In the Nick of Time | Teen Ink

In the Nick of Time

By ORANGE0717, Beryl, Utah
ORANGE0717, Beryl, Utah

It was just another summer night at the Hovelen's farm.  The fireflies could be seen through the livin'-room window, country crickets could be heard singin' in Mama's garden and the full moon was floatin' just above that big old elm tree, while the pond glittered in it's light.  The bullfrogs also added ther music to the night's orchestra, as the horsetail reeds were swayin' in the breeze.

Michal Hovelen spent the last of his allowance on a six-inch lollipop and the latest "Incredible Hulk comic" at Jensen's Drug Store, earlier in the week.  So now he was moneyless, out of reading materials and sweets.

But as he was sitting on the porch steps, in complete boredom, he smelt the enchanting scent of Mama's famous chocolate chip cookies.  He knew full well that Mama would say, "Mike keep your sticky, little fingers out of them cookies you rascal!" then would tell him, "Go wash up, ya smell like the barn."

He'd have to wait till dinner to get a cookie, if he tried now he'd sure as heck end up in the tub.

"Well I ain't gonna spend good daylight washin'." he thought, "But dinner won't be done anytime soon." He said in sorrow, as he sat on those old wooden steps.

The smell of chocolate goodness kept attacking his senses, and caused his sweet tooth to start actin' up again... Only this time he didn't have any money to buy sweets in town.

So after weighin' out his options, he decided that, "ain't nobody gonna miss one cookie.  Only problem is Mama's in the kitchen, and she ain't had any quibbles about taking a wooden spoon to my snatchin' hand before... Can't see how this time would be any different." Mike thought out loud on a sigh.  But the sweet craving tooth won out in the end.

So sneakin' into the kitchen silent as a mouse, 'cause wisely he took his shoes off on the front porch, Mike started to make his way to tray that was almost over flowin' in chocolate chip heaven; never noticin' his mama grabbing the wooden spoon or the slight movement of her feet, as she positioned herself for the lunge.  When Michal felt that sharpe pain of wood against flesh he shoot out of that kitchen faster then a rabbit shoots out of a garden from a shot gun blast! 

Straight to the pond he ran, barefoot and all. It wasn't till later that day, when his pa was home, that he finally ventured out to the house again.

A couple days later, Michal’s mama asked, “Mike dearie, do you think you can run to your Dad’s work and give him his lunch?”
Mike almost replied, “Mama, you know I was planning on going fishin’ with the gang.”
But his Mom spoke before he could, “He also left his watch - the forgetful man, you can run it over to him also.”
Well there was never an item that that Mike liked more then his dad’s pocket watch. It was made out of solid gold, with an inscription that said Michal G. Hovelen. It was given to his daddy from his daddy’s daddy, and one day it would be Michal’s; instantly takin’ up the opportunity to carry the wonderful watch all the way to his pa’s work.
Mike said, “I guess I could run it over quickly. After all, Pa can’t work through the day without his lunch. That should be considered a sin having a hard workin’ man go all day without a smidgen of food. But I have to do it quickly Ma, the boys ain’t gonna wait forever, ya know?”
And with that being said, Mike proudly started to walk to town, with his daddy’s watch hangin’ from his old worn-out overall pocket.
It was just under a two mile walk to town, but with the hot summer sun bakin’ everything in its path, the walk felt like an eternity for poor Mike. Slowly he started to daydream about the pond…
“It’d be shaded with that big willow tree,” he said with a sigh, “the cool water would lap against my feet and the grass would be so nice to lie in,” thought Mike longingly.

He was day-dreamin’ so deeply, he didn’t notice the watch slip from his pocket and fall into his daddy’s lunch basket.
Well he made it all the way to his pa’s work before he realized that the watch was gone. A bolt of fear went straight through his heart and he was just ‘bout to turn around to go lookin’ for it when he heard his daddy’s co-worker, Mr. Bill.
“Well if that don't beat all, ain’t cha little Michal Hovelen?” Mr. Bill said, “I see you’re bringin’ ya pa’s lunch for him.” Whilst talkin’, Mr. Bill started to walk up to Mike.
It was then and there that Mike realized that Mr. Bill was in a yakking mood, which is bad for anyone in a hurry. You see everyone in town knows that Mr. Bill could talk up a storm about anythin’ really; he’s the town gossip and the person everyone goes to for any juicy news ‘round these parts.
So when Mr. Bill asked, “How’s the farm doin’, boy?”
Mike knew that he had to think of an excuse to leave and he had to do it fast too, or else he might end up talkin’ with Mr. Bill ‘till the sun went down.
Suddenly Mike felt an arm drop around his shoulders… Scared him clear out of his wits it did! He turned around so fast, that he on accidently hit the offender with the lunch basket.
“Gosh Pa, ya scared me! You should know better than to spook a person when they’s holdin’ your lunch!” was what Michal said when we saw who he hit.
Letting out a chuckle, Mr. Hovelen said, “Guess your right about that. Did you come all this way just to bring me my lunch?”
“Yes I did.” replied Mike happily, “I also brought…” a look of complete horror pasted Mike’s face - then quick as lightning he handed the basket to his dad and went running down the road.
Mr. Hovelen yelled out to him, “Mike! Where do you think you’re going in such a hurry?”
“The pond, pa!” Yelled Mike instantly, as he kept running, “The boys are waiting for me!”
“Does your Ma know?”
“Yes!” was his answer that could be barely heard ‘cause he was so far away.
Mike spent the rest of the afternoon lookin’ for that watch. When he had to head home a look of sorrow, terror and exhaustion could be seen on that small face.
He was all but crying when he opened up his front door and when he finally grew enough courage to face his pa and tell him that he lost the watch, he looked ready to pass out. So you could only imagine the surprise when he saw the golden chain peeking from his dad’s work slacks.