.  She stopped when she approached her destination, took a deep breath and bellowed at the very top of her lungs,"Stupiiiiiid Maiiiii wake up, the sun's setting down".
The girl called Mai woke immediately and sat up slowly not forgetting to glare at her little sister with blazing eyes.
The little girl batted her big honey brown eyes innocently and stammered uncomfortably," W...What, W....Why the glare?, You should thank me for running all the way here and reminding you that Father's gonna be back in like.....
Her words were cut off by Mai's  unexpected question," Wait Joy, what time is it now?"
Joy hastily glanced down at her hello-kitty watch, replied," Exactly six....So?".
Mai exhaled slowly,  spreading a wide queer smile across her face," So, don't you see that the sun is setting? "
She retorted fiercely, " Obviously yeah, and?"
" And, Mai continued mysteriously, Don't you see that you neeeeed to stop your old gab!". Then she burst out laughing, ignoring Joy's reaction; her face started to turn into a vulgar green colour.
Uh-Oh, Our Mai's snail-like brain finally realised something awful was about to rise out of the shadows and she without a second thought bolted home....paying no heed to Young Joy's angry shouts coming from far behind.
  Moore Lane Village: Mai's P.O.V
I drank the glass of water Jules had given, gulping it down to the last drop before carefully answering his question, giving a hollow laugh initially," Nothing really, just happened to play a little racing game with Joy, that's all!".
Jules Milltown, my younger stepbrother gazed at me with a perplexed look imprinted upon his pale face; his eyebrows vaguely creased together.
" So, my point is, where is Joy now?", Jules said calmly, though his expression told me that this was no joke.
I shrugged my shoulders, and pointed out casually," Look  perhaps she's just on her way".Jules sighed, sliding a hand through his curly black hair and ruffled vaguely so that it seemed more tousled than normal.
"Just how long do you think your hiding Missus Joy Rose Milltown!", he muttered quietly under his breath but it was loud enough for me to hear, and Young Joy to come crawling down the roof.
Apparently this little nuisance was concealing herself on the roof while listening to our conversation; there was this loose tile on the roof and if you lift and move it to one side, you can peer into the space where the tile was once, and eavesdrop on people's conversations without them realizing.
Joy Milltown closed an eye, while holding her hands tightly behind her back and grinned cheekily at her brother's stony face. "How'd know? I thought I hid quite well!".
Face Palm. Is this child folly or what? There's clearly roof shingles on the lavish, haemic carpet!
But.....Just as I suspected, the anger on Jule's pale countenance disintegrated. I turned my back, deliberately dragging my footsteps upstairs, leaving their little conversation.

" Overcoming the foggiest mist will bring you the longest ladder to Heaven"

I kept the door ajar, so I can eavesdrop on Jules lecture to poor Joy, Haha not.
This is what you get for being cheeky to me, Joy Milltown!
I threw my head off, cackling hysterically, exceedingly pleased with myself. I opened the lid of a small bottle of ink, slowly dipping a white, swan feather into the jet black while anticipating a long lecture.
1 minute passed WHAT THE HELL??!! WHY HASN'T IT BEGUN YET!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I rushed out hurriedly, taking three steps at a time until I touched the haemic carpet embroidered by golden flowers. " Ay! What happened, why didn't I hear a long lecture like I had anti—", I immediately stopped dead in my tracks. A tall, dark haired man with Galaxy eyes hidden behind a pair of gold-rimmed glasses, curled his lips in disapproval.
I casted a quick glance at Jules and Joy; they didn't look quite happy.
Forcing a welcoming smile, I put on a lively tone ," Hehe, Welcome home Father, How was your trip?". 
I enquired, trying to study his facial expression; his obsidian eyes showed aggravation and unsatisfactory.
Mark Milltown grunted and slammed the door behind him with a loud thud! Jules smiled widely and called for Greta, our house maid; came trotting into the hallway, her straight hair fixed into a messy bun, left loose a few strings of grey, and soapy bubbles on  her wrinkly hands. It was very obvious she wasn't fully prepared for Father's Arrival.

"Welcome home Master from your exhausting journey, the bath will be ready in a moment's time, in the meantime, please have some supper!", she said hoarsely, gesturing him to the dining room. To my astonishment, Father's eyes passed right through Greta as if she was air, and made his way up the spiral staircase, just like the way he ignored me.
Jules apologised to Greta and ushered her back to work.
"O....k, that was very queer!", I exclaimed, " Did you two irritate Father in any way?".
Joy shook her head and contemplated," Perhaps, Father....encountered something obnoxious during his journey?".
I stroked my chin softly, "That seems to me like a possibili----".
We all frore to the ground, noises, loud, angry shouts came from above. 
"I TOLD YOU I'M FINE!!, WOMEN ARE HELL BLOODY VEXING”.
Father's thunderous shouts shook the ceiling greatly, and froze my pounding blood.
There were muffled shrill cries and complaints following those ear-deafening shouts, which also increases the chance of me getting an ear infection without effort. I noticed Jules was clutching his sweater tightly; miniscule drops of warm sweat starting to appear and Joy biting her dry lip, looking up at the ceiling unevenly.
" MARK. WHAT HAPPENDED, WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS? DO YOU NOT LOVE ME ANYMORE????"
It was my beautiful and intelligent stepmother Christine Everson weeping through hoarse screams.(Jules and Joy's  mother).
Pathetic pity was arousing in my heart but I pushed it down vigorously, hypnotising  myself.

NO, MAIYA MILLTOWN,  DO. NOT. FEEL. SORRY. FOR. HER. IF IT WASN'T FOR HER, WE WOULD BE LIKE THE  HAPPY FAMILY WE USED TO BE; JUST . FATHER . MOTHER AND.....ME!
YES, JUST US THREE LIVING ECSTATICALLY----
 Subduing down the Anger, I clenched my knuckles till their white, gaining control once again. SLAM! Father's outraged footsteps scrammed out of stepmother's room, arousing whimpers in the deep corners of the house. While still engrossed in my thoughts, a white shadow hurried frantically upstairs, leaving me dumbstruck. Finally my snail-like brain managed to apprehend.
 Hey! Jules Milltown, what do you think you are doing!
I tossed a 'stay here' look to Joy.  Before leaving, I caught a glimpse of  Joy's lower lip wobbling like she was gonna burst into tears any second now.
What I overlooked was a very peculiar smile lifted at the tiny corners of her red lips, mouthing the words, 'Malum' meaningfully as if she was slowly drinking a glass of  bitter wine mixed with five different ingredients.
Upstairs
Treading lightly like a mouse, I busted into Stepmother's room. Just as I have suspected, she was on her knees; her beautiful, wavy cinnamon hair covering a half of her heart face. She was too miserable to notice my presence, I coughed  uncomfortably, spluttering the words," Um....Father he didn't mean anything, he was just...., I searched around my head looking for an aptle word, "eh....cranky, yes he was tired and cranky of his looooonng journey, You know people at his age tend to be on their menstruation," I laughed wryly, a drop of sweat trickling down from my forehead.
Christine Everton shook her head persistently, hissing," No, no that's not true. He hates me." She clutched her puffy, velvet gown, watery eyes beckoning Jules to come over.  "Oh—Jules my dear child, what will become of us?!", she sobbed with a silk embroidered handkerchief.

I rolled my eyes, getting tired of persuading and groaned impulsively," Please, you know that you Christine Everson is that invidious, precious pearl that Father cherishes, so stop victimising yourself".
Jules cannot help but raise an eyebrow as he glanced down at the floorboards, his tousled hair concealing a vaguely complex expression. "Mother it's gonna be grand, just like Mai had mentioned, so please eliminate those tears".
He consoled, his countenance softening. Christine Everson stopped whimpering, staring absent-mindedly at her boy for a split second, she leaned forward and embraced him firmly, exclaiming," My boy, my Jules, what would mother become without you?!". A trail of tears followed as Jules pulled a warm smile, his hands ruffling into his pockets and just like I had anticipated, began wiping his mother's endless tears with his handkerchief ; Neat blanket stitches circling around a red breast robin perched upon a rough branch laiden with a few patches of glittering snow  .
The smell of fresh mint wavered upon the room, making my appetite rise.
Oh yeah! I just remembered I haven't took supper yet.
I took a quick scan at the loving mother and son, realising that my part is officially over, I turned the shiny, metal doorknob slightly. But  my actions were halted by Christine Everson‘s low calls.
"Hold one Mai....I'm very sorry for the inconvenience I had just caused', she apologised sincerely, cherry-lips curving into a saccharine smile,  which promptly aroused queasiness. But I am a very nice girl so I won't rip off her mask....yet.
Playing along, I smiled arrogantly," Inconvenience? No, no. Indeed not, how can a concubine cause any inconvenience?".
With that I left the room, ignoring her incredulous gasps. 
"Maiya Milltown, one day I will destroy you, it's either you live or I die!"

An eerie silence emerged, filling the desolated room. Only audible was the broken nails, falling aside.

'Do not mock a pain that you haven't endured'
Footsteps. I hear trudging steps advancing to the core sheepishly. Casting a awkward glance at the neatly-piled cherry floorboards, I bided my time for the rightful moment. By and by, Jules came to a sudden halt, enquired vigorously," You're not gonna say anything?". A steel look penetrating through my tangled emotions concealed securely by the heart.
My eyes browsed through his stern look, vaguely miffed by the inexplicable distant in his tone. "Pardon me? Say what, and what for?", I retorted, burrowing my eyebrows in complete bewilderment, of course all deliberately. My strong ego triumphant against logic. I have always had a rather obvious defect since birth called Strong Ego. 
Just taking a close look at the name, it should be a piece of cake to perceive-Well I hope so, unless...inside that dead skull is pristine air.
"Your ego is manipulating over sense, as usual," tuts Jules, in shaking his head, disapprovingly. An arm lengthened in sustain of his forehead gently.

He exhaled wearily," Fine seeing as you're this bewildered, I'll allow you one hint-Fidelity".
Fidelity....Is he trying to implicit the conflict earlier on?  I snorted bitterly, " Oh, stepmother's sickening apology, now I recall. I was simply answering her in a honest way, detaching her from the shadows!".
"At least, make one that contains the element, diplomatic. Tis' no necessary good outcome will result in aggravation of a powerful woman".
"Powerful?, I mutter under breath and then emitting a sneer in disdain ,"On the bed or what?".
"I tell you Jules, that woman might look all cordial and decent outwardly, but it's crystal clear of what is hiding under that too-saccharine-to-be-true mask."
I jeered wryly, suppressing down the intense hatred aimed at Jules. Why am I trying out all my anger and vexation on him!? He is a mere outsider, nothing more than a pawn. Mai wake up.....he's—
A cold touch abruptly shattered my floating comtemplations into smithereens surprisingly impairing the hatred promptly.  Rotating in a 180 degree angle a skinny lad hazily arose; in a large white t-shirt upon his fragile knees, acting like a kilt of some kind under a pair of scruffy jeans, messy, natural coffee curls scattered all over the place, concealing half the face, exposing a lopsided grin. Just so typical of him. Brushing Jules's bony fingers off my aching shoulder; due to erecting my legs too long and spitting irony all over the place, has very unfortunately impacted immensely on my empty loss of valuable saliva and faculty of tolerance.

But my pride, my ego chose to cremate this essential common sense into fueling, sustaining this retarded stupidity, nonsensically. Only to triumphantly succeed this meaningless battle between—Black n' White. I stare absent-minded.
"Come, it's foolish to agrue about something that is not prominent and necessary". I looked at him. Then sighing,"Suppose your right. Quell this without force".
"Wise choice, mate". He pulled a cheesy grin, I averted away bashfully, digging mild nails in to the center of my open palm.

Bored. Bored, I was. Was actually anticipating terribly stomach-aching tribulations of grieves.
Looks like I'll have to turn the steer to a different direction. Hopefully I don't collide into a stubborn ice-berg...or I'll sink low, very low till these uncanny shadows at the bottom of the swamp swallows me up whole.
No leftover morsels of flesh. No nothing.
I was disgruntled by myself. Rash and Foolish, these two trait tags I fear will have to.......stick stubbornly onto me for the rest of my years.
Inserting a hand into a pocket, I managed to grope out a fizzy ball before I toss it promptly into my mouth carelessly overlooking the expiry date.
Yum, yum. That was all I had felt, when the grape, sour fizz had bursted out with zesty, juicy flavor, and spread rapidly across my hyper tongue, curling in an arc of satisfactory.
Besides what more could you want, with such graceful delicacy twirling coquettishly in circular motion around a timid tongue.
A sudden cold, unbearable feeling emerged out from the blue and makes it way, heading towards my stomach.......
"Toilet!!—", I yelled, clutching onto my pain-stabbing stomach as I flew like a wild chicken to the nearest bathroom.
'Cluck,cluck, COCK-AH-DOOD-LE-DOO'
I fumbled clumsily with the lock and paused to a sudden, breathing unsteadily.

Uhhhh, Heaven man..........The flowing waters from the flusher was music to my ears, I thought as I slammed the chestnut door in utter relief. 
Yes...I have reached Nirvana.
I skipped down the stairs lively, Tra-la-laaaaa, Humming in gleeful notes, not paying heed to where I set my careless steps.
Before the cone of time to rejoice fully, I slipped on one foot and missed a step. Guess what's coming? Next I came rolling down the staircase like a giant rice gluten ball on my bloody head!
BONG! BAM! BANG! CRACK! 
MY BONES—AHHHH!!!! Someone howled in complete agony. Someone giggled in mischievous dispicable. Someone elbowed his way in whilst roaring like a lion on his period, gripping a vegetable knife. "WHERE IS THAT SCREAMING CHICKEN?!"
Someone quickly extended an arm in effort to detain the madman, quickly opening his frore mouth, simultaneously subduing down the odd sense of humor he found escalating in small increments ,"Father—it-it's Mai".
Deathly shifted over and combines Awkward to reproduce Silence.............for this brutal truth.